A suggestion for Authors . . . . .

Printer-friendly version

Forums: 

Taxonomy upgrade extras: 

Many authors present "serial chapters" over a long period of time, and/or at irregular intervals. Due to many different styles of writing, it is sometimes difficult for 'readers' to determine when a particular story is complete and that no additional chapters will be forthcoming. At the end of each of each posted chapter (or at the end of an installment which contains multiple chapters) it should be clearly marked "To be Continued" or "The End". That way there would be no question, by anyone, about the status of a story.

I've been told that there is a "tag" for Author's to use when submitting a serial chapter, and one to indicate a complete work, and it sure would be nice if each Author would faithfully use it!

While it would be Nice

... It is not Mandatory to do so. Most authors already know this. The purpose of BigCloset TopShelf is to assist and help the author, we are not mandating this policy. It is requested... but not mandated. It would be useful and beneficial for the authors to do so, yes. Some may not feel the need to as they may wish to end the story or think about ending it. To forcibly require an ending statement or continuation statement while an author is thinking on it is a little too extreme. So that is voluntary only. We will not enforce it.

The serial/solo tags are voluntary for the moment, in order to evaluate its response and usefulness within our community. It may or may not stay.

ps: I am the one that inserts those To Be Continued... 's at the end of most of the serials. Author's do forget. And I will occasionally miss doing it myself.

Sephrena Lynn Miller
BigCloset TopShelf
TGLibrary.com

Serials are usually fairly obvious anyway

Puddintane's picture

As someone, possibly the author, links each of them to a title page eventually, so they have those little links at the bottom pointing to the previous, next, and title pages, where all is revealed.

The most notable exceptions to this general rule are stories set in "universes," where they may or may not be related to other stories set in the same "universe." In these sorts of stories, the individual bits tend to be relatively self-sufficient, although of course there are exceptions.

Likewise, some stories which are meant to be stand-alone are part of larger story arcs or universes, so characters may reappear in other stories. Is the "Julieverse," for example, a "serial" in any real sense? Almost all the story arcs started out as separate threads, and have only lately been connected in any direct manner.

So if one wanted to wait until the Julieverse is "complete," you might still be waiting twenty years from now.

Many of the most famous books we know started out life as serials, Sherlock Holmes was a serial character for many years before he was "collected" into books. The Bible, for another example, was a serial for thousands of years. Proust's Remembrance of Things Past was a serial novel whose publication spanned the years between 1913 and 1927, inclusive. English speakers had to wait a lot longer for the translation, 1922-1930 for the first six, and another year later for the last.

But then there were new editions, continuing to the present day.

The book world was (and in some cases still is) as bad as the DVD movie world, where we have first releases, then Director's Cuts, then extended "platinum" editions, and now Blu-Ray, and so on into eternity.

Where can we find a standing place to say that this or that is the *final* episode, the *final* version?

Many of our authors revise their works on an ongoing basis (one excellent reason for making at least one comment, because only those who comment can easily discover that a favourite story has been updated) so even stories that are "complete" may not, in fact, be "finished."

Cheers,

Puddin'

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

I wanted to rant and rave against serials --snicker --

but then that's most of what I write here.

Yes I am working on my main one, Timeout, honest, really , no fooln'

John in Wauwatosa

P.S. Erin, thanks for putting up with us cranky, whinny readers and writers. We sure do give you gief in exchange for the joys. Bless you.

P.P.S. Wauwatosa WI, no, really, it exists, look at Google, MapQuest, Rand McNally.

John in Wauwatosa

Wauwatosa WI, no, really, it exists

Well Duh John, like who didn't know that.

Nothing in Life is Free; if the cost is not monetary it will be physical, emotional, or spiritual.
Rachel Anne

Nothing in Life is Free; if the cost is not monetary it will be physical, emotional, or spiritual.
Rachel Anne