Legend of the Ancient Kingdoms: Chapter 10: Things forgotten

Printer-friendly version

Legend of the Ancient Kingdoms



 
After coming clean about her love Athanas proposes to her but she has no chance to answer before they are disturbed by news of war. It seems Apollonia is out to take the country of Akkadia from her brother, not only that Seleukos is on the move also. Can Natasa protect Akkadia from a battle on two fronts?


 

Chapter 10: Things forgotten.

The control room was a hive of activity, in the centre of the room there appeared a three dimensional map of what Natasa assumed was Akkadia and Ur made out of pins, the landscape changed several times as if zooming into certain areas. Natasa recognised several of the people standing around the display in deep discussion.

Elsewhere around the room people were looking at floating displays and talking into headsets. Aella was already there as was Adrastus and some of his men standing around another display. Natasa felt a little lost as she looked nervously around the room, the news that Seleukos was on the move towards Akkadia had quickly put Natasa off the idea of food.

Athanas headed towards Aella and Natasa followed unsure of anything else she could do, her mind was awash with so many thoughts and emotions. If it wasn’t bad enough Athanas had just proposed to suddenly have to try to put those thoughts on hold to deal with Seleukos and possibly Apollonia was just too much.

As her thought began to overwhelm her she was unaware of those trying to speak to her.

“Princess,” said Aella, on getting no response she tried again “PRINCESS!”

Natasa looked up “Huh!”

“Sorry princess it’s just you seemed miles away when I asked you the question.”

Natasa blushed “Sorry I was a little pre-occupied I didn’t hear the question.”

“Well you will have to get back with us because this is important to you too. I asked you if you are alright.”

“Yeah I’m okay I just have a lot on my mind, what can I do to help?”

“Best thing to do would be for you to study the maps of Akkadia and Ur to familiarise yourself with the layout, Adrastus will show you the maps and talk you through how to use the display,” said Aella.

Natasa sighed but nodded and followed Adrastus to one of the other displays. Adrastus quickly began to brief Natasa on the layout of the land, key cities and the current deployment of troops and vehicles. Natasa tried to concentrate but she could not help glancing in Athanas’s direction every so often and blushing.

The maps she was shown were quite interesting but other than that Natasa was a little lost, after about an hour Natasa was back standing by Athanas when information came that Seleukos’s forces had stopped their advance an hour from the border. Some in the room looked relieved but Natasa wasn’t so sure it would last.

Apollonia’s forces were still moving towards the areas Athanas controlled so the room kept busy organising troops and deciding a strategy. Natasa really didn’t know what to do to help so decided to do something about it.

“Aella.”

“Yes princess.”

“Can you let me into the hanger Ishtar is in, I want to have a better look at it and also see if there is any data that might help?”

Aella looked at Athanas who nodded

“I don’t see why not, just don’t rush off to do anything rash,” said Athanas.

Aella led the way and it wasn’t long before they reached the huge doors to Ishtar’s hanger. Aella quickly entered the code but the doors didn’t open instead Aella continued to type on the panel before turning to Natasa.

“Princess enter a ten digit code, it will be your entry code from now so you can gain access whenever you need.”

Natasa looked surprised but quickly entered a code she would remember before repeating it again for confirmation. A computerized voice stated the code had been accepted and the huge doors suddenly began to open.

“Princess I will see you later I need to get back, just remember not to go running off especially to fight if you need anyone call me on the comms unit I gave you earlier,” said Aella.

“Sure Aella.”

Natasa entered the darkness of the hanger as the doors began to close, when finally closed the lights came on and Natasa could once again see Ishtar. Nothing seemed to have changed Ishtar was still as impressive as the first time Natasa had seen it. She spent a while walking around it just taking in the sight of it.

The mecha was impressive it looked to Natasa to be about 10 stories high although it could be more as it was difficult to truly gauge from the ground. It was styled in a very feminine way with its sleek design, the wings on its back were folded and Natasa could not help but feel it was watching her as she moved around it.

Natasa walked onto the platform that would take her up to the cockpit and pressed the button to make it rise. About half way up the gems of her necklace broke off again and Natasa found herself back in the battle suit she had worn earlier. The cockpit lights and displays came on as soon as she climbed in.

Natasa sat back on the cockpits chair and studied the displays, last time she stepped into the cockpit she hadn’t time to properly look around as she was too busy reacting. This time Natasa wanted to properly check everything out, she already felt she knew the most important things like how to control the mecha but she still wanted to become more familiar.

The real reason for her coming wasn’t so much to check out Ishtar as much as get away and think on her own for a while. Natasa needed to clear her head especially if she ended up having to fight; the last thing she wanted was to be pre-occupied during a battle. Natasa knew she loved Athanas and she wanted to be with him.

The problem was could she accept being a wife, as she thought that another thought entered her mind that she hadn’t thought much of before and the colour drained from her face. Kids, she would someday be a mother and if she married him she would bare his children, no matter how she tried to think about it if she accepted his proposal it would eventually come up.

The thought both terrified her and excited her at the same time, she recognised that she was adapting to being female quicker than she thought but could she accept carrying a baby for months and giving birth. Surprisingly she was starting to feel that with Athanas she would not mind so much.

Natasa had been so caught up in everything she hardly had time to reflect on some things, she found as the days had progressed she desperately wished both her mother and grandmother were there to guide her. She was happy to have Frato, Militia and Sousanna but it was her mother and grandmother she really wanted.

As Natasa contemplated her loss the screen in front of her suddenly displayed a video of a mother and daughter. Natasa estimated the girl was around four or five and she was wearing a pretty pink dress, Natasa suddenly gasped in shock as she realised it was her and the woman was her mother.

Natasa watched in awe as she saw her younger self dance and skip around her mother. Natasa realised her mother and younger self were in the garden she had visited in her dreams but for the life of her she could not figure how her mother was there. She was startled when a female voice spoke.

“It is a memory,” said the voice

“Who...who’s there,” said Natasa nervously.

“I am Ishtar.”

“You can talk!” Natasa said in surprise as another screen suddenly showed an image of a young woman smiling.

“Of course I can,” said Ishtar’s image.

“But how?” asked Natasa with a confused expression.

“I am the combined memory of every queen of Ur, from your perspective you would see me as an AI or Artificial Intelligence.”

“What did you mean that the video is a memory? I don’t have any memories like that.”

“It is one of your memories from when you were young.”

Natasa looked confused “How I don’t remember seeing my mother in my dreams?”

“The memories of that time were repressed at the request of your mother.”

“Why and how would my mother repress my memories?”

“From the data I have your mother used to visit you in the garden as you grew up, that is until you told her it was a nightmare. She wished you never remembered the dreams of her and yourself and the gems of the necklace followed her wishes and blocked your memories.”

Natasa sat stunned

Ishtar continued “Do you wish the memories unlocked?”

Natasa nodded “Yes.”

The image on screen looked thoughtful for a second “Accessing.......memory block accessed..........memory block released.”

Natasa suddenly felt a sharp pain in her head as images of her childhood flooded her mind, at first it was a little overwhelming but gradually she was able to relax as the memories returned. She remembered growing up as a girl in the dreams guided by her mother and the fun they shared singing, dancing and just enjoying the strong mother daughter bond they shared during her childhood dreams.

Tears fell from Natasa’s eyes as she felt the huge loss of her mother, she had tried to rationalise her mother’s death and pretend they weren’t close but the memories she now saw showed how close they had really been at one time. Natasa felt anger for being stupid and denying her mother the close relationship they had in the dream.

She remembered when she was around 10 or 11 she had begun to feel very self conscious about her girlhood dreams, she had confided in her mother that they were nightmares not realising they were real dreams being shared. Her mother must have been devastated because shortly after the dreams stopped for a short time and her mother seemed to back away.

Natasa had never thought about it much before; by that time she was too busy trying to be a man to worry about why her mother became so distant. Now it all made sense and Natasa began to hate herself for what she had unknowingly done. She could feel how close they were before and regretted not just living with her dreams and allowing her mother that time.

It was around then that she began to dream of Athanas instead; Natasa had thought it had been since she was very little as every now and then she had had a flash of a little girl in her memory and assumed it was her and the prince when they were younger. Now she realised it wasn’t the prince in her early days but her mother.

Natasa began to weep, she would never have chance to make up for lost time with her mother. She would never be able to tell her mother that the little girl she was in the dreams was finally a young woman and in love. She was suddenly brought from her downward spiralling thoughts by Ishtar’s voice.

“Princess I know you are hurting but from what I can tell from the data link even after the memory block your mother loves you very much.”

“She did?” sniffed Natasa.

“Yes all data shows that despite your mother stopping visiting you every night in the dreams she did attend a number of times after you had met prince Athanas.”

“She saw me with Athanas?” said Natasa with a puzzled expression.

“Yes, from the data available she visited you and Athanas at key times, at those times she wanted to see how you and the prince were getting on.”

Natasa sat stunned, her mother knew or at least she had known about the dreams, she had seen them together slowly falling in love. Natasa was not sure how she felt about that part of her was appalled but the bigger part was ecstatic, the idea that before her mother’s death she had seen Natasa fall in love in the dreams eased her mind considerably. Natasa suddenly had a thought.

“Ishtar you said that there is data, where is this data?”

“The necklace you wear holds a storage device as does the Sword you carry.”

“What exactly is this necklace capable of?”

“The necklace you wear has several functions; it acts as surveillance, camouflage, armour, knowledge base, training and a number of other functions including a link to me. Some of the gems are designed to break away from the necklace to perform tasks like data gathering and surveillance.”

“The Camouflage function can conceal you as another person or even an object of equal size, the armour function you have already seen in action. The knowledge base contains information from Nibiru as well as from the time Queen Inanna was on Earth up until present.”

“You have also seen the training function although at the time you were unaware of it.”

“What do you mean by that?”

“The dreams of your mother and the prince were not the only dreams you have had, from a young age some of your dreams were training where you learned everything from politics, science, technology and importantly combat training, battle tactics and strategy.”

“Why can’t I remember those things?”

“They are also under a memory block but a more subtle one, it means although you don’t remember them when in danger you can act on them.”

“Why is there a memory block?”

“On earth you did not require all of the training, most of the training was based on information from Nibiru and on Earth it would have been confusing.”

“Can you remove all the blocks?”

“Accessing...........”

Natasa held her head as Ishtar accessed the blocks, she could feel a sharp pain before memories began to flood back.

“Memory blocks released.”

As the memories began to return Natasa found it difficult to think, images from dreams she had never seen flew through her mind, she saw dreams on an open field standing by a figure she didn’t know learning how to use a sword. In another dream she was taught about the politics of Sumer, court procedures and etiquette.

Some of the dreams were in a classroom where she studied politics, history, science and more. There were dreams of piloting Ishtar and other mecha’s as well as target practice the use of stealth and language lessons. The memories were from early childhood and were still ongoing from what Natasa could see.

In all of the dreams Natasa was female and the figure teaching always referred to her as Natasa, it was no wonder Natasa used the name on Nibiru as it had been the name given by her mother in the dreams. The sheer amount of memories were too much for Natasa and after a minute or two she passed out. It was a short time later when Natasa was woke from her slumber.

“Princess, PRINCESS!” said a familiar voice

Natasa pushed her finger against the button on the comms unit by her ear “Aella there is no need to shout, I’m awake already,” She said exasperated.

“You were asleep?”

“Not really, I passed out if you must know.” said Natasa in a grumpy tone.

“Are you okay do you need assistance?”

“No Aella I am fine just had an information overload that’s all.”

“What does that mean?”

“Aella can we talk about this later I have a lot on my mind right now and I need to get everything straight in my head?”

“Fine but I expect you to tell me later.”

“I will, anyway what were you calling about.”

“Oh right, just an update really. Seleukos is still holding position an hour from the border; princess Apollonia’s forces are currently engaged with some of prince Athanas’s forces. So far we are holding that back without having to send reinforcements but we are not sure for how long. If we move more troops it would give Seleukos the advantage he needs to launch his own attack and we would be less able to hold out against him.”

“Let me out Aella.”

“Why what are you thinking princess?”

“I can help against Apollonia’s forces if you give me command I can co-ordinate the forces there allowing you and Athanas to secure the border from Seleukos.”

“You don’t know anything about strategy and battlefield tactics, how can you expect to co-ordinate the forces?”

“I found out why I am able to fight hand to hand and how to use mecha’s especially Ishtar, I was trained from birth in everything to do with warfare.”

“But you said before that you needed training, how can you now know these things?” asked a puzzled Aella.

“I had a memory block, Ishtar has now removed it trust me Aella I can do this.” said Natasa with determination.

The line went quiet and Natasa got the impression Aella was discussing it with Athanas. Back in the command centre Aella was deep in discussion with Aella.

“I’m not keen on this your highness.”

“Neither am I but she is right she could easily help out, it would free up the forces we need to protect against Seleukos. I have a feeling if my sister fails Seleukos will pull back his forces not wanting to risk engaging us,” Said Athanas.

“I concur Seleukos is waiting for the opportunity to take the border without much of a fight, if he sees that isn’t going to happen or that we resolve the conflict with princess Apollonia without weakening our defence he will hopefully back off,” agreed Adrastus.

“Fine I concur, it doesn’t mean I like it but it is probably our best chance,” said Aella with a sigh.

“Make sure when Natasa joins the battle a live feed is broadcast towards Ur, if Seleukos men see Ishtar in action they may leave Seleukos and join the rebels to take back Ur,” said Athanas.

“I will make sure it’s done, I just hope princess Natasa is able to do what she needs to, and if princess Apollonia’s force were to hurt her it could have the opposite effect.”

“Your right Aella but I have faith Natasa will succeed,” said Athanas with a smile.

Meanwhile back in Ishtar Natasa was getting restless; suddenly she jumped as the comms came back to life.

“Natasa,” Athanas’s voice came over the comms.

Natasa felt giddy from his voice “Yeah,” she mumbled.

“Are you sure you can do this? if you can it will make protecting the border easier. We have a feeling Seleukos is waiting for us to over extend trying to defend against my sister.”

“Yes I can do it; Ishtar has unlocked memories I have of learning everything I need to know on warfare.”

“I am not happy with this, just promise me you will be careful.”

“I will......and Athanas.”

“Yes princess.”

“I...I love you.”

“I love you too Natasa, I will see you when you get back, just so you know there is a team working towards Apollonia’s palace. While you engage her forces they will try to take her prisoner.”

“Okay, just keep me posted, I am heading out now Natasa out.”

Ishtar’s cockpit closed as the massive sliding doors above the mecha began to open. Natasa felt the vibration as Ishtar brought her power plant online.

“Ishtar link up with the command centre and get all relevant data on waypoints and current deployment.”

“Accessing...”

The displays in front of Natasa changed to show the outside of the mecha, a screen above changed to show a map of Akkadia and the route plotted toward the battlefield. Natasa spent a couple of minutes looking over the planned course; Natasa then took the controls and began to guide Ishtar out of the hanger.

It was just beginning to get dark as Natasa left the hanger and set off on the course that would take her to an area outside the city of Dougga where Athanas’s forces were engaged. The route would take her via the city of Rades along the Medjerda River past the city of Sidi Ghrib; she would then pass another city Thuburbo Matus before the Medjerda would become the Wadi River.

From there it was a straight journey to the mountains around Dougga; Natasa estimated the journey to be at least an hour or two depending on how fast Ishtar could fly.

“Ishtar are you able to auto pilot?”

“Yes princess.”

“Good please take over, any idea of how long it will take to reach the staging ground?”

“Estimated time to arrival is 2.536 Earth hours.”

Natasa sighed “If I fall asleep wake me before we arrive.”

“I will princess.”

Natasa released the controls and relaxed in the chair, as they travelled along Natasa looked out at the country admiring he beauty around her. From what she could see Akkadia was easily on a par with Ur with its forests and landscape, as they travelled the woodlands and forests slowly became less as they neared habitation.

Before she knew it they were upon Rades, the city looked vast as they passed. Natasa noticed there didn’t seem to be any skyscrapers like back on Earth in large cities; in fact Natasa had never seen a city on Earth that looked remotely like the cities on Nibiru. From the memories Ishtar had released Natasa knew plenty about Nibiru.

She also realised that people lived much longer here than on Earth. From the politics knowledge she had gained she knew it was common practice for countries like Akkadia and Ur to encourage couples to restrict the number of children produced. This was done to keep populations under control.

Last thing anyone on Nibiru wanted was to live on a crowded world for hundreds of years. Nibiru had at one time suffered due to over population several centuries ago, fortunately at the time they had developed space travel and a number of colony ships had been built to move some people to other star systems.

The colonies had stayed in touch with Nibiru and were even able to trade to a degree, although it could take a few years for a ship to travel to Nibiru from the furthest colonies. The overcrowding problem had been resolved and it allowed each country to resize the cities freeing more land for forests, woodlands and agriculture.

Now population size was controlled and most people were allowed only a couple of children each, although people were allowed to relocate to the other colonies as some didn’t have as tight a control of population size. Those who did not like the population rules were allowed to freely move but for the most part people were happy with 2 children.

Natasa sighed as she past the city of Sidi Ghrib, again although a little smaller than Rades it still looked an amazing place even as light was fading. This city was not walled like Carthage and Rades; it had an older look to it and Natasa caught herself wondering about the people who live there.

The one thing she had not done since being here was explore any of the cities she had been in. Assyria didn’t look too good at present and last thing she wanted to do was hang around. At Carthage things hadn’t settled down enough to ask to look around either. Natasa wasn’t sure but it looked like it would be some time before she was able to just relax.

“Princess would you care to listen to some music as we are still some way off?”

“I have no idea what music is available on this planet Ishtar.”

“Princess I have access to all of earths music, if there is anything specific you would like to hear from Earth I can play it.”

“How?”

“Do you remember me saying that some of the crystals are there to gather data?”

“Yes.”

“Well the database currently has music, videos, art and most literature that was available on Earth recorded, especially any that was available on computerized systems.”

Natasa was stunned; she remembered Ishtar mentioning data storage but thought it was just useless data, she never imagined it could be so much data.

“Does this mean you have access to historic records?”

“Of course.”

“Can you access any data on Queen Inanna from her time on Earth?”

“That could take some time and would be inadvisable at present.”

“Why?”

“The databases stored are vast and the access time could take hours, I would need to download all the relevant files before searching them for references to Inanna. I would also need to locate and download the queen’s personal files.”

“Oh, then how come you can access the music?”

“I downloaded most of the recent music while you were unconscious earlier; I have access to the last 30 years of Earth music at present. I have a liking for music, art and literature, when I am not active I tend listen to music.”

“When can you download the historic data?”

“When we are safe in Carthage I can do it then, but while we are en-route to a battle it’s best not to attempt it at present as I would have to divert some functions until the transfer was complete.”

Natasa thought for a while before asking for one of her favourite Earth groups, Ishtar quickly found the last album the group had made and began to play it.

“Ishtar do you know how I ended up here and why I am female?”

“Not at present, although the data within the necklace may hold the information it will again have to wait until I can download and analyze it. I can theorize some of it but cannot confirm until I have all the data.”

“Okay what’s your theory?”

“I would say that you were never male in the first place, if my theory is correct the necklace may have made you appear male to protect you.”

“Protect me? Protect me from what?”

“When Queen Inanna disappeared from Assyria several others disappeared too, no one knows why but they did. Some of those who had vanished were not on friendly terms with the Queen, it is possible they ended up on Earth and they or their descendants may have wanted to harm you.”

Natasa contemplated Ishtar’s words as they passed the city of Thuburbo Matus; Natasa was too deep in thought to even notice the city. The landscape slowly began to change into fields again as they followed the Medjerda river towards their final destination in Dougga.

“Ishtar, can you tell me a little about Inanna?”

“What would you like to know princess?”

“Who was she? I mean what kind of person was she.”

“Inanna was like many of the queens of Ur a loving monarch; the people of Ur loved her very much. She tried whenever she could to be close to her people and help them with their lives, not an easy task when there are millions of people to consider. It is difficult to realy put into words what she was like.”

“I can however show you memories of her at some point; it would give you a better idea of the kind of person she was.”

“I think I would like that.”

Natasa wasn’t sure but at the mention of Queen Inanna and what she was like Ishtar seemed thoughtful and sad. Natasa shook her head no, no matter how good an AI is there is no way it would have feelings surely. Natasa broke from her thoughts as Ishtar spoke again.

“Princess we are approaching the City of Dougga, do you wish me to patch you through to the forward command post?”

“Yes.”

“Accessing.... connection established commanding officer General Kephos.”

“Princess Natasa,” spoke a gruff voice.

“Yes General, am I to assume correctly that Prince Athanas has advised you I will be taking command?”

“Yes Princess, although I have to say this is highly unusual for someone from outside of Akkadia to take command.” Kephos said with a tone of distaste.

“Yes well these are highly unusual circumstances and I asked the prince to allow me to take command.”

“Oh,” came the surprised reply “Well either way the prince has ordered that you are to take command and we will follow as ordered. I assume you will meet me in the command post to discuss a strategy?”

“Yes I will be there shortly.”

“Would you care for refreshments while we discuss things?”

Natasa’s tummy chose that moment to growl its approval, Natasa blushed again “Yes please General I could do with something to eat. This conflict sort of put a hold to dinner plans.”

“I will have the mess prepare some food and drink; I will see you shortly Kephos out.”

Natasa didn’t like Kephos tone, not that it mattered Athanas had obviously made it clear Natasa would be in command and if Kephos didn’t like it well tough. Natasa was determined to get this conflict under control as soon as possible so Seleukos would back off and then she could return to Athanas.

As Natasa thought that another thought popped in her head and she blushed.

“Ishtar there is something I meant to ask.”

“Yes princess?”

“Why when the armour disappeared last time did I end up with no clothes, is that likely to happen again?”

“No princess it is not likely to happen again so long as the circumstances don’t occur again.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

Natasa watched as the image of Ishtar blushed.

“Well princess when that occurred what were you doing?”

“Erm,” Natasa blushed “kissing Athanas.” Natasa spluttered.

“And what were you thinking at the time of you kissing prince Athanas princess?”

Natasa’s blush deepened “No!”

“Yes princess in your highly aroused state the necklace calculated a 99.9% probability that you planned to make lo....”

Natasa cut Ishtar off “don’t say it, just don’t say it Ishtar. If you were about to say what I think you were let’s just pretend that I didn’t ask the question and leave it at that.”

“As you wish princess, in any case we have arrived.”

Natasa sighed thankful for the chance to take her mind off the present chain of thoughts running through her mind.

“Ishtar please patch me through to Athanas.”

“Accessing.... connection established.”

Princess?”

“Yeah it’s me,” sighed Natasa as her heart fluttered.

“I take it you have arrived safely?”

“Yes I am at the forward command post about to take command although I have to say General Kephos doesn’t seem to be happy about it.”

“Happy or no he has orders that you are in command, if you have any trouble contact me.”

“Thanks Athanas, I will, hopefully this won’t take too long.”

“Eager to get back to me so soon?”

“I...I.”

“I am joking princess,” laughed Athanas.

Natasa blushed not sure if he might be right on target, part of her really wanted to be back with him being held in his arms. Natasa shook the thoughts from her head, she had work to do.

“I just wanted to let you know I had arrived and will keep you informed when I am on my way back, Natasa out.”

Natasa quickly composed herself as the cockpit opened, she immediately noticed the wings had re-appeared on her back. She stopped long enough to pull the sword of Ishtar out of its place beside her before leaping out of the cockpit and slowly descending to the ground to meet General Kephos.

The man himself was rather stocky with a thick moustache, he was garbed in similar armour to some of the guards and soldiers at Carthage but his armour was a little more elaborate. He seemed to looked shocked on seeing Natasa floating down to the ground in her high-tech battle armour.

Natasa knew nothing like her armour had been seen before even Aella had never seen anything quite like it. The General composed himself trying to look impassive but his wrinkled face betrayed his distaste of Natasa being in command. He straightened up as she approached.

“Princess welcome to the mountains of Dougga,” his smile was as fake as his charm.

Natasa regarded him for a moment “I would not exactly consider this a welcome to Dougga considering the stakes involved in this conflict.”

“Quite, quite, if you would care to follow me I will show you to the command post.”

Natasa’s wings folded back and she followed the man towards what appeared to be a log cabin like those seen on Earth. As they entered Natasa noted the room suddenly go silent and all heads turned to face her and the General.

“Pay attention,” the general began “this is princess Natasa of Ur she will be taking command of the forces here in the hopes of repelling princess Apollonia’s forces.”

Natasa noted again the Generals distaste for her being in command, someone at the back of the room sniggered and Natasa felt her anger rising.

“I am not here for your amusement and personally I don’t care if you are happy I am in command or not, all I want is for you to do your jobs and do them well. Lives are the line the reason I am here is to prevent Seleukos from gaining a foothold on Akkadian soil, if the defence here cannot hold out and reinforcements are sent the border will not be secure enough to stop him.”

“Seleukos cannot be allowed to gain a hold in Akkadia, it is bad enough he has control of Ur and has abused it. The fact remains that if we lose ground to Apollonia Seleukos will attack the border. I don’t intend to allow that to happen, I am not expecting you to follow blindly I have no problems taking advice. If while we are planning someone has an idea I want to hear it.”

“The survival of Akkadia is on our shoulders, if we win here Seleukos should back off. Prince Athanas has told me you are good at what you do, so please let us work together and I am sure we will have this situation in control. Now I suggest we all get some work done it will be a long night.”

Natasa really had no idea whether these people were really any good she only hoped it would boost their moral and maybe spur them into action. Fortunately it seemed her little speech helped and soon the room was a hive of activity again as they returned to doing their jobs.

Kephos led Natasa over to the maps in the centre of the room where a holographic display indicated where the main conflicts were occurring in real-time. It didn’t take long for Natasa to spot a major problem. To the north and south of their position several groups of Athanas’s forces were busy fighting a number of mecha’s from Apollonia’s forces.

The mountain ranges of Dougga were vast and there were several mountain passes, the ones were where the fighting was taking place were large open passes and the units engaged were spread out too much. The other problem was little attention was being paid to the one small pass that wasn’t covered at all and Natasa was concerned.

If a couple of mecha’s were sent through that pass they could bypass the main fighting units and reach the command post. If they were to take out the command post the forces would be in chaos without any leadership. It would then only be a matter of time before they were overrun.

“General the units here and here need to pull back to this location,” Natasa said pointing to the map. “It will greatly strengthen the line and provide our units with more cover.”

“These units here also need to pull back slightly again there is more cover here and it will give Apollonia’s units nowhere to hide,” Natasa pointed to another part of the map.

Kephos regarded Natasa for a moment before speaking “I see your plan, Daidalos see to it the units get those orders and move them to those locations immediately.”

A tall slender man nodded and immediately started issuing the orders via his comms unit.

“General there is another area that is open to attack, if I am right Apollonia’s general will send a couple of mecha units through this tight pass here. If they can get behind our lines they can reach this command post and all will be lost, I am going to head there and make sure nothing gets through.”

“I will leave you in command but will keep my eye on the battle from Ishtar if I see anything else I will call in.”

The general nodded as Natasa turned and walked out the door. The general continued to gaze after her for a moment his face showing indifference before he finally smiled and went back to work. He was impressed the princess of Ur was definitely more capable than she looks he thought.

Natasa quickly made her way to the small pass she had located on the map. The pass was just wide enough for Ishtar to squeeze into but definitely not big enough to properly use a sword. Natasa realised she would probably have to use beam weapons to take out any mecha’s she came across.

If she found none as she travelled the pass she would hopefully come out behind Apollonia’s units and help catch them in crossfire. Athanas’s unit should already be in a position of strength and able to take Apollonia’s force out but it never hurt to have help she thought. The route through the pass meant Natasa had to go slow.

Ishtar’s wings were folded behind the mecha to prevent them catching on the sheer sides of the pass. The pass itself was nothing more than steep cliffs either side of her with a tight path between; even with the wings folded Ishtar was too large to make fast progress. It had been over an hour since she had left the command post and Natasa was only about half way through the pass.

The comms suddenly activated “Princess the units to the south have managed to take out most of Apollonia’s units there and those remaining have surrendered. The units to the north are making progress but it’s slow, we estimate they should have control there in another half an hour.” Kephos’s voice spoke with none of the distaste it had earlier.

Just then a proximity warning sounded movement ahead.

“Princess I am detecting 2 heavily armed mecha’s around the next bend,” stated Ishtar.

“General I will call you back looks like I was right about this pass, I have 2 enemy mecha’s closing in.”

“Very well I will be in touch, Kephos out.”

With that he was gone, Natasa brought Ishtar to a halt and made the mecha crouch. Despite the narrowness of the pass Natasa had Ishtar hold her sword in her left hand whilst training the beam weapon where the first mecha would appear. She knew if she hit the first the second could use it as cover and she would be vulnerable.

If she was to succeed she would need to be very quick and take both out. A few seconds went by and Natasa felt the tension in her grow then all of a sudden there it was. Natasa fired hitting the mecha’s cockpit, the pilot had no chance as the cockpit and surrounding area turned into molten slag from the power of the weapon.

The first mecha fell backwards as the second mecha came around behind it, Natasa not wanting to give it time to target made Ishtar jump high dropping the beam weapon and gripping the sword with both hands. There was no avoiding the cliffs as she flew through the air coming down on the second mecha from above.

As Ishtar descended towards the mecha her arms thrust the blade straight down through the shoulder of the mecha and into the cockpit and power plant killing the pilot instantly. Natasa had no time to move before part of the cliffs collapsed on top of Ishtar and the two downed mecha’s burying them in tons of rock.

up
87 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Lost opportunities

Well, it seems that Natasa and her mother missed out on the close relation they could have had due to insufficient data. Natasa, not knowing she was actually female, interpreted her dreams as being nightmares. Her mother, instead of attempting to find out why her 'son' saw these dreams as unsettling nightmares, cut them off and blocked the memory. What might have been if they'd only talked openly and honestly?

m

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive

I've Heard of Cliffhangers!

Megumi-chan,

Many writers leave us in suspense with cliff-hanging breaks where we wonder what happened to our heroine. But you've gone one step further and let the cliff fall on our heroine.

We know she survives, but what about Ishtar will she be alright? Is the princess captured by the evil sister?

I know, that is the cliff hanger that we have to wait for.

Thank you for sharing your wonderful story.

As always,

Dru

As always,

Dru

Mhuhahhahahahaha

Mhuhahhahahahaha (sound of manical laughter)

Sorry I am not the diet coke of evil, 1 calorie not evil enough hehehe

Megimi :P

Yule

Bailey's Angel
The Godmother :p

Ouch!

Kind of a sad chapter, finding out Natasa missed out on a closer relationship with her mother. It will be interesting to see what information Ishtar uncovers from the necklace.

Keep up the good work!

Saless

"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Could it be???

That she will have time to do the download while waiting to be unburied? Maybe she isn't really trapped, just needs to dig herself out of the rubble. Something you may want to bring out is any ECM (electronic counter measures, such as jamming communications) being used. Hopefully the canyon is masking any sensor readings Apollonia's forces would be using to track the progress of the scouts.

Thank you for a most enjoyable story and I look forward to the next chapters. :)

Huggles,

Winnie

Huggles,

Winnie
Winnie_small.jpg

Natasa: Warrior Princess

The title fits, because she can truly kick butt like Xena: Warrior Princess can, or Wonder Woman.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Hum, what about the sword?

Ishtar -- snicker, that's the title of one of Hollywood's all time *bombs* -- said the necklace and sword were data gathers/stores.

What is in the sword? LOVED the bit about why she was naked when she came out of the battlearmor that first time. My what a naughty Queen she will soon be.

Still wonder is the Prince's sister power hungry, evil or deceived to attack him?

Great comic, serious, romantic, sentimental romp and you make it all work.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

The answer is 'D'

Still wonder is the Prince's sister power hungry, evil or deceived to attack him?

All the above. She is power-hungry and evil, and was likely tricked by Sekeulos into attacking. He probably promised he would attack and the two-front battle would split the defending forces. Instead Sekolous waited.

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive

Why is the sister?

I think all of the answers everyone given is right, but perhaps we can add Natasa. Nearly all of his life, here he is going on about his dream friend and perfect mate, blah, blah, blah. That alone would drive any sibling mad. Now here is the bimbo in the flesh, heir to the throne of their neighbor. The nerve of her brother! So he thinks he's going to have a happily ever after ending? Not if she has anything to say about it! By the way I have I said I love this? :)

hugs!

grover

PS: Leave it to John to mention the sword. Phallic symbols anyone? Bad John, bad!!!! :)