Girlwind : 01

Printer-friendly version

"NNNNNNO!"

"Don't you talk to your mother that way, young lady!"

"I is being doing what is bestest, and you is being a dummyhead!"

"Okay, don't talk to ME that way, either."

"Hmph!"

Girlwind
The Story of an Irresistable Force
In a Life of Immovable Objects

by Edeyn Hannah Blackeney


When she was 3, her parents said she was 'precocious' as she read through the books in the family library. When she was 7, her older sister said she was 'unacceptable' as she scared away date after date. When she was 11, her therapist said she was 'traumatized' by the death of her father and mother in the car accident. When she was 15, her teachers said she was 'unsettling' from the way she stared and never said a word in class.

Now, she's 19, and she's aware of all of these things. And she is the ultimate problem solver.


Katarina Scroggs looked at her watch and grimaced. Stupid traffic. Late picking her up is just not a good thing. She reached for her blackberry and dialed.

"H'lo?"

"Carter!"

"Hey, Kat, just cleaning up here, I'm not going to be late tonight!"

"No, but I am. Look, I'll be there shortly, but there's an accident on the highway, and..."

"Say no more, just know that the Chee-tos and Mountain Dew are on you. I'll get her, you go grocery instead. See you in about, what, an hour?"

"Call it ninety minutes, and apologize to her for me."

She hung up and grinned.


"I don't care if it's supposed to be that way, Emily, I don't like it!"

Emily covered her mouth with her hand.

"You sure you think you're gay, Jeff? I mean, aren't gay boys supposed to have some rudimentary sense of style?"

"Augh! Nevermind. I dunno, who knows, I may end up being straight, but if you're the kind of girl I have to pick from, Sis, I think being gay is safer. C'mon, we gotta go, or we'll be late. Grab the bag, I'll go get our bikes."


Judge Billings sat in front of the cozy house, wondering whether it was wiser to sit in the car and wait, or enjoy the last of the warm Autumn weather before Winter by sitting on the porch.

Too nice to sit here.

He opened the car door, stepped out, and reached into the back seat to retrieve the folder, pencilcase and purple cloth bag with the gold lettering and pull string. It clacked comfortingly as he shook it with a grin.

He started up the sidewalk and saw a pair of bicycles swoop around the corner.

"Jeff! Emily!" he called out in greeting to the kids.

"Hey, Randolph," said Jeff as he came to a stop and just dropped the bike over on its side.

Emily sighed, parked hers properly with the kickstand between the garage and house, and did the same with his.

"Any idea when the others will get here, kids?"

They shook their heads no and the three of them sat to chat while they waited.


The traffic had let up, but Carter was getting her, and the shopping hadn't taken long. 2 bags of Pretzels, 3 bags of Chee-tos, a cube of Mountain Dew, and of course... Gamer Treatsâ„¢ (aka Peanut Butter M&Ms).

So she was much faster than the ninety minutes she had feared -- and in fact only half of the hour Carter had suggested had passed when Kat rolled up the driveway and into the garage, waving at the three on the porch.

She kicked off her heels just inside the house and walked to the front door to unlock it while pulling out her earrings.

"C'mon in, folks, I'm gonna run back and change, Carter will be here with her in just a bit."


Much more relaxed in sweats and her hair braided back into a single rope, Kat sat on the floor next to the coffee table, and each of the foursome had fresh cans of Dew open as they discussed what was to happen tonight.

"Okay," grumped Jeff, "I can see that it's supposed to be an act, and that it's okay for guys to take the part of girls and vice-versa, but considering what I went through in the Summer, I don't think it would be very much FUN. And this is supposed to be FUN."

"Right," came Carter's voice from the kitchen, "fun first. Who has my character sheet?"

They greeted him with a chorus of welcomes, and in response to Kat's wordless question he just jerked his head toward the kitchen, where the noice of a bag of Chee-tos being ripped open could be heard.

"Addict!" Kat shouted in the general direction of the kitchen.

Devin walked around the corner into the living room with one eyebrow quirked up.

"Be careful what insults you throw at your Dungeon Master -- yes, Master, not Mistress, because Dungeon Mistress sounds way too adult toy store -- dear sister of mine... or is that brother, tonight?"

Jeff opened his mouth to complain again, and Emily put her hand over it. So he licked her hand.

"Ew! Augh! You..." she was at a loss for something disgusting enough, then it hit her, "you, boy!"

He laughed.

"Not tonight, Emily!" grinned Devin. "Tonight's game marks the start of the Gender Reverse Avatar Chronicles, you and Kat get to be the boys, and Jeff, Randolph, and Carter get to be the gals," she smirked at Jeff, "Deal with it or forfeit the adventure you want to run next Spring."

He grumbled, but settled down into acquiescence.

"Guys name their characters weird things, right?" asked Emily, "I'll call my Barbarian, Thews."

Kat snorted.

"I'm playing a Wizard, and if that's the logic... I'll name my guy Golstaff and always enter the door from the north. Can I have a Cantrip that makes me immune to the pungent stench of mildew emanating from the wet dungeon walls?"

up
70 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Bare Bones

Barely enough to lay out the basics of what is up and the characters. I got the Role-playing group getting together and some sort of deal/bet for everyone to run cross-gender characters. None of the guys seem very keen on the idea not even Jeff.

Not sure why though. Most gamers I've run into have used cross-gender characters from time to time. Perhaps there is a boyfriend/girlfriend thing going on and the boys don't want to appear any less masculine in front of their girls. Again I just making wild Donkey guesses.

Very interested in seeing more!

hugs!

grover

Jeff Parker

Edeyn Jeff's the only one of the guys complaining, actually. These six are characters from ] Family Tragedies and Secrets [ -- if you're not familiar with them, don't worry, the story should be self-contained enough that you don't HAVE to read the other -- but it may provide insight!

Edeyn Hannah Blackeney
Wasn't it Jim Henson who said, "Without faith, I am nothing," after all? No, wait, that was God... Sorry, common mistake to make...

Hehehe.

Intriguing idea there. I'm a (male) compulsive online gamer and always play female characters - then again, that's hardly uncommon. 30% of all female characters in World of Warcraft are men in real life.

~ Compulsive online gamer, supernerd, and geek at your service ~