HH: Interlude-01

Printer-friendly version

Hayfield Hall: Interlude-01

By: Annette MacGregor & Karen Page

Some students seem to build friendships irrespective of age, or year. David/Jayne and Dan/Sophia are two that have done this more than once in the stories. How did these two meet for the first time?


Interlude: 2005, sometime in the three weeks prior to the trip to France

I guess I'd gotten used to folks stopping by to listen to the grand, while I was practicing. Okay, not really, but I also wasn't so completely oblivious to all that was going on around me when I was playing on that beautiful instrument either. I'd just finished one of my pieces and figured I may as well play something they'd recognize and smoothly shifted to Billy Joel's "The Entertainer" since it had some similar themes. I wonder how long it'll take whoever it is to realize I switched into this. I smiled to myself, then wondered if my audience would know him. Only one in my year had known Billy, when the year started. They learned better. Maybe I should have played the Joplin piece. These Brits know it better.

Noticing that my observer hadn't moved, I stopped at the end of the piece. "If you're going to stand there, do you have any requests?" Oops. That should have been in French! After last year, I should remember. "Pardonnez-moi."

"Mais, bien sá»r," responded a young voice, then continuing in French. "Sorry, I had no idea you knew I was here."

I laughed lightly. "I've learned to be a bit more aware of what's going on around me when I play." Getting up from the stool, and turning toward the voice, I saw one of the first year girls. "Hi, I'm Sophia."

"Oh, hi, I'm Jayne."

Hmmm. The name's familiar. I wonder why? Oh well, we'll see.

"I was passing by and heard you playing. I hadn't realized anyone was allowed to play that." She indicated the Steinway.

Laughing. "Mrs. Russell said I could, as long as I notified her when it needed to be tuned or if I noticed any other issues."

"I didn't know anyone here actually played the piano. I mean, when do you have time?"

"I make time, and you'll find, sooner or later, that Mrs. Russell's not the only other player. I take it you've not had an opportunity to have singing lessons yet?" At her negative shake, "Stopping by at times like this is one way I find the time."

"We can study alternate instruments? Wait, Kevin told me that a while back."

I smiled again, "Yes, quite a few of the older students play two, or even more, though they do tend to spend more time on their primary. Most play their primary instrument in the orchestra, though, I have it on good authority that secondary instruments are sometimes played, if only to provide a better distribution there."

"Wow, if that's your secondary instrument, I can't imagine how you are on your primary." Then, as if the penny dropped, "The piano's your primary, isn't it?"

Her question gave me the clue I'd needed. This is David. It's hard to believe he is actually a guy, though. Unless David spent a lot of time as a girl before coming here, his passing is pretty awesome. I spent most of my first months taking the classes to be able to BE a girl, rather than fake one. I've surprised folks too, and for some of us, that's important. Well, to be honest with myself, it seems to be for Andy, me and a few others. Heck, even Mark's not clowning much anymore. "Yes, I'm learning percussion for playing with the orchestra. I understand I'll get to start on the snares in the autumn."

"Oh, that's where I've seen you, in the back with," she paused a moment, as if reaching for names, "Andy and Andrea."

"Yes, they've both been very helpful!" Hmmm. She knows some kids from the upper years well enough to know their names, without being in our section. That pretty much cinches that he's one of the specials like Fran and Ingrid. "You're in the brass somewhere?"

"I play the horn."

Thinking back, I reviewed the others, as if I needed it to place him, no HER. I should know better. "Ahh, yes, I recognize you now." Now what? "So, what brings you out at this hour? I was about to wrap up and head for my room."

"I had to go and see Rachel."

"I see. The support staff are all really good here, and Rachel seems okay. I kinda miss Kate and Dr. Bill, though."

"Kate? Dr. Bill?"

"She was the head of the support staff last year and Dr. Bill was our physician until they both retired a few months ago."

"Oh. That's right. Rachel mentioned she was new."

"Yeah, Fran and Ingrid had a bit of a tough time switching over. But, they say Rachel's been really good."

"You know Ingrid and Fran too? You're in year two, aren't you?"

This girl will need some watching. She's really perceptive. I nodded. "I guessed you must be first year when I had to think to work out who you were."

"It's a bit hard learning everyone's name, along with having to do everything in French."

"Oh, you're not that far behind. We've all just been through this before, and, a new language is much easier after you've learned a few; specially a related one. Our trips last year helped a little, despite the very different way the French pronounce some stuff."

"Thanks for the encouragement."

"Any time; if you need help practicing, feel free to call."

"Thanks for the offer. One of our year is a languages specialist. He's been really helpful to all of us."

"I'm sure, and this living the language is so effective!" I could see Jayne nodding agreement.

"Do you think you'll be playing the piano with the orchestra any time soon?"

"Soon? I'm not sure, but Mrs. Russell's given me piano accompaniment for every piece we've done so far. She indicated that I'd eventually be there. I don't know that I'm ready, though I will admit that I've gotten much better over the last year. Still, I have a long way to go before I think I'm ready." My PDA chimed then. "Oops. Now we really need to get a move on."

I stood up, and collected my music.

"How do you handle the pedals in those heels?"

I laughed. "I asked myself the same question last year when I got here. I've discovered that if I stick to under four or five centimeters, I'm okay. I can do it barefoot easier, but with a long piece it's not comfortable and if I ever solo, I can't see Mrs. Russell being happy with me kicking my shoes off as I prepare to play."

That produced a laugh from Jayne. "No, I can't see her approving of that, either."

I tried to recall a little about Jayne. Then, remembering her attire and where I'd seen her name recently, I knew I'd seen the name. I'd best check if she's dressed so she and Helen can room together on the trip. "Oh, from your attire, is it safe to assume you want to share a room, in France, with Helen?"

Jayne gave me a sharp look. "Of course, but why are you asking?" I could see a questioning expression on her face.

"We normally room those that present as girls together and those as boys separately. Most of the world doesn't accept mixed rooms for teens. I was just confirming that you'd dressed as Jayne to make sure you could room together. Unless you'd rather not…" My voice trailed off at the end, just to check.

"I understand about boys and girls not sharing the same room while we're away, and of course we want to be together. My question was why are YOU asking this?" She gave me a quizzical look.

"Ahhh, sorry, part of my training includes room assignments." I replied. "Part of my specialty is Operations Analysis and Planning." No reason to mention the other part of my specialty, as it sounds a bit strange to me, even after a year. "That sounds pretty impressive, but so far, it seems kind of lame, organizing details for trips." Playing it down, is a good idea, too. I've yet to really figure out what I'm supposed to tell anyone but Renee. "I guess assigning people to rooms is part of that. I select our hotel based on criteria provided by Mr. Hobson and assign rooms, and things like that. When it was first assigned, I thought the name for my specialty was a joke, but I did look it up, and as a result I've wondered what they have planned for me." In case she looks it up, best admit it's not all fluff. "Anyway, Renee's sorting transport for the trip."

"Renee? First trumpet, right? I can see your involvement, I guess. Do you plan all of the trips?"

"I'm not sure. Last year, we did plan for our trips, but, it was only under training to see how our plans compared with the ones made by the staff. This is the first trip they've actually put us in charge of making the actual arrangements."

"I can see your part. I take it Renee's your study partner. Is that why she's helping?"

"No, her specialty is logistics." I could see Jayne's nod. We were approaching the hall with our rooms. "If you want to continue chatting, I'd better get clearance for one of us to be out of our rooms after ten."

"I'd like that, if it wouldn't get you into trouble." I could also see her nodding to herself, as if confirming something.

I laughed. "No, our homework's done."

I quickly sent Dan a note requesting permission for either Jayne or myself to be out after ten, to continue a conversation we'd started."

  >> Is it important now, or could it wait? >>  

I thought a minute, and something was telling me I should get to know Jayne better.

  << Not sure why, but I think it is important. <<  

  >> Okay Sophia, I'll clear it. But, don't make it too late. >>  

  << Thanks. I'll let you know. <<  

"We're cleared." Looking up from my PDA, "Your place or mine?" Then, I was careful to not start, as I realized why Dan might have questioned me. After the suicide watch following Jessica's attempt, the staff are all probably uber sensitive.

"It doesn't make much difference, but Helen might like to hear some of this, so why not my place?"

I nodded. "Yours it is. I'd best ping Renee and let her know." I sent Renee a note about where I'd be and that it was approved.

  >> Okay. Sounds like you're doing another of your helpful chats. Are you going to adopt her entire year, or is Jayne just a single project? >>  

I told her I'd let her know when I got there, while laughing a little. She'd been teasing me about mothering the year for the past few months, and if I were honest to myself, it wasn't totally unwarranted.

"What's so funny, Sophia?"

"Renee was just teasing me about something. Despite the authorization, we'd best get to your room." I didn't want to have to go into the teasing right now, as that'd just complicate things.

Jayne nodded. "Are all of the staff so quick to respond? I know Rachel's been very available."

That pretty much cinches that Rachel's her primary staff. She's got Rachel. Hmmm. I wonder if Helen has her too. "I think so; at least they have been so far." I walked with Jayne to her room. Jayne presents well. They'd not let her go as Jayne, if she weren't up to it. I wondered if Jayne had learned to present for reasons like I had, or if she had some other motive for doing it. Either way, it must have been before coming to the school, because she's not been practicing the whole time. Her business, but, if there's something I can help with... My thoughts trailed off as we arrived at her room. Not surprisingly, it was one of the rooms that had been refurbished following the old year's graduation.

Jayne headed for the open connecting door, and tapped on the frame, "Helen, I've got Sophia with me from year-two," she called.

Helen came through the door, a smile on her face

Jayne pitched in, "I found Sophia in that fancy room off the main entrance–with the grand piano."

"They call it the Music Parlour," I supplied.

"Fancy name," Helen responded.

"She was practicing on the grand," Jayne continued. "I'm afraid I disturbed her a bit, but we started talking, and decided to come back here to continue before curfew."

"I was wondering how close you'd cut it this time," Helen teased. "Thanks for bringing back my wayward partner, but won't you get into trouble for staying out late?"

I laughed at their obvious friendship. "No, I cleared it with Dan before coming over. As long as we clear things, most of the rules are flexible. Jayne and I were chatting, and I figured it wouldn't hurt to get to know you two better."

"She asked if we wanted to share a room on the field trip."

At Helen's questioning look, I rescued Jayne. "I'm responsible for organizing a bunch of aspects of the trip, as practice for my speciality which includes planning."

Helen nodded then, "I guess that's like the stuff you've been doing with Julia," she said to Jayne.

I was a bit surprised at her use of the first name, but figured it must be because she asked their class to call her by her first name. Turning to Jayne, "I guess you're doing something with computer systems, like Ingrid and her network stuff. She spends a lot of time with Ms. Toms, as well." First name's fine for her, but I can't see it for me. All the other staff are Mr or Ms, well, except the shrinks and Dr. Sue.

Jayne agreed. Then, before any of us could go further, Helen suggested we sit down. She and Jayne sat together on her settee, and I took the chair opposite them.

Interesting how close they are already. Wait, didn't I hear something about them knowing each other before coming to the Hall?

Jayne started. "But, to your remark before we sat down. Yes, I'm studying computer systems."

"Makes sense for someone in your year to work on something like that, as June graduated; Ms Toms was doing most of it with just Ingrid for help. Though, even there, I guess we're lucky to have Ms Toms full time. She was part-time last winter and spring. There was some guy here when we started, but he left right after the audit. Then, June was doing most of the stuff until Ms Toms started." I thought back to the time of the systems audit, last fall and shook my head.

"What?"

"Oh, they had an external company come in last year, and they apparently gave the school a mixed report. A few months later, our full time computer teacher left, and Ms Toms was here more often. She'd be here a few days or a week at a stretch, then be off somewhere. There was this long break back in May; then she was back by early June."

"Sounds like there was quite a lot of staff turnover last year."

I thought about it. "No, not really; like I told Jayne earlier, there was Dr. Bill and Kate Mayhew who left and were replaced, and Ms Toms being added. I guess you could say she replaced our original computer teacher. Apparently our language teachers vary occasionally, 'cause they brought in someone to help in Spanish–well Catalan–last year."

"Catalan?"

I nodded in response to Helen's question. "One of our concerts was in Barcelona last year, and while they speak Spanish, the native language of that part of Spain is Catalan. We didn't learn Catalan, they just helped us recognize it and have a few phrases, and shift our accent a bit. There wasn't time to do more."

"Why not?"

"We only got the word of the switch to Barcelona from Madrid a month before we left. So, they helped us speak with a more local accent of Spanish, rather than a Madrid accent, like we'd been learning."

I could see both of them getting the idea.

We talked on for almost an hour. They confirmed that they'd not only known each other before coming here, they'd even been close friends until their last few years in school. I shared some of the places I'd lived over the years, and the variety of schools. They both seemed like really nice kids. Listen to me, calling them kids. Renee'd certainly call me on that. I glanced at the time on my PDA, which I'd put on the armrest of my chair. Seeing how late it was getting to be, "I'd probably best get back to my room pretty soon, or Dan'll have my hide."

At their startled looks, "Sorry, just kidding. If I'd said we needed to have this talk for your wellbeing or some such, we could go as late as we needed. If you've not noticed, the school goes a LONG way to ensure that we get all the help we need."

Their response seemed to be mixed, so I expanded, "Seriously, if Dr. Ruiz hasn't told you yet, a dozen times, she's very different from Dan. I know the support staff, and other students were telling us that until we could hear it in our sleep last year. They also seem to really mean it."

"Okay, okay. Yes, they have said that. It's just hard to really believe, after my old school."

I nodded understanding a bit, as Jayne had shared some of the things that had happened to her, and I recalled some of the bullying I'd seen. "It took me a while to believe it, and I didn't have the same background you did, so I can understand that. But, as I was saying, if I believed it was important for me to stay NOW, I would, but, I think it'd just be us having fun. We can get together again, if you like."

They agreed to that, and I was shortly on my way to the room. It was far from the first time I was out after curfew, but it still felt a little strange. I thought back to the reason for some of my earliest "late nights" in the halls, and acknowledged to myself that Renee had had a point earlier. I was still smiling at the thought when I opened the door to our room.

She was already in bed, reading, but sat up when I came in. "Went well, did it?"

"They're pretty nice, though I get the feeling that something under the surface is bugging Jayne."

I saw the concern on her face as she climbed out of bed and came over, "Something to worry about?"

I thought about it, then, "No." I started. "Not yet anyway. Besides, she's got a close partner already and, as we saw last spring, Rachel's very quick on the uptake."

I was getting ready for bed myself, at this point, and although I didn't see Renee's expression at my last, I did hear her breath catch at the use of partner instead of study partner. "Yeah, they knew each other growing up, and were good friends until fairly recently. Looks like they've made up for lost time, to be quite honest." I paused, while brushing my hair, "They're already past the awkward stage most of our year is going through; when they realize that they're more than just study partners."

She laughed then. "It did take a while for Claire and Mark to work things out, didn't it?"

I smiled at the memory. Yeah, I'd had a lot of late night chats with both of them last spring. "Very true, though they worked it out. But, back to Helen and Jayne; I wouldn't be surprised to see them do something formal at some point. Whether it's one of the school's ceremonies or like what we did, I don't know.

Renee looked at me quite seriously then. "You're not serious, are you?"

"Actually, I think I am. Oh, not real soon, but it could be sometime this school year. They're that close."

We talked some more before, finally getting into bed for the night.


Comments are greatly appreciated!

Return to Title Page

up
127 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Nice To See H.H.

Return. I have missed this story, thanks for posting.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Nice to have you back.

The SPA universe seems so detailed. With three interlocking story lines, going months without an episode and the detail of these series makes it hard to pick up again. I like this interlude project. It will help me keep in touch with the HH universe and follow each new installment better.

This is similar to the side stories Saless uses in the Venus Cursed series. looking forward to additional interludes to clarify what is really occurring.

Please, keep up these great stories.

Hugs,
Trish-Ann
~There is no reality, only perception~

Hugs,
Trish Ann
~There is no reality, only perception~

You, the readers..

can ask questions that might generate more interludes. Or, you can get things explained in the stories themselves.

Thanks for the nice comments.

Annette

Dan vs David

Nice combine story and hope to see more to fill in the main stories.
I just hope that the two main stories continue. I also hope that the posting times between the two main stories doesn't incress.

Main story line...

RL has gotten in the way... The two main story lines (associated with Hayfield Hall) do both have several episodes that are getting wound up. No guarantee on when they make it to posting, of course. *sighs* RL continues to intrude).

Annette

This is my first HH story I have read!

I'm a little lost, can you advise what I should read to catch up please?

LoL
Rita

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

The background you may need...

Is described on the "Cover Page". A link to it can be found at the bottom of each interlude. The cover page describes the reason for the interludes and provides links to both base stories.

Hope that info helps,
Annette

Mark and Claire ?

Mark and Claire ?
I was expecting Mark and Alice, or possibly Wayne and Claire.

Oh and the Hidden Gifts character list says "male" (not trans) for both of them ?