Cynthia and the Dumpster Diver - Chapter 7

Printer-friendly version
Cynthia and the Dumpster Diver
Chapter 7

By Portia Bennett

Bobbie and Cindy’s fears are confirmed by their parents and the doctors. Randy is moved into the Lewis’s guestroom and made as comfortable as he can hope to be. The two families are going to meet with The Wizard in his shop. What could possibly go wrong? In The Wizard’s shop; just about anything. The two families witness several transformations.


 

I have researched the Spell’s—R-Us Universe diligently and cannot find anything that violates it, other than that The Wizard is a bit kinder and gentler than sometimes reported. Don’t get me wrong. Given an opening and The Wizard could resort to some of his more ironic and nasty transformations. I’m sure that could happen at any time.

My thanks must go to Holly H. Hart for taking time once again from her harried life to correct the multitude of errors made while creating this story. She is a dear.

This work is copyrighted by the author and any publication or distribution without the written consent of the author is strictly prohibited. This is a work of fiction. Any resemblance of the characters to persons living or dead is coincidental.


 

Chapter 7

 

“I’m afraid we have some bad news,” Stan said as they entered the highway for the drive home. “I also think you already know what I’m going to tell you.

“Randy is very sick. He has a month, at most, to live. Even if he could get a kidney transplant and they could fix his liver, there is nothing they can do about the tumor in his brain. That’s where the voices are coming from. It seems to be centered in the auditory area of the brain. The doctor says it is inoperable and there is no way they can get it out without leaving him a vegetable.

“They are going to continue his dialysis and try to treat the liver infection. They can give him drugs to reduce his anxiety and they will be able to control the pain, but the bottom line is he is going to die.

“We know, Daddy. Bobbie could see it. We’ve got to get The Wizard to fix him and then do the other ‘thing’.”

“There’s something else. The VA will probably discharge him early next week. They can’t verify his service time. It’s going to be just like we thought it would be. So this is what we are going to do.

“We’re going to put Randy in the guest room. We can afford to take care of him and make him comfortable until whatever happens, happens. He’ll have to have dialysis every few days, and he will need a lot of medication. At least he can be comfortable. They doctor says that as long as he takes the medication, the paranoia should be minimal. Knowing what has happened over the last year makes me believe that he may not be nearly as paranoid as the doctors feel. I think the best thing we can do is to give him some hope.

“Do you think His Wisdom can do anything to help?”

“Daddy, that’s wonderful that we are taking him in and trying to make him comfortable, but it might be difficult to keep him there. Knowing how he sometimes thinks, he might just get up and leave. He can’t be a prisoner and I guess he can do whatever he wants. I just wish we could do what we need to very soon. It’s time that Randy lived the way he was meant to.

“The Wizard said we had to find out as much as we could about what happened to get him here. He’s going to be in the mall next week and he thought we should meet in his shop. He wants you to see it. I think he’s rather proud of it.”

Just as they thought, Randy was discharged the following Tuesday. The medical staff recommended a local medical facility where Randy could continue to get dialysis treatment. His liver had responded very well to medication and the doctors were encouraged about that. They were not encouraged about the brain tumor and said it would be only a matter of time. He was given prescriptions for a plethora of medications that should help keep him comfortable. They also had the name of a local hospice organization to contact when Randy’s time drew near.

Randy seemed to understand the seriousness of his situation; however, he held out hope that his ‘angels’ could come up with something. He had some trouble at first with moving into the ‘same’ house he had spent part of his youth in. He looked around at the place that was so familiar and yet so different.

“I know this isn’t the same place, but so much of it is nearly the same. Look at the marks on the doorway over there. They’re the marks showing how Cindy and Tom are growing. In my house, it was me and my younger brother and sister who got measured, and we put the marks on the same place. That beaver pond at the bottom of the hill is the same. My friends and me used to build a toboggan run down there in the winter. Our parents got real mad when we ran it across the ice. That stupid Freddy Smith almost drowned down there.”

“That’s scary,” Cindy mused, “so did I. I tried to save Maddy and went through the ice.”

Maddy was riding on Randy’s shoulders at the time, curled around his neck. “That’s the first thing I remember. Cindy grabbed me and threw me away from the open water. I didn’t see her for a long time, and then she came home, I knew it was her. I’m a cat, but I knew that Cindy and I were connected. It was a while before I realized that I was different from most other cats. I don’t remember my mother and I don’t remember my litter mates. I must have had them, but I don’t remember them.”

Randy had no problem at all carrying around a talking cat, one who did have a pretty high opinion of herself. She delighted in entertaining him with her ability to move small, light weight objects without touching them. Randy was very weak, but he and Mandy could play for hours with a paper wad. He would hide it somewhere and she would try to find it. He didn’t realize it at the time, but he was helping her develop her levitation and other skills.

Maddy found that she liked Randy very much, and it disturbed her that he might die very soon. She could sense when his medication was beginning to lose effect, and she would remind him to take the next dose.

It became obvious that Randy was not going to get better. They would take him into the clinic for dialysis and the clinic personnel would also check the hepatic drain. Things were looking better in that area as Randy’s color was gradually getting to be more toward normal. Cindy realized that beneath all the dirt and unshaven face, Randy definitely had a yellow tint. It was now less pronounced. On the negative side, there was definitely a tremor that was becoming more and more pronounced. The meds would help, but as they began to wear down, his hands would start to shake more and more. It was definitely getting worse.

~~~~~*~~~~~~

“Before we go in, I need to tell you some things. First and foremost, don’t touch anything; don’t play with anything; and when other customers come in, just be quiet. Above all, unless The Wizard gives it to you, don’t eat anything.” Cindy was trying her best to warn everyone that the Spells-R-Us shop was a very dangerous place for the uninitiated.

“Usually, if expected customers come in, they won’t notice anything that was not meant for them to see. His Wisdom is expecting a brother and sister to come in. He said he wanted everyone to witness what was going to happen. Bobbie, Daddy and Mr. Schmedlap have seen them before. The sister is a well known dancer at the Kandy Kane Klub. She has sacrificed her life for her brother. Now things are going to be made right.”

The shop was in the place of the Hallmark Shop; the place where all the wonderful things that had happened to Cindy and Bobbie had started. Everyone, even Cindy looked around in awe in the cramped old store. Randy was in a wheel chair; he never could have made the walk from the parking lot to the store.

The wolf stood up from his usual resting place and walked up to the group while wagging his tail. He almost climbed into Randy’s lap while giving him a big slurpy kiss that seemed to be his specialty.

“Just make yourself at home, folks. I have a couple of things to do back here before my customers arrive,” The Wizard’s voice came from the back room.

Maddy had ridden in Marissa’s purse and she jumped out and approached the wolf. She had met him at the Schmedlap’s old home, but hadn’t spent anytime with him since. The wolf reached out with a heavy paw in sort of a greeting and knocked Maddy sprawling. “Watch it Buster, I don’t weigh as much as your foreleg. I think your ears need grooming. Just lay off with the heavy handed stuff and I will give you a good cleaning, OK?”

The wolf rolled onto his side. His tail was thumping the floor and his tongue lolled out of his mouth. Maddy climbed up his neck and proceeded to rather vigorously clean out the wolf’s ears.

“Look at all this stuff,” Marissa said to herself as she was drawn down one aisle that seemed to have more modern cosmetic items. What she didn’t realize was that merchandise often changed in any location to suit the desires, spoken and unspoken, of the potential customer. She came to a countertop that had a number of wigs on display that were placed on Styrofoam ‘heads’. She was drawn to one in particular. It was a pale, ash/platinum blonde, and obviously very expensive. It wasn’t one shade throughout, but instead had wonderful highlighting and varying shades that naturally darkened a bit toward the nape. It was a bit ‘big’ but not to a ‘Dolly Parton’ extreme.

She gently lifted the wig off the stand and noted the label “GENUINE NATURAL BLONDE HUMAN HAIR”. ‘I’ve always wondered what it would be like to be a blonde. Surely it wouldn’t hurt if I tried it on.’ She set her purse on the counter and, while looking into the handy mirror, gently placed the wig over her head. She tucked a few stray wisps of her natural light brown hair back under the edges.

“Mother! Don’t do that! You’ve got to take it off!” Cindy rushed up to her mother’s side. “Mom, I told you not to mess with anything.”

“I’m not messing. I’m just straightening it up a bit. Ooooh, it tingles. Mmmm, I feel good. Where’s that handsome father of yours. I’ll bet he likes blondes.”

“YOUR WISDOM, HELP, WE NEED YOU RIGHT NOW!” Cindy shouted.

A little piece of cloth caught her eye. She thought she had seen something fall as her mother adjusted the wig. She picked it up as she heard the others approach.

The Wizard arrived first. He had a large glass of a greenish liquid that was fuming a bit. “Mrs. Lewis, drink this right now, all of it.”

“What’s that, a grasshopper? I hope it’s not alcoholic. Booze makes me do naughty things, especially if I drink it in the afternoon,” she said as she winked at her astounded husband. She took the glass and drained it. She gave a little shudder and licked her lips. “Wow, that’s strong stuff. What was it?”

“That, my dear, was my best de-bimboization elixir. I keep a bottle around for emergencies such as this. How do you feel?”

“A little strange, sort of horny,” she whispered the last part and stifled a giggle.

“Let’s wait a little longer. I think she got the elixir in time, but it takes a little while to act,” The Wizard said while he studied Marissa with a look of concern.

“Mrs. Lewis, what’s the square root of 144?”

“Why twelve, of course.”

“What are the first three rules of real estate?”

“Location, location, location: everyone knows that.”

“I think she’s going to be OK. She got the elixir in time.”

“Oh dear,” Marissa exclaimed, “Something is wrong with my bra. It’s getting very tight.”

“I’m afraid that is part of the affect of the wig. I’ll fix that.” The Wizard made a subtle motion. “How’s that?”

“Much better,” Marissa said while wiggling her shoulders a bit. “What did you do?”

“I made some adjustments. I adjusted all your clothes at home, as well.”

Cindy was looking at the tag she had picked up

“GENUINE NATURAL BLONDE HUMAN HAIR,” said the first side, the side her mother had seen. “Bimbo Blonde Products. Your Satisfaction Is Guaranteed. Our Best Three Way Alteration,” said the other side. Cindy looked at her mother who was still sporting a somewhat bewildered look. She was also sporting a rather prodigious bust line.

Marissa was running her fingers through her hair. “I guess since I tried it on, I had better pay for. I kinda like the way it looks, but I’m not sure it is really me.”

“It’s $19.95 plus tax; however, it really is you now. I’m afraid it’s permanent. You are now totally and permanently a beautiful, natural platinum blonde. Your new endowments are part of the package. It only takes a few minutes for the changes to become permanent. I had to react to the most serious of the changes and your mind is the most important thing about you. The other changes will be accepted by others as being the way you have always been.”

“My God, my boobs are huge!” Marissa said as she twisted back and forth taking in her profile in the mirror.

“They are the best magic can buy. Guaranteed to never sag excessively or droop. They will always be 100% disease free. They also are fully functional and erotically very sensitive. I think you will be very pleased.

“There are some other effects that come along with this. Because you have children, your genetic traits have been passed on to them. There has to be some consistency in these things.”

“Cindy,” Bobbie piped, “your hair! Look at your hair!”

Cindy turned to the mirror. “Oh my goodness!” Her hair had been a light brown up to a few minutes before. Now it was a bright golden blonde. There was a little more wave, and it seemed to be a bit longer. She turned to The Wizard.

“I suppose this means there will eventually be some other similar changes,” she said with a bit of a knowing tone.

“Most assuredly; you were always going to be very pretty. Now you are going to be a bit of an eye catcher. I think you will be very pleased. You will naturally be a bit smaller than your mother, maybe a cup. I can make you bigger if you desire.”

“No, I think we should let well enough alone. Well, I always wanted to have breasts, and now I really have something to look forward to.

“Your Wisdom, I tried to warn everyone not to mess with anything. I guess Mom didn’t understand how powerful everything in here is.”

“No harm was done, Cindy. In fact I think things will work out very well, very well indeed.

“OK, here comes the brother and sister. They won’t see you, but please be quiet. I have to go to the back room. It’s part of the rules.”

The two families stood back as the couple entered the shop. The bell tinkled as it always did and the couple looked around in awe at the strange shop.

“Gary, Sonia, I’ll be with you in a moment.”

Sonia looked around taking it all in. “Gary, I don’t believe it. I saw the sign when we came up to the front. This has to be some sort of an elaborate joke. If only this place really existed. I mean there are so many girls like I am who would give so much if it did.

“I mean look at this. That big dog looks just like a wolf. And, what’s that kitten doing sleeping on his head. Who would go to all this trouble to make fun of me?

“Is this why you wouldn’t tell me what store the discount coupon was for. You must have known about the myth of ‘Spells-R-Us’. Are you that gullible? I hope you didn’t spend anything on that. How could you be so foolish?”

“He’s not foolish, Sonia,” The Wizard said as he parted the curtains. “Your brother loves you very much, and he hopes you can get the life you deserve.”

Sonia looked at the robed old man and gave a forced laugh. “I must say you certainly had some good coaching for the role. You look just like I thought you would look if you really existed.”

“Gary, you told me she was hard headed and practical about things. I think we will have to take a different tact.

“Sonia, your brother contacted me on the internet. There are special times and conditions for certain portals to open and apparently he found one. Now I want you to drink this Coke and think about what you would like to happen if it could. Remember, I am a wizard, and I will know what you desire.”

Without thinking about it, Sonia took the Coke and swiftly drank it down. “Shoot, now I have to go to the bathroom.”

“It’s back behind the skeletons. The seat’s a bit loose, so be careful when you sit down.”

Sonia strode on her long legs through the curtains to the back of the rear room.

The wizard handed Gary a box as Sonia disappeared. “What’s this?” Gary asked.

“They were her implants. She doesn’t need them anymore.”

There was a screech from the back of the shop. “Oh my God! Oh my God! Oh my God! It’s real! I’m real. What have you done to me?” A much different appearing Sonia raced out of the back room into her brother’s arms. “Gary,” she said between gasps, “I went back there and sat down and all of a sudden I realized I was different. It’s gone. Oh my God, it’s real. You’re real. It’s not a joke.” She said the last looking at The Wizard. She looked down at her chest and her hands flutters over her breasts. “They’re real, too, aren’t they?”

“You’re totally real, just like you’ve always wanted. Now, there are a couple of other things that need to be taken care of. I think you will be much happier being about five-ten when you grow up instead of six-two, so that adjustment has been made.

“You sacrificed your young adulthood for your brother to get him through college and medical school. David is now 26 years old; ready for his residency and you are 38. Rather, you were 38. I think it is only fair that the tables are a bit reversed. I think if you were 14, you would get to experience a lot of what you missed. Would you be happy about that?”

“Yes sir, I think that would be wonderful, but what about our parents? They were so mean to both of us. It was hard to leave them, but we had to.”

“These changes don’t start here; they have to go back many years. It took surprisingly little to change just a few things to change your parent’s attitudes about things. I think you will find them much more accepting about people who have problems similar to what yours were. You have to remember that you were a late child. One of their hopes is that they will live long enough to see your children. That’s still a ways off.

“Gary, there is a nice Pakistani resident physician at your hospital who likes trout fishing. You might want to get to know her. Now, your little sister needs to get home. It’s been a long day and your parents are waiting for you.”

~~~~~*~~~~~~

Next: Marissa’s enhancements have an immediate and very pleasing affect on Cindy’s parents. The families learn that Randy has not absorbed enough of this universe to allow The Wizard’s magic to work properly. Any attempt to change him would be immediately fatal. All they can do is make things as comfortable as possible for him.

Portia

up
119 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

What If The Wizard

Was to find Randy's doppleganger that he switched with? Then, we could see two Wizards at the same time as they exchange them.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Uh...

No, Randy didn't switch with anyone -- certainly not with another version of himself, since he remembers his childhood taking place in this house (which isn't consistent with this worldline) and incidents from his childhood seem to have happened to the current residents instead. That's the whole point -- he doesn't have a history on this world, which is why his Social Security and military ID and records don't exist there.

And the Wizard doesn't have a doppelganger on our side -- he's beyond such mortal concerns.

(That's the way I read this, anyway.)

Eric

That's the way I read this, anyway.

littlerocksilver's picture

I would have to agree with you. Of course, I have an advantage here. You are right about The Wizard. I think this universe is just his current assignment and he is outside the affects of any changes in the locol continuum.

Portia

Portia

I loved the ...

Part about being coached about going into the Wizard's shop! Don't touch nothing! Sweet!

hugs!

Grover