0 Brother What Art Thou?

Printer-friendly version

O BROTHER WHAT ART THOU?
A young woman tries to cope with her little brother's weird obsession.
A brief, mostly autobiographical excercise in nostalgia...
by Laika Pupkino

.

I grew up in a three bedroom suburban ranch house in Long Beach, California. My birth had been unplanned and unexpected. I was what my parents called "their little accident", a term they used without malice, but also apparently without considering what this might tell me about my place in the world. Oh well, it was one little fuck up in an otherwise adequate job of parenting. And anyway, in those days people did not chose their words quite so carefully, deconstructing them for any potentially offensive nuance. They can't be held to our more enlightened standards...

Since my sister Carol was almost nine years older than me, we had few of the quarrels between us that a lot of brothers and sisters have. When I was born she was old enough to help take care of me, and she was delighted to have something more responsive than a dumb plastic doll to cuddle.

There was a time---when she was around thirteen---that she seemed to think I was just too strange to hang out with, like I was embarrassing to be seen with in front of her friends, which really hurt, but luckily this phase of hers was short lived.

And as I grew she became my mentor and role model, who always knew such grown-up stuff, like that The Beatles were a legitimate rock group while these Monkees were a pathetic commercial sham; and in years to come she would introduce me to sophisticated writers like Jack Kerouac, Henry Miller, Sylvia Plath- the whole sick crew.

When she turned sixteen and could drive, under the pretext of taking me down to the Foster Freeze for an ice cream we would get on the freeway in her bright red rebuilt Thunderbird and she'd slip on her driving gloves open it up to over 100 mph! This was just one of our nifty little secrets. Or we'd go to East L.A. on Saturday night and drive up and down Whittier Blvd. real slow with all the other owners of nice cars, scrunched down low in our seats, listening to Wolfman Jack on XERB and drinking RC cola with the bottles wrapped in brown paper bags. Like the song says, we had fun fun fun in that little T-Bird.

She was the best big sister a kid ever had, and in ways she never imagined I wanted to be just like her. Or did she?

One night we were talking in the bathroom while she put on her makeup for a date. As usual I was fascinated by the whole girly ritual.

She picked up a type of device that I had never seen before. You worked it like scizzors, but at the front end there was this crescent shaped metal frame containing a part that opened and closed like a sluice gate. It was an eyelash curler, but to me it looked like some arcane surgical instrument they would use on Dr. Kildare...

"What is that thing?" I asked.

"What's this? What's this?" she asked in a playfully menacing voice, snapping it open and shut in front of my nose.

I shrieked and dodged out of the way, "Yeah! What's that?"

She lunged at me, " It's a weenie-cutter-offer! And I'm gonna cut your weenie off and turn you into a little girl!!"

I screamed, and there was a mad chase all through the house, both of us whooping and laughing until our mother cornered us by the washer/dryer-

"What the hell are you kids doing? It sounds like a heard of buffalo running through here!"

"Sorry Mom, we were just playing," said my sister, in a way that seemed to invite Mom to put all the blame on her.

"Well simmer down, both of you! You know better than to get him worked up like that, Carol. It's almost his bed time..."

And in fact I was unusually worked up. This game had thrilled me in some profound way. I knew it wasn't really a weenie cutter-offer, but what if it was? And what if she caught me?!

The next time I was there when she did her face, she picked up on my hints and chased me with the device again, and ended up pinning me against the couch, where I giggled and squirmed until I almost peed.

After about the third time I think she was starting to worry. Of all our weird, quirky little games why had this one become important to me? Somehow it didn't seem right to her.

But Carol did enjoy seeing the delight I obviously took in it, so an unspoken compromise was reached. While most times she would tell me "Not now, I'm kind of in a hurry," or "I think you're getting a bit old for silly baby games..."; once in a while---usually when was I least expecting it---she would whip out the dreaded and coveted device and trot along after me, threatening to make my entire boy's wardrobe obsolete and start me on that new course in life that I was beginning to imagine, and covet.

Then one day she'd had her fill even of this. She sat me down and we had a "talk".

Meaning she talked. She said that she was worried about me, and even though Mom and Dad were so resistant to the whole notion of counselling and psychiatry, somehow or other I really needed to get some some kind of help!

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. My whole face burned with shame! I fled out the front door of the house we had inherited, got in my SUV, cranked up my XM radio full blast, and---crying uncontrollably---drove down to the Surfsider Tavern where I got drunker than I had ever been in my life.

.

.

~~~ much thanks to Pippa K. for her advice on this story! ~~~

up
74 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

What a mix

Andrea Lena's picture

Poignant, sarcastic, sardonic, sad, silly and a nice addition to your work here. Bravo, Pup!!!

She was born for all the wrong reasons but grew up for all the right ones.
Tutto il mio apprezzamento, cari, Andrea

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

I like it, but...

it seems to jump and confuses me. I think the story line has lots of potential. Please continue.

Hugs,
Trish-Ann
~There is no reality, only perception~

Hugs,
Trish Ann
~There is no reality, only perception~

Delightfully wacky

erin's picture

Read the ending carefully. :)

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

When Art Thou?

Cute/shocking little Twilight-Zone time jump at the end there. Besides being a bit of an attention-getter, it also piqued my curiosity, what with my unreasonable desire to put my own universe in some sort of linear order...

Much of the story takes place around age 7 or 8, certainly that's when the (not so?) silly "game" starts. Presumably, that's within a few years of the debut of the Monkees, which the 'nets tells us was in 1966. While the implication is that the 16-year-old Carol ran out of patience with this game within a year or less, it could have gone on a bit longer. Not too much longer. Carol was almost grown up, ready to move out of the house by then, which most people managed to do at that age in those years. Even if she stayed home to complete college as a commuter, she'd have moved on by the early 70's.

Which brings us to the timeframe of the last paragraph. Some three decades later. XM Satellite Radio (again, according to the 'nets) didn't start broadcasting until 2001.

I'm seeing two ways to look at this. And both of them give me a headache. Well done!

hey

kristina l s's picture

You're in ya twenties kid, buy your own weenie cutter.

Nice in a poignant sorta way. Kiddie games that struck a deep chord and still hold power years later. Funny and sad and all too often true unfortunately, ah well...

Kristina

This tale reeks...

...with the stench of truth. And this truth occurs far too often for too many people. A seemingly simple child's game has implications on so many levels for far longer than it should. I adore the way you told your tale. The 'jump' was magnificent because everything change except for the grown child's desires.

May You Continue to Bless Us With Your Words...

Lil' Kelly

Now That's Terror

joannebarbarella's picture

Curse of the weenie cutters, both feared and desired. Only you could make an eyelash curler into an instrument of salvation and retribution, Laika.

Of course time is elastic in such situations. A few seconds lasts for years and years, until you know enough to go and get drunk, when you know it's not that simple and it hurts ten times as much,
Joanne

Sisters, Sisters

What's the last line to that song --

And lord help the sister, who tells me to act like a man.

Although my sister was only four years older than me, I can relate. Unfortunately, your story's sister was probably right. Society makes it so that the many transgendered have a need for counseling. If the sister was saying, "You're a freak and need to be cured through counseling" - that's one thing. If she said, "You are who you are and will need help being yourself in a cruel society" I don't understand the power drinking.

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

I liked it

It's a fun story. Oh, with a little twist of tear, sure. But them are the best.
And all the more real. Thanks Laika.

Oh btw. The movie 'Oh brother where art thou' also is one of my all time fav's. I still vividly recall the KKK chanting: 'Ienie Mienie Mainie Moe'. :))

And George _is_ a sweetie... *sigh*

Oh well, thanks for a little reminiscing too then. :)

Jo-Anne

very interesting

I liked how the story ended. Sometimes hints are better than telling everything in gory detail.

Brilliant, as always

Space puppy, you are wonderful. I'm just catching up with your recent stories after a long time hanging out with Evi and not doing a lot of reading. Thanks for letting us imagine a bit of what made you so, uh, you. Hugs, Daphne

Daphne

Funny and penetrating

Emma Anne Tate's picture

Veronica, this was a beautiful short story. You captured the little brother’s feelings so beautifully, and then flipped to show just how defining those childhood experiences are to the people we become. Thank you!

Emma