It's You I Like - Part 2

Printer-friendly version
It's You I Like Part 2
It's You I Like
Part 2
by Andrea DiMaggio

 


 
 
Surprise!

"You sure about this?" Gina asked Betty. She wasn’t questioning her judgment. After being married to "two" people for almost two years, Gina was pretty sure nothing much could surprise her. But Betty did.

"Well, it’s more than just that." She and Gina had been talking about her engagement to Andy.

After a long courtship and a short engagement, the wedding was only weeks away, but a new wrinkle had been added. "And before you interrupt, it was my idea." You may remember that Gina had participated in an unusual wedding photo shoot.

Her best friend’s mother-in-law Marie had requested that all of her girlfriends attend a nice reception in her home for her daughter Maired, who looked positively gorgeous in the most exquisite strapless gown for her bridal photos. Except that Maired was her son Mark, the surviving twin of his sister Maura, who had passed away in her teens. No one knew at the time, but Marie was in "final" stage of pancreatic cancer, and had wanted this time as a way of honoring her late daughter’s memory, and everyone was happy to participate, including Gina’s husband Ben, who attended the Bride as his alter-ego Katie. I know, it is rather confusing, but apparently all the women weren’t confused at all. The only "male" participant was the ringer bearer, Rocco, who also happened to be a frisky bull terrier.

Betty’s idea was that she and Andy were going to have two ceremonies; at least for the sake of their wedding photos.

Her sister Marta had agreed to be her matron-of-honor, and was in on the conspiracy, since she hadn’t quite shared this idea with Andy. Either way, she wanted Gina to "give the bride away," for the sake of the second wedding.

"I love him so much, and I know that it’s sorta crazy, but I think I understand about you and Katie. Unlike some women, Betty and Marta had experienced cross-dressing first hand with their brother Jackie, and were entirely comfortable with "Andrea." She felt that it would make everything special if they were to "share" the day with her, and it would even be more special if she had help from her friends.

____________________________________

 

"Of course you’re invited, Mrs. Giordano."

Andy was scratching Angelo’s ear after removing a piece of metal from the pad on his paw. He licked Andy’s face in appreciation before hopping off the table.

"I just knew Betty was special the day you talked to her on the phone. You were so nervous, and I could see something was "brewing." Mrs. Giordano grinned, and Angelo wagged his tail as Andy patted his back.

"She’s the most wonderful woman in the world," He said, but quickly added, "Next to you, of course." Mrs. Giordano was eighty-five, and didn’t look a day over seventy.

"I remember what it was like with my Angelo," She said; her Angelo being her husband of forty-six years until he passed. Her Airedale was named in honor of him, but even at eighty-five, she never confused the two.

"I pray that God blesses you even more than me and my husband, God rest his soul." Andy nodded in thanks and Angelo wagged his tail in approval.

____________________________________

 

"Andy, can you come here for a moment?" Betty called from the kitchen. They were fixing up her late aunt’s house, which had been rented to some nice tenants until recently. She worked it out with the rest of the family, and she and Andy were buying the home. Andy walked up the basement stairs and entered the kitchen. Betty was sitting at the kitchen table; two mugs of coffee sat in front of her.

"What do you think of this dress, sweetheart?" She pointed to a bridal magazine that was open on the table.

"I thought you already had your gown. Besides, isn’t it bad luck for the groom to see the wedding dress before the ceremony?" Andy looked puzzled, and his confusion grew as he saw what seemed to be an odd grin appear on his intended’s face.

"It is bad luck, I suppose, for the GROOM to see the dress." Andy was a fairly intelligent fellow. A degree in veterinary medicine. Well read and up on current events. But this was like where someone waves their hand over their head to visually represent someone "not getting it."

"I don’t follow you. Well actually, I’d follow you anywhere. I don’t understand." He said, stating the obvious.

"Honey….Sweetie…Darling." I’m sure you may know some folks that unintentionally use these three names in various permutations to indicate that they WANT something. That point wasn’t missed by Andy, who said,

"Okay, what do you want?" Betty’s grin grew more sheepish as she looked at the photo in the magazine and then back at Andy, as if eyeing him up and down.

"Oh," was all he could come up with at the moment.

____________________________________

 

"I’d be honored," the sweet blond said with a smile. She had gotten quite used to her lover’s "schemes," as some might call them. She had become very adept with her friend Erica at "Lucy and Ethel" conspiracies, and they were always clever, intriguing, challenging and downright fun.

"Well…." Gina hesitated before continuing. "You don’t mind hot pink?"

____________________________________

 

A few days later, the church was full of friends and family as Elizabeth Patricia Aberlin stood next to Gina at the Altar looking with absolute love at her soon-to-be husband, Andrew Michael DiMaggio. And while she didn’t look quite like Cate Blanchett, she was gorgeous. Her groom, however, looked just like a taller, Italian and much more handsome version of Elijah Wood.

"Who gives this woman in marriage?" The minister asked. A tall graying gentleman stood behind his daughter. She had requested that he wear his dress uniform, even though he was retired. He stepped closer to the altar with his daughter and said proudly,

"Her mother and I do."

____________________________________

 

About a week after the happy couple returned from their honeymoon, another wedding party assembled in the couple’s new home. The bride was resplendent in a gorgeous off-the-shoulder gown with full skirt. Her gloved hands held a single white rose. Her brunette hair was down around her shoulders, adorned with a simple white tiara. She was glowing, as all brides should on their wedding day. On her right, her sister wore a long satin gown in cobalt blue. To her sister’s right, her best friend wore the same gown, only in wine, which complemented her raven-colored hair. To the bride’s far left, a sweet blond haired girl stood, wearing an absolutely stunning hot pink gown in the same style as the other women. It was her second time as a bridesmaid, and she felt much more comfortable this time around. And to the bride’s immediate left stood another gorgeous woman with long auburn hair, which fell to her unadorned shoulders. Her own gown was a near- duplicate of the bride on her right, but her own gloved hands clutched a single red rose. Her best friend’s mother was behind the camera, assisted by a sweet, eighty-five year old lady. And sitting happily in front of the wedding party were a fairly large Airedale and a frisky bull-terrier, both of whom wore bow ties.

____________________________________

 

Crossroads

Betty sat at the vanity, brushing her long brunette hair. Andy lay on the bed, reading a magazine.

"Sweetheart would you..." Betty was about to ask Andy to come brush her hair, but she stopped, recalling the memory associated with that action. Andy's mother would sit in front of the TV, drunk or mostly drunk each night. She had used Andy as a surrogate for her husband, including in the bedroom, and she had her "daughter" brush her hair every night as they watched her programs before they would "retire" for the night.

"Would you mind getting me a cup of tea?" She quickly added.

"Not a problem, my love, but I really don’t mind brushing your beautiful hair." He said.

The tea was getting cold on the dresser as Betty and Andy talked.

"At least consider it honey," Betty said. She had reversed positions with her husband combing his hair, which was almost as long as hers. Being a veterinarian instead of a policeman or an accountant had many perks, not least of which was a very loose "dress" code, if you pardon the pun. The best part of his job, however, was meeting kind and caring people and helping them with their beloved pets. It was almost a passion with Andy, and Betty loved that part about him. But she appreciated much, much more about him. She looked at her spouse with as much love as one person can have for another and said again,

"Just think about it, okay?"

"No!" The word came effortlessly, even if it wasn't completely accompanied by conviction.

"Honey," she said, rubbing his shoulders. At another time, with someone else, her actions might have appeared manipulative, but her intent at the moment was guided purely by her love for him. Most would not have considered what she had suggested, much less proposed it. But Betty Aberlin DiMaggio wasn't most people. Married for just six months, she had concluded that her idea was not only good for Andy, but it was something she wanted as well. Andy wasn't so sure, but it wasn't because he didn't want it. He just didn't feel that anything he would actually want could be something he could have. She almost read his mind as she said,

"You married me, didn't you? Wasn't that a good idea?" She said this to encourage him. Andy really needed no prompting regarding his decision to marry Betty. He had the support of friends and he was entirely, madly in love with his new wife. Apart from that, however, he had absolutely no confidence in his own decision making processes. He still was dogged by the vestige of guilt left from the failure of his first marriage, and despite the miracle that stood before him in the form of his beautiful bride, he still worried that he couldn't deserve anything good...at least anything that he actually wanted.

She continued to rub his shoulders. She kissed his forehead, and he noticed she had tears in her eyes. She loved him so much, and she wanted the best for him. Actually she wanted the best for them, which was not at all selfish; it was what actually made sense to her and likely to him, if he could only get past his...past.

"Honey, think about this, if you can't think about anything else. You have punished yourself enough over the past. It's time to move on and think about us. She forgave you. It's time you forgave yourself."

____________________________________

 

She stood at the mirror, as many do; many of us, in fact. Her lover joined her and smiled in the mirror. She looked at herself, wishing her hair was longer after once again cutting it short to suit someone else; it really didn't matter, at least to the woman beside her. She was loved by the woman who loved her too much to care. And as we know, hair can grow back. Her lover nuzzled and kissed her neck, which sent chills down her spine. They were both dressed for bed, which would come soon enough. She liked that her own gown matched her lover's, save for the color. Her lover wore black, which made her look almost mysterious. She wore a pale blue, which made her feel innocent, even if for the moment. She felt anything but innocent, and it took a great deal of attention to her back and shoulders by the woman beside her to help her forget her anxiety.

"I love you with all my heart," her lover whispered softly in her ear, remembering to nibble a bit before returning her attention to her lover's shoulders. She felt weak as her lover scratched her back lightly with her long nails, and she almost felt ashamed at the emotions that seemingly threatened to overwhelm her until her lover said,

"No matter what you decide; I'm here for you, now and always, and I'm not going anywhere. The woman grabbed her by the hands and turned her around. She felt hands exploring her, enjoying her, and she gave into the passion of the moment.

____________________________________

 

"You know, you shouldn't have to pay me, Mrs. G." Andy said

"Nonsense! Angelo is receiving the best of care," she said as she patted her Airedale on the head. "You are a professional, doing a professional job. You deserve to be paid." She grinned and added, "Now, if you want to give me a senior’s discount, I don't think I'd argue." Mrs. Giordano was eighty-five, but as you might already know, she didn't look a day over seventy.

"Can I ask you a question?"

"Of course, Andy."

"Have you ever had to make a decision that would change your life?"

"Every day, Andy, every day." She laughed and smiled a grandmotherly smile.

"I'm...I..." The words stuck in his mouth, refusing to come out. He looked almost tired, which was probably right, since he had been wrestling with the decision for nearly a week. Betty supported him entirely, whatever his choice would eventually be, but he remained stuck until Mrs. G. helped him focus.

"Do you remember when you were little? Your mom would send you out first thing...." She left the rest unsaid. Andy's mom wouldn't "collect" him until almost dinner time. She was an alcoholic; her inebriation surpassed only by her husband, Andy's dad. At least Andy's dad only yelled at him and smacked him around once and a while. When Andy's mom wasn't abusing him, she neglected him. His only refuge for most of his childhood was the occasional milk, cookies or lunch with Mrs. G, who would have intervened if she had known to what degree Andy's hurt extended.

"You were doing a jigsaw puzzle with my Angelo (her late husband, not the dog. She never confused the two) and you were getting frustrated. Do you remember what he said?"

Tears filled Andy's eyes. Like some of us, perhaps all too many of us, in fact, Andy had a very difficult time remembering the good times in his childhood. They were there, of course, but the bad memories often overwhelmed or obscured the good ones. He needed help remembering, that's all.

"Just work on what you can; we'll find the right pieces in time, son." The word, "son," brought back a warmth that Andy had not felt in a long, long time. "Do you remember?"

"Yes," Andy said, wanting to, but not really completely apprehending the moment.

"Well, it's time...this is one of those times, and you about to find the right pieces."

"I don't understand."

"At the wedding," she was referring, not to the "first" wedding, which was absolutely wonderful, but to the "second, special" wedding attended only by a privileged few.

"You looked happier at that moment than at any other time since I've know you, and I've known you all your life. At that moment, with your friends surrounding you and your beautiful bride at your side, you finally looked at peace." You may recall that there were two brides at the second wedding, at the first bride's insistence.

"I know you are at a crossroads, sweetheart, and I absolutely trust that you and Betty will take the road that is just right for both of you."

"Andy turned away and covered his face and wept in shame. She stepped closer to him and put her hand on his shoulder, and kissed him with a grandmotherly kiss. But even now, he couldn't imagine that he could be happy. Mrs. Giordano, however, by her years of friendship and support, had earned the right, the responsibility and even the authority to say what she said next,

"Andrea...sweetie, It's okay!"

____________________________________

 

The doctor wore a nice wine-colored shirt-dress, covered by a white lab coat. Her auburn hair fell to just below her shoulders, and her makeup made her look more like a model than a veterinarian, which she was. She smiled at the woman and her dog. She had been working at the hospital for only about a month, but had already made the clientele believe that the practice was now in capable, if not entirely "new" hands. The sign on the wall behind the counter had recently been changed, now reading, "Second Chances Animal Hospital and Refuge."

"Let's just see how she's doing, shall we," the doctor said softly. She looked the dog over and did a cursory examination, already knowing what was "ailing" the Beagle.

"She's been lethargic, but she's still eating," the woman pointed to her dog. The doctor leaned forward, allowing the dog to wash her face with her tongue.

"Is there a male anywhere near her at home? The doctor asked with a grin.

"There's a Sheltie that lives across the street." No sooner than the words had left her mouth when she realized what she had just said. She looked at her dog, who looked back at her almost apologetically.

"Daisy...You didn't?!"

____________________________________

 

She arrived home at about seven-fifteen. She took off her lab coat and hung it by the front door. "Good," she said to herself, noting the Chinese take-out and Merlot sitting on the kitchen counter. Both of them would have had long days, so tonight was not an evening for cooking. She walked down the hallway and entered the bedroom. Her lover lay asleep on top of the covers; her Bible was open and soft music played in the background. She grabbed the comforter and covered the sleeping woman gently. Leaning over, she kissed her lover on the forehead, quickly followed by a nice kiss on the lips, evoking an almost 'purr' from the woman.

"I love you my dear sweet wife," she said, kissing her on the cheek before turning to leave the room. The woman in bed awoke and looked at her lover. She smiled sweetly, and drifted back into an well-earned nap, but not before saying,

"And I love you with all my heart, my sweet darling husband."

____________________________________

 

An Unexpected Visit

Andrea sat at her desk, writing down the information from the salesperson for the new anti-flea medicine. She would look up the product on her computer to check how well it was being received. The bell at the front counter rang, and Andrea said,

"Patti, would you mind getting the front?"

"Sorry, Dr. D, but Peggy Lee is dropping kittens big time."

"That's okay, sweetie, I'll get it." She got up from her desk, causing a very large tom tabby to jump from her lap.

She walked to the front, where she discovered a woman with her back facing away from the counter, handing the toddler in the baby seat a rattle. A medium size cat carrier sat on the floor next to the little boy.

"Good afternoon, how may I help you," she said sweetly, for that was what she was, sweet; even if she didn't feel that about herself. The woman turned around, and faced Andy eye to eye; they were the same height. At once both Andrea and the woman froze in recognition.

"Carrie?" Andrea said, and immediately she stepped back, somewhat out of surprise, but mostly out of shame.

"Andy?" The woman said softly, without the tone that Andrea was expecting. Carrie was his, rather her ex-wife.

"Yes...I'm sorry," she said, not knowing really what to say to the person whose heart was broken by her abuse. Yes, I did say she was sweet, but the person Carrie knew only a few years was completely different than the woman who faced her that afternoon. And I really don't just mean by how Andrea was dressed. You may recall that Andrea was married to Carrie as Andy, and that Carrie had left him because of his inability to control his temper. A victim of abuse himself; Andy didn't get any help for his problem until after it was really too late to save the marriage. These memories overloaded Andrea, and she backed away even further. She said,

"I'll get someone else to help you," and she turned, continuing, "Patti, would you mind coming here for a moment. I'll help out back there, please." Patti didn't hear Andrea since she was "knee deep" in kittens and Peggy Lee was already growling in her protective mama cat mode. It didn't matter, because Carrie surprised Andrea. She stepped forward and placed her hand gently on Andrea's arm and said,

"It's okay, Andy...really." Andrea couldn't handle it in spite of Carrie's efforts to reach out. She turned and walked away in an almost panic and retreated to her office, where she sat at her desk, buried her head in her hands, and wept harder than she had in recent memory.

____________________________________

 

A soft knock came at the office door, which was almost never closed. Anticipating Patti's request for help, she said softly,

"Come in."

The door opened, but instead of his college intern, Carrie stood in the doorway with her son in her arms. She looked at Andrea and smiled. Andrea wasn't prepared for what happened next, and who would have been?

"Andy, it's okay. Really.” She could have said it a million times and Andrea would still have been overwhelmed by the guilt and shame she felt, despite the fact that she was really a new person, and not just on the outside. Carrie stepped to the desk and put her hand on Andrea's shoulder.

"I'm sorry, I really should have asked first. What's your name?" Andrea looked at her in wonder, and the word stuck in her mouth. She would never have expected a visit by her ex-wife, and she absolutely would never have expected her to ask what her name was. She swallowed and said nervously,

"Andrea...Andrea Lena, after Nonny," she said, referring to her late grandmother.

"That's pretty. It...suits you." She smiled again, and Andrea was confused. Carrie added to the confusion by saying,

"It's good seeing you." Andrea looked at her, remembering their last conversation ended when Carrie abruptly hung up the phone. And then the memory of their last meeting came back swiftly and painfully.

____________________________________

 

"I can't do this anymore, Andy. I love you...I always will, but I can't take your yelling and your temper." She stood in the driveway, her suitcases already in the car. "I'm going over to Mom's...I need some time...don't call...don't come over."

His eyes pled for forgiveness, but his fists were balled up, and he was shaking. A chair from the front porch lay broken on the ground by the front steps.

"I thought we could work this out." He cried. He was truly, absolutely sincere, but it was the same as every other time, so why would she put herself through this anymore?

"I don't know. I just can't do this right now. You can call over at Mom's in a couple of weeks, if I don't call you first. I promise Mom won't change her number, but you have to give me time.”

"But...we were...I thought you wanted to have kids." Adding children into this already volatile mix would have solved no problems and probably added more stress and frustration to an already hopeless situation. She didn't mean to...she actually didn't mean to say it, but she was so hurt and scared and angry and sad, so she said.

"I don't want kids anymore...I don't want your kids, Andy!" There was really nothing to be said after that, and she got into the car and drove off. It was the last time Andy saw Carrie save for the court appearance to legally bury the marriage that had been dead for months. And she didn't talk with him on the phone unless it was to discuss final stuff like bills and such; Andy could count on one hand the times he talked with her.

____________________________________

 

"Andrea," Carrie said, thankfully interrupting the painful recollection. "Andrea, I didn't know you were still here. The ad in the yellow pages said "Second Chances" instead of Ardmore Veterinary Hospital." I really would never have come here if I'd known, but now that I'm here I'm glad I did."

Andrea dreaded Carrie's next words, expecting the worst. What happened next was extremely freeing for both women.

"Will you forgive me?" Andrea wondered why she would ask forgiveness for the visit until Carrie continued.

"I am so sorry I hurt you. I am so...so...sorry." Her eyes misted up, but she continued. "I want you to meet someone.

Joshua, this is your," she paused for a moment, but a smile came across her face despite her tears, and she said,

"Aunt Andrea." She looked at Andrea and the tears flowed even freer than before. "I was so cruel to you, and I knew just what set you off. I know you were responsible for your part, and I forgave you, but I went through the motions until my pastor reminded me that I really needed to forgive you as much for me as for you. And he reminded me that I needed to walk it out, even if I didn't feel it. "As if," he put it. "Say, 'I forgive" you,' even if you don't feel it, until you do.' But I need you to forgive me for my hate toward you. It didn't do me any good, and I know it hurt you; I can't begin to make it up to you, but I know Someone who can help us." Andrea would have at one time even in the recent past grown angry at the disappointment and hurt, but she had spent years with her own counselor, friends and folks in church learning to behave and feel and think better. She went to a physician, and she discovered that there was no shame in receiving help. So two women; both who saw each other as adversaries at one time, now looked at each other in the light of forgiveness and love.

She really didn't feel "worthy" enough to offer forgiveness to the one person in the world she had loved at one time more than any other, but she knew that it wasn't about her or even Carrie, but really about the One who offered forgiveness to them both.

"I am so sorry, Carrie. Thank you for loving me and forgiving me. I forgive you." Andrea had composed herself, and she thought she was through crying until Carrie stepped forward. With her left hand, she rubbed her arm and stepped in to kiss her on the cheek, which would have been enough to get anyone bawling. But while she was holding her arm, her son Joshua, who was wrapped by her right arm, leaned over and rubbed Andrea's cheek with his little hand, wiping away a single tear.

____________________________________

 

"Honey, sweetie? I'm home." Betty said as she walked in the front door. Traffic was pretty decent, so they both got home at a reasonable hour. Hearing no response, she walked into the kitchen where she found Andrea with her head resting on the table on her hands. She was crying, but not weeping hard. These tears were cleansing and a gift; Betty had seen enough of this working with the teens at the high school to recognize a breakthrough. She stepped next to Andrea and kissed her on the top of her head and stroked her hair once before stepping back.

"I'll order out and we can talk when you're ready.'

____________________________________

 

They lay on the couch, ready for bed. Betty wore a nice long pink satin robe over ivory satin PJ's. Betty usually was the one to put her head on Andrea's shoulder, but she held Andrea's head in her lap, stroking her long auburn hair. Andrea wore a nice waist-length bone colored robe over green satin shorts and top.

"I don't think I ever felt that...peaceful before. It was like nothing I've ever known." Betty knew how she felt. After years of self-doubt and self-hate, she received the grace to forgive herself. She went to the father of the baby she aborted. He was a married man who had actually wanted her to raise the child with his help. She had turned her back on him and on her own baby, so to speak, and suffered for years over the understandable but forgivable guilt. She asked for his forgiveness, expecting nothing, but he asked for her forgiveness instead, wanting her to know how badly he felt that she was placed in that situation because of his indifference and selfishness. They parted, not as friends per se, but as dear ones who would treasure the forgiveness they had received and given.

Andrea and Betty fell asleep on the couch, nestled in each other's arms like the two precious lovers they were. And the love they shared would bear them up over the next several days as things changed dramatically in one instant for Andrea.

____________________________________

 

The large blond haired man walked up to the counter and hit the bell, causing Daniel Tiger to look up, get up and walk around in a circle and sit down and fall asleep.

"I'm here to pick up my dog. My wife said he's ready. Rex." He almost spat as he said the dog's name. Patti came from the examination room and said that the doctor was just putting on his new flea collar and that she would be out in a moment.

"Dammit...she said he was ready," he said rudely, although few people can say the word "dammit" loudly and sound anything but rude. He wasn't finished. Andrea came from the back and placed the dog, a pit bull, on the counter. The man looked at the dog and appeared to be satisfied. But he looked up and saw Andrea standing there. Now we know that Andrea is a rather attractive woman, but some people can "read" even the most composed and together of us. The man looked at Andrea and said,'

"Sonafabitch! Get your hands off my dog you pervert!" He snatched the dog from Andrea's arms, causing the dog's collar to catch on her lab coat, ripping it. "Send me the bill. And don't expect me to come back, you damn sissy!"

She was anything but a sissy. She nonetheless felt the need to cry, but kept her composure until the man was out of the building. It didn't really help that Patti came quickly to her side and placed her hand on Andrea's back for comfort; we all know what will happen to most of us when we're trying hard not to cry, and it happened to Andrea, leaving Patti scurrying around the clinic looking for tissue.

____________________________________

 

"I'm so sorry for the way my husband treated you." The woman stood at the counter offering her hand to Andrea.

"I'm sorry, too, Mrs. Banfield. Rex nearly pulled out his stitches. Have you had him seen?" Andrea had given up on seeing the dog again, considering how his "master" treated her.

"He's okay. It's Tim I'm worried about." Andrea had no sympathy for Mrs. Banfield's husband until she shared the following.

"Tim's not like that, he really isn't. Oh, he's rude and loud, but I knew that when I married him. It's just...." She looked at Andrea and her eyes pled for forgiveness as she said. "Tim's little brother Billy killed himself last year. Billy was such a nice kid, but he never got any support from home when he transitioned." Andrea looked at her in surprise.

"She wanted her family to love her, but they didn't. And Tim feels guilty about it, since their last words were in anger, and he probably called her the same thing he called you. Please forgive him?"

Andrea wanted to be angry with Tim Banfield, but her conscience wouldn't let her. After the gift that Carrie had given her by forgiving her for years of abuse, who was she to remain angry over an insult; especially someone who was stuck with his own shame and guilt over the loss of a brother. Tears came to her eyes as she appreciated the enormity of the gift her ex-wife had given her, and she looked at Mrs. Banfield, whose eyes were at least as teary as her own. She took a deep breath, not for courage, since she had already received that, but to say what she needed to say without interruption.

"I am so sorry I was angry. My God, he must feel so sad and scared. Betty and I will be praying for healing for your family, and tell him how sorry I am. Please let him know I forgive him." She looked at Mrs. Banfield, whose face went from a contorted pain to a blissful peace in seconds. She smiled at Andrea and shook her hand once again. She wanted to reply but the words got stuck, so she just nodded and smiled, blinking out her remaining tears.

____________________________________

 

It would be nice to report that everything came together like a movie or a play, but things actually got worse, if only for a little while. Tim Banfield never accepted Andrea's forgiveness, and by the end of the month, the clinic's business was down nearly fifty percent after Banfield spread his venom around the neighborhood. It really was to his own detriment, however, since he never really resolved his own guilt regarding his brother, at least for a few more years, and his ulcer likely arose from the bitterness and anger he still held for his brother and himself. You may have heard this quote from Malachy McCourt. He says something like, "Resentment is like me drinking poison and expecting the other guy to keel over."

Andrea and Betty decided to deal with the loss of business the only way they knew how. Each customer was the recipient of a nice hand-written note thanking them for their continued support and offering them a discount for the next visit by puppy or kitty or bunny, et al. It might seem to be a good business tactic, and it probably was, but they actually were grateful for the friendship and support of their remaining customers over the continued business. And it didn't hurt that Mrs. Schwartz forgot to bring Daisy in after her last litter; the Sheltie across the street was madly in love with the girl.

____________________________________

 

Andrea looked at the Kelly green full skirted dress that hung in her closet. She pulled it off the hanger and tossed it on the bed just as Betty entered the bedroom. After what happened the previous week she feared the worst. She’d seen cut hair and discarded clothing enough over the last year to be worried. Looking Andrea straight in the eye; she said,

"You're not intending to get rid of this," she said, pointing to the dress on the bed. "Tell me, Andrea Lena DiMaggio."

"I am," she said softly. Betty looked at her almost dreading the next words until Andrea continued,

"Mrs. G. said how much she liked it, and since we're about the same size, I figured she’d enjoy it." Andrea tried to suppress a giggle. "Besides, I got two lovely floral print shirt-dresses half off at Macy's. Which do you want, blue or coral?



To be continued...

...and Tim Banfield's story continues in "Providence Part Three"

up
55 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

This is such a nice story!

I am enjoying this story very much. It continues to bring tears as it tugs on my heart! Andrea seems to have turned herself around and has gained her self-confidence. I don't want to second guess Ms. D, but I expect a happy ending with balloons, noise-makers, fireworks and a brass band!
Love,
Diane

It Was Great That Carrie Finally Forgave

jengrl's picture

It was great that Carrie finally forgave Andy/Andrea for what happened in the past. It seems that Banfield has some serious issues to address. Using his guilt to punish Andrea because he wasn't there for his own sister is wrong. Hopefully, he gets to the same point Carrie did in asking Andrea to forgive him and forgiving himself.

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

Some People Can't Forgive

They waste away in bitterness as their bitterness kills them.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

So sweet and so sad...

Ole Ulfson's picture

Just like life! Hurt and forgiveness, pain and healing all intertwined in a great dance of renewal. I pray that I and all of us here will be able to find the power to forgive ourselves that Andrea has found.

Ole

We are each exactly as God made us. God does not make mistakes!

Gender rights are the new civil rights!