The Girl in Me -1-

Printer-friendly version

The Girl in Me
CHAPTERS 1-3
 
by Erin Amelia Fletcher
 
Please keep in mind most names, and some specific details, have been altered, to limit the amount of Strife within those associated within whom may come in contact with this.

This is the parody story to my poem I am a Girl, please enjoy...

 
 

Chapter 1

 
 
It all started when I was born, fate dealt me an unruly hand. I was quiet when I was born, so quiet my mum feared I was a still-born. I was wrapped in blue, and handed to my mum with the words "It's a boy". Mum was happy that her first born was alive, and a boy. She always kept me close even to this day, when I was born she kept me in her room, because she feared baby snatchers (it was the late 80's). That was until she started working, but that'll be later in the story.

My Grandma was very upset that I was born a boy, though I can't say as I blame her. My dad was proud that his first child had been a Son and named me after some sports guy (Derek Fletcher) isn't that a macho thing to do.

I lived a very happy life up until I was about 3 or 4 my newly sister was about 1 or 2 at the time but we were fair in size. We were going to go to Canada's Wonderland theme park, and mum had packed for an overnight stay, for all of us. Nature I think started to kick in to me that night before everyone was awake in the house. It's like I was called to it like a magnetic force. I remember getting out a yellow(ish) sun-dress from the bag and putting it on. Somehow I must have been making a noise doing so and ended up waking my Mum. Mum came down and caught me wearing Mary's sun-dress. The last thing I remember is Mum taking the dress off of me and saying "Boy's don't do that", and "I hope your not going weird on me". I of course was held back by this, leading me to be very confused because I enjoyed it, and would have it on my mind every now and then at that age.

Maybe a month or so after this incident I started having dreams that made me even more confused. One day my Mum was doing the laundry and she was folding a pink party dress of my sister's, and I told her of my dream. "I was wearing the pink dress mommy, and I went outside and everyone was laughing and pointing at me, then everyone treated me like a girl it was real nice" I said. "Well stop having weird dreams, boys don't dream about stuff like that, your not a girl, your a boy and I don't want you going weird on me" she said to me with a disgusted questioning look in her eyes. Somehow this caused a mental block of what nature was trying to tell me, I stopped having the dreams and the thoughts and was my old self as my mum would say.

My dad, whom its hard to say from at that time what I saw and was told, wasn't exactly man of the year. He worked a lot, slept a lot, and if he was awake it was doing negative things to my Mum that I'd rather not mention. I used to try and get his attention, usually by waking during the night and I'd watch a hockey game with him (even though I absolutely hate sports) which ended up with him actually taking me to a game. After awhile I stopped that and pretended to sleep- walk, till he would find me and set me asleep on the couch.

In 1993, I was 4 and my mum and dad got separated (Mum says it was because of abuse, dad says mum was infidelic) I chose the abuse excuse. Be in mind though that Mum got married when she was 19 to my dad who was nearly 32 after only dating for 5 weeks, so she could get away from her parents. Mum got us and the rental house, though the mothers allowance etc... didn't allow much to live on so she rented out the basement to a neighbor, Richard. He was nice though he was to bossy and bigoted for his own good, heck he'd make Archy Bunker look like a ballerina, seriously. Though it was a few months after Richard started living with us and Mum and Richard started a courting relationship. The following summer we moved out of Waterloo and into Kitchener, which Richard came with us and Mum and him started up a common-law relationship.
 
 

Chapter 2

 
 
We were living in Kitchener in a house next-door to my great-aunt Cathy. Richard was working as a construction worker and Mum was working in a plastics factory (dad wasn't paying any child support). I was in the first grade at J. F. Carmichael Public School, and Mary was in Pre-Kindergarten at the same school.

After about a year or 2 living in Kitchener, we needed a babysitter. So Mum and Richard agreed to let my cousin Lisa's friend Ginny babysit us.

Mum was at work and Richard had to go to work but waited for Ginny to show up and introduce us and get her settled in the emergency procedures, phone numbers, and where everything was etc.

Richard then left us alone with the babysitter, Mary was very open to her though I didn't trust her (First babysitter that wasn't family or elderly). We didn't know what to do and Mary suggested we play Barbie's. I was used to it since Mary got her first Barbie stuff we've played together with them. Well this started up a conversation while we played, Mary left to go to the bathroom and the babysitter asked me if I liked playing with dolls.

"Yea, I've been playing dolls with Mary for since she first got them, mum said uncle Mike played dolls with her when she was younger so there wasn't anything wrong with me playing with them" I answered.

"Have you ever played dress-up?" asked Ginny.

"You mean like Halloween" I replied, and Ginny nodded.

"Not unless mum is cleaning out the Halloween stuff, nearer to Halloween". I answered.

"Would you like to play dress-up its really fun for kids your age?" asked Ginny.

"Sure but it's in the ceiling attack, and we can't go up there" I replied.

Mary came back in from the bathroom and wondered what we were talking about.

"Mary would you like to play dress-up, little girls love to play dress-up?" asked Ginny, Mary didn't even take a second to answer "Yes".

"Well seems how were playing Barbie's, why don't you two dress like sisters" suggested Ginny.

"Oh yes that will be fun, but Derek is a boy and a little bigger than me" replied Mary.

"I don't think so, boys don't dress like girls, Mum will think I've gone weird" I said very nervously.

"Well I think we can find something, and it's just for fun and well get you changed before your parents find out" Replied Ginny rather encouraging.

"Please Derek it'll be fun, I always wanted a sister and pretending will make me happy. Mommy and Daddy says its your job as the big brother to make me happy right" stated Mary.

"Well if you all promise me I'll be out of the clothes before Mum and Richard get home, and that you'll keep it a secret, I'll do it" I replied.

"I Promise" Ginny and Mary said in almost unison.

Mary and Ginny started rummaging around in Mary's closet and handed me a pokadot styled sailor dress.

"Go to your room, take off your clothes except for your underwear, and slip this on" encouragly ordered Ginny as she pointed the front from the back (like I was an idiot, Mary wore it a hundred times) I reluctantly left, walking down the hall as if it was the green mile. I kept telling myself this is just for fun, doing my job by Mary by making her happy.

I put on the dress, and had to go to the washroom (nerves go figure) I was washing up after relieving myself, and caught a glimpse of myself. Except for the very short haircut I looked like a girl. My brain (I think) was telling me that I was doing wrong, but everything else like my heart and butterflies in my tummy was saying I was doing right. I braced myself and somehow managed to bring myself to meet back up with Mary and Ginny who were waiting back in Mary's bedroom.

I opened the door and went inside, they gasped Ginny said "You look pretty".

"My big sister lets play Barbie's now" said Mary with excitement pulling me towards the dolls. We played for another hour or so, and I loosened up. Mary had the gall to tell a secret to Ginny

"Derek taught me how to curtsey a year ago when mummy started work" Ginny giggled over that like there was no tomorrow making feel real uneasy.

"Can you show me?" Ginny asked rather curiously. I showed her and explained why I taught her. See Mary was very forgetful and Mum was working so I'd watch Mum when she taught Mary almost anything so if like usual Mary wanted a reminder on something I could show her, and that's how the curtsy teaching came to be. After all, when dad left he said it was my job to be there when Mary or Mum needed me, because I was "the Man of the House".

That night I got my first taste of speed changing, because we lost track of time. Though I luckily got changed and handed the dress back to Ginny only minutes before Richard returned with my Mum. Ginny left saying "see you's tomorrow" and we waved goodbye.

I said hi to Mum and Richard and went to the bathroom. When I came downstairs the worst had happened. I faintly heard what was going on, "So what did you and Derek do with the babysitter today" asked Richard. "We had lots of fun, me and Derek..." said Mary before her Grammar was corrected "Well Derek and I were playing Barbie's, and Derek dressed up in one of my dresses and pretended to be my big sister" continued Mary pointing at me when I was walking into the kitchen to them. Mum nearly had a stroke, and Richard glared at me like you'd expect if I had blown up the world.

I swear it was a minute of total silence that felt like an hour. "So you were dressing like a girl, did you like it, did it make you feel pretty" said Richard with a mocking effeminate loose wrist. "No, she's making it up cause I wouldn't" I replied fairly upset with Mary looking right at her. It was dropped and I went upstairs to my bedroom after super. I promised that one day I'd get even with her for breaking her promise. That night I fell asleep crying, but didn't know why, though I wouldn't get a glimpse of understanding for another year.
 
 

Chapter 3

 
 
Over the next few months I had got callings to the feminine clothing almost like an addiction, I would sneak in the hampers, take from my sisters closet and eventually her drawers. One day I even read and looked through a catalogue for sears in the bathroom. I enjoyed looking through the girls section, and found the cutest Christmas outfit. It had was a plaid skirt (green, red, and black), a pretty light pink blouse, with a velvet style vest of red and green, black Mary-Janes, and white tights. That I think was my first enviousness over girls, which wouldn't go away and only escalated.

One day while Ginny was babysitting Mary and I while Lisa was over, they went out for a little while to do something and Mary had one of her Jean skirts with a belt through the loops laying neatly on her bed. When they left it was like the skirt was a magnet and I was its metal. I stripped my pants off in a rush and attached the skirt in place and put the belt on with some difficulty, observing myself in the mirror. Suddenly I heard the girls coming back and I hurried to change, the belt stuck in place and I swear I must have been hyperventilating. The next thing I knew the door opened while I heard voices "I thought we left the door open" luckily Ginny walked in first, and saw me first sight, pushing Mary and Lisa out into the hall before they saw anything while trying to enter. Ginny closed the door and helped me out of the skirt, trying to undo the belt having almost equal difficulty as I did. Eventually she got it off of me, handing me back my pants.

She sat me down on Mary's bed and asked me why I had on Mary's skirt, I hesitated for a couple of minutes in shame before I answered her.

"They call to me, I can't help it when its on me its like it's my skin, I feel so normal and right with it on" I said kinda without really thinking. "Well that's ok, lots of boys go through a stage like this" replied Ginny.

"But it doesn't feel like a stage it feels natural like a calling, like they were made for me" I said.

"Well obviously that belt wasn't met for you, it was like a finger trap attached to you" said Ginny with a little humorous giggle.

"That was an accident, I felt like was going to die when that happened" I said out of defense (My sense of humor wasn't in good condition at the moment). Suddenly I felt embarrassment and shame again, and I continued by pleading "please don't tell them, please".

"I promise, just don't be so sad over this and put on a smile, ok" answered Ginny as I meekly replied "ok". Ginny then got up patting my head and opening the door letting the others back in.

Ginny told them ask no questions, unknown to me she whimpered to Lisa "I'll tell you later, ok" with Lisa nodding in agreement. The night then passed peaceful with me a little quiet while I was putting up a front for one of the first times in my life.

A couple of nights later my parents asked Ginny to babysit us while we were already asleep. Ginny was left alone and invited Lisa over with her. Then it all started in the middle of the night Ginny awoke Mary and I telling us we could stay up as she was babysitting.

"I still don't believe that he does it, Gin" said Lisa. "He does trust me I've seen it and he says he enjoys it like they were made for him" replied Ginny in a almost loud whisper, that I over heard and got a cringe in my stomach.

"Hey Derek, do you want to play dress-up I know you really enjoy it" said Ginny in a giggle. I think I went beat red and almost fainted.

"No your crazy Ginny, I've never played dress-up in my life" I said in a white-lie defense.

"Yes you have Derek, a few months ago remember" said Mary yawning as she spoke wearing her long white nighty with a little ribbon on the front holding a multi-colored clown (I hated clowns and gave it to her).

"Oh come on silly if you don't we'll make you" said Ginny kinda demanding and ticked off. I then ran away to get rid of them hiding in Mary's closet sitting in a fetal position. Lisa then found me and asked why I'm afraid as it's only a game, and I told her that "she promised me she wouldn't tell, just like Mary".

"So it is true then, well it'll be our little secret and I won't go blabbing. Wait here ok and I'll tell her to back off, you look like you've seen a ghost" said Lisa empathically.

I cannot recall much of what happened that night after that scenario, except when I was put in bed Ginny came right to me and tucked me in she said point blank, "if you get me fired, I'll tell everyone your secret". I of course didn't want that at least not then.


 
To Be Continued...

up
121 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Very interestig and nice.

I don't know what it is with truck drivers and construction workers, and men who feel they own the world. But poor Derek has the right to the girl she is in her soul. You said this was a parody based on your poem, but it reads true of what happens to most males who show their femininity. I was like Derek in many ways except I had love and support when I was very young. My babysitter wasn't cruel like Ginny, and the girls that were and still are my friends helped me then to gain more and more confidence in being the girl I really am openly. In my blog Chrissie is ready is the address in the third comment on how to order my book Chrissie. That tells about a lot of the love and support I had in the little town I grew up in.

It seems the mother and her boyfriend Richard like dictating just who Derek should be, instead of sitting down and talking to her and see just who she really is. Derek's sister and Ginny seem to be so cruel that everytime they promise to keep a secret, they blab it to everyone. This is a nice start to a very good story line. Thank you for sharing this with us.

Also it says you are a new author. Welcome BCTS and I hope you make lots and lots of friends here.

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

Thanks

This story although is parodied from my poem "I am a Girl" http://www.bigclosetr.us/topshelf/fiction/11672/i-am-girl

This story is based on my life as lived, and then when it catches up with where a i am at the moment may be changed slightly wetc, because its future may become more furthur along than mine at the moment, i plan to take it from life to death and then through generations, i know perhaps sounds corny but thats what i wannna do lol.. thanks for reading my story hopes ya keep it up, Erin Amelia Fletcher. :)

Amelia Rosewood Year two.png

With Love and Light, and Smiles so Bright!

Erin Amelia Fletcher

dear Erin

I like your poem and your story, please continue if that is what you wish to do for i truly like
the first section of your The Girl In Me story

Girl Inside

littlerocksilver's picture

Nice start, Erin. :) Portia

Portia

Local Dialect

This is really great, very parallel to many stories, incuding mine. Nice job.

Oh, before the editor mongers get to you, I for one like the feel of your local dialect. I really enjoy things that are a bit different.

Many Blessings

Gwendolyn

Just found this!

Hey this is pretty good stuff. Derek is not in a good situation. Much like what I went though, but I had better understanding parents. Clueless, but still never cruel.

Hugs!

grover

thanks grover

hopes ya read more hun, much more to come too, i aint kicking off yet lol. hopes to hear from ya again

with love
Erin amelia Fletcher

Amelia Rosewood Year two.png

With Love and Light, and Smiles so Bright!

Erin Amelia Fletcher

The Girl In Me

Can explain the trials and tribulations of all girls here. Just because the body does not match up with the true gender, does not mean that person is wierd, just in need of sorting.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

thanks stanman

That is so true, everytime my mum said the famous "I hope your not going wierd on me" I just said to myself Everyone is wierd in there own way I just happen to have more wierdness than most, but that keeps the world cycling on both ups and downs, we dont need everyone to be the same what fun would that be eh...
Thanks for writing hun
Erin Amelia FLetcher
:)

Amelia Rosewood Year two.png

With Love and Light, and Smiles so Bright!

Erin Amelia Fletcher

if

everyone was a duplicate of everyone else this old world
would get very boring very quickly.....Erin, you are amazing, original but
still amazing plus I love your picture....Stanman you are so understanding
and full of positivity and acceptance which makes you amazing too,
thank you everyone

Autobiographical?

Aljan Darkmoon's picture

I had skipped over this story in my previous runs through the authors list because of the coercion elements listed in the tags, but decided, this time through, to give it a try. The tagging for this chapter turns out to have been spot on. This is trigger stuff for me, so I have to write it out of my system.

This is a horror story, the sort that plays out in families round the globe, wherever people live. This sort of thing is what leaves so many of us spending the balance of our lives attempting to sort out the mess left to us as a legacy. If this chapter describes what actually went down in your family, it is no wonder that you came to feel as you do.

In I Am a Girl, you wrote “I hate men for not being gentle and making me hate myself”

There is a lot to hate about what traditional masculinity does to malekind, but girls are not all “sugar and spice and everything nice,” either. Most humans, both male and female, have by nature the potential to be selfish, aggressive, destructive, and far from gentle. Because of our physical differences, though, aggression tends to play out differently in males and females. Males posture and attempt to intimidate with their physical size and muscle mass, because healthy (adult) males know that, if it actually comes to blows, it may be fatal for someone. Females, on the other hand, learn early on to develop the art of psychological warfare; this chapter is a fairly accurate portrait illustrating a few commonplace tactics: plausible, persuasive arguments that are not really anchored in anything solid; spilling secrets shared in confidence; telling half-truths (especially when spilling secrets) to convey false impressions of events, and threats anchored in blackmail. The only way a male can win this game is to become at least as ruthless as the girls, and much better at playing it than they are. In the War Between the Sexes, psychological strategies trump physical force most of the time, because it is the mind that directs the muscles, and because we heavily sanction those males who resort to force or intimidation, thereby essentially disarming them.

Also in I Am a Girl,“I envy my sister for having everything on a silver platter”

Females have many real-world advantages, and they learn early on how to leverage them to maximum effect and benefit. They flock together, support each other, talk about everything, share information. They are vocal, proactive, they never stop, and they certainly don’t “take it like a man.” The guys really don’t stand much of a chance. There is a lot to envy in that.

Very true, thank you

sorry for not having gotten to this until now, I rarely ever log on...mostly cause well with my dissassociative amnesia I tend to forget me passwords. Yes, the first few parts are akin to a horror story, however this is the softer side to the actuality, mostly because back when I wrote it, I have had a lot of things not only blacked out, from trauma, but kept from me, right from the day I was born. It has taken a very long time, to get to meself, when I first posted this, I was just out of highschool, and now I am 30. Being in therapy since I was 17, has helped to alleviate some of those blocks, but I still have much more to go. I did not, or at least do not recall yet if I had included the sexual abuse, my first being the babysitter and her boyfriend when I was 6 out of blackmail/extortion. Let alone how it was my mum and stepdad that not only permitted it, but set me up. Ya sounds like something right out of Hollywood, but I swear to the Moirae, it is true. Even things in this story, even later admissions, are not as fictional as they appear, there is a lot of things I did change, a lot of things I left out or included etc....I did not mention at all in this tale that my entire teen years pretty much, was spent in hospital and or under recuperation from 3 spinal based operations, relearning to walk 4 times...There was a lot. The evening I wrote my original poem however my mum and stepdad held a intervention for hours with me, trying to sway my identity, they worked hard at it....I was angry and told my mum what my stepdad did to me weeks prior (bruised/broke my ribs) because I was told I wasn't to have feminine things in the house, so the ones I did have I removed bit by bit hid them in a special place and my dad would pick it up in the evenings...but of all things to be caught sneaking out....my foam breast falsies, poked out from the inside of my jacket secret pocket (I ripped a section open a while prior to sneak things in, especially transitional paperwork and reading material I got from counselling)...well she said some fowl things to me, saying its my fault etc, he changing his story 3 times in the seating, and many more times over the years and she still either believes him or pretending too, but either way still sides in his favour. Her, my stepdad, my sister, nephew, niece, and maternal side of me family, are no longer in contact with me, due to abuse....even my own mum does not know I know the secret she has kept about me, from the day I was born, stupid to give me my medical file and leave that document, as vague as it was in the folder...she knows I like research so its pretty naïve to think I wouldn't look through it like Pandora and her box. Quite honestly my life not perfect, was better or the best in my early 20's, now and before that was all sorts of horror. The cycle of abuse, even against oneself with poor decisions that repeat themselves are very real. I am not only sorry your triggered, but I completely understand your predicament. Hopefully you may feel better soon.

Amelia Rosewood Year two.png

With Love and Light, and Smiles so Bright!

Erin Amelia Fletcher

wow this is sad

so you felt like this since you were five. thats average and you had parents that didnt accept it. Thats also sadly average

But then you had a sister that kept making you dress for her and saying you had to to make her happy. Which in all honestly, you should have had little problem with as it also made you happy. But it got you beatings by your parents and she enjoyed telling them, and kept making you
thats sadistic
And then a babysitter that also liked making you dress for your sister mary and getting you into trouble
and threatening to reveal it to everyone if you got her in trouble
you should have done it anyway

but you were 4

Yes though...

Due to more filled in memories.... the sadism of it all was far worse then I wrote here... the revision is going to be extremely longer, with alot more details...
Especially against.... the first time of the worst moment of my life, involving the babysitter and her boyfriend.... I must warn you though.... the revision will be extremely open... (It will have details, wha little is still fresh on childhood sexual abuse... though thankfully enough is vague, it will not go any deeper then what I have speken to you in private about) even though it starts to go into a fictional setting later (my true teen years were still too hazy to recall much, I was in and out of hospitals for life saving surgeries alot) though I will use snippets of memory, into the fiction.
My sister, then was pretty laid back... she got much much much worse as we got older... my therapists as well as my own experiences with others, have claimed the fact that her, my stepfather & 3 ex's are sociopathic narccissits.
There is a whole lot of things that were left out, things becoming known again, fresh mor or less that putting the context down would be prudent.
I am considering adding my 'lively' yet as it was miserable, dark episodes of my teen years, blended into the fiction... but I dunno.... you know yourself the things I could add that most would be freaked out about... though too if I should with much or parts being so hazy

Amelia Rosewood Year two.png

With Love and Light, and Smiles so Bright!

Erin Amelia Fletcher

Wow, this is a great start to

Wow, this is a great start to your story. I came here after you shared your life story of your attempted suicide on my Christian's Gender Problem page, as I was curious as to what stories you had. And I was pleased with what I found here. I don't know if I'll have the time to finish this story, but if I do have the time, then I will.

mysteryman

Thanks!

The first (book) is completed
However I am at making a much more intense edited & expanded revision of it... too may things hat I need to corect and alter and add and take away... I have been trying to get this done for years... but the muse seems to have lost its flavour
I also have 12 or 13 other storie ideas planned and in the making, and each one is a serial (combination of books as well as parts/chapters to those books)
at least 2 of them are far more intensive then what I currently have done

Amelia Rosewood Year two.png

With Love and Light, and Smiles so Bright!

Erin Amelia Fletcher