Down to Earth - Part 5

Printer-friendly version
Hope Restored

By Andrea Lena DiMaggio

Thus far: Three women, centuries old and practitioners of Draihoidel, the old arts, have come along side a girl in desperate need of understanding and encouragement. Each has taken the form of a mortal who will influence three mortals close to the girl. The fourth member of the group, the girl’s brother, and a practitioner of the old arts for only a few days, has made the choice to identify with his sister; the boy who would be a girl, by becoming a transgender teen, of sorts. The women have been successful in bringing enlightenment to their charges, which in turn would enable them to help the girl as well.

As Breena and Janey were reconciling, above the garage in Paddy's bedroom, another change was about to take place.

"I'm not so sure about this after all." Mike said to his sister, looking in the mirror. His already too-long hair (according to his aunt) was thickened with mousse and styled in a somewhat androgynous manner. That would have been difficult enough to take, if it weren't for the fact that the hair framed a pretty face, adorned with just a hint of mascara, some eye shadow, and lip gloss that matched his dark maroon fingernails. His ears sported two hoops, each, which took the place of his normal studs. He wore a dark maroon tee under a long coat-sweater borrowed from his aunt's closet, hip length and dark gray. A blue denim knee length skirt covered light gray leggings and nearly reached the dark brown knee-length boots. He was at least glad that they had manageable one-inch heels.

Paddy was clad in a Navy blue tee-shirt, covered by a dark green brocade waist length jacket. She wore a calf-length charcoal corduroy skirt along with boots that matched her new "sister" Michelle. Her hair was done similar to Michelle's and she wore very little make up as well, owing more to her own taste than to any concern about how she would be received. Paddy remembered the talk she and Michelle had the night before

_______________________________________

"It really doesn't make any difference anymore," Mike said as he looked at his brother standing in the bedroom doorway wearing the same mint green nightgown she had come to treasure above everything else she owned.

"Easy for you to say, Mike...you've never had to deal with this...ever. Everybody likes you. What would you know about ridicule...how many times have you been embarrassed. I know what you're saying, but since you're one of the people who made me feel so bad, what's so different now?"

Paddy's words pierced him like darts as Mike remembered with great shame his own participation in the persecution of his brother. They stung mostly because they were true, but also because he felt Paddy's pain as he spoke them. It was time to show him...her how much he cared, and what he was prepared to do to demonstrate his love for his bro...His sister.

"You've got every right to be angry; I don't blame you if you don't trust me. After what I did, why would you?" Mike looked in Paddy's eyes, and noticed she was crying softly, but at that moment, his own eyes began to tear up, and he said, quietly, but with as much conviction as he could muster,

"I'm sorry, Paddy...I can't make up for the past...I was wrong, and I am so sorry for that." He reached over and pulled a reluctant Paddy into an uncomfortable hug. With gentle hands he stroked his sister's hair. And he kissed her cheeks, a gesture he had never done for anyone, ever. Paddy began to weep as the gulf between them narrowed.

"I want to be here for you, and there's only one way I can figure that will work...that old saying about walking a mile in someone's shoes. I already know that part of me is more than just your brother. I'm learning more about who I am, and that includes a big sister you never knew you had. Hell, I didn't even know her...my name until yesterday. This is all new to me, and I'm so fucking confused right now, but you're my baby sister...yes I said it finally. I am so fucking sorry I treated you this way, and this is the only way I know to make it up...if you'll let me." He could hardly hear Paddy sobbing as he found himself buried in his sister's shoulder, crying almost as hard.

A voice came from downstairs.

"Michael Kevin McCarthy, if you're teasin' that sweet child again, there'll be hell to pay!" Breena shouted from the kitchen, hearing the crying from upstairs.

Mike was about to speak when Paddy shouted,

"It's okay, Aunt Breena...we're doin' okay. It's a show on TV," Paddy said as she smiled with an impish grin and held her finger to her lips.

Both siblings held while trying not to cry too hard, since nobody but them would believe the change that had come over Michael.

"So tomorrow, after school," Mike said softly, "You and me, right here, and you get to meet your sister Michelle for real, nothing held back. Full rein, okay?"

For the first time in their lives, even though Mike was taller than Paddy by more than a few inches, they saw eye to eye. Mike did one more thing that surprised even himself, but later would remember it as the best moment in his life. He pulled Paddy close to him once again and kissed her on the cheek and said softly, trying hard without success not to start crying again,

"I love you so much, Paddy, more than I can say. I'm so glad I blessed with a sister like you,” Mike didn't know much Gaelic, only what he picked up from Breena, but he had looked it up and said it with conviction. ádhraá­m thẠdeirfiur, mo bhuachaill a mo chroi....I adore you sister, my darling and my heart."

______________________________________________

Finished with their preparations, they got ready to meet the world together. The boys…girls came down the stairs, only to be greeted by a sight they had been hoping for but sadly grew weary of expecting. Their mother was sitting on the couch, her sister Breena at the feet as Janey stroked her hair. A nice looking woman stood next to their mother; hand on Janey’s shoulder rubbing it softly.

“Mom,” Mike yelled, completely forgetting how he and Paddy were dressed. He and Paddy rushed to their mother’s sides. Breena stood up and looked at the two of them, dressed as they were and was about to say something when Esther waved “no” to her. Breena looked at the boys and back at her sister sitting on the couch. She smiled and nodded.

Janey beheld her children for the first time in nearly a year. She didn’t seem surprised by their attire, and smiled and opened her arms, welcoming them.

“Mommy” Paddy said as she burst into tears and wept into her mother’s breast. Mike kissed his mother’s cheek, tasting the salt of her tears and blessing God for answering his and Paddy’s prayers.

“I knew I’d been missin’ a lot around here, but it seems I’ve been missin’ quite a lot.” She kissed Paddy on the top of the head and drew Mike in for a kiss as well.

“Mom….I….” Mike was at a loss for words. Moments before, in the bedroom getting ready, he felt entirely confident that becoming Michelle was the right thing to do…if only for Paddy’s sake. But now, in front of his mother and aunt and a stranger, he felt sorely out of place and ashamed.

His mother took her hand and put it to his cheek and said softly,

“And here’s my other daughter…as sweet as the mornin’ dew, with her sweet sister at her side. What more could a mother ask for as a greetin’?” She pulled Mike closer and wept into his sweater.

“I’m so sorry for all of this…Breena’s been so good, but it wasn’t her job…it wasn’t her duty….” She hated both words since Breena’s care for her children wasn’t a job or a duty; it had been a privilege and an honor, something even Breena had only just begun to understand.

It was Breena who gave the trio the leave they needed to put things aside. All three wanted so desperately for everything to be okay. It would be, albeit with tragic yet wonderful results very soon.

“I think we all know that we’ve each done something we could stand forgivin’ for, yes? And I think it’s safe to assume that we all love each other? Janey, you and I have got a lot of talkin’ to do, and the boys are part of that. As you can see, like you said, a lot of changes since you’ve been here last.”

Mike and Paddy grew uncomfortable at Breena’s observation until she added,

She pointed to the setter sitting at their feet, tail wagging, and said,

“Just look at Neddie there, a pup when you were here last and now twice as big and eatin’ like a horse.”

Esther stepped back, feeling a sense of relief. This part of their task was coming together. She wondered how the children would take the news of their mother’s illness and soon expected death, but that would be something to deal with tomorrow. Today, Esther, or rather Calleigh as she would have appeared to any other mortal at that moment, was glad that the child had her mother home and her brother’s support. She wondered how Orla and Fiona were doing with their tasks, but was confident that they were doing well

_____________________________________________________

Dan stood on the front step, too scared to move. He was interrupted when Trudy opened the door.

"I heard you drive up...I missed you so much." She smiled with a smile that almost always brought Dan peace and gratitude. Her smile did nothing to mitigate the fear he harbored, wondering if this conversation would be the one thing that drove them apart. He kept remembering what Fiona said about trusting Trudy's love, but nothing seemed to matter at that moment.

She had moved away from the door, giving him room to step inside. It had started to drizzle, and his face was already covered with raindrops, which was good from his perspective, since they masked the tears streaming down his face. He might as well have stood there in sunshine, since his expression betrayed his mood anyway.

"Honey, what's wrong...what happened? Did I do something? What's wrong?' She smiled softly but furrowed her brow with a concerned look, prompting him to turn his face toward the door. She approached him and reached up and grabbed his hand; yes, reached up. He turned back and she had tears in her eyes. They had been together long enough for her recognize his pain and sadness, despite his efforts to hide his feelings. He squatted down to face her, steadying himself by grabbing the armrests of her wheelchair. How much more could she, should she endure. He blinked out tears as he remembered their wedding day.

__________________________________________

Dan couldn’t believe he was in a room alone with a girl…the girl…the girl he married. He sat on the bed, his tux jacket thrown casually on the chair across the room. Trudy was in the bathroom getting ready for their first night together. He could hear her singing over the sound of water running.

“I’m getting a bath ready for you, honey.” She was so thoughtful. He wanted to be strong, but tears came to his eyes. She was getting ready for a night which to her would be difficult and painful in so many ways. He blinked out his tears as he heard her turn the faucet off.

“Come on in,” She said, her voice almost melodic. “Everything is all set.”

He stood up and took a deep breath, not knowing what to expect. She had been in the passenger seat of the car her ex had driven into a light post on the interstate after a drunken rage. He had forced her into the car, and when it was all over, she was left partially paralyzed from the waist down, and her ex was in jail. She would never walk again, and so many other things had changed. Relations with her would be challenging, but it didn’t matter…he loved her so much, more perhaps than anyone he ever had known.

He opened the door, and was greeted with a surprise. She had managed to lower herself into the tub, and was waiting for him, in her “birthday suit” she had teased. And she was the most beautiful sight he had ever seen.

“Come on in,” she laughed. “The water’s fine.” She patted the edge of the tub and smiled again.
He looked at her and thought to himself, “What did I do to deserve her? Dear God, she’s beautiful.”

A while later, they lay together in bed, partially covered by the blankets, warm with each other’s bodies. Dan laid back and looked up at the ceiling. He wanted to be honest with her…he owed her that much. Nothing could have prepared him for what she said next.

"I love you, no matter what. I know you love me the same way...I was damaged goods when we met, and you waited until I got over my pain. You let me walk through my healing after the divorce without asking, without questioning my past, but I knew if I told you the things I had done you would have loved me just the same.”

The marriage hadn’t been all sweetness and light from her side…she and her ex had gotten married right out of high school, and neither was mature enough to handle it. Mistakes and hurts were made from both sides, but she had changed when she was hurt. Almost like when other senses become keener when someone loses their sight or hearing. She had become sensitive and caring and selfless after her paralysis. Her heart is what had drawn them together. And she loved him more than life itself.

“No matter what, you can tell me anything...anything, and none of it will matter because I love you. If you can't tell me or there's nothing to tell, fine. But if you ever need me to listen, I'm your girl. I thank God for second chances, and you are my second chance. So no secrets, okay? I love you."

____________________________________________

“Dan…honey…what’s wrong?” Her sweet voice brought him back to the present, but he remembered those words…”No secrets.”

He walked over and sat down on the couch, put his head in his hands and began to cry. She wheeled over to him and began stroking his hair.

“Honey…it’s okay…whatever it is…I know we’ll be just fine."

“It’ll never be fine.” He was filled with so much guilt at that point, almost nothing would change his feelings about himself.

He spoke almost haltingly, barely getting the words out as he choked back sobs.

“You….you were so…you said…you felt that you couldn’t….but you did….you have been so….wonderful….best thing ever for me….let you down…”

“Dan…honey….you’ve never let me down….never…..I love you….God blessed me with you….you are my love…..honey….what’s wrong.” Trudy knew by his expression that he felt he couldn’t tell her, whatever it was. She placed both hands on his face and lifted it to meet her gaze as her own tears matched his.

“I said before and I will say it ‘til I die. I love you no matter what.” She stroked his cheeks and then took his hands in hers and kissed them, gently, softly, like she was blessing him.

“Dan…tell me honey…it’ll be okay.”

And it was…he told her everything…from the first time he dressed in his mother’s clothes. He wanted to be just like her. The times he would dress to feel good and safe and sweet, wanting so much to be innocent but feeling so guilty and ashamed He told her through sobs of the times he dressed to thrill and satisfy, wanting so much to feel wanted and fulfilled but feeling dirty and cheap instead. He cried as he told her of the hold the secret had, and he wept in her arms as he asked forgiveness for lying to her for so long.

Trudy wept with him. She didn’t understand, but she almost did, in a way. There had been tentativeness in their intimacy that wasn’t just because of her own limitations. He had shared with her after seeing his counselor one time that he never felt secure in his male identity, and this revelation helped make sense of that. She didn’t feel that he wasn’t “manly” enough; she had no complaints and loved who he was. She always felt there was “more” to him, and this helped her understand if only somewhat. And she spoke these few freeing words.

“I forgive you…I’m hurt that you didn’t trust me to begin with…your heart.” She kissed him lightly on the cheek and once quickly on the lips before continuing.

“Are you going to be alright?” Even In the midst of her own hurt; her first thought was for him, and her love for him. He nodded and she asked the next question softly, not as a curious query, but an earnest desire to know him more.”

“Sweetheart….what’s her name?”

He looked up at her with a half-sad, half-relieved expression; not believing what he had just heard. She smiled sweetly and asked once again, as if he hadn’t heard, but knowing he had.

“What’s her name?” She said again softly as she stroked his hair.

He took a deep breath and said, softly, almost as if she were speaking for the first time, which she was, actually,

“My name is Diane…Diane Marie Lambert.” The voice said it softly, pronouncing her last name “Lahm-bear.”

Next: Renewal

up
43 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Drea...Dear... You've done

Drea...Dear...

You've done it yet again!!! Another emotionally colorfull chapter of this wonderfull tale. Keep them coming...pleeeze!

Your Lil' Irish Brat :D

emotional dividends

laika's picture

It's that time again, characters reaching a point of honesty, acceptance, healing. Always rewarding, maybe especially for readers with burnt bridges and lost opportunities. (Is it to late to add a segment about a crass, oblivious, misogynistic plumber and a hopelessly closeted t.g. recluse?)
~~love you THIS MUCH! Laika

As always,

ALISON

'I can feel your warmth and feeling.Soooooo good!!Don't
stop,Andrea.Hugs,hugs and more hugs.Alison

ALISON

As Always, 'Drea.

True Love conquers, True Love accepts. Thank you for another great story.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Heard That Name Before

joannebarbarella's picture

Diane Lambert? Now where did I hear that before? Very appropriate to Dan's situation,'Drea. You can really wring out the emotions,
Joanne

Hope Restored...

Quite a lovely little story really...very emotional and very touching. Dimaggio...Black Irish??? Your Gaelic is not bad. It's country Gaelic...from the North? Will there be more of this fine stuff?

Mea... ;)

Between the help of a dear friend...

Andrea Lena's picture

....a little bit of help from the internet, and a smattering of knowledge, I'm hopeful to convey that sense of connection. I'm part McDonald, Scots-Irish actually...My great-grandparents came from County Clarow, and I married into a huge Irish family as well. Thank you, and yes...the story itself is about to conclude, but I expect the Women might pop in now and then to help us mortals, yes?
I'm actually listening to the soundtrack to Far and Away, so I'm feeling more connected at the moment to old country. Clan DiMaggio originated in the southernmost part of Ireland; that island which lies in the Mediterranean Sea just south of Italy, so Black Irish? Aye!
She was born for all the wrong reasons but grew up for all the right ones.
Possa Dio riccamente vi benedica, tutto il mio amore, Andrea

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena