The Princess and the Plague : 28

Printer-friendly version


The Princess and the Plague
Part 28
By Anistasia Allread
Edited by Karen J AND Edeyn

"Samantha... does anyone show up to Homecoming as a threesome?"

"What?"

     
duckling.jpg


 
 
"How was school?" Mrs. Martin asked as Erika stuffed her duffel into the back seat.

"School is school," Erika sighed, "I'm tired."

"Oh?"

"Hard practice," Erika explained.

"Hungry?"

"Yes."

"Well, then, let's go eat before we go. What do you feel like having?" she asked as she pulled out of the school lot.

"Red meat. I think I need some iron."

Mrs. Martin raised an eyebrow at that, "Burgers or steak?"

"I don't care," Erika shrugged, "Any news about the blood tests?"

"Not yet."

They rode in silence to Blue Bird Burgers.

"How do we do this?" Erika asked.

"What's that?" Her mother asked.

"Shop for homecoming dresses?"

"You just try different ones on and see which looks best with your figure as well as with your personality."

"Samantha said, 'no pink,'" Erika told her.

Mrs. Martin smiled, "I think soft pinks wouldn't be too flattering on your skin tone, but don't rule them out."

The waitress took their order, leaving them in an uncomfortable silence, avoiding each other's gazes.

"Have you, um... Have you seen Dr. Barts lately?" Erika inquired.

Mrs. Martin nodded.

"How is it going?"

"I... I just don't know," she shook her head, "I just don't understand how you'd want to be something that you were not created as."

Erika was silent.

"Eric, I mean, Erika," her mother slipped, "I grew up in a time when women didn't have the same rights as men. We were considered and thought of as second class citizens. The women of my family as well as many of my friends had to fight, and claw our way out of the stereotypical role of what a woman was..." she paused and looked at her daughter, "Why would you want to step into that kind of situation?"

"Mom," Erika began, "I'm still figuring this stuff out. But I do know that I'm way more comfortable being Erika. I spent my first thirteen years as a boy -- and failed miserably. I was lonely, I was picked on, I didn't or couldn't excel at anything but drawing. Since I have switched to being 'this' me, I've been able to do all kinds of things. I have friends for the first time, ever. Real friends. Friends that are sweet, happy and supportive. My grades are up, I'm on the Rally squad and I'm going to the Homecoming dance. Eric would never have gone to the dance, let alone been expected to participate."

"But women aren't treated as equals," Her mother pointed out, "You're leaving a life of advantage for one of struggle."

"I don't see it that way," Erika pointed out, "Sure, guys are stronger and make more money. But there are many more options opening up for women all of the time. We are becoming the power house of the world. More women are graduating from college than men. More women are in leadership roles not only in business, but in politics as well. Women can be mothers or power executives — or both. If anything, I think that women are starting to get the upper hand in the sexual revolution."

Mrs Martin was quiet for a few moments, her gaze distant in thought. She looked back at her daughter across the table, "I'd like it if you would start going to church with me."

"Church? Why?"

"Well, women are very intuitive and faithful people. I just think it would be a good idea if you and I would start going to church."

"What church?"

"I thought we'd attend a different church each Sunday until we found one that we liked."

"Will you be happier with me if I started going to church?" Erika asked.

"I think it would be a nice bonding experience."

Erika rolled her eyes. She was going to have to add church on top of Rally squad, self defense classes, building a rope course and spending time with her friends and Tricia.

"As long as we don't have to go to the crack of dawn service," Erika agreed.

"Okay," her mother smiled at her small victory.
 
 

--o0o--

 
 
Erika was as tired as she was excited by the time she and her mother slumped into the car and started for home. She had had no idea how tiring shopping could be. She had lost track of how many dresses she had tried on, let alone what colors they had been.

She tried on strapless dresses, dresses with straps, halter tops, dresses with no sleeves some with something called cap sleeves. Silk, taffeta, satin, rayon, and polyester. She tried on skirts that had long sleek skirts and dresses with short, knee length skirts. Dresses with slits all the way up the side, and others that poofed out in a huge mound of fabric.

Then there were all of the undergarments. Strapless bras, corsets, slips, underskirts, garter-belts. Just to name a few.

"Don't settle for a dress," Mrs. Martin cautioned as they entered the store, "You have to own the dress, make it yours. You want to stand out in the crowd, yet fit in. The dress you pick says a lot about who you are. The kind of dress you choose also dictates how you'll wear your hair and how your makeup is to look. It will also determine what kind of jewelry you'll wear."

"All of that just from what dress I choose?" Erika asked in disbelief.

"If you choose a halter dress, then you'll want to wear your hair all up, showing off the fact that your dress is haltered. If your dress is backless, then you'll want some or all of your hair loose to caress your shoulders. Strapless dresses allow you to go either way depending upon how nice your shoulders are."

"All of that for just your hair?" Erika shook her head.

"Your jewelry depends upon the hair and the dress. If you wear your hair down, you'll want earrings that peek through your hair. If your hair is up, then you'll generally want something like a chandelier earring. If you're wearing a halter topped dress then you most likely won't need a necklace, but if you are wearing a sleeveless dress then you'll want something to adorn your neck."

"I never knew that so much went into picking a dress for Homecoming," Erika followed her mother into the area of the store that had rack upon rack of dresses, "How do I know which type I want to wear?" Erika asked.

"Well," her mother sighed, "I guess we'll have to try one of each on to see what you look best in and to see what you are comfortable in. What size are you? Let's see... You will probably be a petite Let's try a size eight first."

Erika with arms loaded, entered the dressing rooms. She still felt a bit alien going into what used to be a forbidden zone. She hung up the dresses and began to try and work out how to put each one on.

"Okay, that one doesn't work," Erika's mother commented as she stepped out of the dressing room.

"I don't like these," Erika fluffed at the poofy lace shoulders.

"Me neither," Her mother agreed, "I didn't care for the spaghetti strap one, either."

"Now what?" Erika asked.

"Now we look for color and skirt length and fit along with the embellishments."

Once they finally found 'the' dress, Erika's mother took her to the lingerie department. She had her try on several types of bras and slips, and camis.

Erika's mother selected a few of the items, "On to shoes."

Having set the dress and undergarments on hold, Erika and her mother entered the kingdom of shoes.

"Your dress isn't Tea-length, so you'll need to pick out a pair of pretty shoes. Shoes that match and accessorize your dress. I'd suggest shoes with a low heel, no higher than three inches with a rounded or open toe,"

Erika and her mother perused the tables with their layers upon layers of shoes set out for display When they found one that they liked, they added it to others in their hands.

"How may I help you?" a salesperson asked.

"We'd like to try on these shoes," her mother handed the shoes to the young man who then disappeared into the stockroom, as Erika and her mother found two chairs.

"You'll be wearing these for at least six hours. Make sure that they don't pinch or feel too tight anywhere. Make sure that the arch fits correctly and that the heel isn't too high," Her mother cautioned her.

Erika tried on several different kinds of shoes, a few felt uncomfortable as soon as she put them on. Others she walked around in; back and forth between the tables of shoes.

"Are we done yet?" Erika asked after finally deciding on a pair of shoes.

"Almost. We need to get you some earrings, and perhaps a wrap,"

"A wrap?" Erika questioned.

"To keep your shoulders warm."

"Oh."

Erika's feet and brain were tired. The memory of the dress, which now hung in back of the car, lightened her mood a little. The next puzzle to solve, it seemed, was how to get Tricia a date and for them to double with Julian and herself for Homecoming.

"Do you know where you want to get your hair done?" Mrs. Martin asked.

"I hadn't thought about it,"

"You need to make an appointment tonight or tomorrow or else it will be hard for you to get in," she cautioned.

"What should I do with it?" Erika asked.

"Why don't you look through some magazines and find things you like. Show them to your stylist,"

Erika nodded.

"Tired?" Her mom asked.

"Yes,"

"When we get home, why don't you take your stuff upstairs and then soak in a bath for a while,"

Erika just nodded.
 
 

--o0o--

 
 
"Hey there, how did it go?" her father asked as they carried their purchases into the house.

"She is now outfitted for the dance," Her mother smiled.

"I'm beat," Erika yawned.

"I thought girls were supposed to like shopping," Her dad teased.

"Maybe, but after a long day at school, and Rally practice, to do a shopping marathon with Mom? I'm exhausted."

Erika carried her things upstairs and put them away, hanging the dress, still in its bag in the closet and tucking the shoes underneath it.

"Your mother said you might want to use this," Her father spoke from the door.

Erika turned and retrieved some bottles from his hands, "Thanks."

"So did you have fun with your mother tonight?" her dad asked.

"I guess," Erika stifled a yawn.

"She is trying, you know," his eyes scanned the room.

"I know,"

"So what did you get tonight?"

"The dress, shoes, some undergarments, a wrap... stuff."

Silence enveloped the room.

"Well, I'm glad you and your mother had fun," he turned to leave.

"Thanks Daddy," Erika said as he walked out.

Erika took the offered items into the bathroom. Bath oils. Hmm. She had never taken a bath with this stuff before. She started the bath water before turning her stereo to some soft music, and then slipped out of her clothes and into the steaming hot water.

Next Friday was Homecoming. She had to get in an extra rehearsal or two with Jordon or Taylor if she could before Friday. Friday was a half day of school. They had the Homecoming parade as well as the pep rally. Then the game. But wait a minute -- they presented the Homecoming queen and her court at half time. If she truly was to be in the court, then how was she to cheer at the game? She'd have to talk to Taylor about that as well.

Saturday was the dance. How long does it take to get ready for a dance? As Eric It would take about half an hour. As Erika? She couldn't even guess. She needed to get her hair done, take extra care with her makeup and make sure that she looked decent in her dress.

Julian said that he had made reservations for the Bay House. Was she expected to pay for her dinner, or was he to pick up the tab? Tricia. She had to figure out how to get Tricia on the date with her and Julian.

"Why can't she go with Julian and I?" Erika muttered aloud, "Hmmm,"
 
 

--o0o--

 
 
Erika slipped into her soft nightgown and set her alarm before climbing into bed.

Her cell phone rang. Erika picked it up

"Tricia?"

"Hey Erika. Did you find a dress?"

"Yes."

"Well? Tell me about it."

"I'm too tired right now. Besides, I'd rather you wait to see it."

"Oh?"

"I had a thought though." Erika told her.

"What?"

"What if you and I both went to Homecoming with Julian."

"Like a triple date kind of thing?"

"Come now, what guy wouldn't want to have two pretty girls on his arm for Homecoming?"

Tricia giggled.

"You wouldn't mind sharing me with Julian would you?"

There was a silence on the phone.

"Would you?" Erika practically pleaded.

"No. I guess I could settle with sharing you on Homecoming. It'd be better than going with someone I hardly know, or like."

"We'll have to ask him tomorrow. Wait, I thought you were still grounded."

"Mom gave me back my phone tonight," Tricia explained, "You were the first person I called."

Erika felt a flush of warmth wash over her body.

"I'm glad you called. I am just tired. I need to get some sleep."

"Night, Erika."

"Night, Tricia."
 
 

--o0o--

 
 
Erika checked the weather out her window again. It was going to be another cold, rainy day. She pulled at the tights covering her legs and then finished lacing her rally shoes. She went into the bathroom and looked at herself in the mirror. The red Rally uniform was something she was becoming quite proud of. The turtle neck under her shell top would still take some time to get used to. She brushed some mascara on and hit her lips with a bit of gloss before grabbing her duffel and heading downstairs.

"That looks cute," her mother said looking up from her coffee.

"Thanks," Erika grinned.

"Sleep well?"

Erika nodded, "Could I have some coffee?"

"I guess," her mother nodded.

Erika poured herself a cup and added some cream and lots of sugar. She dropped two pieces of bread into the toaster and sipped at her steaming cup.

"Did you have someone who you wanted to do your hair, or shall I make an appointment?" her mother asked.

"I'd like Sasha to do my hair, but he lives too far away. Go ahead and make an appointment."

Erika's mother nodded, "I liked Sasha too."

Erika buttered the two pieces of toast, "Are you coming to the game tonight?"

"I don't know. I might," Erika's mother admitted.

"What about Dad?"

"I think he was planning on it. He'll be picking you up right afterward, regardless."

"Okay."

The doorbell rang.

"That's Samantha. Gotta go," Erika wolfed down the last of her toast and quickly washed it down with the rest of her coffee.

The cold rain came down in large droplets, adding to the grayness. Rotting leaves on the pavement left brownish rust stains where their pigment leached into the cement. Erika lowered her umbrella against the gusts of wind that snuck up and threatened to rip the umbrella from her grasp.

"It is going to be a cold one tonight, did you bring your warm ups?"

"Yes," Erika tapped her duffel, "Samantha... does anyone show up to Homecoming as a threesome?"

"What?"

Erika explained her and Tricia's plan to Samantha.

"Two girls going with one guy?" You know it'll probably be looked upon as Tricia not getting a date. Everyone knows that you and Julian are kind of an item -- and they know that you and Tricia are kind of an item. So maybe it won't be seen as Julian with two girls, but you with a girl and a boy,"

Tricia met Erika with a hug and a kiss while being sheltered under the umbrella.

"Nasty weather. Is it supposed to be like this all day?" Tricia asked.

"All weekend," Samantha nodded, "Welcome to Constitution."

"So, are you going to tell me about your dress?" Tricia asked of Erika.

"No. I think I want it to be a surprise," Erika grinned, "Oh, before I forget," her mind leapt to a different topic, "I promised my mom that I would start going to church with her on Sundays."

"Church?" Samantha rolled her eyes.

"Hey Church is a chance to dress up and to meet people," Tricia defended.

"Are you sure your mom doesn't just want to 'save' you from being a girl?" Samantha posed.

"I don't know what her purpose is, but I told her I would go," Erika said firmly.

The girls walked up the school steps. Erika shook water from her umbrella and closed it as they entered.

"Now, we have a proposal to make to Julian," Erika looked at Tricia and smiled.


 
To Be Continued...

up
214 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

What's she up to?

I hope Erika's mother is really coming around, and not up to something! Still don't like the deal with Julian, but at least she'll be with Tricia.

Another excellent chapter Anistasia!

Saless

"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Could be...

I wouldn't put it past her!

Saless

"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Pick 'n' Mix

Having 'experimented' with many different churches in my life (before more-or-less abandoning the concept except when visiting Mum), they're all different - even two churches that outwardly share the same 'flavour' of Christianity can have radically different beliefs, attitudes and styles of service.

Evidently a church with a 'traditional' beliefset would not be a pleasant experience, but hopefully they'll find some with a more liberal outlook in and around town...

 
 
--Ben


This space intentionally left blank.

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Blue Bird Burgers

terrynaut's picture

Hey! You're early. :)

You added a lot more background and descriptions in this chapter. That's good! The only thing you skipped over was the burger joint. It sounded like an interesting place. I wish you would've described it a bit. All you gave us was the name. :(

I really like how this chapter flowed, and I love the progress that Erika is making with her mother. Yay!

Thanks for the chapter and please keep up the good work.

- Terry

Me, I'd Say That Erika's Mom

Is trying yo not only cope, but tohelp her daughter, too. Until she can overcome her fear of the status quo, she will see all females as inferior. Me, I see women as equal to me in all thi, except that they are prettier by far.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Three's Company

That is a clever way to get around the dilemma, though fraught with potential for hurt feelings and their side-effects.

Also, a shopping chapter that actually works for me!

Thank you for a great chapter. ^__^

-Liz

Successor to the LToC
Formerly known as "momonoimoto"

Just what has happened to

Just what has happened to Erika's mother.. Is she really trying to bond with her daughter? Or is she up to something?

From being someone who wanted to keep things the same as they had always been Mom now seems to have gone in the opposite direction....very strange!!!

Not to sure how happy Tricia is with Erika's idea for the homecoming, Maybe Erika ought to bite the bullet and take Tricia by herself.

great writing as always Anistasia.. thanks for posting my latest fix!!!

Hugs Kirri

Church...

Church is going to be a bad idea in my opinion. Erica deciding to go to it because she feels the need is good, going as a sop for her mother is bad as it is for the wrong reasons. Still we'll see how it pans out.

JC

The Legendary Lost Ninja

I honestly don't think...

Church is a BAD idea. It's not necessarily a good one either. It all depends on the church, how THEY act, and how the people in the church react. (Sooner or later, I'll find out just HOW inclusive mine is... I guess they will too.)

Annette

Can't agree more

The more liberal Episcopal and Universalist churches are about the only organized ones I can even stomach.

Kim

Your usual good work.

AA:

I am really liking the direction this story is taking. The impression I am getting is that in many places, life has many more posibilities for young trans folk than it did a few years back.

Many blessings

Gwendolyn

Going too smoothly

RAMI

Things seem to be going too smoothly. Mom takes Erika out shopping and makes a great deal of it, introducing her to all that she needs to obtain to be ready for the big night. Dad is still on board. A plan is being hatched to solve the Tricia/Julian dilemma.

We do not know if mom has been a church goer before or if this is something brand new. If it is something never done before then it could be an attempt by mom to do something uncalled for. If she brings Erika to a strongly homophobic type of church, all hell could
break loose. Any gains made by her with Erika will be destroyed and Erika will react negatively. It would be the worst way to try and convince Erika to try being a new Eric.

Does the nasty weather foreshadow danger ahead? I hope I am wrong, but I do not think Julian is going to go for the date idea.

RAMI

RAMI

Hmmm... A good question...

MANY of the guys I grew up with might well have enjoyed taking two lovely ladies... That said, I don't know how they'd have reacted about the two being "known" to be an "item"... both gays and lesbians were "invisible" back when I was in school. You heard about them - but not in our school. *sighs* In talking with my daughter, I think SOME of the guys - if they actually were "friendly" with one or the other of the girls - and felt that they were going WITH him, not just using him to get there would be quite happy to take two girls.

Now, IF they both go with Julian - they have to give him, his share of dances! If they spend all their time together - that'll likely be much to their detriment!

Second point... That "LOW" three (3) inch heel! I did a double take on that one, and then talked to my older daughter again... She (more or less) agreed that three (3) inches is not even close to LOW. We tend to use three breaks in heel height an inch or inch and a half is a low heel (no heel actually has maybe a half inch). Then a medium heel is in the two (2) to three and a half (3 1/2) inch range, and high in the four (4) or more range.

My older daughter uses this to classify it: If the heel is low enough I can walk however I want, it's low. If I have to completely change how I walk (to not break my neck) it's high. And, if it only takes a little modification - say a slightly shorter stride - then it's medium. Her "Highest" heel is about five (5) inches - though that's a NEW purchase, and she's not sure about it...

I guess we're "out of date" *sighs*

The story IS fun! Thank you,
Annette

Nope

You're not out of date. 3 inches is still considered a high heel. I have stuff higher but it is on a platform so it winds up no higher than 3. I have flat feet and walking even an hour in those pretty torture chambers is out of the question. They are mostly sitdown shoes for me.

Kim

I admit that I didn't really

I admit that I didn't really know any myself but if I had and if I knew the whole reasoning in why they might wanted to I would be more then willing to help them out. But that is just me and the type of person I am.

I Found Mom's Behavior...

...suspicious, though it's hard for me to point to anything specific other than the combination of "not created as" along with church. Was she trying to make the shopping experience more intense and complicated than it had to be? Taking advantage of Erika's fatigue? Should we question no one Erika's own age being present and Mom's near-dismissal of Samantha's one relayed suggestion (avoid pink)? There's nothing here that can't easily be attributed to Mom's wanting this (and church) to be a bonding experience, but I still found it disquieting.

We'll see what Julian has to say; so far he hasn't seemed like a my-way-or-the-highway type of guy, so I'm expecting him to go along with anything Erika suggests, even if it disappoints him. (Making him pay for Tricia at the restaurant doesn't seem fair, though.)

Good chapter.

Eric

The not having any of her

KristineRead's picture

The not having any of her friends with her was set up previously by her father, she is still grounded. This trip was required because she is being allowed to go to the dance, but she is still grounded.

I am concerned about the church thing... scary for it to come up now.

And I really don't like the way they are using Julian, but that is certainly realistic I am afraid.

Hugs,

Kristy

Oh, Right...

...I should have remembered that. (I did, actually, in another context, but didn't connect it up.)

Thanks.

Eric

No fair

You didn't tell us what any of the things she ended up buying looked like.

'Course not

She wants it to be a surprise. :)

It all makes sense now

All of Mom's seemingly contradictory behavior toward Eric/Erika makes sense to me now, in the light of the strongly internalized misogyny she so clearly expresses in this chapter. Erika's response shows that she doesn't share this negative, pessimistic view of "a woman's place," and the simple fact that she can express such beliefs so optimistically and unreservedly, vividly demonstrates how little of "male privilege" she enjoyed as Eric. Anyway it'd be nice to see some of Erika's optimism and "girl power" attitude rub off on Mom, maybe open her eyes a little to what's possible that she's been shutting herself off from.

Now, Dad doesn't seem like the kind of guy to "keep his woman in her place," though it sounds as if, from his family background, he might do some of that unthinkingly just because of how he was raised. It'll be interesting to see how the family dynamic readjusts if Mom becomes more "liberated" with Erika's help, and maybe bumps up against some of Dad's previously-unexamined misogynistic attitudes. Again, not that we've really seen signs of such a thing from him, but given his background it'd be almost a miracle if he hadn't internalized some of those attitudes to some degree.

As far as the church thing, I think Mom honestly just feels like she needs moral and spiritual support to deal with these drastic and unasked-for changes in her family--and while she's at it, figures it might help if Erika was a part of that. Her "not created that way" comment I think is just the dogmatic biblical literalism she was apparently raised with, rearing its ugly head. I suspect if they do find a church they can both be happy with, as Mom claims is her goal, it will be one with a less arrogant approach to understanding "God's will," one more open to the possibility that there could be far more subtlety in an omniscient and omnipotent deity's intentions than we mere mortals could possibly divine.

AA, I haven't been commenting much lately but I'm still loving this and looking forward to every installment!

I Think Mom's Really Trying

She's seriously conflicted (beliefs and background), but she's trying very hard to work through it (seeing Doctor Barts). She obviously loves her child. It appears (most of this week's posting) that she's making progress. I think the church thing is ok. They are going to try different churches which says to me that she's not focused on some ultra conservative sect. Plus, dad will not let something bad happen. We voted overwhelmingly for a happy ending. I think we need to sit back and see how Anistasia delivers it.

Naw, all these comments and conjecture are too much fun.

If I was Julian, I'd feel ...

Jezzi Stewart's picture

... really hurt and used if Erika didn't tell me that Tricia is to be her real date, but I'd be equally pissed if she asked me to be the "respectability beard" for them. I can't believe Erika doesn't have a clue as to how completely selfish and hurtful she's being to him. She made a commitment, and should honor it and leave Tricia out of it. She could explain to Tricia that she made a mistake accepting Julian's offer, but that she has to keep her promise to avoid hurting him, and hope that Tricia understands.

"All the world really is a stage, darlings, so strut your stuff, have fun, and give the public a good show!" Miss Jezzi Belle at the end of each show

BE a lady!

I have to agree about Julian,

however when you are the age of these kids, faced with your first school dance ever, it's hard to see everything in context. There is a huge potential for hurt feelings and retributions over this. And, don't forget that A/V kid that knows Erika's real identity. He has no specific reason to be loyal to Erika. Being a nerd/geek himself it's quite possible he could be attacked by the jocks for some reason and play that card as a "get out of jail" card. If some of Julian's jock friends got hold of this information somehow, they could justify an attack on Erika as retribution for her having deceived and hurt Julian. Oye.

I'm still rooting for Mom. It appears to me that Mom and Dad were both raised in a very male-dominated family, and Erika's family sort of slipped into that role by default, even though Erika's dad has shown himself to be much more sensitive and tolerant. Erika's mom finds the whole concept of women's equality to be foreign, but finds it ever more tempting to explore. It's clear Erika can open her eyes to a wider perspective on this issue.

Mom's comment about "not as you were created" could just have been a clumsy attempt to broach the subject. Mom is still having trouble realizing that Erika may just be fulfilling her destiny, rather than just flippantly "deciding" to "switch sides" so suddently.

The church thing could be a tool in Mom's war to regain her son, but if that were the case, I have to wonder why she provided Erika with the bath oils after the exhausting shopping trip. Rather, I believe Mom is still having trouble trying to fit in all the changes to her family dynamic, and is longing for some grounding from a higher authority. We all know how fraught with peril that may be, but she may not. Of course, since Erika passes so well, it's quite possible whatever churches they visit may not demonstrate how tolerant they may be for some time.

There are still plenty of buttons Anistasia can push, I still marvel at how she can navigate all the twists and turns this story has taken. Isn't it amazing how innocent and naive Erika can be sometimes? If she only knew how lucky she has been to have gotten this far!

Hugs
Carla Ann

that takes me back

I didn't have a date for our grad, but two lovely ladies (who the summer before stripped down to their underwear, which led me to the conclusion I wasn't like other boys) escorted me out of the hall.

DogSig.png