Gerold vs. the Good Old Boys -01-

Printer-friendly version
Gerold

Gerold vs. the Good Old Boys

1/ Shock Advised

By Jo Dora Webster


Cover Art by Melanie E.

What complications will arise out of Gerald's heart attack
while on an undercover story assignment?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


1/ Shock Advised


I doubled over with pain as Grace looked over in dismay to my contortions. The uncontrolled jerking stopped as I turned out of my office chair and into the floor. I could no longer see but I could still hear. I couldn't breath and I couldn't speak as I lie helplessly on the floor.

"Gerald, Are you OK? Are you alright?"

She patted my arm briskly hoping for a response but I couldn't give one.

Grace's voice said, "Celesta, Call 911! Veronica, Get the AED!"

I knew that the AED was the automatic electronic defibrillator that could be used to restart someone's heart if needed.

Veronica and Celesta responded as I felt the pressure of Grace's fingers on my throat feeling for my pulse. Then she must have placed a mask over my nose and mouth and tilted my head back and blew two quick breaths into me and afterward began to apply pressure in regular thrusts to the right place on my chest to get the blood pumping. A couple more breaths then I felt pads being affixed to my chest which had been laid bare

A mechanical voice said "Stay clear, Evaluating...... Shock Advised....."

A bolt of electricity surged into my heart and my heart began to pump on its own and I began to breathe as I lapsed into sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In my dream state the events replayed in my mind.

'How did a macho man like me get into a workplace with the distaff stamp upon it, filled with women?'

In answer to that, I found myself back in the Waffle House sitting at a booth across from my best friend, Grace. She'd been venting about work and I had found myself tuning out just a bit. I had learned that Grace didn't want me to solve her troubles, but just listen. It was really hard not to try to solve things for Grace since I cared about her so deeply.

"So you are a hot shot reporter, right?"

"Almost. Most of my work is undercover so I write under a pen name. But that pen name is pretty well known for my exposes."

"For the sake of the people of Georgia, it's time to unearth the corruption of my boss's boss. I've tried getting the goods myself, but he won't confide in a 'skirt' even when I use all my feminine charms. I bet another 'good ole boy' would have the best chance at finding out what he's hiding. Guys tell each other everything."

"I take it he's a died in the wool male chauvinist pig!"

"You've got it! I've gotten the impression that he's the bottom of the totem pole and it involves a number of high placed officials, perhaps even the Governor himself. Do you think that you could help uncover it?"

"Grace, I'll do my best to pitch it to the newspaper. Can you provide me with the information that you have so far?"

"Sure, It isn't enough to build a case on yet since some of it is just hunches based on conscience."

"I'm sold on the story since you are, Grace. I'll convince them. Have you any ideas on how to get me undercover?"

"That's the easy part. There is a clerical job in my working group. If you start working here in our 'hen house' you'll have the chance to have lunch and breaks along with the other men in the facility including my boss's boss. It will be a way in to their world in a low enough position that they won't feel that you are a threat to them."

"That may just work, Grace. What exactly do you do in your 'hen house' "

She blushed, "No, its not like that! We work for the State Department of Transportation. In our office, we regulate outdoor signage. It can get a bit complicated in granting permits since not only did we have to go by the state laws in granting permits but also the county regulations as well. I work with the renewals and the vacancy we have is a person who works with initial requests which is the position that I would help you get."

"Who else works there?"

"Veronica, with her para-legal training, maintains the files on all of the county ordinances. She will advise both of us when we have questions on how to apply the law in the permit process. Mostly the county ordinances follow set patterns so it's easy mostly but Veronica is there to clarify anything that is out of the ordinary."

"What's she like? "

"She's very sultry with green eyes, red hair and a wonderfully curvy figure. She also knows martial arts so you'd best behave yourself."

"I'll behave. Please, tell me about your next co-worker?"

"Celesta is with us temporarily for her work study program. I will be very sad to see her leave when her time with us is up. She does the filing and secretarial duties for our working group. She is a major help as she keeps all the paper in the office organized."

"How would you describe her?"

"She has the enthusiasm of youth. She can't stay still so she's up and doing something all the time. She is boisterous and perky like a cheerleader. She looks the part with her long blonde hair, blue eyes, and perfect teeth and a body in Barbie proportions. She tends to wear the kind of short skirts and revealing tops that look so good on a girl her age."

I had the kind of far away look with a smile on my face that Grace playfully slapped my hand.

"None of that, my friend, I know that you will have to play the macho conquistador for your cover, but these are my friends. I expect you to treat them with the respect that you've always treated me."

"Of course my dear, but if one of them throws herself at me, you can't begrudge me catching them, can you?"

"I guess. There's one other woman in the office and that's my boss, Reyna Langston. She is the glue that holds us all together. Reyna is a skilled lawyer who is climbing the governmental ladder. "

"What traits does she have?"

"She's a mousy kind of woman with her looks but don't let that fool you. Deep down she is a very passionate woman about everything that she does. She's very fair, and not too thrilled about her boss's misconduct. She'll help in keeping your cover and making sure you have access to dig up information for the story."

"I really feel that this will work. I'll get right on it and pitch the story to my editor. Thank you ma'am!"

And it did work, I was accepted as one of the guys, socially in the workplace. That's all I needed, between what I was able to overhear and the access to computer and records to follow up, I had built up a compelling case against Mr. James Thornton , mid level manager and 'Good ole boy'. I was working my way up the food chain following the money.

The funny thing was that I was accepted in Grace's working group even though I was a rooster in the hen house. The rest of the women accepted me because of Grace's friendship for me. The macho thing was more overtly an act for my cover. Once the other women realized that Grace and I would have nothing beyond our life long friendship, sparks would fly as each in turn would compete for my attention. Life was good so I didn't have a clue what might be the reason for the cardiac arrest that had gripped me.

Reyna had taken us all out to lunch as a reward for the plan that we together had come up with to make the office more efficient. After lunch we had all gotten back into the office, except for Grace who had excused herself to run an errand. We settled back into the banter that went on in between working on our tasks..

"Celesta, how are things going with John?'

"Couldn't be better, Gerald. I'm still embarrassed about my school girl crush on you, when I threw myself at you. You introducing me to John when I thought that I had you to myself was the best thing that happened to me so far in my life. Both John and I will be completing this work study segment soon and we'll both be back in college together. I have a feeling that this is the real thing and not just another tryst."

"Good for you, Celesta. John is very lucky to have you in his life. I'm glad that I had a chance to bring you two together."

Celesta wrapped me up in a hug and kiss that raised my blood pressure several points and things sprang to life that had a mind of their own. "Thank you, Gerald. I'll really miss you when my time here is over."

"Gerald, you wouldn't be letting someone poach in my territory?"

Veronica's green eyes flared with jealousy and her flaming red hair flashing as she jerked her head around to face me.

"Not in the least, Veronica. You know I only have eyes for you. Celesta was just thanking me for introducing her to John."

"Well, you'll have to prove it!" She drew me into an embrace with her and began the kind of kiss that I would ordinarily only enjoy before lots more things were to happen behind closed doors. My blood pressure was through the roof but I was in heaven.

All of a sudden there was a giggle through out the office, as Reyna appeared from her private office to weigh in on the public displays of affection.

"Girls, please let Gerald alone. I know we play our parts to help Gerald out. Teasing him when no one else is around may be a little too much temptation no matter how much he is a gentleman."

"Awww, you're no fun!"

"Just be glad that Grace is not here. She's a lot more protective of Gerald than I am. Back to work, Ladies and Gentleman!"

"Yes ma'am!" "Thank you, Reyna!" "Of course, Reyna"

I still had a very red face when Grace arrived back in the office. She came over to check on me when my heart suddenly was in so much pain that I could not stand it and somehow I knew that this time it wasn't gas pains. It began all over again but I still could not tell what it was that brought the heart attack upon me. I hoped for a good outcome when at last this came out on the other side instead of the events replaying over and over again.


up
149 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Good Story, Ariel

I can see a few possibilities with it. it will be fun to see where you take it.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Expanded from the first time around

Hi Stan,
I am excited about the possibilities with this as well. Instead of rushing thru the core plot of the hows of Gerald's transition, I hope with this replacement of the original 2 chapters that I wrote with at least 5 chapters and perhaps 6. At the end of that sequence then the cliff hanger that I wrote at the end of the original chapter 2 will occur and the story will resume backed with all of the new things that have happened with the new telling.

This one explores things in a new way and I am hopeful that I will be able to write well enough to present the story in the way that I would like to write.

I hope that you enjoy the journey!
Ariel Montine

Jo Dora Webster

You are the leader

Take us on your journey!

So far so good.

LoL
Rita

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

Glad you are along on the journey!

Hi Rita,
I'm glad that you are coming along on the journey with us. I'll try to keep a steady pace so that we all can enjoy it.

Jo Dora Webster

Good start Ariel

Good start Ariel, Glad you've decided to give your characters time to develop, It all adds to the enjoyment of your story.

Looking forward to reading more About Gerald soon.

Kirri

More to come

Hi Kirri,
I'm glad that you enjoyed part 1. While there isn't any TG in it yet, we get to meet Gerald and his friends and co workers. Gerald has some good friends in the workplace to come thru for him when he has his heart attack.

If things go well then the EMT's will arrive and take Gerald to the Hospital. They are always doing tests there to find out what caused the obvious symptoms. What will they find?

Thanks for your comments and I hope you enjoy Gerald's journey.

Jo Dora Webster

a rooster in the hen house

Almost all the jobs I held were female dominated. non of my co-workers ever tried to kiss me, though ...

DogSig.png