It's You I Like - Part 4

Printer-friendly version
It’s You I Like
Revelation

Waiting for the Spirit of Truth to tell
Power on Earth to stand in the way of hell
Waiting for the sky to clear
Waiting for the sun to appear

Sometimes we go through pain and suffering, and it isn’t vindictive on the part of God. We just go through it because that’s how life is for everyone. Our "sky," our understanding is clouded with the shadow of doubt and self-recrimination. But the trial; the test, as it were, is for our benefit to see the light of His love break through to prove our faith; to ourselves mostly, since He already knows how we’re going to do.

“How’s she doing?” Gina asked. Betty was in the office for a few hours to touch base. She explained that Carrie and Jim’s funeral had taken its toll on Andrea. As much as she had been reassured about her forgiveness and the love that Carrie had re-offered, to coin a phrase, she was still overwhelmed with the “what ifs” of the situation. She had spent another lifetime as an abusive husband to Carrie, but both women had changed over the years, and not just in the obvious ways. To be sure, Carrie’s remarriage and birth of a lovely son was an absolute testimony to the redeeming grace of God.

And of course, Andrea’s transformation was miraculous. She had been changed from being self-centered, stubborn and angry to being selfless, kind and caring; with a change in persona along the way. But these changes were no solace or comfort to her as she grieved; not just for the loss of her newly restored relationship with her ex-wife, but also the loss of “what could have been.” Her relationship with Betty was wonderful; no couple enjoyed more love and fun and excitement than them. But the past, as we have already seen, never remains completely in the past, and regrets and sadness plague us in a time of loss such as Andrea was undergoing. Mrs. Giordano was staying at the house for the day, keeping Andrea company. No one was worried; she just needed someone to “hold her hand” for a little while.

______________________________________________
Waiting to see you; Waiting to hear you
Waiting for vision; to see your,
Your Revelation

It was awfully hard to see the hand of God in this tragedy, even for such people of faith. Betty explained to Gina that they had discovered that neither Carrie nor her husband Jim had any relatives, and when they were killed in the bank robbery last week, Child Protective Services had taken custody of their toddler Joshua until a permanent arrangement could be made.

Betty worried that the little boy would be lost in the system, and would grow up like his dad Jim, who was in foster care for all of his childhood after losing his own parents at five years old. Betty had gotten a call from Jim’s lawyer, and she had some news that might help with the whole custody situation, but they wouldn’t know until that afternoon when they met. Gina asked her Uncle Tony Sorrento to accompany them. They would be stopping by the house to pick up Andrea and Mrs. G. on the way. Patti was holding down the fort at the clinic, and she’d page Andrea if any emergencies came in, but they were likely to be referred to Penn Wynne Animal Hospital until this was all over.

_________________________________________
Learning the purifying flame
Regeneration after the growing pain
Longing for the words to flow
Longing for the world to know

The whole process had become an arduous ordeal, and the pain threatened to consume the couple. That is until they heard these words.

“I’ve got some things I need to discuss with you, Ms. DiMaggio,” the lawyer said as the group sat in her office. “Tony, it’s always good to see you. How’s Sally doing (Sally being Gina’s Aunt Salvatricia)?”

“Just fine, Margo, just great.” He smiled and waited for her to continue.

“The will is in probate, but one thing is entirely clear. Two weeks ago, Carrie and Jim came to me with a request, which I have addressed. They knew, of course, that they had no one to take care of Joshua in the event of their death…” Margo’s voice trailed off as her emotions took hold. She had been a good friend as well as their lawyer, and their deaths took a toll on her as well as the people before her. She collected herself and continued.

“I’ll just read the first part; you can go over the rest with them afterwards,” she said as she looked at Tony once again.

“They, of course, left everything, such as it was, to Joshua. They owned their own home, and after everything is settled, it can be sold, with the monies put in trust for Joshua until he’s eighteen, with whatever is available to be distributed for college and such. We’ll work out the details afterwards. And of course, either surviving parent would have been responsible for Joshua’s care. But here’s the good part.” She looked right at Betty and Andrea. “If there was anything good that could come out of this tragedy, it’s this.” She began to mist up again, feeling the grief that everyone felt as well.

“In the event of our deaths, or if either of us should die subsequent to the death of the other, we want the care of our son Joshua Nathaniel Davidson, to be in the hands of Andrea Lena DiMaggio and Elizabeth Patricia DiMaggio.” Margo smiled through her tears, and reached over and placed her hand on Andrea’s.

“She told me the whole story, and I can’t think of a sweeter, more touching reminder of God’s grace than your reconciliation, Ms. DiMaggio. I am so glad that we’ll be able to see Jim’s and Carrie’s wishes fulfilled, and from what Carrie told me, she believed the two of you will be just wonderful parents for the little…” Margo Chapman wasn’t usually an emotional person, at least in front of clients, but the thought of her friends’ death and the little orphan…no longer an orphan, thank God, made her cry, tears mixed equally with grief and joy. She once again composed herself as Tony rested his hand on her shoulder. And of course by now everyone was crying, even Uncle Tony, but they were all tears of relief and joy.

“Just a few documents to sign and everything will be okay.” Margo stated emphatically.

I would love to report that everything was okay. It wasn’t; at least for a little while, as the couple would deal with the lovely institution we like to call “bureaucracy.”

_________________________________

“This couple has been through enough, sir, and frankly, you are beginning to try my patience.” Tony had been at the Child Protective Service office for nearly two hours.

“There is not only no reason for a home inspection or investigation, there is absolutely no basis in law.” The gentleman in front of him was insisting upon a family investigation of Andrea and Betty. And he made some absolutely rediculous statement about the child being abandoned.

“The care of this child is only your responsibility because the parents are deceased." He was about to add, "You moron," but thought better of it.

"There was no report whatsoever of neglect or abuse by the parents, and frankly, it is an insult to the memory of these people that you are now demanding an investigation.”

“That we know of…you can never be sure. And what about the…unique status of the couple in question?”

“Once again, sir, that has no basis in law in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. The couple is legally married, and their “status” is no business of the State!”

“We’ll just see about that!” The man actually smirked. The Office of Child Protective Services employs hundreds upon hundreds of diligent, compassionate, and caring people. The man in front of Tony seemed to lack all of the characteristics I’ve just described. Having worked at CPS in another state, this author knows how difficult and demanding the job can be, but there was no reason for the man to be smug or condescending. Fortunately for Tony, someone in the office came to the “rescue.”

“John, may I speak to you a moment?” A sweet looking African-American woman stood at the doorway, her arms folded and her expression somewhat dour. He got up and she pulled him into her office and closed the door. Tony heard nothing, but the animation of the woman, apparently the man’s supervisor, indicated displeasure with how things were going. A few moments later the door opened and John came out with an entirely “non-smug” expression. He sat down and shuffled the papers on his desk, more out of an attempt to delay his inevitable apology.

“It appears that I was wrong….I’m…sorry. I’ll see to this immediately. Behind him, his supervisor stood in her doorway and shook her head as she looked at Tony, as if to say, “See what I’ve got to put up with?”

_______________________________


Waiting to see you; waiting to hear you
Waiting for vision; to see your,
Your Revelation

Friday afternoon was promising to be a long and uneventful day. Betty was sitting in the kitchen drinking some coffee and trying to read a magazine. Andrea sat in the living room on the couch, looking out the window in anxious anticipation, but with almost no hope or expectation. What happened next was the biggest grandest surprise ever, and possibly the second-most joyful event in the couple’s life. Betty heard a car door close in front of the house. She jumped up and ran to the door. Andrea remained seated, fearing to hope and be disappointed. A knock came at the door and Betty opened it. A young lady of about twenty-three or so stood in the doorway, holding a folder. And peeking out from behind her legs was the sweetest little boy you would ever want to see. He stepped out from behind the girl and held his hands up for Betty. She blinked back tears as she picked Joshua up and brought him over to Andrea, who gathered the sweet little boy in her arms as they embraced and wept tears of relief and utter joy.

Revelation by Iona from the Book of Kells, 1992
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkVWS0zhfnE

Next: A fond farewell and another addition to the family.

up
72 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I'm Glad To See

That small minded emperors are overuled here.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Many years ago

I happpened to get into a lift (elevator) at work. Already in the lift was a senior manager not at all noted for a sense of humour.

He glanced at the box in my arms and simply said, "You can get a lot of small minds in there."

That story went down in the annals of company history.

We are all beset with petty bureaucrats. There is one who has spent many thousands of pounds of UK government money denying me, and a few friends, the little money to which we are entitled. It would have been cheaper to pay us but that, of course, would never do.

Glad to see this sweet story continue.

Susie

A chapter of faith...

Ole Ulfson's picture

and redemption through forgiveness and love renewed. A joyous chapter born in sadness as only you can do so well.

Ole

We are each exactly as God made us. God does not make mistakes!

Gender rights are the new civil rights!