Legend of the Ancient Kingdoms: Chapter 9: Rescues and Realisations.

Printer-friendly version

Legend of the Ancient Kingdoms



 
Athanas is in the hands of kidnappers whose intentions are unknown; can Natasa reach him before it's too late? With her emotions running high Natasa sets off in Ishtar determined to get back the man she loves. Woe betides those who have taken him for Hell have no fury like Natasa scorned.


 

Chapter 9: Rescues and Realizations

At the same time Natasa was leaving in Ishtar just on the outskirts of Carthage Athanas was coming to. Where am I? He thought as he slowly opened his eyes, as they focuses he suddenly remembered the events at the palace.

Even though he had trained for situations like this and under normal circumstances would not have allowed himself to be captured today of all days he had other things on his mind.
The prince sat for a moment reflecting on the events leading to this point. Just before the attack he had just fallen to sleep and had entered the garden as always.

As he walked along enjoying the breeze he saw her only this time he could see her face, it was Natasa staring back at him with eyes wide in shock. He had a feeling she was the one since the moment he had seen her in the real world, the minute she took his arm he knew she was his soul mate who he had been waiting for since he was 12.

She looked as beautiful as ever standing there in the garden but it was short lived as he was soon shaken from his dream by a noise. His room was dark as he had left it but there were footsteps. He quickly arose and grabbed his sword ready to investigate but it was unnecessary as the intruders showed themselves.

Three of them engaged him while two others went for the main doors, Athanas found himself managing to take one of them out in the bathroom and as he was preparing to fight the other 2 he found the world going dark.

Athanas realised the other two must have returned and hit him from behind while he was busy concentrating on the two left in the bathroom. Athanas shook himself out of his recollection and found himself within a room that appeared to be in a mecha. The screen at the front of the room showed they were in the midst of a battle.

From what Athanas could see things did not seem to be going well for the Akkadian forces, in fact they were being pinned down by his captors. Athanas could also tell that the majority of the fire wasn’t coming from the mecha he was in but from either side. He could only draw one conclusion that whoever kidnapped him meant business and appeared to have brought quite a large group of mecha’s.

As Athanas was evaluating the situation the door to the cockpit area opened and Athanas could hear raised voices of the men inside.

“Look,” said one of the voices “he’s going to be executed anyway so we might as well get it over with and throw the body out the airlock.”

“No,” said another voice “they want him alive so they can do the honours themselves.”

“I don’t care what they want, the longer we stay ere the more chance of them getting reinforcements. We can hold out against this many but this job ain’t worth dying for.” Said the first voice angrily

Athanas quickly closed his eyes as the kidnapper walked in and the door to the cockpit closed. Athanas could hear the kidnapper’s footsteps getting closer and knew even though he couldn’t move his arms he had to make a move to takeout the guy about to kill him.

Suddenly before the guy got close enough the intercom sounded and the other voice spoke.

“Drakon get in ere quick we’ve got trouble.”

As Drakon rushed back to the cockpit Athanas opened his eyes to see what all the fuss was about. The source of the panic surprised him, there floating above the Akkadian mecha’s position appeared the goddess of war in all her glory. Her wings were spread and her sword drawn, as Athanas watched Ishtar suddenly with blistering speed flew straight towards them.

Abruptly the screen went dead and he could feel the mecha drop to the ground. Immediately Drakon and his companion came rushing in weapons drawn.

“Good job you didn’t kill him,” said the unknown man “were gonna need him to get out of ere alive,”

“What was that thing,” asked Drakon in a slight panic.

Athanas piped up “that my friends is the goddess of war, I suggest you let me go now before she really gets mad,”

“We ain’t letting you go,” said Drakon as his comrade undid Athanas’s restraints and got him to his feet.

“Your coming with us,” said the unknown guy as he pushed Athanas towards the airlock.

As they exited the mecha the kidnappers pushed Athanas behind a nearby wall, Athanas looked up at the battle taking place. A huge grin appeared on his face, his princess was here for him and he could not help but be amazed by her fighting prowess. In all there appeared to be around fifteen heavily armed enemy mecha.

It also appeared Natasa had already downed four including the mecha Athanas had been held in. Back in Ishtar’s cockpit Natasa noticed Athanas and his captors the minute they exited the wolf she had just cut the legs from.

Natasa hadn’t got time to help Athanas right now as there were too many enemy mecha’s advancing on her position. Natasa lunged forward slicing straight through one of the oncoming mecha’s, another tried to get to her from behind but Natasa spun Ishtar’s sword and thrust it backwards impaling the cockpit area.

As the other enemy mecha’s began to concentrate on Natasa, Adrastus and his men were finally able to get in position to help out. In no time at all only one enemy mecha stood, Natasa was about to take it out when the mecha suddenly dropped its weapon and the pilot came out of the cockpit surrendering.

As Adrastus and his men began rounding up the enemy pilots Natasa moved to where the prince was being held at knife point. Natasa opened up the loud speaker and addressed Athanas’s captors.

“Release prince Athanas,” she demanded “do it now and I assure you that you will not be harmed.”

“No way,” shouted Drakon in panic “we won’t release him till we get safe transport away from here.”

“You give me no choice,” shouted Natasa.

Suddenly Ishtar’s cockpit opened, Natasa leapt out into the air where she hung, her hair was like blazing fire and from her back appeared four wings laced with gems that held her steady. The men holding Athanas dropped their guard as they took in the sight before them.

Athanas quickly took the knife from one of the stunned men and cut the bonds that bound his wrists. He then elbowed Drakon winding him before knocking him to his knees. The other kidnapper dropped his weapon and got down on his knees too.

“Who is she,” muttered the unknown man in a daze.

“I told you already,” said Athanas with a grin “she is the goddess of war.”

As the two men knelt there next to Athanas, Natasa came to rest beside him with tears in her eyes.

“Thank you princess,” said Athanas as he turned to face her. Before she had time to respond the prince was suddenly directly in front of her, without warning he slipped an arm around her waist pulling het to him before taking her chin gently in his other hand. He then kissed her with passion.

Natasa’s mind was a whirl and she responded eagerly to his lips whilst tears continued to fall from her eyes. Drakon Suddenly jumped up and lunged at them with a hidden dagger, the wings attached to Natasa’s armour increased in size and folded around them both cocooning them in a shell of gems.

Drakon’s attack failed as his dagger stopped dead against the cocoon before bending out of shape, he fell back to the floor before being surrounded by the prince’s soldiers. Some of the soldiers around them looked shocked but Adrastus quickly restored order.

“Euthymios, Alexandros stay here and guard Ishtar call in for a recovery vehicle to come out then escort it and Ishtar to her hanger at Carthage. I will carry the Prince and Princess back with my mecha,” said Adrastus “Chariton, Makarios you are in command, make sure the prisoners arrive at Carthage safely and keep them under watch, I want to avoid more suicides if possible, we still need answers.”

Adrastus’s men all nodded and went about their duties as Adrastus returned to his mecha, he then carefully picked up Natasa and Athanas and began the journey back to the palace. Back at the palace Aella and Frato were beside themselves when Athanas was reported safe only to become worried when reports came in that Natasa and Athanas were in some kind of cocoon.

Both quickly made their way to the hanger designated for Adrastus to report to on his arrival, it didn’t take long before his mecha entered the hanger and after carefully placing the cocoon down he powered down his mecha and exited as quickly as he could.

The hanger had been cleared before his arrival and Frato and Aella were looking confused at the cocoon as he approached them.

“What happened?” asked Aella in a worried voice.

“One of the kidnappers tried to attack them before we were able to detain him and the wings on the princess’s armour responded by cocooning them to protect them, it is lucky it did because he would have killed the prince easily with his attack.”

“Wings?” asked Frato and Aella together

“Yes, the princess’s armour had four wings attached that looked like they were made from precious stones,” said Adrastus

“That’s weird she didn’t have them when she left here,” said Aella “mind you I am beginning to feel nothing should surprise me about the princess.”

“You’ve got that right Aella,” quipped Frato

Just as suddenly as Natasa’s armour had cocooned the wings began to unfold showing Natasa still in Athanas’s embrace and still being kissed. Frato blushed and Aella looked surprised, as the wings finally unfolded all the way, the gems on her armour began to glow before her armour vanished and the gems returned to the necklace.

Natasa’s body suddenly went limp in Athanas’s arms and Athanas supported Natasa’s semi naked form and held her close.

“Maybe you should have used that tactic on your captors,” laughed Adrastus.

“This is no time for jokes,” said Athanas angrily “pass me your cloak.”

Immediately Adrastus did as ordered and Athanas quickly and carefully wrapped Natasa in the cloak before lifting her gently into his arms and resting her head on his chest.

“Princess,” whispered Frato in a frightened voice.

“The princess is fine,” said Athanas “she is just over tired from everything that has happened.”

“Either that or your kisses really do have power,” said Adrastus with a smile

“That’s not funny,” said Athanas in a jovial tone. “After seeing her in action I just couldn’t help myself,” He grinned.

“Well I just hope for your sake that she doesn’t decide to fight you,” said Frato defiantly.

“I doubt the princess would want to harm the prince after what she told me today,” said Aella before she realized what she had said and quickly covered her mouth.

“What?” asked Frato worried “what did the princess say?”

“I promised the princess I would not say anything and I fear I have already said too much, I am sure the princess will tell you in time when she is ready.” said Aella trying to brush off any further questions.

“Aella, make sure the corridors from here to the princess chambers are clear, I need to take her back to her room without too much fuss,” said Athanas.

“As you wish your highness,” said Aella

With that Aella, Adrastus and Frato began down the corridors clearing a path for Athanas as he carried Natasa back to her room. As they entered Natasa’s chambers, Militta and Sousanna were waiting and immediately ran over asking what had happened.

Frato quickly addressed their concerns “It’s alright, the princess is just sleeping. I will explain everything soon just go and get some night clothes so we can get her into bed.”

Militta and Sousanna assured of the princess’s safety went off to do as they had been asked. Athanas made his way to Natasa’s bed and carefully laid her down on top of it before taking a seat beside her on the bed.

“She is so beautiful,” said Athanas as he brushed some stray hair from her face “even in the heat of battle she was amazingly beautiful. I am not sure how but she managed to show up at just the right time and fought against all odds to defeat and enemy that outnumbered her tenfold.”

Frato suddenly butted in “I’m sorry,” she said softly “if I hadn’t stopped her she would have gotten to you sooner. When she woke up saying she had seen you being attacked in her dream I didn’t believe her and because of that they managed to take you.”

“Dream!” said Athanas as he looked down at Natasa’s sleeping form “So I was right it is you who I have spoken to every night since I was young. I had a feeling it was you, in fact deep down I knew for sure when you first held my arm.”

Frato looked confused but kept quiet and just watched as the prince continued.

“I saw you just before I was attacked, I thought I was imagining it but obviously not,” as he said that Aella knocked and entered the room.

“Your highness, the prisoners have arrived and are ready to be interrogated and Ishtar is on her way to her hanger.”

“Good,” said Athanas as he stood “I will be there shortly,” he said to Aella before turning back to Natasa. “I am very sorry princess,” he said as he kissed her forehead “I will be unable to visit your dreams tonight, I hope you will forgive me.”

“Please look after the princess, if you need anything just ask any of the palace maids and they will bring it. When the princess wakes up please tell her I will come to see her as soon as I am able, I might be a little while though as I need to find out who was behind my kidnap and who wants me dead,” with that he bowed to the maids and left.

It was mid-morning by the time Natasa stirred from her slumber wondering where she was. As her vision cleared she could see that she was in her own bedchamber in Carthage. She could not remember how she had got there and as the memories of the early morning came flooding back one memory in particular stayed in her mind.

He was safe, she had done it, and she had saved him. Without thinking she unconsciously touched her lips as she remembered the passionate kiss he had given her before everything went blank.

“You’re awake princess,” said Frato with a smile

Natasa immediately snapped out of reverie “Huh, what?” she spluttered as she tried to regain her composure.

“We were quite worried about you when you arrived back and the prince carried you to your room,” said Frato

“Carried? What do you mean?” asked Natasa confused.

“You were so tired from fighting that the minute your armour vanished you fell asleep in the prince’s arms the moment you knew he was safe.”

Natasa blushed heavily “did I.”

“Yes although we still are not sure where your clothes went,” said Frato with a confused expression “the prince quickly wrapped you in a cloak though.”

“WHAT!” said Natasa in panic “naked? What the hell did Athanas do to me,” questioned Natasa

“I am not sure princess, from what Adrastus said the prince kissed you but then one of the kidnappers went to stab the prince in the back. Apparently, the wings on your armour closed around both of you and protected you. Adrastus had to carry the cocoon back with his mecha.”

“When he got back here you and the prince were still in the cocoon but after a short while the cocoon opened and you and the prince were still kissing, then all of a sudden you went limp when the armour you were wearing vanished leaving you in just your underwear.”

“The prince quickly ordered Adrastus to give him his cloak which the prince wrapped you in,” said Frato before she saw the colour drain from Natasa’s face. “Are you okay princess?” she asked in a worried tone “it’s not your stomach again is it? Do I need to get you some painkillers?”

“They…they saw me naked,” spluttered Natasa almost in a trance “they all saw me naked, how can I face any of them ever again.”

“It’s okay princess don’t panic.”

It was no good Natasa was in shock “what will the prince think of me now,” she mumbled

Frato sat on the bed holding Natasa’s hand tightly “PRINCESS!” she shouted sharply snapping Natasa out of her daze, “It’s okay princess, the prince knows it wasn’t your fault. If it makes you feel any better it was only the prince, Adrastus, Aella and I there.”

“But he wasn’t in my dream,” said Natasa as tears filled her eyes “I waited for him but he never came, he must hate me,” she said as the tears began rolling down her cheeks.

“Aw princess, the prince doesn’t hate you. Honestly, the prince cares a great deal about you. Now I think about it the prince did mention something about not being able to see you in a dream as he had things he had to attend to, but he said he will come to see you as soon as he can.”

“He did?” asked Natasa as she sniffed

“Yes princess he did,” said Frat with a smile “now come on princess dry your eyes and let’s get you something to eat, you must be starving after saving the prince.”

“I am hungry,” said Natasa as she tried to dry her tears.

As Frato left to get some food Natasa began to reflect on the most recent happenings, one thing was perfectly clear to her and that was despite her male pride she found it next to impossible to hide her inner feelings from anyone when it came to Athanas.

No matter how much she tried to deny that she felt nothing for him it was painfully obvious to anyone even herself that he meant more to her than she wanted to admit. Natasa’s rescue mission had proved that point even more, she could not help but feel lost when they kidnapped him.

Natasa also had to admit that her dreams meant more than she realized before, granted when Athanas had told her of his dreams she realized that the dreams she had had all her life were no mere fantasy but very real. Just how was that possible especially considering that there is supposed to be a time difference between here and earth.

Maybe I should ask Aella if she could find the guy who made the necklace? Maybe he can shed some light on why I am here and how Athanas and I have shared dreams, she thought to herself. What for that matter do I do about Athanas now that I know I love him, do I, do I really love him? She pondered.

There was no point denying it, for all her mind screamed no her heart said yes, even so she was still unsure how she would be able to deal with that. As Natasa was in thought Frato reappeared with some food and drink.

“Here you go princess,” she said with a smile and placed the tray of food down.

“Frato can I ask you a question.”

“Of course you can princess.”

“Well, erm how can I put this er, when you see Athanas and me together what do we look like, I mean erm…”

“It’s okay princess,” said Frat as she cut in “I know what you’re asking, the question is do you want the truth?”

“I, erm, I guess so.” said Natasa nervously as she looked down at her food whilst blushing.

“Well the truth is I see two people who are in love but one of which is in denial.”

“I, I” spluttered Natasa.

“Look princess, it’s your choice if you get with the prince but take it from me it is not a good idea to bottle up your feelings. I know you say you were male back where you came from and I believe you but you have to face facts, you are no longer male, you may be here for the rest of your life.”

“Sooner or later you will want companionship, loneliness is not a pleasant existence, even having friends cannot compare with having someone to love. When I see you and the prince I can see the way you look at him and he looks at you, I have seen that look many times and it is love.”

“I know there is more to you and the prince than you have said and I know it is to do with your dream the other night, but every time the subject is broached you immediately go on to deny it.”

“You’re right Frato there is more to it than I have told you, in fact if I were to tell you that I have known the prince most of my life what would you think?” asked Natasa softly.

“Well, that’s a tough one as you said you were from another planet, can you explain more of what you mean?”

Natasa sat there blushing before she eventually managed to tell Frato about her dreams and how the prince was part of them. How they fell in love in the dreams and how since they have met her love had grown. Frato just sat and listened not saying a word just letting Natasa get it all out. Eventually Natasa finished explaining but carried on looking down at her plate with tears in her eyes.

“Wow!” said Frato in a breathless tone “that explains a lot, although I have never heard of anything like that happening. It’s like a fairytale romance like the ones my mother used to read to me.”

“I know I still find it difficult to accept,” admitted Natasa

“How can you not accept it, especially after seeing the prince in danger the other day?”

“That’s just it, after that I can do nothing but accept that he is the man from my dreams, I can no longer lie to myself that I I don’t love him, but…” Natasa hesitated.

“But?” repeated Frato.

“But, I’m scared,” Natasa let out a laugh “how pathetic am I, until I came to this world the idea of loving a man other than in my dreams repulsed me. Now here I am head over heels in love with one who makes my heart beat faster and my words catch in my throat whenever he looks at me.”

“I feel giddy whenever he holds me and when he isn’t around I feel lost, why do I have to feel this way Frato, why,” said Natasa as she began to sob.

Frato began to rub Natasa’s back cooing softly trying to calm her.

“I’m pathetic!”

“No you’re not princess, you’re a woman in love and there is nothing wrong with that.”

“Yes there is I was a guy!” exclaimed Natasa.

“Were you? Are you sure of that?” asked Frato

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

“Okay granted you said physically you were male.”

“Yeah.”

“Yes, but were you ever really male in your mind, you had these dreams all your life and in the dreams you fell in love as a girl with a guy, so was your soul ever really male after all the body is only a vessel for your soul?”

Natasa sat taking in Frato’s words and trying to wrap her head around there meaning, was she? Had she always been female in spirit but denied it because of her physical body? Did it really matter anymore now that her body matched her dreams? Natasa could not deny what Frato had said made a lot of sense.

Granted she knew very little about being female but there was no reason she could not learn, she also found herself admitting through all her complaints about what the maids had been dressing her in she did feel good wearing the clothes. She also could not deny how good she looked in them and how nice it is to be pampered.

“You’re right Frato, although there is no way to prove it I suppose in my mind at least I have always been female but because of my body I denied it and tried to suppress it.”

Frato smiled warmly as Natasa dried her eyes.

“So what should I do now?” asked Natasa.

“That’s easy accept your feelings, allow yourself to love the prince in the real world and not just your dreams.”

“But what do I tell Athanas about the dreams?”

“I have a feeling he has already figured out about them, he mentioned something before he left about you being the one but I did not hear all he said. Anyway let’s get you dressed princess, hopefully the prince will come and see you soon and I don’t think you are really ready to let him see you wearing that,” Frato said with a smile.

Natasa looked down and blushed at the practically see through nightclothes she was wearing. Frato called the other maids and after a nice bath they proceeded to get her dressed ready for when the prince came by. While Natasa was being dressed Frato had gone off to send word to Athanas that Natasa was awake.

It was an hour later before there was a knock at the door and Natasa found herself feeling extremely nervous. Frato went to answer the door only to find Aella standing there smiling.

“Hi Frato, I hear the princess is awake.”

“Yes she is please come in.”

As Aella entered Natasa’s smile faded.

“Hi princess, I heard you were awake and I thought I would come to see how you are,” said Aella with a smile

“Hi Aella, I’m okay now I have slept. Is erm the prince not with you?”

“No I am afraid he is still busy questioning the men who took him, but I am sure he will come when he can.”

“Has anything been found out about them?” asked Frato.

“Not much as of yet, we know they are from Akkadia and we know they are not part of the Akkadian military. It appears they are mercenaries but who supplied them with 15 mecha’s so they could kidnap the prince is a mystery, although it appears the mecha’s are from Ur but the men are not.”

“We did also find out that the prince was not their only target, you were also to be kidnapped but being female they did not think they needed as many men,” laughed Aella.

“What’s funny?” asked a puzzled Natasa.

“I’m just thinking of how easily they underestimated you just as I once did, by the way it seems I don’t need to teach you to fight.”

“You’re right although I still have no idea how I managed to fight hand to hand or in Ishtar.”

“Well I am not complaining, whatever it is that allows you to fight saved the prince.”

“I meant to ask by the way, is there any way to contact the man who made my necklace?” asked Natasa

“Hypatios?” asked Aella with a curious expression “why do you need to see him?”

“Because he made this necklace and look what it can do, I want to know if it had something to do with me coming here from earth and changing me to female. I also want to know why if it did why it didn’t send Inanna back.”

“Does that really matter?” asked Frato “I thought you just accepted being female and being in love.”

“I I do but I still want to know why it happened, I also want to know about the dreams and how they can be possible especially if time on earth is faster.”

“That makes sense, I will see if I can track him down.”

“Thank you Aella,” said Natasa with a smile.

“In the meantime princess I thought I would tell you a little of your kingdom and Akkadia as well. You need to learn as much as you can for when you take back Ur.”

“This continent of Sumer is separated into four kingdoms, Ur, Akkadia, Lagash and Kish. For many years these kingdoms have been at peace but as you know in the last seven years Ur has become restless under the rule of Seleukos.”

“Hold on, I meant to ask about that, Carthage is a city?” said Natasa looking confused.

“Yes why?” asked Aella

“Because back on earth there were places with names like some here and I am pretty sure there was an Akkadia but I am not certain.”

“Well maybe that had something to do with Inanna,” suggested Aella.

“Maybe your right, wish I had some earth history books it would make it easier to check.”

“You’re right it would, it is a pity none are available. Anyway, when Inanna disappeared and Seleukos came to power he began building his forces. One of the reasons the people of Ur are suffering is because Seleukos is taxing them hard to finance his army. Other kingdoms have been suffering because they have been preparing for conflict.”

“It is expected that eventually Seleukos plans to invade one of the surrounding kingdoms and so each kingdom has been taking measures to protect themselves. Trade from other kingdoms has declined and relations have been breaking down.”

“Prior to Seleukos the four kingdoms shared trade with each other but now we have only the trade from overseas kingdoms, prices have increased and so have taxes. None of the kingdoms are free from this even though negotiations have been attempted. As you are aware technology is a part of this world.”

“Yeah I kind of figured that out eventually,” laughed Natasa.

“We have all sorts of technology from cooking devices to power stations and mecha’s, there would be too many to list some you have seen others you will come across in time. Moving back to Ur, obviously you have seen the palace in Assyria but that is not the capital, the actual capital is Babylon located further west.”

Natasa sat stunned; Babylon was a place she had read about in history, if she remembered correctly, the city was said to be one of the largest cities in the world and had been designed like a giant garden.

“You okay princess?” asked Aella.

“Yeah I am fine it’s just that there was a city called Babylon on earth, it was supposed to be huge with beautiful gardens everywhere. I don’t know much about it other than it was destroyed centuries ago.”

“Well Babylon in this world sounds similar, it too is built with many gardens and in Ur it is the largest city hence the reason it is the capital. Queen Inanna spent time between the two cities depending on the time of year. Ur in the past was always very good agriculturally although not so much in recent years.”

Aella continued to explain various topics from history to science to politics, every so often they would break for something to eat or drink. Natasa could not help but feel she was back at school again but she forced herself to listen and try to take in as much as she could. It was not until around the evening mealtime before Aella finally finished teaching and excused herself.

Natasa felt like it had been a lifetime and was sure she would not remember most of what had been said. Still some things had definitely given her mind reason to pause for thought, somehow Inanna must have influenced ancient cultures of earth. How can earth and here have similar places she thought to herself?

Natasa could only hope that whoever Hypatios was that he would have answers to some of her questions. Natasa was also aware that Athanas had not visited her and now that Aella had finished teaching her for the day Natasa’s mind was working overtime again with worry. Fortunately Natasa did not have to worry too long as there was a knock at the door.

Frato went to answer and found Aiolos standing there with a message from the prince requesting Natasa’s company for the evening meal. The maids quickly got her ready before escorting her to a balcony overlooking one of the gardens surrounding the palace. As she stepped out Athanas stood up to great her.

“Princess, I am pleased you accepted my invitation for dinner,” Athanas said as he moved in close and took her hand before kissing it.

Natasa blushed “I have been waiting for you to see me since I woke up.”

“I apologize for the delay in seeing you I have been busy trying to find out who was behind my kidnap and anything else,” said Athanas as he held a chair for Natasa.

“Have you managed to find any answers?”

“Unfortunately not many answers as of yet, I do know I was not their only target and that they intended to kill us both. Unfortunately for them and fortunately for me you were far more capable than they thought. I want to thank you for what you did I should never have let myself be captured like that.”

“The only reason I fought off the attacker at the palace was because I woke up before they had chance to sneak an attack,” said Natasa hoping the prince would not beat himself over the incident.

“I wanted to discuss that with you too.”

“I…you know don’t you?” asked Natasa

“You mean about the dreams?” he asked

“Yyes about the dreams,” Natasa nodded.
“Tell me Natasa are your dreams really nightmares or do you just tell people that because you feel the need to hide the truth?”

“I…look Athanas you have to remember on my world I was a boy; do you really think it wise for a boy to tell people he dreams of being a princess who is in love with a prince?”

“But you are not a boy now, you could have told me sooner.”

“I was afraid.”

“Of me?”

“Yes,” Natasa sighed “no to tell the truth I was afraid of myself,” she said as she focused on the table “I was scared of my own feelings, things have been happening so fast. I have only been female a short time and I was scared the dreams meant what they do.” A tear slid down her cheek.

“The minute I met you I felt I knew you, as the night went on I realized you were the man I had been seeing in my dreams my whole life. How is that possible Athanas, how can I have spoken to you all these years from another planet? It should not be possible but I can’t deny it.”

“I know what you mean, I to have wondered how it could be possible. I was sure you were the woman in my dreams the minute I met you but I was not totally sure until Frato said you had a dream about the attack on me,” said Athanas as he took her hand in his.

“I don’t understand anything anymore; I have no idea how I got here and why I am now female. I had planned to do anything I could to go back but now I just don’t know what to do, I am so confused and the only thing I know for sure is that I, I am in…l…love…” Natasa’s voice failed her.

“You’re in love with me as I am with you?” asked Athanas

Natasa blushed deeply unable to speak she just nodded.

“Natasa, we have spent many nights walking in that garden getting to know each other, I have always been in love with you, I longed for the day I could finally be with you.”

“I never even realized the dreams were real, after all I was a boy. Even though I always wished them to be real I never expected for it to happen and now it has I was afraid to admit I wanted them to be true.” Said Natasa.

“Natasa do me one favour,” asked Athanas softly.

Natasa looked up into the prince’s eyes, those deep blue gems where Natasa could lose herself “Yes,” she mumbled.

Athanas smiled making her heart beat faster and her tummy feel like a thousand butterflies were swarming.

“Free yourself.”

Natasa looked confused and frowned.

“Allow yourself to be who you are, don’t hold back your feelings. In our dreams we never held back our feelings for each other, at first we were friends until we grew up and fell in love. Allow yourself to feel that love now, be true to who you are and that love that we share,” said Athanas as he stood and pulled Natasa to her feet.

Natasa stood looking up at the prince unable to look away from his intense blue eyes, his body felt warm and she felt her body responding to the feel of his against her. Athanas pulled her in close and she instinctively slid her arms around his neck as Athanas lowered his face to meet her.

Their lips met and Natasa could feel how soft his lips were against hers, his tongue gently touched her lips and Natasa opened her mouth to give him access. The kiss became deeper as they each explored the others mouth, Natasa found her knees going weak and her body trembled from the intensity of the passion.

After a few minutes the prince broke the kiss but held her tight. “I love you.”

“I love you to Athanas,” Natasa whispered softly.

Before Natasa could say another word, the prince released her before getting on one knee. He looked up at her and smiled as he produced a box from his robe and opened it. Natasa stood unable to move with a look of shock on her face.

“Marry me princess, I have waited too many years to see you for real and now you are here I never want to lose you.”

“I…I…I don’t know what to say this is so sudden,” spluttered Natasa.

Natasa’s mind was reeling she so desperately wanted to say yes but there was still so much she needed to know. If she agreed she would have to accept never going back to earth. If her grandmother was still alive what would happen to her, she must be worried sick thought Natasa.

“Princess if you think about it this is not so sudden; after all we have known each other for many years just not in the real world.”

Athanas words were true; they had been in love for years. The only reason to say no would be if she wanted to go home if that was even possible.

“I…I…” her words were cut off as Aella came rushing onto the balcony startling them. Aella stood for a moment taking in the scene before her before blushing and bowing to them.

“My apologies my prince, princess, you are needed both of you. Forces are heading this way,” said Aella slightly out of breath.

“Seleukos?” questioned Athanas.

“Yes but it appears Apollonia is also making a move, she has amassed an army and is heading this way.”

“Damn that sister of mine, how long till they reach the borders?” asked Athanas

“2 hours your highness.”

“Very well we will meet you there shortly.”

Aella bowed again before rushing away leaving the couple to consider the latest news.

“I am sorry princess but we will have to eat in the control room while we plan out a strategy” said Athanas as he stood and took Natasa’s hand “think on what I have asked princess let me know when you are ready,” he said as he kissed her again.


 
To Be Continued...

up
87 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Surrender, Princess

Sometimes in order to win you have to surrender.

I do hope they hurry up and get Ishtar back to the palace, I have a feeling it and the Princess will be the key to victory.

Great story!

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive

Captivating

You have an unusual voice and tone with your story. Part of me at first didn't care for it, but it has grown on me. :) I don't know how to explain it except perhaps an innocent wistfulness, a fairy tale. I liked from the very beginning your use of the ancient kingdoms of Mesopotamia. Then as a twist you've added mecha into what I thought as a magical fantasy tale, but you made it work. Now, we have the princess and prince facing war from their greatest enemies on the eve of their engagement. I find myself waiting for each chapter to be posted. This is good stuff!

hugs!

grover

Grover said it all, or at least a lot of it

Very good story so far.

I like how she is both accepting of what has happened to her yet is still reluctant. She is smart to want more info before committing whole hog to womanhood and wifedome.

So far the Prince appears to be one of the good ones, the necklace powers linking them seems proof but still. That she cares for grandmother on Earth shows her compassion.

Now the big Q's are coming.

One, is his sitter truly evil or being misled/manipulated? If she is truly intent on harming her brother, will the Princess and Ishtar spare her after defeating her? Or is she likely to end up a slave and that’s if they take pity on her? If The Princess can operate all this advanced tech like a master, um mistress, despite never having seen it, could someone be using similar tech to control the sister of the Prince? Is she even alive or is a doppelganger/puppet in her place?

Two, in attempting to kill the Prince after his surrender, that should have earned the soldier summary execution. What will be his fate and that of the other mercenaries? Who really provided the mecha and the funding for the attacks?

What of the links to ancient Earth? Did the missing Queen alter Earth history or is there another reason for the similarity in city/state names?

If the maker of the necklace is still alive, how did it get such power? Why did it not bring the queen back? IE it seems to automatically protect the queen even when she – IE the Princess – is , ahum, preoccupied. Was the Queen transported to Earth for her protection and that of her decendants or did someone who understood the necklace’s power try to use it against her? Why was the Princess a boy yet dreamed of romance as a woman? Did the Queen leave her any message or clues?

Are any of our guesses close? Who cares, this is great whichever way you go.

John in Wauwatosa

P.S. Her battle suit looks like it was designed in Las Vegas, or by Playboy, Hubba hubba!!

John in Wauwatosa

Get Grandma to Carthage

RAMI

I know in the Princess Bride TRUEEE LOVEEE saved the day. Will it also do so for the Prince and Princess?

I think the key to acceptance needs to come from the grandma. As long as Natasa is concerned about grandma, is she alive, is she heart broken over her grandson's disappearance, does she know his/her true nature, I do not think Natasa will be comfortable in making a final decision to stay, get married and live happily ever after. So somehow, I guess we need Scotty to beam her up from earth into this reality.

I have other questions and comments, but they have already been asked or raised by others so I won't duplicate them.

RAMI

P.S. I am trying to remember ancient history. If I do not think that Ur, Babylon and Carthage, existed as important entities at the same time. While Ur and Babylon occupy similar territory, (modern day Iraq), Babylon superceded Ur. It was from Ur that Abram and Sari, later Abraham and Sarah, set out for Canaan/Israel. Carthage was in Africa, in what is present day Tunisia. Carthage was at times an enemy of Rome, Hannibal and his elephants, or its tributory colony.

RAMI

Enthralled

This story has really captured my heart. Wonderful.
Hilltopper

Gina_Summer2009__2__1_.jpgHilltopper

There was no other way to write this chapter

you did wonderfully, and I'm glad that Natasa is finally accepting who she is. She is finding the way to happiness. I just hope she would be able to send a message to her grandmother back to her world before she marry the prince. Or, even travel back there for a moment.

Mildred

They Didn't Learn

From the last time that theueen's mecha is active.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine