Sk8r Grrls Ch 02 b : Discussion # 01

Printer-friendly version


Sk8r Grrls - SURGE project, Extra Content! Reader Discussion Number 1!
Edeyn Hannah Blackeney's
Sk8r Grrls
Extra Content
 
Reader Discussion #1
What is Annie's Full Name?

(Art by Heather Rose Brown)


Alright, it has come to my attention, thanks to a few querulous readers that Annie doesn't have a name.

That is, 'Allie' is short for Allison, and 'Andy' was short for Andrew...

What the heck is 'Annie' short for?

Please discuss and suggest! Reader input is a good thing!

up
58 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Possibly much too deep of a suggestion...

From what I can tell, Annie is very smart (in addition to being very athletic). Taking the "death" of Annie that has to happen every night (so far), I'll go with Annie's full name as Annabel Lee Wilson. (The only part that wouldn't fit would be the part of being by the sea, or a body of water even, but maybe the Wilsons just moved from being by a body of water? I know, I'm reaching here ...)

There is a River in Constitution

But that's a bit morbid for the flavour of the story -- especially the "Jink" line when it splits around
Chapter 15.

Isn't Annie is a nickname

Brooke Erickson's picture

Isn't Annie is a nickname for Ann?

And I figured on some parallel to Raggedy Andy and Raggedy Ann.

Finally, Annie/Andy makes slips of the tongue less of a problem.

Brooke brooke at shadowgard dot com
http://brooke.shadowgard.com/
Girls will be boys, and boys will be girls
It's a mixed up, muddled up, shook up world
"Lola", the Kinks

Hee!

Yeah, the Raggedy Ann/Raggedy Andy thing is something I've thought of, but ... she needs a full name. You know, for when she's naughty, so's her mom and dad can yell at her! :)

Yes it is

Athena N's picture

Annie is indeed usually considered a diminutive / pet / nickname form of Ann, which in turn has been pretty popular for the last couple of millennia by virtue of having been the name of Christ's granny. It's perfectly fine as it is -- although for someone like me, on the eastern side of the Atlantic, the idea that it's a contraction of a longer name sounds somehow very American.

This of course is the correct nationality. Still, I'd suggest keeping the first name as either Annie or Ann / Anna / Anne. If you need a longer name for special occasions, a second given name should do well enough.

Is it too late to chime in?

"Still, I'd suggest keeping the first name as either Annie or Ann / Anna / Anne."

Maybe Annie is short for "Anne-with-an-E?" ;)

I like Annabel too. Annabel Lee is a bit morbid for this story, but for whatever reason that's what immediately popped into my head when Edeyn asked what Annie was short for. Something about that name seems to resonate with some of us for some reason.

Maybe a poll?

Maybe one of these extras in a chapter or three needs to be a poll getting people's opinions of what it needs to be?

That'd be fun!

There are a lot of options that 'Annie' could be short for. Heck, you could even say it's a less common way to shorten "Roseanne" if you wanted to, and it would make sense that Annie would want her name to be as detached from her old male name as possible while still having an easy to remember/answer version. Or it could even be her middle name instead of her first, which would give you the option of just about any name you wanted.

Melanie E.

No. Won't fit.

Full name - Anastasia
Most common (the only one I know of) short name - Nastya
Mind you, it is not a rare name in Russia.

Faraway

On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Anastasia

Well, here are the ways that I've heard it shortened:

  • Anya
  • Stacy
  • Nastya
  • Ana
  • Stasia
  • Asia
  • Sieya

From most common to least

Annie's name

If she/he likes anime, how about Annie Mai?

Mai is a Swedish name, from the name Margaret and Mary.
Margaret - A Pearl.
Mary - Hebrew: Bitter, as in a bitterly wanted child.
Latin: The star of the sea.

Boys will be girls... if they're lucky!

Jennifer Sue

Boys will be girls... if they're lucky!

Jennifer Sue

Well...

Andrew is the Anglicized version of Andreas. So Andrea would make sense as Annie's name.

Eric

Yes, that does make sense...

...and who am I to suggest it's clichéd to use the feminine version of one's birth name? It's how I got my middle name after all.

Erin Michelle ;)

I think that

Annabel (BG27's suggestion) is the best one so far, but not Annabel Lee, please! Too, too sad. Poe was always so sad when he wasn't being down-right scary. One of my favorite writers, ever.

So, yes to Annabel, but leave off the Lee, please.

SuZie

SuZie

Annie is a dimunitive of Anne or Ann

Andrea Lena's picture

...which itself is an Anglicized version of the name Hannah. Hannah is from the Hebrew Chanah, which means to bend down, almost to lower oneself. It's used as an name in some families and religions as a means of expressing God's grace..as in God bends down to care for us. Now what it means in the context of the story? Annie could just be a nice name for a girl, nothing more or less.

She was born for all the wrong reasons but grew up for all the right ones.
Possa Dio riccamente vi benedica, tutto il mio amore, Andrea

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena