Private Bookmarks

Printer-friendly version

Forums: 

Taxonomy upgrade extras: 

New Feature! There's now a private flag below almost every kind of post for bookmarking the post so it can easily be found again -- using the |My Bookmarks| menu item in the right hand column for most logged-in users.

This is going to be a replacement for the old Favorites gadget that had problems because you had to go to your account to see the list and other people could see it too.

This will be a private list for each logged-in user.

So, replace your old favorites with bookmarks because in a week or a month or two, the next time BC gets updated, the favorites gadget will go away.

Hugs,
Erin

Awww...

This will probably make a lot of the other authors/readers very happy to hear, but I can't help but think that it will cost the site what I felt was a very nice feature. Then again, from what I've seen I'm probably the only really vocal supporter of the current 'Favorites' as a way to recommend stories to other readers/authors more than marking stories to read yourself.

So long, to one of my favorite features of the site, I guess, though most will like the new one better.

Melanie E.

What do you think? Shall we keep favorites?

erin's picture

Since it works differently than bookmarks (which is what favorites is called internally, while bookmarks is called flags internally, confused?).

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Well, I like it

And I think that they would work great together, but it doesn't seem like a lot of people want to use their Favorites list as is, and most will probably only use one or the other.

Like I said, I personally love being able to view another author's profile page -- what little there is to it -- and see what stories they recommend to other readers or authors. It makes me feel like I have a better understanding of what they write or how they comment to see that, and it often introduces me to stories I haven't given a chance before for one reason or another.

I would keep both, but if nobody else is going to use the Favorites list then it would only take up room. *sigh*

Melanie E.

I like the favorites as well

KristineRead's picture

Erin,

I like the favorites, I have no problem if people see which stories I like, and now we have the option to book mark privately as well.

In fact the only thing really missing from the favorites is what some other sites have which is a notification to an author when someone adds their story to their favorites, which is always nice to know.

Even without that, i would like to see it maintained myself, IF having both does not put a burden on the site.

BTW, thanks as always for your constant attempts to improve the site and the user experience! Hooray for Erin!

Hugs,

Kristy

I likes features....

Piper's picture

I personally don't use it, but I think it's something you should keep. There is a similar system @ TGF for marking your favorite authors/stories/series which also enables the "People that liked this story, also liked "blah"" feature.

As long as your current server can handle the load of both, I think giving your users the choice of private bookmarks, or public favorites is a great idea.

I kinda wish I had the option of adding private bookmarks to TGF!

-P/KAF/PT

"She was like a butterfly, full of color and vibrancy when she chose to open her wings, yet hardly visible when she closed them."
— Geraldine Brooks

I've always liked the

I've always liked the "Favorites". It has led me to several stories I would not have read before. I do like looking at what others think is worth "marking" so they can read it again, and I've found a bunch of good stuff I might not have read.

Plus, my ego is fragile enough that seeing one of my stories on someone's favorites is still a boost to me. hehehe
----
May the Stars Light Your Path
Maid Joy
http://joyphillip.davensjournal.com/

I think the favourites are

I think the favourites are handy, and certainly appropriate for the Facebooked, Twittered, and Yelped age.

Cheers,

Liobhan

-

Cheers,

Liobhan