The River of Shadows - Chapter 3

Printer-friendly version
The River of Shadows
Chapter 3
by Alyssa Plant

 
A high school senior heads to Boston to visit his sister for Halloween. A twist of fate reveals something they would never have admited alone... and it proves to be the one thing that may keep them alive when the best laid plans of a group of college students are lain waste by a force of terrible evil and corruption that has thrived for centuries... Can Charlie Kane be strong enough to live? or will the River of Shadows claim yet another victim...?


 
Chapter Three — Much Ado About Everything
 

It turned out the costume store was around three blocks away from the apartment building. I can safely say that it was the longest three blocks of my life: I walked quietly by Heather’s side for the duration, unable to fully lift my head to see where I was going. Part of me expected people to point and laugh, or to stare… But I knew they wouldn’t when faced with the girl in the mirror… my mind still told me I ought to look like a football player in his girlfriend’s prom dress, and that people must see the truth… That I ought to be ashamed

“We’re here.” Heather said quietly as we abruptly drew to a halt in the middle of the busy street. “Come on, let’s go inside.” She urged gently pushing me towards the door. As we entered, the chime of a bell made me jump slightly, I was so on edge that I could have snapped at the slightest thing. The store was warm, not hot, but pleasantly warm after the cool fall air of the street outside. The interior was lined with bright costumes, accessories, glitter and balloons; typical costume store…

Heather turned to me and smiled. “That wasn’t so hard was it?” she grinned impishly.

I shrugged. “Not for you… But I was terrified.” I admitted, rubbing my hands together. “I expected everyone to laugh.” I added quietly.

Heather sighed quietly. “Now come on you…” she said with a stern look, “This morning, you managed it without trying, and here, you look a whole lot better… nobody will know, I know… and I can’t tell.” She urged softly. “Come on, lets get you sorted out.” She offered taking my hand and dragging me into the store proper.

“Hello Ladies, how can I help?” called the middle aged man behind the counter merrily. “Is there anything in particular you’re looking for?”

I clammed up for a second, unsure how to respond; thankfully Heather wasn’t so vacant.
“Hey there... my friend here’s looking for a costume for a Halloween party tonight. What do you have?”

The man looked thoughtful for a moment. “Well it’s a little late…I think I sold out most of my stuff…” he offered with an apologetic shrug, “I’m sure we have something left.” He offered brightly. “Come with me.” He gestured walking back into the aisles of costumes.

Stopping in front of a row of costumes, he turned to me and spoke, “So Miss, what are you looking for? Anything in particular?”

I swallowed hard and fought back the urge to run. “I… um, something for a party tonight.” I offered weakly. “Uh, but not too cheesy.”

The man looked thoughtful for a moment and began thumbing through the rack of costumes muttering to himself. With the look of an epiphany, he unhooked a garment bag and slipped it off the shelf.
“Here we go.” He announced like a proud father, “This will suit you down to the ground.” He smiled removing the costume from the bag and displaying it for me.
The dress was brief, but elegant. Black translucent fabric hung over a black silky off the shoulder sweater dress.

“I like it.” I murmured quietly without realising that I’d spoken. “Uh, what’s it meant to be?” I asked cautiously.

“It’s for a vampire princess.” Smiled the owner, “it’s pretty much all I have left in your size.” He smiled apologetically.

“That won’t do,” piped in Heather, “I’m going as a vampire princess… unless…” she murmured looking around the store. “Hang on.” She added wandering off.

I looked at the owner and grinned sheepishly, “Can I try it on?” I asked cautiously, the dress drew my eye quite strangely. I wanted to feel it on me…

“Sure, come with me,” smiled the owner leading the way back towards a changing booth at the rear of the store. “Just pop in there and give me a call if you need anything.” He added handing me the dress.

I pulled the curtain closed and stood looking at the dress for a moment. It was inviting… it was so feminine and different that I was overawed for a moment. Despite my current apparel I still felt unworthy.

Raising my arms, I pulled the sweater off and began to unbutton my skirt before slipping it from my hips and folding both carefully to one side. Rolling down the leggings, I stood before the dress in just my bra and panties. My self consciousness returned. I felt ridiculous stood there in girls’ underwear, and a flash of embarrassment swept across me.

I shook my head clearing the negativity from my mind. For the very first time in my life, I was doing something because I wanted to… no other reason, and not for anyone else… Standing there in that changing room in my bra and panties, I had an enlightening moment: For the first time in my life I was standing up for myself; even if I was the aggressor in this case too. For once, I cared about who I was, and what I did with my life… a slow smile spread across my lips and without embarrassment, I reached up and removed the hanger from the dress, before slipping it over my head.

I settled the dress about my hips and ran my hands over the fabric, smoothing it out. The dress was clingy in places, but also had an airiness that took away a little of my skinniness without making me frumpy looking. I chuckled to myself that I’d been dressing as a girl for at most, two hours, and I was already trying to avoid looking fat…

I turned to face the mirror in the corner of the booth and looked at myself. The airy billowing sleeves that tapered up to being fitted on my upper arms, and the exposure of my shoulders was an interesting sight. The skirt settled roughly around my mid thigh, and the material was loose and slightly poofy: The overall impression would not have looked out of place in the wardrobe of an evil sexy princess… Fluffing my hair into a more unruly and vampy style that I’d seen girls do, I pulled back the curtain and peered outside.

Heather was stood talking to the shop owner when I stepped out of the changing booth. Both of them turned to look at me when they heard movement.

“Wow.” Heather breathed quietly. “Not bad.” She added with raised eyebrows. The shop owner just smiled knowingly and nodded; I could see the dollar signs in his eyes.

“It looks good on you.” Heather said approaching me and circling around like a clothing vulture. “It’s very you,” she chuckled. “I had some ideas.” She added holding up a few items she had been obviously unearthing for my costume. One, was a pointed witches hat.

I looked at her and grinned. “I’m not wearing that.” I said firmly. “I’m not six.”

“Oh come on” she pleaded, “It would suit you.”

“I suppose I get a black cat and a broomstick too?” I added with a smile, “What happened to your ‘good looking’ concept?”

Heather shrugged. “Well how else can we say you’re a witch? I mean… it’s just a gothic black dress as it is… not that it doesn’t look awesome,” she added with a sly grin.

I was silent for a moment before I took the hat from her hands and placed it on my head: I’d never seen myself in fancy dress before and been happy about it… I twisted the hat till it sat at a more rakish angle and examined my reflection in the mirror; I actually thought I looked cute… I shook my head slowly and turned to Heather. “Okay,” I said slowly, “Witch it is.”

Heather nodded to herself, as if knowing what I’d say. “I took the liberty of acquiring some …. Extras,” she offered with a grin holding out a pair of spidery fishnet stockings, and a pentagram necklace.

I shook my head to myself before throwing the hat at her, which she narrowly avoided with an indignant squeak before sticking her tongue out at me in retaliation.

I changed back to my street clothes, and paid the extortionate bill before we left the store, my precious costume in hand.

“Told you it wasn’t hard.” Heather announced to nobody in particular as we walked.

“I guess.” I admitted, surprising myself more than anyone else, “I guess it’s almost begun to feel a bit less weird.”

Heather looked over at me as we moved through the now busy streets. “You do look a little more relaxed,” she observed.

“So who’s going tonight?” I asked her, hoping to extract the key secrets to the evening’s sordid plans from someone that wasn’t my cunning sister.

Heather shrugged. “Some friends of ours, a few classmates, and some guys that me and Hannah know from hockey.” She said ticking off fingers on her hand.

“Jocks…” I muttered mournfully, “Why does there always have to be jocks?”

“Aw come on you spoil sport,” chided Hannah playfully, “They’re cute… and funny, and a lot of them are single…” she grinned wiggling her eyebrows at me in a way that shouldn’t be humanly possible.

I frowned, “Perhaps you’ve forgotten, but to date, my experience with Jocks has been very different to yours.” I replied quietly, looking away.

Hannah sighed, realising her mistake and slipped her hand into mine, giving it a reassuring squeeze. “I’m sorry Charlie…” she offered biting her lip, “It’s hard to imagine that… but it must have been aweful…” she said softly.

We walked on in silence for several moments before I squeezed Heather’s hand back. “It wasn’t fun… but it was life… is life…” I admitted, correcting myself. “I go back to it on Monday, back to being mister invisible.”

“You need to talk to Hannah.” Heather said quietly, telling me what I already knew. It was strange… such a short space of time, and such a dramatic change in my life had made me so much happier. I still couldn’t believe I’d agreed to this…Hadn’t I suggested it?

Before long, we reached the apartment building, and made our way back up to their place. We were talking with such animation that I’d forgotten how I was dressed… It didn’t last long…

Heather opened the door to the apartment, and the pair of us continued our conversation as we walked in and put our bags down. It was then I caught sight of my sister sat cross legged on the sofa in her pyjamas, halfway through a bowl of cereal: She was frozen with the spoon midway to her mouth.

“Uh, hi,” I offered sheepishly.

Hannah managed to complete her spoon to mouth action and sat munching quietly for a moment, her eyes never leaving me. “That’s a different look little brother,” she observed.

“Uh, I can explain….” I began sheepishly.

“He had no clothes to wear… and we wanted to go get him a costume.” Heather spoke up coming to my defence. “You always get up late… I figured we’d go get something before they sold out.”

“You realise that’s my brother? not my sister right?” Hannah added cocking an eyebrow in Heather’s direction.

“Yes, but…” Heather began opening her mouth to continue, but closing it again at the look she got from Hannah.

“So whose idea was this…?” she asked slowly, her eyes flicking between the two of us.

After the longest time, I found my voice, “I…”

Heather cut me off abruptly putting her hand out, “It was my idea Hannah.” She said with a defiant expression that worried me.

“Was this your idea of a joke?” Hannah asked with a hint of venom. “Or did you just want a little fuck toy that satisfies all your needs in one?”
 


 
To Be Continued...

up
80 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

This should be interesting...

Great story, my only complaint is there isn't more! lol.

Next installment should be interesting seems that big sis is a wee bit protective here and knows something about her roommates sexual proclivities that we don't yet...

The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once - Albert Einstein

Wow

Wow i was not expect his sister to have a reaction like that,
i'm looking forward to seeing where this story goes :)

His Sister

Is simply looking out for her brother. Some girls get off on guys in drag.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

A fight between Hannah and

A fight between Hannah and Heather over Hannah's brother? And here I thought the two of them were friends, as well as being roommates. Janice Lynn

Goody! here we go!

Oh my God! a Fuck toy, mmmmnnnn

LoL
Rita

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita