Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 667.

Printer-friendly version
Wuthering Dormice
(aka Bike)
Part 667
by Angharad
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

Simon drove us to the school. It was lunch time and the head mistress had suggested we do it quickly and quietly, then take her home to our house. Of course, Trish would have to come home as well, because I couldn’t cope with having to come to get her later. Also, this was like a family crisis, and it required all the members to be present to deal with it.

Mima had been briefed and understood in a limited way what had happened. She burst into tears and it took a little while to calm her down. How Livvie would take it–I had no idea, although I suspected Trish would be quite tearful, not because she would miss the woman, but because her friend would be hurting.

Simon and I followed the headmistress into her office. “I hate moments like this,” she said as she arranged the seats. “As acting parents, I’m happy–no that’s the wrong word, but you know what I mean–for you to break the news.”

’Coward’, is what I thought, but I nodded all the same. Someone had to do it, and it would possibly be better coming from me than the authority figure the headmistress represented.

Livvie had been summoned and she was brought to the office where she knocked and entered. When she saw me there, her face moved from showing fear to mortal terror.

“Headmistress,” she said bobbing a curtsey, “Auntie Cathy, Uncle Simon, have I done something wrong?”

“No sweetheart, but we have some bad news for you.”

“Oh, has Mummy died?”

I nearly fell over. She knew her mother had been involved in an accident of some sort, so it made some logical sense.

“I’m afraid so,” I opened my arms to offer a hug and she slowly came to me.

“Does this mean I have to go and live with Daddy?”

“Not for the moment,” I answered.

“Can I stay with you, Auntie Cathy?”

“For the moment. Do you have any grandparents?”

“Not really, Daddy’s parents divorced when he was little and we don’t even know where they are. They’ve never been to see us.”

“What about Mummy’s parents?” I asked.

“They’re dead.”

“Oh, I’m sorry,” I felt myself blush and she walked up to me and allowed me to hug her.

“Please, I’d like to live with you, Auntie Cathy.”

“You can until we sort something out with your daddy.”

“He doesn’t care about me, he’s only seen me twice in the past year. I’d like to stay with you. Trish said you weren’t her real mummy, but she’s allowed to stay with you, so why can’t I?” This was when the tears started, her first then me and then the head mistress. Simon ran out of hankies, and he was moist eyed, too.

“Would you like to come home with us now?” I asked.

“I won’t have to go to bloody Scotland, will I?” she said and I nearly fell over trying not to laugh, which would have been so inappropriate, but being on a knife edge, it’s easy to do the wrong thing.

“No, not unless you want to.”

“I’d like to see the castle that Trish’s gramps owns, but not my daddy’s flat. It’s horrid.”

“We have to get Trish, so we’ll be ready to go in a minute.” I said as the head mistress summoned my foster daughter. She appeared with a worried look on her face as well and when she saw Livvie, she knew that there was a problem with her mummy.

“Trish, Livvie’s mummy has died in an accident, so we’re all going home.”

“Oh sorry, Livvie,” she offered her friend a hug and they both cried together for a moment. I couldn’t avoid the tears myself, it was such a touching embrace–and only little girls could have done it together. Even Simon was sniffing.

We escaped through the playground while the children were being called to start the next lesson. The drive home was pretty well in silence. I sat in the back of the car with a child on either side of me, an arm around each. It was probably the saddest journey I have ever made.

“How did she die–Mummy, I mean?” asked Livvie as we stopped at roadworks.

“I don’t know, sweetheart, I expect we’ll find out in a short time.”

“I don’t want to know. Did Daddy kill her?”

I felt my heart miss a beat, “I don’t know anything, sweetheart.” I lied to this child, and I felt myself get hot and bothered. It was the appropriate thing to do at that moment, she didn’t need to know, and officially, I didn’t know anyway.

Simon put the car radio on, it was two o’clock and we got the news headlines. Most of it was about the Prime Minister surviving an attempted coup by some of his back benchers. Then: ‘Police in Edinburgh, investigating the death of a woman who fell from a third floor balcony, have arrested her estranged husband on suspicion of manslaughter.’

“What’s manslaughter, Auntie Cathy?”

“It’s a criminal charge brought by the police when someone unintentionally kills someone else. Like if we were to knock someone down on the way home, we could be guilty of manslaughter. It’s a form of unlawful killing.”

“So Daddy did kill her, then?”

“I don’t know, sweetheart, I didn’t even know she’d fallen from the balcony. All I knew, was she had died.”

Trish was sniffing, but Livvie stayed quiet, almost in repose. “I wanted to come and live with you before she died.”

“What?” I gasped and Simon swerved.

“I told Trish, I wanted you to be my mummy. She says you love her. Nobody loves me–not my mummy or my daddy. I’m only in the way.”

I hugged her tightly to me, partly because I so wanted her to feel she was loved and partly because I was weeping freely and I didn’t want her to see me. I let go Trish and put two arms around Livvie.

“Sweetheart, we love you, Trish, Mima, Simon and me, we all love you. Grampa Tom, also loves you. I’m sure your mummy loved you too.”

“No she didn’t, she told me I was a ‘bloody’ nuisance often enough, and Daddy didn’t want me, he’s got a girlfriend and she wouldn’t want me. So can I stay with you, will you be my mummy too, like you are with Trish and Meems?”

“She’s not my real mummy, she’s my foster mummy, but she’s wonderful,” said Trish, “I’m sure she could foster you too if you asked her nicely, and we know a judge. He said I could stay with Mummy, didn’t he, Mummy?”

“Yes, darling, he did.” I wondered if she would be subject to Scottish law or English, and if there was any difference. If she really wanted to stay, I’d have to try and help her. I really didn’t need another child to look after. Thank goodness, Stella was available to help, even in a limited sense. It looked increasingly as if my career was on hold until we sorted out Livvie, not entirely what I’d have asked for, but somehow we’d have to cope. Quite how, I hadn’t yet figured out.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
140 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

It Seems That Livvie Wasn't Surprised

jengrl's picture

Livvie wasn't surprised to hear about her mother and that her father may have been responsible. One has to wonder if she will be suffering from PTSD after what she has endured. I'm glad that Cathy and the family will be there for her. She definitely needs to know she is loved and wanted. I shudder to think what the poor thing would go through if she was released into the System and shuffled even more than she already was.

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

PTSD

Pretty much the entire family have endured traumatic stress - what with the Russian Mafia (twice), anti-cyclist attackers, the media, biological parents (Cathy and all three girls!), attempted suicides, medical complications...

It's a wonder the entire lot of 'em don't suffer PTSD! If much more happens to them they'll need a live-in psychotherapist...


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

One more...who's next?

So, Cathy's family keeps growing...and she and Simon aren't even married yet. The plot thickens!

If only...

If only she had fallen off a cliff !!! LOL Bwa hah ha ha ha ha!
Cliff hanger, get it? :-)

GROAN!

Very punny, Ms Christine!

Jenny

Jenny

time to pay the piper

This next few I chapters I feel it will be about crime and 'PUN'ishment.

Hugs,

Jenna From FL

Hugs,
Jenna From FL
Moderator/Editor
TopShelf BigCloset
It is a long road ahead but I will finally become who I should be.

Heartbreaking

That a child so young is already so cynical is wrong in so many ways. Poor Livvie.


I went outside once. The graphics weren' that great.

Cynical, yes...

... but realistic in her outlook. She knew her mother for what she was, and her reaction to the news only reflected her true feelings.

PB

Cynical?

Or did she maybe have a little insight into this actually happening?

I hate to think it, but with the hatred openly displayed to Livvie by her parents, I wouldn't be surprised if she had overheard her dad commenting at least once on how he wanted her mom to die.

*sigh*.

Not something that a kid would ever deserve.

With Trish's "book smarts" and Livvie's "street smarts," Cathy will certainly have her hands full now.

Yeah

When you've got a five-year-old who isn't even surprised at the idea that her father might kill her mother, and has known since ??? that neither parent wants her, then I'd say the poor kid has gotten very cynical about life way too early in life. Maybe now with Cathy and Co. she'll have a chance to just be a kid.

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive

Livvie Needs

All of the LOVE that she can get from her new family. She has been emotionally abused. she needs a heaping helping of TLC for several days.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

And Cathy has a large supply of love

to give. Livvie couldn't be in much better hands right now. Sad that they had to hear the details on the news but not surprising.

ridicerluss

kristina l s's picture

You got me teary with this one, which doesn't happen all that often. The whole situation..... ack. Very nicely outlined and all too believable.

Kristina

Livvie's reaction is no

Livvie's reaction is no surprise, nor her wanting to stay with Cathy. Poor kid needs a break, and Cathy is it. Too bad Cathy isn't getting any breaks.

Saless

"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

The X-Women, or Watts Up, Doc?

Between Cathy's ability to commune with the dead and power to emit healing rays, little Livvie's clairvoyance, Jemima's ability to use her voice as a stun-weapon and Trish's superior analytical abilities, we've got quite a high-Wattage Super-family shaping up here.

Will additional super-powers manifest themselves? Tune in daily to find out!

I can see a real future for

I can see a real future for Cathy and Simon in using the castle Henry has as a "home for young girls" who need a Mummy and Daddy. As their little "family" keeps growing, it might soon be there. Guess Cathy doesn't have to worry about Livvie's Mum trying to "out her". I wonder if Livvie has figured out Trish or Cathy yet, as she seems to be another very bright little girl as is Trish. J-Lynn

Here is the question

How many flower girls is Cathy going to have at her Wedding and will the Queen attend the wedding?

Hugs,

Jenna From FL

Hugs,
Jenna From FL
Moderator/Editor
TopShelf BigCloset
It is a long road ahead but I will finally become who I should be.

Flower Girls? What Flower Girls?

Flower girls must be an American thing, because in Britain they are virtually unknown. I say "virtually" because in my long life I have attended many weddings, and have yet to see a single flower girl, or even a ring bearer—in Britain the custom is that the ring is the responsibility of the best man. Small girls nearly always appear in the bridal party as bridesmaids and young boys act as pages who look after the train of the wedding dress. I will admit that the majority of weddings I have attended have been in church with only a few in a Register Office.

Also if the vicar of our village church (which is over 600 years old) saw a small girl scattering flower petals all over the floor in front of the bridal procession he would, almost certainly, throw a gigantic hissy fit.

Gabi

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

The UK is behind the times

Undoubtedly you people haven't got the hang of the concept of a wedding as a megashow. Bridesmaids are generally teen or adult friends or family of the bride, little girls are given the flower girl job to start indoctrinating them to want the same or better when they grow up and get married. Ring bearer is to teach the boys at a young age that their only job in this vast feminine production is to cough up a suitably large diamond.

As for the cleanup, that is all included in the cost of the show.


I went outside once. The graphics weren' that great.

I may be old-fashioned…

…but the very thought of making a wedding into a "megashow" just fills me with horror. In UK we like our weddings to be traditional.

Imagine the wedding of The Prince of Wales to Lady Diana Spencer at St Paul's Cathedral with added flower girls? Eeewww yuck and double yuck! And I can't see either Prince William or Prince Harry having them either.

Long live tradition, I say.

Gabi

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Not old-fashioned

Out of touch

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive

NO!... NO!, NO!

PattieBFine's picture

   It's like this! once she dropped her off for more than twenty-four hours... the three new sisters invoked The Power Of Three! That made moms karmic dept get cashed in, SEE? Cathy is just their white-lighter... Si's the standard-given bumbeling mortal male, you can fill the blanks on where the others fit right in to such a family. The part everyone seems to have missed totally... was just what book the girls were all reading together that morning that they didn't invade Cathy & Simonds bed!

   Don't tell me you didn't even recognize the demon attacks? Stella's possesions... The future-sight... work with me here!

;-()

Lucky Livvie

...of all the girls in Trish's school, She choose Trish to be her best friend.

With parents like Livvie's, The poor mite must have feared that sooner or later she would end up in a childrens home, Thankfully her best friend's mother has a lot of love to give, For once in her short life it seems something has gone right.

Now the fun can begin, With three daughters to look after life will become a little more hectic for Cathy, Any thoughts of resuming her various jobs must now be in doubt,Still you do get the feeling that just maybe, Cathy is happier now than she has ever been!

Hugs Kirri

My goodness

shiraz's picture

Angharad, you've achieved something here that does not happen very often. I have two very damp eyes and my sadness is for Livvie's take on this situation. Yes she is cynical, very matter-of-fact, but even she understands that she needs close family support and that she could not get it from her own parents.

Topsy

- - - -

Paperback cover Boat That Frocked.png

Is Writing This Easy?

As easy as falling off a bike or a log or whatever? I'm sure it's not.. That makes me all the more grateful to you, Ang, for doing this for us poor whatevers.

Having said that, I think we were all waiting for something to happen that would make Livvie become a permanent resident of the Cameron/Watt/(what's Tom's last name again?) household.

It DOES look as though Cathy's career is on hold for the next ten or fifteen years, eh?

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

children of dysfunctional families

hmm, just wondering knowing my own background & other kids with simular.

Livvie seems to be, Trish also, & Annie seems to young to be, but, having such a background, then, put someplace they flourish. seem to grow-age faster or is it my imagination ? They all have some sense of knowledge & wisdom way what I would call way past beyond normal for their ages

also one other question comes to mind. Trisha & Livvie are listed @ age five. yet they seem to be going to school full-time / aka all day. Is this normal in UK. Our five yr olds would be attending what is called Kindergarten 1/2 days ...which is technically pre- 1st grade

Flower Girls

I had thought that was a universal custom, but I guess not. Britain and the USA are so close in some ways, and so far in others.

So a flock of little girls are brides maids? This could be interesting, I sense the humor in this one.

You know, Cathy isn't a virgin or anything, but 3 kids? Knowing Angharad there is the possibility of more.

There is an old joke about an eager young bride can do in 6 months what takes a cow and countess 9 months.

That's three

Seems Livvie feels that is two problems out of the way, poor kiddo. This is a dream that comes true (to quote that muck, Disney). Livvie loves Mima, and Trish already, and has been calling Cathy mommie.
Done Deal !

Cefin