Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 617.

Printer-friendly version
       
Whole Diggers
(aka Bike)
Part 617
by Angharad
       
Snowflake_300h.jpg

My head was swimming, I had probably just killed someone, but I couldn’t bear to look who. I vomited again, dry retching on my empty stomach. I searched for another gun but couldn’t find one. There were still two others out there, despite my self-disgust at all this–I hated guns and violence–there were two if not three other lives depending upon me.

I ran upstairs, and began tapping on Tom’s door, he eventually opened it and gasped at me, “Ye look absolutely ghastly, whit’s happened?”

“I just killed one if not two of our guards.”

“Whit? Why?”

“We’re prisoners, they’re going to kill us anyway.”

“How d’ye ken that?”

“I heard them talking outside. Come on get dressed, I need your help. Have you ever fired one of these?” I handed him the gun.

“Not exactly, but I’ve fired guns in my National Service days, and shotguns since.”

“Well, don’t hesitate, if you see one of them shoot to kill.”

“Aye, I’m no too sure about that wee bitty.”

“They’ll be trying to kill you.”

“Cathy, this is tak’n an awfy lot on trust.”

“Please, Daddy, if I’m wrong, I’ll accept all the law can throw at me including anything you do as well. These men killed the police guards who should have looked after us, they’re fakes. C’mon, get dressed before they find their colleagues.”

Tom pulled on his trousers and jumper over the underpants and tee shirt in which he’d slept. It reminded me we needed to get him some new underpants. He pulled on his socks and shoes and we went to get the girls.

Things were happening downstairs, shit! We ran into the girls room and I woke them up and grabbing their clothes and the girls explained the men here were very bad and they were trying to hurt us. I made them get behind the shutters and stay there until I came to get them. They were on no account to come out to anyone they didn’t know. I gave them a pack of biscuits and a bottle of water I had with me, and a plastic bowl I found in the bathroom to use as a loo. I kissed them, told them I loved them and pushed them behind the shutters. I hoped it would offer some protection if bullets started zipping about the place.

I grabbed the bow and my quiver, pulling on my wrist and finger guards as I crept to the top of the stairs. I tucked the knife in the back of my jeans and pulled my top over it.

They’d obviously found the bodies and were shouting to each other. “I’m gonna kill ‘em, bastards.” I heard someone storming towards the stairs. Tom was in the bedroom with the girls, I heard him move away from the door. I crept back along the landing drawing an arrow as I went. The bedroom door shut, and I knew Tom was protecting the girls. I heard a bed being moved against it. Then footsteps on the stairs, which creaked under the weight.

I flattened myself against the wall kneeling on one knee to minimise the target I offered. More noises from the bedroom of furniture moving. I heard the click of a safety catch being switched off. More slow creaks from the stairs, my heart was pounding and my body wanted to shake. My mouth went dry and breathing became ragged.

A figure darted up the stairs and began to spray bullets at the door of my room. I was horrified then he turned and saw me just as I loosed an arrow. I hit him in the chest knocking him backwards against the door his gun still firing fell down the stairs and I fired a second arrow hitting him in the abdomen. He started screaming and flailing about, stood up and fell down the stairs.

The remaining gunman called upstairs saying we were all dead, if necessary he’d burn us out. I stayed still and quiet. A volley of bullets came up the stairs but he wasn’t going to follow them. Damn!

I crept along the landing and tapped on the kid’s door and then went to see Tom: a bullet had nicked his shoulder, so I dressed it for him with a torn piece of bedding. It was a superficial wound, he was very lucky. The girls came out had a wee and went back to their makeshift shelter.

We had to get out of there before their boss arrived or we just started the business all over again with the odds even more in their favour. I took the sheet rope and went into Tom’s room. I grabbed his whisky and shoved a piece of cloth in the top of it, then shook it. The cheap lighter I’d seen in the cupboard, and which I’d ‘borrowed’ gave me an idea.

Tom’s shutters opened with a few levers from my knife, so the locks weren’t that effective. I broke a pain with the handle of my knife using a pillow to deaden some of the noise. I tied the rope to the bed and after looking as carefully as I could, began to ease my way down, abseiling down the house.

I took the bow from my shoulder and the whisky bottle from my trousers–my jeans stank like a distillery. I tried to work out which of the cars had the better chance to escape, I opted for the Merc. As I crept around the house, arrow poised on the bowstring, he spotted me, and I ducked behind the house as he fired.

“Too late, Robin Hood, or is that Maid Marion? The cowboys are here.” He fired again and I ran behind a low wall, lighting the rag in the bottle as soon as I got there. “Come out, come out, wherever you are,” he taunted and fired again. I heard his footsteps come closer and lobbed the bottle.

I heard the bottle smash and the whoomph as the inflammable contents exploded. He shouted in pain and I popped up and loosed an arrow. It hit him somewhere–I heard the thud–the gun fired again and this time he was screaming. I fired another arrow at the human torch that was staggering around firing his gun into the ground. The third arrow took him down, and the shooting stopped. The smell was sickening.

I ran to the cars, amazingly, the keys were in them. I suppose no one here would steal them, wherever here was? We had no time to lose. I ran back into the house and gathered Tom and the girls, my handbag and Tom grabbed his wallet. Everything else we left, even my precious tool kit.

Then into the car, which had a half tank of diesel, and away. I drove fast but carefully. I still had no idea where we were, and turned right at the gateway from the drive. Moments later, in the rear view mirror, I saw a couple of 4x4s turn into the drive. I gave the accelerator loads of wellie and the car flew forward.

“See if there’s a radio, Daddy.” I said as I gunned the car along the narrow country lane.

“There was, they’ve removed it along with the sat nav.”

“Look in my bag girls, give Gramps my phone.”

He took it, “The battery’s okay, but there’s no signal here.”

“Bugger, where do you think we are?”

“Judging by the countryside, somewhere in Scotland.”

“It’s a big country, Daddy.”

“Well, the rate ye’re going we’ll be in the Hie’lands in nae time at a’.”

“How do you know?”

“Ye’re headin’north, lassie, the sun’s ahent us tae the east and south.”

“Where’s Stanebury?”

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
133 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Oh gosh. Yaayy!!

Don't you mess with her children. Or Daddy. Or whatever. Just.DON'T.Mess!

To quote avant la lettre "I'm Cathy. Here me roar!"

Whew. *grins*

Jo-Anne

Cathy To The Rescue!

jengrl's picture

Cathy made the thugs pay dearly for their mistakes. Hopefully, the police will see it as self defense and not even think about prosecuting her for anything. Those idiots did kill a few of their fellow officers, so I think they should give her a medal for courage under fire in ridding the world of a few more bad guys.

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

Cathy might even receive...

...a reward for her actions against these thugs! After all, they did kill several police officers; and I believe the police would certainly be willing to reward whoever was responsible for their being eliminated!

Jenny

Cathy Is Very Bad News

For bad guys and cads. Maybe James Bond needs to recruit her?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Cathy is very, very cool

Cathy is very, very cool under pressure and that is a good thing. Hopefully, they will all make it to Henry's estate or run into Simon as they travel there. It is time that something right went their way now. If the "Boss" is out to get the entire family, is there anyone ensuring Stells's safety or that of her new born? J-Lynn

Cathy the Action Hero

When will they start making Cathy dolls and action figures?

Now THIS

is the way to go out in a blaze of glory ;-).

Oh yeah, it also reminds me a bit of 'Well, it looks like we're up to our necks in terrorists again, John!"

Kim

really Tom

kristina l s's picture

Daggy undies! I mean you might be shot by mercs or mobsters and... what would people think? At least the kids had a pot to piss in. And Cathy does kebabs. Okay, enough silly... another cliffthingie??!! Hmmpphh.

Kristina

Nice one Ang!

Up to your usual high standards. Keep em coming!

Hugs
Sue

What a way...

to get Cathy to Stanebury for the wedding. I've heard of over the top, but WOW... Simon's really pulled out ALL the stops. If he'd been more open, some of his hired hands might have survived...

No, more seriously, the things Cathy gets into. Simply amazing. And, the two girls - how they trust their mom to keep them safe and all... WOW>

Thanks,
Annette

Image

I have this image of Mr. Big coming on the scene, and finding what is left of his men. He should have known from previous experience.

Hit-and-Runners; Kidnappers; Russian Mafia; Social Services…

Rhona McCloud's picture

… all out to disrupt Cathy's plans for a peaceful life. Makes me wonder how Dr ‘Fliss' Edwards escaped injury. Still at least Trish has a free cake from the supermarket if they ever get home to enjoy it.

Rhona McCloud

They were going to take HER dormice !!!

Well you can only go so far North. Tom should know this area. Wrong Calvary. Simon's with the 7th they never get there early, but just in the nick of time.
If the roads deteriate too much, those suvs will catch the Mercedes
Cathy Moss is cranking The Merc like Sterling.

Cefin

Ooh, the suspense!

Nice, only now working my way through the entire volume of Bike.

BTW only 39 votes so far?

Anne Margarete