Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 712.

Printer-friendly version
Wuthering Dormice
(aka Bike)
Part 712
by Angharad
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

“So how did you get on with the dormice?” I asked the girls on the way home.

“They were all asleep, so we didn’t see any.”

“Didn’t Neal or Gloria get some out for you to see?”

“No, but we did see all the babies.” Livvie was quite excited, it was her first dormouse.

“How many did they have?”

“Ten, Mummy, they were all fast asleep in a special nest box with a glass top.” I knew it well–I’d designed it. “They are so cuddly, Mummy, can we have some?”

“They’re not pets, Livvie, they’re wild animals. I mean you can’t have pet foxes or badgers,” I sighed: they’d be wanting one of those next.

“Ooh, yes please,” gasped the two elder children.

“I don’t think your mummy meant it quite like that,” Stella said, seeing where it was going.

“I could take you out to a farm on the downs where we might see badgers and foxes. Come to think of it, that might not be a bad idea. The only problem is it can get a bit late as they don’t come out until dusk.”

“I’ll be alright,” said Trish, Livvie agreed and Meems, who looked a bit puzzled, said she’d like to see them too, but couldn’t we get them to come and see us?

I explained about wild animals and that we weren’t guaranteed to see anything. I also explained they’d have to sit or stand very quietly or they would scare them away. Meems seemed to think that to have anything frightened of her was funny.

Puddin’ woke up in the car and was sick; thankfully Stella caught most of it, but I had to pull over for her to do running repairs and wipe her hands. The two girls got out of the car and just by chance in a field not more than a hundred yards away I saw a deer. Nobody else had seen it and the breeze was blowing away from it towards us, so it hadn’t heard us either.

“Keep quiet,” I hissed, “there’s a deer over in that field.”

“Where, where? Lemme see, I can’t see it.”

“No, because you didn’t do what I told you to do, and that was to keep quiet. Your squealing frightened it off.”

“That was her,” said two children pointing at each other.

“It was both of you, and I’m sorry but until you learn to be quiet, the only wildlife you’ll be seeing is flowers or trees.”

“’Snot fair,” they both grumbled. I felt like strangling them.

“Okay, if you can both be completely quiet until we get home, then I might reconsider. Do you think you can manage to do that?” They both nodded and pretended to zip up their mouths.

It was about fifteen minutes before we got home, driving past the spy school and the golf course. The spy school is where they train the next generation of James Bonds, and which no one knows about – officially, it’s a just a government training place, but we all know who and what they’re training. David Shayler the renegade MI6 agent who was arrested in France and then brought back here after he tried to publish a book, spilled the beans. Sadly, he’s now living in a squat and calling himself Delores, a reincarnation of Jesus or something. Looks like either the interrogation techniques or the stress of it all has had an affect upon him.

Neither of the girls – the school variety – had said anything. I even tried to tempt them. “Shall we stop for an ice cream, girls?” They nodded but said not a word. We didn’t, driving home instead, where they both sighed and chattered nineteen to the dozen. I could see where they got the idea of a chimps tea party now.

It went quiet while they were eating their ice creams, even Puddin’ had a taste of that. While they were eating, I found the number for Badger Hill Farm, and rang them. They were doing the badger watch, but it didn’t start until eight and they didn’t recommend it for under eight year olds, it being too late. I did promise to control them – the kids not the badgers – but they were adamant. I went back to break the bad news.

They weren’t too pleased, but accepted that I wasn’t trying to deceive them. They played for the rest of the afternoon while I prepared the dinner, some fresh salmon. I’d got us some steaks and was baking them when Tom arrived.

I kissed him on the cheek, “Thanks for lunch, Daddy, it was very kind of you.”

“Ach, it was nothin’ an’ the wains were sae guid.”

“They were good coming home, I promised to see if I could take them badger watching if they stayed quiet in the car. They did, but the farm I was going to take them to has an age limit, and they’re too young.”

“Whit? We’ve got badgers in the field beyond the garages.”

“What? I’ve never seen them.”

“Aye, well that’s pretty obvious: some field biologist you are.”

“I’ve never been in that field, it’s fenced off.”

“Aye, tae keep yon dug oot o’ it; she’ll roll in their droppin’s gi’n the chance. So she will.”

I laughed, badger poo is very smelly. Not to put too fine a point on it, it absolutely stinks, and is magnetic to dogs, who seem unable to prevent themselves rolling in it. Afterwards, it seems they need steam cleaning to get rid of the aroma. No wonder it was fenced off, to keep Kiki out of the badger latrines. Yes, latrines, they have special areas where they do their biz. They’re relatively clean animals, changing their bedding, and even airing it after it’s been underground in the sett for a while.

Badger setts can be quite large excavations, with several exits and entrances, and the colony can also be quite numerous. They’re protected animals although some farmers have killed them because they’re accused of being vector animals in bovine tubercular disease. However, culling hasn’t worked as it only encourages animals from outside the cleared area to migrate and spread any disease even more. There is also some argument about whether or not the badgers are as guilty as farmers think, or whether much of it is down to poor animal husbandry. I’d hate to see a big cull, I think it would be a huge mistake.

Tom disappeared as I was sorting dinner. He reappeared some fifteen minutes later, covered in dust and almost needing a shower before he could come to the table.

“Where have you been, Daddy? I’ve been ready to dish up for ages.”

“In the garage.”

“In the garage, what for?”

“I’ve been upstairs.”

“I didn’t know there was an upstairs.”

“Observant aren’t ye?”

“Wash your hands and sit down, I’m putting it on the table. Girls, dinner’s ready.”

Over dinner he explained that the garages had originally been small barns, and that they had storage areas up above the areas where cars had lately been kept or in one, my bikes and accessories. The upstairs was reached by a loft-style ladder, and there was a window through which one could see the field. We’d need some seats, but it wouldn’t take long to organise.

After dinner, I made the girls help me clear the table while Tom took some folding chairs up to the loft for them to sit on. After loading the dishwasher, we all trooped over and up the ladder. I reminded the girls that we’d all have to stay very quiet or the badgers wouldn’t come out.

Somehow, they stayed quiet enough for the best part of an hour – then we caught sight of movement and we were able to look down on three or four badger cubs, who played and squealed together for about fifteen minutes before their mother called them away with her.

For those who’ve never seen badger cubs play, it’s very boisterous. The noises they make are like giant guinea pigs, so if you could imagine bowling balls that ‘oink’, that’s about the size of it. They charge into each other like dodgem cars, squealing and tumbling. Because it’s done with such abandon, like kittens, it is very funny to watch. The two elder girls were covering their mouths to mute their laughter, and Meems was shaking with laughter on my lap as we followed the cavortings of our unwitting entertainment.

Once the badger family had moved off to dig for worms or whatever, we took the girls back to the house for bed. “Thank you, Daddy, that was brilliant,” I said giving him a peck on the cheek.

“Yes, thank you Gramps,” echoed the two schoolgirls. Meems was now asleep in my arms and getting heavier by the minute. Maybe it did me good to be reminded that I wasn’t the only authority on mammals in the house, and that local knowledge is very useful if not essential for most things.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

'Vote or comment, or the dormeeces get it,' signed, Bonzi.

up
163 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

A nice little break from the

A nice little break from the blue light special...err special blue light? ;) Keep up the good work Angharad!

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Badgers and Humans…

…do not mix very often; however, sometimes a trust can be built up between these shy nocturnal mammals and ourselves. As if to prove that very point, last week the BBC Wales News website showed a picture of a 68-year-old man from Newtown, Powys, who has befriended a family of badgers by visiting their sett three times a week for the past 30 years. Inevitably, he has become known locally as The Badgerman.

Here is the pic:

Badgerman-1.jpg

I hope that will satisfy you, oh Great Bonzi.

Gabi.

“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Enjoyed the chapter

and especially that last thought, "Maybe it did me good to be reminded that I wasn’t the only authority on mammals in the house, and that local knowledge is very useful if not essential for most things." a little humility is a good thing and when you want to know what's out in a farmer's field, best first step just might be to ask.

OK, Bonzii, I Did BOTH!

One more threat and no more pictutes of SPIKE! :)

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Quite Nice.....

Grandpa to the rescue. :-)

I'm a bit surprised Cathy didn't try to "pull" her field biologist credentials on the farmer... Might actually have gotten somewhere. LOL But, then again, maybe not. :-)

I've seen talkative kids keep quiet that long - when the motivation's big enough, but not very often. Mean Cathy, trying to TRICK them into talking.

Thanks,
Annette

Badgers

Auntie,

Several species of badger are distributed, world wide. The North American Badger (http://www.americazoo.com/goto/index/mammals/283.htm) is quite ferocious. Being members of the Weasel Family, that should not be a surprise.

Badgers is the nickname for the sports teams of the University of Wisconsin. Now, where is John? ;-) BTW, the nickname used by the University of Michigan is Wolverines, which are the biggest and baddest weasels of all (http://www.buzzle.com/articles/wolverine-animal-facts.html).

G/R

The Wolverine is a foul beast though Wolverine is kinda ...

hunky if you're into X-Men. But he's a guy, oh boy is he so how is he an EX-Man?

Ive been on the UW-Madison campus numerous times. I can't say if any athletes had used the same bathrooms I did but I didn't notice any unusual oders.

And my Joanie tells me Badger Boy is a hygenic young man and smells, well, like a super hero in training should.

The badger is a noble animal. Ever read The Wind in the Willows?

And remember skunks are now known by DNA evidence to not be members of the weasle family but their own distinct family, very disinct if you've driven down a road where one lost an argument with a fast moving vehicle.

John in Wauwatosa

P.S. A barn blind, Tom is a very clever man..

John in Wauwatosa

But do you know why Wisconsin is the Badger State?

Lead miners who moved to the area in the 1820s and 1830s lived in holes burrowed into hillsides, earning them the nickname "badgers." Eventually, the nickname was applied to all of the people of Wisconsin and, finally, to the state itself. The badger was adopted as Wisconsin's state animal in 1957.

1957 was a GREAT year in Wisconsin

Particuarly seven days before Christmass of that year.

Hint hint.

John in Wauwatosa, who will be 52 in mid December 2009.

John in Wauwatosa

"Maybe it did me good to be

"Maybe it did me good to be reminded that I wasn’t the only authority on mammals in the house, and that local knowledge is very useful if not essential for most things."

Aye, that's reet enou ! I am frequently humbled by locals wherever I go who know a darn site more than I do about the wee beesties i am supposed to be identifying, counting populations of, collecting specimens of, and all the rest of it.

Angharad, you are a Wonder ! To be able to keep this up, day after day... If this was the BBC Radio you would be rivalling "The Archers" !

Briar

Briar

Two days away

and i come back and find Bonzi making threats to the local dormeeces....Well we can't have that... What with me being a dormeece! lover....So i voted...Is that alright Bonzi?

Kirri

OK, Bonzi, I Voted

I always do, anyway. But comment? Do what you want to the dormices -- we don't have them over here (as far as I've ever heard) and won't miss them, at least until this story winds up.

I was walking my dog, a mixed breed shepherdy kind of thing, around 70 pounds, when she got attacked by a big yellow cat. Now, I would have thought that a cat, any cat*, would know that it couldn't win against a dog that size. That wasn't you, was it, Bonzi, by any chance? Or a close relative? I take it I'm not just up against you but it's your whole posse, eh?

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

* Felis domesticus, that is. Yes, we have lynx, bob cats and cougars that could take her no doubt.

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

Felis sylvestris

Angharad's picture

would make quite a mess of most bow-wows (Scottish Wildcat)ancestor of many European domestic moggies. Bonzi is a miniature panther - well he thinks he is.

There is a move to reintroduce the lynx to Britain, up in Scotland, and perhaps wolves. They're already experimenting with beaver. I wonder how long before the brown bear is considered - it's all a mistake, unless they're are kept on a reserve. Local farmers will shoot them, as they do escaped boars now.

In the C21st people want to see these wonderful creatures but they can't see the consequences of having them roaming wild. The same people complain that foxes raiding their dustbins are a nuisance.

Angharad

Angharad

Import coyotes

erin's picture

Poof!

No more red foxes! Problem solved. :)

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Lynxes ...

... were being bred in Derbyshire (Riber Castle, Matlock) until a few years ago and some had been used to reinforce the existing population in Sweden IIRC (Scandinavia, anyway). There's a lot of opposition to re-introduction of bears in the Pyrenees; I noticed at least one piece of graffito painted on a wall in the Tour coverage "Non aux urs" (No to the bears) and I've seen it several times in RL.

The last wild boar in England is said to have been killed in the Peak District at Wildboarclough.

Raptors have been successfully re-introduced in the UK against opposition from gamekeepers eg Red Kites and Ospreys.

Geoff

I sadly miss…

…my old cat, Melsy. He had interesting parentage, being conceived in Scotland; his mother was a farm cat and his father a real genuine Felis Sylvestris, or Scottish wild cat. When fully grown he weighed about 20 pounds (this was before we went metric) and used to enjoy arm-wrestling me and my mum. When we moved to England he proceeded to put the fear of God up all the local dogs, especially the postie's Irish Setter (who refused to pass our cottage if "his lordship" was on the prowl outside, and the neighbour farmer's German shepherd, whom he maimed so severely that, afterwards, the poor dog walked with a permanent limp.

As you might have gathered, Melsy (ridiculous name for so macho a cat) was kinda aggressive, except to people he knew, and he was always the perfect gentleman with them.

He did not have a long life, dying a bit prematurely at the age of 11 of cirrhosis of the liver. The vet who did the post mortem (autopsy) on him was somewhat surprised. We discovered some time later that he used to visit one of the village pubs where he had his own saucer from which he used to sup beer and then stagger home afterwards. We always thought that something was wrong with his legs, but after finding out about his cirrhosis, reckoned he was just pissed out of his tiny pussy brain.

Message to the Bonz: Keep off the beer.

Gabi.

“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Dormeeces in the US

I don't know if they run wild anywhere (though I wouldn't doubt it,) but they can be purchased as pets. I found that out when I googled on 'dormouse.'

I have to wonder why they can't be kept as pets in England. Breeding them and distributing them can only be a good thing. Some are sure to escape and reinforce the wild populations.

In any case, having a population of domestic dormice isn't going to hurt the wild ones -- as long as nobody acquires a pet by trapping a wild one/

Ray Drouillard

Hamsters

Hamsters also make good pets. They are quite the escape artists, I have seen them pull them selves up using one toe. Given I have trouble with two arms I am impressed.

My girls both loved their critters. My middle girl gave hers to a cousin who was enamored when she found out I would not allow a cat and a hamster in the same house. Cats are who they are, it is not evil, to them hamsters are food.

Cathy is not Isabel Dalhousie… but she could be!

Rhona McCloud's picture

With Cathy looking for opportunities to show the children animals in the wild I wondered why they didn't watch the fox in the back garden.
A small problem with that idea it finally occurred to me was that my fictional worlds had collided and the fox lived with Isabel Dalhousie in The Sunday Philosophy Club series by Alexander McCall Smith.

A sign maybe of the audience Angharad might attract if she published mainstream!

Rhona McCloud

No KMart today

Wait a minute, BAKE the steaks. Jeeze , if you Brits don't boil it, then bake it. The Froggies were right.
Badgers? badgers? We don't need no............. oh yes we do, and there they are !

Cefin

Badgers

I'm learning a lot about nature - thank you Angharad.