Sara's Magic Crayons SRU - Chapter 7

Printer-friendly version
Sara's Magic Crayons
Chapter 7

by Maggie O'Malley

When Sara was growing up, her "magic crayons" helped her escape the pain. Now as an adult and the world famous Art Angel, can they help her to find the life she's always dreamed of?


 

Chapter Seven: New Zealand and a New Woman

Prue had spent a good amount of time on the flight over, reassuring Sara that she needn't be nervous around her husband. Prue quipped that as long as she kept him fed and there were sports on the tele, they'd probably never even know he was there. Sara relaxed a bit and giggled, as Prue could make her smile when no one else could, but she still kept a firm hold on Prue's hand for most of the flight.

Prue's husband was there to greet them at the airport. He was tall and well built with the body of a footballer. He had sandy brown wavy hair, a healthy tan, and beautiful blue eyes. He was gorgeous, gracious and gallant with a warm, magical smile that complimented Prue's and immediately put Sara at ease. She could easily see why Prue or any woman would be attracted to him.

About an hour after arriving they were pulling into Prue's palace. Like Jenna and Rick's place, it was secluded and nestled on the edge of unspoiled wilderness. Also like its Canadian counterpart, it was as warm and cozy as its owners. Sara's favorite place in the house was the beautiful sunroom where Prue's muse lived. Countless best sellers had been conceived in that room during her long hours at the keyboard. Sara could feel the magic in the room the moment she stepped in it, and almost instantly her own muse was tempting her to take out her sketch pad as it whispered in her ear. Sara smiled; hoping her muse and Prue's might get the chance to combine forces during her stay at Chez Walker.

Neither Prue nor Sara was much up for going out their first night in, so they knocked up a little dinner, and called it an early night. Prue got Sara settled into their guest room and then reminded her she was right down the hall should she need anything in the night. Sara had slept in Prue's bed from the first night at Jenna's and Prue knew how comforting that was for her especially with being away from home and facing surgery. Sara did love being close to Prue, especially at night when the memories of the beatings and the fear returned to her in nightmares. Snuggled in Prue's arms, the little girl within Sara slept like an angel, and the bad dreams couldn't chase her there. However, Prue was home with her hubby now, and after being apart from each other for over a week, Sara had no intentions of interrupting their nocturnal reunion.

Prue tucked Sara in, kissed her on the forehead, and then slipped out, leaving the door open just a crack so she could listen for Sara's cry should the nightmares come for her. Prue shuffled down toward her bedroom, smiling as she realized she'd just put a grown woman to bed, the same as if Sara was her own small child. Yes, she knew Sara was nearly thirty and a professional illustrator, but the more time she spent with her, the harder it was getting for Prue to think of her as anything else other than a little girl and her magic crayons. Realizing she'd better hurry on to bed or hubby was liable to start without her, Prue picked up her pace, and dropped her nightgown when she entered the bedroom.

Somewhere around three in the morning, long after the medals had been awarded for the bedroom Olympics, Prue sat straight up in bed, sensing something more than hearing it. Wiggling away from hubby's embrace, she slipped out of bed, muttering "Sara" to her sleeping soul mate as she grabbed her robe and headed for the guest room.

Prue's heart melted as she pushed open the door to find Sara's crying and rolling in bed as she pleaded for her father to stop hitting her. Prue quickly joined Sara in bed and immediately pulled in her close, rocking her and cooing softly. Sara held on tight, tears streaming down her cheeks, still begging her father to stop. Prue stroked her head and held her until finally the nightmare had passed and once again Sara slept soundly. Prue stayed with her until almost dawn before returning to her bed. Hubby was awake when she returned and she immediately filled him on Sara's rough night. Prue couldn't help wonder how many nights Sara spent reliving things in nightmares, no child should have experienced in real life. Her empathy for Sara and for all her TG sisters overwhelmed Prue as her own tears flowed free, and the comforter, now sought comfort in the arms of her beloved.

At breakfast, Sara was sunshine and smiles again as she helped Prue prepare the meal, obviously not remembering what she'd went through and shared with Prue the night before. In Prue's eyes this was one situation where ignorance was truly bliss or at least mercy.

After breakfast, Prue and Sara headed back into Christchurch, for Sara's initial meeting with the SR surgeon. It would be the first of several appointments over the next four days that would keep the girls on the run until Sara was admitted for her surgery. Sara was poked, prodded, examined and grilled over the same questions she'd been answering since her first psychiatrist appointment. Sara was obviously nervous, but she didn't really resent having to jump through all the hoops again as she knew the staff was just doing their duty. This was truly a point of no return for Sara and they had to be sure that she was sure. Sara had no doubts about the surgery making her body better, but she wasn't so sure that any surgery could truly heal the broken spirit within.

Prue was Sara's source of strength and reassurance through the entire pre-surgery ordeal. She was either in the room with Sara, or just outside the door and always had a smile and hug when Sara needed it most.

With days being devoted to hospital hopping, Prue did her best to be sure Sara's afternoons and evenings were fun and relaxing. Spring had the countryside in full bloom, and Prue took Sara out on long afternoon walks to admire Mother Nature's magic New Zealand style. The girls usually pooled their efforts to make some international dinners and hubby was more than satisfied with the combination cuisine. Sara and Prue spent most of their evenings in the sunroom chatting online with Jenna, kicking around story and art ideas, and of course discussing Sara's impending surgery.

At night, Prue slept a mother's sleep, keeping her ears alert for Sara's cry. Two more times over the next three nights Prue entered Sara's room to find she was having a replay of the first nights horror. As before, Prue rocked and held her until Sara returned to peaceful sleep. When Prue returned to the bedroom she discussed Sara's frequent nightmares with her husband. He pointed to Sara's impending surgery as the most likely cause of her frequent night terrors, and logically deduced that once the operation had passed so should her frequent nightmares. Prue snuggled with him and acknowledged he was probably right, but as Sara had before, she too wondered if any surgery this young woman had could truly calm the frightened child within.

Sara passed all her tests and was admitted for surgery. That night she was alone for the first time since she'd left England, but Prue promised to be there bright and early to see her before they prepped her for surgery. Sara sat alone in her room, waiting for the affects to kick in from the sedative the nurse had just given her. Understandably she was frightened by the prospect of major surgery, but in reality a greater fear gripped her that night, the fear that Prue's smiling face wouldn't return to see her in the morning.

Sara knew her fears were unfounded, as wild horses or wild sheep couldn't keep Prue away from that hospital, yet she couldn't stop worrying. She loved Rick, Jenna and their kids so much. They were family to her, the family she'd never had, but with Prue it went even deeper. Like with Jenna she had grown close to her during those long internet chats they shared, but being with her at Jenna's house and now as a guest in Prue's home, had touched her deeper than she dreamed possible. That perky New Zealand pixie had a way to reach the little girl within Sara like no one else had save for her birth mother. One look at Prue's smile and the child within the young woman felt safe and warm and loved. Sara knew Prue would make a wonderful mother one day and she hoped that her friend would make good her promise to seek a child through adoption. In the meantime, the little angel within the Art Angel would savor every moment she could with Prue and hold onto the memories for when she returned to her lonely life in England.

The sedative finally did its job and Sara drifted off to sleep. That night she wasn't running from her father or the schoolboys who beat her regularly in her dreams. She was walking down a crowded corridor, a corridor lined with small shops. The people around her were chatting with each other and carrying bags heavy laden with the fruits of their shopping labors. She was obviously inside a mall, but one totally unfamiliar to her. Of course, she hadn't been shopping in London for quite sometime, and her fear of people made her anything but a mall rat.

She stopped and looked in a shop window. There was a lovely display of perfumed soaps and bath oils there and she was tempted to go in and purchase some, as she loved a good soak. As she stood their admiring the shop's wares she noted her reflection in the glass. At least she wasn't stark naked in public as some people often dream. Actually she was dressed nicely her in favorite skirt and blouse combo, but she was also wearing a lovely blue jacket with black striping that she'd never seen before. At least her dream weaver had good fashion sense she chuckled in her sleep.

Sara walked further down the corridor and then turned right onto another one. Suddenly the crowds were gone but the corridor was hardly quiet as she heard babies crying. She wanted to look for them but her feet kept heading down the winding corridor. When she reached the end of it, she saw a shop that drew her toward it. It seemed to be horribly out of place for a 21st century shopping mall. The dark wood exterior, the carvings and the stained glass in the door seemed more at place among the shops from the tiny village close to her childhood home.

Sara walked to the door and then looked above it. There was a sign there but she couldn't quite make it out. Compelled to investigate this strange place she gently pushed the door open and was startled as a bell above her announced her entry.

The bell also woke Sara from her slumbers and she found the smiling face of Prue gazing down at her. Sara sleepy smiled back which netted her a kiss and a "Kiwi Kuddle" for her efforts. Memories of last nights dream slipped away as the two women discussed Sara's surgery. Prue promised she would be right there in the waiting room, and then stayed with Sara until the nurses finally shooed the surrogate mother away.

Sara got another quick visit from the surgeon, a last chance to turn tail and run with the family jewels intact, but Sara had no desire to run, especially from the truth. Shortly after the doctor left, her favorite needle pusher returned with drugs that quickly sent Sara back to slumberland.

Sara's dream returned to her just as before. She walked the mall corridor, stopped to admire the soaps and her reflection, and then turned the corner to find herself alone with the sound of crying babies and then eventually across from that same shop again. Hoping this time she'd fare better, she headed straight for it. She reached for the door knob and then stopped to see if she could get a better look at the sign above the door, but the fog that obscured it had only dissipated enough to make a single letter. An upper case "S" in Old English script greeted her but nothing more. Hoping perhaps the next time she'd visit she'd get the rest of the signs message, she pushed open the door to enter. The bell above her chimed, not startling her this time, nor waking her either.

Sara stepped inside the shop and found the interior much like that of the exterior, as it was almost an exact replica of the little curiosity shops in her old village. It was a bit dusty, dimly lit, and had shelves overflowing with a wide assortment of books, antiques, and assorted bric-a-brac. Sara smiled as she admired the selection and then her attention was drawn to back of the store where the shopkeepers counter stood. A man, an older man, obviously the proprietor smiled at her from behind the counter. He had white hair a bit thin on the top and soft blue eyes that sparkled even in the dim light. Sara smiled back, about to comment on what a magical little place he had, when the old man stepped out from behind the counter wearing what appeared to be a long blue coat or possibly a cloak.

The man waved and then spoke, but Sara never heard him as another voice, faint at first, but getting steadily stronger, stole her attention as it spirited her away from the man and his shop. "Sara...Sara... this is Doctor Browning."

Sara eyes squinted open as she could barely make out the smiling face of her SR surgeon. "The operation was a complete success dear. You're going to be fine. You have a friend here waiting to see you. I'll send her in but she can only stay for a moment. Now get plenty of rest, and I'll look in on you later."
Sara managed a groggy thank you or at least she hoped she did, as the surgeon's face left to be replaced by a soft touch and a smile she'd been longing to see. Prue kissed Sara's forehead and squeezed her hand. "Hey kiddo, Doctor says everything went really well but I've got bad news and I've got good news for you."

Even with one wing in la la land, Sara knew by the grin on Prue's face she had a post-surgery one-liner ready. Sara found enough strength to answer the call. "Okay doc, give it to me straight."

Prue giggled, "The bad news is I'm afraid you'll have to sit to pee for the rest of your life. The good news is I'm afraid you'll have to sit to pee for the rest of your life."

Sara rolled her eyes, managing a giggle, and then quipped. "I need some morphine, the pain is already starting."

Prue laughed and hugged Sara, her face turning more serious. "Hey, I just want you to know I love you and I'm proud of you and I'll be taking you home as soon as they'll let me."

Sara sleepy smiled and said, "Thanks Mummy", before sleep reclaimed her. Prue watched Sara sleep, touched by the sentiment of her friends last words, and then kissed her little angel on the forehead before slipping away to let her rest.

Sara didn't return to the dream that night, or any other during her seven-day stay at the hospital. She did remember enough of the dream to share it with Prue, who said it was interesting, but didn't know if it was symbolic of some past/future event or just bad hospital food.

Jenna couldn't be there in person, but between phone calls and Prue laptop, the three musketeers continued to correspond during Sara's convalescence in the hospital.

Prue pulled longer shifts in Sara's room then most of the nurses on staff and had a better bedside manner as well. The pair mostly just talked, with Prue permitting the Art Angel limited periods to spread her wings via her sketchpad and pencils. Prue's presence there made a noticeable difference as Sara perked up every morning and stayed upbeat until the head nurse had to finally shoo the persistent pixie away and usually long after visiting hours were over.

One week to the day that Sara entered the hospital, she was remanded in to Prue's very protective custody and sentenced to a period of no less than four weeks extreme pampering at Chez Walker. Sara made no motions for appeal or for early parole but did hope she might get an extended stay for good behavior.


To be continued...

up
68 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

just as lovely as the others

Hello Maggie,

what a lovely chapter again.
I hope I have that much support when I go in for SRS.

It's great to see that everything turns out so well for Sara.
I hope her nightmares really stop but I fear the won't.
I laso hope she gets the chance to show her mum that she managed to make her mums last wish come true. That now she really is her daughter.

thank you again for those moving lines of love and care.

hugs

Holly

Friendship is like glass,
once broken it can be mented,
but there will always be a crack.