A New Style of Education - Part 47

Printer-friendly version

A New Style of Education

by Karen Page

Part 47

Will Hayfield's next trip happen?


Part 47

Monday 2nd January 2006

Melissa broke the unhappy silence blanketing the room. "We'll still be together for three days. Let's make the most of it."

"How about a sleepover on Thursday night?" I suggested, trying to cheer people up.

My idea was met by silence and I began to worry that I'd said something wrong, when suddenly there was a big "That's brilliant," from Elaine. The room erupted with excited chatter. As I glanced around, I spotted that most of the boys were very quiet.

"Did I say something wrong?" I quietly asked Lewis, who was sitting nearby. Before I'd mentioned the word 'sleepover' he'd been fine, but now he looked like he was trying desperately to control his emotions, and was shaking slightly.

"I was forced to go to some before I transitioned."

The excitement plummeted as soon as they realised someone wasn't happy.

"Sorry," I said, feeling a bit bad. "A few years ago I'd heard some mention of one at school. I thought I'd not been invited because I wasn't part of the in-crowd. I take it a sleepover is a girl thing?"

There were a lot of nods at that. Oh boy, what had I just got myself into?

"Why does a slumber party have to be a girl thing?" Phil asked. "This isn't about being boys or girls, it's about all of us spending our last few hours together before we go home. So, it doesn't have to be makeup and trying on clothes. We could have some silly games, crazy competitions and lots of fun."

"No mud-wrestling though," said Carolyn.

That produced a lot of sniggers from year-D, but they refused to elaborate.

I'd no idea if it was possible to have a sleepover. It had been a tight squeeze when we all slept together after my attempted suicide, but that hadn't been a fun time. The plans being discussed sounded great, but I thought I better check to see if it was possible, so I sent a message to Rachel.

"Are you looking forward to going home?" asked Sam. That got a lot of mixed responses, all at the same time.

"I've had fun here, like a vacation, even though we did have to do some studying" said Melissa slowly, trying to find her way through her feelings. "It's been good and lots of fun, but there is no place like home. We've lived at Immigration Manor for over three years and it's become home."

"I'm going to miss it here in England," said Erika. "I'd grown quite fond of living here, and then Dad's job took us back to America. I'd just started getting used to America and we ended up coming back to England."

My PDA chimed, with Rachel's response. I scanned through it, and smiled. "According to Rachel, sleeping bags will be available, as will snack food and drinks.

A big cheer nearly raised the roof, and it also included the boys. The rest of the evening was spent planning our special night and it didn't seem long before Edith rang to say that Helen was ready.

"I'm just getting Helen," I said heading towards the door.

"Do you want company?" Jill asked, getting up.

Wow, these are great friends. "Thanks Jill, but I want to see if I can do it myself. I'll ring if I feel bad."

When I got to the top of the stairs, my heart was pounding faster. I felt uneasy, but it wasn't anywhere near as bad as back in Moscow. I stopped, took some slow deep breaths, and managed to walk on.

"Nobody came with you?" asked Helen, when I got to Edith's temporary office. She'd poked her head outside the door and looked both ways.

"No. I wanted to see if I could manage by myself."

"How did you do?" asked Edith, joining us at the door.

"Better than in Moscow, but I'm not myself. I managed though, without running here in a panic."

"Don't be ashamed to ask for help," said Edith.

"Jill did offer, but I wanted to see if I could do it myself."

"Jayne, it's great you are trying, but don't be ashamed to accept offered help. I'll see you tomorrow after breakfast," Edith reminded me.

"So how did it go?" I asked Helen as we set off back.

"Strange. It seems the two guards weren't dead, but had just been injured."

"Really?"

"Yes, the information came in while we chatted. It made me feel a bit better, but still doesn't stop me thinking I could have killed someone."

I decided to change the subject a bit and informed Helen about the date for Immigration Manor to go home.

"We've got to do something special the night before," she said, frowning in thought.

"I had a similar thought, and suggested a sleepover."

"You suggested what?!" Helen laughed out loud.

It is great to see Helen laughing again.

When she'd calmed down a bit, she eventually managed to say, "I bet that went well with the boys."

"Not at first. I'm sure Lewis was shaking with fear. Anyway, we've decided to make it more of a Hayfield style event, so it can be enjoyed by all. Rachel said she will supply sleeping bags and snacks."

"You have been busy, but what made you suggest a sleepover?"

"I don't know. I remember a few years ago, when you were invited to one and when I saw you on the following Monday, it was all you could talk about. I always thought that I hadn't been invited because nobody liked me. I didn't know until today that it was a girl's thing."

We stopped and Helen let go of my hand as she pulled me towards her. "I'm sorry, I didn't know, though now I know you better, I quite can see why you thought that. Would you have liked to have gone to that sleepover?"

"At the time, yes, because I didn't understand. Now, I don't know. It would have certainly increased the beatings I suffered. I'm not sure what your friends would have said either."

"We're together now, and we'll have an even better sleepover, where you won't get beaten for going, or enjoying yourself."

As we opened the door to the common room, we heard the excited chatter. They were still discussing the sleepover. It sounded like they were sorting out rules for a twister competition. What did I start?

"Are you okay?" asked Melissa when she heard the door. Everyone had stopped what they were doing and looked eager for the answer. It looked like they'd chatted about things and weren't crowding us, which is what normally happens.

"We're fine. Now, did we hear something about a twister competition?"

Not surprisingly, we all started to get tired earlier than normal. It had been a long day, even for those that had managed to get some sleep on the plane or on the coach.

"I think I'm going to bed," Helen announced just before nine. "I'm knackered."

I think everyone had been waiting for someone else to suggest the idea, as everyone was quickly clearing away. Five minutes later, the common room was deserted.

Helen and I had just got into my room when there was a knock on my door. My heart sank and Helen didn't look any happier. All we wanted to do was get into bed and catch up on some of the sleep we'd missed.

I forced myself to smile and went to answer the door, opening it to find Jessica and Sam.

"I know it's late, but can we come in?"

"Sure," said Helen, whom I'd not heard come up. She was radiating a nice warm smile. "Sorry about the mess."

"It's better than ours," admitted Sam. "And last time you visited our rooms, you were certainly not expected."

I smiled at that, though at the time, nobody laughed. I rubbed my nose, in memory of Jessica bashing the door on my face. They took the settee and we grabbed two chairs. "So, what's up?"

They both seemed reluctant to speak, and subtly tried to prompt each other. Sam eventually said, "Jessica had this idea which she wanted to tell you."

Jessica glared at Sam, but gave in. "Do you know if they do school exchanges?"

"You want to go to The Manor?" I hope I didn't sound too surprised.

"They are able to help me better," said Sam. "They have a therapist that understands my issue better than the ones here."

"To some at Hayfield, I'm just Wendy's little sister," added Jessica. "Also, I'm too easily influenced by her. Besides, I like to travel."

"So this is something you both want?" Helen asked.

They both nodded.

"Have you talked with Tracy or Dan about it?"

"No, we were too worried what they would say," Jessica replied.

"Erika mentioned earlier that when she moved back to America, she really missed England. I wonder if she would like to swap," Sam said, explaining more of an obviously earlier chat with Jessica.

"Someone once said to me, 'To succeed, do it now'." Helen fished out her PDA. "Sorry for ringing this late, but we have an issue which you might be able to help with." Helen paused. "Oh, that's interesting. Do you want to come across and discuss it now? ... We're in Jayne's room. See you in a few then."

"So?" I asked. Poor Sam and Jessica were sitting on the edge of the settee, eager to know what was happening.

Helen didn't give anything away. "We have four guests coming. Will you all give me a hand moving my settee and some chairs from my room into here?"

We were still dragging in the settee when there was a knock on my door. I rushed across and let in Melissa, Jamie, Martha and Erika. Jamie saw what was happening and jumped across the room to help. With the extra hands, we were all soon sorted and seated.

Jamie started. "It seems we've both been asked similar questions. Martha and Erika came to us a few minutes ago, asking if there was such a thing as a student exchange. From Helen's call, I guess that Jessica and Sam have asked the same thing? Mel and I understand the reasons why Erika and Martha want to swap schools and agreed to talk to Mr Moore as long as you two are okay with it."

"If you're okay to have Sam and Jessica, then we would be happy to have Martha and Erika," Helen said.

There was a lot of excitement after that. I'd been a bit worried about Martha, but she seemed equally happy to move.

"There is one final hoop. No matter how happy with the idea we are, we need to ask Mr Hobson and Mr Moore. They might not be happy with us plotting all of this. I'm sure they will want to discuss it with your support people, too."

I checked the time. It was still within curfew, so I pulled out my PDA hoping I wasn't disturbing Mr Hobson by ringing at this time. "What did you say, Helen? Do it now?"

"Hi, Jayne," Mr Hobson answered his phone.

"Sorry to disturb you this late. Is now okay to talk?"

"Of course, what can I do for you?"

"If Mr Moore is also available, would it be okay if Melissa, James, Helen and I come and chat with both of you?"

"I'm available now. I'll check if Mr Moore is available, and if so, he'll join us."

When I'd ended the call, I said to the others, "I suggested just the year leaders, so it wouldn't be too much of a squeeze. Mr Hobson would like to see us now and hopefully Mr Moore will be there. Since we probably won't get an answer tonight, why don't the rest of you go to bed?"

"If you do find out, you will let us know right away?" asked Martha eagerly. I'd never seen her like this before. The other three were nodding in agreement.

"Would a message do?" Mel said. "Then if you're asleep it won't disturb you."

With that agreed, we all left, leaving the extra settees and chairs in my room.

When we got to Mr Hobson's office, there was no need to knock, as his door was wide open. However, there was no sign of Mr Moore.

"Have a seat," Mr Hobson said, ushering us in. "Mr Moore isn't able to make this chat, but don't worry, I'll update him."

I think we all breathed a sigh of relief, as we wouldn't have to repeat ourselves.

"Before we get going, I wanted to thank you all for your levelheadedness over the last few days. Field trips are always challenging, but this one was even more so."

I shrugged my shoulders, not knowing what else to say. The others must have felt the same as they did the same.

Since I'd called Mr Hobson, I thought I better be the one to explain, "We were wondering if there is an exchange program between the two schools? I mean, is there a way of students swapping between schools if they want?"

The ends of Mr Hobson's mouth twitched a bit, as if he was trying to suppress a smile. "Is this for you four? You want to swap schools?"

"No, Jessica and Sam came to see me and Helen. Erika and Martha saw Melissa and James. As year heads we chatted about it, but thought it was best to talk to you, as it would be you who would either agree or not."

"Very true," agreed Mr Hobson. "Do any of you have any objections?"

We all shook our heads.

"Excellent. Their support staff doesn't either, so consider it done."

"You knew about this already?" Helen asked in surprise.

"We suspected something like this might happen. However, we weren't going to say anything until we were approached."

"Is Mr Moore okay with this?" asked Mel.

"Sorry?"

"I mean, with Erika moving to Hayfield."

"It will be easier for Erika. Mr Moore knew it was hard for her going back to America. He was the one who first mentioned that she might want to stay. Since he has a personal interest in the subject, he requested that he only be brought in if this wasn't what you wanted to discuss."

"Is he okay?" Mel asked. It was a slightly different meaning than before. There was a tinge of concern in her voice and I realised what she was asking. This wasn't like when the children start school and the parents have no idea. Mr Moore would be painfully aware that instead of having the privilege of seeing his daughter for the next few years, he now only had a few days.

"It is hard on him, though he knew what would happen when Erika was offered a place at Immigration Manor." Mr Hobson paused, and we waited patiently for him to continue. "I thank you for your concern, but I think it would be best for you not to pursue this point further. It would also be best for you not to remind Erika of this either, though from what I've seen, she will understand the implication tomorrow when her euphoria has diminished. I will announce the exchange tomorrow at breakfast. The official change in their status will occur on Friday morning. Is that okay?"

We all nodded, dazed at how quickly things were sorted. Helen and Michelle sent the text messages advising them it was all agreed. Since there was nothing else to discuss with Mr Hobson, we were soon back in our rooms and fast asleep.

* * *

Tuesday 3rd January 2006

"Hello," I said sleepily as I answered my ringing PDA. It was starting to sound insistent.

"Are you thinking of joining us for breakfast?" enquired Jill.

When I saw the time, I jumped out of bed. "We'll be down in a few minutes."

"Helen, wake up!"

"Let me sleep," she moaned, turning over.

"Breakfast is in fifteen minutes."

What Helen said can't be repeated, but she was straight out of bed and into her shower. I don't think I'd ever seen Helen shower and dress as quickly as she did. We made it downstairs just as the rest of the year was about to leave the common room.

"What kept you?" laughed Jill.

"We slept through the alarm," I panted. I hope we'd calmed down so it didn't get noticed we'd been running inside the school. I'm not sure which punishment would be worse, late for breakfast or running in the school.

"Ah, you're here," said Mel. "We were waiting for you before we mentioned last night."

"Okay everyone," I called. "A reminder for all from Hayfield, if you haven't voted there is only five minutes left. We also have two important updates. The first update is that Martha and Erika asked if they can join Hayfield Hall, which Mr Hobson approved."

There was a sudden noise as everyone started talking about it.

"The other update," started Jamie, which calmed everyone down, "is that Sam and Jessica requested joining Immigration Manor, which Mr Moore approved."

The chatter started again, which was only broken by Lewis reminding us that it was breakfast time. We weren't the last ones into the dining room, which was a relief. As usual, year-B was the last to arrive.

"I have a few announcements," said Mr Hobson, standing up. "As you have probably all heard, our guests go home on Friday. As a result, lessons will resume later that morning. Seeing our friends from Immigration Manor leave will be a very sad, but as they say, all good things must come to an end."

He paused and looked around at the faces looking at him. "No, that isn't quite right; four students have asked to take part in a revolutionary school exchange. I am pleased to announce that from Friday, Martha and Erika will be joining Hayfield Hall, while Jessica, along with Sam, will be leaving for Immigration Manor. This exchange will last a year, at which time it will be reviewed. If everybody is happy, then it will last longer. One final bit of news, Edith Covington will be staying at Hayfield for a few extra weeks. Any questions? ... Yes Stacy?"

"Do you have the vote result?"

"Yes, the results will be given to year leaders after breakfast. You'll then have time to talk about it in a more comfortable setting. Anything more? No? Then enjoy your breakfast."

With Edith being here a few extra weeks, I knew that our issues weren't going to be over quickly, but it was nice that she'll be here for us.

Over breakfast there was a lot of excited chatter. Immigration Manor students were telling Sam and Jessica all about the school, its grounds and what facilities it had. The hot tub sounded great. The official change of school might not happen until Friday morning, but as the breakfast drew to a close, it was as if it had already happened.

With breakfast finished, we prepared to go back to the common room. No results had yet appeared Helen's PDA or mine. As we were getting up, Andy came across and handed Helen an envelope. When she saw Andy, Helen gave a small yelp, but quickly calmed down. I was relieved that it wasn't a more serious reaction, like she had with me yesterday.

"I'm sorry," said Andy, looking mortified.

"I'm okay," Helen reassured him after taking some slow breaths. "A small flashback, but Edith said they should fade."

"Why are you seeing Edith and not Rachel?" queried Paula.

"Because Edith specialises in gun related trauma."

"Ah, so that's why Edith is staying longer," said Phil. "I hope you get better quickly, because we're all going to miss her at The Manor."

That got a friendly punch in the arm and a few laughs.

"Watch out if you're naughty, though. She can be one firm 'mother' then," Phil continued, obviously speaking from experience.

"Not violent or anything?" Helen queried, sounding alarmed.

"Duh, don't be silly. I don't think she has a violent bone in her body. It's just the look of total disappointment that gets me the most. But when you need help, she's always there and when something goes really well, there isn't a better person. I remember when I passed Algebra she was so proud of me."

There were lots of nods from others from Immigration Manor, like they understood what Phil was talking about. Perhaps the longer we spend at the school, the better we will get on with the staff.

"You think of them like your parents?" Helen asked.

"No, it's not like that at all," joined in Wesley. "They'll never replace our families. It's more like an extension. I suppose they seem more like foster parents. They might not have given birth to us, but it doesn't stop them from caring about us, or trying to bring us up in the right way."

That was the most amazing bit of speech. I'd never thought of it like that. They only person I knew that had been fostered was Renee, and she never talked about it. I only knew that because of my chats with Dan when I'd mentioned how she always looked sad when people talked about their past. I didn't feel I could ask Dan, as it wasn't his story to tell, and I wouldn't want him to break a confidence. Study partners often told each other things they wouldn't ever want to tell someone else. What I found strange, was that neither she nor Dan was transgendered, though Sophia seemed to be around a lot more than Dan. Since neither was homosexual, I wondered what had brought them to the school's attention. They were very good at organising things, and I know they'd been involved with some of the logistics when we went away. Perhaps they had some other hidden talents I wasn't aware of yet.

Helen didn't open the envelope until we were in the year's common room with the door securely shut. We all stood round Helen, who carefully opened the envelope.

"By a sizable majority, we are going to Tehran, and we are taking the Alpha team with us."

"I guess that means we're off the hook," joked Jamie.

"Does anybody have an issue with the result that they want to discuss?" Helen asked. Nobody said they did, or would speak to her or me later in private.

"I better-" I was interrupted by a knock on the door, which Sam answered.


Readers, Please Remember to Leave a Comment

Want to comment but don't want to open an account?
Anyone can log in as Guest Reader -- password topshelf to leave a comment.

up
302 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

One thing to say.

Hi karen. I have only one thing to say to you. I love you. I love you. I love you.I love you.
Another fantastic chapter karen. Getting a new chapter for this story is as good as getting a 3 day weekend from work. I will miss sam and jessica. I just wonder what plot twists this will add to the story.

Keep up the great work.

Jessica Marie

New Education 48

Hi

Thanks, I have part 48 ready to post - do I post it now or wait until Thursday?

Hugs

Karen

If it is ready to go...

Karen,

...I say post it now. I love this story (and universe) and am always waiting for the next chapter, amongst many others here, including my non T* room mate. (Penny, Annette are you both paying attention? Hint, hint, hint.) So if it's been to your editor(s) and is ready to go; post it now, please.

This is one of my must read stories, my only complaint is the wait between chapters. *sigh* I guess you can't have everything.

Arwen

Well, I Wonder One Thing,

What trouble will Matilda get into now? I think that she will be missed, although she just might get into trouble via the internet with the Hall.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Ok, I'll ask publicly as well.

Hope Eternal Reigns's picture

Hey Karen,

Great chapter dear. But, when will we hear Sam's story? If Sam is off to Utah, Friday, will we have to wait a whole year?

I'm sure I'm not the only one who wishes to know.

with love,

Hope

with love,

Hope

Once in a while I bare my soul, more often my soles bear me.

re: Sam

Hi

I know I can seem a bit cruel at times, but hopefully I'm not that cruel. I will reveal Sam's secret but in a roundabout way. If you haven't read Penny's series now, then I would do so, or it might not make sense.

Hugs

Karen

re: Sam

Hi

I know I can seem a bit cruel at times, but hopefully I'm not that cruel. I will reveal Sam's secret but in a roundabout way. If you haven't read Penny's series now, then I would do so, or it might not make sense.

Hugs

Karen

very interesting

Makes you wonder if Matilda will try and keep an account on the local machines or leave some access for herself when she leaves. She does seem to have something similar with the manor's computers as she did use those iirc in hacking something in the UK.

Also makes you wonder with the attitudes of the Arabs what problems/issues they will encounter even though they are visitors to the country.

A knock at the door...

I've seen stories start that way... BTW - Nice to see you keeping up with this... :-)

 
There was a knock at the door. With some trepidation, I went over. I took a breath, and opened it, to discover...
 

Okay... Enough silliness.

I'm wondering if we'll find out what Sam's issue is in a short written by you (but taking place at the Manor) or by Penny... If it's Penny, I wonder how much will have happened in the next 30 chapters there... (Oh, my... and how long we'll have to wait to find out.) *sighs* You keep hinting at this, and now, you hide Sam from us. Well, there's a few more days that something could come out.

Either way, Sam's a good kid. Jessica and her study partner will be missed.

It'll be interesting to see how you handle the orchestra, loosing two players, and getting a pair of singers to replace them. I wonder if Erika or Martha play instruments and how they'll work out in the Orchestra. At least they read music... They can Learn - even if they can only act as "gofers" for the next concert. No, they can learn some percussion too. Some parts are fairly easy, and just learning ONE bit could be done in a few months. Well, I look forward to this as well.

I'm SURE other students at the school will be "talking" to the various Beta members and asking questions... It'd be interesting to see how they're taking what happened, and what they want to know. it'd be interesting to know if any of the kids have any experiences that might relate (I hope not) or such.

Looking forward to the sleep over too...

Thanks for a fun chapter. Hope for more soon!

Thanks,
Annette

OMG - I forgot all about the orchestra

Hope Eternal Reigns's picture

I would need to recheck to see what instruments Sam and Jessica played and if Erica and Martha were singers or members of the IM mini-orchestra. (If all that information is even in any of the stories.)

On the other hand, at least "A New Style of Education" is continuing on a fairly regular basis, unlike a certain OTHER 'Hayfield Hall' story I have heard rumours about. The 'Immigration Manor' story has also posted more frequently than that certain OTHER 'Hayfield Hall' story, NOT naming any names, you understand.

with love,

Hope

with love,

Hope

Once in a while I bare my soul, more often my soles bear me.

Well, since you're not naming names...

I will... And, as punishment, I think I'll postpone the next chapter and work on something else... (I says, as I go off and pouts). Maybe I should just let it sit unposted. There's the ticket.

Nah, I even got a little bit more done the other day... Still not going to proof chapter 13 and send it through the wringers until I've got 14 at least half drafted. (Though, I did write a bit on said other thing too, as well as posting something unrelated to this universe.) I don't promise any schedule though... Family comes first.

Lovely Surprise

I got to say that is a lovely surprise and I see why Wendy not having a say is helpful still I think that Jessica should have at least listen to Wendy as well, It would have bee the politest thing to do. I also have to agree with another fan of your stories What about Sam he she still hasn't said anything about his condition and he promised he would when he was ready and no one has pressure him into it and now he getting ready to go without saying anything that seems totally unfair that he can get away with that. At the minium he should tell the year leaders and then let them decide how they proceed with leting the others know about it.

Actually,

if you go back a few chapters (before the trip to Russia), you'll see that Sam DID tell his/her yearmates. It's just us READERS that don't know! Frustrating, isn't it.

Student exchange

Jamie Lee's picture

Swapping students for a year, to start, sounds like a good idea. But how will each pair of students fit in with the new school?

Erika has lived in England so she will feel at home. What about Martha, will she feel the same after a few months?

And how about Sam and Jessica? They both seem eager, will they fit in? How about after a few months, when the happy feeling being in a different country wears off?

It was said by a wide margin they're still going to Tehran. What about those students who voted not to go? Won't they be upset the school is still going? Might some cause problems because they're frightened another Russia will happen?

And if the leak isn't found before they go?

Others have feelings too.

Lots of things to like

gillian1968's picture

I enjoyed the current series so much that I went back to read this story and the Concrete Cows for background.

You do a great job of developing the character relationships for such a large group of characters.

Foster care is such a mixed bag here in the U.S. and elsewhere no doubt. There are some wonderful people doing it. I had a friend in church about 20 years ago who was a foster parent, but she only fostered 2 or 3 at most at one time. And in the summers she gave historical tours in England and helped repair dry stone walls!

But there are a lot of group homes that are like something out of Oliver Twist.

During the Moscow scenes I was visualizing Jason Bourne escaping from Moscow.

Now I’m thinking of Argo.

Gillian Cairns