Rough Waters 2 - 'Uncertainties'

Printer-friendly version
Notes of a Journey Trilogy
Book 2
Rough Waters

Chapter 2 - 'Uncertainties'

A Gaby FanFic by PB

Back home in Warsop, things will get better for Gaby.
Won't they?


 

Now available for Purchase from Lulu.com!

Available for Purchase as
Download & Paperback


Viewing Note: This story should be viewed with the Edwardian Script ITC font installed on your Windows platform in the c:/Windows/Fonts directory. Microsoft Word installs this font automatically.

Photo Credit: Provided by PB.
 


 
Chapter 2
 

Upon hearing the boarding announcement, all ten exchange students rose and started towards the gate as one living entity, until Mr. Pilling cut them off.

“Hold on, people! There’s no need to rush … we do have reserved seating … and … this time, we’ve been allocated a block of seats … so at least we’re all together. When we board … our seats are in rows 33 to 36 … that’s on the left side of the plane as you board. If you get lost, the flight attendant will direct you. Now let’s pretend we’re civilized and board properly, shall we?”

As they boarded the 747, the three boys, all upperclassmen, grabbed the three seats of the first row. Bernie pulled Rhod into the second row as he was attempting to save the last seat in the row for Ally. Much to his dismay, Maddy claimed it first.

“May I sit here Miss Peters?” Maddy silently stood aside in the aisle while Mr. Pilling started to put his carry-on in the overhead.

“Thank you. I need to be here to keep an eye on things. Take the seat behind if you will.” Mr. Pilling instructed.

Neither Bernie nor Rhod were overjoyed as he sat down in his commandeered aisle seat. Maddy moved into the window seat behind Bernie and was quickly joined by Jules and Justine. She was hoping at least to share the row with Ally and Gaby. However, those two had other plans and they didn’t involve sitting with the ‘gang’.

“Anyone sitting here, Miss?” Gaby asked Fran while indicating the two vacant seats beside her.

“No … make yourselves comfortable,” Miss Cowlishaw cheerfully replied. “Hope you don’t mind if I keep the aisle seat?”

Fran helped the two put their carry-on in the overhead and then watched as they settled into their seats, before returning to her seat. Gaby allowed Ally to take the window seat, so she could sit beside Fran. After the plane lifted off the runway and the cabin crew settled into their routine following the mandatory safety speech from the flight attendants, Fran turned to Gaby.

“Excited to be going home?”

“Scared is more like it, Miss…” Gaby softly replied.

“It’ll be alright, Gaby. I’ll be there … and you’ll have your friends and family.” Fran tried to reassure the young teen that she had some support for what lay ahead.

“I don’t have any friends …” Gaby’s voice trailed off. Ally took one of her friend’s hands and gave it a squeeze.

“I’m still here, Gabs,” Ally quietly told her.

“I know,” Gaby tearfully whispered. Fran took a tissue from her bag and reached over to dab Gaby’s wet eyes before her make-up was ruined.

Jules noticed that Maddy had turned in her seat, trying to listen to the conversation behind her and then quickly turned to face forward as soon as she sensed that she was being watched. Sinking back in her seat, she began to think about what she heard. As she continued to mull things over, she was forced to reflect on her time in Grottoes and Ally’s prophetic warnings.

Like Maddy, Jules was able to eavesdrop on her sister’s conversation behind her, so she decided to take the direct approach.

“Keep it down, sis ... the whole plane can hear you!” Jules hissed as she peered back at Gaby through the gap between the seats.

Taking her sister’s hint, Gaby decided to switch topics and things soon settled into the mundane routine of transatlantic flight.

Hours later, the cabin crew distributed the mandatory customs forms to the passengers to be filled out prior to their arrival in Manchester. Shortly after that, the announcement came to fasten seatbelts. As the flaps were lowered and the drone of the engines changed to a noticeably higher pitch, one had the feeling that a giant hand grabbed and held the plane as the forward speed dramatically dropped off. Even though it was quite late, the kids strained to look out the closest window. All the towns below were lit up and it was only as they dropped in altitude that the sensation of forward momentum revealed itself by the speed of the lights passing underneath. Details like streetlights showing the roads, store signs, cars, individual house lights and even traffic lights grew more evident the closer they got to the ground. As the plane crossed the threshold of Manchester International, a gentle ‘bump’ told the kids that they were back home!

“Please remain seated, seatbelts fastened until the plane comes to a complete stop… Ensure that all you take all your carry-on and your customs declarations. On behalf of myself, Captain Grant and the entire flight crew, I thank you for flying United Airlines.”

As the overheads were emptied, both escorts urged the kids off the plane and up the boarding ramp to Customs and Immigration. It was approaching 10:30 and the place was largely empty save the passengers from their plane, so they managed to get through relatively quickly.

Like in Washington, Fran had to intervene on Gaby’s behalf and after a brief initial delay, she was able to clear immigration with no further problems.

“Amazing how that letter works…” Miss Cowlishaw smiled to herself when she walked to the baggage carousel to collect her luggage.

Whether it was a rare bit of efficiency or just that everyone wanted to get home after a long workday, all the bags from their flight were already unloaded and sitting on the slowly revolving carousels, just waiting to be claimed.

“Hey, Miss C! You an’ Ally can put your stuff on this!” Gaby enthused as she wheeled an unused luggage trolley up to the luggage claim.

“Hey, guys … look what Gabs found!” Maddy called out as she noticed Gaby putting Ally’s cases on the trolley.

Without hesitation, Bernie and Rhod added their luggage to the growing pile. Finally, Maddy threw her case on with the rest and then scampered off to join the others, leaving Gaby alone, to push the heavy trolley. As she fell increasingly further behind while struggling with their luggage, a passing airport employee with an electric cart came to her rescue. Hooking the trolley to the back of the cart, he soon whisked them past the escorts and the other kids and out to the ‘Arrivals Pick-up’ platform.

When they were waiting for the coach to appear, Fran sent Ally into a nearby ‘Ladies”. After she gave the ‘all clear’, Rhod followed and a few minutes later, an elated Mfawny appeared for the trip back to Warsop.

“Feeling okay now, Em?” Miss Cowlishaw knowingly asked.

“Yes, Miss. Thank you,” Em relied with a huge grin.

The hour-plus trip to the school would be in stark contrast to the yellow school bus they had in Grottoes. This time their bus was a nice, comfortable touring coach. It was just after midnight when the driver finished loading their luggage into the lower luggage bays while the kids made their way on board. With only a dozen passengers on the coach, it wasn’t long before everyone spread out, found their own space and for the most part, drifted off to catch what little sleep they could. As they passed Cuckney and were finally approaching the school and home, Fran rose and moved to stand in the aisle, facing the rear of the coach and her charges.

“Everyone...? C’mon now … wake up … stop your yawning Justine … or you’ll … (yawn) … have me doing it,” she cautioned with a chuckle.

“NOW ... once we get to the school … please get your bags before finding your parents. I’m sure our coach driver wants to get to his own bed sometime tonight!” Following some laughter from a few of the kids and the driver, she continued.

“In case there’s no opportunity later … on behalf of Mr. Pilling and myself … I would like to say how much we’ve enjoyed the last six weeks with you lot. You’ve not only made us proud of you … but you’ve done yourselves and the school proud. Principal Roberts and the rest of the AHS staff couldn’t get over your high academic levels and your deportment. You left a good impression of Warsop College and the British school system. Most importantly … they were very impressed by all of you. You should all give yourselves a hand.”

After the clapping died down, she continued.

“As if I haven’t said this enough … I’d like to restate how proud I am of the Sherwood Forester’s for their performance at the cheer competition as well as the grueling preparation Miss Bell and I put you girls through. I know we threw a few curves your way … as the Americans say … but you handled them all with grace. The five of you beat Virginia’s best right in their own backyard and you should be very proud of yourselves. I know I am …”

Before she sat back down, Miss Cowlishaw concluded with “See you all back at school, after half-term.”

The coach immediately erupted in that time-honoured traditional British expression of appreciation.

“Three cheers for Mr. Pilling and Miss Cowlishaw! … Hip, hip … hooray! … Hip, hip … hooray! … Hip, hip … hooray!”

As they pulled into the school’s car park, all eyes turned to the large coach windows as the kids strained to see their parents gathered to greet them.

When the coach pulled up to a stop and the door hissed opened, Mr. Woods jumped on board and delivered a few words of welcome. He was momentarily caught off balance as he saw Gaby and Mfawny and not the two boys as he expected. Since it was almost 1:30 in the morning, not much of his short speech registered with the kids.

“… I’m sure you’re all eager to get into your own beds, so without further adieu, you’re dismissed and we’ll see you following half-term … Thank you.”

As Mr. Woods ended his words of welcome, he quickly added, “Oh! … Before you go … I’d like to say a few words to the Sherwood Foresters …so if those girls could give me a minute?”

As the other students filed off the coach, Gaby rose from her seat to follow them. She was almost out the door to freedom when Mr. Woods stopped her in her tracks. Ally rose to follow her but when she saw what was happening up front, she retook her seat.

“And where do you think you’re off to … Miss Bond? Did I not ask to speak to the cheer team? I know it’s late but this’ll take only a moment. Back to your seat please.”

“Sir… I,” Gaby stammered.

“Mister … Bond! I’m not used to having my authority questioned by a student. Return to your seat, please. We’re all a bit tired and I’d like to quickly say a few words to the Sherwood Foresters!”

Gaby turned to start back up the coach’s entrance stairs but Miss Cowlishaw moved to block her path.

“Go on Gaby … your sister and father are waiting,” Fran whispered.

“Miss Cowlishaw … a word please … now? Dre … errr …Gaby … back in your seat … please?” Mr. Woods firmly requested, exercising some of his authority in front of the remaining students.

As he led Fran off the coach and stood to one side of the opened door, she immediately turned to face him as soon as she stepped down from the steps. Even in the lighting of the school’s car park, Mr. Woods could see the anger reflected in her eyes. Still feeling protective and knowing what Gaby had been through, Fran was livid with Mr. Woods’ choice of words and she let him know how she felt.

“You may be the Headmaster of this school, but I will not stand here and listen to you abuse this child! You’re just as aware of Gaby’s gender as I am and if you need reminding, I have a copy of her doctor’s letter in my bag … and you should have a copy on file with Drew’s records! I assume you’ve actually read it?” Without allowing him to answer in his own defense, Fran carried on. “May I remind you that it’s a legal document and if it’s good enough for American and British Immigration, then it’s certainly good enough for you and this school! In the future … Gaby will be addressed as Miss Bond or Gaby … or Gabrielle … and not … Mister Bond!”

Fran was on a role and she wasn’t going to stop until she finished.

“And for your information … Gaby was correct in leaving the coach just now! You specifically asked to speak to the cheer team … and by her own choosing … she’s no longer a member of the Sherwood Foresters. Therefore, she just assumed that she could leave with the other students!”

“But…” was all Mr. Woods could manage before Fran cut him off.

“Gaby voluntarily left the team after she took us to our first place finish at the competition … and while I don’t agree with it … I respect both her reasons and her decision to leave!“ Then as if to put a stamp on her defiance, she concluded by flatly stating, “I’ll brief you on the status of the competition when we return at the end of half-term … but for-the-record … as far as I’m concerned … it never happened.”

Stepping back inside the coach, she cheerfully addressed the five remaining girls as if nothing happened.

“Girls … your parents are waiting. Enjoy the break and I’ll see you at the end of half-term.”

A stunned Headmaster meekly stood aside and allowed them to disembark. He knew his outburst, however justified he thought it was at the time, was totally uncalled for and that Miss Cowlishaw was correct. He felt an apology to the teen was clearly in order and he soon spotted the Bond family at their car while conducting a quick scan of the dimly-lit carpark.

As he started to jog over to their car, he called out, “Gaby … a moment please?”

When he reached their car, Mr. Woods approached Gaby’s father.

“Dave … may I speak with Gaby, please … it’ll just take a second.”

“Gaby? Mr. Woods would like a word … I’ll wait,” Dave mentioned as he leaned in the opened driver’s door and turned to face his youngest daughter, in the back.

After she exited the car, Mr. Woods took her aside.

“Gaby … I wish to apologize for my earlier comment. It was an unfortunate slip of the tongue … but that still doesn’t excuse it being said. Please forgive me? I promise that it won’t happen again,” Mr. Woods conceded.

“Apology accepted,” Gaby curtly replied and then she started to turn back towards the car.

“One more question, Gaby … whom shall we see after half-term?”

“I dunno, sir … that depends on what happens over the break,” Gaby replied quietly as she got back into the car.

Meanwhile, as Fran helped her off the bus, Ally was troubled about what she’d just witnessed. She couldn’t help but notice that Maddy seemed delighted that the confrontation between Mr. Woods and Gaby even took place. It was just one more incident to add to Maddy’s odd behavior. Almost as if in re-wind, she began to think of recent events involving Maddy and Gaby. Back at the airport, Maddy appeared upset when Gaby managed to get help with the luggage trolley, almost as if she wanted to see Gaby struggle. She also recalled that even Em commented on Maddy’s odd behaviour early in the trip. Then there was the whole thing with Sam. Ally was pretty sure that Maddy deliberately set Gaby up and then later accused the girl of stealing her ‘boyfriend’.

“Why did she even call Sam her boyfriend?”

Before the argument following the cheer competition, Maddy had always insisted Drew was her boyfriend and back in Grottoes, she barely even talked to Sam. Add to that, there was Maddy’s strange behaviour at the cheer competition. She actually despised Gaby and treated her as if she and Drew were two separate people. The longer she thought about it, the more Ally had to admit that Maddy had certainly developed a bit of a mean streak towards the girl.

As she continued to walk towards her parents, she noticed Bernie, Em and Maddy hugging each other before they went and joined their own parents, yet they had acted as if Gaby didn’t exist. Bernie only glanced at Gaby before she got in her parent’s car while Em and Maddy couldn’t even be bothered. Slowly shaking her head, Ally reluctantly had to admit that Gaby hadn’t imagined things and that the ‘gang’ had indeed changed during their stay in Grottoes.

Before getting in the back of her family car, Ally turned and caught Gaby’s eye just as she was returning to her dad’s car after speaking with Mr. Woods. She gave her a final wave and blew her a kiss, then climbed into the back of her own car. While her dad closed her door for her, she recalled Gaby’s cynical words when informed that she was the only one of the ‘gang’ to know the truth about Gaby, as well as her own unanswered question.

“Would things have been better… or worse, if Maddy knew?”

Despite Jules telling her dad how tired she was, the five-minute drive to the Bond house had to have set a record for the world’s shortest power nap. Almost as soon as Dave put the car into park, she was out of the car, through the opened front door and into her mum’s arms.

Mum!” Jules squealed as she flung herself into Jenny’s outstretched arms. It was only then that she allowed herself to admit her worst fear hadn’t been realized.

“God! How I missed you, darling!” Jenny was almost in tears as the two of them locked in a tight embrace.

“How you feeling? You okay? You cured? I heard your voice on the phone, but … I missed you Mum.” Jules found it hard to put a complete sentence together, her thoughts and emotions raced through her head at lightning speed.

Gaby hesitated for an instant until she heard her dad’s voice.

“I’ll get the luggage, Petal … you go on in … your Mum’s waiting.”

When she entered the house, Jenny released her hold on Jules with a kiss to the cheek and turned to embrace Gaby. After offering her youngest a kiss on the cheek, she released her and holding a hand of each girl, took a step back and looked at her two daughters.

“Be easy with your ol’ Mum, you two … she’s not as strong as she was before … not yet, at least!” Dave cheerfully cautioned as he stood at the kitchen’s entrance while looking at his three girls.

“I won’t break, Dave … besides I had a good nap this afternoon just so I could be up for the kids!” Jenny shot back and then gathered the two girls into a group hug. Dave just smiled back as he shook his head and then continued taking the girl’s bags up to their rooms.

When Jenny released her hold on the girls, Gaby caught her mum staring at her.

“What?“ Gaby’s question brought Jenny out of her thoughts.

“Sorry dear … I’m just happy my daughters are home … any problems at Immigration?”

“Not really … thanks to Fran,” Gaby replied.

“Who?” Jenny firmly asked, unaccustomed as she was to hearing her child refer to a teacher by her first name.

“Fra … I mean Miss Cowlishaw. Sorry ... I guess I’m kinda used to using her name. Jes … ummm … Miss Bell … and Miss Cowlishaw both wanted us to use their first names when we weren’t in school,” Gaby sheepishly revealed.

“It’s an ‘American thing’,” Jules playfully added.

“I doubt if Mr. Woods would tolerate that. You’re just going to have to break that habit …aren’t you?” However, Jenny was only too aware of the bond that had formed between her youngest daughter, Fran and Jessica.

Gaby meekly nodded and then hugged her mum again.

“You kids want a cuppa and something light or are you ready to crash in your own beds?” Jenny asked.

Jules answered for both. “We both slept on the plane and from the airport … but it wasn't our bed!”

As the girls turned to dash off, Jules turned back to face her mum and dad, who had now returned to the kitchen and re-joined the ladies.

“Dad? Gaby said George offered you a job with Mum’s team. We both want you to take it.”

“Even if it means we move to Germany? Maybe even before the end of your year?” Dave questioned.

“Especially if we move to Germany … an’ whenever we move … we’ll adjust … we owe that much to Gabs,” Jules replied and then added, “Can we talk about it in the morning?”

“It’ll have to wait until I get home. I need to put in a few hours tomorrow because of all the time I had off for your mother … okay?” Dave asked. Jules walked back and gave her dad a hug, before running upstairs.

“What do you make of that, luv?” Jenny asked as she wrapped her arm around her husband’s waist.

“I don’t know. It certainly makes things easier. I thought Jules would fight any notion of a move, tooth and nail. I guess they’ll tell us tomorrow … c’mon … you could use the rest yourself,” replied a bewildered Dave as he turned out the lights and escorted Jenny to their room.

The next morning Jules quietly opened Gaby’s door only to find her already up and staring out her window as the early morning sun bathed the bedroom.

“Dad’s making a fry-up, sis … wanna go down?” Jules asked.

“Jules? Whattya see?” Gaby thoughtfully asked as Jules walked over to her sister and stood beside her.

“Warsop,” Jules softly replied as she stood behind her sister.

“We’re really home … aren’t we? What’s gonna happen now?” Gaby quietly asked with an unsteady voice as she looked out the window.

Jules looked in her sister’s eyes as she put her hand on Gaby’s shoulder and pulled her close.

“Remember you’re not alone, sis … you’ve got us.”

“Oh! You’re both up! Coming down? Your dad’s made fry-ups,” Jenny asked as she entered Gaby’s room.

“You girls okay?”

(sigh) “Yeah,” Gaby flatly offered as both girls walked past their mother, each ensuring they gave her a peck on the cheek as they headed towards the bedroom door.

Dave’s fry-ups had always been a hit, but he was always surprised at the way the family dived into his cooking.

“What’s everyone doing today?” Dave inquired of his family.

“I’m gonna pop over and see Charlie and Anna … it’s been … like … forever since I saw them,” stated Jules. Gaby just rolled her eyes at her sister’s impression of an American teenager.

“Not until you’ve done your washing, you’re not. I’m not having six weeks of dirty clothes sitting in a closed case,” Jenny firmly interjected.

“Mummmm … we did laundry at the Walters. Besides we did everything up before we packed.” Jules countered. When her mother looked at her, Gaby nodded her head in agreement with Jules.

“What about the clothes you wore in Washington?” Jenny countered.

“Oh … those,” Jules quietly conceded.

“Yes, those … unpack and then get those clothes washed … it won’t take you that long,” Jenny instructed.

“Can you take the van today, dear?” Jenny asked Dave. “I might want to go out later.”

“Okay … but only if you promise to have a nap later,” Dave shot back. “I don’t want you over-doing it.”

“You girls make sure your mother doesn’t push herself … I’ll be back for tea.” Dave announced as he started for the door after giving Jenny a kiss on the lips.

It was mid-morning before the girls finished with clearing up the kitchen and putting away all their clothes. When Jules closed the front door on her way out, Gaby wandered into the lounge where her mother was sitting.

“Fancy a ride?” Jenny asked.

“Sure! … I haven’t been on a bike since Atlanta. Mum? Can you braid extensions?”

“You treat them just like your own hair … why? You want it braided before we go?”

“Like Tina’s.”

“A single braid?”

“Uh huh … like she wears when she rides.”

“Sure … come here ... and turn around,” Jenny softly instructed.

A relatively short time later Gaby and her mum were standing in front of the door leading out into the garage. As Drew would say, both ladies looked “buff” in their Apollinaris kit.

Their ride took them out of Warsop and headed for Ollerton. The two talked along the way as neither really pushed it. Gaby thought her mum looked a bit paler than usual, but considering she just survived an encounter with cancer, it was understandable. She was just so glad to be home with her, let alone riding with her. They stopped fifteen miles from Warsop, at Retford for a cuppa and to give Jenny a break. While she stayed outside with the bikes, Gaby went in and ordered two teas then brought them out. When asked about her trip to Washington, she told her about Ally’s accidental shooting.

“It’s a good thing for her that you were around. Now tell me … how did you feel when all this was happening?”

“I dunno … but I kinda felt a little weak after they took Ally away and it started to sink in.”

“It’s called ‘shock’ … a normal reaction, “Jenny offered, then softly added, “I’m so proud of you, darling.”

Following a short silence, Jenny changed the subject.

“You fancy coming with me to see Caro this afternoon?” Jenny looked across the small outdoor table at her daughter.

“Wouldn’t I be in your way?” Gaby asked.

“Nope … an’ I could use the company on the drive. Besides you could tell her all about Atlanta,” Jenny stated in a matter-of-fact tone of voice.

“Okay … if you’re sure.” As the two got up to begin the ride back to Warsop, Gaby stopped in her tracks and it was a only couple of steps later that Jenny noticed her daughter hadn’t followed her.

“Darling? What is it?” Jenny implored.

“Caro will be expecting to see Drew, won’t she? Maybe I should stay home,” Gaby’s voice sounded less enthusiastic for the visit.

“Well … she’ll see my daughter instead! She’s going to have to find out sooner or later ... isn’t she? It’ll be okay … besides … I’ll be right there with you,” Jenny explained.

Reflecting on past experiences, Gaby jokingly thought,““If I had a pound note for every time I’ve heard that!”

When they got home and were going into the house after putting the bikes away in the garage, Jenny noticed the message light blinking on the phone as she passed through the kitchen. Picking up the hand set, she dialed the retrieval code and listened. It was from Dr. Sanwari, returning her call regarding his role in changing Gaby’s birth certificate. He wanted Jenny to phone for an appointment upon her daughter’s return from the US. She quickly returned the call and was able to get in for four-thirty the next day. Jenny then proceeded to go have her shower and get ready to go out with Gaby for the afternoon.

“I’ll tell Gaby on the way to Caro’s”

After her shower, Jenny joined her daughter downstairs.

“Veeerrrry nice, dear! I guess I’ll never have to worry about you showing your ol’ Mum up … will I? Now grab your coat and bag so we can go.”

As Jenny unlocked the car, she looked over and saw that Gaby appeared deep in thought.

“Still nervous about going out?” Jen asked.

“Going out … no … seeing Caro for the first time as Gaby … yes!” Gaby replied, trying hard to put a bit of levity into her voice.

“Get in and don’t worry. I’ll be right there and I promise I’ll step in if things get out of hand!” Jenny said in a reassuring tone.

As they both got in the car, Jenny changed the subject. “Better than the old Passat, eh? It was Frank’s wife’s car.”

Gaby did up her seatbelt and for the first time, properly took in the features of their new car and thought to herself, “I can get used to this with no problem. This is really posh!”

Once on the road, they quickly joined the rest of the traffic on the congested artery. Jenny turned her attention to Gaby.

“You know you kids really dropped a bombshell on your dad and I last night … don’t you? Here we were thinking that we’d have some resistance to any move if your father took the job … more so from Jules than from you … then you both come home last night and tell him to take it,” Jenny casually commented.

“Just so’s you know, he hasn’t made a final decision yet because we wanted to hear from you girls first and then discuss it. Last night took a big weight off your dad’s shoulder because of your ‘surprise’ ... thank you. Now he just needs to inform George and Frank and then we take things from there.”

After a quiet moment, curiosity got the better of Jenny. “Not to look a gift horse in the mouth … but may I ask why?”

Gaby looked over at her Mum and in a soft but serious voice replied, “Can it wait until Dad gets home? Jules can tell you everything then ... okay?”

“Of course,” Jenny quietly replied. “I get the feeling that she’d like nothing better than to forget the whole exchange trip ever happened.”

In a brighter mood, Jenny confided, “We’ve been working on something for you since your Dad and I returned from the United States.”

“What?”

“Mmmm…” Jenny mischievously sounded.

“Mummm!” Gaby whined.

“Okay … Dr. Sanwari’s office called and we’re to see him tomorrow afternoon at 4:30.”

“What about?”

“I called him when we got back and asked him to look into what we needed from him to get all your documentation changed … you know … like your name and birth sex on things like your birth certificate, passport, school records, bank accounts … that sort of thing.”

“Can we do that now?” Gaby hopefully asked.

“Not quite 'now' ... but I think there’s a good possibility we can get it done before any move,” Jenny echoed Gaby’s optimism.

“Changing your name is easy. If we only had to do that we could take care of it ourselves with something called a ‘Deed Poll’. Like I said … in your case … it’s a little bit more complicated than that. It’s also changing your birth sex on all your documents that’s in question.” Glancing over at Gaby, Jenny smiled to herself as she could almost visualize the mental gears turning. “I for one will be interested to hear what he has to say about that. If he can arrange the gender change on your birth certificate … then I should think the same process will also take care of legally changing your name as well,” Jenny explained.

Jenny allowed her daughter a moment to let that all sink in for a few minutes.

“By the way, have you thought of what name you’re going to use … besides Gaby, I mean?”

“Uh huh. Gabrielle … Drew … Bond!” Gaby emphatically replied.

“Gabrielle Drew Bond … I like that! … I really do!” Jenny exclaimed and after a brief silence proudly added, “Now I can properly present you to your Godmother!”

After another fifteen minutes in heavy traffic, followed by a quick 'S-turn' onto a quiet residential street, they pulled into the close in front of Caro’s house. When Jenny got out of the car, Caro came off her small terrace to greet her friend. As soon as Caro caught sight of Gaby emerging from the car, Jenny noticed her expression change from ‘not-a-care-in-the-world’ to one of ‘confusion’. “Drew?”

“Caro … you remember my daughter … Gaby … your Goddaughter?” Jenny offered.

Seeing that Caro was at a loss for words, Jenny held her arm outstretched for Gaby to join her at the front of the car. She then calmly turned back to Caro and suggested, “Let’s go back inside. We’ve a lot to catch up on.”

 
 
Comments are greatly appreciated


 
To Be Continued...
 

up
96 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Rough Waters ( A Gaby Fanantic!)

PB; Glad your posting this story here it's great. But, I did notice that we flew back United Airlines instead of BA as your orginal showed. Other then that I'm enjoying reading this also (probally have to go Maddy's site and read it again) Thanks for the great story of your idea of the Gaby Series. Richard

Richard

Rewrites

PB is reworking the chapters, so there will be variations. Some as simple as checking the airline schedules for the most likely connection, some as complicated as recrafting entire scenes. I'm currently looking over his latest revision to a following chapter. So no point in rushing over to MB's site, it may not match what you read here.

Karen J.

"Being a girl is wonderful and to torture someone into that would be like the exact opposite of what it's like. I don’t know how anyone could act that way." College Girl - poetheather


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

I'm enjoying (I think that's the right word)

things again this time. There are enough differencxes here and there, that I do get surprised occasionally. :-) (It's sad when you normally have to wait 10-15 years before re-reading a story...)

Thanks to you and PB for all the efforts. I find this look, and Kate Hart's looks at the US trip more believable in many way, than several others I've read. Not to say I didn't enjoy them just as much (and with some events in the stories I enjoyed the happier variation more), but preferred seeing the darker variations, if that makes any sense.

Annette