Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 786.

Printer-friendly version
Wuthering Dormice
(aka Bike)
Part 786
by Angharad
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

“Let me get this clear, Miss Watts; you cycled across in front of the traffic – including the car you allege was trying to run you down – and this mysterious truck driver, who brought you home?”

“Yes, I thought I was I was toast anyway, so I went for it.” I watched as he laboriously wrote down what I said.

“What happened next?” he said licking his pencil ready for my subsequent action.

“I made it across the road,” I said as he wrote it down.

“Obviously,” he looked at me ready for my next confession.

“Look, if you don’t believe me why are you bothering to note this?”

“Evidence.”

“Evidence of what?”

“Wasting police time.”

“I beg your pardon?” I was now close to exploding and he’d be the first casualty.

“Well it’s quite obvious you made up this story to cover up that you fell off your bike.”

“I did no such thing, it happened exactly as I described.” I was closing the release valve so it would be a big bang when I blew.

“You wouldn’t believe the number of calls we get from fantasists every day of the week – worse at weekends.”

“I’m sorry, that I’m wasting your time, constable.” I was so polite he wouldn’t feel my metaphorical dagger slip between his ribs and into his spine – into the heart kills them too quickly.

“Well, I’ll be off, then.”

“When they find my body in some ditch, you’ll believe me, I suppose?”

“They always say that, Miss, we never do.”

Simon sat impassively, except for his darting eyes which were registering fury, he stayed quiet. The officer rose to leave and Simon rose too, I just prayed he wasn’t going to assault the clown – who gave the name ‘plod’ a bad reputation. He didn’t, he escorted him from the room and as they left, I heard him say, “...if I could just have a few minutes of your time.”

I bustled about the kitchen, I’d showered while we waited for Starsky and Hutch, in the end only PC Plod turned up – Noddy must have loaned him his car for the day. I came down minutes before he arrived. My hair was still in a ponytail after washing it, I left it in one while I boiled the kettle – a cuppa might just soothe my ruffled brow and help Simon live with the disappointment of not terminating the moron’s sad existence.

I’d drunk my tea and boiled the kettle again for Simon before he reappeared, when he did the copper was still with him – why? “I think our upholder of the law would like to say something to you, Cathy.”

The policeman blushed, “I’m, er – um, sorry, I misunderstood what you were telling me.”

I suspect I was close to breaking my jaw, as it dropped almost low enough to hit the floor. He must have spotted the look of astonishment on my face. I said nothing, mute from shock as much as anything.

“I’ll um, get straight on I t– processing your statement, I’ve given Lord Cameron the incident number should you need to quote it.” He couldn’t get out fast enough. Simon escorted him to the door and he bolted like a deranged rabbit back to his car and relative safety.

“What did you say to him?” I asked, “I thought you were going to hit him at one point.”

“So did I, what a dickhead.”

“I’m pleased you didn’t – what did you say to change his mind?”

“Yeah, so am I, assaulting a copper is a serious matter.”

“We coulda buried the body under the shed,” I joked.

“Don’t tempt me – nah, they knew he was coming here, someone would have seen his car.”

“We coulda torched his car with him inside, destroyed the evidence.”

“Probably wouldn’t get hot enough, Babes, however tempting and murder does carry a custodial sentence.”

“I’m sure his colleagues would have ignored the evidence to get rid of him.”

“You can never be sure with coppers – unpredictable lot. Anyway, I told him the facts of life and showed him a few press cuttings.”

“Cuttings of what?”

“Your deeds of derring-do.” He smiled to himself, “Yes, I like that, nice bit of alliteration, deeds of derring-do. In the past tense, would they be derring-done?”

“I don’t know and care even less – what exactly did you show him?”

“The rescue of the woman from the river, the rescue of the baby from the burning car, the rescue of Stella and the rescue of his career.”

“His career?”

“Yes, I pointed out I was a personal friend of his chief constable, and that his force banked with us, so his pay cheque could mysteriously go missing for weeks on end – possibly never to return.”

“Isn’t that a veiled threat, Si? If he was recording it, you’d be up a gum tree.”

“I was recording it, hidden camera on the bookshelves.”

“Si, that’s illegal.”

“Tough.”

“How do you reckon, they – whoever they are – knew where I’d be at a particular time?”

“Easy.”

“Stop teasing me, Simon Cameron, and tell me how they could have done it?”

“Easy, they had a camera in the bushes opposite”

“Come on, Si, get real.” I chided him.

“No, they did, I’ve found it since and been cleaning up the old pot. I found it hidden in an old can – I’ll bet there’s one at the school or nearby.”

“I can’t see Brown-Cow setting up that sort of sophistication, can you?”

“Not really, but she knows a man who could.”

“How do you know that?”

“The garden centre her hubby runs, they have cameras everywhere.”

“Don’t shops and things have those rather obvious ones to stop people filching their pots and plants.”

“Yes, but they also have tiny ones in more confined places.”

“Keep talking, Si, I’m enjoying this.”

“I’ve arranged for us to have a few of our own.”

“What d’you mean?”

“The one opposite would record us setting up one ourselves, so I’ve got a friend coming over to set them up covertly.”

“Oh?”

“Yep, they’ll be here this afternoon, to re-point the gate posts. Their van will obscure what they’re actually doing and ours will have infra-red recording too, so we can film any changes to theirs.”

“I like it, Si, I really like it.”

“Yeah, I like it when a plan comes together.”

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
165 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Spy vs Spy

The ancient Mad Magazine comic strip. Sounds like Simon is getting into that. Seriously though, who hates them enough to go to the effort of surveillance on the house? Be sure it isn't something to do with the bank.

Derring-done?

“Your deeds of derring-do.” He smiled to himself, “Yes, I like that, nice bit of alliteration, deeds of derring-do. In the past tense, would they be derring-done?”

Whilst Simon’s question is somewhat rhetorical, it does beg an answer. No!

It is however, fair to say that Cathy is a derring-doer.

The SOED6 gives the origin of derring-do as a misconstruction of the Late Middle English dorryng do(n) meaning daring to do. The same source defines derring-doer as a rarely used term for a performer of daring feats.

Prehistoric Source

Just because you're paranoid,

That doesn't mean they aren't out to get you. It isn't likely to be the Russian bunch, they gave it up as a bad job. let's see, who else has Cathy pissed off? Oh, Lord, this box is too small for the list! ;-)

m

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive

What Simon Said

Is very close to what John 'Hannibal' Smith of the A-Team would say

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

I used to love it when

I used to love it when someone who had been arrested told me they were good friends with the Chief or Sheriff, as I would then respond "good then you know someone will might come down and post your bail".
One time, I did have a State Revenue Officer who threaten me and my staff with lifetime audits by both the State and the Federal IRS; if we didn't immediately release him (DUI charge). He lost his position after making that comment, as it went into the report to the court and prosecuting attorney.
Janice Lynn

What?

No booking room camera? I love having those tapes in court! Helps eleminate the "he says - he said" factor.

m

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive

Wireless cameras?

Are generally short-range, to minimize battery drain. So somebody has to be fairly close by to receive the signal. Si ought to know somebody who could look into that. In the meantime, who about our team getting a wireless camera receiver? In addition to the cameras Si is adding, they can also turn the opposition's cameras against them. A recording of a nice face shot as they adjust their camera might be nice to have. It's amazing how people talk when they know you have them on tape committing a crime.

m

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive

They advertize them in TV in NW Wisconsin and other hunting

hot spots.

A few years back they were cheap film cameras with a motion sensor or trip wires/pressure plate. Now they are CCD cameras that use WI-Fi, cell phone technology or similar radio links and LEDs or infrared LEDs to snap pics or vid of a deer at a bait station/game trail etc. With long lasting batteries and an optional solar array they can run for long periods of time. The motion sensor uses little power, Trip wires, presure pads and the like use no power until tripped. the camera need only transmit when it has an image.

Cathy's assalants could have a repeater or repeaters planted around to relay and boost the signal though using the cell phone system would be easy. A modified cell could run for days on a charged motorcyle battery or a laptop battery, both very compact.

Whoever did this is VERY nasty. If they can be caught at it it would seem solid proof of a criminal conspiracy, even intent to murder. If it is Browne-Cow, cut her a new cakehole, Cathy. Whoever it is is sick and will hurt/kill eventually.

If it is a rival of the bank then Sir Daddy will be forced to give Cathy and family around the clock protection, which I am amazed he has not yet todate and I don't mean a strong deoderant.

That Simon figured out about the planted cameras and how to use them to their advantage shows he''s no male bimbo, he just acts like one to fool people. Simon, you may say the stupidest things at times that hurt Cathy but she is so lucky you are hers.

John in Wauwatosa

P.S. Ang, did you sumgle any forgnine dormice back to England in your luggage?

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

So now the trap

is being set.....Although quite why Brown-Cow seems to want to finish off Cathy is quite beyond me

Okay so maybe getting her charming!!! daughter out of the girls school might have upset Brown-Cow ,But trying to kill Cathy does seem to be a little over the top!!!

Kirri

I think Simon's on the JAZZ

That's what folks said about George Pepard's character on the old TV show, "The A-Team".... He liked it when a plan came to gether too. :-)

I'd think a discrete call to PC Bond might be helpful as well... At least PC Bond knows Cathy's for real. Though, perhaps PC Bond got promoted - or is no longer working in the district.

Thanks,
Annette

P.S. I wonder if it's the guy that was out for her in the grocery shopping lot. He wasn't happy with Cathy, for sure...

If the cameras are so small...

...would it be possible to contrive a camera assembly on the bike somewhere? Admittedly you wouldn't normally expect to find saddle/post bags on a racing cycle, but if they were small and light enough to not substantially alter the weight balance of the bike, then there'd be cast iron evidence of 'naughty' motorists, wherever on Cathy's cycle route they happened to find her...

 
 
--Ben


This space intentionally left blank.

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Small Camera

I've seen things like this advertised in several places. A video and voice recorder competely built into a pen for surveillance purposes. They seem to be dirt-cheap these days, too. They might be toy-grade, but they're at least as good as what police and reporters had to work with a few years back. Something like this would have been beyond "Danger Man's" wildest dream. With a battery capacity of one to three hours, depending on the brand, that's the limit you'll hit long before you run out of memory. The one below claims 16 hours of video capacity. For $40. I should buy one just for a toy...

Obviously, if you wanted to mount it on a bike, you could toss the pen portion and strap the top to the head tube or something. Or, just clip on your clothing somewhere. (Be easier if you were wearing street clothes instead of racing skins, but i suppose you could tuck it in a waistband or neck opening.)

I'm not recommending either of these products, by the way, although I regularly buy stuff from the second company.

http://spypen.factoryoutletstore.com/?cid=11063&chid=1&gclid...

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=AV-PEN-4GB-NOMIC&cpc...

Cyclists in the UK

Angharad's picture

are using video cameras strapped to their helmets, especially when riding in places they expect to get trouble.

Angharad

Angharad

Cathy's going on as she is

Cathy's going on as she is will have everyone including Simon thinking she had her head whacked during the accident. She is being very funny tho. Janice Lynn

Cameras

So we think somewhat alike. Given the amount of weird stuff that has happened previous those camera are going to get a work out. They will likely need replacing a time or two, as they are taken out by special forces units (or whatever).

Woody, "Spy vs Spy vs Spy " was the latest

What you need to do to get aid from the coppers, Over here, they first would run the complainer, to see if they were a nutter, or just lonely.
Simon is helpful at times, isn't he. I wonder how the dueling spy cameras will turn out.

Cefin