I wish I could make a map for my new story

Printer-friendly version

Forums: 

Taxonomy upgrade extras: 

I'm working on my story based on on my D and D experience, and I really wish I could include a map of some kind. Most fantasy stories have them, and it may help the reader figure out where they are, and I always enjoyed them when I saw one. Its too bad I cant figure out a way to make one for the story ....

Paper + pen + (camera or scanner)

If you've got a stack of paper (you know, the thin sheets of dead tree pulp people wrote on before computers were invented) and a pen (the stylus that leaves a trail of blue or black liquid when pressed against paper), have a go at drawing the map. Then, if you've got access to a scanner, scan it in. If you haven't, but have a digital camera, take a photo of the map.

N.B. Those images are likely to be significantly larger than what this site allows - either resize them before upload, or upload them somewhere else and link to it from here.

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

even better...

Some nice stock, colored pencils, and these special artists oil-based crayons you can buy. I used this method to make some images, including a full-color map, of Searth, a story I published in my HS periodical.

The scanning it in component still has to take place, of course.

Some real great art you can create by coloring in hard edges with colored pencil and softening it with oil pastel...

Abigail Drew.

Abigail Drew.

Hmmm, I have software a lot

Hmmm, I have software a lot of RPG game designers use for building maps on my computer. Unfortunately, I can't share it but I'm sure there are freeware programs that do something similar.
Shannon Johnston

Samirah M. Johnstone

MS Paint

I've include maps in a number of stories and despite being a poor artist, they've turned out okay. One thing I would recommend, if you don't need a map of the entire world, don't draw it. Draw the area where you characters will be. Additionally, it does not need to be perfect, worlds are amorphous shapes, draw that. Try to keep it simple, but it still may take you multiple nights to draw.

An example"

http://bigclosetr.us/topshelf/system/files/Merchant2.gif

You do have to be somewhat cognizant of the size, that is a bit of problem with some of my maps.

Cartographer 3

shiinaai's picture

I'm using cartographer 3. It's simple to use (if you learn first from tutorials instead of fumbling about) and makes a very professional-looking fantasy map. Its companion is the city designer 3, capable of making a layout of medieval towns and cities.

Unfortunately, both are expensive. I can share Campaign Cartograper 3, but if anyone can share City Desinger 3, I would love you until the day my hairdryer expires, which is a long way away.

Eris