Duty, Honor, Country, Family - Part 10

Printer-friendly version

A Hanshin Giant player had just beat out a bunt single on a very close call, one that brought the Yokohama manager out to argue with the first base umpire.

“That was a bad call,” Goro said as he continued to focus on the ball game rather than the goings on in his box. Doho Taneda, having recovered the napkin with his left hand, was just getting back to his feet less than two feet away from Goro’s side.

“I’m so sorry,” were the last words ever spoken by Doho Taneda.

Hokusai View of Fuji off Kanagawa Province and Yokohama
Chapter Ten

Synopsis- A clash between Hiromi and her grandfather nears even after a unexpected event shakes the Watanabe Yakuza. At the same time the Swan Song committee prepares to bring Agent Ripley in from the field, whether she complies or not.

Warning- There is a one scene involving violence against a woman that while not graphic could shake up sensitive readers.

Thank you to Puddin and John for their help.

Author’s note- Readers may be confused at one point of the story by my use of cities with very similar names. I didn’t properly think through the locales of two characters and their families as I wrote earlier chapters of this story.. Ai Toguchi has a sister in Nagano. Tonichi Ogawa aka Reina Shimizu aka Agent Chrysanthemum lived in Nagoya where he also worked as a policeman. During this part of the story, Ai is debriefed in Nagano by members of the Nagoya police.

There is a minor character with the last name of Sato. Sato is the most common family name in Japan.
 

~*~

 
Hiromi went straight downstairs, wanting to get as far away from Gabrielle Tanaka as possible. Once she was on the ground level, Hiromi had no trouble finding Chuck McBride.

“Kimi-chan, are you enjoying the evening?”

“Yes. Can we leave now? I’m feeling a bit tired.”

“We better get home then.” Taking each other’s hand, Hiromi and Chuck went to find that evening’s host Michiko Yamamoto. Hiromi wanted to say goodbye before leaving.

Chuck and Hiromi were back at the apartment less than an hour later. They went straight to the bedroom. After he’d showered and enjoyed a lovemaking session with his wife, Chuck fell fast asleep.

Hiromi wasn’t ready to go to sleep yet. On entering the apartment, Hiromi took note of a phone message waiting for her. It was from Herman Strauss at the Strauss bank. The Swiss banker asked Hiromi to call back.

The number Hiromi dialed went to Herman Strauss’ secretary, not to the banker directly. Hiromi was put on hold for half a minute.

“Guten Tag, Fraulein Sato.”

“You left me a message to call back,” Hiromi said in a impatient tone of voice. She didn’t like being put on hold even for short periods of time.

“Yes, Fraulein. I called to inform you that the bank transfers you requested have been completed.”

After the Swiss banker confirmed that her instructions had been followed completely, Hiromi hung up the phone. Hiromi then went straight to bed.
 

~*~

 
The autopsy of Reina Shimizu’s body took place the following day. An assistant coroner by the name of Hotaru Sugimoto was in charge of the examination.

Hotaru was at best an average-looking woman. She was forty-two years of age and, after she’d completed her medical residency, had gone straight to work for the Kanagawa prefecture Coroner’s office. Her rapid ascent to assistant coroner in barely six years was due to Hotaru’s professionalism at the career she had chosen for herself.

Before the autopsy could start, Hotaru had to get properly dressed and gloved. When this was completed, Hotaru stepped into Autopsy Room #2. On a wall beside the room’s door, was a plaque. Inscribed on it was a phrase in Latin.

‘Hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae.’ Which in English translates to ‘This is the place where death rejoices to help those who live.’

Reina Shimizu’s remains had been exposed to salt water for so long that it made a proper autopsy difficult but not impossible. X-rays were done before the physical exam began. This was how it was first learned that the body under examination had been a gunshot victim. One of the two bullets fired into Agent Chrysanthemum’s head was still there.

Throughout the autopsy, Hotaru made verbal observations about the body as she examined each lesion and organ. A tape machine was nearby to record anything the Assistant Coroner said. In addition, Hotaru had two male pathologists to assist her throughout the autopsy.

The examination was difficult, but she did the best that she could under the circumstances. Decomposition was extreme to say the least. However, Hotaru was able to determine the body was an adult female. Determining the corpse’s approximate age would take further tests. X-rays of the pelvic area showed the dead woman was unlikely to have experienced childbirth.

Measurements of the body were done first. Then Hotaru opened Reina Shimizu’s body with a Y like incision. This caused no bleeding, for Reina was long since dead.

While her assisting pathologists examined the internal organs of Reina Shimizu, Hotaru concentrated on the brain or what was left of it. The gunshots fired by Hiromi Sato had blown away most of the upper skull but some brain tissue still remained. This was removed by Hotaru for later examination.

Taking a pair of tweezers, Hotaru removed the one bullet out of the brain matter. This was placed in a jar, that was then tightly sealed. A police lab technician would be called to pick it up.

Hotaru made note of the damage, and that the murder victim’s lower jaw was mostly intact. DNA identification may prove difficult by this time, but Dental odontology might be able to do what more advanced science couldn’t.

All of Reina Shimizu’s major body organs were examined, and then returned to the body at least partly intact. Tissue samples were taken. When the autopsy began to wrap up, Hotaru and the pathologists closed up the dead bodyguard’s body. It was later placed in storage and would remain there for at least two weeks. If no family came forward after an identification was made, or if no identification was made at all, then the remains would be disposed of.
 

~*~

 
With Chuck and Hiromi’s wedding only days away, the preparations for it began to quicken. In fact, Hiromi would spend almost all of May 24th and 25th getting ready for the big event.

Before that happened, Roger had a short meeting with Hiromi and Chuck on the night of May 23rd. “Boss, I need to know what your honeymoon plans are.”

Hiromi did all the talking. “It is none of your business.”

“It is my business boss. I’ve been hired to protect you. That includes all trips you make, inside Japan and out.”

“Did you hear what I just said? Where we intend to travel or what we do with our time beginning June 1st is none of your concern till I step foot in Japan again. No one is going to ruin my honeymoon.”

As a sign of support, Chuck squeezed Hiromi’s hand. If it was up to Chuck, he would have told Roger Hyde to go fuck himself. There would be no bodyguards on the upcoming trip. Chuck and Hiromi had recently discussed their travel plans and agreed on this.

The first stop would be New Zealand. Since it was in the southern hemisphere, it was late fall there. Chuck and Hiromi had reservations at a south island resort. If the weather was right, the couple would spend a week there skiing. If not, Chuck and Hiromi would go climbing and hiking.

After a week in New Zealand, Hiromi and Chuck planned to visit Thailand. After another week there, the couple would move on to a yet to be determined third locale for their honeymoon. In all, Chuck and Hiromi would be gone for three weeks.

“I’ll have to speak to Oyabun then,” Roger said as he gathered the pen and notepad he brought with him.

“You speak to Goro. Nothing will change my mind. You and the other men won’t be coming with us,” Hiromi said angrily.

Roger did consult with Goro Watanabe. Goro approved Hiromi and Chuck’s plan to honeymoon without bodyguards. The Oyabun however made two requests of his cousin. The first was that Hiromi and her husband keep him appraised of their location and what hotels they were staying in, just in case some urgent matter came up or an emergency occurred.

Hiromi and Chuck immediately agreed to the first request. Roger Hyde then told his boss of the second. “Oyabun thinks it would be a wise precaution.

Hiromi thought it over for a few moments. “All right, but then we’re to be left alone.”

“Of course, boss,” Roger said before leaving Hiromi’s Watanabe Trucking office. Chuck and Hiromi would be allowed to honeymoon as they pleased.
 

~*~

 
On May 24th, Gabrielle and Oscar flew back to the United States. Gabrielle used the flight to finish a report on Operation Hornblower. After having difficulty sleeping the previous evening, Oscar decided to take a nap shortly after take-off. The Brazilian-born banker slept for almost two hours.

When Oscar woke up, he undid his seat belt. “Gabrielle, can I get you anything to drink?”

“No, thank you,” Gabrielle replied without looking up from the computer screen.

Oscar came back a minute later. He handed Gabrielle a bottle of mineral water. “I know you’re busy, Gabrielle, but you have to drink liquids. Long flights cause dehydration.”

Gabrielle took the water handed to her, but not before she looked up at Oscar and gave him a slight smile. “I know that. Thank you.”

Oscar went back to his seat. He then spent his time reading a few of the magazines available on the private jet. Gabrielle sonn put her report on Operation Hornblower to rest. The FBI agent would read it, and re-read it again several times before submitting it to Grant Williamson and the Swan Song committee.

Gabrielle was turning off her laptop when Oscar decided to speak up again. “I gather what you to came to Tokyo for didn’t go well. Did it?”

“No, it didn’t.”

“Would you like to talk about it?”

“I can’t.”

“Oh. I gather what you’re working on is top secret then.”

“You could say that,” Gabrielle said at the same time her laptop finished powering down. Once that task was completed, Gabrielle stowed the PC in a computer bag next to her chair. “Oscar, I’m going to take a nap if you don’t mind.”

“Go ahead, Gabby. I’ll try to be quiet.”

The executive jet Gabrielle and Oscar were on was not destined for Seattle, the airport they’d originally left from, but flew to Northern Virginia instead, a trip that would normally be non-stop except for the lack of tail winds that particular day. This required a stop in Oregon in order to re-fuel.

Gabrielle barely stirred during the stopover. The jet was somewhere over the Midwest when Oscar decided to wake his traveling companion.

“How long was I asleep?” Gabrielle asked as she tried to shake the sleep from her head.

“A long time. We’re only three hours from home now. Coffee?”

“Yes, please,” Gabrielle said. A minute later, Oscar was back with coffee for Gabrielle. The banker even fixed the java with cream and sugar without Gabrielle having to ask.

“How is it?”

“Perfect,” Gabrielle replied, after taking a few sips of the coffee handed to her.

While Gabrielle tried to wake up, Oscar placed a phone call. Gabrielle couldn’t help but eavesdrop, but her inability to understand Portuguese made it impossible for the FBI agent to follow what Oscar was talking about until Oscar was almost ready to hang up the phone. “Yes, Margarita, dinner for two tonight at 8pm.” Oscar then reverted back to Portuguese for the rest of the phone conversation.

“You have plans for tonight?” Gabrielle asked after Oscar turned off the phone.

“Yes, Gabrielle. I was hoping you’d join me for dinner. Please?”

Gabrielle didn’t say anything for a minute. She still had Oscar tagged as gay, therefore whatever the banker had planned for the night, it couldn’t possibly be a date. “I still have my report to finish.”

Oscar nodded his head. “Yes I understand. It isn’t due till Monday, is it?”

“No.”

“Then you have time for me tonight. I think after what I did for the Bureau, you can at least accept my dinner invitation.”

Gabrielle could have countered that she and Oscar had been having dinner together for almost a week when posing as boyfriend and girlfriend. Instead Gabrielle caved in. “Very well, Oscar, I accept.”

“After dinner I’ll have Leo take you home. Leo is my chauffeur.” From previous conversations, Oscar knew Gabrielle had a apartment in Northern Virginia. Gabrielle also knew from an early FBI briefing that the Toniguchi family had a Georgetown townhouse.

Oscar and Gabrielle arrived in Georgetown a few minutes before 7pm. After checking in with Margarita, Oscar showed Gabrielle around the townhouse.

When the tour was finished, Oscar took Gabrielle to the living room. Oscar then put some classical music on for his guest. “Gabrielle if you’ll excuse me, I have to make a phone call.”

“Go right ahead.”

“My father called. He wants me to call right back.”

“Where are your parents now?”

“Back in Brazil.”

“Do what ever you have to do. I’ll still be here when you’re done,” Gabrielle told Oscar.

Before exiting the room, Oscar told Gabrielle that if she needed anything, she should ask Margarita.

Shortly after Oscar left her, Gabrielle began walking around the living room. Gabrielle was feeling restless from her flight to Japan and the short nap she had taken, so she didn’t feel much like sitting down.

As she waited for Oscar, Gabrielle examined some of the photos in the room. They were quite numerous, and Gabrielle theorized that a member of the Toniguchi family was a photography buff. Was that what Oscar did in his free time?

Gabrielle was looking at some photos of Oscar and his family, when the banker returned. “See anything interesting?”

“You have a very nice family.”

“Thank you. Margarita said dinner is almost ready. Do you want to go to the dining room now?” After Gabrielle said yes, Oscar showed his guest to the townhouse’s dining area.

While eating, Oscar tried to get Gabrielle talking about her life and work. Gabrielle was vague in her answers. Her mind was still going over Operation Hornblower and why it had failed. What had Gabrielle done wrong?

“That meeting you did on Thursday, it didn’t go well?

“Oscar, besides being a banker are you a mind reader?

“No, I am not,” Oscar said with a slight grin. Then Oscar turned serious. “Gabrielle, you don’t hide your emotions very well. Would you like to talk about happened in Tokyo with me? I assure you that anything you tell me will remain confidential.”

Gabrielle tried telling Oscar the reasons Operation Hornblower had to remain confidential. Oscar accepted the explanation but only half way. He asked Gabrielle that, as he had just been part of the Operation itself, why shouldn’t he be fully briefed?

“You wouldn’t believe me if I told you the whole story.”

“Try me,” Oscar told Gabrielle. Gabrielle then gave the banker the short version of Operation Swan Song. “That sounds like a bad Sci-Fi channel movie.”

“It’s quite real.”

“This person codenamed Ripley is your friend?”

“Yes, Oscar.”

“You really care for them?”

Oscar’s line of questioning caused tears to form in Gabrielle’s eyes as she relived what happened the other night. Could the cause for Hornblower’s failure be chalked up to Gabrielle not saying three words to Tom Slater? ‘I love you.’

Gabrielle felt so terribly guilty. Finally the dam holding back her tears burst. Seeing this, Oscar brought Gabrielle a box of Kleenex.

“I’ve got to go,” Gabrielle said after wiping the tears from her face. After pushing her chair back from the table, Gabrielle got to her feet.

“You’re leaving? Gabrielle, you barely touched dinner.

“I’m not hungry,” Gabrielle said as she walked over to where she left her purse. “Thank you for the meal.”

Oscar barraged his friend with questions, but Gabrielle stayed on course. She needed to get home and have a good and private cry.

As soon as she exited the Toniguchi townhouse, Gabrielle began looking for a cab. None were in the area.

Oscar had followed her put the door, “Gabrielle, will you listen to me for one minute. PLEASE.”

Feeling she owed Oscar at least that one minute he’d asked for, Gabrielle turned around to address him. “What do you want?”

“Come back in and finish dinner.”

“I’m not hungry.”

“Then let me call Leo. He went to grab something to eat. I will have him drive you home. Can I do that for you?”

Gabrielle thought over Oscar’s proposition for a few seconds. “I accept.”

“Come back inside. I’ll call Leo right away.”

Gabrielle took a seat in the front foyer of the Toniguchi home and waited. While Oscar called Leo, Gabrielle reflected on what a mess her life was then. She hadn’t just failed herself, but family and friends also. Worst of all, Gabrielle had failed Tom Slater.

“Leo will be here in twenty to thirty minutes,” Oscar called out as he approached Gabrielle. “In the meantime why don’t you finish the meal Margarita made for us.” Oscar then offered Gabrielle his right hand.

“I’m not that hungry.”

“Eat what you can. You can take the rest home.”

Gabrielle laughed. “You got doggy bags around here?”

“No, but I seem to remember Margarita having Tupperware containers in the kitchen. Come on, Gabrielle, please?”

Gabrielle went back to the dining area and did as Oscar suggested, except Gabrielle only picked at the remaining food on her plate.

When Oscar concluded his guest was done eating, he summoned Margarita to clear the table. “Did you like dinner?”

“Yes, it was good.”

“Margarita will give you what is leftover to take home. You do own a microwave?”

Gabrielle laughed. “Of course I do. I’m just never home to use it.”

“You’re very unhappy with work right now?”

“Oscar, are you always good at reading your girlfriend or boyfriend’s minds?”

Now it was time for Oscar to laugh. “No, I’m a bit of an amateur psychiatrist. If my parents didn’t insist on me going into the family business, I would have studied medicine instead.”

“Too bad. Japan missed having its own Sigmund Freud.”

Oscar laughed again. “You think I’m gay?”

“You’re rich, good looking, single, and thirty-one-years-old.”

“That I am.”

“Plus you seem too interested in women’s clothing. I never knew a straight guy who did.”

Oscar laughed very hard. “Now you do.”

“Sorry if I insulted you. Maybe I should grab a cab instead of letting Leo drive me home.”

“No, Gabrielle, I don’t feel insulted by what you said. Leo will still take you home. In the meantime, want to hear a short story?”

Gabrielle looked at her watch before answering. “Why not?”

“While I was growing up there was this very special friend I had. I called her Sandy, it wasn’t her real name. Sandy’s parents both work at my family home in Brazil.”

Sandy was an Ofaye, one of Brazil’s indigenous people. From an early age, Sandy was Oscar’s best friend. Eventually the friendship turned to love.

“How did your Mom and Dad feel about Sandy?”

“They were fine with Sandy. Mom used to treat her like a third daughter.”

“Oscar, what happened to Sandy?”

Rather than answer the question, Oscar talked more about Sandy. The experiences they had together, the love they shared. Sandy, the simple Ofaye girl, had brought joy and happiness to Oscar Toniguchi’s life.

“I learned about women’s clothes because of Sandy. There was something about her, I just wanted to know everything she was. The few times we came to the US together , she liked to go shopping at JC Penney.”

Gabrielle still remembered Oscar’s JC Penney remark before the flight over to Japan.

“Sandy rarely asked me for anything. I had to make her take things.”

“Like what?”

Oscar told of how Sandy never drove or owned a car till age nineteen. Then after being taught how to drive one summer, Oscar wanted to get Sandy a car.

“She used to ride around on a old rusty bicycle. I wanted to get her a new car. To make a long story short, I ended up buying Sandy a used VW Beetle that probably had 300,000 miles on it. It was the only car Sandy would let me buy her.”

Gabrielle let out a short laugh.

Oscar told of how Sandy and he got engaged to marry in 2000. The wedding was set for the following year. As the big day approached, Sandy began to complain of feeling unwell.

“I took Sandy to a doctor. A few days later after some tests were done, we went back. The doctor told Sandy she had advanced ovarian cancer. Sandy died less than two months later, on the day before we were scheduled to marry.”

Again Gabrielle was ready to cry but this time for her friend. Oscar had lost everything that he held dear in life. “I’m so sorry.”

“We never know what we truly have till we lose it. That especially holds true for our loved ones.”

The room got silent for a short time. Oscar was then given a message by Margarita. Leo was waiting outside to take Gabrielle to her apartment in Virginia. Gabrielle was now in no hurry to leave.

“I haven’t seen anyone since. Don’t know if I ever will,” Oscar admitted.

“Oscar, some woman would be very lucky to have you as a husband.”

“Maybe. You’re not applying?”

Gabrielle let out a short laugh. “No, I’m not.”

“Didn’t think you were. You have lost your heart also, to that Army Captain.”

“Yes, I have.”

“Then fight like the devil for him or her.”

“That is what I am doing already.”

Oscar grinned for a moment. “I know. If I read you right, you will love the Army Captain no matter what their gender is when this operation is over.”

Again Oscar made Gabrielle laugh. “Oscar, you really should take that mind reading act of yours to Las Vegas. You would be wealthy and famous in no time.”

“It’s too late for that, Gabby.”

Gabrielle looked at her watch again. “I’d better go now. The report I am writing has to be finished by Monday morning. Thank you for dinner.”

“You’re welcome.”

Oscar and Gabrielle left the house a few minutes later. Leo and the limousine were all ready for the trip to trip to Virginia.

“Gabrielle, I know you’re not happy with the bureau. If you’re ever looking for a new job, give me a call. My bank needs good people.”

“Thanks, Oscar.”

“We even have benefits for domestic partners.” Again, Oscar caused Gabrielle to laugh.

After saying goodbye to Oscar, Gabrielle climbed into the limousine.

Gabrielle spent all of Sunday preparing her report on Operation Hornblower, only taking time out to call Midori Slater late on Sunday afternoon. As when she’d talked to Tom Slater’s mother on Mother’s Day, Gabrielle held nothing back as she told Midori about the failure of Operation Hornblower.

Then, on Monday morning, Gabrielle went to the Hoover Building to see Grant Williamson. The FBI Deputy Director took less than ten minutes to read the report Gabrielle had drafted. When he was through, Grant looked up at Gabrielle. “Good work, Agent Tanaka.”

“Thank you, sir, but I feel Operation Hornblower’s failure is partly my fault. If I had addressed Agent Ripley in a different manner, maybe she would have emerged.”

“You tried, Agent Tanaka. Are you going back to Japan now?”

“Yes, sir. I have a reservation for an afternoon flight out of Dulles.”

Grant Williamson then passed Gabrielle a brief memo. It concerned Agent Concierge’s most recent message to her controllers. “Did you know anything about this?”

The message was quite short. It said Hiromi Sato was marrying Charles McBride on May 31st.

Gabrielle gave the memo back to her boss. “No, sir, I didn’t.”

As there was nothing else to discuss, Grant Williamson dismissed Agent Tanaka. Feeling guilty again, Gabrielle had another good cry on the way to Dulles Airport that morning.

‘I love you, Tom Slater. How can I save you?’
 

~*~

 
A preliminary DNA match had been made between the remains found by Frank Snyder and Agent Chrysanthemum. Due to the body’s decomposition and exposure to the elements, there was still some tiny doubt as to the identification. Assistant coroner Hotaru Sugimoto saw that the file was red flagged and went to see her superior.

Dr. Akinobu Okada was the Coroner for Kanagawa prefecture and Hotaru’s boss. After receiving a verbal report from his subordinate, Akinobu had a question to ask. “What are you proposing we do next?”

“There are enough remains for a dental identification to be made,” Hotaru told her boss.

Forensic odontology, even in the age of DNA technology, was still a vital tool in the investigation of foul play. It was a backup means of identifying a body when tissue samples had become degraded.

“I’ve taken the liberty of contacting Dr. Ryuku Takagi’s office. She is unavailable this week, but would be available next Monday. That is, if you approve, Okara-san.”

Akinobu Okara did approve, and told Dr. Sugimoto to go ahead with her proposal. While they’d only met a few brief times, Akinobu knew of Dr. Takagi’s awesome reputation in forensic odontology.

“Should we inform the Nagoya police yet?”

Dr. Okara shook his head. The coroner was a cautious man and this particular identification had been deemed very important by Japanese authorities. Akinobu wanted to be as close to one hundred percent certain about the identification before taking the next step. “No, Hota-san, not yet. We will wait till Dr. Takagi confirms the identification.”
 

~*~

 
Gabrielle Tanaka was still en route to Japan when the latest Swan Song committee meeting took place. Its main purpose was to discuss what were to be the next steps for the off track Operation.

“The Director told me that Swan Song is to still go forward,” Grant Williamson told Major Hollins, Inspector Yoshida, Dr. Wagner, and the other people present at the meeting.

A representative of the US Justice Department then spoke. “We have a rock solid case against the Watanabes. The testimony of Agent Ripley would be preferable, but even its complete absence shouldn’t too severely affect the chances for conviction.”

The Japanese justice ministry official agreed with his American colleague.

There was some debate over what the next steps should be. Dr. Wagner broke in with a remark, “I wouldn’t think the police can just show up with arrest warrants and expect the Watanabes to peacefully surrender themselves.”

“No attempts at an arrest will be made without thorough preparation before hand,” Inspector Yoshida said.

Senior Detective Kim Ki-Jong of Seoul South Korea was at the meeting too, and added, “Officials in my country want to learn the names of those responsible for the murder of Judge Song and his wife. Agent Ripley said at his Hong Kong debriefing that she had some knowledge that would be of help identifying the killers.”

“Kim-san, we haven’t forgotten that,” Inspector Yoshida replied. As he’d said before, thorough preparations would have to be made before any arrests would happen. The Japanese authorities preferred that there be few, if any, casualties. “Agent Concierge will be debriefed eleven days from now. Information we learn from her will be used when it comes time to make arrests.”

Where Agent Ripley would go after her upcoming wedding was discussed next. Swan Song knew nothing of Hiromi Sato’s honeymoon plans. Accordingly, any plan to snatch her when she was out of Japan would have to be made on the fly.

Grant Williamson addressed Inspector Yoshida. “Inspector, make sure to notify the committee as soon as it is learned where Ripley is going.”

“Yes, sir.”

Major Hollins then spoke. “Sir, does this mean Operation Firecracker is called off?”

“No, Major, you are to begin training immediately,” Grant Williamson replied. Just the day before, Major Hollins had received permission from Japanese authorities to begin training for Operation Firecracker.

The Suzuka International racing course, home to the Japanese Grand Prix, would be the site for Operation Firecracker training. The owners of the racetrack had offered the use of their facilities to the Swan Song committee.

Hiromi Sato’s upcoming wedding was discussed. Dr. Wagner was still arguing in favor of her theory about there being two personas in the body of Hiromi Sato to the committee members. That was the only way to account for the fact that Agent Ripley was behaving as if she were truly Hiromi Sato, she told them.

“Either that, or Ripley has gone to work for the enemy,” Major Hollins said.

Without conclusive proof either way, Grant Williamson cut off any further debate on the topic. Since there was nothing further to discuss, the latest Swan Song committee meeting was adjourned.
 

~*~

 
A great deal of packing had to be done before Hiromi and Chuck went on their honeymoon, so Hiromi began the process on the Monday evening before the big day.

Multiple suitcases were needed for the three-week trip. A large amount of clothing had to be neatly folded and Hiromi preferred doing this by herself. Also, due to the differing climates at the honeymoon destinations she and Chuck would be visiting, clothes had to be properly sorted.

Hiromi also had a checklist of personal items she would be taking on the trip. Two nights before the wedding, Hiromi began sorting these out also. She would not be staying Friday night at her Negishi Bay apartment, but at her grandfather’s home instead.

“Are you excited?” Chuck asked Hiromi while both of them were in the bathroom.

“Yes.”

Hiromi’s marriage wouldn’t alter her life much. After all, she and Chuck had been living together for some time. Other changes lay ahead for Hiromi, both in her professional and personal lives, one of which Hiromi decided to implement immediately. Before going to bed on Thursday night, Hiromi dumped her daily birth control pills down the toilet.

Hiromi thought it was time to let nature take its course. In a few years, combining pregnancy and the role of Oyabun of the Watanabe Yakuza might not mix. It would be best for Hiromi to start on a family immediately.
 

~*~

 
Midori waited patiently in the surgical waiting room of Salem Hospital. Her husband Stuart’s heart valve replacement surgery had begun about an hour earlier.

As she waited, Midori prayed for her husband, her son Tom, and the entire Slater family. The Slaters had suffered so much the last few years. Midori asked God to show them some mercy for a change.

Midori thought back to the conversation she had with Gabrielle Tanaka a few days earlier. The news about Operation Hornblower’s failure was just the latest heartbreak for the mother. Her son Tom might be forever lost. If he didn’t recognize Gabrielle, would Tom remember the rest of his family?

‘I won’t give up hope,’ Midori told herself. She would fight for Tom, he was after all Midori’s only son. God would return Tom Slater to his parents. Midori sincerely believed this, God would not let her family suffer any more.

Salem was supposed to be one of the best hospitals in the Pacific Northwest for Open Heart Surgery, and Dr. James Lancelot a highly skilled surgeon, but Midori still worried. She loved her husband of thirty-five years, and couldn’t imagine life without Stuart.

Midori couldn’t imagine life without her son Tom either. Would Gabrielle or someone else be able to re-awaken Tom Slater? Or would he be doomed to live inside a body he didn’t control?

“Hi, Mom,” Deborah Slater said as she sat down in a chair alongside her mother. Tom Slater’s sister lived in the Portland Oregon suburb of Tigard. “Is Dad still being operated on?”

“Yes, Dr. Lancelot says the operation will take around three hours.”

“The operation started at ten?”

“Yes, that’s what they tell me.”

Deborah asked if her mother wanted to go get some lunch. Midori said she didn’t. Right then she wasn’t feeling very hungry.

“How was Shannon?” Midori asked. A wife of a man undergoing open heart surgery could be justified in being preoccupied with their spouse’s condition, but Midori was constantly thinking of all her family members.

“I dropped him at the sitter. Donald will pick Shannon up after work tonight.”

Midori’s thoughts kept returning to the subject of her son. Tom had undergone changes for the mission he was asked to volunteer for. Midori knew both of the changes and risks, and had encouraged her son to say yes. Now Midori was feeling guilty. Had she helped cause Tom’s death?

Tom hadn’t died, but was in grave danger, Midori had learned from her most recent talk with Gabrielle Tanaka. The guilt Midori felt for letting her son get in this difficulty was increasing daily.

Sometimes Midori wished she had someone to talk with about these feelings. Gabrielle had told Midori about Operation Swan Song in confidence that she would keep its details secret. Normally the wife and mother would have passed any news about Tom to his father and sisters. This time she hadn’t, and this was causing Midori to feel even more overwhelmed.

Deborah Slater chose to read a magazine while waiting for the results of her father’s surgery. Midori, with all the stress she was under, couldn’t concentrate on anything but the state of her family.

Midori was still thinking of Tom’s changes, not just physical, but the mental changes Gabrielle had told her of. Gabrielle hoped they could be reversed, but Midori had to be prepared for the worst. All she prayed for now was that her son Tom regained his or her identity and self control.

Any permanent changes to Tom would be accepted. Midori was an unselfish mother. She would always love Tom, or if fate would have it, should she become Rebecca. It didn’t matter, the bond between Midori and any of her children would never be broken.

It was shortly after 1pm when Midori heard her name being called. The mother, with her daughter Deborah alongside her, went immediately to the information desk.

“I’m Midori Slater.”

“Your husband’s surgery just ended. Dr. Lancelot will be here to talk to you in a few moments.”

Midori and Deborah Slater saw Dr. Lancelot less than five minutes later. Stuart Slater’s heart operation had gone well. The Slaters were relieved to hear this.

An hour later Midori and Deborah were allowed into Stuart Slater’s ICU room. The retired Army Master Sergeant barely looked human. Stuart Slater was on a ventilator, and multiple tubes and wiring were connected to his body.

“Deborah, I will stay here all weekend.”

“All right, Mom.” The mother and daughter then shared a hug.
 

~*~

 
The weather on the day of Hiromi and Chuck’s wedding couldn’t have been better. A cloudless sky above, and a cool mountain breeze that filled the air made for a perfect setting at Keiji Watanabe’s lakeside home.

At 3pm sharp, Keiji Watanabe began walking his granddaughter down the aisle. Hiromi wore a white wedding gown with a long train. Charles McBride was smiling as his soon to be wife approached. As soon as Hiromi was in place, a Japanese born Methodist Minister began the ceremony.

Over three hundred people were in attendance for the wedding and the reception afterwards. Most were Japanese, but people came from Hong Kong, Singapore, Australia, Macau, The United States and Ireland to see Chuck and Hiromi marry.

All the guests gave a gift to the newlywed couple. Most handed over an envelope to a Watanabe cousin who was put in charge of collecting and safeguarding Hiromi and Chuck’s wedding presents.

“I hope we didn’t get five microwave ovens,” Chuck said to his wife as they peeked at a few of the non-monetary gifts they got. Hiromi laughed at her husband’s remark.

Chuck and Hiromi left for their wedding night hotel at 10pm sharp. Before leaving, Hiromi threw her wedding bouquet to the female guests present. It was caught by Suki Kobayashi.

The newlywed couple had reservations for a suite at the Intercontinental Grand Yokohama hotel. Yakuza bodyguards were in place already when Hiromi and Chuck arrived.
 

~*~

 
Little did Agent Ripley know, but the Swan Song committee had The Intercontinental staked out. It was a last minute idea of Inspector Yoshida who had a hunch that Chuck and Hiromi would overnight in Yokohama before exiting Japan the next day. Inspector Yoshida had small teams of policemen stake out each of the city’s five-star hotels.

Gabrielle Tanaka didn’t take part in the stakeout. Shortly after arriving back in Japan, Gabrielle was given new orders by Grant Williamson. She was told to work with the Nagoya police as they prepared for Agent Concierge’s debriefing.

Inspector Yoshida was asleep already when the call came from the Intercontinental. “Thank you, Kenta-san, for informing me. I will make the necessary phone calls.”

A much larger team of watchers was in place the following morning. Shortly after 9am, a policeman posing as a hotel worker informed the team leader that Agent Ripley and her husband were leaving their hotel suite.

Senior Detective Soyogi had people ready to follow Ripley as soon as she exited the hotel. Keeping a tail on Ripley was considered difficult but not impossible. By Swan Song’s calculations, there were only two places she could be going, so they could have agents in place at both.

The two choices were either Yokohama Station, where the Narita Express made a stop. The Narita Express was the swiftest way to get from Yokohama to Japan’s largest international airport, Narita. The second possible destination for Hiromi and Chuck was Tokyo-Haneda airport. This could be reached by car.

When Hiromi Sato’s yellow Fairlady exited the garage heading in the direction of neither Tokyo-Haneda airport or Yokohama station, the watchers were surprised. Hiromi and Chuck were taking a leisurely path out of the city.

“Keep tailing her,” Inspector Yoshida told Senior Detective Soyogi. “We need to know Sato’s final destination.”

The Fairlady and its occupants didn’t stop for over three hours, or till the car pulled into a filling station north of Tokyo. Trying to look inconspicuous, the trailing car with two Yokohama police in it, stopped at a small store a block past where Agent Ripley stopped to fill up her vehicle

Taking out a pair of binoculars, Detective Eishin Maeda looked back at the filling station. The Detective closely examined the two people who were standing next to The Fairlady. Detective Maeda then took a moment to check a photograph given to him before going back to the surveillance task he had been given.

Another half minute passed. Then Detective Maeda put down the binoculars and said. “That is not Hiromi Sato.”
 

~*~

 
The little trickery played on the people watching Hiromi Sato, had come about with the help of an actor and actress hired to impersonate the married couple. Twenty minutes after the Fairlady exited the Intercontinental parking garage, the real Hiromi and Chuck sneaked out of the suite they were staying in.

After riding downstairs in a service elevator, Hiromi, Chuck, Roger, and Yuri proceeded to walk through the hotel’s laundry area. A van was waiting at the loading dock to take all of them to Tokyo-Haneda airport.

At Tokyo-Haneda airport, a private jet was waiting for Hiromi and Chuck. The couple was already on the aircraft, when a Japanese Immigration official came to inspect their passports.

The private jet had a crew of three for the 9400 kilometer trip to Christchurch New Zealand. A pilot and co-pilot to fly the aircraft, and one attendant whose job it was to see to all of Hiromi and Chuck’s needs.

“Are we all set?” Roger asked once the Immigration official had left.

“Yes, we are,” Hiromi replied.

“Have a safe trip, Boss.”
 

~*~

 
“What do you mean we lost them?” A dumbfounded Grant Williamson asked Inspector Yoshida.

“Two people were hired to play the parts of Hiromi Sato and Charles McBride,” Inspector Yoshida said at the conclusion of a lengthy dissertation on the little bit of trickery played on the Yokohama police. “We are still checking, but so far we have no idea where Agent Ripley went to.”

“Have immigration authorities been informed?”

“Yes, sir. I am now waiting for a return phone call”

Grant Williamson hung up the phone a few moments later. As soon as the receiver was in its cradle, the Deputy FBI Director let out a long string of expletives in regards to the latest Swan Song/Agent Ripley news.
 

~*~

 
Immigration had nothing to get back to Swan Song with. With the help of an additional bonus paid to them by Goro Watanabe, a Immigration employee already on the Yakuza payroll deleted all trace of Hiromi and Chuck’s departure from the country.

Goro had all this, as well as the tomfoolery with the doubles, done because of recent news that some high ranking Watanabe family members may be under surveillance. The usually cautious Goro decided to take as few chances as possible with his cousin’s safety.

The trip to New Zealand was long and unremarkable for Chuck and Hiromi. After passing customs and immigration, the newlywed couple hopped on another private plane for the short hop to New Zealand’s south island.

Hiromi and Chuck had reservations for the Cardrona Alpine Resort. Since they arrived past sunset and after a long plane trip, the couple checked straight into their room for the night. they only allowed their privacy to be interrupted for the delivery of room service.

Chuck woke the next morning to find Hiromi had left their room without even leaving a note behind for her husband. After getting dressed, Chuck went searching for Hiromi.

“Kimi-chan,” Chuck said to Hiromi after finding her in a resort business office. Hiromi was using a hotel computer. “What brings you here?”

“I just needed to check on some business and send an email or two,” Hiromi told her husband before standing up. The tasks she had come to the business office for were already finished. “You didn’t mind?”

Not waiting for Chuck to answer, Hiromi went straight over to her husband and kissed him. “I’m hungry, are you?”

Chuck smiled. “Yes, I am. Let’s go get some breakfast then.”
 

~*~

 
‘Do these boys and girls realize they are watching a Michelangelo at work? Probably not,” Dr. Hideki Yamamoto asked and answered himself. The forensic pathologist was seated in the gallery section of a Yokohama National University operating room watching his friend and colleague, forensic odontologist, Ryuku Takagi, identify a body.

Hideki had only watched Dr. Takagi at work once before in the thirty years they knew one another. So that early June afternoon was a real treat. In Dr. Yamamoto’s eyes, Ryuku was as beautiful as she had been when the two of them went to medical school together those many years ago.

Dr. Yamamoto was equally awed by Ryuku Takagi’s skill at forensic odontology. The men or women who were Dr. Takagi’s equal in the field, could be counted on one hand. She had lectured around the world on the use of forensic odontology to identify bodies, and had written textbooks on the subject

Ryuku knew Hideki was watching her. Other than a slight nod of her head to acknowledge her friend’s presence, Ryuku concentrated on the work in front of her, to identify the remains of the body located by Frank Snyder.

Three young medical students, two male and one female, were observing Dr. Takagi close up. When Dr. Takagi began, there had been five students, but two of them had excused themselves.

Seeing the body of Reina Shimizu wasn’t for the squeamish. Those two students were probably reconsidering what branch of medicine they wanted to practice.

Radiographs had been taken of Reina Shimizu’s remaining teeth. When compared to the radiographs supplied by Nagoya police, they seemed to further verify the identity of the body Dr. Takagi was examining.

Dr. Takagi was a thorough forensic odontologist, and wanted to be absolutely certain of the identification. This required casts to be made of the Agent Chrysanthemum’s remaining teeth. These would be matched with the Nagoya police records but, before that could happen, the casts would need to dry.

Because Dr. Takagi was using this particular case as an example to teach future forensic odontologists, she was more deliberate than usual. When finished, Dr. Takagi and her students left the operating room.

Dr. Yamamoto was waiting for his former classmate. “Ryuku-san, it is good to see you again. I hope you are well again.”

“Yes, I am,” Ryuku Takagi replied. Her husband of twenty-six years, Akira Takagi, had died nine months earlier. “It is good seeing you too, Hideki-san.”

“May I interest you in dinner tonight?”

Ryuku was keenly aware of Hideki’s continuing sexual attraction towards her. Dr. Yamamoto was a married man, and Ryuku Takagi would never take part in an act of adultery. She would however accept an offer of a free meal. “Yes, Hideki-san, I would like that.”
 

~*~

 
Forty-eight hours later the Nagoya police were given the reports of both Dr. Takagi and Dr. Sugimoto. Agent Chrysanthemum was indeed dead and her body had been identified. Cause of death: Multiple gunshot wounds. Identity of the murderer, or murderers: Unknown.

Tonichi Ogawa’s family and the Swan Song committee were immediately notified. The death of the Nagoya policeman wasn’t taken well by either Momoko Ogawa or Grant Williamson. What was at the root of their unhappiness was entirely different.

“We have another dead agent, that’s just great,” Grant Williamson said in exasperation at the latest Swan Song meeting.

“You should see it from Momoko Ogawa’s perspective,” Inspector Yoshida said acidly. The Yokohama policeman found Grant Williamson’s remark to be disgusting “She was just told her husband was brutally murdered.”

Grant Williamson showed little sign of sympathy for Tonichi Ogawa’s widow as he asked a question of Inspector Yoshida. “Have we discovered yet where Agent Ripley is?”

“No, we haven’t but I assure you, every effort is being made to locate Ripley.”

“The debriefing of Concierge is still set for Saturday. Do you think Concierge may know where Ripley has gone?”

Inspector Yoshida shrugged. “Yes, it is possible, but Concierge is really just a low level informant. I wouldn’t get my hopes up.”

Grant Williamson paused for a almost a minute. “Inspector, you are to make sure Agent Concierge is questioned about everything she knows about both Agent Ripley and the Watanabes.”

“Yes, sir. That is the plan.” Inspector Yoshida replied. The Japanese policeman would not be doing Ai Toguchi’s debriefing, but rather the Nagoya police and Gabrielle Tanaka. Inspector Yoshida would pass Grant Williamson’s message to the appropriate people.

Grant Williamson then asked Major Hollins to update the committee on how the training for Operation Firecracker was going.

Major Hollins said it was going well.

Gabrielle Tanaka didn’t say anything at this latest Swan Song meeting. She had long ago come to the conclusion that Grant Williamson an unfeeling, career-driven, asshole. Today was just the latest confirmation. What weighed heavily on Gabrielle’s mind as she prepared to meet Ai Toguchi, was where in the world was Tom Slater right then?
 

~*~

 
Hiromi and Chuck were enjoying their honeymoon in New Zealand. After only a half day spent skiing, Hiromi was glad she had accepted her husband’s suggestion for their honeymoon.

It wasn’t long before Chuck and Hiromi settled into a honeymoon routine. They would make ski or snowboard for most of the day before returning to the hotel in the later afternoon. They would then make love, go have dinner, spend the evening dancing or going to places in town, then retire to the hotel for the evening. Chuck and Hiromi would make love again before going to bed.

Hiromi had her period on her second full day in New Zealand. Due to the lack of birth control, it seemed a little heavier than normal to the Yakuza accountant. Hiromi’s plan to start a family in the not too immediate future seemed to be on course for now.
 

~*~

 
The announced purpose for Ai Toguchi’s trip to Nagano was to visit her sister Mie. Mie’s birthday was upcoming. When asked by his wife if she could go away for a few days, Keiji Watanabe voiced no objection.

Ai traveled to Nagano without a bodyguard. It would have been difficult to attend the debriefing if Ana Ramirez had come along. Ana didn’t make the trip by plane from Tokyo-Haneda airport but Ai was not alone. Two undercover policemen were on same flight as Agent Concierge. Both men were checking to see that Ai Toguchi wasn’t being followed.

There was no tail. Ai Toguchi arrived in Nagano shortly after 11am on June 7th, just another Japanese citizen traveling to the city that once hosted the winter Olympics. Ai had no baggage to claim, so she went straight to the curb with Cherry and her one carry-on bag.

Cherry, confined to a small pet carrier, was whimpering as his owner climbed into a cab. Ai rarely went anywhere without Cherry. Keiji Watanabe didn’t care much for the dog, and Ai didn’t trust her husband enough to leave Cherry in his care.

The cab ride to the home of Mie Nayama took a half hour. After compensating the cab driver, Ai took her possessions and entered the home belonging to her sister.

Neither Mie or her children were home that day. They had been asked by Japanese police to vacate the home for a day. This was just a precaution being taken by the Nagoya police.

As soon as she entered the house, Ai took out her cell phone and dialed a local number.

“I have arrived. What am I to do? ”

“Just wait where you are. A car will come shortly,” said a male voice.

An unmarked police car picked up Ai and Cherry a half hour later. Both were then taken to a safe house in another part of Nagano.

Nagoya Deputy Inspector Shinjiro Umetsu greeted Ai at the front door of the safe house. “Welcome, Ai-san. I hope your trip was a safe one.”

In addition to Deputy Inspector Umetsu, the Nagano safe house had eight other people present for Ai Toguchi’s debriefing. Two two-person interrogation teams, three technicians who would see to the audio and video records of every word and movement Ai made, plus Gabrielle Tanaka. Gabrielle was there in an observer capacity only.

Before the debriefing began, Ai was asked if she needed anything. Ai requested a cup of coffee only. As soon as Agent Concierge was comfortable, the first team of interrogators began the questioning.

The first questions covered Ai’s background and employment record. These would be checked against official government documents, and notes from a meeting Ai had with her first police controller back in 2001.

Swan Song and the Nagoya police couldn’t discount the possibility of Ai Toguchi being a disinformation agent. That’s why the considerable gap between Ai’s communications with her police controllers was being questioned.

Ai appeared extra nervous as she fumbled along trying to come up with an explanation for her interrogators. Grant Williamson had suggested a polygraph examination be given to Ai Toguchi, but Japanese officials said no. They didn’t trust that particular technology.

Finally Ai spoke. “I was scared.”

“Weren’t you scared from the beginning?”

“Yes, but it was different?”

“How so?”

“I don’t know. It just was.”

Gabrielle was paying close attention to this part of the debriefing. A two-way mirror allowed the FBI agent to watch Ai Toguchi. Based on Agent Concierge’s body language, Gabrielle believed what the woman was saying, but at the same time thought that Ai was holding something back.

Ai Toguchi’s first team of interrogators consisted of a man and woman. Gabrielle began to wonder if Agent Concierge was uncomfortable discussing some topics because one of her questioners was male.

The next line of questioning concerned Ai’s motives for informing on Keiji Watanabe. Keiji was, after all, her husband.

“He’s an evil man.”

Cherry, who lay in a corner of the room throughout the debriefing began to whimper. The dog usually did this when wanting Ai’s attention. Ai took a few seconds to get Cherry before taking her seat again with the pet dog sitting in her lap.

The debriefing got back on track. “Why is he evil?”

“My husband is Yakuza.”

“Yes, of course,” The male interrogator said before taking a puff on his cigarette. “But you married him.”

Ai continued to be evasive in regards to why she had turned informant. Deputy Inspector Umetsu then called for a short break. Ai using this time to take Cherry out in the safehouse’s backyard so the dog could do its ‘personal business’.

Gabrielle went out in the backyard at the same time as Ai and Cherry. The FBI agent was in need of some fresh air but she also wanted to observe Ai away from her interrogators. As she watched Agent Concierge’s pet take a leak by raising its hind leg and spraying some discarded car tires, Gabrielle thought again of Tom Slater. How did it feel to be trapped in a body you have no control over?

A few minutes later, the debriefing began again. This time, the second team of interrogators(this time both were men) questioned Agent Concierge about any knowledge she had about the Watanabe Yakuza, with a particular emphasis on the recent activities of Hiromi Sato.

What Ai had to tell about the Watanabe Yakuza was little more than gossip. Keiji Watanabe was not in the habit of discussing family business with his former employee turned wife. Still, Ai did overhear some bits and pieces of information related to the Yakuza.

“I do not know where Hiromi-san and her husband are now,” Ai answered when asked of Hiromi Sato’s most recent whereabouts.

“We hear she got married. Is that true?” The interrogator asked.

“Yes, Hiromi-san’s marriage was last weekend. She left Japan the next day with Charles.”

‘So Tom left the country. How did she manage that without a record of it being made?’ Gabrielle thought to herself. Something continued to gnaw at Gabrielle in regards to Ai Toguchi’s debriefing.

The Nagoya policemen interrogating Ai Toguchi then switched their questioning to other figures in the Watanabe Yakuza. This was in case Agent Concierge was a double agent. If she was, too much questioning in regards to Hiromi Sato could tip off the Watanabes that another traitor was in their presence.

A few minutes before 7 p.m, the debriefing stopped for dinner so that food could be brought in from a local restaurant to feed all ten people at the safe house. With no dog food available, Ai shared some of her own food with Cherry. Before her debriefing restarted, Ai once again took her beloved pet out for a walk.

The debriefing was called to an end at 10pm. All those involved were exhausted by then. “Ai-san, thank you for your cooperation today.”

“I hope this puts my husband in jail.”

Deputy Inspector Umetsu had long since noted the hate Ai felt for Keiji Watanabe. If Concierge hated the man so much, why had she married him?

“If you don’t mind, we need to ask some more questions tomorrow. Are you available to help us?” The Deputy Inspector asked. Ai wasted no time in saying yes.

After Ai left the safe house, Gabrielle went to talk with Deputy Inspector Umetsu. “I’d like to take part in Concierge’s debriefing tomorrow.”

“Can I ask why?” Gabrielle supplied the policeman with an answer. Deputy Inspector Umetsu then took a minute to think. “Yes, we can do that.”

“I’d like it to be just me and Kaori-san. If that is all right with you.”

Kaori Sato was the one female interrogator. “Yes, Gabrielle-san, we can do that.”
 

~*~

 
When Gabrielle and Kaori sat down with Ai the next day, they began the session with small talk. They asked Ai about her children (she had a grown son and daughter) and how they were, about her sister and late husband. Gabrielle even asked about Cherry.

Kaori and Gabrielle even shared some details about themselves. Gabrielle told Ai she was American.

“Your Japanese is excellent.”

Gabrielle smiled for a moment. “I learned it from my obaasan on my mother’s side. Oba’s parents were born in Japan.”

All the questions and small talk were an effort to make Ai Toguchi comfortable. Gabrielle had briefed Deputy Inspector Umetsu about her intentions the previous evening. Agent Concierge’s body language had said that she was uncomfortable with some of the questions asked of her.

Gabrielle believed the root cause of Ai Toguchi’s discomfort was that her questioning being done by a man. She told this to Deputy Inspector Umetsu the night before, so she was able to convince the policeman only she and Kaori should do the Sunday debriefing.

“Ai-san, you were very brave to come forward.”

“If my husband learns where I been, I will die.”

“He won’t, Ai-san. Let us assure you of that,” Kaori said in reply.

“Ai, we would like to understand you better,” Gabrielle began saying. “You were in Keiji Watanabe’s employ for over twenty years before you married him.”

“Twenty-six years.”

“Yes, twenty-six years. Let me say, I think you know Keiji very well. Perhaps better than anyone else.”

“Maybe.”

“If you knew Keiji to be Yakuza, and an evil man, why did you marry him?”
 

~*~

 
In New Zealand, Chuck and Hiromi were boarding another private jet. Their next honeymoon stop would be Bangkok in Thailand.

“Bangkok is interesting,” Chuck told his wife as they buckled up in preparation for takeoff.

“I’ve never been there.”

“There are other places we can go to in Thailand also.”

Hiromi didn’t say anything further. Instead Hiromi began thinking of some unfinished business she had in Japan. How far along was Tomatsu Ichikawa in the assignment Hiromi had asked him to do? When Hiromi got to Bangkok, she planned on sending an email to Tomatsu.
 

~*~

 
On Saturday, Ai had been reluctant to answer personal questions, but not anymore. Maybe Gabrielle was right about Ai not feeling comfortable with a man in the room.

“Keiji violated me many times.”

“You mean he raped you?”

“Yes, he would force me to have sex with him” Ai then told of the things Keiji Watanabe did to her over the years.

Gabrielle believed what Ai was telling her and Kaori. No sane woman, and Ai Toguchi was in full possession of her mental faculties, would make up such a horror story. Keiji Watanabe wasn’t just Yakuza, but an animal also.

“Did you ever consider quitting? Calling the police?”

“How could I? If I did, Keiji may have killed me or attacked my family. He is a powerful man.”

‘Keiji Watanabe is certainly a powerful man. A warped one too.’ Gabrielle thought to herself. Did the retired Oyabun hold all females, family included, in the same low regard as he held Ai Toguchi? If he did, what did that portend for Tom Slater as Hiromi Sato?

“Yes, we know that,” Gabrielle replied. If Gabrielle had been in Ai’s shoes, she would have fought back in some fashion.

Thinking about it more deeply, Gabrielle began to see the trap Ai was in for so long. Had Ai quit, there was a good chance Keiji Watanabe would have retaliated in some fashion. For a monster like Keiji Watanabe, attacking or killing innocent children wouldn’t be out of the question. Gabrielle sensed that was the type of violence Ai feared. As a mother, she’d take any punishment to protect her offspring.

“Did your husband know any of this?”

Gabrielle noticed how Ai hung her head before answering. The woman was ashamed. “No, I never tell anyone before today.”

Kaori had a question. “When did your husband die?”

“In 2005. He collided with a truck when out driving in Yokohama.”

Gabrielle made a mental note to check out the circumstances behind Fusa Toguchi's death. Was it possible he died as a result of an accident arranged by Keiji Watanabe?

Cherry was whimpering again, so Ai took a moment out to fetch her pet. When Ai sat back down, Cherry was in her owner’s lap.

“You really like Cherry.”

“He’s like a child to me. My son and daughter are grown up now.”

Gabrielle smiled. Her paternal grandparents once had a daschund named Fritz as a pet. Fritz had been similarly loyal to his owners as Cherry seemed to be. “Yes, pets become like family. How old is Cherry?”

“Five,” Ai replied. Then her cellphone began to ring. “Excuse me.”

While Ai answered her cellphone call, Gabrielle took the time out to make a visit to the rest room. She was on her way back to the interrogation room, when Deputy Inspector Umetsu intercepted her.

“You believe what Concierge says about why she remained with Keiji Watanabe?”

“Why not? Her employer is certainly a dangerous man. Ai is still frightened of Keiji Watanabe, husband or not.”

Gabrielle was back in the room with Ai a few seconds later. “Who was the call from?”

“Ana. She is the hoodlum who protects me.”

Kaori spoke. “Ai-san says Ana was just calling to check if Ai needed anything.”

“Yes, Ana does that sometimes if I go on a trip by myself.”

Gabrielle excused herself, and left the room. Deputy Inspector Umetsu was waiting on the other side of the door. “We’ll have to end today’s session shortly.”

Nagano police had had the home of Mie Nayama under surveillance since Ai Toguchi left the house the previous day. After losing so many agents, The Swan Song committee and those assisting it, were being cautious with Agent Concierge.

Gabrielle went back to the debriefing. “Why did you marry Keiji Watanabe?”

“He asked me to.”

Kaori nor Gabrielle said anything as Ai paused. It looking like Agent Concierge had difficulty herself understanding why she married the man who so brutalized her.

“The last few years Keiji seemed to change. He was kinder to me. I thought he may have changed. No, he didn’t.”

Ai then described how her new husband roughed her up on their honeymoon. While Ai didn’t say this was the reason for her to turn informant again, Kaori and Gabrielle got the impression it was. Keiji Watanabe had finally gone too far, and Ai couldn’t take it any more.

The debriefing ended a few minutes later, and Ai was told that she would have one more session to do before leaving Nagano. Ai again expressed her fear of the Watanabes learning what she had gone to Nagano for.

“Ai-san, we will not put you at risk. We will be very careful.”

Before leaving, Ai took Cherry out to do his ‘personal business’. The daschund urinated on the used tires behind the safe house as he’d been doing all along. Cherry had made himself right at home.
 

~*~

 
‘What can I do for you, dear daughter?’ Fukushiro Nukuga asked himself as he stepped out to get some air. Fukushiro’s daughter Momoko was again sobbing uncontrollably, and the father had trouble dealing with that.

Seven days previous, Momoko had gotten the news of her husband’s death. The wife and mother immediately became distraught. A funeral for Tonichi had been held two days earlier. Some how, Momoko was able to keep her emotions in check that day.

That one day of peace had given Fukushiro the wrong impression that his daughter had accepted her husband’s death. But the next day Momoko’s tears and wailing had recommenced. Nothing Fukushiro said to Momoko had any effect.

Fukushiro was growing increasingly unnerved by his daughter’s emotional state. It had been Fukushiro’s hope that Momoko would grieve for her husband, but at the same time realize she had her own life, and a son. All humans die, including family members and other loved ones.

Their deaths leave wounds, but none a person can’t eventually overcome. Holding on to those who died after death only lengthens the healing process, or so Fukushiro believed.

Earlier Fukushiro tried saying this to Momoko in a indirect way. “Daughter, if Tonichi was here now, he would tell you to not forget him but remember and do this by taking care of you and Raizo.”

If Fukushiro thought what he said to Momoko would make his daughter ‘get on with life,’ he was badly mistaken. Momoko just wailed louder than ever as she clutched some beads in one hand.

That was something else Fukushiro had trouble understanding. His daughter’s adoption of Christianity. Was holding some beads at the same time repetitively saying some prayer supposed to make Tonichi Ogawa come back to life?

Finally Fukushiro became overwhelmed by Momoko’s crying and stepped out of his house. As he smoked a cigarette and looked at the surrounding neighborhood, Fukushiro began a deep probing process of himself.

What could Fukushiro do to help Momoko overcome her grief?
 

~*~

 
After three days in Bangkok, Hiromi was growing tired of the Thai capitol. The city just wasn’t that appealing to the Yakuza accountant.

While eating breakfast with Chuck on June 12th, Hiromi told her husband how she felt, “I like us to go somewhere else.”

Chuck put down his napkin and thought for a few moments. “We could go to Ko Samui if you want?”

Before going to Bangkok, Chuck and Hiromi had discussed the possibility of visiting the small Thai resort island “Yes, let’s go there.”

Chuck and Hiromi arrived on Ko Samui in the late afternoon. After collecting their luggage, the newlyweds hired some transportation to take them to the Briza Beach Resort and Spa along Chalweng Beach.

“Have you been here before?” Hiromi asked during the ride from the airport to Briza.

“Yes, back in 2003. There is a lot we can do here besides the beach, snorkeling, golf, mountain biking....”

“I would like us to do those things.”

The Briza was expecting Chuck and Hiromi. After check-in was completed, the newlyweds were shown to their very own private beachside villa.

It didn’t take long for Hiromi to pass judgment on the villa she and Chuck planned to share for the next six nights. Each of Briza’s villas had two-bedrooms and two-baths, had their own dining areas, plus a large sitting area. “I like it.”

“We were very fortunate to get a reservation,” Chuck explained to Hiromi. “What do you want to do next? It is still a bit early for dinner.”

Hiromi then walked over to Chuck. Reaching upward, Hiromi wrapped her arms around Chuck’s neck. “I’d like to take you for a ride.”
 

~*~

 
Three days after her first debriefing was finished, Ai Toguchi had another meeting with the Nagoya police and Gabrielle Tanaka. It didn’t take long for interrogators to notice Ai was more nervous than she was at the first meeting.

“Thank you for coming, Ai-san. Has any Watanabe been in contact since we last spoke?” Deputy Inspector Umetsu asked.

“No, they haven’t. I was caring for my sister.”

A background check had been done on Mie Nayama. The woman suffered from various ailments, most of them arising from the woman’s alcoholism. Visits to Nagoya by her sister Ai often came after a drinking binge by Mie.

Gabrielle also had Inspector Yoshida inquired about the auto accident that had killed Fusa Toguchi. What the two Swan members learned raised an eyebrow or two. Fusa Toguchi’s car had collided with a truck owned and operated by Watanabe Trucking. Was it coincidence or not?

Inspector Yoshida spoke to the accident investigator who worked the fatal crash. His name was Mikoto Nioka. When asked about the accident, Mikoto instantly became defensive. Inspector Yoshida soon stopped his inquiry

“You made the right choice, Inspector,” Gabrielle said when told of Mikoto Nioka’s reaction.

Inspector Yoshida came away disturbed by his experience with Mikoto Nioka. Was Nioka on the Watanabe payroll and had he covered up the Toguchi accident and possibly others? Inspector Yoshida would have to speak to his superiors about the accident investigator, but put it on hold. If Mikoto Nioka came under suspicion, Agent Concierge could be placed in danger.

Gabrielle agreed with Inspector Yoshida’s decision. The circumstances behind Fusa Toguchi’s death were unimportant, but did help shed light on what could be motivating Ai Toguchi.

The first part of the second meeting with Ai Toguchi was spent by having her answer some more questions stemming from her first debriefing. Deputy Inspector Umetsu, Gabrielle Tanaka, and the four Nagoya police interrogators had just spent a considerable amount of time studying Agent Concierge’s answers from three days ago.

After the questions were asked and answered, the meeting turned to how Ai Toguchi would make contact with the Swan Song committee in the future. Too many visits to the same coffee shop or to the podiatrist, the methods now used by Swan Song and Agent Ripley to contact one another, could be risky.

“Do you have a computer or access to one?”

“Yes. I email my children and grandchildren at least once a week.”

“We’d like you to email us certain things,” The male interrogator said to Ai Toguchi. “For your safety an email account has been set up at the same university your son teaches at.”

“I don’t know....,” Ai said as she began to get fidgety. It looking like Agent Concierge was having second thoughts about being an informant.

“This is very safe. Let me tell you how this will be done.”

Ai was given both verbal and written instructions on how she would contact and be contacted by her controllers. They were pretty simple, and Agent Concierge had just a couple of clarifying questions. The written instructions were to be destroyed before Ai returned to Yokohama.

Gabrielle Tanaka then came into the interrogation room. It was time to discuss what Agent Concierge could do to assist Operation Firecracker.

“Hiromi-san is married now. I don’t know her daily activities. She works for Goro-san in some kind of financial capacity.”

“Yes, we know that. She does come out to visit her grandfather sometimes?”

Ai nodded her head. “Yes, but I only learn this a day or two before hand.”

‘That’s all Major Hollins and his men need,’ Gabrielle thought to herself. “Can you help us?”

Ai hesitated again, fear overriding her wish for revenge. Ai wanted to retaliate against Keiji Watanabe in some way. Did assisting in an attack on his granddaughter make Ai no better than the man she hated?

“I will help,” Ai answered back weakly. It was a very tentative decision, Ai might still back out of what was being asked of her.

What Swan Song needed first was not just notification of when Hiromi next visited her grandfather. A innocent message sent to a email address already discussed would let Agent Ripley do the first task that was assigned to her.

The second task for Ai was trickier and more dangerous. Gabrielle had come up with an ingenious way for Concierge to what was being asked of her back on Sunday. It lessened the risk to Ai Toguchi, but didn’t eliminate it entirely.

“When Hiromi-san is visiting, there are many bodyguards. They will be watching.”

Gabrielle hoped none of this would be necessary. Operation Firecracker might be called off, maybe because it was deemed too risky, Japanese officials didn’t approve it, or even better that Tom Slater re-emerged. The last seemed unlikely in light of Operation Hornblower’s failure, but there was nothing wrong with Gabrielle praying for a miracle.

“If you do it in the way we suggest, no suspicion should be brought on yourself.”

“How about afterwards?”

Gabrielle had to admit Ai Toguchi had just asked a difficult question to answer. “After we have Hiromi in custody, other arrests will follow soon after. Keiji Watanabe would be one of the first.

“My husband should die in jail one day.”

The second meeting with Ai Toguchi ended not long afterwards. Ai would be staying in Nagano for at least a few more days. Gabrielle would return to Yokohama the next day.

As everyone gathered their things, Deputy Inspector Umetsu had a question for Gabrielle. “Do you think Concierge will do what we ask of her?

“Umetsu-san, I honestly don’t know.”
 

~*~

 
Midori Slater was sipping an early morning cup of tea when she noticed her husband enter the kitchen. “Stuart, are you all right?”

“Yes, I am,” Stuart Slater replied, as he slowly made his way to a kitchen chair across from his wife. Midori got up to assist her husband, but Stuart waved her off.

“Can I get you something?” Midori asked.

“Coffee and some toast please,” Stuart replied. He was wearing a gown brought home from the hospital. Stuart found these clothes more comfortable to sleep in than his usual pajamas.

Midori had a cup of coffee for her husband less than a minute later. “How are you feeling?”

“A little better.”

Stuart and Midori Slater were presently staying at the home of their daughter Deborah. Nine days earlier, Stuart was discharged from the hospital only six days after having his heart valve replaced. So far Stuart’s recovery was progressing slowly but without complications.

Stuart had already drank one fourth of his coffee when Midori gave him the toast he requested in addition to his morning medicine. “Will we walk this morning?”

“Yes, of course,” Stuart said as he took a time out from eating his breakfast to take his medicine. The retired Army Sergeant Major used to pride himself on the fact he needed no daily medications as he approached age seventy. Now Stuart was taking ten pills daily. “We will go out after I’m done eating.”

“Shannon is still asleep. A few minutes ago I checked on him.”

“Are Deborah and Don still asleep?”

Midori nodded her head. She, Stuart, and Shannon were staying at the home Deborah Slater shared with her boyfriend, Donald Mason. It was a few minutes after seven in the morning. Don and Deborah liked to sleep in late on weekends, and were unlikely to get up before eight.

“I can walk on my own,” Stuart said after putting down his coffee cup. “You can stay here in case Shannon wakes.”

“No, Stuart, I can’t do that.”

As luck would have it, Deborah Slater woke up about ten minutes later. Stuart was able to go on his morning walk with Midori accompanying him.

Stuart had been gradually increasing his walks since coming home from the hospital. By the retired Army Sergeant’s present calculation, he was up to three eighths to a half mile walk three times a day. Still recovering from his recent surgery, Stuart usually had to make one or two brief stops to catch his breath while out doing his exercise.

“How’s Tom?” Stuart asked Midori only seconds after the couple left their daughter’s home.

“Gabrielle says he is in trouble,” Midori told her husband. Since Mother’s Day, Midori had avoided telling her husband of what had happened to their son Tom. Now the mother and wife would have to come clean.

Stuart listened carefully as his wife told him the short story of what happened. “He didn’t recognize Gabrielle at all?”

“No, Stuart, Tom didn’t.”

“When did you last hear from Gabrielle?”

“She emailed me on Wednesday. There is no change.”

“We need to go to Japan. Tom will recognize us.”

Midori shook her head. “No, Stuart, you aren’t ready yet for long trip.”

“Tom needs our help. We may be the only ones he will recognize.”

“Stuart, you must see the doctor on Tuesday.”

“I know,” Stuart replied. He had a followup appointment with the surgeon in three days. “When he sees me, I will ask about us traveling to Japan.”

Midori loved Stuart, at the same time knew her husband was hard-headed. “We will do what the doctor says.”

“I’d like to talk to Gabrielle. Do you know when she will call next?

“No. Gabrielle just says that she will stay in touch.

“I think it is time we go back to Darrington.”

After learning her father was need of heart surgery, Deborah Slater had issued her parents an invitation for Stuart to come stay at Deborah’s house after being released from the hospital. Stuart and Midori’s youngest child wanted to help with her father’s recovery from open heart surgery..

Midori and Stuart accepted the invite. Tigard Oregon was much closer to Salem (Where Stuart had his open heart surgery) than Darrington Washington was. Plus, Stuart had at least one followup appointment to go to.

The presence of his girlfriend’s parents, even for a short time, seemed only to irritate Donald Mason. Two nights earlier, Donald and Deborah had fought before going to bed. Midori, still awake at the time, overheard parts of the heated conversation. Donald had said to Deborah at one point that his girlfriend would have to choose between him and her parents.

Midori knew Deborah as thoroughly as she knew Tom, and she had known for some time that Donald and Deborah’s relationship was straining at the seams. Deborah’s parents coming to stay for an extended visit only made matters worse.

“Stuart, I don’t think you are ready yet for home. Plus, it is five hour drive to Darrington from doctor.”

“Hogwash. I’ll make it,” Stuart said as he wrapped an arm around Midori. Like his wife, Stuart knew what was happening between Deborah and Donald. The retired Army Sergeant Major saw that it was time for he, Midori, and Shannon to leave for Darrington Washington.

Stuart Slater wanted to preserve as much as possible of the dwindling family he and his wife had left. This could be best accomplished by going back to Washington. With her parents and nephew gone, Deborah Slater could better see to Donald and the relationship they had together. It was Stuart’s hope that Donald and Deborah could work out their present differences.

“We’ll see, Stuart.”
 

~*~

 
A little under five thousand miles away from Oregon, Goro Watanabe was at Yokohama Stadium to cheer the Baystars on as they faced off against the Hanshin Giants. The rain-delayed game was currently between the fifth and sixth innings and the score was tied at one apiece.

On that particular evening, no one was watching the game with Goro. His wife Keiko seldom came to the park, preferring a night at the theater or a café, or even just staying home to watch television rather than view some sports event with her husband. The days when Goro’s children attended games with him were a thing of the past. Both his son and daughter preferred time with their friends to watching a baseball game.

That didn’t mean Goro was alone that Saturday night. There was a group of bodyguards around the Oyabun of the Watanabe Yakuza. Perhaps out of a false sense of security, Goro never allowed more than three security people inside the box with him at any time and only if someone was watching the game with him. Otherwise, only two bodyguards were inside the box, the rest taking up positions outside.

Goro’s custom was to get a mid game snack sometime during the fifth or sixth innings, hand-delivered by one of two concessionaires employed by the stadium. Bringing Goro his snack was a privilege most of the workers at Yokohama Stadium would love to have. The Oyabun was known to be a generous tipper.

That particular evening, Doho Taneda had the privilege of bringing Goro Watanabe his snack. Doho arrived in the private box just moments after the first pitch of the sixth inning was thrown. Before being allowed in the box, Doho was frisked on three separate occasions by a different member of Goro’s protection detail. In addition a wand was used to run over Doho Taneda’s body to make sure he had no explosives on him.

Goro was too focused on the baseball game to pay much attention to Doho. The Oyabun told him to place the snack where he usually did.

As was Doho’s custom when in Goro Watanabe’s box, he’d collect any used and no longer needed glasses, plates, etc. That Saturday night was no different. While doing this, a used napkin slipped to the floor.

Doho squatted down to recover the napkin. As he did, his right hand reached underneath the counter.

A Hanshin Giant player had just beat out a bunt single on a very close call, one that brought the Yokohama manager out to argue with the first base umpire.

“That was a bad call,” Goro said as he continued to focus on the ball game rather than the goings on in his box. Doho Taneda, having recovered the napkin with his left hand, was just getting back to his feet less than two feet away from Goro’s side.

“I’m so sorry,” were the last words ever spoken by Doho Taneda.
 

~*~

 
Gabrielle was just beginning to reach out with her left arm in order to turn out her bedside light, when the phone next to the lamp began to ring. Only a very slight change of direction was required by Gabrielle’s left hand to pick up the receiver.

“Hello.”

“Good evening, Gabrielle-san,” Said the familiar voice of Inspector Yoshida. “I apologize for calling you so late.”

“That is quite all right, Inspector. Why are you calling?” Gabrielle asked. She then listened quietly for about a half minute before speaking. “Yes, Inspector, I would like to see that.”

“I’ll have a car outside your apartment house in thirty minutes.”

“Thank you, Inspector. I’ll be ready by then.”

Gabrielle had seen a few murder scenes during her five years working for the FBI, but none as gruesome as the one at Yokohama Stadium. Blood seemed to be covering everywhere in Goro Watanabe’s private box, except for the ceiling.

As she entered the box, Gabrielle got a good look at the body of Goro Watanabe. It was still seated in the chair Goro used while watching the games. The slumped-over body of the Oyabun still faced towards the ballfield.

“Excuse me,” A photographer said to Gabrielle. The FBI agent immediately stepped to one side so the man could continue with his work. In addition to the photographer, there were two crime scene technicians plus a representative of the local coroner’s office working in the box.

“The killer stuck the murder weapon almost directly into Goro Watanabe’s carotid artery.”

Gabrielle nodded her head. The severing of Goro Watanabe’s carotid artery, plus the gunning down of his killer, accounted for the blood splattered all over the private box at Yokohama Stadium. “What do we know about the killer?”

“His name was Doho Taneda, age thirty-five. He had just began working at the Stadium this year.”

As Inspector Yoshida filled her in, Gabrielle did a discreet examination of the crime scene. The first thing that came to her mind was -- How did Doho Taneda get a knife into the Goro Watanabe’s box without it being discovered?

“The Oyabun’s bodyguards gunned down Doho Taneda right after the stabbing,” Inspector Yoshida explained.

Gabrielle had already noted the body of Doho Taneda, a blood-soaked sheet covering the concessionaire’s body.

“The bodyguards, where are they now?”

“They were taken to the station for questioning. Charges may be filed.”

Gabrielle nodded her head as she continued to examine Goro Watanabe’s private box. Sometimes Gabrielle would squat in order to check some furniture or table surface.

If Gabrielle had been one of Goro Watanabe’s bodyguards now, she would only be too happy to be in police custody. The guards that were on duty that particular night were probably in for a bonus if the Watanabe Yakuza ever got their hands on them. A bonus of the fatal lead variety, or something more painful.

While squatting to examine the ledge where Goro Watanabe’s snack tray was placed, Gabrielle got an answer to a question she was asking herself moments earlier. “Inspector, did anyone see this?”

What Gabrielle had discovered was a small sleeve taped underneath the ledge. “Yes, Gabrielle-san, that is where we believe the murder weapon was hidden.”

“Did Taneda have access to the box when not working as a concessionaire?” Gabrielle asked as she rose to her feet.

“No, he did not.”

Gabrielle nodded her head. A ballpark concessionaire would have little motive to kill the head of an organized crime family. Doho Taneda had been hired to kill Goro Watanabe by someone with either access to the box, or had another person in their employ who id. Who of the many people carrying a grudge against Goro Watanabe was responsible for his murder?

How would this latest twist to Operation Swan Song affect Tom Slater? Gabrielle couldn’t help asking herself that question. Was her friend a potential target too? Or was Hiromi Sato the one responsible for that night’s events?
 

~*~

 
As weddings go, the one that took place on Ko Samui was like nothing either Chuck or Hiromi had ever seen. The Thailand-born bride rode to the ceremony on a elephant, but not before a group of drag queens first put on a small show for the wedding guests. It was quite a sight.

The American best man explained everything to Chuck at the reception afterwards. “The promoter who charged me $200 for the use of the elephant, said he would throw in the drag queens for another $75. After thinking about it, I took him up on the offer. It was a great deal, so why not get the full package?”

Chuck laughed. “Why not?”

The usually business-like Hiromi appeared to enjoy the wedding and reception also. Then, around 7pm, Hiromi’s mood turned to annoyed or even angry. When Chuck discovered the reason for his wife’s mood change, the Australian couldn’t help but feel the same emotions.

Hiromi and Chuck headed back to their hotel when the reception was over. It was only at this time that Hiromi got to address what was making her so angry that night.

“I’m on my honeymoon. Go away!” Hiromi said to her bodyguard Roger Hyde. Till now Hiromi and Chuck had been able to do their honeymoon in privacy. That had changed, for now Hiromi had at least a six-member protection team.

“We can’t do that, boss.”

“Why not? I’m your boss. Leave me now!”

“We were sent by Tiger-san,” Roger explained as he followed Hiromi and Chuck who continued heading towards the Briza Beach Resort and Spa. Briza was only a mile from where the wedding had taken place.

“I don’t care.”

Hiromi had just taken a key out to open the villa door, when Roger told his boss the reason he was there. “Goro-san was assassinated last night.”

There was no further discussion till Hiromi and Chuck were inside the villa with Roger. Hiromi appeared shook up from the news about her cousin Goro. Once they were in the room, Chuck went straight over to the mini fridge.

“Want anything, Kimi-chan?”

“No, I’m fine,” Hiromi replied. While Chuck helped himself to a beer, Hiromi turned towards Roger. “What happened?”

“A concessionaire stuck a knife in Goro’s neck while he was watching a ballgame” Roger told his boss. The bodyguard would spare Hiromi the gorier details, unless she wanted to know them.

By now, Chuck was seated next to his wife, holding Hiromi’s hand but at the same time wondering how Goro Watanabe’s murder would affect their future. Was Hiromi in danger now? The arrival of Roger and bodyguards was a definite sign that Keiji Watanabe was concerned for his granddaughter’s safety.

Hiromi wasn’t saying anything. Roger then took a small envelope out of his shirt pocket. “Boss, I was asked by your Grandfather to give you this.”

Hiromi immediately opened the envelope and began reading the handwritten note from her Grandfather. When she was finished, Hiromi handed the note to Chuck.

“Yes, we’re coming home.”
 

~*~

 
At the same time Roger and Hiromi were discussing the return trip to Japan, an emergency Swan Song meeting was taking place. Except for Dr. Wagner, all the committee members were in attendance.

“Do we know yet who the killer was working for?”

“Not at this time,” Gabrielle replied. “Nothing about Taneda’s background stands out. He had no obvious Yakuza connections.”

Inspector Yoshida spoke next. “We have begun an investigation of the man’s finances, but it is still early.”

“The list of people who would want Goro Watanabe dead must be very long,” Major Hollins observed. Nobody present mentioned that the entire Swan Committee would have been included on that list.

Now what was the committee to do? From the onset, bringing Goro Watanabe to justice was Operation Swan Song’s main objective. With Goro dead, would the operation be cancelled?

Gabrielle decided to ask in a indirect fashion. “Will Goro Watanabe’s death alter Swan Song’s objective in any way?”

Inspector Yoshida spoke up. “The South Koreans are still eager to apprehend the persons responsible for the Judge Song murder.”

Senior Detective Kim Ki-Jong of the Seoul police was a full member of the Swan Song committee, but a irregular attendee of meetings. The South Koreans relied on weekly progress reports to keep them informed.

“Are we certain the Watanabes are behind the Judge Song killing?” Major Hollins asked.

Gabrielle spoke again. “Yes, Major. Agent Ripley informed me at our Hong Kong meeting that she was trying to trace the money trail.”

While a short debate between the other Swan Song committee members was taking place, Grant Williamson was busy mulling the Operation’s future. More importantly to Grant, would Goro Watanabe’s assassination affect the upward track of his career?

It really shouldn’t, was Grant’s quick conclusion. Even if Swan Song was abandoned, the operation could still be deemed partly successful, since there was one less Japanese mobster to worry about.

Grant Williamson’s thought processes were interrupted by Inspector Yoshida declaration that he had some important news. “We just been notified that Agent Ripley arrived back in Japan this afternoon.”

“We will be notified in the future if Ripley leaves Japan, won’t we, Inspector?” Major Hollins said with more than a hint of disdain.

Inspector Yoshida didn’t hide his annoyance well. He was an efficient member of law enforcement. That Japanese Immigration failed to do their job wasn’t his fault. “As I told the committee previously, measures have been taken to make sure we are informed if Ripley departs the country again.”

“If your Interior Ministry would finally get around to approving Operation Firecracker, Agent Ripley won’t be leaving Japan again except on a military flight back to the United States,” Major Hollins said acidly.

Grant Williamson butted in then. “Inspector, please speak to the proper people in the Interior ministry. Tell them we will need to know soon if Operation Firecracker will be approved or not.”

“I’ll check on Firecracker’s status first thing tomorrow.”

“Pending approval, and knowledge of Ripley’s whereabouts, how much time would be needed to implement Operation Firecracker?”

“I can have all my people and equipment ready in under 48 hours,” Major Hollins said confidently.

“Are you and the other Firecracker personnel still training for the Operation?” Gabrielle Tanaka asked.

“Six days a week, Agent Tanaka.”

“Do you mind if I come by to watch one day?”

“Not at all, Agent Tanaka. Feel free to visit us at Suzuka any time.”
 

~*~

 
Goro Watanabe’s funeral was held the next day. It was a simple affair, if you set aside the fact that over 1,000 people were in attendance.

In the aftermath of his nephew’s death, Keiji Watanabe stepped in as Oyabun of the Watanabe Yakuza. No one saw this as anything more than a temporary measure. A new and permanent Oyabun would take over the Watanabe Yakuza within a few years, if not sooner.

Goro’s death caused little change to Hiromi’s routines. She met with her Grandfather every evening to discuss family business and Keiji was now living full-time at the Negishi Bay apartments. Security was extra tight since Goro’s assassination. Hiromi traveled around Yokohama now with at least one extra car of bodyguards.

With her cousin Goro out of the way, Hiromi saw her ascent to Oyabun as a foregone conclusion. Hiromi was careful to mask her ambition, at the same time being patient.

It was the Friday after Hiromi’s return to Yokohama, and it had been a particularly long day for the Watanabe Yakuza Saiko-komon. Hiromi didn’t settle in at her apartment till past 9pm.

“How are you feeling, Kimi-chan?” Chuck asked Hiromi after the newlyweds shared a kiss.

“Exhausted.”

“Do you have to work tomorrow?”

“Yes, for at least a few hours. I’m going to take a shower now.”

“Mind if I join you?”

“No, not at all.”

Chuck and Hiromi were in the shower together less than ten minutes later. The couple took turns washing the other’s back. It was as Hiromi was washing herself that she dropped the bar of soap.

“I’ll get that for you, my little sports car,” Chuck said before bending down to retrieve the soap.

While she waited for Chuck to get the soap, Hiromi began wetting her hair in preparation to shampoo it. Hiromi always preferred to shampoo her hair last. For some unknown reason Chuck was taking an inordinate amount of time to get the soap. “Did my soap bar fly all the way to Kushiro?”

“Here it is.” Chuck handed Hiromi her soap.

“Thank you.”

“Kimi-chan, which Achilles tendon did you tear, the one in your right leg or the left?”

“The left. Why?”

“Just asking. It don’t bother you any more, does it?”

“No, I haven’t had any pain down there in a long time.”

“That’s good.”

Hiromi exited the shower a few minutes later, leaving her husband to finish bathing alone. As he watched his wife leave him, Chuck contemplated something he had noticed moments earlier.

Why was there no longer a small but noticeable scar on his wife’s left ankle?
 

~*~

 
Fukushiro Nukaga had to call in many favors he had acquired over the years he held political office, but when all was said and done, the former Japanese Defense Minister got what he was seeking, a private meeting with Japan’s Prime Minister, Yasuo Fakuda.

The Japanese PM’s official office, or Kantei, is located in Chiyoda Japan directly opposite from the National Diet Building. To get there, Fukushiro Nukaga rode in a chauffeured limousine from his Tokyo area home.

Before being shown to the fifth floor where PM Fakuda had his private office, Fukushiro Nukuga had to pass through several layers of security. Then, once he was in the working area of the Prime Minister of Japan, he was told to take a seat. The Prime Minister would be seeing him shortly.

Shortly proved to be less than ten minutes. A senior aide led Fukushiro Nukaga into the room Japan’s Prime Minister uses for informal meetings. There Fukushiro found Yasuo Fakuda seated and waiting for his former colleague.

Fukushiro bowed in greeting towards the PM. All Yasuo did in reply was wave his hand to tell Fukushiro to take a seat.

“It has been a long time, Fukushiro-san.” Yasuo said to the former Defense Minister who was seated directly to his right.

“Yes it has, Prime Minister. Thank you for seeing me today.”

The meeting started off with political small talk. An attendant came in moments later with tea for Fukushiro and Yasuo. It was after they were alone again, that Yasuo asked why Fukushiro asked for this meeting.

“Prime Minister, you may have read what happened to Tonichi Ogawa.”

Yasuo nodded in reply. He had just returned from abroad, but while gone had been kept informed of news in Japan. The funeral of Tonichi Ogawa had been reported on the front page of three Japanese newspapers.

Also Yasuo knew through his chief of staff, exactly why Fukashiro Nukaga wanted to see him that day. The Japanese Prime Minister was a busy man, he did not meet people without a reason. Not even if they were former Japanese Cabinet Ministers.

“Tonichi was my only daughter’s husband. He was also father of my grandson, Raizo.”

“I’m so sorry for your family’s loss.”

“Thank you.”

“How may I help you, Fukushiro-san?”

“As you know, my son-in-law was brutally murdered. So much so, the coffin had to remain closed. My daughter was unable to see her husband one last time.”

Yasuo nodded his head. He too had a daughter. If his son-in-law died like Tonichi Ogawa did, the grief experience would much be the same.

“I’ve spoken to officials with the Nagoya police. Tonichi was working an undercover assignment against the Yakuza. They are the scum who killed him.”

Japan’s prime minister said nothing. He already knew where Fukashiro Nukaga was going with their conversation.

“My daughter lost her husband and my grandson his father. What I’m asking is for them, not for myself.”

“And what are you asking for them, Fukushiro-san?”

“Justice. That whoever killed my son-in-law will pay for the crime they committed against my family.”

When he left the Kantei less than an hour later, Fukashiro Nukaga had the Prime Minister’s solemn promise. That the person or persons responsible for Tonichi Ogawa’s murder would be punished in the harshest way possible.
 

~*~

 
Gabrielle called the Slaters on Sunday June 22nd. The first thing Gabrielle did was give Mrs. Slater an update on Tom. There was little new to tell.

“Keep trying, Gabrielle, I have faith in you,” Midori Slater said from her Darrington Washington home.

“How’s Shannon and Dad?”

Midori first told Gabrielle about her grandson. Shannon had just recovered from another ear infection. While her grandson was sick, Midori had gotten little rest.

“Mom, don’t forget to take care of yourself.”

“I will. Stuart continues to get better. If I forgot to hide the axe, he may be out chopping wood now.”

Gabrielle laughed if only for a second. “Tell Dad not to overdo things. He still needs to heal from the operation.”

“I will. Gabrielle, Stuart wants to speak to you. Do you have time?”

“Of course Mom. Put Dad on the phone.”

Stuart Slater was on the phone about a minute later. “Hello Gabrielle.”

“Hello Dad, how are you feeling?”

“Much better, Gabrielle can you please tell me what happened to Tom?”

It took Gabrielle over fifteen minutes to tell Stuart what had happened to his son. Stuart occasionally asking a question of Gabrielle.

“He’s alive?”

“Yes Dad, Tom is.”

“What can we do?”

Gabrielle thought for a few seconds. “Some of us are working on a plan to get Tom back. I can’t say more.”

Stuart understood. “Gabrielle if you need our help...”

“Dad, I will call you and Mom at once. That is a promise.”

“Would it be of any help if we came to Japan now?” Stuart Slater’s cardiologist had advised against his patient making a long distance trip at this time. Stuart was ready to disobey this instruction if his son Tom’s life was at stake.

“No, Dad, it is still too early.”

Stuart spoke to Gabrielle for a little bit longer, then gave the phone to his wife. Tom Slater’s father then waited for his wife to end the phone call.

“Tom is in a heap of trouble,” Stuart said to Midori after she hung up the phone.

“Gabrielle seems to think Tom can be helped.”

“We will help too.”

Stuart and Midori were seated in the kitchen area. Midori took her husband’s hand. “I just want Tom to recognize us again. He will always be our child, no matter what. Stuart do you agree? ”

“Of course.”
 

~*~

 
Ai Toguchi returned to the Negishi Bay apartment shortly before 10pm. Besides one carry-on bag, Ai had her dog Cherry with her.

On entering Ai noticed how dark the apartment was. Keiji Watanabe tended not to open any drapes when in residence, but tonight was different. The whole place was almost pitch dark.

Ai put Cherry down on the floor before turning on a light. Then Ai made her way further into the apartment, turning a light on here and there. Was Keiji Watanabe even home?

Keiji was. Dressed in a kimono, Keiji was seated in the living room area. “Where have you been?”

Ai didn’t like the tone of Keiji’s voice. He seemed angry. “At my sister’s in Nagano.” Ai had come home for Goro Watanabe’s funeral, but returned to Nagano the day after.

Keiji rose from the couch and began walking towards his wife. “You are my wife now.”

“Yes, I am your wife,” Ai replied. Keiji Watanabe was only a foot away from her now.

Without warning, Keiji slapped his wife’s face with back of his right hand. Ai cried out in pain before taking her face in one hand.

“Then don’t forget it. Now go to the bedroom.”

Ai did as she was told, she not wanting to feel Keiji’s wrath again. On entering the bedroom, Ai put her suitcase in one corner and then began to undress. Before she could finish, Keiji Watanabe was upon her.

Keiji shoved Ai face first into the bed they shared. Before she knew it, Keiji was on top of Ai. Rolling his wife over. Ai tried to struggle, she knowing her husband wanted to have sex with her. Humiliated and in pain, Ai wanted no part of pleasing Keiji Watanabe. Unfortunately for Agent Concierge, the elderly Yakuza was stronger than his wife. Seeing his wife resist his advances, Keiji slapped Ai again.

Using his hands, Keiji pried his wife’s legs open. When this was accomplished, Keiji penetrated his wife with his penis. By this time Ai had lost the battle and just lay passively as her husband got his way. No amount of screaming would bring Ai help. She had been defeated again by Keiji Watanabe.

When finished, Keiji slid off the top of his wife. Keiji sat on the edge of the bed for a few moments before standing up.

Ai looked up at Keiji, hatred coursing throughout her body. This was the last time Ai would do what her controllers asked. She would not again submit to this monster. She’d fight back, and forget the risks. Ai preferred death to the treatment she received that night.

Keiji then spoke. “You are my wife. Never will you leave me again.”

The next morning Ai was given an ultimatum. She was to give Cherry away or Keiji would. As a meager sign of his beneficence, Keiji gave Ai a month to find Cherry a new home.
 

~*~

 
Gabrielle finally found time to visit Major Hollins and his men at Suzuka. The Operation Firecracker personnel were indeed training very hard.

“Would you like to see the Firecracker plans we’ve drawn up? Major Hollins asked Gabrielle over breakfast.

“Plans?”

“Yes, plans. We drew up a Firecracker A and a Firecracker B plan.”

“Yes, Major, I’d like to see them both.”

Gabrielle spent most of her first day at Suzuka scrutinizing the Firecracker plans. The first of which was set to take place in Yokohama. Swan Song personnel would try to corner Hiromi Sato as she drove home late one night.

The second Firecracker plan involved catching Agent Ripley as she returned to Yokohama from a visit to Keiji Watanabe’s home. For this plan to work, Agent Concierge would have to supply Swan Song with vital intelligence about Hiromi Sato.

There were drawbacks to both plans. Hiromi deemed Plan A the safer of the two, so far as Tom Slater goes. The Operation resembled something out of the movie, ‘Clear and Present Danger’, but without the bazookas and other heavy weaponry.

The plan’s drawback, was the time frame. Japanese officials were unlikely to approve the operation for any time but very late at night. The Swan Song committee also knowing Hiromi Sato did not work late (past 10pm) very often.

Plan B wasn’t as tightly confined as Plan A. It would probably take place in daylight, with civilians in the operational area. The unknowns this presented meant the personal risk to Tom Slater would be greater in Plan B.

“Have you trained for Plan A as of yet?” Gabrielle asked Major Hollins once she was through studying both Operation Firecracker plans.

“As a matter of fact we did, back on June 10th, 11th, and 12th. The Yokohama police gave us permission and we had a six-block area cordoned off.”

“Will you be rehearsing again?” Gabrielle asked. She had been in Nagano at the time Firecracker Plan A was first being trained for.

“I’ve put in a request to the Yokohama police but have heard nothing back.”

Gabrielle spent the rest of the day observing the Firecracker team. Major Hollins had assembled a professional group of men, but Gabrielle thought something was missing.

“Can I come back tomorrow?” Gabrielle asked at the end of the day.

“Of course Agent Tanaka. You are always welcome,” Major Hollins replied.

A good night’s sleep gave Gabrielle the answer as to what was missing in the Operation Firecracker preparations. Gabrielle delayed saying anything till she watched two more dry runs. These only confirmed the FBI agent’s original evaluation.

“Major, can I make a request?”

“Of course, Agent Tanaka.”

“Let me play the role of Agent Ripley in the next dry run.”

“Can I ask why?”

“Major I can tell you and your men are training hard. I see one fault in your plan.”

“What is that?” Major Hollins asked as he gave Gabrielle a hard disbelieving look.

“None of you have been with Ripley in a automobile. I have.”

“That shouldn’t make any difference.”

“I disagree Major. If anyone with Swan Song knows Ripley best, it’s me.”

Major Hollins gave his answer right away. “Sorry Gabrielle, I can’t allow you to take part in the rehearsals.”

“Can I ask why?”

“It’s too dangerous. Sorry.”

Gabrielle inwardly shook her head. The Army Major was at best a male chauvinistic asshole. At worst, a total incompetent.

“You may still stay here and continue to watch us if you. Do you have any other suggestions?”

“No, Major I don’t.” Gabrielle fought hard to contain the fury she felt. The Major and his men needed a wakeup call. It was Gabrielle’s rock hard opinion that these men weren’t putting themselves in Hiromi Sato’s shoes by trying to think like her.

Gabrielle returned to Yokohama the next day. Major Hollins and his merry men continuing with their Operation Firecracker training.
 

~*~

 
Dr. Wagner was in her University of Virginia office studying the results of the latest DNA formula study. After much persuasion, The Double Helix project agreed to fund one more attempt at improving the formula created by Dr. Wagner.

Having learned the reason why some transformed men didn’t revert back to their original gender, Dr. Wagner and her scientists again tweaked the DNA formula Then twenty-five DNA donors with the same genetic patterns as patient 99 had to be found.

Getting the DNA donors wasn’t difficult, but finding guinea pigs for Dr. Wagner’s latest study was. There weren’t a large pool of non-violent male prison inmates willing to risk a gender change even if it came with regained freedom.

“Are you nuts?” One Idaho inmate asked when told of the program. “There isn’t enough money in the world to make me risk going from having a dick to being a chick.”

Ninety-two volunteers from seven states were eventually found. Psychological tests and interviews were done first to filter out any potential problem patients. The Double Helix patient not wanting another patient 99 repeat. When done Dr. Wagner had a group of 25 men deemed fit to receive her formula.

Dr. Wagner had tried to persuade Double Helix managers into tapping the world-wide Male to female transsexual community. The German wanted to use the formula to help some people.

Unfortunately Dr. Wagner’s superiors preferred to keep the DNA formula a secret for now. Double Helix feeling the risk of the formula becoming known was too high if members of the Transsexual community got word of it. There could be thousands or millions soon clamoring to get a dose of Dr. Wagner’s formula.

The twenty-five men were given the DNA formula beginning on May 19th. Then a month passed before the patients were given another dose to reverse the change. Fourteen of the volunteers returned to their original gender, eleven did not.

For the most part, Dr. Wagner was pleased with the results. The scientist never once thought that her formula could be made one hundred percent perfect. She would settle for ninety-nine percent. Why the last women didn’t change wouldn’t be studied further. It being Dr. Wagner and her associates view that there must be some metabolic difference that results in rejection when the patient is given the DNA formula again.

Of the eleven now permanent women, nine were anywhere from accepting to very pleased with their new gender and bodies. The most interesting case of which was a male bodybuilder also known as patient seven, who after receiving the formula, had the body of a very petite blonde-haired woman.

Before starting her new life, the renamed Laura Moss thanked Dr. Wagner and her colleagues. “I can’t thank you doctors enough. Ever since I was five or six I wanted to be a woman. That’s why I got into weightlifting and steroids. To show to family and friends I was really a man, when in fact I wasn’t. Thanks again.”

In spite of precautions taken before hand, two patients didn’t react well to their permanent gender patients. Patient 19 committing suicide by hanging herself four days after receiving their second treatment. Dr. Wagner felt a great deal of guilt over patient 19’s outcome, which was in no way lessened by Patient 7’s happiness with her final outcome.

As she studied the results, Dr. Wagner began to think if it wasn’t time to concentrate on what truly mattered. She would be marrying Hank on July 5th, and afterwards they would go on a honeymoon for two and a half weeks. Dr. Wagner hoped that what was in fact her sixth marriage, but her first as a woman, would be both happy and reproductive.
 

~*~

 
It was June 24th when the Swan Song committee got the word. Firecracker plan B had been approved by Japanese officials. Now all Swan Song had to do was wait for Agent Ripley’s next visit to Keiji Watanabe’s Mt. Fuji area home.

“Major Hollins, you are to continue training for Firecracker,” Grant Williamson said at a June 26th Swan Song meeting.

“Yes.”

Grant Williamson was pleased with Firecracker’s approval. Swan Song could finally enter its final stage. With Barack Obama the Democratic nominee for President and the likely future President of the United States, Grant felt his dream of becoming FBI Director could come true.

Gabrielle wasn’t pleased about the Firecracker plan B being approved. She deemed this operation far too likely to bring harm to Tom Slater.

Unfortunately, there was nothing Gabrielle could do to reverse the course of Operation Swan Song. In light of both Swan Song’s and her own failures, Gabrielle began to have trouble sleeping at night, her conscience deeply troubled by what looked increasingly to be an unhappy, or even fatal, outcome for Tom Slater.
 

~*~

 
Hiromi Sato was disappointed but not surprised when her period arrived again on June 30th. She would have to be patient, something Hiromi rarely was, as her biological clock adjusted to the absence of birth control medications.

The return of her menses made Hiromi moody. She wasn’t in the best frame of mind for other reasons; for the last two business days, a small group of men and women had been protesting outside the branch of Kanagawa Bank that Hiromi had an office at.

That day Hiromi had to push her way through these disturbed people who walked outside Kanagawa carrying signs because the bank did business with South Korea. The controversy over the Dokdo islets, little mostly uninhabited rocks in the Sea of Japan, had flared up once again.

Hiromi thought the protestors to be grossly ignorant at best, or total idiots at worst. South Korea and Japan in spite of their differences, engaged in billions of dollars worth of trade every year. It was not just good for business on both sides of The Sea of Japan, but also economically beneficial to ordinary Korean and Japanese citizens. Nationalistic pride shouldn’t overrule common sense in Hiromi’s opinion.

Hiromi was just coming out of her private bathroom around five in the afternoon, when her secretary Aki relayed a message, “Your grandfather called. He asked for you to call back.” Hiromi called her Grandfather back immediately.

“Granddaughter, it is good to hear from you.”

Hiromi spoke to her grandfather almost every day since Goro Watanabe’s murder. On this particular day, Keiji sounded as if he hadn’t spoken to his granddaughter for weeks or longer. “It is good to hear from you also. What can I assist you with?”

“I am inviting you and Chuck to visit me at the lake this weekend. We have some business that needs discussing. Can you come?”

“Yes, Grandfather. What time should we arrive?”
 

~*~

 
Ai Toguchi was in the kitchen area of the Mt. Fuji area home she shared with Keiji Watanabe. She was helping Riko, Keiji’s latest cook and housekeeper, prepare dinner.

Keiji entered the room. “Hiromi and Charles will be having dinner with us on Saturday.”

Ai and Riko got the unspoken message Keiji was sending them. The meal on Saturday evening would have to be more sumptuous than the standard meals served at Keiji Watanabe’s house.

“I’ll have to go to the market tomorrow,” Ai told her husband. Agent Concierge would have to get a message to her controllers quickly. Would she have time to write an email that evening or would Keiji not give Ai the time she needed?
 

~*~

 
Ai Toguchi’s latest message was received by her controller on July 2nd. When told of it, Major Hollins immediately got in contact with his fellow Swan Song committee members.

“Concierge has informed us Agent Ripley will visit her Grandfather this coming weekend. It is time to implement Operation Firecracker.”

“Any objections, Inspector Yoshida?”

“No, sir, not as long as Major Hollins and his men adhere to the plan submitted to my superiors.”

“Inspector, I assure you, we will.”

Grant Williamson spoke up again. “If there is no other Swan Song business.....”

“There is,” Gabrielle said but not before taking a deep breath first. “I want to make a request.”

“What are you asking Agent Tanaka?” Grant Williamson asked in a impatient tone of voice.

“That I be allowed to be a participant in Operation Firecracker. There is no one here who knows Agent Ripley better.”

“I seem to recall Agent Tanaka claiming to know Ripley very well before Hornblower. We all know the outcome of that operation,” Major Hollins said in a sarcastic tone of voice

“Agent Tanaka, since this operation is being conducted by Major Hollins, it will be left up to him who can take part in it.”

“Sorry, Agent Tanaka, we have no room for you.”

Gabrielle was positively fuming. ‘Sorry my ass, you macho prick.’

Inspector Yoshida spoke up. “Agent Tanaka and I will be allowed to take part in Ripley’s debriefing?”

“Of course, Inspector. Agent Ripley is to remain in Japan as long as the authorities there have a need to question him.”

The meeting broke up a few minutes later. Gabrielle had a last ditch request to ask of Inspector Yoshida. “May I be allowed to ride with Firecracker team rather than the police representative that will be going?”

Inspector Yoshida shook his head. “Gabrielle-san, I would truly like to honor your request, but I have orders also.”
 

~*~

 
July 4th is an American holiday, but in Japan it is just another day. For the year 2008, the fourth of July fell on a Friday. After a day spent working at Kanagawa Bank, Hiromi and Chuck had dinner out before leaving for the Mt. Fuji area home once lived in by Goro Watanabe. After her husband’s funeral, Keiko Watanabe had gone to live on Okinawa. Keiko had grown up there as a child, and still had many family members on the island.

On the way out to Mt. Fuji, Chuck did some deep thinking. Chuck did this in part to keep his mind off the aggressive driving of his wife. Hiromi Sato mght be a married woman already, and one day a mother even, but she still drove like a Grand Prix racer.

‘Why wasn’t there a scar on Kimi-chan’s ankle?’ Chuck had been asking himself that question ever since that night in the shower. Surgical scars may fade, but they never disappear entirely. Had Chuck’s eyes played a trick on him or......

The alternative was too outlandish to take seriously. Chuck just couldn’t believe the woman seated beside him was anyone other than his wife Hiromi. Even if a person could be made to look identical to someone else physically, they could never re-create the person mentally.

Chuck had noticed Hiromi acting erratically for some time, but the Australian always chalked it up to one of two factors. The stress his girlfriend had to endure because of her Yakuza work or the plain unpredictability that all women seemed to possess.

“Kimi-chan, are you all right?”

“Yes, why do you ask?”

“Oh, nothing. Thought you may be feeling tired. I can drive the rest of the way if you want?”

“No, I’m not tired. We don’t have much further to go,” Hiromi said as she zoomed by some slow moving truck.

‘Same old Hiromi. No question, that’s your wife driving tonight. Get those crazy ideas out of your head,’ Chuck told himself in confidence.

Major Hollins had his men and equipment in place by mid-day on July 4th. A spotter at Kanagawa Bank notified the Operation Firecracker team of Hiromi Sato’s departure late on Friday afternoon.

“Sgt. Kayama informs us that there were three other cars leaving at the same time as Agent Ripley,” Lt. Connors told Major Hollins. “They all appeared to be together.”

The Firecracker team was ready Friday night, but the actual Operation was unlikely to take place before Sunday. Only when Ripley began her return trip to Yokohama would the men of Firecracker sweep in to capture the wayward agent.

Major Hollins still felt confident about Firecracker. He and his men had rehearsed and trained hard for the Operation. By Sunday night Agent Ripley will have been brought in, allowing Operation Swan Song to begin its long overdue final stages.

Neither Hiromi Sato nor Tom Slater, still overwhelmed by the Yakuza accountant he shared a body with, had the slightest premonition of what lay ahead as the sun rose on July 5th. Not waiting for her husband to wake, Hiromi put on clothes suitable for a long jog.

On exiting the bedroom, Hiromi announced her early morning plans. “I want to go for a jog.”

The jog Hiromi went for was not dissimilar from the one she took with Reina Shimizu the previous September. Hiromi went for a run in the foothills surrounding Mt. Fuji. A car full of her bodyguards, led by Roger Hyde, followed about twenty yards behind their boss.

Hiromi ran almost fifteen miles that morning. She only called it quits when her left calf muscle began to tighten. On the way back home, Hiromi had her bodyguards stop in Kawaguchiko to get their boss some coffee.

Chuck was up and having breakfast when Hiromi got back to the house. “Kimi-chan, you got up early.”

“I went for a run,” Hiromi said after she and Chuck shared a quick kiss.

“That is what Kimo told me. Do you want some breakfast?”

“Not yet. Let me shower first.”
 

~*~

 
Shortly after getting back to the house with his boss, Roger Hyde was given a message by bodyguard Kimo. “I was told to give you this.”

Roger took the hand written message from Yuri and began to read it. Watanabe Yakuza shareigashira Hideichi Ishimoto wished to see the bodyguard that afternoon in Yokohama, for what purpose, Roger didn’t have a clue.

The meeting with Hideichi Ishimoto would interfere with Roger’s duties as security chief for Hiromi Sato, but the bodyguard had to meet the sharigashira. Hideichi Ishimoto was the person who’d hired Roger Hyde and was really his direct superior, not Hiromi Sato.

Roger crumbled up the message and threw it in a waste can before addressing Kimo “I’ve got to return to Yokohama then. While I’m gone, Yuri is in charge.”

Kimo nodded his head. “What do we tell Taro-san if she asks where you are?”

“Tell the boss nothing.”
 

~*~

 
Hiromi did notice Roger’s absence when leaving for her grandfather’s house about 3pm that afternoon. As he held a car door open for his Taro, Yuri informed Hiromi that Roger had to go back to Yokohama. Hiromi didn’t inquire any further.

Keiji Watanabe was all smiles as usual when his granddaughter and Chuck arrived at the Oyabun’s house. As soon as the couple was inside, Keiji began making small talk about the weather.
 

~*~

 
Roger Hyde’s meeting with Hideichi Ishimoto took place at the shareigashira’s Yokohama home. Hidechi did not live at the Negishi Bay apartment tower.

“May I offer you something to drink?”

“A beer if you have one.”

As soon as both men had their refreshments and were settled in, Hideichi began to address why he summoned Roger that day. “Oyabun-san is making some changes. They will take place before the month has ended.”

Roger nodded his head. Everyone associated with the Watanabe Yakuza expected there to be changes in the aftermath of Goro Watanabe’s death.

“Hiromi-san will be changing her base of operations to Hong Kong.”

‘So my boss is being moved out. For heaven’s sake why?’ Roger asked himself. A move to Hong Kong for Hiromi could mean only one thing. Hiromi was being demoted within the Watanabe Yakuza, or being forced out for some reason.

Hideichi Ishimoto wasn’t about to tell his employee the reason for this unexpected shift, but Roger had already made an educated guess at what it might be. Roger might be a former soldier turned professional bodyguard and head of security (He hated the word mercenary), but the man was hardly dumb. He judged Hiromi to be an excellent financial advisor (She helped invest the money of her bodyguards), and competent or better in other Yakuza matters. Then why was she being demoted?

Roger wasn’t privy to all aspects of the internal politics of the Watanabe yakuza, but he understood the way most men thought in Japan. Women, no matter how much they proved themselves otherwise, were considered to be inferior. Roger thought this was an idiotic mindset to have.

In the case of Hiromi Sato, Roger thought this was a particularly idiotic way of thinking. Roger respected his boss and considered Hiromi formidable for someone either male or female. What a shame some of the Watanabes didn’t realize this.

“Will I still be employed to protect Sato-san?” Roger asked. The British born bodyguard had to ask himself if Hideichi had a part in Hiromi Sato’s demotion. It was well known within the Watanabe Yakuza that Hideichi Ishimoto was a very ambitious man.

“Yes, but there will be some changes.”
 

~*~

 
Dinner on Saturday night was scheduled for 7:30. About a half hour before the meal was to begin, Ai Toguchi’s dog Cherry began whimpering.

“Please excuse me.” Ai said to Keiji, Chuck, and Hiromi. Then Agent Concierge picked up her pet and left the room.

Ai took her beloved pet outdoors so Cherry could conduct his ‘personal business’. It was a beautiful summer night in Japan. The sun already setting by the time Ai and Cherry exited the house.

It was time for the next step in preparation for Operation Firecracker to take place. What Ai was about to do was based on a suggestion from Gabrielle Tanaka when the two women met in Nagano. Instead of Ai letting Cherry loose as soon as they exited Keiji Watanabe’s house, Agent Concierge carried the dog out into the front yard some five yards before releasing her pet.

As Gabrielle Tanaka and Ai Toguchi hoped for, Cherry made a beeline directly towards Hiromi Sato’s Fairlady. When Cherry got there, the dog lifted its left hind leg and began urinating on one of the car’s tires..

Ai hurried over to Cherry. The dog’s owner squatted down and said, “Bad Cherry.” Ai then scooped up the three-year-old dauschund before proceeding to stand up. As she did, Keiji Watanabe’s wife used The Fairlady for leverage.

As she did this, Ai attached a small electronic device on the inside wheel well. As soon as the device magnetic gadget took hold, it began sending out a signal.

Agent Concierge had just attached a tracking device to Hiromi Sato’s car in front of at least eight bodyguards who thought what they had just observed to be totally innocent.
 

~*~

 
Less than fifteen miles away, The Firecracker team was still in place. Hiromi Sato wasn’t expected to leave the Mt. Fuji area till Sunday afternoon, but Major Hollins and his men had to be ready for an early departure.

The lack of activity combined with anticipation made some Firecracker personnel very antsy. This didn’t apply to Major Hollins however. The Army officer remained calm and patient as darkness fell Saturday evening.

Corporal Jarred Wilkinson was in the Firecracker communications truck. At fifteen-minute intervals, the Firecracker team checked a certain frequency to see if the beeper given to Ai Toguchi was in place yet. After conducting the 7:20pm check, Corporal Wilkinson called out.

“Sir, the beeper has been activated.”

Major Hollins had to check for himself. Corporal Wilkinson was right, the signal that was being received couldn’t be anything other than the beeper previously given to Agent Concierge.

The Firecracker team could now monitor Agent Ripley’s movements. If everything went according to plan, Ripley would be in custody before sunset the following day.
 

~*~

 
Hiromi Sato left her grandfather’s home just before 11pm. Feeling tired, Hiromi asked Chuck if they could abstain that night from their usual lovemaking. Chuck said whatever his little sports car wanted was fine with him.

Sunday began much like Saturday, with Hiromi going out for a early morning run, but this time a much shorter one. On return home, Hiromi worked out some more, then showered before sitting down with her husband to have a light breakfast.

Chuck and Hiromi got to Keiji Watanabe’s home shortly after eleven in the morning. Hiromi was told the previous evening that her grandfather wanted to discuss some Yakuza matters before they had lunch.

“I’ll wait here,” Chuck said to Hiromi before they shared one last kiss in the home’s front sitting area. “You and grandfather talk as long as you need to. I’ll be patient.”

Chuck carefully watched Hiromi as she left him. The Australian felt the time had finally arrived for Keiji Watanabe’s planned reshuffling of the Yakuza family he headed. Chuck hoped his wife didn’t take the news too badly.
 

~*~

 
Roger Hyde was already putting the new security arrangements for Hiromi Sato into effect. The British bodyguard doing as he had been ordered to do the day before by Hideichi Ishimoto.

For one thing, Hiromi’s security detail was being cut back from ten to only three bodyguards. Just Roger, Kimo, and Yuri remaining. After Keiji Watanabe’s granddaughter moved to Hong Kong, her protectors would be cut again. Only Roger and Yuri would be making the move to the Former British Royal colony.

Roger still disagreed with the reasons for Hiromi’s demotion, and now disliked the new security arrangements for his boss also. Hiromi was still a Watanabe, transfer to Hong Kong or no transfer, and therefore at risk anywhere she may live.

Life for the British bodyguard was about to get tougher, not easier. Not the type to complain or whine, Roger kept his reservations to himself. Roger would still be getting paid to protect Hiromi Sato, and that was what mattered most.
 

~*~

 
It took a few minutes for Hiromi and Keiji to settle in for their upcoming talk. First Riko Watanabe came to ask if her employer and his granddaughter wanted anything to drink. Keiji and Hiromi both requesting tea.

Not till they were given their drinks and Riko had left the room, did Keiji Watanabe get down to business. “Granddaughter, there are some business matters we need to discuss.”

“I came this weekend as you wished, Grandfather.”

Keiji nodded his head. “You have worked hard for the family these last few years. Much was asked of you, but you never failed me or Goro-san. Granddaughter, you exceeded all our expectations.”

“Thank you, Grandfather, for putting trust in me and allowing me to be of service.” Hiromi replied. She beginning to wonder where the conversation was heading.

Keiji wanted to be as gentle as possible when telling Hiromi about his plans for her. If Hiromi had been fully Yakuza and male, the Oyabun would have been more direct. Women were emotional creatures, which was another reason Keiji was being gentle.

In Keiji’s mind, a woman because of their emotional nature, could never be decisive or ruthless enough to lead a Yakuza family. Over the last few weeks Keiji had sensed Hiromi’s ambition to be Oyabun. It was time to end that fantasy.

“Are you and Chuck happy?”

“Yes, grandfather, we are.”

“I hope one day you will honor me with great grandchildren. They would bring me great pleasure.”

“That is my dream too, grandfather.”

“You have changed, granddaughter, since your arrival here.”

“I hope those changes have satisfied you.”

“A wise man said the only constant is change. Do you agree?”

“Yes, Grandfather.”

“There are changes in the life that lay ahead of us. This applies to all of us, not just you and I, granddaughter.”

Hiromi’s sixth sense was beginning to tell her that Keiji Watanabe had some plan for her. He was being more indirect than usual, and this was a warning to Hiromi that the news would not be good.

After taking a look at her watch, Hiromi tried to steer her grandfather towards the purpose of that day’s meeting. Hiromi Sato didn’t believe in dilly-daddling. “Grandfather, what changes are we talking of?”

“My family has changed of late.”

“Goro-san’s death was most unfortunate.”

“Yes, it was. It also marked a turning point.”

“The family is fortunate to have your wise leadership again, Grandfather.”

Keiji smiled briefly. Hiromi had just acknowledged his superiority. Then the reshuffling Keiji was about to announce should go down without protest. “Granddaughter, I need you to do something for me.”

“What is that?”

“The family will always be in need of your counsel and money skills. To ensure you are able to do this, I must first guarantee your safety. Do you understand?”

Hiromi’s blood was almost at a boiling point. Her grandfather was about to push her aside once again. “No, I don’t understand.”

“You are a married woman now, and will soon have family responsibilities. That will leave you vulnerable. To ensure your safety, I ask you and Charles to move away from Yokohama till things are safer here.”

“For how long?” Hiromi asked, not knowing her face was beginning to turn bright red.

“I don’t know. You will go to Hong Kong till I deem it safe for you to return. I have bought.....”

Hiromi wasn’t listening as Keiji told his granddaughter about the home he had bought her. Instead all the past resentments and hatred Hiromi felt towards her blood relatives came boiling to the surface.

“I will not go to Hong Kong.”

“Granddaughter, this really is the best....”

“No, it isn’t and you can’t tell me what to do.”

“I’m the head of this family,” Keiji proclaimed. ‘Why are you so angry towards me, Granddaughter? Have you no appreciation for all that I have done for you through the years?’

Hiromi stood up and yelled. “I’m an adult woman. No one, including you, Grandfather can boss me around.”

“Granddaughter, sit down,” Keiji said as he tried to control his temper. The Oyabun felt Hiromi deserved a good slap for her insubordination.

“You can’t tell me what to do.” Hiromi cried out. Two of Keiji Watanabe’s bodyguards then entered the room. They came to check if their employer was in need of assistance.

“May I remind you, I am the head of this family. You work for me. I can at any time end the work you do for the family.”

Hiromi yelled in a voice full of rage, years of frustration and resentment were finally let loose, “Twenty eight years ago you and my father abandoned me to be raised by someone you hired. Then I come here, work hard, prove myself, and make money for all of you only to be abandoned again. I won’t let it happen, now or ever, and I don’t care if you’re my grandfather. That goes for you being Oyabun too.”

“You will never be Oyabun,” Keiji proclaimed in a strong tone of voice to his granddaughter.

Without another word said, or the customary bow a granddaughter would make towards family, Hiromi left the room. As she did, Hiromi pushed one of the two bodyguards present out of her way.
 

~*~

 
Only moments after Hiromi left his presence, Keiji got up and walked over to the cabinet where most of the liquor in his house was kept. Keiji poured himself a shot of vodka, swallowed it in one gulp, then poured himself a second.

“Oyabun, do you need us for anything?” The first bodyguard asked.

“Just leave me.”

The two bodyguards immediately gave Keiji Watanabe back his privacy.

Keiji hadn’t expected Hiromi to react in the angry emotional, almost violent way she did. He rather believed his granddaughter would see what Keiji had decided was in Hiromi’s best interest. With further time to coolly reflect on the matter, maybe Hiromi would have a change of mind.

It would have to change, because Keiji would not change the future course of the Watanabe family just to accommodate his granddaughter. Keiji had to look at the bigger picture, and after years of turmoil, the Watanabe Yakuza needed some sense of stability. Otherwise the family would be considered weak and vulnerable by its enemies.

That may have been the strongest argument in support of Keiji’s decision to demote Hiromi. The perceived appearance that the Watanabe Yakuza was weak because it had a young woman as one of its leaders. To ensure his family’s future, Keiji had restore its outward appearance of strength. That could only be done by placing Hiromi in a less visible position.

Keiji really thought the decision he made was best, not just for his family, but Hiromi also. Hiromi wanted to have a family one day that would not just interfere with her Yakuza responsibilities, but would make her more vulnerable than she was already.

With time, Hiromi would see this. If not, Keiji would have to be forceful with his granddaughter. Another outburst like what had happened that day would not be allowed. Even blood relatives were not allowed to challenge a Oyabun in public.

Those who did would be given one warning not to bring further disgrace to themselves or the family. The penalty for disgracing a Yakuza family, as Goro Watanabe had learned, was death, even for its highest leaders. Hiromi Sato was no different than any other Watanabe family member.
 

~*~

 
Ai Toguchi couldn’t help but overhear Hiromi Sato yelling at her grandfather. The walls of Keiji Watanabe’s home were almost paper thin.

Then Hiromi came out of the living room. A look of absolute fury on her face. Ai tried saying something to Hiromi, but Keiji Watanabe’s granddaughter wasn’t listening. She walked right past Ai without saying a word.

Chuck was still in the front guest room where Hiromi had left him minutes earlier. “Kimi-chan.....”

“We are leaving. NOW.”

As Hiromi and Chuck exited the house, Ai took her cell phone out. Ai entered a phone number she had been asked to memorize.
 

~*~

 
Major Hollins was giving a last pep talk to his men, when Corporal Wilkinson called out from the Operation Firecracker command truck. “Sir, forgive my interruption, we just received a signal from Concierge.”

“What kind of signal?"

“She reports Agent Ripley has left the Watanabe home.”
 

~*~

 
To be continued in Part Eleven

up
40 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

ohhhhhhhhhh so verry interesting

NoraAdrienne's picture

Long ago, in a Universe far and away... I worked for a Japanese company.. Toshiba-Popular. They made Toshiba/Popular filters for cameras and Popular brand flashes.... I wonder if my old boss Yasuhira Fakuda is related to your character who is the Prime Minister? LOL

Bright Blessings

Very Exciting

Chapter! Quite the cliffhanger. I think the writing is excellent.

The brutality shown in this chapter just emphasizes the overall brutality of the Yakuza.

Keiji's thoughts, after Hiromi screamed at him and walked out, indicate that Keiji had Goro assassinated. I'm sorry, but I can't remember what Goro did to bring shame on the family. Can anyone tell me what he did?

Hugs,
Renee

Hugs and Bright Blessings,
Renee

Goro's mistake

I think it was likely the Nippon Wireless acquisition, which pretty much took a nose dive after Goro acquired it.

There may have been other things that were involved, but I believe that was the main reason.

Suspenseful

terrynaut's picture

Oh! This just keeps getting better. The suspense is killing me!

There's so much going on. Cyclonic plot elements swirl around Hiromi but she's anything but calm. Yikes!

Thanks and please continue this intense story. :)

- Terry

Yay!

The next chapter of Duty, Honor, Country, Family is up. Boo, I don't have the time to read it!!! I promise I will at the first opportunity, but alas time is fleeting!

hugs!

grover

Little sportscar.

I think that everyone is underestimating Hiromi. From Tom Slater about the force of her personality to her grandfather and all of those in Operation Firecracker. I'm looking forward to the next chapter now that I finally made myself find time to read this one!!!!

hugs!

grover

Duty, Honor, Country, Family - Part 10

Will the setback help Tom to become dominant?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine