Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 796.

Printer-friendly version
Wuthering Dormice
(aka Bike)
Part 796
by Angharad
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

I was eventually persuaded to go to bed and after taking a pill did sleep. According to the bedside clock, it was seven when I awoke and lay listening to the voices on the radio without actually hearing what they were saying. I stumbled into the shower and cleaned myself up, letting the water wash away my sadness.

I dressed in some stretch jeans and a long sleeved top with a fleece waistcoat thing on top and trainers on my feet. I wanted to be ready for action if it was necessary. Inside I felt a total void, but with my energy levels a little repaired by the rest, I was now capable of doing more than just crying to myself with self-pity.

I went down and found both the coppers fast asleep, she on the couch and he on the floor with a cushion under his head. I filled the kettle and shut a couple of cupboard doors rather noisily, giving them a chance to wake. The kettle boiled and I expected them to come and see what all the noise was, they didn’t. I stamped into the lounge and shouted at them, they didn’t move. I touched the face of the policewomen on the sofa, it was as cold as marble which made me gasp. She was dead. So was he. I couldn’t see how they’d been killed and I wasn’t sure I really wanted to know. The phone was dead again but there was a note attached to the inside of the front door.

’Go to your house in Bristol at once if you want to save the lives of your family. Tell no one and destroy this note.’

My heart told me to go at once, my head told me I’d perform better after some food and drink, it was a while since I’d eaten. So I made some toast and drank a cup of tea, then I grabbed a jacket, my handbag and the bow and quiver of arrows. I left the house unlocked, so the police wouldn’t have to break down the door again.

Slumped inside their car were two other coppers, this time I could see a row of holes across the windscreen and splashes of blood inside the car. I felt a shudder and loaded my stuff into the Golf and screamed out of the drive and off towards Bristol.

If they had killed four police officers whilst I slept, why didn’t they kill me or even abduct me. They knew I was in the house – they left a note for me. What were they after? How long before the police came looking for me? And what on earth were the Russians doing at my house in Bristol? I didn’t even know if they knew of it. I drove as quickly as I could without risking a speeding ticket or drawing attention to myself. Was I heading into a trap with no likelihood of backup? If I was, how could I best defend myself? I had the bow but that would be useless against guns and modern technology. Besides, I didn’t even know how many there were of them and I only had about eight arrows.

I thought about stopping at Asda on the way into Bristol and buying a strong kitchen knife which I could strap to my leg or tuck into my jeans, but decided against it. Then as I approached the retail park at Cribbs Causeway, I changed my mind and bought a set of chef’s knives and roll of clear tape. Back in the car, I taped a six inch knife to my leg and put another ready to stick down the back of my jeans. The rest went into the boot of the car under a blanket I keep in there and next to my bow. They were good stainless steel knives and had cost me a hundred pounds. If they had hurt any of my family, I would do my utmost to make them hurt too. My mood felt more clinical than angry. I wasn’t a psychopath, well not as far as I knew, I wasn’t, I was merely controlled, saving my anger until it might be useful – for the moment, I felt detached and calm, I was doing something, even if it was likely to end in disaster – at least I had tried.

I kept a pair of binoculars in the glove compartment, when I was out in the countryside, they came in useful for identifying birds and so on. I was beginning to form some sort of plan, if only I could get near enough the house. I had no idea who was on my side or if they were the enemy. Were Bill and Ben good or bad guys? If they were MI5, were they that incompetent or were they fakes? I couldn’t take a chance even if I met them again. Did they escort Simon, or merely trap him? I felt very wary of everyone except my family.

Were they alive or dead? If they were dead, I would kill as many of the Russians as I could before I died myself, or spend the rest of my days tracking them down and disposing of them. I would also spend my whole life trying to undermine anything Russian.

I stopped half a mile from my house and shoving the knife down the back of my jeans, pulled on my jacket to hide it. I put my bag on back and with my binoculars, I ran to a spot I knew where I could see the front of my house, a small hill which was left as a sort of wild park. Hiding behind a tree, I scanned the house for signs of life.
I couldn’t see anything, except the Mondeo was parked in the driveway. It didn’t necessarily mean anything.

I didn’t know what to do next and was still watching the house when a male voice behind me said, “Miss Watts, how nice to see you, so glad you could come.”

I spun around and faced the voice, it was one of the flowerpot men, Bill. “I’m not sure if I feel the same about you,” I spat back at him.

“Sorry you feel like that, but you need all the friends you can get.”

“If I have friends like you, I certainly won’t need enemies.”

“I can understand your anger, but we are on the same side, you know.”

“So how come they got Simon?”

“Ah, yes, most unfortunate. My colleagues in the escort got sidelined and he was snatched.”

“I thought you lot were supposed to be professionals?”

“Oh we are, dear lady. The problem is, so are they.”

“Gee thanks for telling me nothing.”

“I left you the note, inviting you to come up here.”

“Did you kill those police officers?”

“Kill cops? Me? Good lord no. That was one of their hit teams, it was meant to act as softener to you, frighten you a bit.”

“It had its desired effect.”

“Not surprised, a bit gross – but that’s Ruskies for you.”

“Why did they kill them?”

“It upsets the police and they tend to get careless when they’re after revenge. It also sends a message to everyone that they don’t mess around with this lot.”

“But the girl was only my age, and he wasn’t much older – it makes me feel angry.”

“Please control that emotion if you can, I need you to be calm if we are to have any chance of getting your family back alive.”

“You mean we have a chance?”

“As far as I know, they’re still alive, or were when they arrived last night.”

“How did you know where they’d go?”

“I didn’t, we followed them.”

“But no interception?”

“They are rather well armed and there are children present. I might not be James Bond, but that also applies to my sense of morality – he’s a cold blooded killer, I’m not.”

“Right now I feel I could do with him,” I said quietly.

“To make love to you or kill the bad guys?”

“What do you think?”

“I don’t know, Miss Watts, but I suspect to get the bad guys.”

“As the first priority, yes.”

“Miss Watts, you shock me.”

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
146 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Sniff Test

Bill fails it.

The Thot Plickens...

By the pace, at least one more chapter before Cathy does the Kill Bill thing...

Jenna

Too Many Variables, Here

Is Cathy with a double agent? Cathy needs the fictional Bond because he trounces the bad guys, and as a ladies man, can give her some comfort, too. But he also will not take advantage of Cathy. He is after all, an officer and a gentleman.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

In the absense of

James Bond, Will Cathy become Jane Bond and do what the police and MI5 have not managed so far and rescue single-handed her family?.... Past experience suggests she might!

As to Bill, Yes it does all seem a little too perfect!!!...Better watch your back Cathy!

Kirri

MI5

MI5 staff are not officers and not gentleman they will do what ever best suit their needs for king and country and that includes sacifricing their own countrymen including the general public. Spies are spies and that is how many of them operate. I have read many non fiction novels on how the various spy agencies work and have met many that were former military black ops which either worked for the CIA or US National Security Agency.

If they think Cathy will hinder their work then bye bye Cathy. She needs to contact Henry and find some ex SAS soldiers which is her best bet to not depend on the MI5 because she will end up owing them in the future and guranteed to collect on the debt. The russians know all the standard maneuvers the police and MI5 use that is why she needs ex SAS because they have generally do not follow the rules which the Russians are not expecting.

Hugs,
Jenna From FL
Moderator/Editor
TopShelf BigCloset

Hugs,
Jenna From FL
Moderator/Editor
TopShelf BigCloset
It is a long road ahead but I will finally become who I should be.

Funny, but Cathy was just wondering

She was discovered very quickly, wasn't she? The question on everyone's mind is "can she trust this Bill?".

Whether she does or doesn't, it still remains how she'll deal with her collection of weapons while he's around. Does he have the IQ to detect the knives Cathy has on her or the bow in the back of her car?

PB

Do we trust this guy at all?

I think not. Afraid cathy's better off going it alone after doing something about Bill.

Bill is somewhat like the

Bill is somewhat like the sound of one hand clapping, kinda hard to believe. I believe he is a double agent and if he left the note for Cathy, then he knew the police officers were dead, yet he failed to notify anyone in authority. Watch your "six", Cathy.
Jan

Some folks like to play....

with people's minds... Not sure if it's the author, or the characters in the story, or both...

But, things be interesting.

Thanks,
Annette

Very suspicious

In TV/film situations like these, it's the perpetrators who leave a "come to us, don't tell anyone and destroy this note" message.

After all, without the note, Cathy wouldn't have any idea where her children were and would probably have called Henry (if she has a mobile) or called in at the local police station. I also have to wonder what happened to the rest of the plod - did they disappear once the house had been identified as empty, leaving her with just a pair of 'em for protection, thinking the Ruskies wouldn't dare return?
If (as we suspect) Bill isn't part of MI5, what the hell are they playing at?

 
--Ben
 
P.S. It wouldn't surprise me if Angharad is sneaky enough to continue the suspense and not resolve the situation until part 800...
P.P.S. Did anyone else notice this episode is mistakenly numbered 896? Not in the title block, above there in the story title and URL...
(Present at midnight, corrected by 00:40)


This space intentionally left blank.

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Reconnoiter!

It's strange that Bill would be waiting for Cathy on this hill, even if he is MI5. How would he know she would stop there unless she was followed from Portsmouth. If MI5 was on the ball, none of this would have happened. I assume MI5 has a clue as to how the Russians work and what to expect. Based on their track record, I'd rather have Charlie Chaplain, Benny Hill or the Keystone Cops on security duty.

You can't make a rescue plan without Intelligence about who and where you are going to attack. Obviously, MI5 is not intelligent. Cathy is going to have to determine just whose side Bill is on and then act appropriately. His note effectively isolated Cathy. Having people follow instructions like that is done in kidnap and ransom cases. The Mondeo could be a decoy for Cathy. I think Cathy should be ready to skewer Bill on principle until more proof is obtained as to his true loyalty.

Another option, is Tom decided to take the Family to Bristol for safety fearing Cathy was caught as she was detained over night by the idiot police. Under this scenario, Bill is a bad guy and looking to dupe Cathy into helping him and the Russians. The Russians could have broken in after they left.

Nice episode, I'll impatiently wait for the rest of the story.

Hugs,
Trish-Ann
~There is no reality, only perception~

Hugs,
Trish Ann
~There is no reality, only perception~

No root cellar then? :(

Well, she was very predictable, but they did not know that she did not call someone whilst she was buying the knives. Tracking device on her car? I don't trust the man who met her. This is all looking rather dismal isn't it?

I think I may have written the only story for BCTS where the woman actually gets properly married. :(

Khadijah

Hey, I wrote a story...

about a wedding... And another story (or two or so) about married couples!

Like most everyone else, I

Like most everyone else, I don't trust Bill. I expect Cathy will have to ditch him somehow and rescue her family on her own.

You're outdoing yourself with these cliffhangers Angharad! ;)

Saless 


Kittyhawk"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Bill

You have to wonder how much history he really knows. If he knows enough he knows Cathy will kill quickly and cry later. She is probably deadlier than he is, as she has had practice.

Paparazzi where are they when you need them ?

Did not expect that, Where were you taught to be so perverse ? four coppers dead. The MI5 agent followed them to Bristol, but failed to call for backup ?

Cefin