A New Style of Education - Part 15

Printer-friendly version
Synopsis:

Will the Barnes parents find Wendy and Jessica? A school treasure hunt with a twist and a very familiar building.

Story:

A New Style of Education

by Karen Page

Part 15

"Yes, it's the Barnes's," said Stacy, who had a view of the entrance. "It is a good job that we're all sticking to speaking French. It should confuse them a bit."

The Barnes's were seated near our table, so we were able to hear what they said. "Are you sure this is where she said they would be?" asked Mr Barnes.

"She said to be at Annette's diner and they would be there."

"There just appears to be a lot of French schoolchildren. There is no sign of our two."

"Never mind, dear. You'll have to tell him in that letter."

During the meal Mr Barnes got up to go to the toilet. He walked right past Wendy and Jessica and he didn't notice them. He was looking for two boys not two girls, who looked nothing like boys dressed as girls. Wendy and Jessica were so distracted with each others stories of their childhood together, that neither of them noticed their parents.

Even though we had started eating before the Barnes, we seemed to take more time over our meals. We chatted away and delayed desert while we all decided what we wanted. It takes time for so many children to make up their minds. Especially when people like Helen was deciding to watch her weight.

"I'm sure I won't fit into my concert dress," she moaned.

"Don't fret," I said. "We've done so much walking today that you won't have put any weight on. In fact it will probably be falling off your slim, gorgeous body."

"Stop it," said Helen blushing.

"Stop what?" I said, trying to sound innocent. "I'm only speaking the truth. Sometimes you act a bit like a male, but in the way you look after yourself, there is nothing masculine about that. You take good care of yourself, your body is stunning, your hair is shiny and radiant, and your eyes just sparkle with the joys of the day."

"It's a good job they have Anna and Jill share the same bedroom," commented Fran. "I worry for poor Jayne's virtue. It must be bad enough seeing Jayne all dolled up like her dreams, but then to make such comments would send any woman over the top."

Helen was trying to say something, but she couldn't. Her face was red with embarrassment and I think she was about to burst.

"Helen," said Brenda. "Why don't we go visit the toilet?"

"Huh?"

"Helen, go with Brenda," I ordered, moving out of the way so she could slide out from behind the table.

"Will she be okay?" I asked Stacy as Ingrid and Fran both disappeared to chat with some friends in year two.

"She will be, once she's spoken with Brenda. She's fancied you for years and worried that she thought of you as a girl. Now you are dressed as her fantasies, and making such sweet sounding words, she wants more."

"More?"

"More," she said, wiggling her thinly arched eyebrows.

"But I can't," I almost screamed, realising what Stacy was implying. "Anyway, it's against the rules."

"You won't be the first one to break that rule," said Stacy. Then quietly and gently asked, "But that isn't your problem, is it?"

"No," I said quietly, tears filling my eyes, ashamed of my reaction.

"Let's go for a walk, so that we can talk about this privately," suggested Stacy, rising from the red cushioned bench.

As we walked towards the entrance, we passed Rachel who was chatting away with Mr Hobson. "We're just going for a personal chat," informed Stacy. "I'll drop Jayne off when we are finished."

Rachel's raised her eyebrows when she saw my pained face, but didn't say anything. Mr Hobson just nodded his head and said, "Take care and if you need longer, then take it. I got the report back on the information, the two mailboxes were clean. More searches are taking place."

"Do you see the couple over there, with the two young children?" I asked, trying to sound coherent. "That's Mr and Mrs Barnes. They came in here because they had been tipped that their children would be in here. Wendy and Jessica haven't been alone and couldn't have tipped them off."

"Thanks," replied Mr Hobson thoughtfully. "This certainly changes things."

As we walked into the warm evening air, Stacy steered us towards her hotel. In her room she ushered me to a small settee.

"Why are you doing this?" I asked. "Why did you ask such personal questions at the diner?"

"Because you two are special," replied Stacy, passing me a glass of water. "You both took charge this morning; protecting, not just Jessica and Wendy, but the whole school. Nobody asked you to do what you did, but you did it on your own accord. Actions like that are why you were made the offer you were. I could've got Rachel to see you, but the issue developed now, so we are dealing with it. You implied that the rules were a secondary issue. That isn't something you would come to your own conclusion without Rachel forcing you to examine your emotions. So tell me about it. It won't go further than me and Brenda."

"I feel sick when I get big," I said, not wanting to be here or have this conversation.

"Is that because you don't like Helen?"

"No, I love Helen."

"Do you hate your body?"

"I don't know. I haven't had any issues dressing as Jayne but I never had any personal issues as David. Well apart from that one reaction."

"I see," said Stacy. "Do you prefer being Jayne or David?"

"The clothes don't make any difference," I said, after a few moments thought. "I didn't need much help to be passable as Jayne. It seemed I walked and talked a lot like Jayne, even when I was David. No wonder I had a hard time at school."

"After excitement like today, Brenda gets very horny," shared Stacy. "I saw the same look in Helen's face that I sometimes see in Brenda's."

"So what do we do? I'm not going to have sex, I don't feel ready."

"I'm not telling you to have sex with Helen, and as you said, it's against the school rules as well as being against the law. Brenda is having a chat with Helen and hopefully she'll look at your point of view instead of letting her emotions override her sensitivity to you. You also have to look deeper into your feelings about yourself. You don't like a certain reaction of your body, for some reason. Now that might be due to upbringing, fear, shock or possibly some other reason."

"Could it be because subconsciously I'm mentally a girl?"

"It could be, only you know what you want. It's probably too early to tell as you haven't had the chance to explore your feelings. If you had the opportunity to be David or Jayne, which would it be?"

"Well Helen seems to prefer Jayne-"

"That is not a good reason," interrupted Stacy. "You can't decide on the basis of what someone else wants. What do YOU want for yourself? This is one decision that you have to be very selfish about. If others say you are being selfish over it, then you are making the decision in the correct way."

"I'd like to stay as David."

"Why?" pounced Stacy, "because it's easier? Because it's something you've always been? Because you think that's what your parents want?"

"I suppose. I just don't know," I answered near tears.

"Now that's more of a truthful answer," said Stacy, putting her arms around me. "It hurts more as well, doesn't it?"

"I'm just so frightened," I said, a few tears leaking from my sore eyes against my will.

"I know, but you aren't alone," reassured Stacy. "This is the prime reason you are at Hayfield Hall; not because of future employment, but because you need to learn about yourself in a safe and secure environment."

"So what do I do about Helen?" I said, calming down a little.

"You talk to each other. She will understand that you have issues that you need to resolve. I was lucky that I already knew I wanted to be a girl."

"Is it worth it?"

"Is what worth it?"

"Being a girl, all the hassle you are going through?"

"For me it isn't hassle. It is something I need to do to become happy with myself. I don't feel I have any choice. You saw what Jessica was like when she thought that she might stay Richard for the rest of her life. Imagine what it is like for children without a supportive environment?"

"It must be awful," I sighed.

"For some it is," she agreed. "Now, are you ready to go back to your hotel room?"

"I think so," I replied.

As we walked slowly towards the Newport Bay hotel I asked, "Jill was worried that it was Julia doing the leaking."

"It's a possibility," replied Stacy, "but I don't think it is. There are too many things amiss."

"So do you have any clues?"

"So far a blank has been drawn. The person involved will be caught."

"Jill is having a few issues," I commented. "It is a big strain on her, seeing Julia every day is like the separation is being rubbed into her face. She sees her father and it is a constant reminder that she has lost her family for the second time. She doesn't feel she can send an email to Julia, as it wouldn't have the same distance as the other students do."

"What about Beth?"

"I'm not sure if she writes to Beth. From something Anna said, Beth appears to have taken it very hard. She lost her mother. Now she doesn't see her brother any more and Julia isn't around much. She might live with Anna's parents, but she was never as close as Jill was."

"How is she coping?"

"I've not had a chance to speak with Anna," I confessed. "She seems okay, but how much is actually a front, I've no idea."

"It's a very difficult situation. It can't be seen that Jill is being treated any differently from any other student. However, it seems the impact is greater than anyone expected. In the short term, I'll pass it on to Rachel, so she can talk about it with Jill over a longer period of time. Also, I think it might be a good idea if Rachel speaks with Julia, as she is probably having a hard time too. For a longer term solution, that is up to Mr Hobson."

"I just want Jill to be okay," I said weakly, not having thought of the impact on Julia.

"Don't we all," said Stacy as we walked into the hotel lobby. "This looks like a great hotel."

"It's very comfortable," I replied. "Not quite as grand as yours, but very nice. This is the first time that I've ever been away."

"Ever?"

"Yep. My parents were quite poor, so we didn't have holidays."

"Its little details like that, which are never on student records," Stacy sighed, looking thoughtful. "What about the others in the year."

"Oh, they've all been away before. I think they've all been abroad as well."

"Well, there is Helen with Brenda," pointed out Stacy. "Thank you for today and I hope you have fun in the competition tomorrow."

"Aren't you taking part?"

"No, since it's going off the park area, each pair of students will need to be accompanied by a teacher. There are seventeen pairs of students in years one to four and sixteen teachers and helpers. Year five students will accompany some students. That leaves some of the teachers to monitor the competition and perhaps prepare for other things."

"Are you okay Helen?" I asked as we got within talking distance.

"Oh Jayne, I'm so sorry," said Helen, jumping up and giving me a hug.

"Sorry? What for?"

"For letting my hormones think for me and not thinking how you would feel."

"You didn't do anything," I protested, Helen's hug crushing my ribs.

Helen must have heard my laboured breath and let me go.

"No, but that was only because Brenda took me to one side and talked to me. I'd forgotten that you got ill under certain circumstances."

"We have both learned today, we need to talk to each other more. I doubt any relationship, no matter how well suited, will work unless both people tell each other how they feel. Helen, I love you so much that it pains me to have that problem."

"I know you love me. I love you too. Look, we're only thirteen so why worry about it now."

With that, Stacy and Brenda sent us to bed. I turned around to see them disappear out of the hotel door, their arms around each other, unashamed to be seen as two lesbian lovers.

* * *

"Everyone, listen up," said Mr Hobson, above the excited chat of the students. "Year five students have volunteered to accompany year one and some year two students. Each set of students will be set off in ten-minute intervals. You can go wherever you need to, to get the items. Nobody should need to leave the Paris area. It won't be the first pair back, but the one that is the quickest. Since each year has different tasks, I will be setting four pairs off at once. The most important thing is, no running. This is supposed to be a safe competition. I don't want anybody hurting themselves."

"What level of help can the person accompanying us give?" asked Lewis.

"They can't help at all with the competition. So no asking them to help, it will only embarrass them to have to refuse. They are there to make sure you're safe."

"Can I have Helen, Jayne and Stacy; Fran, Ingrid and Peter; Tim, Andrea and Mrs Russell; and Kevin, Susan and Dr Thompson."

"Which one?" simultaneously asked Becky and Keith.

"Oh sorry, Becky."

We all went up and were given a sealed envelope. Mr Hobson blew a whistle; our clock was running. Helen moved to one side and opened the envelope. We had to return with a figurine of Mickey Mouse, a pair of gardening gloves, and a picture of us outside a building where a hunchback used to ring a bell,

"I saw a leaflet explaining about Val d'Europe," I said. "They have a shopping area which should have the gloves. We can get the RER and then onto Paris for the photograph."

"Sounds good, lets go."

The RER station was just at the other side of the Disney Village, a stones throw from the entrance to Disney. Helen, whose French was slightly better than mine, ordered the tickets and we rushed onto the platform, just in time to catch the train.

"How far is it?" Helen asked.

"Next stop," I replied, remembering the information I'd read.

"Poor Fran and Ingrid were just behind us and missed the train," said Helen.

"Ouch, that's bad luck."

As the train trundled towards the destination, I said to Stacy, "Thank you for last night. It's nice to know that people are looking out for us."

Stacy smiled, "Your happiness is enough thanks."

"Who looks after you and Brenda though?"

"Oh, the rest of year five do a jolly good job," she replied. "Rachel also keeps a special eye open. She knows that the head girl is a hard position. Next year will be the first time that nobody from year five will be a beta person. That is going to cause some headaches for the lead beta couple."

"Unless they appoint someone from the current year four to replace you," I stated.

"I doubt it," she said, "but you never know."

The train slowed down and we exited the train onto the platform, up the stairs and eventually onto the street. In the distance to our right, was our destination.

"Impressive," said Stacy. "Are you sure you haven't been here before?"

"Of course not," I replied. "As I said, I saw a leaflet about it. They probably don't have leaflets like that at your hotel, it's too flashy."

Inside the shopping mall, it was no different really from one in England. It had the usual mix of shops including a small hypermarket. Well perhaps that wouldn't have been in an English mall. We found the gloves and Helen paid. One item down and two to go.

"I wonder how the others are getting on," pondered Helen, pulling out her PDA.

"Helen, they have stopped other students seeing where each other are," informed Stacy. "It stops them cheating."

"Oh well, it was worth a try."

"We can get the figurine in Disney," I said. "It just leaves the picture."

We started to leave the mall, when I saw a photograph shop with a curious sign in the window. "Hang on," I said to Helen and Stacy. "What does the rule exactly say regarding the photograph?"

Helen rummaged in her bag and pulled out the instructions, "We have to have a picture of us outside a building where a hunchback used to ring a bell."

"Well that is presumably Notre Dame. It doesn't say we have to go there, just that we have a picture of us outside the building."

"So how are we going to do that without going there?"

"Read that sign in the photographer's window."

"Do you think that will work?" she asked as she finished translating the text. They superimposed pictures of people on places around the world.

"It will only delay us a few minutes to find out," I laughed.

"I saw your notice in the window," I started. "Can you do us outside Notre Dame?"

"Yes," he replied. "But why not somewhere more exotic such as the Pyramids?"

"Notre Dame," I insisted.

The man just shrugged and had us stand in front of a blue screen. We all smiled and the photo was taken. After parting with thirty Euro, which I thought was a rip-off, we had our photograph.

"I don't think this is what Mr Hobson had in mind," she laughed, "but it certainly complies with the competition. It didn't say we actually had to go there."

As we waited for the RER back to Disney, a train came through, going towards Paris. We spotted Paula, Emma and Andy on the train. Stacy saw Andy notice us and gave a small wave. Andy smiled but didn't give any other response, not wanting to give a clue to Paula and Emma.

"There is a Disney shop in the Disney Village," I remarked as we got off the train.

It took us a while to find what we wanted, but we found a rather nice seven centimetre tall figurine of Mickey waving.

"Having trouble?" asked Mr Hobson, as we approached him.

"Not at all," Helen replied. "We've finished."

"Already?" he asked incredulously.

Helen took off her backpack and we presented our head teacher with the items. He pressed a few buttons on his PDA and stopped our clock.

"I've got to admit that you have all the items, but I am very suspicious. It is impossible for you to get all the way to Notre Dame in that time, let alone get back."

"You didn't say we had to GO to Notre Dame," I complained. "We have a picture with us outside the building. There was a photograph shop which superimposes people in front of places of interest."

"I've got to admit that was a most novel answer," he laughed. "It certainly does the trick. I'll give you extra credit for ingenuity. I doubt anybody will get back in the time you set."

"How goes the search for the leak?" I asked after making sure we were alone.

"We have ruled out any of the students. We did a search and nothing left through official channels."

"It doesn't make sense for one of the teachers to be involved."

"No it doesn't, but at the moment I have no other answer. Now it's going to be a while before others get back, so I have a task for you. I'd like you to be familiar with the area around the concert hall. Especially to the south."

"Of course, sir," replied Stacy. "We shall probably eat out, tonight."

"I'll get Andy to give you a ring later," offered Mr Hobson. "If he isn't back too late, it might be nice if he joined you for the meal."

"I'll meet you at the station," said Stacy to Helen and me. "I'd change into something slightly smarter and also grab a light jacket. It is warm now, but it will cool off this evening. Make sure you have some of your emergency money with you, just in case we get separated. I'll pay for most things, but if you do use any you must tally it up separately from the rest."

"How smart?"

"Not too smart, but we might have a nice meal and they won't let us in if we are in trainers."

I'd not seen trainers until just before the field trip. I bet they would disappear afterwards.

"Okay," I said, starting to understand what was being talked about. "See you in about thirty minutes."

"This is something a bit different," I said to Helen as we walked towards our hotel.

"Yeah," replied Helen. "Why are we doing it though?"

"I suppose just in case something goes wrong," I pondered. "We will then know where to go and what to avoid."

"You expect things to go wrong?"

"No, but it is best to be prepared. Stacy said that things have never gone wrong before, but you can never tell what might occur."

Thirty minutes later, we met Stacy at the train station. We were all decked out like tourists and Stacy even had a camera.

"I was going to do this tomorrow," said Stacy. "At least doing it today, I will be able to spend more time with my friends."

"You all seem to get on really well," I commented. "How does you being head girl affect the time you can spend with them?"

"It can put a strain on things slightly," she said after some thought, "but they understand and I make an effort to do things with them. I'm going to be sad when the year ends and we move apart. I've spent four years with them all, and they are like family."

"Won't you keep in touch with them?" I asked.

"Oh sure, but it won't be the same."

"So where are we going?"

"The 9th district town hall."

"What?!"

"The town hall houses the Rossini Room, which is where we will be playing. It isn't as large as the Mogador Theatre, but you wouldn't have played to so many people. Even with this venue we were sold out within two weeks of tickets going on sale."

"You're kidding?" gasped Helen. "Most concerts when we were at school were watched by family."

"You forget that our school has a reputation abroad for excellent music. It's just not heard of in the UK. Okay, we will catch the RER and get off at the Auber station. It will be just over a kilometre from there to the town hall."

We spent the afternoon walking around the area the concert was going to be. As we passed a row of buildings, one stood out as familiar, it was the building we'd met in as the beta team.

"I see the concert hall was chosen for another reason," I said, as we went round the corner."

"You only saw the outside once before and it wasn't well lit," complained Stacy.

"I suspected the reason for the wander," I smiled. "For some reason the design stuck in my mind."

"Did you recognise it?" Stacy asked Helen.

"No," replied Helen. "But I've not been one to live in fear and observe everything to try to avoid being punched. To be honest, I'm glad I didn't develop that skill, I know Jayne still thinks about those times."

I kept quiet, not wanting to say anything to deny or agree. I still had some male pride left. However, Stacy didn't give me room to manoeuvre.

"I still get the occasional nightmare," she quietly said, her voice tinged with sadness.

"Oh Stacy," I said, giving her a hug. "After all this time?"

"They aren't like they were and Andy helps. It took a long time before I accepted Andy instead of Brenda in the same bed."

"And there was me, trying to be brave," I said. "Yes, I still have the occasional nightmare that I end up being beaten-up for not staying alert."

At that point, I made a silent resolution to myself never to hide things like that. It could only hurt others and didn't really help me. I'm sure my nightmares would be worse if I didn't sleep with Helen. When I started to have one, she was always there with her arms round me. I'd never told her what was happening, but it seemed she knew.

Let's have a drink, I said, breaking the moody silence. "I could do with a nice hot chocolate."

"Mmm, yes," smiled Stacy. "That sounds just the thing."

We ended up sat outside a café in the square, overlooking the entrance to the Notre Dame. It was certainly more impressive than in the fake photograph.

Stacy's PDA went off and she smiled when she saw who it was, "Hi Darling," she said. "We are outside the Notre Dame, having a hot chocolate...No, we haven't had a cake, so if you hurry up you can have one when you get here. Don't forget to put on a jacket, it gets cool at night."

"So, what do you think of Paris?" I asked Helen.

"Great so far, but I've not seen anything. While we are in the centre, would it be possible for us to see inside Notre Dame and possibly see the Eiffel Tower?"

"I was going to suggest that," laughed Stacy. "Let's wait for Andy though. He would kill me if we saw it without him."

"I know I shouldn't ask this," I said taking another sip of chocolate, "but I'm confused. I've only seen you as Marcus during that Monday. However, Andy seems to be Brenda a lot more often."

"That's true," nodded Stacy. "In my mind there isn't a lot of difference, so I sometimes don't realise if it is Andy or Brenda. Andy isn't transgendered but a cross-dresser. Andy was born male and will probably die male. To Andy, getting dressed up as Brenda is just a bit of fun. He enjoys the thrill and excitement it gives and he likes to fool people."

"Sorry for asking," I said, feeling guilty that I had.

"Its fine," replied Stacy, leaning across and putting her hand on mine. "Andy won't mind that you know. You two have been very open about yourselves and we should be the same. You know my birth sex and it hasn't changed how you treat me. I doubt you will treat Andy or Brenda any different."

"Um, I've not told Helen," I confessed.

"Jayne, you know you shouldn't have any secrets between you," scolded Stacy, looking furiously at me. "You of all people should know that."

"Sorry," I said. "Helen, Stacy is transgendered. She is like Jessica and Emma."

"I'm afraid that I was prejudice," admitted Helen. "When we were to be waxed, I asked for you because I was worried about being seen in my underwear by Andy. I didn't think about what was underneath, but what was visible. It shouldn't have mattered to me who did the waxing."

"Is that why you asked to be done by Andy?" asked Stacy.

"I thought some of the girls might be nervous, so I offered. Anyway, I'd heard that Brenda was better than you at some beauty things."

Stacy burst out laughing. "That she is, but please don't remind her too often, or I'll never hear the end of it! Please excuse me, nature calls."

When Stacy disappeared into the café to use the toilet, Helen turned to me and said, "Okay, there's more, isn't there? You know what she meant when she said nightmares."

I proceeded to tell Helen the little that Stacy had told me, during the dash to get Jill and Anna. When Stacy reappeared, Helen, who was still upset at what I'd told her, jumped up and gave Stacy a big hug.

"Thank you," replied Stacy sombrely. "It's good to know that I've support of the few people that know. It's also nice that Jayne told you when I wasn't here."

By the time Andy arrived, we were all sedate again. The smile on Stacy's face grew as she saw her partner enter the square.

"Hi," he said giving Stacy a kiss on her lips.

He leaned across and gave Helen a kiss on her cheek. He looked at me and I gave a slight nod. I braced myself for the horror but it was nothing like I expected. He gave me a very gentle peck and it was over with.

"You can breathe again," giggled Helen.

"That was very brave," commented Andy.

"Stacy said yesterday that I don't know who I am. I know it isn't really the time to find out, but I never look a gift horse in the mouth. Anyway it isn't my first kiss; Keith Thompson kissed me after the rehearsal concert. Though that was unexpected and I consented to yours."

"Well be careful," said Stacy, her face slightly worried. "Freaking out on a field trip isn't good. The school wouldn't have let you come as Jayne if they thought there was any chance of that."

"What? You mean if I'd been upset, I could have come as David?"

"Don't you remember the first rule of the school; your safety. As Mr Hobson probably told you when you joined, the psychiatrist's can overrule anything at the school."

"I don't feel like freaking out," I said. "I'm not as unhappy about being Jayne as I thought I would be. My uncle thought it was fun, so I'm trying. When I get back to school, David will probably be back. Sorry Helen."

"I just want you to be happy," relied Helen, though I could hear the tinge of disappointment in her voice.

"Didn't someone say cake?" asked Andy, changing the subject.

After the cake was enjoyed, we spent the afternoon being tourists and seeing the sites. Paris certainly had some history and we didn't have enough time to even scratch the surface. I was quite disappointment to have missed the Louvre, but I'm sure I'll get another chance sometime.

After visiting the top of the Eiffel Tower, my stomach started to rumble. I looked at my watch and saw it was approaching six. We had been on the tourist trail for hours. "So where are we going to eat?" I asked.

"There is a lovely restaurant near the Sacré Coeur," said Stacy. "It has wonderful views of Paris. You can even see the Eiffel Tower in the distance."

"So it has nice views," commented Helen. "But what's the food like?"

"I don't think you will be disappointed. Jayne, you've never eaten in a restaurant before, will you be okay?"

"I'll try it," I smiled, my stomach getting those butterflies back.

"If you don't like it, when we get there, we will go somewhere else," offered Andy.

"Thanks," I replied.

"We could get the metro, but it only takes you to the bottom. The hill is quite steep, so why don't we get a taxi?"

After all the walking that we'd done today, I was glad to get in the taxi. Andy sat in the front, with the rest of us in the back. The traffic was a nightmare, but after twenty minutes we were being dropped off.

"I've never heard so many swear words," said Stacy.

"Is that what they were?" I asked. "We didn't cover those in lessons. The taxi driver certainly rode like a lunatic"

"Nor did we," laughed Stacy. "I blame Andy for corrupting me."

"Hey, I just like to understand the full details of a language," he replied, trying to sound pained at Stacy's comment.

"Can I have a table for four?" asked Andy as we went in.

"I'm sorry," said the Maitre d' in English, "but you don't look old enough to be able to pay."

Andy discreetly took out his wallet and showed the snotty man that he had enough for several meals.

"Very good, follow me."

"Not even an apology," I fumed quietly to Helen.

"I know, and he switched to English."

"Do you mind if we speak French," asked Andy, keeping in French. "I wouldn't want to appear ignorant in front of my friends."

"As you wish," he replied, giving us four menus with English translations.

Stacy, who spoke French with a French accent, spoke for the first time, "How dare you," she complained in a snooty French accent. "I don't speak this English language and you insult my heritage in giving me this filth."

"I'm sorry," he said quickly gathering the menus and returning with French ones.

Damn, I wish I'd got the English version. My knowledge of Haute Cuisine wasn't the best in the world.

Once our orders had been taken, we settled down to admire the view and later the food. Stacy smiled as she saw the look on my face as I ate.

"You like?"

"Oh yes," I replied, trying not to gush. I was so glad that the school had prepared me for proper food, rather than what my parents had concocted.

"This is food to die for," agreed Helen.

"Well don't get too used to eating in places like this," warned Stacy. "This was a treat for what you did yesterday. Also you need to have some experiences like this, just in case you need it in future life."

"I've never eaten anywhere so classy."

"This isn't that classy," laughed Andy. "You have that experience to come. This is just a very nice restaurant. I'm not wearing a suit, yes they frowned but they let us eat here. Some places we would need to be a lot more smartly dressed."

"The ones to watch out for are the ones without prices," informed Stacy.

"But how do you know how much things cost?"

"Only the rich eat there, as the price doesn't matter to them. Think of this as a stepping stone in your education, once you are used to this, you can move up the ladder."

"Education?"

"Education in life. Learning isn't just reading from books or in classrooms. Take today, you saw some wonderful sites and you learnt about the history of the time, when they were built, why they were built and things that were important about them. You could touch the walls of the Notre Dame, you experienced the wind and views from the top of the Eiffel Tower, and saw the majestic sight of the Arc de Triumph. These are things that you will remember and help your learning of French history. You learnt a lot more today than you would in a textbook"

"Yeah, we almost got ourselves killed trying to cross the road to the Arc de Triumph," agreed Helen.

"Yep, that we did," laughed Stacy. "I bet you will remember the chaos of the French road system and how mad their drivers are."

"Have you seen the time," asked Andy to Stacy after we'd finished our coffees.

"Yes, I suppose we better head on back, we have rehearsals tomorrow. We don't want Mr Hobson sending the teachers after us. I wouldn't want a repeat of what happened two years ago."

Notes:

Readers, Please Remember to Leave a Comment

up
352 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Paris is indeed an

Paris is indeed an interesting city. It is everything you will hear people talk about. From glitzy to dirty, to historic to modern, high brow to Left Bank. The City of Lights, which I discovered meant you do not drive with your headlights on (at least back in the 1960's and 70's) because the city is totally lit up at night.
Stacy is correct in telling Jayne and Helen they are getting a life education and not just something from books or a classroom. J-Lynn

Jayne And Company Impress Hobson

by their ingenuity in the snipe hunt. The leak as yet to be found. Can it be M16 causing the upset? Could M16 seek to disrupt the school for some unknown benefit? And Jill's trauma over not being able to truly see her "DAD Julia needs to be corrected before she suicide's over it. Good thing Becky, her sister is with Anna's parents. Hopefully they can join the school staff, then Becky can see Jill again.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Care and care alike

Jamie Lee's picture

They go from a school where caring is not part of the job description, and it's made physically clear that they're looking better than others is not appreciated. To a school were caring IS the job description and class work will be done only after the students mental well being is handled first.

So, the new students ask, what's the catch? What's with all the questions about how they feel? Can those people be trusted, sense no one at their other school could be trusted without wanting something in return.

Trusting others, students and staff, was the hardest thing they had to overcome. Their next hardest was trusting others with their darkest, hidden, secrets. Those secrets which caused most to try and become invisible at their old school.

David was self taught in becoming observant in order to keep from being taught physical lessons by those to lazy to do better themselves. A person can be taught that skill and become proficient in that activity. But when it means the difference between being beat up and staying physically healthy, that person observes as second nature. And with Jayne's second nature observation skills, having her and Helen go with Stacy and Andy was an obvious decision. While Stacy and Andy would notice the main details, Jayne would notice the minute details.

Others have feelings too.

Memories

Thank you for reminding me of my visits to Paris. It is both a beautiful and ugly city. I also crossed to the Arc de Triumph by crossing the circle. What a rush; talk about being scared. I found, when we started to leave, that there are underground passages. No wonder all the drivers were blowing their horns :).

re: Memories

As with any large city there are nice areas and ugly areas. I remember crossing that mad road to get to the Arc de Triumph myself - the drivers were mad.

I hope you enjoy the rest of the story

Hugs

Karen

Thanks for ANSoE - Part 15

chrisl's picture

Hi Karen, lovely story, I especially like the friendships, the support given and the way repect for diversity is being taught.
The plot is fun as well :)
ThankYou and a Hug, Christine.

ANSOE

Ach when are we gonna see the leak. You leave us hanging. Another fine story Karen.

Love,

Paula

When the lines between reality and fantasy blur, true magic can begin.

Paula

Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.

The Coda
Chapterhouse: Dune

ANSoE - 15

Karen
A wonderful chapter. The interaction and love for one another that is shown almost makes me jealous.

Waiting on pins and needles for the next chapter.

Hugs & Giggles to all
Penny

New Style of Education

Hi Karen
I really liked this chapter alot. Your style of writing is excellent. You always know how to leave us hanging and wanting more. I just wish we could have read where who the leak is, I guess you might tell us in the next chapter. Oh well. Keep up the excellent writing.

Sincerley,
John (dooey52)

Friendship, love and care at its best

Hi Karen,

finaly the next chapter.
I was looking almost dayly and its just as good as the others.
I can only agree with the other comments her. Your writing style is great and it makes me feel I' part of the school. As I know your characters in real live. The love and care displayed just makes one want to be part of that greatgroup of people.
Please continue soon

thanks and big hugs

Holly

ANSoE 15

another fine chapter.well done so far.i love your discription of paris and how you use it in your storyplot.good research!
can' wait to see the next chapter.
i confirm with the other comments,i feal like a member of this school too.
go on!
love & huggs,
SIDONIE