Providence - Part 10

Printer-friendly version
Providence - The Valley
Part Five


Harvest


 
In almost a year, Terri and Katlyn had changed from welcome guests to almost family; actually Lainey felt Terry and Katlyn were like sisters, along with her wife April, these women had served to take the place of the family that had rejected her. Both had gained strength to recuperate from their own ordeals. Terri was a breast cancer survivor who had been symptom free for nearly two years, and her health had returned. While Lainey and Katlyn were homebodies, April and Terri actually had both returned to a long-dormant passion, and they were one-two in batting in their softball league.

____________________________________

Katlyn still worked part time at the drug store, but spent a lot of time at home cooking and sewing and such. She had learned to cook from her mom; one of the few things she could point to from her past that she was proud of.


non si comporta in modo sconveniente, non cerca il proprio interesse
Love's ways are ever fair, it takes no thought for itself

Between her counselor and her friends, she had become more confident, but even after all this time with more and more success, she still harbored doubts about her own life choice, which would have not been a surprise for a "girl" like her under the best of circumstances, but as a recovering victim of both physical and sexual abuse, her doubts and insecurity were ever-present, despite the encouragement she received. One huge issue that confused and caused her doubt was her choice of persona. To be sure, she was a girl...it was the manner of how to be a girl that she questioned; frequently she felt out of place, even among friends. She did not despise her own body, if you follow me, like some girls do. That's not to say they're right or wrong; they just are sure about how they feel, and Katlyn wasn't.

She still felt self-conscious and even ashamed at times at her appearance; again, not entirely unheard of. She wanted to be a girl, and she certainly wanted to look like one, but every time she viewed herself in the mirror, especially "up top," she was brought to tears.

______________________________________

It was late afternoon, She didn't expect anyone to be home. April had decided after much self-debate, not to return to UPS, and instead assumed much of the responsibility of the financial end the store, with Lainey and Diane still handling the customer interaction. When not at an occasional play date, Deedee still spent a lot of time at the store with her parents. Terri had finally finished her degree, and was working at Second Chances Animal Shelter and Veterinary Hospital as a Vet assistant. So Katlyn was completely surprised when she stepped out of the hall bathroom after her shower, only to come face to face with Terri, who was standing in the hallway in her own robe, expecting to take a late afternoon shower before dinner. Katlyn's robe had fallen open, and she felt naked and exposed. She looked into Terri's eyes, and found herself less anxious as Terri smiled. Then she looked down at herself and began to cry, mostly out of embarrassment for the moment, but somewhat out of inadequacy as she considered her "lack." Not at all feminine, she was boyish and "flat," leaving her to feel not at all like the girl she had become.

Terri looked at her and picked up her anxiety and shame immediately. She smiled once again, saying nothing, but her eyes began to mist up. She reached over and held Katlyn's hand. Then she took both their hands and placed them on Katlyn's chest over her heart. She took her other hand and stroked Katlyns cheek while continuing to smile and cry. She lifted Katlyn's chin and kissed her cheek, and said,

"It's okay, I understand." Katlyn's expression was one of wonder and sadness; she didn't understand why Terri would cry. She was about to find out, and this moment, like others we've seen, would be transformational for both women.


La caritá  á¨ paziente, ᨠbenigna; la caritá  non invidia; la caritá  non si vanta, non si gonfia Love is never tired of waiting; love is kind; love has no envy; love has no high opinion of itself, love has no pride

Terri took her hand off Katlyn's chest. She opened her own robe, revealing her own lack. She took Katlyn's hand and placed both of their hands on her own chest over her own heart. A chest that was no longer feminine, but flat and scarred. She took Katlyn's other hand and placed in on her own cheek. She leaned forward and kissed Katlyn once again on the cheek and said softly,

"It's okay, we're really not so different, are we?" She kissed Katlyn once again on the cheek and closed her robe. She smiled once again through her tears and walked into the bathroom and closed the door.


La caritá  á¨ paziente, ᨠbenigna



Love is never tired of waiting; love is kind

______________________________________

Lainey and April came through the front door with Deedee in tow. The smell of tomato, basil and garlic filled the house, and April noticed a big pot simmering on the stove. It was quiet, and the house almost seemed unnaturally peaceful; not in a bad way, certainly, but uncommonly peaceful, like something wonderful had taken place. Lainey tapped April on the shoulder and pointed into the living room. Terri was sitting on the couch, her hand resting on Katlyn's brow, as if she had been stroking the girl's hair. Katlyn lay in Terri's arms, awake, and she had been crying, but these weren't tears of sadness or confusion or doubt. These were tears of joy, of wonder, of hope, and finally, of love.

__________________________________

Four events were marked with great excitement later that month. Michelle and Diane celebrated their first wedding anniversary, surrounded by loving friends and family who rejoiced in the renewal of their love. Deedee celebrated her first birthday. April and Terri's softball team won the league championship. And Terri O'Hara gave her hand in marriage to Josephine Katlyn Carlucci, who had returned to using her given name, Joey. After all, when combined, Joey and Theresa mean God will provide a harvest, and provide a harvest He did indeed.

Or dunque queste tre cose durano: fede, speranza, caritá ; ma la piá¹ grande di esse ᨠla caritá .
But now we still have faith, hope, love, these three; and the greatest of these is love.

More about the Espositos, the Alluccios; and the Carluccis soon!

up
57 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

How Sweet, Drea

Now those two girls need to finf a who can help them with their lack, if they want to address it that is.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Oh, God...

Ole Ulfson's picture

Andrea,

Back to Costco for another pallet of Kleenex!

Sob for joy.

You did it to me again,

Ole

We are each exactly as God made us. God does not make mistakes!

Gender rights are the new civil rights!