Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 854.

Printer-friendly version
Wuthering Dormice
(aka Bike)
Part 854
by Angharad
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

That night we worked damned hard after getting the kids to bed. The boys were messing about and the girls wanted another story–a Christmassy one. I did the girls and made up some tale about a dormouse who couldn’t sleep so didn’t hibernate–you know the sort of stuff. Eventually they quietened down.

Simon went up to sort out the boys, after I put the drops in Danny’s eye–it was improving but still rather bloodshot, but at least he didn’t need to cover it. I’m not sure what he did–Simon that is–but he was with them equally as long as I was with the girls.

We had a cuppa and checked on our charges, they were all asleep. Then it was getting the presents put out by the tree but far enough away from the fire to stop them being damaged by the heat.

They each had an MP3 player and some CDs courtesy of Tom, Simon and I gave the girls a lap top each, and Mima had a bike instead, as did the boys. Plus loads of little things like soft toys and balls, puzzles and books, some chocolate and a small bottle of drink.

I’d had the double delight of getting something from the girls for Simon, I knew he wanted a new leather belt, so Trish gave him that, Livvie gave him a new ball pen and Meems a digital tyre pressure gauge. They all clubbed together to give Tom a new printer for his computer, and I gave Tom a new cardigan with suede bits in the front of it.

As for Simon, well he wanted some new shirts–so I had some made for him: don’t ask what they cost, but it was more than one of the boy’s bikes. Everything except the bikes had been wrapped, they had been labelled and deposited around the Christmas tree. We were at it until after eleven, when I decided I’d had enough and went to bed, Simon and Tom were watching the end of a film–they’d helped–for a few minutes.

Stella decided to turn in about the same time, I’d got her a new nightdress and peignoir, I hoped she liked them, and Puddin’ had some new clothes and a few toys. I’d tried to be careful, but had still spent a fortune.

I was asleep before Simon came up to bed and I hardly stirred when he did, I was so tired. I did wake once in the night needing a wee, but I went straight off again–Simon was snoring like a lawnmower, a sharp elbow in the ribs stopped him and he turned over on his side and I went back to sleep.

The first we knew of Christmas was the invasion by the aliens–why do they all have cold feet on the planet Zog? And, do they all have cold hands too? I know that two pairs of both were held against my body until I awoke, despite my resistance.

“Mewwy Chwistmas, Mummy,” said a cold handed alien whose voice seemed familiar. A cold nose accompanied a very wet kiss which for a moment I thought might be the blessed dog. It wasn’t.

I had asked Simon and Tom to shut and lock the lounge door last night in the hope I could get the children to eat some breakfast before they opened their presents. Of course they forgot and I had to intercept Livvie, who was about to go into the lounge as it’s the room with the chimney and fireplace.

I wanted the children to have a good breakfast before they started on the Christmas day festivities, I also had loads to do with the dinner, which we were going to have at about one pm. The boys must have heard the girls about, because they were down within moments of us being up. (That sounds total gobbledygook, but I expect you know what I mean–if not get Mima to translate).

Simon, who normally stays in bed until after the breakfast máªlée, actually got up when I asked him, so he supervised–sort of–the breakfasting of the children, while I got a twenty pound turkey prepared for the oven. I won’t bore you with the details but it involved slices of bacon, garlic, and sausage meat. Tom was insistent on the latter–he nearly got stuffed himself as my stress levels began to rise.

Trish was going to help me make the chestnut stuffing and Livvie and Danny were going to do the potatoes, while Mima washed the cabbage–okay broccoli, and a few sprouts–Simon loves them, it’s me who nearly gets gassed in bed!

Billy was going to help Simon light the fire and carry in the wood from the woodshed, and Tom was going to make his coffee and stay ‘oot a ma way’ or he would get stuffed!

I managed a few cornflakes and a banana for my breakfast before getting back into the dinner preparations. We did the stuffing, the veg got prepared and the fire was lit–Billy was left stacking wood in the shed and not allowed into the lounge until everyone was ready.

I’d laid up the table as much as I could the night before, so the dining room should have been clean and tidy. I checked–it was. Simon had lit the fire and was standing in front of the lounge door keeping out invaders.
We had now been up over an hour, and the breakfast crocks were in the dishwasher. I nodded to Simon, who opened the lounge door and they kids all dashed in. They were all gobsmacked at the sight before them. Then they all squealed and talked at the same time and fell upon the presents.

It’s impossible to describe the scene, of excitement and disbelief–the boys couldn’t believe they each had a bike–and a decent one. The girls were ripping paper off like wild animals and squealing with delight at each new revelation. I’d spent hours wrapping things, which they tore into like maniacs.

Simon and I stood by the door, watching the excitement, his arm around my shoulder, and mine around his waist. We squeezed each other, “Merry Christmas, Lady Cameron,” he said and kissed me.

“Merry Christmas, your Lordship,” I replied and kissed him back.

We watched the pandemonium for a bit longer when he said, “You know, I haven’t seen so much madness since it was rumoured one of the boys on my dormitory had pictures of the headmaster’s daughter with no clothes on.”

“It wasn’t you, was it?”

“Yes,” he said blushing, “but she was only three months old at the time and was lying on a bearskin rug–I was president of the camera club and he asked me to take them.”

“You have led an exciting life,” I said and he looked at me and we both snorted with laughter.

“This is for you, Mummy, from Daddy.” Trish produced a small package and handed it to me. I looked at her and then at him.

“Well open it then?” he urged, so I did. Inside was a diamond necklace and matching drop earrings. The way the stones sparkled was breathtaking.

“It’s beautiful,” I said, and kissed him.

“It’s insured,” he said, “Do you like them?”

“They’re beautiful.” I kissed him again.

Trish now arrived with a parcel for Simon. He opened it and looked at the shirt. “Goodness handmade, thank you, wife.”

“You’re welcome, husband–oh and there’s another five upstairs for you.”

“My goodness–you spoil me,” he said blushing.

“I try, when I can.” I winked and he kissed me again, this time to loads of noise from the assembled children, who groaned and whistled.

“Can we go out on the bikes, Auntie Cathy?”

“Did you find the helmets, Auntie Stella gave you?”

“Yes, Auntie Cathy.”

“Let’s see if they fit.” I adjusted each one and after they promised to wrap up warmly, they all went out on their bikes. I asked them to keep on the pavement on the main road or to stay near the drive. I knew I was wasting my time, but it is Christmas.

Then it was more chores as I got on with the dinner and Stella and Simon collected up all the wrapping paper in a rubbish bag. Sadly most of it won’t burn, so it has to be dumped.

I had a CD of carols from King’s College playing in the kitchen as I did the dinner and Tom came out. “I thocht ye’re an agnostic?”

“I am, why?”

“Listenin’ tae carols.”

“I used to sing them when I was a kid, Daddy, I was in a church choir.”

“So why d’ye listen tae them noo.”

“I like them, it doesn’t mean I agree with the message, and let’s face most of it is total poppycock, but it’s part of Christmas.”

“Aye it’s that alricht.”

“More coffee?”

“Not jes’ the noo, I wanted to gi’ ye this.” He handed me a small package.

“What is it?” I asked as I opened it and inside found a small ring box which upon opening held a beautiful diamond ring.”

“This looks like an engagement ring,” I said.

“Aye, it wis Celia’s.”

“I can’t take this, Daddy, it’s far too precious.”

“I want ye tae hae it, and I ken Celia wid tae. It wid hae gone tae ma Catherine, but noo ye’re ma dochter. Ye’d hae got it when I wis deid, an’ I’d like ye tae hae it the noo, while I can gi it tae ye in person. Please accept it.”

“How can I say no, it’s absolutely beautiful. Thank you, Daddy.” I kissed him and felt the tears form in my eyes. I slipped the box into my pocket and said, “I’ll put it safe when I go up to change later. I’ll treasure that forever, Daddy.”

“Och weel,” he said and shuffled out of the kitchen, while I sniffed over the onions I was chopping for the sage and onion stuffing.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
185 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Surprised

Thats what I was when I found this episode so early this morning. Thank you for writing over the holidays. Thought you have taken the day off. Seems Cathy has Christmas under control. Keep up the good work.
Merry Christmas
Poppykin

Thanks

I too thank you for this wonderful story. Make sure Cathy puts that ring away before the boys find out that it is there.

Wonderful description

of Christmas morning with the brood.

Have to wonder whether the, "while I sniffed over the onions I was chopping" was really sniffling over the onions or the events of the day.

Great episode, thanks Angharad and Bonzi.

Bike pt 854.

Great Christmas chapter, hopefully neither boy will want Cathy's prezzies. Althuogh, the girls might wanna play dressup with them, and what did Kiki get, and Spike?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

What a nice several days...

it's good to be catching up. :-) I'm hoping all readers had nice days - as did the characters in the story... Yes, even with the bit of "stone".

Annette even got her first "present" from her wife & daughters this year. :-) Though, it was unrapped prior to traveling to visit the family. (Red satin Jammies). I think that's a good sign for me, too.

Now, if I can finish getting over this OTHER thing I got for christmas (a cold), things will be even better! LOL No, I'm on the mend, and beginning to feel human again... Thus my time to catch up on the continuing saga of Lady Cammeron.

I wonder, a bit, at Cathy's approach to helping Danny. Is "eliminating" those evil thoughts a good idea? Or would it be better to put them "away" where they can't get to him - until he's bigger, and ready to deal with them, better? Or, was Cathy just "burning" out the negative emotions associated with the memories, and leaving the memories to be looked at later? Perhaps that's okay then. Just thinking here... Which, I've been told is dangerous.

Nice of Cathy & company to do their bit to drag the world out of it's recession. :-) There were a few "NetBooks" under the tree around here yesterday. LOL... And, several VERY happy recipients. No bikes though.

Thank you,
Annette

Christmas on the 26th?

I suppose it could be celebrated that day, no objection.

My family's tradition on the dressing was to mix bread crumbs, celery, onion, and a myriad number of spices and stuff the lot into the bird, after we had removed the giblets. A couple times the bird had been walking about in the barn yard the previous day. I still remember the discussions about how much wood to put in the stove, but I forget how Mom determined if it was hot enough. There was no thermometer.

I hope the malcontents who attack the family stay away, at least this day.

Khadijah Gwen

The 26th is Boxing Day

... and is celebrated in the British Commonwealth and UK.

Kim

All That Work & She Still Found Time to Write This?

That was my initial response to this episode. Then I remembered that its Angharad writing this, not Cathy... But that just underlines how real this writing seems, I guess.

Thank you, a thousand times, for so much enjoyment throughout the year, Angharad.

Briar

Briar

Thank You Ever So much

Angharad
Just a short note of special thanks for this episode. Like most here I think I was totally surprised to find an episode here on Christmas and again so early today.
I truly enjoy this wonderful story, I've followed it from the beginning and can hardly wait each day for the next installment.
The story and your characters are truly wonderful. You've given me many tears of joy and sadness at times but have made your characters so real I feel like I truly know them.
Keep up the wonderful work.

((((((hugs))))))
Always
Patti

Gosh!! that reminds me

so much of when my children were young....Seems a long time ago....Well i suppose it is when you consider the youngest is now 20! Cathy should treasure those memories....I know i do.

Kirri

What a wonderful "After

What a wonderful "After Christmas" present. Thank you, Angharad. I can remember a few Christmases where my Mother made us all wait until we had eaten breakfast and cleaned up the kitchen and dining room before we could go where the presents were waiting. One Christmas, My Dad actually had all of us older kids ( I was 15 at the time) wondering about Santa Claus and if he was real or not, as we, as a family went to midnight mass and when we came home there were large and some expensive for their day, presents sitting around the tree that were not there when we had left. Took me until about July to find out how he pulled this off; he used a friend of the family that lived about 10 miles away and had a large barn where everything had been stored. Then my Dad did the same for the friend's family. Jan

Christmas traditions

“This looks like an engagement ring,” I said.

“Aye, it wis Celia’s.”

“I can’t take this, Daddy, it’s far too precious.”

“I want ye tae hae it, and I ken Celia wid tae. It wid hae gone tae ma Catherine, but noo ye’re ma dochter. Ye’d hae got it when I wis deid, an’ I’d like ye tae hae it the noo, while I can gi it tae ye in person. Please accept it.”

“How can I say no, it’s absolutely beautiful. Thank you, Daddy.” I kissed him and felt the tears form in my eyes. I slipped the box into my pocket and said, “I’ll put it safe when I go up to change later. I’ll treasure that forever, Daddy.”

I wonder if Tom and Cathy will go and visit Celia and Catherine as they did the previous Christmas.

Interestingly, this Christmas Cathy isn't anywhere near as tired as the previous one where she and Simon just had a very excited Meems, and a somewhat incontinent Kiki to contend with. Cathy is obviously adapting well as matriarch to her growing brood. For any latecomers to the 'Bike' scene, the hilarious events of a year ago begin in part 503.

As always, today's episode was a real treat to read. Thank you Angharad.

Patriarchal Solemnity

Reminds me of ...

Christmas's past. Sheesh, Sounds like Dicken's novel. Christmas with kids is definitely more fun though, the enthusiasm is contagious.

Sprouts

Podracer's picture

Do NOT under any circumstances EVER give your dogs leftover sprouts.......
If you wish to inhabit the same building afterwards.

"Reach for the sun."

Santa would be proud !

What a nice, homey Christmas Day, the children are excited, but very well behaved.
The adults are loving, and not poking jibes at each other.

Wait a minute ! Bacon ? I'd eat dirt if it was covered in bacon.

Santa Cefin