The Princess and the Plague : 22

Printer-friendly version
The Princess and the Plague


By Anistasia Allread
Edited by Edeyn

"So my cheerleader daughter is a lesbian? This sounds like some fantastical story you'd find online -- mind you, not one of the smutty sites, but one of the classy ones."

Erika rolled her eyes.

     

duckling.jpg

Erika was on cloud nine, or should she make that cloud 11?

"Whoa! Now I know why you haven't been recognized at school, you're beautiful," her father smiled, "You know, you look like your mother when she was about your age."

"That's what she said, too."

"Hmmm," her father made a noise, "Turn around, lets see?"

Erika slowly twirled around. She didn't have any of her nice clothes with her so she put on a pair of jeans, her new blue blouse and some pumps to dress it all up a bit.

Her father stepped forward, "Hi, I'm your Dad."

"Hi, Dad, I'm your daughter, Erika Sum - er - Martin."

Her dad stood awkwardly for a moment, before Erika made the move and stepped forward wrapping her arms around her dad... Her dad. Not his, but her dad.

Her father took her to Chili's for dinner, one of her favorite places to eat. There, they had a heart-to-heart talk.

"Dad?"

"Yes?"

"Just because I'm Erika now, it doesn't mean that I would mind going camping or fishing with you. Dr. Barts said that my being Erika might stop those kinds of events."

Her father smiled, "I don't know if you and I either one are meant to go fishing based off of our last trip," he chuckled.

Erika giggled with him.

"Besides, you are still grounded."

Erika nodded.

"You are to be home as soon as cheer practice is over."

"I have to be at the game on Friday. It's a home game."

Her father thought about this for a few moments, "When do you have to be there?"

"As a member of the Rally Squad, we stay after school and do Rally stuff, then we perform at the game."

"Then, I'll take you home from the game."

"I'm sure I can get a ride from one of the girls."

"Nah, I'll be there anyway. I'll just take you home."

"You'll be there?"

"I've got to cheer for my cheerleader daughter and her school," he smiled, "They have a good football team don't they?"

Erika wasn't sure if she was pleased or mortified. Her father in the stands watching her stumble through a dance routine?

"So, the other night when you came home with swollen lips, was that from kissing a boyfriend or a girlfriend?"

"Girlfriend," Erika avowed, "Tricia."

"So my cheerleader daughter is a lesbian? This sounds like some fantastical story you'd find online -- mind you, not one of the smutty sites, but one of the classy ones."

Erika rolled her eyes.

"So how did this all come about?" her father inquired.

Erika related the summer spent at Camp Kumoni to her father. She edited some of the more graphic things, not wanting to shed a negative light on things after his trust and understanding in her. The Good Parts version.

"And your mother has known since Parents' Day?"

Erika nodded, "She didn't know how you would take it given your family's prejudicial nature."

"They are quite, ah, vocal. A lot of it has to do with Uncle Will," Mr. Martin nodded, "So, why did you decided to enroll in school as Erika?"

"I couldn't go back to being 'The Plague,' Dad. I just... couldn't."

"Were things that bad?"

"I really don't want to talk about that tonight," Erika ended the topic.

"Okay, okay," he sat back in his chair muttering something about mothers and daughters, "We have bigger fish to fry anyway. We have to reconcile with your mother, and then there is something we like to call 'my' family to deal with. They may have banished one family member, but I won't let them banish another. In fact, I'm going to give Aunt Carrie a call and invite her to Thanksgiving."

"Really? I've never met her," Erika bounced, "Can you ask her to bring some fudge with her?"

Mr. Martin laughed.

--o0o--

Her mother's car was in the drive when they returned and parked. Their cheerful mood became more subdued as he turned off the truck. The two sat in the truck for a long moment.

"I need to have a long talk with your mother," her dad said.

"I think we'll need several long talks with one another," Erika agreed.

The two of them slowly walked into the mostly dark house.

"Go on upstairs, and get ready for school tomorrow."

"Yes, Daddy," Erika said automatically.

She paused. Had she really just called him, 'Daddy?' She looked at her dad who was smiling.

"Thank you for dinner."

"You're welcome. Go on now."

Erika raced up to her room as fast as her heeled shoes could carry her without doing bodily damage.

Erika kicked off her pumps into a corner of the room not caring for once that they were still in plain sight. Actually, kind of reveling in the fact that they were still in plain sight for once! She then fell back on her bed and took a deep breath.

"If this is a dream, I don't want to wake up," she informed her ceiling.

She reached over to her desk and grabbed her cell phone. Two messages, both from Samantha. Instead of listening to them, she dialed her friend.

"So what happened?" Samantha asked answering the phone, "Are you all right?"

"I'm doing well, I'm doing fine," Erika told her, "My mom went by the school today to pick me up and was told that I wasn't enrolled there."

"Oh, shit! And you're okay?"

"I had to confront them both and tell them what was going on."

"And you're still alive?"

"My Dad was... incredible," Erika gushed. "He was shocked at first, but it was like a switch went off and he accepted me as Erika, like instantly."

"No way."

"I know, I couldn't believe it either! I'm still afraid I'm dreaming," Erika related, "My mom, though, was pissed and took off, so Daddy told me to change and he took me out to dinner."

"You're playing with me, aren't you?" Samantha asked, awed. "This is recorded and I'll be on YouTube or Punk'd or something."

"No, I'm serious," Erika told her friend, "My dad didn't blow up or anything."

"Maybe he's in shock."

"Could be, but not after a couple of hours of being with him."

"Your mom's pissed though?"

"Yes, she's the one who snapped. I don't know what happened. She said that she thought that this was just a phase or a way to get attention, like she never believed me despite what Dr. Barts talked to her about. She got mad and left... she's back now. I think my dad is talking to her."

"Have you called Tricia?"

"No, she hasn't answered my phone all day."

"Do you want me to call her?"

"Will she answer?"

"I don't know but it's worth a try."

"Okay."

"I'll call you back," Samantha promised.

Erika hung up and decided to pull all of her stuff out of hiding. She didn't have a whole lot, but for the first time, she was able to arrange the limited makeup she had on her bathroom counter. She pulled clothes out from under her mattress, as well as out from under stacks of paper in her desk drawers and hung them up in her closet, trying to ignore the wrinkles hiding the clothing had caused.

She could hear muffled voices of her parents talking and arguing downstairs. She couldn't make out what they were saying. She didn't want to, and decided to put on some music to help cancel out any of their conversation that might penetrate her walls and door.

Her phone rang. She fell on the bed grabbing the phone at the same time, "Hello?"

"Hey, its Samantha."

"What did she say?"

"She's happy that your father took it so well, but she doesn't want to talk to you right now. She is really hurt about what happened at the party."

"Oh. What exactly did happen at the party? I only remember bits and pieces."

"Well, you got drunk," Samantha started, "then she says you got mad at her for smoking a bit of pot. She then found you making out with Julian Rock."

"I remember kissing him, I don't think I made out with him."

"According to the stories going around school today you were all over him," she argued, "Then lets see... oh, yeah, you got sick and threw up all over the bathroom. Then after I chased Tricia down and coaxed her back to the party, we found you upstairs in one of the bedrooms with Julian as he was undressing you."

"He was undressing me?" Erika gulped.

"He was helping you out of your shoes and jacket when we came in... or so he says."

"Thank God."

"Then after we put you to bed, hoping you'd sleep it off, you slipped out of the party and disappeared, causing Tricia and me to hunt all over the place. No one called Tricia's mom and because of that she is grounded."

"I'd be upset with me too," Erika realized, "Was I really making out with Julian Rock?"

"From what I have heard, it was pretty steamy. You are no longer considered a lesbian at school, but a Bi."

"Is that better or worse?"

"Let's just say that you are going to be receiving a lot of propositions over the next few weeks," Samantha giggled.

"Damn!" Erika groaned.

Samantha giggled some more.

"So should I try and call Tricia? Or maybe text her?"

"Maybe send her a text or two, but unless she responds, no more than that."

"Okay."

"See you in the morning?" Samantha asked.

"Yes."

"Night."

Erika ended the phone call and pulled up her text menu. She texted Tricia apologizing for Saturday night and asked what to do to make it up to her.

Erika stripped out of her clothes, slipped on her nightgown and washed her face before sliding under her covers.

Erika was just about to drift off to sleep when a light knock came at the door followed by the door opening enough to allow a head to poke through.

"I'm going to pick you up at school tomorrow," her father informed her. "Your mother went to the school today to take you to get some more blood tests done."

"More? Why?" Erika shifted in bed, squinting at the light coming through the door.

"I'm not sure. They just said that they needed to run some more tests."

"Okay, what time?"

"I'll pick you up at ten-fifteen."

"Mom won't do it?" Erika asked.

"How would it look if a woman went to a school asking for someone one day and then someone else the next?"

"Oh."

"While I'm there, I'll arrange a meeting for next week, after we have a sit down with your Dr. Barts."

"Is Mom still mad at me?"

"She is upset at the two of us right now. She is just having a hard time with this... this whole thing."

"Why aren't you?" Erika asked sitting up in bed, her eyes now comfortable with the light shining into her room.

"Oh, I'm upset. Just not in the same way," her father told her. He came into the room and sat down on the edge of her bed.

"I'm just trying to be a loving, understanding, father," he sighed and looked away from Erika.

"When I saw what my mother's family did to Uncle Will, I told myself that I would never do that to my children. Never."

He paused and took a breath, "My mother made me distance myself from Unc - Aunt Carrie, as well. I didn't want to, but families have a way of making you behave in ways that you don't always like. I miss my Uncle Will. I know that he's the same person just in a different package, but it's... just... different."

"Dr. Barts said that would happen with us, too," Erika nodded.

Her father nodded with her.

"One thing will never change though, and that's my love for you. Boy or girl, you are mine, and I love you. Now get some sleep."

He eased himself off of her bed, and departed the room closing the door behind him.

Erika wiped a tear from her eyes and burrowed under her blankets.

"God?" she said to the ceiling, "God, please, please don't let this be a dream."

With that she closed her eyes and snuggled in for a good night's sleep.

up
220 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Thank you

I just wanted to thank all of you for your GREAT comments on the last chapter. also, thanks to those who voted as well.

I am a ways from completing this story yet. I believe I have a direction now and there will hopefully still be stuff in the upcomming chapters which will please each of you.

Thank you again.

A.A.

A great new chapter Anistasia!

KristineRead's picture

Anistasia,

Wonderful. Please let it not be a dream!!! Ditto that. BTW, if you end this story with, Eric woke up and it had all been a dream, I think you will be hunted down... ;)

Seriously, Dad is being beyond wonderful, I really believe that Mom will come around, though I would have liked to have been a fly on the wall during this last argument.

Someone is going to have to go over to Tricia's and get Erika's clothes, even though Tricia doesn't want to see her right now. Erika needs her things, though it will be interesting to see how Mom reacts to Erika's things being all out in the open. What are Erika's parents going to say, and for that matter Tricia's parents going to say when they all find out that they were lied to as well?

Hopefully Tricia will come around, but then they are both grounded, which is quite appropriate.

I look forward to the meeting with Dr. Barts on Saturday. Someone had better fill her in before hand!

As for the need for further blood tests, that is interesting and I have to wonder where that is going to lead.

I am also hoping to eventually meet Aunt Callie, and to hell with the other relatives if they can't handle it.

The meeting with the school will be very, very interesting. Dad let Erika off the hook about telling him how bad being the "plague" had been tonight, but he is going to have to dig into that further, and frankly it will be an important component in dealing with the school going forward.

Anistasia, Thanks so much for another wonderful chapter, believe me you deserved all of the votes and comments on the previous one, and I expect this one to do quite well as well!

Hugs,

Kristy

Well said

I was going to cover more ground in my comment but you have saved me the trouble.

I am suspecting at this point that mild intersex condition might be the flavor of the day or even PAIS (Partial Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome. ) We will see.

Erika is going to have a very full next six months to say the least. What was anticipated to be a wreck of a magnitude that would've made the the Poseidon Adventure look like a kids boat in a bathtub has turned out to more of an idyll. The only fly in the ointment of course is her mother. Until the Gordian Knot situation with her mother is resolved, it will be ugly.

One thing that has not been brought up is, what about neighbors ? Unless Erika lives in a very rustic area she is bound to be noticed by a neighbor or two yet I have yet to hear her interact with her neighbors. Having neighbors would make her change a little more difficult - more potential of being 'outed'.

To out or not to out, that is the question, and to what degree. I've already mentioned that the school's lack of protection for Erik's well-being may provide some leverage for Daddy to smooth over the record issue and let Erika stay. Supporting Erika's side of the argument is that clearly she is not causing trouble and nobody recognizes her. It would cause far more trouble if she was rumbled.

It is unfortunate that this is the south, and being more conservative area, there are people who's prejudices run so deep that they would not care even if they get fired. It is hoped there are no such fanatics in administration. Frankly, the best way to do it will probably be for the Principal to be the only one brought into the situation and after-hours, quietly do the changes. However, I think she is stuck with keeping Summers as her last name as a sudden change to Martin - rare for a minor to do - may attract undue attention.

Kim

Actually, the neighbors

Actually, the neighbors might not be an issue, at all. I've lived in the same house for a very long time and transitioned there. If any of my neighbors noticed anything, they didn't say so. Frankly, I haven't had any real contact with any of my neighbors since I was little.

Saless

"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

I woke up this morning with an image

KristineRead's picture

Anistasia,

After writing my comment last night just before going to sleep, I woke up this morning with an image in my head of Eric as an older gentlemen, lying in bed next to his wife, and saying, "Honey, you won't believe the dream I just had."

Of course Eric looked like Bob Newhart, and his wife was Suzanne Pleshett.. While that was one of the funniest moments in TV History (Television for all you smart arses that are sniggering... :) ) it was because it was completely unexpected.

I'm sure that AA would NEVER pull that on us...

Seriously though, I can't wait for the next chapter. I do hope we will have some interaction with Mom in the next chapter, though it might end up being just Dad and Eric going to get the new blood work.

Keep up the great work...

Hugs

Kristy

No. Thank >You<...

...for another chapter! :-) I love that feeling when, as a writer, you realize where a story is going to go, and then the pieces start to fall into place for how to get it there.

Amen to Erika's prayer!

-Liz

Successor to the LToC
Formerly known as "momonoimoto"

Erika's doing good, dad's a hero, and mom's not injured. GREAT

RAMI

Anistasia, After 22 chapters and I think comments on each, I finally got a 1st vote., and the first comment. Fantastic.

Great story chapter. Dad is a DAD, and Erika (I guess I will finally give up and say goodbye to Eric/a) has a champion at home. He may not be happy about the change, and I'm sure that he will want to make sure that the doctors support this, but the love of his child comes first. He states that he misses Uncle Will, so I'm sure he will miss Eric.

Mom is safe. That's a relief, I was afraid that she might have injured herself when she was out of the house. I'm sure there will be lots of parental conflict. Hopefully, it will not get worse.

Now we need Tricia to come around.

Great chapter

RAMI

RAMI

Wonderful Story

Thank you for your wonderful story. I've been enjoying Eric / Erika's adventures.

It should be quite a meeting with the school when they finally straighten things out. I can't see the school getting too upset given the lack of protection they have given Eric in the past. If they try to make an issue of Erika's status I think they will find that they have a lot to answer for themselves.

Michelle B

What Happens Next?!?!

Great job with this story. Your pacing and character development is superb. I love the realistic treatment of adolescent fears and expectations of how the world around them will treat them. It's very rare that well-developed characters will surprise, and Erika's mother was certainly a surprise. I went back to verify that it wasn't just bad style/psychotic break, and it wasn't; she was perfectly consistent with her observed actions. It just shows how well you've told this story from Erika's POV, with a light, consistent touch. Now I'm stuck in suspense, since I can't get any read on how Erika's mom will react. Bravo, maestra!

I get frightened for her.

Well, I am so over calling Erika any thing but Erika. This has been going on for what 5 months now? She oughta know her own mind by now. I can just see her all over one of her old nemises; making him stand to like a telephone pole! Gawd, I'm makin myself hot!

Gwendolyn

Anistasia, That was nice...

Anistasia, That was nice... I've just sat,Read,and enjoyed reading your latest posting...But now i,m worried!!Something has to go wrong for Erika soon...it's all going too smoothly!!!

Just about the only thing wrong for Erika now is her relationship with Tricia {or rather her lack of one} I hope that gets sorted soon...I just love a good romance...Mind you it does look now like Tricia might have some competition!!

Erika's mum worries me a bit, Seems like she might be a bit of a loose cannon, There is just no way of telling which way she might go? You just hope that Erika does not get hurt in any fallout!

As for Erika's dad,Well he's just so sweet,Erika just can't belief how nice he is too her now

Thank you Ani for posting your great story, And i wonder am i being selfish in hoping it does'nt end any time soon?

Hugs Kirri

Early Dream

terrynaut's picture

Hurry! I'm about to drift off to sleep for some quality dreaming and I saw this chapter. I had to read it and now I can say that I started dreaming early. *sigh*

I like the direction you're going with this. There really is too much harsh reality out there. I don't need to see a lot more here. I don't mind some dark stories now and then but I guess I really am used to Erika having a mostly good time. You set the nice tone with Camp Kumoni so I think you're stuck with it. :)

Thanks very much for this and please keep up the good work.

- Terry

The Last Line Says It All!

After all of the turmoil. and strife of being the 'Plague', and fears of it continuing unto Erika's new found support, it's as if the nightmare is finally over. Now, after the vacation, she's back in reality. Now to se Erika blossom into the Phoenix and fly away.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Wow...

Great chapter. It left a warm, reassuring feeling: one that agrees with Erika's relief that the worst is over and it's just a matter of letting the pieces fall into a pleasant pattern from here.

That's interesting, since it's not really true: Mom isn't reconciled to anything yet, her discussion with Dad notwithstanding, and she's starting from a position close to 180 degrees from Erika's true motivations. "Erika Summers" still has a lot to answer for at school, and it remains to be seen how easy a trade-off it'll be with the administration against Eric the Plague's problems last year, especially since Erika's reluctant to go into detail about those. Exposure at school, even if it's unrelated to current developments, is still a real concern. Dad's parents and family are probably on a trajectory to ostracize Erika and her parents after Thanksgiving, especially if/when Aunt Carrie shows up. (Not that a happy reconciliation is totally out of the question there either. But it's not the way to bet, even at a warm and fuzzy point like this.)

Of course, there's also Tricia (and Julian) to be concerned about, but if Erika's affections shift it won't be the first time. And I don't think Leeza will cut Erika off even if Tricia ends the relationship.

Anyway, as usual, I'm looking forward to more with great anticipation.

Eric

-happysigh-

Heyla

My 'weekend' is over and yet I had a new chapter to head back into work after reading. This is a good thing. -g-

I will echo several others in my relief that Mr. Martin is being so cool about everything, Mrs. Martin is (physically) alright and that this seems to not be a dream. Not a dream, got me? -shakes finger virtually-

On a side note, I did semi-accidentally stumble into "Healing a Princess" and thought I would at least mention my appreciation for it here, failing actually commenting on those stories themselves either here or at Fictioneer. -sheep-

-r

-a

Well, I think Mom will come around.

Mom has been carrying around a terrible burden for several months now, and tonight she found that not only did she not understand the rules of the game, she wasn't even in the game she thought.

Add to that her mixed feelings of suddenly losing her son. Moms have a special relationship with their sons, they raise them to be big and strong so they can take care of Mom in her old age. Now she's losing that, to be replaced with a teenage daughter in the midst of all the dangers of high school, dating, drinking, sex, you name it. All without those years of careful training a Mom gives her daughter to be in a position to handle the stresses successfully. Mom has to be terrified for her child's future, at the same time she is grieving the loss of her son, which seems apparent now.

She's feeling betrayed on all sides right now. Hopefully Dad was able to shoulder a bit of her burden tonight. He certainly seems willing. Loud exchange between partners doesn't always produce negative results, it might simply indicate both parties are passionate about the topic.

In the midst of all this, however, remember that Mom is the one who visited Erika at camp, and "helped" Eric afterwards, and found Dr. Barts. She's been doing what Mom's do, care for her child. I think she will continue that, though she might lash out occasionally from her hurt.

One thing is certain, however. Mom and Dad certainly need to be spending some time with Dr. Barts. Especially when Erika inevitably starts HRT!

I'm not as worried about the school issue, the family has ample ammunition to demonstrate that Erika's actions were justified by her fears of safety. Her accomplices might not fare so well though. And the big question with Tricia? Well, it will work out or it won't. It is naive and petty for Tricia to hold Erika responsible for her actions, Tricia knew full well Erika had never partied before, and as a friend knowledgable in how the social scene works, didn't protect her--the result was inevitable. Tricia's behavior is consistent with the possessive, spoiled brat she can be. Blaming Erika for being grounded is just wrong.

Thanks Anistasia, for entertaining us all for so long. Your ability to repeatedly surprise this crowd is testimony to your amazing talent. I can't wait to see what happens next!

Hugs
Carla Ann

Good Stuff!

The goodly goodness just keeps on coming! This story continues to be fantastic*! Some chapters can be a bit of a downer, but keep the tension and interest way up. Other chapters, like this one, manage to be wonderful uppers, but still manage to keep the tension and interest way up.

You're on a stride. It's like magic. Just keep doing whatever incantation you're doing to make this story happen! Love it!

________________
*(i.e. very special good; not unbelievable fantasy)

Hooray!

For Erika's Dad! I'm sure Mum'll be just fine once she gets over the shock and such though. It's lovely to see things working out well for Erika, even if she doesn't have an easy road ahead. I doubt Tricia can stay mad at her for much longer.
Thanks so much Anistasia, seeing this chapter up when I got home from college made the whole day feel better! ^^

*hugs*

Arisu

Things were looking fairly

Things were looking fairly bleak for a while there, but they're looking a lot better now. Thanks for another lovely chapter!

Saless

"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Way to go dad!!! All right!!! woo-hoo!!!

Hello Miss Allread!!! ^____^ ;-D

Now we just have to wait for the next chapter to see how Erika's life is going to evolve. The school will be the biggest hurdle to overcome that is for sure. Somehow justice will be delivered there and effectively. Now we just to need to work on mom and Tricia for the time being.

Plus what about those test results? What another round of tests? I guess the doctors want to make sure of what they found the first time.

Have a great week everyone!!!

Rachel

Eric's Test results and a change in the story dynamic.

RAMI

Eric's (at this point they are Eric's) test results obviously showed something that requires more testing. What do the results show? It could be anything, from cancer like in Aly's "Price to Pay" series or nanites in some stories posted here or the normal "high level of estrogen - low level of testosterone" common in high school TG stories.

If that is the case, it is good for Erika, in supporting a claim to becoming a girl. It would also make dad's acceptance of the loss of Eric and the gain of Erika easier to accept. It would take the wind out of mom's sails in her opposition to what is occurring.

But, it would change the story dynamic. Up to now there has been conflict, throughout both "Camp Kumoni" and the "Prince and the Plague". The conflicts started over the summer, as to initiating the change and continued through the ultimate revelation/confrontation with mom and dad. In between, there were other such conflicts, conflicts with cabin members, self doubt, initial reaction of mom, finding away to go to school, join the rally team, and the conflict with Tricia.

We can expect more conflicts to occur in the future. How will the family react? Will Uncle Will/Aunt Carrie be supportive (maybe for some reason they will say the change was too traumatic for them and try and convince Eric to stay Eric)? What will the school and the school mates do (to many separate possible conflicts to list)?

But, if the test results come back as: "way too much Estrogen - like the amount a 14 year old girl would be producing" and "No or little testosterone production" and "breast will be budding out any day now", then a lot of the conflict which I believe make the story will disappear or be muted.

It would be easy to say "Well, Eric is well and truly Erika. Has been so since birth. The tests prove it. We just did not know it."

Conflict disappears, Erika goes forward being accepted by one and all as the true girl she is, and the story ends happily. Oh, there could still be some interesting story lines as to what happens with Tricia and Julian, but I think the tension that makes the story great might be lost.

A.A. writes so well that I would still read the story every Monday Night or Tuesday morning.

Just my opinion. A. A. knows where she wants to go and will take us there.

RAMI

RAMI

End P&P here?

So Rami, are you saying that P&P can't possibly get any better? that I've run it through all of the hurdles so that I may as well stop it here?

As you pointed out the story has taken on many evolutions. the becoming Erika, the questioning, the outside acceptance, the internal struggles, the acceptance of what he/zhe might be, the trail of school, the final decision of what she wants to be, AND the outing to the parents. there is no more?

Okay....... And Erika lived happily ever after. The End.

Sorry. I hope I can keep you all reading it for a little bit longer. I'd cross my fingers but I need them to type. ;)

A.A.

I Can't Speak for Rami...

...but you seem to have either misunderstood her completely or tried to change the subject.

What Rami's saying (as I see it) is that you're risking draining most of the conflict out of the story if you decide that Erika has physically been a girl all along. While it "solves" almost everything -- the school can't demand that she attend at Eric, and would probably agree under the circumstances that attending as Erika Summers rather than Erika Martin is best for all concerned; any objections to an RLT and to hormones (if necessary) become moot; Mom and the rest of the family will have it easier accepting a medical verdict than a "mere" question of Erika's self-identification -- it seems to come awfully close to copping out on some of the issues you've been raising since Kumoni.

That's not to say you can't do it -- it seems obvious, with the second round of tests, that you're planning to introduce some medical anomaly -- and you've now put Eric's self-ID question to rest with narrative description in these latest two chapters. (And as I noted in my previous comment, the feel-good mood of this chapter gives the probably-wrong impression that it's clear sailing from here with Erika in fact living happily ever after, assuming Mom and Tricia can be reconciled in their separate ways.)

But I think Rami's right to caution you on it. We'll follow your story wherever it's going, and making Erika some sort of genetic girl sure beats suicide or running Erika under a bus. But it seems that you could be giving up more tension and conflict than you need to if you run that route.

Eric

NO ANISTASIA NO! DO NOT END P & P.

RAMI

NO ANISTASIA NO! DO NOT END P & P.

Anistasia, I thought my comment was clear, I think Eric in his reply understood what I was saying. If I was not clear as to certain things, I am not sure if I can clear it up. But I will try.

To answer your questions.

P & P CAN GET BETTER.

NO DO NOT END IT HERE.

A. A. I am sure that you have many great ideas that can be written about. You can put Eric/a and the gang through many great adventures, trials and tribulations.

P & P or sequels thereto CAN RUN FOR YEARS. Stories after High Schools, Stories in College, stories while married, stories about her kids.

A. A. I said I would continue to follow the story no matter what.

My comment was basically on one plot issue and only on one plot issue. It had to do with the results of the blood test. While I can not cite the stories, there are several on this site or the other's out there, where generally, a teenager has a gender identity crises.

The boy has desires to be a girl. There are conflicts. He has a blood test. Wonder of wonders, his estrogen is high, his testosterone is low (or whatever), usually they discover female reproductive organs, and breast are about to blossom. Conflict ends, everyone accepts old boy as a girl. Everyone lives happily-ever-after, as all good fairy tales do.

You wrote, "Okay....... And Erika lived happily ever after. The End."

I want this story to continue, with conflicts and all. I was just pointing out that the blood results scenario that I described could lead to the very results that you predicted would happen, but do not want to happen.

I am sure even with the scenario I described about the blood test, you could easily and convincingly take the story in another direction. I think the best way to describe what I wrote, is perhaps as a caution, not to write yourself into a corner that might be hard to get out of.

With true respect for you, your writing and this story.

RAMI

RAMI

I think that you can keep it interesting.

Amy_Daemon's picture

Your writing has been so good that I think that you can easily keep the continuing adventures of Erika interesting even if she is intersexed and more of a genetic girl than a boy.

I found your Camp Kumoni story just last week, and have now not only finished it, but am up to date on the Princess and the Plague.

I eagerly await the next installment of P&P, and I hope that you keep writing about Erika for a long time.

*hugs*

Amy Daemon

A stranger is just a friend that you haven't met yet.

I do believe that Tricia is

I do believe that Tricia is being just a tad bit over the top regarding her grounding. She was the one who pulled a very unknowing Erika into the party scene. She had been told by Erika that she knew nothing about the parties or what took place at them as she had never been to one; I mean who was going to invite the "Plague"? PLUS, she also was convinced by Tricia to start drinking when Erika had no experience there either. Tricia should be aplogizing to Erika big time for messing over her AND leaving her defenseless at a party knowing full well that Erika was drunk and or partially stoned from what she had been smoking (another item Erika had no history of using before Tricia got her into it). Just my take on Tricia's "friendship" with Erika. I am very happy for Erika as it relates to her Father, now if only her Mother will come to the party and be accepting of her new daughter and protect her. J-Lynn

Another lovely chapter

Thanks for posting another sweet and tender piece of writing.

Hugs

Alys

Teaser

I can't believe nobody's mentioned the self-referential teaser yet!

"So my cheerleader daughter is a lesbian? This sounds like some fantastical story you'd find online --
mind you, not one of the smutty sites, but one of the classy ones."

Ooh, lets see, you wouldn't be thinking of this site by any chance? :D
Or at least, I don't recall seeing the letter between Z and C repeated thrice, or mentions of just-cooked poultry (other than in the food sense!)

 
 
--Ben


This space intentionally left blank.

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Looking up

Things are looking up hopefully things get resolved.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

Some good, some bad

great to have Dad on board, bad that Mom's gone off the rails, and her girlfriend is still mad at her

DogSig.png