Camp Kumoni : 55

Printer-friendly version




Camp Kumoni
By Anistasia Allread
Not Edited, sorry
     
sunlitforest.jpg

Camp Kumoni 55

This time the Lavender Ladies had two new additions, Tricia and Phoenix. Having been through this before, the other girls of the cabin weren’t nervous, just excited. Even Dani seemed to have gotten over her nerves. Tricia and Phoenix on the other hand were a bundle of nerves. Phoenix controlled it better. Tricia kept asking Erika if she looked all right.

“You look amazing.” Erika promised.

Dani was the first to enter this time. She was excited to show off her sexier look for Derek. The rest of the girls all sauntered in behind her single file and made their way to the front of the dining hall to their table. Erika saw Phoenix look pointedly at Todd. His mouth fell open when he saw her swaying her hips in a short skirt, heels and an altered Lavender Ladies T-shirt.

Erika noticed that several of the tables had already been served their dinner. Columbine’s table on the other hand looked empty.

Erika took a seat next to Tricia and found the smiling blonde’s hand upon her thigh under the table.

“That was a rush.” Tricia admitted.

Two large pizzas were set down on the table for the girls to devour. Krystal looked with longing at the pizzas.

“Here you are love.” Sheila came up behind her. “I made this one special for you.” Sheila set down a small pizza that looked a bit different from the others.

Krystal smelled the pie in front of her and smiled up at the head cook.

“Low carb crust, soy cheese and veggie pizza, made with a bit more love.” Sheila smiled.

“Thanks Sheila.” Krystal picked up a small slice and bit into it. Her eyes widened with surprise. She put a hand over her full mouth and looked up. “This is good.”

“I’ve got a salad back here with your name on it too.” Sheila promised.

The dining hall quieted down as the campers all dug into their pizzas. Director Hobbs took that opportunity to take center stage. “Did you all enjoy seeing your parents?” She asked.

A small cheer from full mouths greeted her.

“Are you all more relaxed now that your parent’s have left?”

A bigger cheer went up.

Hobbs smiled. “If you hadn’t noticed, the helicopters haven’t been flying in using our lake anymore. The Fire Marshal said that the reason for this is that the fire is now completely contained and is ninety percent out.”

A much louder cheer rose from the dining hall joined by loud whistles from the boy’s tables, and clapping.

Hobbs waited until the cheering died down. “As you are well aware of, Camp is now half over. The next big events are the Camp Kumoni Olympics, which will be followed by the end of summer dance.” She flipped the page of notes she was looking at. “Nominees for the Camp Kumoni Queen, and King will be accepted in the drop box which is on this table right here.” Hobbs pointed to a small table near the entrance to the kitchen. “The deadline will be at the beginning of dinner next Saturday. You’ll each be given a ballot after the bon fire tonight. Only one vote per camper.”

Rachel giggled.

“What’s so funny?” Katie asked.

“Last year one of the cabins spent all night filling out ballots to make sure that their friend became the queen.”

“How many votes did she get?”

“They stopped counting, it was so rigged, and they couldn’t do anything but give her the crown by default. They didn’t know who actually did vote for her versus the influx of other ballots.”

“Which cabin did it?” Dani smirked.

“Mine.” Rachel had a gleam in her eye

“You were the queen last year?” Katie was awed.

“Heck no, one my cabin mates. But it was cool seeing the Director and counsellors faces when they went to count the ballots.” Rachel chuckled.

* * *

“Mind if I sit next to you at the bon fire?” Tricia asked.

“If you’d like to.” Erika shrugged.

Their dinner of pizza was over and many of the cabins were already heading up to the amphitheater for the bon fire.

“Late as usual?” Phoenix asked Victoria and Rachel.

“Not too late.” Rachel relented. “We’ve already made our big entrance for the evening. “If we are too late, it’d be like rubbing their noses in it. We’ll just follow the next to last cabin in.”

“Then I’m going to go chat with a few of the other counsellors.” Phoenix gave Rachel a nod before walking off.

“What was that about?” Victoria asked.

“I think she wants to be part of the cabin now.” Rachel stated.

“About time.”

Dark descended upon the forest as the sun escaped behind the hills to the west. Erika and the girls of Columbine cabin began walking the trail to the amphitheater. Erika was slightly startled as she felt a hand slide down her wrist and take her hand. She looked over to see Tricia smile timidly in the waning light.

“I hope you don’t mind.” She looked a bit nervous.

“Not at all.” Erika gave her hand a squeeze.

The bon fire wasn’t roaring as large as they had seen it before. Erika assumed it was due to the fire hazard especially with the forest fire that had burned nearby.

Columbine took their seats along one of the benches and joined in the many conversations around them as they waited for the activities to begin.

“Excuse me, Erika?”

Erika looked up to see a short brown-haired boy with glasses. “Yes.” She replied.

“I. . . ah. . . I didn’t mean to bother you.” The boy noticed Tricia’s hand in hers.

“You’re not.” Erika smiled. She recognized him from the night of the storm. He was one of Derek’s nerdy friends. She felt kindred with him already. “What do you want?”

“Well, I heard that you are a great artist.” He began. “I’m trying to be a writer, and I. . . oh never mind.” He turned to leave.

“Hold on there.” Erika’s voice stopped him. “You’ve come this far. What were you going to ask?”

“Well. I was going to ask if you might help me by sketching out some of my characters.”

“I didn’t know that you drew.” Tricia looked surprised at Erika.

“I’m not that great.” Erika swore. She looked up at the discouraged guy. “I can try to help you out but I can’t promise that they’ll be any good.”

The boy’s face lit up. “Really? He asked. “You’d be willing to help me?”

“Sure.” Erika smiled. “I haven’t done any drawing since I’ve been here at camp. It’d be good practice.”

“When do you think?” he asked.

“Well, how about tomorrow during our free time?” Erika posed.

“That would be great. Where?”

“How about we meet in the dining hall.”

“Cool.” He was almost bouncing up and down he was so excited.

“Uh. . .” Erika flushed.

“Yes?” the boy’s face looked suddenly anxious.

“I’m sorry, I’ve forgotten your name.” Erika apologized.

“Matt.” The short guy blushed. “Matt Ford. I don’t think we’ve ever been introduced.”

“Well, Matt, I’ll meet you tomorrow.” Erika extended a hand. Matt took it and shook it firmly.

“Thanks Erika. Derek said that you were cool.” Matt almost tripped as he left to rejoin his cabin mates.

“You made someone’s night.” Tricia gave Erika’s hand a squeeze.

“He’s kind of cute.” Krystal smiled over at Erika.

Director Hobbs chose that moment to begin the bon fire activities which involved a lot of singing, some story telling by some of the counsellors and a rhyming game that went back and forth amongst the cabins.

Erika was feeling pretty tired by the time the bon fire ended and the campers all dispersed to their cabins.

“You look exhausted.” Tricia commented.

“I feel it.” Erika agreed. “I didn’t sleep at all last night worrying about meeting my parents.”

“Poor thing.” Tricia gave Erika’s hand a squeeze. “Let’s put you to bed.” Tricia leaned up on her tip toes and kissed Erika on the cheek. The sweet aroma surrounding Tricia filled Erika’s nose with its perfume. That along with the velvety feel of her lips, made certain body parts strain at their confines.

Leeza had told Erika that Tricia liked her. Did she mean in this way? Or was this just girl being girls and showing their emotions? Was she supposed to kiss Tricia back, now? Or just dismiss it? She liked Tricia too. A lot. She was so pretty and feminine in her soft pink clothes. Her blonde hair always looked neat. Even when she first woke up, her hair seemed barely out of place. She was sweet and excepting of those around her, yet would call someone on their digressions.

The bright lights of the cabin washed away her thoughts and insecurities as they dragged their selves in.

“We get the morning shower rotation tomorrow.” Victoria reminded her cabin mates as they began shucking their clothes.

Erika exited the bathroom, in her nightgown and ready for bed. She climbed up under her covers and immediately drifted off into a deep sleep.

* * *

“Will you hurry up in there?” Dani’s voice came through the door. “Everyone’s waiting on you.”

Erika opened the door, held up her skirts and stepped through.

“Oh, you’re beautiful!” Katie started bawling. She dabbed at her eyes not wanting ruin her make up.

“You look amazing,” Samantha agreed with a smile.

“Turn around so we can see the rest of it.” Dani demanded.

Erika picked up the yards and yards of white fabric and slowly turned around. A long white train slowly followed, dragging on the floor.

“Oh, you forgot your garter.” Samantha jumped up and quickly pulled a blue and white lace garter out of a box. “You’ve got to be wearing this for the reception.”

Dani giggled.

“Let’s see.” Erika’s mother came into the room. She took three steps and stopped. “Oh, Erika, you look so lovely.” Her mom started crying.

“Don’t cry momma.” Erika stepped quickly across the room and flung her arms around her mother.

“You are just so beautiful.” Mrs. Martin wiped at her eyes. She pushed Erika back at arm’s length and took a good look. “I have something for you.”

“Mom I don’t need anything else.” Erika protested.

Erika’s mother pulled out a box and handed it to her. “They are from your grandmother.”

Erika opened the box to reveal a pearl necklace. Erika was stunned. “These. . . these are grandma’s?”

“Yes.” Mrs. Martin nodded. “Handed down from her grandmother, on her wedding day.”

Erika lost it and began weeping. “Oh momma, I don’t know if I could.”

“Don’t be silly. She’d want you to have them.” Her mother insisted. “They’re your something old. Come, let me help you put them on.”

Erika turned around and dipped backwards as her mother draped the pearls around her throat. She carefully moved Erika’s dark ringlets out of the way and clasped the necklace into place. Erika turned around and embraced her mother again.

“Okay, bridezilla, here’s your something blue.” Samantha held the garter out for her.

Erika took the garter and looked down at her layer upon layer of skirts. She looked over at Dani. “Could you?” She asked.

Dani rolled her eyes but took the garter. Erika lifted the skirts and held up a foot as Dani slid the garter over her calf and up to just above the knee.

“Shoes.” Katie held out the heels. She set them on the floor and stood still as Erika used her for balance as she slid her feet into the white satin shoes.

“They’re ready for you.” Rachel poked her head into the room.

Erika looked at each of her friends. Dressed in soft pink dresses, each tailor made for each of their body types. They each held a small bouquet of daisies and smiled at her with love. Erika smiled back, tears forming in her eyes. She walked over to the floor length dressing mirror and looked in.

Dark curls piled on top of her head, cascaded down and hung over one shoulder. Little crystals and tiny sprigs of baby’s breath accentuated the style. Long dark eyelashes accentuated blue eyes. Soft pink lips were plumped to perfection. Her hands went to her throat where she fingered the pearl necklace that her mother had brought for her. A low dipping neckline hinted at her cleavage as the white dress overlaid in lace flowed around her.

“This is what you want isn’t it?” She asked herself in the mirror. “Isn’t this what you want?’ She paused. Her heart started pounding. “Oh, my Is this what I want? . . . I don’t know. . . I don’t know if this is what I want.” Her heart beat even harder.

* * *

Erika sat up in bed her hear racing like a rabbit ‘Oh, my God!’ her brain screamed. ‘Is that what you want? Do you want to be a girl? Do you want to have the perfect wedding, dressed in white and primped to perfection? You’re a boy, Eric, how can you even think of such things.’

Erika jerked the blankets out of her way and slid out of bed. Her breathing was labored as she padded across the cabin and into the bathroom shutting the door behind her. She squinted against the glare of the light and leaned on her hands against the sink. She took a few deep breaths to try and calm herself down before she looked in the mirror.

“Who are you?” She asked the reflection. “Do you really want to be someone’s wife? Or do you want to be someone’s husband?” She locked eyes with her reflection and stared. “Who are you?”

up
211 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

One Step Back

terrynaut's picture

Oh dear. It's two steps forward and one step back. Here we go again.

Poor Erika. It still isn't clear whether she really wants to be a girl or if she's only doing it because her life as a boy has been so difficult. I hope she figures it out.

Thanks and please keep up the good work. :)

- Terry

one step back?

I think i disagree on that she is taking a step back.
Up until now it has always been just the camp where she was a girl. She is now considering the rest of her life. A step back? no.. some healthy self-reflecting before going on? yes!

If she didn't act like this I'd start getting worried. Cause then she'd only be fooling herself.

I love this story, and can't wait till i see the next part :)

Love,
Amber

Stepping Lightly

terrynaut's picture

Granted it's healthy for Erika to question herself and her motives for being a girl. That makes sense. I meant that the story itself is taking a step back, and I don't mean to imply that it's a bad thing. I'm sorry if I gave that impression.

- Terry

All Thinkgs Considered, Erik

Has every right to be confused, he needs help.
May Your Light For ever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Mysterious clues...

So who was Erika marrying? It seemed like Dani, Katie, Samantha and Rachel were her bridesmaids, so it couldn't have been any of them...

Krystal, Victoria, Tricia, and Phoenix weren't present. Unless perhaps they were the other half of the wedding party. But if one of them was the other bride, there would need to be another bridesmaid for balance. Maybe the other bride has a little sister or something.

Also interesting that Daddy wasn't waiting to give his little girl away.

Leeza

... would be a perfect extra bridesmaid.

To bad the dream ended so suddenly

I wonder if this would of been a two bride wedding. That it would have been Erica and none other than who else ... Tricia?

That would have calmed Erica down. she may even have welcomed that dream and thought they could be a definate couple since Samantha is treating Erica like her lost sister, instead of a boy/girlfriend. I think Erica realizes that the Samantha relationship is going no where. Well Tricia is there to pick up the peices, and make Erica feel good about herself. After all, Tricia ia accepting of Eric being Erica, and she seems to like a more feminine boyfriend to boot. I think she realizes having a relationship with Eric is ideal in all ways. She will get the girlfriend she always likes, and the boyfriend that will understand her. A win, win situation.

I do hope the relationship is pure and true with Tricia, Eric/ Erica deserves better than what he/she has had so far.

It is great that all the girls of Columbine now support Eric/Erica totally and see him/her as a true girl and friend.

Hooray for Eric's side. I'm also glad that Phoenix is ok with it.

I wonder who will be queen this year? Any guesses? I have one, but I will hold my tongue until the votes are in, but it all seems like a no brainer. I just hope the king will not be one of those jerks that were like Josh, that is all Erica needs. Another womanizing macho jerk, who thinks he is God's gift to women. Oooops I gave away who will be queen this year. You didn't see that, shhhh keep it secret!!!

Hugs
Joni W

The big question...

Oh my, here it comes... the big question. Now as Erika had this dream, and is standing alone in the cabins bathroom in the middle of the night, it is time for some serious thoughts. Who is Erika? As she is having these thoughts Erika is far beyond playing or pretending. Alot more will happen in the second half of their camp time, and I think we will see Erika leaving. May her friends and cabin mates help her on her way to finding her true self, whatever it might be. I for myself am dearly hoping Erika's mother isn't as harsh as she seemed when she visited her 'son' for the parents day at Camp Kumoni. I hope it will work out for the best to Erika or even Eric at home.

Anistasia, please keep up that good work. I loved your story before, but never commented, but with that last paragraph been read, I just had to tell my thoughts. I think the answer to that question is the most important turning point in a biography of transgendered people.

*hugs*

Saphira, who is eagerly waiting for Erika's inner voice to say something.
--
>> There is not one truth only out there. <<

--
>> There is not one single truth out there. <<

Not surprising

That the child has questions and mixed fealings. Hopefully she won't hurt herself while she struggles with some very difficult questions. I hope her friends help her, and more recognize she needs help.

Thanks,
Annette

I want to be a wife

With a rich sugar daddy!

:)

Gwen

I'm Glad...

...that this very important issue wasn't being shoved under the proverbial rug, as it almost seemed to be last time.

For Erika to imagine a double-bride ceremony with Tricia would strike me as something of a copout, though it's certainly instructive that her question was whether she wants to be a wife or husband, as opposed to whether she wants to marry a wife or husband. (Up to now, there's never been any doubt about the latter answer.)

It may well be that Matt is being introduced in order to give Erika's imagination a palatable option on the male side of things. I had the feeling, if the dream had gone on, that she'd have found Josh leering at her under the wedding canopy. Not that it would be consistent with Samantha as a bridesmaid or much of anything else, but as a dream it doesn't have to be, and Erika, not being attracted to guys, hasn't visualized many options along those lines. (If that were the case, the nightmare might have extended to Eric's father willingly or even eagerly giving away the bride to Josh. Someone commented that Mr. Martin wasn't part of the dream, but it didn't reach the point where he could have been, since Erika hadn't left her dressing room.)

Anyway, another very good chapter. Among many other things, we now know there are more events for Erika before we reach the final decision. (It now seems that we may learn along the way whether Erica's world-view is so different from Eric's that she can't draw his comic -- something that I've been at least idly curious about.)

Eric

Erika drawing?

I don't think Erika will have lost the ability to DRAW at all. SHE may not be able to draw the comic HE started, but her skill at drawing should still be there. She may well be able to draw something that fits Matt's story well. Who knows. :-) I doubt Matt would have been introduced, if she were to discover she could no longer draw. Though, that WOULD complicate things. Maybe I shouldn't have said that, and given the author an idea not already on the plot board.

Annette

Wait a Minute..

My comment extended only to Erika no longer having the mindset to draw Eric's comic. As you say, obviously her general drawing skill shouldn't be impaired, and there's every reason to think she can draw what Matt wants. My point was that in helping Matt, she might incidentally discover something unexpected about the consequences of her change of circumstance and attitude -- and if so, it could have an impact on her decision after camp.

(On the other hand, when she meets Matt, Erika's probably not going to bring out the contraband laptop to show off Eric's strip, so the situation I was considering may not arise.)

Eric

Glad to see Eric wake up again

Frank's picture

Despite the fears of discovery and his mother...underneath he was always a boy who wanted to be accepted. I don't know if i believe in induced transgender. I think he's blossomed as a person, while in the guise of a girl. He happens to have the skill set to pull it off too. I know as a male when I see a pretty female I smile, so if the female in the mirror is me and she's pretty I'd still smile by reflex. I still tend to think we are seeing the coming out of the inner human being moreso than the boy or girl...

I hope there is a volume 2 and AA can make the therapist real enough that he/she doesn't attempt to push him one way or the other. FWIW I'd go with a male shrink, just because the stories usually have lady shrinks :)

Hugs

Frank

Hugs

Frank

Perhaps Frank...

I honestly believe I'd never have gotten beyond "houston, I have a problem" had I been trying to talk to a male shrink... Getting a 2nd opinion from one was bad enough (though he agreed with the diagnosis).

Annette

Reflection

She is doing some serious reflecting.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

“Who are you?”

oh boy, do I remember that feeling ...

DogSig.png