Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 846.

Printer-friendly version
Wuthering Dormice
(aka Bike)
Part 846
by Angharad
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

It was Friday, I had frantic shopping to do, the girls were finishing school after lunch and I had all the usual food stuff to do and yet more Christmas shopping. My own fault, increasing the size of my foster brood meant more prezzies were needed and that was all time consuming–especially when Tom said, here’s some money get the girls something for Christmas, and then Simon more or less did the same.

Asked what they wanted to buy, they had both answered, ‘Oh you know, something they’ll like.’ Why I should know, is something of a mystery to me–I don’t have any more idea than they do, other than I do listen when the girls say things. The thing they seemed to want this year was a swimming pool or a trampoline. I did point out that a swimming pool would cost thousands of pounds which we wouldn’t spend anyway, because it was excessive but a trampoline would be possible although they’d have to share it. The other thing I thought about was a computer or keyboard instrument for each of the older girls and a new bicycle for Mima.

Simon knew someone ‘in computers’ so ordered a laptop for each of the older girls and I organised a new bike for Mima. I got a new iPhone for Simon, and satnav for Tom’s new car. Stella I bought a new MP3 player, which she can plug into her car and Puddin’ would be the new possessor of a computerised mobile to hang over her cot–it projects whatever pictures you load into its memory–to keep her amused. If she’s as bright as my three, I’ll download Lady Chatterley for her to read.

The queues in the supermarkets were ridiculous, so in the end I came home and did an online order to Waitrose and agreed for them to deliver it tomorrow. I’d already spent so much by then that I did a big order and thought I’d worry about it later.

Stella and I had been invited to the school carol service, so we decided we’d go despite my heretical views, I can sing carols as out of tune as the best of them. We thought we’d better dress up for it so I wore a longish skirt in a wool material with some boots, a jumper and a jacket. Stella had trousers and cardigan on under her duffle coat–I told her she looked like Paddington bear–well she would have with a sou’wester.

The carol service was sweet and they were saved my rendering various carols into sonic ordeals because I didn’t know many of the ones they sang. So we didn’t hark any herald angels or wash shepherd’s socks, let alone the three kings–one in a bus and one in a car, with one on a scooter sounding his hooter. Cor these kids won’t have ever lived until they’ve massacred some carols.

On the way back, Stella and I sang some of the unauthorised ones much to the amusement of the girls sitting on the back seat of my car. What happened to Puddin’, I can hear you ask–we took her with us, well they needed a baby Jesus for the nativity scene... Only joking, we did take her and she slept through the whole thing in Stella’s baby carrier thing–looks like a back to front papoose thingy. She woke for our personal carol service in the car on the way back, probably because of the giggling aliens on the back seat.

Did I tell you they’d asked me to read the lesson–me, a born again agnostic? The headmistress wanted me to be known so that when she announced I was doing the prize day, it wouldn’t be too much of a surprise to other parents. I didn’t really want to do it, but in the end I agreed–I had to, they’d put it in the programme. Hopefully as an infidel, they won’t try and persuade me to become a governor–that would be a step too far, probably for both parties.

I’d nearly forgotten about the reading, until Stella reminded me–I’d read through it weeks ago when I’d been asked–just after the dormouse film, and the governors decided I had a nice speaking voice, although I suspect the headmistress was the real culprit.

It was quite funny because the nursery class were also invited to the carol service and when I walked up to read the lesson, Mima shouted out, ‘Mummy’, it did wonders for my nerves–like shattering them. How I don’t have a nervous twitch, I’ll never know.

The girls were really pleased to have three weeks off–I tried to pretend that as they hadn’t been in school as much as the others, they had to go in on Christmas Day and Boxing Day. They didn’t believe me so the joke was on me.

On the way home my phone peeped for a text message which Stella read for me, I had to do the dormice on Sunday 27 and Monday 28, so I asked for volunteers and had three. I’d better put a gag on Meems when we go, Spike still has white hairs from last time they met.

Back in the house, Stella said to me, “You did that reading really well.”

“Seeing as I don’t believe any of it, maybe I did.”

“It’s a romanticised view of what they believe happened.”

“Why do they still believe it? Only because it absorbed the Mithras stuff, it was all added long after the event and the elevation of Jesus to the godhead. It’s all baloney.”

“Cathy, you’ll be telling me there’s no Santa Claus next?”

“No, he’s real, I saw him in John Lewis.”

“Thank goodness for that, I began to think I wouldn’t get any presents this year.”

“Mummy, can we have pizza again tonight?” Livvie had been sent by her co conspirators to plead their case.

“What d’ya think?” I asked Stella.

“We don’t have to eat it, do we?”

“No, I’ve done us a casserole in the slow cooker.”

“They could always have a bit of both.”

“I doubt they’d manage both, although Simon loves the things–bloody cardboard food.”

“Oh c’mon, Cathy, some of them are quite good, I’m surprised you don’t make your own.”

“I don’t particularly like them.”

“If you made them yourself, you’d be in charge of what went on them.”

“I’ll think about it, but it doesn’t inspire–I’d rather do pasta than pizza.”

“Fair enough, but tonight they get pizza?” pleaded Stella.

“Okay, but no more before Christmas.”

Simon arrived home as I was dishing up the pizza and he and the girls finished it before I’d finished dishing up the casserole for the grown ups! So he and they had some of that too. Stella was quite right, but I’m still not that interested in making them from scratch.

The girls were delighted to have Simon home early and he slipped me the key to his car as he played with them in the lounge. I managed to sneak the two laptops in without them seeing me, and they went up into the attic room wardrobe to be wrapped when the girls were in bed.

I was nicely settling down to my evening when the phone rang. “Can you get that?” I called to Stella.

“It’s Nora Cunningham for you, Cathy.”

I wonder what she wants? I asked myself as I took the phone. I mean the home should have closed by now or at least moved to Wantage–perhaps Williams F1 team will adopt them? They have a place near there. “Hello, Nora.”

“Hi, Cathy, look I’m terribly sorry to dump on you, but you know you volunteered to have those two kids?”

“Um–yes,” oh bugger, me and my big gob.

“You couldn’t take them for Christmas could you?”

“How long over Christmas?” Poo, poo poo!

“Is two weeks possible?”

“Have they got everything they need, clothes wise and so forth?”

“Absolutely.”

“What are they and how old?”

“Two boys–is that okay?”

“Nah, turn ‘em into girls and I’ll take ‘em–unless you want me to do it?”

“Oh dear, I’m sor...”

“I’m joking, Nora, I’ll take them, how old are they?”

“Nine and ten,” she sighed down the phone.

“I’ll need to get them some presents to unwrap, what do they like?”

“Oh anything, they’ll have stuff from the charity to open.”

“Do they have bikes?”

“No–you can’t give them bikes, Cathy.”

“Watch me--don’t you dare tell them.”

“You are so kind, Cathy.”

“Don’t thank me, I’ll stick ‘em on Simon’s bill, he just doesn’t know it yet.” She laughed, thinking I was joking, I wasn’t because I knew Simon had access to a charitable fund through the bank and they’d give us a grant towards it. We then discussed the logistics of her depositing the kids with us, tomorrow looked like the day!

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
176 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Frantic Shopping?

What is a frantic, and how much does it cost? I wonder if Cathy will get a new Paddington Bear or perhaps even a toy dormouse.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Tour de Portsmouth

Taking the expanded brood cycling...that'll be a challenge and a half!

Three adult cyclists (Cathy, Stella and Simon - I don't think we've seen Tom on two wheels yet) and four child cyclists (last time they went cycling, Mima was on a tandem trailer behind Cathy's bike - so the two older girls and the two boys would be independently cycling)

-oOo-

Meanwhile, Spike & co. are in for an interesting experience between Christmas and New Year - with all three girls "helping" out... hopefully with two extra pairs of eyes, they'll soon discover where Spike darts off to when escaping the banshee...

 
 
--Ben


This space intentionally left blank.

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

I've an honours degree

in opening my mouth and putting my foot in it; though I don't remember Cathy being on the course.

Her and her big mouth. And what's Simon going to say? "Oh good, someone to play footy with at last."

What's the betting that Dastardly and Muttley don't go back after Christmas?

Susie

Cathy's Mum was quite right

Cathy's Mum was quite right in telling her that she would have a large family. She is now going from three girls to three girls and two boys. Will be really interesting to see how they all fit in together, as the boys are both older than Livvie and Trish and Meems. I just hope one of the boys is not one who bullied Trish, because I can see Livvie taking him down a peg or two. Merry Christmas to Cathy, Simon, et al. And a wonderful and Happy Christmas to you Angharad and your family. Oh yes, I can not forget Bonzi in all this either. Hugs, Jan

It's a good job

the Camerons are not too short of cash, What with Cathys new recruits arriving before Christmas you kinda feel obliged to get the two boys presents....Lets just hope that their arrival is the start of a beautiful friendship and not the disaster it could so easily be!!!

Kirri

I'm sure Cathy did a beautiful

job with her reading. You don't have to believe it to make it sound good. Sure hope the boys aren't some of the ones who tormented Trish. Guess if they were maybe there will be help for the shed painting.

Agree with Stella that home made pizza can be pretty good. Problem for me is that home ovens just aren't quite right for baking pizza.

Poor Puddin!

jengrl's picture

Auntie Cathy wants to scar the poor thing for life by slipping Lady Chatterley into her mobile. It will be interesting to see how the two boys fit into the mix when the arrive. All in all, a cute chapter.

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

Poor Trish,

You have to know these are the bullies she was so afraid of.

TEN year old boys. Cathy they'll be checking you out, careful

Boys like frantics, the 28" red ones. No, really I must have had special ones though, my father used the F word a lot when he had to put anything together, I used to peek. You know, a f****en 3spd bike.I thought F****en was the brand, I told all the neighbors.
Simon, here's a second look.
064.JPG
Cefin