Hidden Gifts - 10

Printer-friendly version

A New Style of Education: Hidden Gifts

By: Annette MacGregor

An authorized story, based on the characters and environment of A New Style of Education by Karen Page.


Part 10

The ringing of my alarm woke me with plenty of time for everything in the morning, or so I thought. With a yawn, I tried to climb out of bed to do my exercises. "What the heck is …" I realized I was all twisted up in my sheets. I guess it had been a more stressful night than I thought. Looking at the twisted sheets, it appeared that I'd won the wrestling match, but it took me a little longer than normal to make the bed. I wondered a bit about the sheets. It had, after all, been quite a while since the last time it had happened. Nothing like a bit of exercise to relieve some stress. I took my time, and did a good relaxing workout. When I was done, I took a nice relaxing shower.

I came out of the bathroom wearing the panties and bra, and went to get the 'things'. I may as well get them warmed up as soon as possible. I shuddered at the cold on my warm body. Then, I put on the blouse, muttering about the buttons on the wrong side.

I guess I was a little louder than I should have been on that, because Renee called out. "You okay in there, Dan?"

"Yeah, I'm just complaining about the buttons again.

I heard her laugh. "You'll get used to it, Dan. Let me know when you're ready for help with the wig."

Do I want to get used to it? She's right, though, if I stick with it, I will get used to it. "Come on over, when you're ready Renee. I'm decent." I took care of the skirt and then tried on the shoes. No, I think I'll need the pantyhose like I was afraid of. No, that's TIGHTS. The straps on the shoes seemed to rub a bit as I took a few tentative steps around.

I slipped off the shoes, and began pulling on the tights. Hmmm, let's see if I can take care of this WITHOUT asking questions. With the knee highs, it helped to get the feet on before pulling it up, so these are probably the same. Putting thought to action, I slid my feet in and positioned the thin fabric. It wouldn't do to poke a finger through these things. Then, one leg at a time, I worked it over my knees, and then up my thighs. Danged skirt's in the way. I shoulda put on the TIGHTS first. I thought to myself as I realized how much trouble it would be getting them over my bum with the skirt in the way. Oh well, nothing for it. I unzipped the skirt and let it drop. With the skirt out of the way, I was able to pull up the seat. It was a pain keeping the shirt, no blouse straight under the skirt before. I wonder if tucking the tail of this BLOUSE in will help keep things in place? Why not? I tucked the tails of the blouse into the top of the tights, and then pulled the skirt back up. Yep, the skirt covers the top like I thought. It's not like I have to keep a proper gig line*, like the Marines, but It HAS to look nicer this way. I nodded to myself.

"Wow, Dan. You did that last like a pro. Why'd you tuck in the blouse like that?"

I felt a bit hot around the neck. I'd forgotten to warn her. Oh well, no harm, I guess. "It was getting twisted, when I was zipping the skirt and I figured this would hold it in place."

"Good Idea. I think I'll try next time."

I noticed then that she had worn a skirt as well today. "You didn't need to wear a skirt, Renee."

"No, but I wanted to. I figured if two of us were in skirts, well three if you count Fran, 'cause I'm sure she will be too, things would be easier for you."

"Thanks, Renee. Why don't you help me with the wig, before I put these sandals on again?"

"I could do it after you put those stilts on, if you kneel down, anyway." she laughed.

"Yeah, but I'm not so sure I'll be able to get back up, if I kneel." I bent down a little so she could get the wig on straight then pulled on my shoes. "And now to see how hard or easy the PDA is. Where'd you put yours?"

"Same place as you will, Dan." She turned so I could see it was in the small of her back. "It wasn't all that hard to put the clip in, and the PDA comes out easily enough when I need it too. You know, it's a good thing the clip holster's leather. With the PDA out, I could leave the holster in place and still sit down."

"Let me try." I pulled the PDA out of the holster, and then slid the clip into the slot that seemed to be there for it and patted my back. "I see what you mean." I walked over, and started to sit down on one of my chairs. I stopped myself and remembered to sweep the skirt out of the way first. "You're right; it's almost as if it weren't there." I got up, and brushed the skirt down and slid my PDA into the holster.

"You're lucky the skirt's lined, Dan. Otherwise you'd have had to wear an underskirt as well, to keep it from riding up with those tights."

"Oh? Okay, I'd not thought about that, though I did wonder a little at what those silky things were for. That's the slip, right?" she laughed confirmation. "I couldn't figure they were jammies, well at least not the ones that looked like skirts."

"No, those go under skirts to help them ride better and are called underskirts. The long ones that cover the top and bottom are slips. They're not necessarily needed with a lined skirt though."

My head was getting stuffed with all this new terminology. Luckily, at that point, I heard a knock at the door.

"I wonder who that is?" I asked, as I walked over and opened the door. "Fran, Ingrid, what a surprise." And, it was a surprise. Ingrid was ALSO in a skirt.

"Hi, Dan, no, SOPHIA."

I smiled at her self-correction.

"You're looking nice this morning," Ingrid responded.

"Thanks." Then, realizing she'd used both names and did a double take, "How'd you know?"

"Your name's in the system for anyone to look up. Once we all pick our alternate names, they go in. It helps folks keep track, until we get used to it anyway."

"I had wondered why Dan kept asking about my name last night. So, why the skirt?"

"Same reason Renee is wearing one, I suspect." she replied. "To show solidarity with you. I suggested that Sally and Pru do as well, but I dunno if they got my note."

"I don't know what to say to all of you. You're so nice."

"Thanks might work."

When she paused, Fran responded, "I don't think anything more is needed, Sophia."

"Okay, thanks." I took a deep breath. "Shall we get this walk out of the way, and make ourselves known for breakfast?"

They laughed at my attempt to sound important, and then, we all walked down. I noticed that these heels made more noise walking than the lower heels I'd worn down to practice the other evening with Renee. It seemed so long ago now. I really couldn't get over how much had happened. "Can any of you believe we've only been here a week?"

"Kinda amazing, isn't it Dan? I'd never have guessed so much could have been crammed into a single week before coming here. Now that I've seen it, I can believe their claims that we'll be taking our exams years earlier than we would have at another school."

"That too, Ingrid."

"Hey, wait up" came from behind.

I turned to see Sally and Pru walking quickly behind us. Sure enough, they were both in skirts as well, though I don't know if Pru was any happier about it than I was. "Thanks, Sally and Pru. You two didn't need to wear skirts as well."

"No, but we figured, why not? You're a good sport doing this, so it's the least we could do, Dan." Pru nodded agreement with Sally.

I turned toward Ingrid, "You didn't suggest that Mark and Wayne do it, too, did you?" I said with a serious expression. That got a laugh from all of us.

"No, she didn't, and even if she had, I'd have said NO." I'd not heard Mark and Wayne coming up behind us. "But, we ARE here to walk down with you too, Dan, oops, I mean Sophia." Mark completed his statement with a quick bow, and Wayne smiled.

"Oh, you silly goose. Thank you all, so very much."

"Y-Y-You w-w-won't th-th-ank us if w-we're l-l-late for f-f-ood."

"Very true Wayne, thank you for reminding us. Shall we?" I turned toward the dining room again and set off. Suddenly, I was feeling happy having so much support, and started whistling, We're Off to See the Wizard. It wasn't long before a couple others joined in. We were still whistling as we walked into the dining room.

We paused just inside the door and finished the chorus before walking to our table where Becky was waiting for us.

"Nice entrance. I don't recall the last time someone pulled something like that, and my, how nice all of you ladies are looking. Why don't we sit down, as I believe the gents have the duty this morning?" We all sat down in what were becoming our regular seats, except that this time, I noticed that Sally and Pru sat together just beyond Renee, rather than one on either side. Wow, what a bonus it'd be if my session were what it took to get us working together.

"Well done, Sophia. Would you mind if we had a little chat at some point this afternoon?"

"No, not at all Becky." I wondered what she wanted to talk about, and then recalled she was Pru's support person. I thought maybe it was about Pru's request for martial arts training.

She had her PDA out. I guess she was logging our session, because mine buzzed a minute later. I pulled it out to check. Hmmm, I wonder what will be happening in the 10 minute session with Mr. Smith, and this half hour grayed out block. Okay, I'm not surprised I have a session with Kelly this afternoon too. Ahh. Wow, Good thing Becky asked me about an appointment, I might not have known about the extras. Guess I need to get into the habit of looking at my schedule every morning, for overnight changes. Ahhh, there's Becky's appointment, too. I'm going to be busy again this afternoon. I wonder what the grayed out section's for. "Becky?"

"Yes, Sophia, is something wrong?"

"Not exactly, but I've got this half hour block of time that looks blocked out, but it doesn't say why."

"Ahh, don't worry about that. I should probably explain that to everyone." She raised her voice a little. "While Mark and Wayne are serving you, I thought I should explain another scheduling feature of your PDAs, since Sophia here has already run into it. If you see a block of time in your PDA that is grayed out; that means someone on staff has reserved the time. The rest of the staff can find out who blocked it out, but from your point of view it's an indication that you will probably get something extra in that timeframe and that either just shows up, or sometimes they get cancelled. They are nothing to worry about. One way they get used is by teachers who believe they may need to schedule an extra session for a student, but won't know until the normally scheduled class." She paused, then, "In any event, if that gray area gets used, your PDA will be updated to reflect this, with plenty of time for you to get where you need to go. Any questions?" At everyone's negative responses, "Well, dig in." she said with a smile.

I wonder what'll be in that spot? I thought to myself.

After that start, breakfast was no different than the previous days. I don't know why I expected it to be. Mark cut up every now and again. The rest also seemed to be acting as if nothing unusual were happening, and to some extent, I guess they were right. Thinking about Mark, reminded me I wanted to have a short chat with him. I leaned over and whispered to Renee, "After the meal, I want to have a quick chat with Mark about how he seems to ignore Wayne."

She looked at me, and nodded. "I'll wait outside in the hall, Da… Sophia."

There, that's taken care of, well a start anyway. "Thanks, Renee."

When it came time to clear the table, "Wayne, I'll take care of the dishes if you want."

"Th-Th-anks, Dan. I c-c-could use th-the time." He went off with the others, and I helped Mark clear the table.

"Mark, got a minute before we join the others for class?"

"For you m'lady, anything." he said with a bow.

"You're crazy, you know, Mark?"

"You're one to talk, SOPHIA." He stressed my name, trying to make a point, I guess.

"Okay, I'll take that," I said ,smiling. "What I wanted to ask about was why you don't talk and work with Wayne?"

"Huh? He's almost always sitting in his room, or off on the side."

I shook my head, "I don't see how you do it. It's all Renee and I can do to figure out some of the homework questions."

"You work together?"

I stopped, and looked at him, "Of course, we are study partners you know. We're SUPPOSED to study together."

He stopped to be able to keep talking to me. I saw his expression change. "I've never studied with anyone before, Dan. But, you're right; they have been calling us study partners all along, haven't they?" I nodded, not correcting his slip on my name. "But, have you tried talking to Wayne? He's always either off in his room, or sitting in a corner in the year room. And, that stutter…" He shook his head. "I'm afraid I can't imagine being able to carry on a long chat with him."

"Oh, that's not too hard."

"Huh? Come on, you're kidding me now. When did you ever have more than a few words with him?"

"Last night. He asked me to come over and talk about this." I indicated myself.

"That must have taken half the night. You must have the patience of the guy in the bible, umm, well I can't remember his name. I don't think I could have done it, Dan."

I laughed at the picture he painted. "The name was Job, Mark. And no, it wasn't that long, and we covered a lot of ground, actually."

"But, the stutters? Don't tell me it's faked."

"Not as far as I know. I suggested he text me the questions, and I answered verbally. It worked pretty well, too."

"Wow, that's a great idea. Thanks, Dan. I'll have to try that."

"You're welcome Mark, and the name's Sophia." I said with a laugh.

"Oh, you're the clown now, are you?"

"No, I'm going to learn to do this right, like I said last night. But, Dan told me that when we're dressed like girls we're supposed to be addressed that way."

"Okay, mate. If that's what you want, I'll do my best to remember. We'd best get a move on, Sophia." He took off at a quick walk. I followed, but couldn't quite keep up. These heels. Well, I'm getting used to them anyway.

When I got to the door, Renee was still there waiting. "Thanks for waiting, Renee. Sorry it took so long."

"Mark didn't look too upset there; guess your talk went okay."

"Yeah, he'd not even realized they were supposed to study together." I said smiling. "Hopefully they can work it out now."

About then we got to our class, which ended the conversation. The rest of the morning was, I won't say typical, 'cause I'm not sure what typical is yet. I guess interesting, is the best description. The classes were fascinating as usual.

I was beginning to think lunch might pass quietly. Then Andy came up just before I sat down. "Why hello, Sophia. I must say you're looking better than the last time we met." He had a big grin on his face as he turned to Wayne and Mark, "You guys really have it great with all these lovely ladies at your table."

I couldn't see Mark leaving a line like that alone, and he didn't disappoint me. "And how might you have met one of our ladies, my good man?"

"Why, she invited me to her boudoir, how else?" Andy replied with a smile.

I decided to intervene before things got out of hand. "Enough is enough. You guys should all know Andy. He's the percussion section lead, and he's Stacy's study partner." I watched Andy as I said that, and saw him smile. Yeah, I thought so. "He came over to help me out a couple days ago, when I was stressing about Mix-up Monday." At that, he gave a bow. "I'm suspicious as to why he was suggested, but he won't say until the next Mix-up Monday."

I arched my eyebrows at him and he just laughed. "Nope, I still won't tell you, Sophia."

I batted my eyes, "A girl can but try." At that, he laughed.

"Well, I see my fearless leader is waving at me, so I'd best get over." Seeing the questioning look on my face, "Stacy's our year leader, too. You'll be electing one soon." With that, he headed off to his table, and we sat down to lunch.

"Becky, what's this about year leader? I've heard it mentioned a few times, but so far we've not heard much about it."

"The year leader is one of you, one whom you agree you want to be able to speak for you on occasion. They will also occasionally get communications to pass on to the rest of you, though that's rare, since it's so easy to pass it directly. When on field trips, they will be responsible for keeping you all sorted, coordinating rooms and the like. There's a little more work for them, but not a lot. Well, unless you all decide to make things difficult for him or her."

"You say we pick our year leader? Sounds like an election."

"It can be, some years it has just happened and there was no need for an election. June, the current head girl was an example of that. By the end of the first week, it was obvious to everyone in her group that she was a take charge kind of person and had everyone's best interests at heart. Other years have had some campaigning even, though that extreme is almost as rare as the acclamation. Most years are able to decide fairly easily."

"So, we're stuck with whoever we pick for five years?"

"Stuck isn't the right term. Any of you are capable of handling the duties, I assure you. But, we've never found a need to change year leaders once selected."

"I see. Thanks."

"That's what we're here for, Sophia. Never hesitate to ask any of the support staff, or other staff for that matter, questions, or for help if you need it."

I nodded, and dug into the meal Wayne had just delivered.

After lunch, Andrea came up "You're looking good, um … right, Sophia. Sorry, I almost forgot, and I looked it up after breakfast this morning." She was shaking her head.

I had a questioning look, then "Can you show me where that information is stored? I figure I'm going to need it sooner, rather than later." I pulled out my PDA;

"Sure, did you figure out the slot for your PDA on your own, Sophia?"

"Sorta; Renee and I were trying to figure it out. She'd not been wearing skirts since the first day so didn't know. I found the slit by accident actually. I mean, originally I just thought it was a place they'd not sewn across all the way, then we noticed it was top and bottom of the band, and I found it'd been reinforced."

"That works, sometimes we have good accidents. In any event, getting the info is really easy on your desktop, so you can either use the function that lets your PDA be a terminal for it, or…" and she went on, and showed me how to get to the name cross reference information on the PDAs. "While I'm at it, you know how to contact the teachers too, don't you?" At my negative look, "You can get to them from the schedule, but they're in the same area we are. Why don't you look for some of the ones you're seeing now?"

I quickly found Sra. Guiterez and Kelly, "Hmmmm. I can't find Mr. Smith."

"Who?" She had a blank look on her face when I turned. "I don't know that one? Is he for your specialty?"

I thought about our discussion the one time I'd met him, and remembered he'd said to ignore him. But, also that he said something about teaching me to think. "Sorta. I think he's just an outside guy they got to help me continue my Judo."

She nodded at that explanation, "That makes sense, I think. You might check with your assigned support staff to make sure. I remember last year, we had a new history teacher, and his name wasn't cross referenced here on the first day. We had to find him through the class link."

"These PDAs access a lot of information, don't they?"

"You have no idea. If you want to know more, talk to June, the Head Girl." She paused a moment before continuing. "She only eats one first year a term." At my startled look, she laughed. "Not really. She's actually very nice."

"Okay, I'll think about it." Me a lowly first year, just walk up to a fifth? You've got to be kidding. Though, Andy's a fourth year, and he's really nice. Something to keep in mind, I guess.

"See you around … uh … Sophia."

I laughed. "Takes some getting used to, for me too. I keep getting surprised at hearing it."

She smiled. "You'll get used to it, especially if you keep this up a while. The ones that have trouble are normally the ones that only dress on Mix-Up days, or scatterbrains like me."

I laughed with her at her claim. Nobody here's a real scatterbrain, I don't think. "Makes sense I guess. Thanks again for the information, Andrea."

"No problem, Da… Sophia." She shook her head at that. "It'll get easier for the rest of us, as well."

I laughed, suddenly realizing that everyone else was supposed to learn and use my alternate name, too. "I guess it's easier with just me, today. Having to learn the whole year at once will be harder." At her rueful smile, "I guess it's good practice. Dad said he'd had to learn how to remember names of people he met for the first time. I bet he'll be surprised if I end up able to do that when we get out of here." I paused, thinking, "I dunno if I'll be able to tell him why I learned, though." I looked down at myself at that, then over at Andrea. I wonder why she has that expression?

"Yea, it's supposed to be good for us, but I'm lousy with names," she said with a sigh.

Maybe that's what she was thinking about.

She looked at her PDA. "Well, I'd best get off to my class."

Looking at mine, "Oops, I have to get over to the gym, too."

"Good Luck, Dan, Sophia."

I laughed, as I headed out the door. I wondered if Renee had Judo, too. She'd taken off after lunch when Andrea had stopped me, and I realized we'd not compared notes in the confusion of the morning. Well, I need to take the time to check from now on. Rushing in heels was certainly a new experience. When I tried increasing the length of the stride the way I was used to, they started jarring and it was harder to walk. So, I finally shortened my pace a little, but tried taking more steps. It threw me off a little, but I seemed to be getting the hang of it by the time I got to the gym. I opened the door, and found Mr. Smith standing there.

"Come in, Sophia, we need to talk." He walked slowly over to some chairs. I appreciated this, as my lower legs were a little stiff from the unaccustomed walking. "Have a seat."

I carefully sat down, taking care to sweep my skirt out.

"As I understand it, you're dressing fulltime for the immediate future."

"Yes, Sensei. I'm trying to learn this, as well as I can, to be respectful to my friends."

"Very well, had you considered that fulltime, included your practicing?"

I looked at him quickly.

"Obviously not, as you have no doubt discovered, your balance is different now, in comparison to the way it was when you were here for your evaluation without the breast-forms."

"Just a little, Sensei."

"Yes. Do you not believe that this change in balance will affect how you move?"

I didn't respond immediately, remembering how it had almost made me late. But that was just the heels, wasn't it? No, I'd noticed other things, when reaching across tables and such. "Sensei, it does affect my movement."

"Should you learn to move naturally, even when so dressed?"

Suddenly, I began to get a glimmer of what he was driving at. "You're suggesting that I do my exercises and workouts as a girl as well, aren't you?"

"I'm suggesting nothing. I am asking you to fully analyze your position, though."

I sat still again, and thought. I'm sure learning to act like, no that's the wrong term. If I'm going to honor them, I really need to BE one, at least when trying to present that way. Otherwise, sooner or later, I will do something that gives it away. I sighed, and shook my head. "I'd not thought about all the ramifications, Sensei."

"What ramifications are you referring to?"

"In order to fully honor my commitment, I need to learn more than just how to mimic girls; I need to learn to be one as well. That includes at night, as well as while participating in the art."

He nodded. "Is that your intention, now that you've thought of it?"

He's as bad as Sensei Tenaka with the hard questions. It was obviously a serious question. I took some time to consider what I'd said, and as much as I could about the ramifications. "Sensei, I believe I have to do so."

"I thought so," he said with a smile on his face. He pulled out a PDA, I'd not noticed. "I'll finish scheduling the area I blocked out. You'll be seeing Dr. Mayhew in that block. He'll be able to explain a few things to you that you'll need to know, if you're serious about this. Remember though, this is ALL voluntary on your part. You do NOT need to do it. I'm sure your friends will not feel less of you if you continue as you have been."

"Dr. Mayhew? You mean Kate?"

"No, sorry, I was referring to her husband, the school's GP. He will explain such things as how you will be able to affix your forms so you can do a full contact exercise, and not worry about them popping out."

I laughed at the picture, then sobered up. "No, you're right, that would not be a good thing. It would throw me and my opponent off, and one of us would likely get hurt." I wondered a little bit about what would be involved in sticking them on so they wouldn't get knocked off exercising. Sounds a little permanent to me.

He nodded. "Yes. Do you think Prudence Winter is serious about Judo?"

His change of subject caught me off guard. I was still thinking about the ramifications of my decision. "Whaa? .. oh, Pru, yes, at least as serious as Renee, anyway. I dunno if either of them will want to stick with it after the first few lessons, which is where they'll make the most mistakes and be likely to hurt themselves."

"Do YOU want them to continue?"

I had to think about that. Do I really care if my friends enjoyed Judo? I guess I did kinda hope so. "I think so, now that you mention it. It's nice when your friends share your interests."

"Is there anything you can think of that would increase their likelihood of enjoying the arts?"

Wow, he knows all the hard questions, doesn't he? "Well, with Renee, if you're not teaching her, I think the teacher for her almost certainly needs to be a woman. She's not reacting well to a lot of men. I think she was okay with you, because I was there to start with."

He frowned at that. "D'you know why?"

"No, but even if I did, I couldn't share my partner's issues without her permission."

"Under any circumstance?"

If he asks, hmmm. "Okay, if she had an issue or problem that threatened her health, or someone else's, I might have to. But, I'd tell her I was doing it, in advance, if I could."

He nodded. "It's important to think of the ramifications of actions. Is there any problem with thinking about them?"

Okay, he's asking the question, does that mean there is one? Let's start assuming there is, and see if I can think of it. I sat thinking for a few minutes.

"Do you have an answer?"

At his prompt, I suddenly got the key to an answer. "Yes, Sensei, if you let yourself become paralyzed thinking about things, you can get trapped. So, if you have the leisure to think about them, it's best to do so. But, if time doesn't allow, act on your best information."

That got another smile. "Very good. Is there some way you can make that task easier?"

Learning from him will be a challenge, but I actually think I'm going to enjoy it. "Sensei, just discussing that there could be such options with you, allows me to think about them and how I might react in the future. Having thought about the conditions, I think I'll be less likely to freeze in indecision, and with luck, I'll have already considered the problem or one like it, and be able to react more quickly."

"Yes, forethought and planning is part of operations analysis. One key thing for you to watch out for is situations that are similar to options you have considered, but differ in some small way. If you react as you planned, the small variation may be enough to cause you to fail."

"That's another reason you'd like me to study alternative arts forms, isn't it?"

He nodded, smiling. "Yes, remaining within a discipline can lead you to believe that any response needed can be found within the discipline, which can cause you to be blindsided at some point in time. My expectation that your responses would be predominantly driven by Judo, is one that helped you succeed in your last attack."

I nodded, "Thank you, Sensei."

He paused then, "As you're not ready for a lesson as a girl today, we'll finish now, so you can talk to Dr. Mayhew. Let him know what it is you're trying to accomplish and he will help you."

I was a little nervous about that, but figured that everyone else I'd met here had been helpful and nice; surely he would be as well. "Thank you, again, Sensei."

I stood, and bowed to him, and he returned it.

I know he said to ignore him if I ran into him outside class, but… What the heck. "Oh, one last thing, Sensei."

"Yes?"

"What do I do, if I need to contact you about Judo? I tried to ask about Pru, but couldn't figure out how to contact you. I mean, you weren't in the directory."

Wow, is that what they mean by a blank expression? I don't think I've ever seen something like that.

After a very brief pause, "You shouldn't need to contact me under normal circumstances, but I can envision a reason or two. I will have to think about it, and if a direct way is made available, I will let you know. Otherwise, continue to send messages through someone on the support staff."

I nodded. "Thank you, Sensei." Curiouser and curiouser.

As I headed off to meet with Dr. Mayhew, the word 'trepidation' came into my head. Trepidation is such a neat word. Maybe I should find some way to work it into conversation. I thought to myself with a laugh. I guess growing up the youngest in a household of readers and talkers gave me a bigger vocabulary than I thought. I know I've never heard anyone in any of my schools actually use that word in conversation. It just came up in stories, but it certainly describes how I feel now! What's this doctor going to be like? Why do I have to see him?


Author's Note: I want to thank Karen for allowing me the pleasure of continuing this story and I hope you all get as much pleasure out of reading it as I've had writing it. I also want to thank the individuals that proofed and commented on the story as it developed and moved toward what you see posted here (Karen, Penny, Gabi and Holly). Their comments and criticisms helped immesurably! Any problems remaining are mine and not that of any of these remarkable ladies.


Note: * A gig line is an imaginary vertical line through which the shirt and fly seams pass, and when properly done, the seam in the belt buckle as well. The term is in the US Military for sure. I don't know about elsewhere. The USMC stress little things like this and since Dan hung out with them for Judo and such, he would pick up the term.

Comments are greatly appreciated!"

up
206 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Thank God.

I am so glad to see this chapter. I love these SPA Universe stories and I always want more. This chapter did not dissapoint. It is very good. Please hurry and give us more.

Jessica Marie

Re: Thank God...

I do "EVERY DAY"
I thank him for my life,
I thank him for the roof over my head,
I thank him for the food we eat,
and
I thank him for the friends that I meet, Here and in other sites and chat areas!


To all...

 

Konichiwa

Great chapter

Thanks for another outstanding chapter. I am enjoying your writing so very much, as with the other S.P.A. stories. I cherish each and every submission, and only desire they were more frequent.

I loved the direction your story is going and anxiously await your next installment.

It's great

to see another chapter in this series, though I have the darnedest luck in always finding them right before I'm planning to go to bed...Ahh well, whats a little sleep when theres a story like this to read.

Crys

nice chapter

Thanks for a lovely chapter.

I too love this story universe and am always hoping for a new chapter on any of the three story lines.

I heard Judo is more than fighting but I never realized just how much more before reading this story and Dans experiences.

It would probably have been good for me to learn it and good to have a Sensei as challenging as the two Dan encountered during the story so far.

thanks for this lovely story

Holly

Friendship is like glass,
once broken it can be mented,
but there will always be a crack.

One thing to keep in mind

when looking at how I represent "Judo". I'm far from an expert, but have a little personal experience and have numerous friends that have participated (up through black belt) in several different martial arts. No two Sensei's are the same. The ones I've depicted here, are an amalgamum of several I've met, that (IMO) represent the best (at least on the mental side of martial arts). The relative emphasis between the fighting aspects and the mental discipline and training aspects that you will encounter varry across the spectrum. There ARE some, that emphasize the fighting, to the exclusion of all else. A few, seem to even encourage a form of bullying. *sighs*

All that said, the way I'm portraying the Sensei's and the arts in general is intended to be in a way that contributes to character and storyline development. So, once in a while, I'll diverge from any class I actually attended.

I'm glad you and others are enjoying the story.

Annette

Thanks and a question.

Many thanks for another super good episode. As Oliver once said, Please can we have some more, and soon?

Just one question. How are you going to handle 2 Wayne's in the story. Your Wayne has the name in his own right, but in Karens world, is not Wayne the male personna of Wendy Barnes? A minor point I know, but I had to ask.

And can I have another chapter soon please?

A

A tail of two Waynes

The two Waynes are in different years. Think back to Karen's story a bit, and how often do you think people say "Wayne"? Then, think to your time in school... Did you ever have instances where there were two classmates with the same first name? Everyone found a way to work through it, didn't they? People are resourceful that way. If this were a typical school - it wouldn't be much of an issue either because "my" Wayne would end up either ignored, or get a nick name (unless he had a forceful enough personality & friends). But, as I said, they are in different years, and I think it'll be a rare occurance where they are both around needing to interact.

"Hi Wayne, how's it going mate?"

"O-o-o-kay, Ma-a-ate. Yo-o-our lo-o-oki-i-ng go-o-o-d, Wa-a-ayne."

"You too. Well, laters Wayne."

See, they have no trouble with this. If Karen has an issue with Wayne Barnes, I'm sure she can handle it as well. I assure you, we've discussed names and other issues quite extensively. :-) There were some other names at various points (both student and staff) as things developed (over the past six months or so).

Thanks for your wishes. The first draft of Chapter 11 just finished, but, it's not ready for my proofers/editors by any stretch. And, Chapter 12's still in chunks. I'd not planned on posting Chapter 10 this past weekend, but someone I was chatting with seemed soo disapointed (& I was far enough along with 11/12) that I stayed up and got it posted (Proofing was finished a while ago... I've just been too busy with work/family/short story writing to keep up with this story I'm affraid. (There are even a few other projects percolating in the background...) (I've even been way behind on the editing help I'm doing - Sorry!)

So, when will 11 be out? I dunno, when it's ready I guess. Sorry I can't give you a better answer.

Thanks,
Annette

Looks like Dan/Sophia Is Showing

Leadership potential. I wonder how long it will be before you have them doing some of the adventures that Karen did with her kids. And i wonder what Dan/Sophia wil think about Matilda?
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Musing

Cindy Lou's picture

Smiles and little delights come over me when I catch some of your talents showing. You are so good at seeing many angles and providing depth. Things such as sensei's questions, Dan's surprising non-linear thinking, multiple character tactical placements, little ramifications in detail, and plot depth well thought out. Some of this strength seems to lead to more analytical writing and short the intuitive and spiritual side of things though. Sometimes even the emotional. Your sensitivity makes up for alot of that.

Another pleasant surprise is grammar correctness. So often these days, the grammar is weak enough to make things confusing (as well as make me grimace). Good working vocabulary too. Do you like to play with new words as Da... Sophia does? (wise name choice... may a future Sensei)

I still do grimace often at the way partners and staff remind each other that "that's what we are here for," "I'll always be there for you," and "you can always count on me." Not that it is not appropriate and warming; but there is something stilted about it. Sometimes over-stated. Maybe I am having trouble explaining this because I am up too late again. I have only once been 'able' to stop have way through a part.

Ya know, I still keep a gig line in normal everyday wear. Its a habit thoroughly pounded in. I am just uncomfortable otherwise. That and Irish pennants. Oh, and lint of course.

I realize my comments lack the vision that comes from reading other stories in this universe... and I still avoid many comments so that I will not see spoiling remarks.

Thanks for your hard work. I thoroughly enjoy your writing.

Great support

Jamie Lee's picture

It's good to see all the support Sophia is receiving from the other year ones. It's also good to see the trust Wayne has in Danny to discuss his stuttering problem with him.

Mark is another story, not a lot being said about him. While he is part of year one he seems to be a loner. He's with the year in the common room but only involved if playing a game. He does comment at times but his comments seem more to make fun of something rather than helpful solutions or assistance. He revealed some of his closed mindedness when Sophia spoke to him after that meal, it will be interesting to see how he handles trips where he must present as female.

Danny never considered just how far he'd have to go in learning to properly present as a girl. Never did he consider it necessary to be Sophia 24/7 in order to learn what's needed. Or even his martial arts. It good that some from upper years are offering him their support as well.

Still there is a nagging feeling that Danny is being preped for something more, something because of his deductive reasoning ability. It's also likely, because how he's been more concerned about others, and not just in hiscyear, that he'll become their year leader.

Others have feelings too.