Trouser Snake -1

Printer-friendly version
Trouser Snake
by Shinigami
~~~~~Ch. 1~~~~~

 
I was having great fun with the cheerleaders. “Look at my pom poms, not my breasts! Yaaaaay breasts! I mean pom poms! Watch me kick and show my panties! Yaaaaaaay PANTIES!” You can tell a number of things from this. First, I had (and have) an odd sense of humor. Second, I was perhaps not as sexually mature as other boys my age.


 

Louisiana is a magical place. I learned that the hard way.
I moved here when I was ten from New York. Not the city, one of suburbs more toward Albany, but who gives a fuck? Had a different accent, my parents had more money than most other people’s parents did. My father was an architect and Katrina gave him some work. Point is most of the people living in my district weren’t doing so hot, and from their perspective, I was a stuck up prick. As far as I was concerned, they were greedy little assholes, most of them. So stereotypes persisted.
Actually I pretty much was a stuck up prick. Maybe I still am, well, except for the prick part, but we’re getting to that. Basically I tend to dislike stupid people. This is a real problem for me. A lot of people are stupid and just can’t help it. Mentally challenged folks, young children, senile old people, politicians… they all give me the creeps. It’s not like I have any reason to think I’m any better , I’ve done plenty stupid things, it just weirds me out when someone says something or does something inane. I don’t understand it. But what pisses me off about some people is how they can be so proud of their stupidity.
Like pep rallies.
This is relevant, I assure you. I was twelve, so I had been going to school in Imaginaire, Louisiana for about two years. There were one or two kids I found tolerable, who found me tolerable too, and since I was, well… lonely I guess is the only way to put it, on account of being a stuck up prick, I hung out with them every chance I got. There was Mike Thatcher, who was I guess my best friend by virtue of me having classes with him and hence spending more time with him: taller than me, blond hair in bowl cut and wearing glasses, yet still weirdly athletic. Big track nerd. Liked to run. And there was Bobby Singh. He was Indian. He spoke three other languages that I had never heard of as well as English, which he spoke without any accent I could discern. He was outgoing and liked people, which kind of clashed with my general aesthetic, but the three languages thing and his grades kind of impressed me, and really even the outgoing part was something I wanted to be able to pull off. Also I liked how he confused some people by not really being black.
The year of my first pep Rally, my first year in Junior high, there was all this lead up. “The pep Rally is coming!” teachers would enthuse, “Get ready for that Pep Rally, we’re really going to raise the roof!” I should note that the expression “raise the roof” had already by this time entered the leaky oubliette of old slang terms that are no longer cool. I have to admit I was getting excited. By the way everyone was going on about it, it was going to be like Christmas or something. So I’d ask what it was all about. Mike said “It’s a school get together to get students interested in sports.”
“You mean, like track and field?” I asked, because I was marginally interested in that, what with Mike being involved. I even tried running with him a little, but I have absolutely no stamina and had to slow down about a quarter down the track.
Mike frowned. “No, mostly football and basketball.”
I blinked. Running I could understand. You never knew when you might need to run toward or away something. I kind of wanted to get better at that myself, aside from being lazy. Moving a piece of leather from one side of a room or field to the other and then doing it again repeatedly seemed completely useless to me at the time. Now that I’ve been exposed to it more I can sort of see the draw. There’s a lot of skill involved, even an artistry that you can respect if you get into it. But to me at the time the whole idea was mind numbingly stupid. “Why does everyone care so much?”
Bobby slapped me on the shoulder, “It’s fun, man. People around here don’t have much to do.”
“How come this is the first I’ve heard about it? Why don’t they have pep rallies all the time?”
Mike actually scowled. “They want people to go to the football games. It gets the school money.” Football. Not track or anything else.
“No pep rallies for chess, or math competitions either then?” Bobby, I knew competed in both of those. I did too, but he actually did well in them. By Bobby’s and Mike’s silence, I knew there weren’t. “So, basically this whole thing amounts to a giant advertisement for stuff none of us care about?”
“Yeah. Pretty much,” Mike said.
“I’m not going.”
“You gotta go,” Bobby said. “It’s required.”
As it turned out, I didn’t have to go. When the time came every one was led out of the classrooms and when I stayed in my seat defiantly reading a Terry Pratchett novel the teacher said that if I didn’t want to go to the pep rally I could go to the library. Only the way she said LIBRARY it was like it was the most loathsome thing in the world. I loved the library. Despite it not being very good I could spend hours there reading whatever caught my attention. But the teacher was saying it like it would be some kind of punishment. Like being sent to your room. You’re all like, “fine that’s cool with me. I’ve got my TV, books, and computer over there. In fact I was planning on going there anyway.” Only it isn’t cool. Somehow being forced to do it spoils it. The teacher was effectively being like the psychologist in A Clockwork Orange, trying to make me hate the thing I loved through aversion therapy. It’s really screwed up if you think of it. The teacher, at my SCHOOL, which was supposed to be all about learning, was threatening to send me to the LIBRARY if I didn’t attend some stupid advertisement campaign for a sports team.
You’d think this would be a major issue. But what do schools do with their funding? Buy a bunch of computers that no one is allowed to touch.
Long story short, I caved. I followed the rest of the children to the pep rally like the gullible little lamb I was. Maybe it wouldn’t be so bad, I rationalized, there must be something good about it if so many people want to go.
It’s a terrible exaggeration, but I can’t help but think that the feeling must have been very similar to what the kool-aid drinkers felt when they were getting on the plane to Jonestown. Of course I didn’t know about Jonestown until I saw a documentary on the internet about it a couple of years later. At the time my thoughts were more along the lines of “This is dumb. Why am I doing this?”
Luckily, Bobby and Mike were equally enslaved to the hive mind, and sitting with them I was able to enjoy myself by MST3King the whole event. For those that may be unaware of what that means, I basically mocked everyone involved, putting words in their mouth and making rude sound effects. Absolutely hilarious for me and my friends. For anyone actually interested in what’s going on, it’s maybe a bit annoying.
Maybe.
I was having great fun with the cheerleaders. “Look at my pom poms, not my breasts! Yaaaaay breasts! I mean pom poms! Watch me kick and show my panties! Yaaaaaaay PANTIES!” You can tell a number of things from this. First, I had (and have) an odd sense of humor. Second, I was perhaps not as sexually mature as other boys my age.

Still Bobby and Mike laughed, so I felt encouraged. This was a little dangerous. You know that kid who does something crazy and silly and someone else(usually female) rolls her eyes and says “Stop, you’ll only encourage him?” I’m that kid. I don’t need any psychotropic chemicals to set me off, just a few people who laugh at my jokes. Next thing I know, I’m doing weird dances, putting people down, mouthing off about politics and religion and generally being a dumbass. “That’s really freaky actually,” Bobby said, still smiling. “You really sound like a girl when you do that.”
Now this is another embarrassing fact. I was actually proud of this. I practiced doing all sorts of voices, starting with the Monty Python characters and going into Christopher Walken and Bill Clinton. I had whole scenes from The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy BBC television series memorized as well as several scenes from Mystery Men. A year or so previous I had encountered a sizable roadblock in my pursuit of the perfect recreation of the scenes. I couldn’t do female voices. But I worked at it whenever I was alone, recording myself with a tape recorder, altering things a little and then trying again, until I got it down. It took me awhile, my voice had changed and I couldn’t quite change it back so I had to sort of work around it. I found singing along with Alanis Morrisette or Sheryl Crow to be helpful, the way they would sort of sing, sort of just talk sometimes really gave me something to emulate. And then I had to stop when I accidently answered the phone in my Alanis voice and the person on the other line called me “Miss.”
That scared me and for a month or so I didn’t try to do any female voices. Except of course the skits with female parts in them kept coming into my head whenever I’d be alone in the bathroom and I’d have go to a Monty Python skit to avoid doing what I was thinking about. Even Monty Python gets a little old sometimes. I was beginning to think maybe I had a problem. But now suddenly my work was paying off. Someone actually said I sounded like a girl!
Yeah, I’m weird.

Maybe if I wasn’t already buzzed up with attention I would have kept going, maybe I would have remembered that sounding like a girl is only a good thing if no one knows you can do it. Instead I kept going. “Oh, Bobby, you’re so sexy, you just bring it out in me.”
“Stop it, man, you’re freaking me out,” but Bobby was laughing, so I kept going.
“Do you like this outfit?” I said straightening my back and using my hands to indicate my jeans and sweatshirt. “I chose it especially for you. Touch it, Bobby! I want your hands all over me!” And suddenly I was at that uncomfortable moment where you realize you’ve taken a joke too far.
But then a voice from behind me shouted, “Shut up, bitch. Flirt with your boyfriend later.”
It was a black girl, wearing short shorts and a tank top. She was pretty, but darker than even most other folks of African descent. Which I guess is a bit unhelpful since everyone is of African descent, but yeah she was like an inverse albino. And she was being rather rude.
I couldn’t stop myself. “Oh I’m not a bitch, honey.” I said in my black woman impersonation, “I’m a lesbian trapped in a man’s body.”
Understand that from my perspective, not being aware of transsexuals and the subtle distinctions between them and homosexuals and transvestites, I thought I was essentially saying that I was a heterosexual man, only making it sound like I wasn’t. I found this funny, but there were only a few other people who seemed to get it. Most people assumed I was saying that I was gay, and I had to explain to them how funny I was being. Realizing the potential for further confusion, I shifted to my deep gravelly-voiced Texan impersonation and said. “Come over here an’ I’ll letcha see mah trouser snake.”
“I’ll come over there, all right,” the girl said getting up. She looked very tall from my seated position on the bleacher in front of her. I was just thinking that maybe I should get up myself when she grasped my shirt with both hands, picked me up and threw me down the bleachers. This had the over all effect of calling a great deal of attention toward me and the girl, and also causing me a great deal of pain. It felt worse that it was; I just sprained my wrist, cushioned as I was by the heads of my fellow students. Thankfully none of them suffered any neck injuries. And I managed not to cry, which would have been really bad PR, especially following the whole, “beaten by a girl” stigma. Personally I didn’t see what the difference was between being beaten up by a girl or a boy, but I knew getting beaten up by a girl was supposed to be worse. Odd, because you also weren’t supposed to hit girls, giving girls the overall advantage in a fight. But I didn’t make the rules.
The administration of the school, in a nod toward fairness, gave Shaquonda LaRue, my assailant, detention, while I only got a demerit. It didn’t seem that fair to Shaquonda though. I can sort of see where she was coming from thinking back on it. Something like “I get detention while that stuck up white faggot is let off with a demerit? He was being racist too, and making fun of the pep rally.”
Shaquonda, as I later learned, was a member of the women’s basketball team, which more or less put her in the pro pep rally camp.
I had to withstand a great deal of ridicule when I returned to the public sphere after my brief time in the principal’s office. My father, being a big fan of the Evil Dead movies, and having Jurisdiction over the male baby names, christened me Bruce Ashley Patterson. I usually went by “Ash” because that’s what my Dad called me. Mom had the unfortunate tendency to call me Ashley, but I didn’t realize this was odd until a helpful peer informed me that Ashley was supposed to be a girl’s name. Well actually it was more like a sneering, belligerent peer. I didn’t really care for Bruce though. Sounded like somebody who would like football or weight-lifting. Don’t know where I got that impression, what with all the great Bruces out there, Bruce Banner, Bruce Wayne, and my namesake Bruce Campbell, but that was kind of in my head and as I may have mentioned I was a stuck up prick.
It really didn’t come up very often usually. I wasn’t a paragon of masculinity, but I didn’t usually look like a girl either and people just get used to it being a guy’s name. The starting quarterback for the football team was named Leslie afterall.
Oh did it come back to me now though. My two compatriots weren’t the only ones who saw my performance, and getting beaten up by a girl calls ones masculinity into serious question. In between period some guys, probably closet homosexuals, were calling me Ashley and asking me out on dates in exaggerated tones, then snickering to each other like crows at a slaughter. Well I guess crows don’t snicker. I was kind of thinking of the movie Dumbo with that one I think.
Moving on.
Patience is not one of my virtues. The third time this propositioning happened, something in me broke. I just gave up trying to be stoic about the whole thing. I used a girl voice that had a lot of Alanis in it, only snootier and said, “I’d never date a jerk like you.”
This scared the crap out of them. They skittered away like scarab beetles from an open sarcophagus. It was great. I had a new way to torture stupid people. Of course I knew on some level it would bite me in the ass later, but I didn’t care just then.
Spanish class was my favorite class that semester. It gave me an excuse to use a foreign accent in public. We were doing my favorite thing that day, reading exercises. There would be a story in Spanish and everyone in class would take turns reading paragraphs. My paragraph had, joy of joys, a piece of dialogue from the “heroine” of the story, Carmen, who was trying to find her hat, only she couldn’t remember where it was.
[Entonces, Carmen tiene una idea: _ ¡tal vez mi sombrero es en la biblioteca!_
_ ¿En la biblioteca?_ Raul le pide, _ ¿Está¡s segura?_
_Creo que si,_ repueste Carmen, _ ¡voy a buscar por mi sombrero en la biblioteca!_]
I went all telenovela on their asses. Raul was a real smoky Antonio Banderas, and Carmen was a saucy latina. Several people laughed at my portrayal. If I could have, I would have read the whole thing. Spanish was one of the few things I could consistently get A’s in.
And so I went home in an inordinately good mood, while in detention Shaquonda steamed on medium heat in a broth of bad news.

up
80 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Very Intesting

In my highschool, we often had pep rallyies at the end of the day, that way, many students coould head home early.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

That would make sense. For

That would make sense. For some reason whenever my school did a pep rally it was always in the middle of the day. Maybe they wanted more students there or something. Course that was in Tennessee, I'm just guessing that's how it would be in Louisiana. Then again Imaginaire doesn't exist; so I guess I'm covered :-P

Thanks for the comment!

Surprise!

I didn't even realize my computer could do cyrillic characters! Too bad I flunked Russian and never learned a darned thing.

By the way, you can get quick and (exceptionally) dirty translations of sentences via the infamous BabelFish online translator.

They've even added a few non-roman-alphabet languages, like Russian, although in keeping with the standards they've set with other languages, the results usually suck.

For a laugh, translate something into a language from English and then translate the result back into English. It's always great fun to see what a dog's dinner babelfish.altavista.com can make out of translating something. (e.g. "I'd like to go to the library," translated into Spanish and back to English, becomes, "I' d has taste to go to the library.")

Oooh! I see it was assimilated by yahoo.com. Not to worry, though. It works just as "good" as it did before.

Babel Fish

Yeah I have a love hate relationship with babel fish. On one hand its easy and its named after something from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and as long as you keep it to a few words it isn't too bad.

On the other, it only gives you only one choice for the translation and it degenerates into, well, babble, the moment you try to put in a full sentence.

Google translator is a little better with making sense of the longer sentences, but it's crowd sourced, and you can't find out what each individual word means all the time.

Non-standard characters are really frustrating. I've tried a couple times to translate the later chapters of the webcomic "Oh Nein! Ich Bin Ein Madchen!" (in English Oh no! I'm a girl! Though the first chapter is translated in english as "She is me") using babel fish with limited success. It's in German, which is less torture than trying to deal with Cyrillic but there's still enough umlauts and accent marks to make it a bit overly time consuming; I can't just copypaste the words because it's part of the image.

I just want to know what's up with the stuffed porpoise, dang it!

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion Pippa!

Trans Laters

... are of course people who are trans in their innermost beings but
when given opportunities to express this aspect of themselves, just mutter "later, perhaps..."

Babel Fish were what you had to put in your ear, in "A Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

You probably have to put a little C in circle sign after it or face a penalty from the publishers, or the BBC, or something. The Author won't mind, as he is dead.

For Non Americans like me, what is a "Pep rally"?

Apart from that and the need for a translation for those of us that 'non habla Espanol', a promising plot unfolding here.

Briar

Briar

Trans laters. Cute!

Trans laters. Cute! Depressing, but cute. Like a stray kitten in a dumpster.

Well, if someone convinces me differently I'll put the copyright on there, but I'm pretty sure it falls under fair use right now. Later if I try to publish this somewhere it might be a different story. I'll probably edit the names out completely if I do that though, rather than put little circles after things, because I find such symbols distracting and ugly whenever I see them in a story. And I'm not sure if you have to do that for the titles of books anyway. There might be an issue with using actual singer's names. I didn't really think of that, and I probably should have. I'm a little loathe to change it, but the more I think about it, the more I think I will change it. It really amounts to laziness on my part.

I could probably also stand to put more description about the pep rally into the story. Basically a pep rally is a series of announcements, shows, and skits that are shown to students to get them excited about a particularly important game. The cheerleaders do a musical routine and a series of cheers, while the mascot, some poor soul dressed as an anthropomorphic animal, does something that is supposed to be humorous, but usually ends up being sad. For instance the mascot might try to do the same cheers as the cheerleaders, only it will be too clumsy and fall down a lot. Usually there is some pantomime of the opposing team getting humiliated in some way by the home team. I mean, I kind of have negative view of them. I guess I could say its a celebration of team spirit and of competition and the coming game. I don't know what people do in other countries do for games, other than maybe get sloshed at the pub and have a fight afterward, so I don't know quite what to compare it to, but hopefully you get the idea:-)

I suppose I could also add translations at the end of the chapter. It kind of takes the fun out of it for me though. It's like writing a secret message. I suppose it isn't asking too much to put the translation in somewhere. I might work something out with hyperlinks so the curious can know without losing their place in the story.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Pep rallies

I thank the stars they didn't do anything like that when I was at school in the UK.

If someone had tried to pull something like that, there would have been a crowd of us scouring the school looking for sharp edges to end ourselves with.

Mind you, we managed our own weird and wonderful dumb things to do...

Penny

Please don't

Please don't use © and ™ and other nonsense. It jolts me out of the story when I see them in running text. And I like the secret messages to be secret :-) so no translations either, please. I love languages and used to work with them and it's fun to try to puzzle things out in languages you know less well.

My puter, like most modern puters, has no problem with any one of the world's alphabets, either for output or input:   カラオけ (of course, knowing how to write the characters doesn't necessarily mean you know what you are writing :-) )

Occasional exotic words and letters keep reminding us that the world is bigger and more diverse than anyone really can fathom, and there is value in the perspective and joy to be found in the diversity.

If we don't get the exposure, we'll never know how much fun there is out there to discover.

- Moni

I won't

I'd only use those symbols as a gag. And I'm still waffling on the pop culture references. Now I'm thinking they're okay, but I still see the other side of the argument.

Thanks for the vote of confidence on the Spanish.

I have a problem with the output. Maybe I don't have the same programs you do but the only easy way for me to put "Karaoke" in katakana like you have would be to copypaste it. I used to have a free japanese word processor that would print out Japanese characters from romaji imputs, but I've lost it. Most times it never comes up, but then I'll want to search for a manga or something on Amazon.co.jp and I rue its loss.

forget symbols - a trademark and copyright diversion

rebecca.a's picture

you don't ever need to use trademark symbols, or copyright symbols, unless the owner of the trademark or copyright work forces you to in a contract.

until 1976, copyright and patent law in the united states was a different beast to our european counterparts. when the government passed the copyright act of 1976 there were a lot of changes, like things like copyright automatic upon creation and coincidentally a big extension in the duration of copyright that naturally favored companies like disney. in 1988 the usa finally learned to play nice with the rest of the world and introduced the berne convention implementation act (which actually helped u.s. publishers more than foreign ones), that didn't actually implement the berne convention as law in the us, but did make u.s. law comply more closely with the provisions of the berne treaty, and in 1994 there was the uruguay round agreements act, which gave foreign copyright owners more-or-less proper rights in the usa for the first time.

after that, at the urging of disney et al, the whole thing turned to crap with the sonny bono act and worse since.

along the way there have been similar incremental changes to patent and trademark laws, with the result that a lot of people are really unsure about what the law actually is now. lots of people i've met still think the arcane registration rules they grew up with are still in force, or that if you don't use a © symbol the work is somehow unprotected.

anyway, back to trademarks: what it all means is that if you yourself own a trademark it's always in your interest to ensure you use the little TM symbol after the trademark, to show that it is, in fact, a protected term. but if you don't, you haven't surrendered your rights. nevertheless a lot of big corporations take care to show terms are registered, and they make sure their marketing partners do too.

but a brand like, say, accenture is a registered trademark. you'll still see it everywhere without the "TM", because failure to use the TM does not in any way change the status of the trademark or accenture's protection of the name.

where trademarks come undone is when they come into use as, for example, verbs. iirc from my teenage years people in the u.k. talked about 'hoovering' rather than vacuuming the house (do they 'dyson' these days?). lots of us talk about 'googling' these days, which i'm sure gives some of the ip lawyers at google a headache.

anyway, you theoretically have to seek approval to include things like song lyrics in a novel. it doesn't mean you need to put a © after the lyrics, but your publisher will put something like "two lines from the song 'walk on the wild side' by lou reed' are used with permission".

in terms of copyright, you no longer have to register your work for it to be protected. nor do you have to use a © symbol. works are automatically protected at the moment of creation. all you have to do is prove you created something at a given moment to prove ownership of it. in fact you have to do something deliberate, like write "this story was created by me. I hereby give it away to anyone who wants it for any purpose whatsoever for as long as you like" in order to dilute your rights.

one little legal side effect of this is that you can't - even if you try - place your work in the public domain. all you can do is license your rights to it. legally, however, the copyright is still yours - it's just that you've provided an open-ended irrevocable license to everyone, so effectively the work is free. your work won't actually become public domain until at least 70 years after you die.

the only true public domain works in the usa are those whose copyright has expired (because they've been around for a while) or those created by federal government employees as part of their work for the federal government (in a loophole, work created by government contractors remains copyright to the contractors, or to the government if the copyright is worded that way, but is not public domain). in the uk they have something called crown copyright, which covers works created by the government, and there's a lot less that's in the public domain.

there's an awesome resource to work out what is and isn't public domain here: http://copyright.cornell.edu/resources/publicdomain.cfm

anyway, please excuse the long diversion - you probably know all this stuff. i'm busy commenting instead of writing, probably because i'm blocked on a story.


not as think as i smart i am

Thanks!

Thanks for clearing that up!

When online translators first appeared...

erin's picture

...I experimented with them and got some fun results. "Don't spare the horses," translated to French and back to English came out, "Don't backup the horses." :)

The classic was the original Russian automatic translator that round-tripped the saying, "Out of sight, out of mind," as "Invisible idiot." :)

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

translation

I've always enjoyed stories with little puzzles to solve, so I kind of intentionally didn't translate the spanish so that people who knew the language or who wanted to run it through alta vista or google translator could feel clever.

But inquisitive people deserve to feel clever too, so here's the translation:

[Then, Carmen has an idea: "Maybe my hat is in the library!"

"In the library?" Raul asks her, "Are you sure?"

"I think so," responds Carmen. "I'm going to look for my hat in the library!"]

What Carmen doesn't know is that Juanita has taken her hat, and is now using it to seduce Hernando, Raul's boss, so that she can kill him, making it look like an accident and allowing her to inherit Hernando's millions instead of Carmen, who is Hernando's love child.:-)

Thanks for the comment!

Spanish soap-opera

And I thought my plots were complicated...

Penny

Spanish soap-opera

And I thought my plots were complicated...

Penny

Spanish soap-opera

And I thought my plots were complicated...

Penny

Three Pennies

Three pennies for your thoughts?

Nice beginning.

And it is going to be a looong schoolyear for Bruce Ashley Patterson.
Early in the story I thought he hit rock bottom. Then he took out a DRILL and started digging.

Faraway

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Thanks!

Yeah. Ash is doomed. DOOMED!

::snickers maniacally::

Silly and fun

An interesting and entertaining story, and I'm looking forward to more.

Spanish

A fun story.

One small thing; you said, "Spanish was one of the few things I could consistently get A’s in."

Not with that Spanish, you wouldn't. :D

If you or any other author here would like some help with small amounts of Spanish, send what you want translated to me in English in a PM. I speak it everyday and my partner is a native speaker, we'd be glad to iron out the bugs for you.

Sheri (the artist formerly known as grlygrl :p )

pues...

Todo el Espanol es desde mi memoria, y por eso va a estar errores. Y no he tomado una clase en mucho tiempo. Y no soy fluente. Si quieres correctar algo de los errores, yo estaria feliz, y te daria credito por unas cambias, pero estoy solamente haciendo eso para disfrutarla, y por eso no voy a preocuparme mucho sobre estar completamente correcto.

Hopefully that made sense. I'm also trying to get a little practice in, so I welcome any corrections. I just can't write if I worry too much about editing while I'm writing. This is not a finished manuscript or anything.

I'm a bit curious as to what I got wrong. I mean things would normally be in past tense, but it's a first or second year spanish course and so the preterit tense would be a bit beyond the students. Maybe por versus para? I always had a problem with that.

Thanks!

Pues, sí.

erin's picture

I can understand your Spanish, but I'm not fluent either. I got good grades in Spanish class forty-five years ago but that's because I'm good at taking tests. :)

I can do almost as well with any Romance language plus Vietnamese and puzzle my way through half a dozen more with a good online dictionary. This is something I do for fun. :)

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

OK

I'm not trying to be picky, I really don't want to be like that or even seem to be. I had just thought that with all the time and thought an author puts into choosing just the right words for their stories, they would want the Spanish parts to be of equal quality. If an author is happy with their Spanish and everyone else is fine with it, then that's fine with me too. I never intended to come across as putting-down or being nit-picky. Sorry. :)

Sheri

Picky?

It's not picky. If you see something wrong it can take you out of a story. Believe me I want to know about that.

As far as time and thought being put into every word...well that's one school of thought. Some authors do agonize over every word, and I have tried that once or twice, but that doesn't really work for me. The other school is the No Plot? No Problem/ Nanowrimo idea that you should just blast out everything you can as quickly as you can and worry about getting things perfect later. I'm not entirely in that camp, I can't really help editing a bit as I go, but I do tend more toward that mindset.

The Golden Age of Nerd Humor

laika's picture

Hilarious, very inventive and tightly written. Everything seems to fit, grave portent in seemingly toss-away details. Good golly Shingami, I can't wait for more. With Jesse Rabbit's stuff, Jamie H.'s wacky SUSIE & JEFFERY, and now this'n, this is truly the golden age of nerd humor here at BCTS...

~NEE! NEE! NEE! Laika