Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 762.

Printer-friendly version
Wuthering Dormice
(aka Bike)
Part 762
by Angharad
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

“Where did you put that letter from the insurance company?” I asked Stella.

“On the table in the hallway.” I walked out and picked up the brown envelope and tore it open.

“They’re going to give me a new bike, same or better than the old one.”

“Is that what you wanted?”

“Yeah. I suppose so.”

“Oh well, that’s alright then. Are you going to see Tom this afters?”

“Yep, straight after lunch.”

“Won’t they let me take Puddin’ in?”

“No, but we could share her, I’ll have her for a bit while you’re in with Tom and then we swap over.”

“What, you go in with her while Tom and I come out?”

“Yes – uh? No, you twit, then you come and look after your own bloody offspring while I go and see him.”

“I’m glad you didn’t say idiot offspring, then I should have got cross.”

“Nothing wrong with Pud, it’s her parent who’s an idiot.”

“Jealousy will get you nowhere.”

“Look, I need to make some bread for lunch, so can we talk later?” I strolled out to the kitchen. Once I’d got the bread machine working, I reread the letter in a more leisurely and thorough manner. They were going to provide me with a new Scott which would be delivered within three weeks – so it’s just as well I wasn’t waiting to go for a ride.

Stella had Puddin’ down for a sleep and I showed her the letter. “Better late than never, I suppose.”

“Yeah, but they take your money fast enough, don’t they? I hope it’s still in the yellow colours of Saunier Duval.”

“Do they still do them like that?”

“I doubt it. The team packed up, but I still like Dave Millar, he’s going to captain the British road-race team at the worlds.”

“Isn’t he the one who got struck off for taking EPO or whatever they call it?”

“He was suspended or banned for two years, nearly destroyed him – he was such a fool, he lost his World Time Trial championship too, and ensured he’d never ride in an Olympics again – silly fool.”

“So how come he can ride in the world championships?”

“They’re a bit more forgiving, and I think he’s learnt his lesson – he’s now very anti-drugs.”

“What, poacher turned gamekeeper?”

“Sort of, although I dunno if the analogy stretches that far.”

“Wot no lycra?” Stella made this silly face and I laughed out loud. “I thought you lot were born in lycra?”

“Very funny, you wear as much of it as I do.”

“Oh yeah, I’m always in tight fitting clothes – I’ve had a baby, remember–got the stretch marks to prove it.”

I decided I wasn’t going to respond to this line of conversation – I was sure there was no deliberate attempt to poke the finger at me, and whilst I could have made a joke of it, I decided to ignore it. “You have a super figure, Stella. I’m fatter than you.”

“Oh well, you’ve got three babies haven’t you.”

“I’ll take that as an offering without malice.”

“Malice, Cathy, of course there’s none, I wouldn’t dream of it.”

“It’s just that when you go on about babies…”

“Oh poo, I keep doing that don’t I? I don’t mean to, kiddo. I just forget that they’re not yours in the literal sense – or do I mean biological sense. Yeah, that’ll do. I’ll shut up now.”

We hugged, it was safer than hitting her or drowning her in my tears, and I felt that she hadn’t really intended it. Hey ho, back to my bread.

“So you don’t know what colour the bike is going to be?”

“No, the colour isn’t that important, but I must get back into riding again.”

“Ride to the hospital, I’ll drive with Puddin’ and we’ll meet you there.”

“It’s not supposed to rain is it?”

“Not according to the forecast, but you take that as you want.”

“I’ll go and check my bike – oh and Stella?”

“Yes?”

“Thanks.”

She beamed back a smile. I went out to the garage the bikes were in and checked the tyres which were softish – they need to be at least one hundred pounds per square inch or PSI or they don’t function properly. I also quickly checked the brakes and made sure I had a chain with me. Four grand of carbon fibre is a bit too valuable to leave just lying anywhere. After discussion with Stella, she was going to drive my dad’s old car, the Mondeo and I’d whip the wheel off the front and shove it in the boot when she got there – the bike wheel, that is.

That was effectively what we did. She got caught in the traffic – the schools are back – I had informed Sister Maria about our two, so that was okay. I was waiting at the hospital car park for about five minutes ahead of the car. Mind you, I nearly hit some kid on a crossing – he was messing about and I came through just as he decided to race across. My swerve was spectacular r– brakes full on and my back wheel nearly came around to the front.

“Shouldn’t be going so fast,” claimed the cheeky little sod.

“Don’t worry, you little turd, I’ll get you next time,” I spat back. Why is it that pedestrians don’t see cyclists? I know kids don’t even see trucks when they’re messing about, let alone we lesser beings. But even adults, especially people shopping or elderly folk, simply don’t look unless they hear an engine. If there’s a big Merc or a Rolls Royce coming along, they won’t hear it either, so they should look.

In my book, unless cyclists have jumped a red light, then they should be the same as any other idiot with regard to the law and be prosecuted, but otherwise, any cyclist involved with a vehicle or pedestrian on the road is likely to be the victim of others’ stupidity.

I know we all get the odd stupid cyclist, usually young men, who are stupid full stop; and who do silly things. Teenagers are unable to see consequences, especially boys, they do things and repent at leisure if they do at all.

I cycle within the law and with reasonable care. I’ve been knocked off several times and none of them has been my fault unless you count the time I got my cleat stuck in the pedal and I went down. The road is harder than I am – surprisingly and it bloody hurts. I’m willing to bet even a carbon fibre frame is harder than a cocky seven-year-old, but it could have bent one of my Roval wheels.

Tom was in a reasonable mood; they were still doing tests but much to their embarrassment, they had diagnosed a myocardial infarct but now were finding some difficulty in locating where or what had happened. They were also a bit concerned about their diagnosis of his coronary arteries. They were doing a series of scans tomorrow and if he was as well as he seemed today, they could send him home. I must admit I grinned, it appeared that my efforts had been successful. How much Tom appreciated it, I wasn’t sure, but Stella had come out smirking when she took back control of Puddin, who was fast asleep in the car seat.

“So the blue light strikes again?” she said sniggering at me.

“Does it? I’ll go and see him and see what they say.”

“Looks like he’s going to be out tomorrow or the next day. When are the girls back?” “

“Tomorrow, I think, I’ll check with Simon. He was taking them to the Tower, today.”

“Yeah, but are they coming back from there or are they going to be incarcerated in there?”

“That depends upon how much agro they gave the yeoman warders.”

“Who?” said Stella.

“Beefeaters, them in the fancy dress.”

“I thought that’s what they called ‘em, sounds like a carvery, doesn’t it?”

“Could well be. Let me fix this wheel back on and I’ll race you home.” I tightened the quick release levers and closed the front brake. Then I jumped on the bike and shot out of the car park…

The cow beat me.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
137 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Oh, yeah?

. . . made sure I had a chain with me. Four grand of carbon fibre is a bit too valuable to leave just lying anywhere.

This from the woman who hung her bike on the back of her car without locking it up and went for a drive? Guess she can learn from experience. ;-)

m

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive

If I remember

Angharad's picture

she actually went for a wee. It was tied on to the car rack but not locked. Fancy you remembering that - I'm impressed.

Angharad

Angharad

Yes!

We do actually read these chapters! ;-)

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive

Very Moo-ving Angharad ;)

Glad to see Cathy back on her bike, again. I'd like to see her do like Jenny Bond, and be able to race. I am sure that there is a young man who would make an excellent nanny, butler that Stella could fall for. Maybe even a brother, or cousin of the Russian girl that Cathy, and Stella helped, or a member of the Russian Mafia wo's duty is to protect the family.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Positively normal

This episode seemed positively normal, apart from the blue light reference, the few cycling rants, and an insurance company settling a claim in under a year - and at full replacement value, too.

Cathy didn't even rise to the unintentional 'baby' bait.

Nice one, though maybe we'll appreciate the Watts mayhem a little more now.

You should have heard the insult I got when I met a cyclist on a local footpath, and asked him if he thought that I ought to walk in the road. Mind you, some motorists can be less than considerate.

I've had my daily dose of 'bike' so I can now go bye-byes in peace.

Susie

Almost 'normal'...

Things look like they are getting back to 'normal' for Cathy. She seems to be back from the edge. Glad she's getting a new bike. I hope she is in a place where she can start resolving various issues and relationships.

When I started reading EAFOAB around episode 723, I went back and read the series from episode 1, just to catch up to the story. I'm glad I did, but it took most of my spare time for over a week. I at least understand how Cathy got to where she is today, and who the characters are.

Considering some of the trauma her body has been put through, I'd guess her 'blue light' is helping her physically recover and heal. After her recent scare with the media about the healing, she seems to be using the 'blue light in Stealth mode.

I love the dialog an interplay of Stella and Cathy in last few episodes.

Thanks for continuing this lovely saga. It's too long to just be a story.

Hugs,
Trish-Ann
~There is no reality, only perception~

Hugs,
Trish Ann
~There is no reality, only perception~

Cathy must be

feeling almost back to normal,Not only has she been out on her bike, But she has also evicted the spiders from the bread machine.....Good to see her almost back to old self (hopefully minus the self doubt!!!).

Kirri

We're not looking forward enough folks...

Ang is using all this domestic bliss to set us up for the cliff-hanger to end all cliff-hangers, then she goes on vacation. Just watch for all h*** to break loose in 10 days.

Bob

Bob

OMG!

I hadn't thought of that possibility!

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Nor

Angharad's picture

me.

Angharad :)

Angharad

10 days?

What about 6 days? (Well, 5 days and a few minutes now!)

768 = ¾ kilochapter = 64 * 12

Of course, you could also argue it's chapter 300, 1400 or even 1100000000, depending on how you count :)

 
 
--Ben


This space intentionally left blank.

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Us wierdos

who used to program IBM machines in EBCDIC used base16. My calculator reckons that's 47.625. But, then again, I have been retired a few years!

Susie

Motorists

It's funny, but people on motorcycles have the same complaint. Sad to say I've been guilty, though not too outrageous. Bicycles now, they tend to be kids. Most folks around here keep a sharp eye. It doesn't help that Texas is way behind the curve on bike lanes, though I am seeing some signs of improvement.

The aura has cured Tom's heart problems

Isn't it amazing how emotional we get over a fictional person getting into fictional scrapes. And how we talk about it like it has happened, and we have an idea how to correct the problem for 'Cathy'.
It's nice to see Cathy has embraced her healing powers.

Cefin