An Ode To A Mentor

Printer-friendly version
erin-beach.jpg
An Ode To A Mentor

 
You look into the sea, imagining a place where the hurt could finally drift away. But yet, after so many years, it is as fresh as the first day. There are many things that can get a person down. The most painful of which is the reminder of the loss.

You come to this place, to be reminded of the days when you weren't alone. And it does help, in a way. Like a draught from a cool fountain, it cools your mind, renews your spirit, sates your parched soul.

Many of us have been where you are, I dare say many of us are still there. Losing the one that has helped define you, given you meaning, given you love - it is something that cannot be replaced. I am here to tell you that it is impossible to replace that loss.

But I am also here to say, one must go on despite this. Many think of this as a defining moment, for it is here where the heart is shaped and strengthed by this crucible. It is bitter comfort - that oft-quoted line which goes, "that which does not kill us makes us stronger." But there is truth in that, though you are loathe to hear it now.

One needs to be brave to continue on, as you have. But in our world where everyone is expected to be the best that she can be, being brave is thought of as Nothing special, for we are surrounded with examples, of paragons of the past that have weathered such loss. Monuments to them are erected, books written, songs sung. And though from years of being read, of being sung, such monuments become trite and commonplace. And we are only reminded of their greatness only when we need such bravery again.

In the intervening years, people have come to know you, and even rely upon you. And there are a few that take you for granted. Believe me, these few do not mean to, as they too rely on you. You show your mettle when you handle such things with grace and style. And no one blames you if you get fed up from time to time with the nonsense of the day-to-day grind. In the days and months and years past, many have come to think of you as a friend. Indeed even those such as I who you don't know from Adam already think of you as a friend, too.

Look to the sea, dear heart, and think of the good days, but lest you make the mistake of thinking you are alone, look behind you, and you will see us, all of us, behind you. Whether or not you like it, I am afraid you never will be alone again.

Your monument, your book, your song is this wonderful thing you have created. It will live on, if we have anything to say about it, long into the future. Please let us continue the legacy.

Turn around and look to us, dear heart. We will be there.

We will be there.

to erin, november 2009

 
 
bobbie-signature3.png

 
 

up
82 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

How sweet and tender and kind...

Andrea Lena's picture

...your tribute to a special lady, by a sweet girl, has blessed us as well. Thank you.


She was born for all the wrong reasons but grew up for all the right ones.
Possa Dio riccamente vi benedica, tutto il mio amore, Andrea

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

I am so sorry

I was only thinking of stopping the pain :(

im sorry

We all feel like that.....

...from time to time, when the load becomes wearisome and the darkness overwhelms the light - but there is always tomorrow and you are never as alone as you think you are.
Be Well, Blessings Be upon you
Beannachd Leibh

The nature of Monkey is - Irrepressible!!!

The nature of Monkey is - Irrepressible!!!