DC comics goes Ret-connning?

Printer-friendly version

Forums: 

Taxonomy upgrade extras: 

I just read that DC comics is rebooting its line of heroes - again. maybe we could get a tg superman yet ....

Sorry Dorothy

If that were to happen DC would be making Superman/? an R rated comic and they won't do that.
They would have to team with another company if they wanted to do that storyline. I just don't think the public would go for it.

DC comics goes Ret-connning?

This started with Crisis On Infinite Earths

Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

actually, much earlier

the first "Ret-Con" was in the 60s when the "silver age" began. Barry Allen replaced Jay Gerrick as the Flash, Hal Jordan replaced Alan Scott as Green Lantern, minor tweaks were made to other characters.

Dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

I quit reading DC comics

When 'crisis of infinite earths' came out, I got royally cheesed.

They decided to destroy 50 years of history of Superman, for example, just to try to scrape up some more money - well, they lost mine. I mean, the entire _point_ behind Clark Kent ending up in Metropolis, building the Fortress of Solitude, and dedicating himself to humanity was that his parents _died_.

I firmly believe in entertainment being fun, rather than depressing. (I'm not a huge 'Death of a Salesmen' fan, for example) I also believe in plot and character development. I mean, Batman wouldn't have been the 'dark knight' without his folks being murdered in front of him. (If anything, I've been told the original Batman comics were REALLY gruesome and dark. They were written for adults, not children, after all. )

I didn't have a problem with the pandimensional/alternate reality crossover; I just had a problem with why they did it, and what came out of it.

I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

That's why i jumped ship to Manga/Anime otakudom

I paid the fine and got out of American comics it's mainstream is so stagnant and poisoned it has almost nothing original left only the same heroes fighting the same villains.
It never ends the stories keep going forever there's a beginning a body of narrative and no ending, it never stops, reaches an conclusion or goes anywhere and if it ever does it gets retconned out of existence to maintain the status quo.