Providence - Part 14

Printer-friendly version


Providence
Il mio Tesoro, il mio sorellina
(My treasure, my little sister)
Part Four

 

From Part Three: Taryn remembered the evil visited upon her after her sister was forced from the home.


I will watch you in the darkness
Show you love will see you through
When the bad dreams wake you crying
I'll show you all love can do
All love can do

All of the women gathered around Taryn in prayer, feeling helpless themselves after hearing what this poor girl had endured at the hands of her family. They had listened as Taryn had recounted the nearly four years of abuse she had suffered, and wept with this girl. Something was needed to relieve the tension and lift the mood; not for themselves, but for this poor girl.
Without even being asked, Joey got up from the table and turned to the crowd of Taryn’s new friends and family and said,
“I think we need to have a party to welcome Taryn home.” She bounded into the kitchen and started by putting on the kettle for some tea. She had baked a cake for dinner, and looked quickly, finding some birthday candles. She called from the kitchen,
“What are you guys waiting for? Let’s get started.”

April and Terri looked at each other; teammates in so many sports over the years, they almost thought alike, and came to the same conclusion.
“We need presents.” They both ran to their respective bedrooms and started looking through closets and dressers. April stood just a tad shy of six feet, while Terri stood well past six-two. Between them, they had just the right things for Taryn. You may recall Tommy stood about six-four, and would have been sorely pressed to find clothing to fit, so it was fitting that she had come to the right place at the right time as her real self. Michelle and Diane excused themselves as they left to go home to get some things as well. Lainey just looked at her new sister and smiled. Taryn had finally been able to stop crying after the ordeal of telling her story, which turned from arduous to freeing and healing as she received the love and acceptance of the women. She looked at Lainey with wonder. She had only seen her sister twice in four years, and even at that, it was as her male self. This was the first time that the two sisters were together, and she couldn’t get over the excitement, now that the sorrow had passed, if only for the moment.

______________________________________________

After about forty minutes, all the women were together again, making preparations for a coming out party like no one had ever seen. Boxes were piled on the buffet on the far wall, decorated with an odd assortment of Christmas and birthday wrapping paper. The table was set with tea cups and cake plates and utensils, with an impromptu centerpiece of a bowl of lilac petals hastily but gently pulled and added along with some mint sprigs for color. Diane stepped next to the two sisters and said,
“We had a little contest, and Terri won.” Diane smiled and lifted Taryn/Tommy out of the chair. Still clad in her boy clothes, she needed some help in getting ready for the party, and Terri won the privilege. Diane handed the girl off to Terri, who walked out of the room with the girl in tow.

_____________________________________________

“This is so cool,” Joey said, having never been to a party in her life. She had been abused and hurt and finally treated like an object for most of her life, and well into her early twenties had never had anything special done for her. The delight over someone else’s joy was a testimony to her own healing, as she had never participated in giving of herself anything voluntarily. She was excited, and she scurried between the kitchen and dining room getting the refreshments in place. A few minutes later, two figures appeared once again in the hallway, but one looked brand-new; evidence that life can and does get better with the help of friends and family and God. Terri stood next to her new friend, tears in her own eyes over the wonderful transformation with which she had helped.

________________________________________

“Ladies, for the first time anywhere, I give you Taryn Anne Esposito.” She gently tugged at the hand of the girl next to her, pulling her into sight. Taryn stood there, transformed. Of course, the clothing had changed her appearance, but the ability to be herself, wearing something that made her feel good about her self; total and absolute metamorphosis from old to new, like a caterpillar into a beautiful butterfly.

For the lights will take you
Through the night to see
All love, showing us all love can be

Where a strong, good looking shy boy once stood, there stood instead a lovely, sweet and attractive girl. She wore a dark green corduroy mid-calf skirt, complements of April. Terri contributed a nice cream-colored button down blouse along with a pretty dark wine-colored brocade jacket. Michelle had provided some nice dark brown boots, and Diane had given her a nice set of pearl clip-on earrings and a matching gold necklace with a single pearl. Her hair was dark brown, almost but not quite auburn and it fell in soft curls to caress her shoulders. And her makeup was simple but suited her. Her lips were slightly glossy and almost wine-colored as well. She wore just a hint of mascara and her eye shadow set off her dark green eyes and complemented her decidedly Sicilian complexion, which mirrored her older but smaller sister’s lovely face. But the best part…the part that made everything come together in such a heart-rending but delightful way was her smile; a smile that had not seen the light of day for almost three years. She stood in front of her new friends and family and felt for the first time...in her life that she belonged, accepted and loved.

________________________________________

I will watch by the night
Hold you in my arms
Give you dreams where no one will be
I will watch through the dark
Till the morning comes

Terri stood back and looked at her once again. The women crowded around her, showering her with hugs and kisses and more hugs, all in wonder at the transformation. Even little Deedee marveled at the sight of her brand new aunt.

Terri looked at Taryn and a thought came to her. An answer came to her for a question that had almost plagued her for nearly two years; the kind of question that would arise from time to time. She looked at Taryn’s beautiful hair, remembering the first time she had seen it herself, adorning a Styrofoam head in a wig shop she had visited soon after she had lost most of her own hair during her chemo. Her own hair had grown back long ago, and she couldn’t help but think from time to time why she had bothered to keep the wig, since she no longer needed it. At one time, she might have attributed it to absentmindedness or a perhaps an unwillingness to let go of the painful reminder of her own ordeal. But she had been healed long ago, not just from the cancer, but the bitterness and anger toward God over failed relationships and devastating illness. So why had she kept the wig. And it came to her, like a gentle reminder of grace and restoration; she had kept it for such a time as this, as it says somewhere. Taryn’s hair would grow eventually, now given "permission" to assume the length she chose rather than the image someone else had of her. But for now, today, it provided a special gift to her that added something restorative and wonderful to an already wonderful day. Her own loss and subsequent healing had been a way to be healing to another, and it was no accident.. And Terri marveled at the girl's name as well, being an afficianado of word and name meanings. Here, in April and Lainey's house stood a new girl, free from the bounds of evil and fear, the girl stood in a place (Es posit - Esposito) of innocence (Taryn) and grace (Anne) Coincidence? No...another wonderful example of providence.


I will guard you with my bright wings
Stay till your heart learns to see
All love can be

All Love Can Be - James Horner & Will Jennings

Next: Justice and Forgiveness

up
63 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Taryn smiles

laika's picture

This chapter was as beautiful & touching as the previous one was gut-wrenching.
I'll take happy tears over sad and angry ones any day!
~~~love n hugs, Laika

A lovely tale

Lots of emotion from the author comes through in the reading of it. I like.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
That which does not kill me only serves to delay the inevitable. My blog => http://jaym.angelblogs.co.uk/

That which does not kill me only serves to delay the inevitable. My blog => http://jaynemorose.wordpress.com/ <= note new address

The party

and the transformation; what lovely pictures with which to end the day here in the UK.

Susie

Taryn's Journey

Is one of bittersweet joy as her new family accept her. Me, if I was there, I'd give her a hug to welcome her to the family. I's too bad that there are not more male members of the family.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Places that are thin...

Back home in the country side, we believe that there are places where the physical world and the spiritual world touch. We call these places 'thin' because the barrier between the two worlds can be breeched. Your words, especially in this part of your tale, are like a 'thin place'. There is so much emotion and spirituality that comes through it is nearly like saying a prayer...and hearing an answer.

Not just...

...in the countryside, but in the city as well, and in the wilderness far from the sight of humankind. And those thin places are where the best sort of transformative magic can happen: not the physical transformation that many of us would gladly undergo, but the even greater, internal, mental and spiritual transformation that heals and gives peace with ourselves and others.

-Liz

-Liz

Successor to the LToC
Formerly known as "momonoimoto"

Thank you Andrea...

Ole Ulfson's picture

For the beginning of healing for both Taryn and all the newer girls as they learn to give and receive love and unconditional acceptance.

Ole

We are each exactly as God made us. God does not make mistakes!

Gender rights are the new civil rights!