Air Force Sweetheart -- TacPzlSolGp Chap. 28/34

Printer-friendly version

Air Force Sweetheart
TacPzlSolGp
Chapter 28/34

 

by T. D. Aldoennetti

previously:

Nora looks like she’s nervous and continues to look around at the lithographs on the walls and the tables covered with tablecloths with silverware instead of flatware, and china cups, saucers and plates.

I ask, “Just a little ostentatious, isn’t it, General?”

He looks a little apologetic, but explains, “We frequently have congressmen here, or out of country leaders of one kind or another. It wouldn’t do to take them down to the cafeteria. Then too, this room is shielded and swept for bugs and it has jamming equipment built in to prevent electronic eavesdropping, so we can discuss classified material here.”

He gestures to what looks like small air-conditioning ducts or hi-fi speakers above each table. “Each table has it’s own sonic generator above the table throwing a curtain of white noise around the table and its occupants. It isn’t 100% effective, probably closer to 20% or 30% for each table, but by the time the conversation makes its way out through one and in through another it tends to muddy up the conversations enough that nearby diners inside their generator’s influence can’t understand conversations next to them which occur at normal levels. Of course if one were to yell then that would overpower the measures taken. We just learn to talk quietly in here, so the odds are much more in the favor of secrecy.”

“Impressive, Sir.” Now that I’m concentrating, I can hear a slight whooshing sound, like the sound made by the air nozzles above the passenger seats on a commercial airliner, or maybe a radio tuned between stations, pure static. Hmmm.


Admin Note: Originally published on BigCloset TopShelf by T D Aldoennetti on Wed, 2008/11/26 - 12:50am, Air Force Sweetheart -- TacPzlSolGp Chapter 28 is revised and reposted on Wed, 2009/12/30 - 03:48 PM. ~Sephrena


 

Racing a Greyhound:

 

Chapter 28

 

The meal was good, nothing to write home about but considerably better than the cafeteria and that wasn’t bad. Nora thanks us for allowing her to eat there and heads on home. I mention the need for a ride and the General calls down for a second car which will take me home. He is piling into his ride about the time mine shows up and we are both going out the gate one behind the other. My watch says 1900, late day. After moderate cross-town traffic, the car pulls up outside our house gate about 1940 and I get out and buzz the house, giving my name when they answer. The gate begins to open and I tell the driver that I’ll walk up so he can just turn around and go. That saves him a little time and gives me some badly needed exercise.

Entering the house, I hear Mom and Dad talking and wander into the room as I’m removing my jacket and cap, “Hi. Did you survive without me?”

“It was an effort. Do you need to go over there again tomorrow?”

“Yes. I’m about a quarter of the way through it all. If I arrive there about 0800 then I may be able to finish reading by 1000 or 1100. Then all that needs to be done is writing the reports. It’s pretty messy. I think I’m going to go sit in a hot tub for a little while before I go to bed. Have you heard from Randolf?”

“Not yet, but he isn’t overdue until the day after tomorrow.”

“Daddy, I have an idea. Whenever he goes out like this, add a wife to his cover whenever possible. One who is at home and who may call him to see how he’s doing. Just a few intimate chats as the days progress. That would give us at least an update on him so we know if he is okay or if he is missing. If he vanishes, then the wife could initiate a search for her missing husband without a lot of questions being asked as to why there has been no contact until he fails to return.”

“And I suppose you would be that concerned wife?”

“Not necessarily. It probably should be someone who knows the trade craft so they could say things to each other that a husband and wife would say but that are actually coded messages letting us know if he is still okay or if he is talking under duress. Maybe something when they are finishing talking like, ‘I love you, and her name’ which would mean he is okay. But if he says something like, I love you, kitten or lady or some kind of nickname then it means he has unwelcome visitors.”

“They probably do something like that now.”

“Oh. And I thought I had a grand new idea. Oh well. Goodnight, Mom,” I give her a kiss, “Goodnight Daddy.”

“Goodnight, Lucy, sweet dreams.”

“Goodnight, Lucy.”

-o~O~o-

Now for a bath.

. . .

Geez, I nearly fell asleep in the tub. Need to skip washing my hair tomorrow and do it the day of the embassy function, I want to look perfect.

I put on my negligée and robe and pad over to the bookshelf, pulling down my poor novel. I must have slept on it the other night because the binding has broken loose. I turn on my reading light and kill the overheads, then flow into bed.

Sometime later I wake up and put my novel on the night stand, then shut off the light.

-o~O~o-

Later, they wake me up in the middle of the night and tell me Randolf has been captured and I’m the only one who can save him. I find myself going to Germany where we manage to escape his captors, guns blazing all the way home. That was good, because we barely have time to make it to the embassy function. Somehow he got dirt on the cummerbund of his suit while we were running, so I borrow some makeup to wash it clean again.

My red, white and blue striped gown is now missing two of its stars. I must have lost them when I fell over the greyhound which had been trying to keep up with us ever since Rio de Janeiro. Rio was the only port available for our escape from the continent other than Bangkok and we knew they would be looking for us there.

We run out of ammunition as we rush into the embassy, out of breath. Somehow Randolf convinces them to allow us to borrow two machine guns to finish off his captors, who are still chasing us. We hose them off with green paint since the machine guns couldn’t use the blue.

Then we ask for asylum, because the next car arriving is a Mercedes. It disgorges three ladies, one of whom I discover is wearing a gown identical to mine even to the missing two stars. I’m about to go give her a piece of my mind, shortly after the first dance, when I go into labor and have our first eighteen children.

Oh, and somehow the ocean wasn’t there and we found it necessary to run back from London since we missed the train. The greyhound disappeared somewhere along the way, having gotten involved in a race with a falcon and a porpoise, who said that they were all going out for coffee, so they left.

-o~O~o-

Well, I never said all my dreams are realistic.

Morning peeks over the horizon shortly after my eyes peek out from under my eyelids. I feel like I’ve been run over by a truck, since yesterday was a bit emotional, not to mention mentally exhausting. Then I remember that I need to finish the analysis I was I was working on yesterday. I have no idea how to get there, nor do I have any concept of how to find his offices even if I find the correct corridor. That place is a maze. Probably because it’s an older building, replete with add-on after add-on.

Well, perhaps I’ll go in with Daddy, and then he can have a car take me over. Once there, the security guard downstairs can provide directions for me. I’m certain I won’t get lost. I will also have a chance to check on Randolf that way as well.

He’s not allowed to be captured because he is going to escort me to the embassy.

I walk downstairs for breakfast, putting my jacket, cap and purse next to Daddy’s jacket and cap in the front hall. I look at the wings gleaming on my jacket and remember that I need to stop at the exchange to pick up at least four more sets.

“Good morning, Mother, Father.”

“Good morning, Lucy. Would you like a little cantaloupe with breakfast? It’s pretty good for this time of year.”

“Really? Yes, I think I’ll try a slice or two, if they’re small.”

The steward comes in with my eggs, bacon and some tea. I ask about the cantaloupe as Daddy asks me how I’m getting to work.

“I thought I might go in with you and quickly check on Randolf, then catch a ride over. I’m not certain where we went so I hope the driver will know how to get there. The security people can direct me from there.”

“That’s good. As we ride in, I’ll arrange for your car. Whenever you’re ready, we can leave, I have a few things to do before we go, so don’t bother to rush.”

“Okay, Daddy. I’ll only need about ten minutes.”

“Good.” He winks at me, “Still afraid of going to the Israeli embassy?”

“I’m not sure…. For some reason I’m not as anxious about it as I was. Maybe the conversation about basic training Randolf and I’d had the night before he left was the shot-in-the-arm I’d needed to calm down. Then last night I had this absolutely weird dream in which I wasn’t at all afraid about going.”

“Good. I’d better be finishing up those things I mentioned. Come get me when you’re ready.”

“I will.”

Just after Daddy walks out, Mom leans over and says, “Tell me about your dream, Lucy.”

I go into all the gory details while Mom sits and laughs all through my story. I take small bites between my sentences, just in case.

After breakfast, I say goodbye to Mom and go find Daddy. He’s still doing things in his office, so I return to the front hall and put my jacket on, adjusting my cap while looking in the hall mirror. As I finish, Daddy comes out and grabs his jacket and cap just as the driver comes up to the door. Timing is everything.

-o~O~o-

When we arrive at his building, I rush up to check on Randolf while Daddy goes to a meeting. As I enter Randolf’s office I ask Eileen if he’s back yet.

“Yes, he just got in.”

“May I go in?”

“He just closed the door a few seconds ago, so go ahead and barge on in, he hasn’t had time to get in trouble yet.” She smiles at me, and winks.

I take her suggestion and do just that, taking him by surprise as he is about to sit down at his desk.”

“Hi, Princess. How did you…?”

I toss my purse on the desk and grab him in a tight hug, squeezing like I’ll never let go, then I pull back slightly, “Randolf, the next time you wait so long to come back without calling me and telling me you’re okay, I’ll slap you silly.”

I begin holding him tight once again, now with my head on his shoulder. He’s trying to pry himself loose and I just hold on tighter. “Promise me you’ll call.”

“Princess?”

“PROMISE!”

“Okay, okay. I promise. What is this? I’d almost think you like me.”

“I do like you,” I answer softly, “a lot more than I thought I could. I’ve got to go, though; I have papers to finish reading and a presentation to make. I just had to see that you’re okay, so I don’t go crazy today. OH! and thank you for the roses. They were beautiful.”

He finally manages to gently pry me loose and holds me out at arms length, looking into my eyes. “Does this mean the embassy is still on?” he asks, kindly.

“If you don’t take me, I’ll hound you until there’s no tomorrow.” I pout.

He grins. “I’m taking you, Princess. What happened?” Just then he notices my new wings and adds, “And what’s up with these?”

“I’ve been promoted, acting Colonel. I’m still paid as a Major though. You’ll be promoted soon as well, but don’t tell anyone I told you. I just had to know that you were okay.”

My arms tighten around him again, as he places his own arms gently around me, the perfect height for me, taller, but not too tall. We stand for a few seconds, relishing the feel of holding each other. As we relax our grip and start to stand back, I quickly give him a little hug before grabbing my purse and rushing for the door.

I stop and turn back. “What’s your phone number? I want to call you this evening, just to be certain I’m not dreaming.”

He gives me his number and I give him my direct line into the house, then I rush out.

Eileen smiles at me and gives me a ‘thumbs up,’ and flashes a ‘Well done!’ as I rush by.

I flash back, ‘Thanks,’ and am out the door, heading back down to see if my car is ready.

Lucy, now you’ve done it. Hugging him like that was dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb.

-o~O~o-

Daddy had given them a head’s up, but it’s a few minutes before a car is actually available.

They drive a lot of people around this time of the morning, evidently. They tell me that there’s one on its way from its previous stop and will be here in about five minutes. A minute or so later, they ask if it’s all right for two others to ride along, since their destination is nearly the same. I tell them that will be fine.

The car arrives and the driver comes around to let me in. I tell him that I’ll wait until the others arrive, and then ask which of us will be getting out first, them or myself.

He tells me we’ll pass by their building first, so I go ahead into the car and scoot across till there’s room for two more. I’m adjusting my skirt as they arrive. At first they’re a little confused, but the driver tells them that I’m headed to a nearby location, so I’ve agreed to offer them a ride in my car and will drop them off on the way. They get in, a Major and a Captain, thanking me for the courtesy.

I tell them, “Not at all. It only makes sense.”

We arrive at their destination and they get out. In a few minutes, I’m at that building again. I thank the driver and go in. Again, I check in through Security and receive the permanent badge they’d made just yesterday. They give me directions to the office I need and I’m off, looking for my General. Somehow, I manage to find the offices despite being turned around a couple of times. I did have to ask passers-by to set me on the proper path again, a few times along the way. I spot Jenny, and moments later see Staff Sergeant Joi. I greet them, “Hi, you two. Is the General in?”

“In and out. He has meetings this morning. He told me that Nora will working with you again today. I may need to get some papers out of the safe later, so I may have to borrow her for a few minutes every so often.”

“That’s fine. How are you this morning, Nora? Yesterday went a bit long. I’ll try to do better today, so you may be able to get home at a reasonable time.”

“If we get a free meal in the lounge again, then I think I can handle it.” She smiles.

I return her smile. “I’ll see what I can do. Could we have all the stacks we had yesterday. They can stay in the folders but they need to be organized on the table in the same manner, then we’ll add the new material.”

“Yes, Ma’am. As soon as I open the safe.”

“Nora? My name is Lucy.”

“Sorry, Lucy. Habit.”

“I understand. They are difficult to break aren’t they.”

“You’re telling me. Lucy, do you think we could give those two Majors another taste of their own medicine today if we tried?”

“That might be fun. I’ll see if I can dream up a suitable punishment for them.”

I go drop another dollar into the coffee fund and grab a cup, then go on to the conference room and begin to consider table space. I think we might place the folders closer together this time, since nothing will spill out, so they can all fit on the narrow end of the table. That will leave us the room we need.

“Oh good. Bring them over here, Nora. Let’s see if they will fit along this end.”

We arrange the folders and with a little overlap they do just fine. Nora has gone back for the second set of source folders which we place and she then goes off for the conclusions and my notes while I finish placing the original folders 5-6-5-6.

Unusual. Something’s obviously fishy here.

When she returns I have her place the new material at the other end of the table in a similar manner. It should also wind up in a 5-6-5-6 pattern, but it doesn’t. As she is placing that material I refer to my notes and use the marker to date each of the folders at the ‘raw’ data end. The dates tell another story which seems to confirm my suspicions. If I look at the original date for any given pile, the next data date is exactly 9 days. And the one after that 7 days and the one after that 5.

This is true in all seven columns except for the one’s that jump. If I look there, I find either 9+7 for the next piles or 7+5 for the couple starting in the second row and not completing until the fourth.

Far too many occurrences to be coincidental. Then the information found in them is nearly the same and in many cases the same phrase is used in several of the piles bearing the same date.

One more thing which indicates a master hand orchestrating the source information. I now begin to believe this orchestration occurred at or before the admitted source points rather than post collection. This means that we’re being led around like a bull with a ring through its nose.

Now I go on to the conclusion documents. It’s hard to imagine these are the result of the original material. Again I can see some hand directing the conclusions, but it’s different than in the previous material. The direction is the same but the flavor of the person producing it is different. It’s like the two are working for the same goal but not in well-orchestrated collusion.

They’re like two lumberjacks cutting down a tree. One is hacking away with his axe while the other is on the other side of the tree with a saw. They both want the same thing and that is for the tree to fall but they have different agenda’s to accomplish it. They are coordinated only in that they are both after the same tree, which tells me that they must find it difficult to contact each other, which probably means a mole in deep cover. This is looking very bad indeed.

As I go over the material, I talk through my conclusions and the reasons behind them to Nora, who, after yesterday’s tutelage, grasps it very quickly.

Now we compare the pattern in the conclusions and search for omitted data. Soon we have discovered that also and lay out the folders in the 5-6-5-6 manner as best possible. I ask her to bring more folders using a different colour, preferably red, and more rubber bands. She rushes off as I again tear out sheets of paper and begin making labels. This time my numbering starts at C-1, T-5 (conclusions/ Time) and continues for the piles trying to match them to the original material.

After everything is in folders and labeled we lay the new folders on top of the old noting some interesting things. First, there is an entire column of data which has not had conclusions drawn from it. And another column of data with four inputs over time but which has only one conclusion folder and only for the third input.

Secondly, there are double conclusions made on two of the columns of ‘source’ material.

I ask Nora to maintain the pile integrity but to return everything to the safe for now. As soon as we make copies of this new information we will begin to sift it to see what falls out, beginning with the column of data for which no conclusions were made and then with that data from which double conclusions were made.

Our pattern for the conclusions is 4-6-5-6 again interesting especially since with one column of data not concluded we should have expected 3-5-3-5.

Something is rotten in ‘Denmark’ and I don’t mean the cheese. As Nora returns from her third trip to the safe she brings the copies of yesterday’s notes and the new copies of today’s notes with her, my originals are now in the safe.

We lay out the notes in three separate but identical groups to show all of the material in sequence in each group. Now we first pay attention to the source information which has had no conclusions drawn. It seems normal enough but after an hour we find the elusive tidbit. This pile isn’t strictly necessary, since it contains data which is found in other source piles, but the omission makes no sense. It should have been considered as corroboration of the other material and, therefore, would have been vital for any real intelligence operation, unless the person directing the preparation of the conclusions is aware in advance that the source material has been orchestrated.

The individual here then would naturally ignore it rather than recognizing it as important to the analytical process. On the new pink tablets, my notes begin to spill over onto many pages.

Our attention now turns to the source information which has only one conclusion made for four source piles. Examination of this shows only one sentence which is important as it appears in no other source pile. That sentence has been carefully phrased to lead us down a specific fork in the possible paths of the source material. A fork I now believe was designed to lead us off into the woods, ‘safe’ territory, for the enemy at least, rather than find our way to a path which might lead us toward safety from very dangerous ground. An immediate response might still be possible, and might be effective, but just barely. The real data peeking through the holes in the smokescreen reveal glimpses of a catastrophic weapons system being readied for use on a global scale, presumably meant for terrorist extortion, but quite likely to slip from the hands of its presumptive masters.

More notes are scrawled onto my pink tablets. Now on to the double conclusions drawn from one set of source data. The flavor of the person preparing the reports is different in each set of conclusions but the underlying flavor of the orchestrator remains the same. Guidance has occurred here, but without the originator of the data realizing that the mole on the other end has pre-arranged conclusions already in place, just waiting for data to plug into the holes. More notes on the pink tablets. Considering the overall source material, I lay out a set of conclusions on the tablets and label them as Orchestrated.

Now I lay out a second set of conclusions and label them as ‘Mine,’ they are quite different and point us in a totally different direction. Reading my source notes I think about the possible nationality who could have orchestrated this. The flavor and mental processes don’t say German, Russian, or in fact any European country. I continue to think and perhaps fifteen minutes later have come up with three possibilities which I place on the tablet as One, Two, and Three in order of likelihood.

Now I do the same for the conclusions and come up with one national interest. I now feel 90% certain of the nationality involved in the underlying plot. Looking at my impressions, I see that my number two candidate for the origin of the source material and number one for the conclusions share the same nationality. This is a bit worrisome. I now have a fifth requirement which the General hadn’t specified: Identify the unique individual who orchestrated the conclusions. I ask Nora to type the original sheets of notes in the same manner as we have them placed here and then to make three copies of those typed notes. She takes the set at the other end of the table and goes out.

The questions are still running around in my head as I jot down more notes in the pink tablet. I don’t like what I’m finding. This isn’t Denmark any longer; the cheese seems to have come home to stink. I pop out of the conference room for a few seconds to ask Jenny if the General has returned. She tells me he isn’t expected until around two and then he has two meetings scheduled. I ask for an hour immediately following and suggest she not make any more appointments for the day since we may have to go out immediately afterwards or even during our meeting, in order to present the information I’m preparing in time.

She makes the appropriate notations in his calendar just before the phone rings.

I’m about to go back to the conference room when I hear her tell whoever it is that, “I’m sorry he is booked all day. How about tomorrow at nine?” I don’t know what the response was since I closed the door and hurried to the tablet to place another note. If someone ‘bumps’ me I’m certain she will let me know.

A minute later, I have an idea, and pop out to ask Jenny if we could obtain an organizational chart showing the personnel for the Agency which typically provides us with our data and analysis. She isn’t certain but will check on it.

Nora returns with the typed notes and we check them against the original copies.

They match, so I have her shred the copies of my handwritten material but not my handwritten originals.

Checking the time, it’s just after 1100 and there’s still something nagging at the back of my mind. I can’t quite place it. When she returns again I ask if she would mind going to lunch now rather than waiting. She’s amiable so I give her the pink tablets and my conclusion tablet to put in the safe along with the few papers still here.

“We’ll pull them out as soon as we get back. I’m up against a mental block and need a break.”

We meet out at Jenny’s desk and let her know we are taking an early lunch. ” We should be back in about forty minutes. Then we’ll watch the fort while you have lunch. Okay?”

She agrees and we head out for the cafeteria. Nora is finding us a place to sit while I have our meals on my tray and am getting my coffee. I’m about to go to the register, when I see those two Majors paying for their meals. I get out my money so I can speed through the process. As they leave to go into the dining area, I pay for the food and drop the change on the tray, then follow them out.

Again they’re over at the last table, which has been claimed by Nora. I follow them as they begin their harassment, coming up behind them and seeing that they nearly have her in tears already.

“Well, ‘gentlemen,’ since we seem to have the last table, I guess we’ll have to invite you to sit with us. Standing over at the counter would be rather demeaning, wouldn’t it?”

They don’t need to look, they know who’s behind them.

One of the pair gathers the courage to speak, and turns toward me. “Yes, Ma’am. I guess it is.” He seems a little crestfallen.

I smile at him, which he doesn’t expect. “Well, are you going to sit or not? There are four chairs, so we can all sit together courteously without problems, can’t we?”

They begin putting their trays on the table. The brave one says, “Yes, Ma’am. We were just waiting for you and the Sergeant to sit, Ma’am. Ladies first Ma’am.”

I sit and Nora makes a point of taking a little extra time, enjoying her moment, before she too sits and we begin removing our meals from the tray as the two men sit. I pick up my change and put it away. We all begin to eat and slowly conversation starts. By the end of the meal we are all chatting comfortably and we have all introduced ourselves. Nora and I begin to rise, so Jack and Bill get up immediately.

Jack, the brave one, says, “See you tomorrow. If we get here first, we’ll save you places.”

“I’m sorry, gentlemen, I have a prior engagement. Perhaps Nora would like your company.”

Bill says, “How about it, Nora? You’re welcome to eat with us.”

“Thanks, I think I might. If I get here first I’ll try to save a place for you both. Bye.”

They say good-bye as we leave, then they sit back down to finish their lunch.

Once back at the conference room, Nora goes to the safe for the typed notes, the pink tablets and my conclusions tablet. When she returns we begin again, still looking through the information for the elusive answer we need to identify the country which could be behind this. I’m beginning to think I won’t have the answer before the General returns. Nora has to leave; she’s scheduled to watch the desk while Jenny has lunch, so I continue the search on my own for the moment.


 

1996_pcc.jpg To Be Continued….

 

 

 

© 2008, 2009 by T D Aldoennetti & Rénae Dúmas. This work may not be replicated or presented in whole or in part by any means electronic or otherwise without the express consent of the Author (copyright holder) or her assigned representative. ALL Rights Reserved, including but not limited to ownership of Characters, final content decision, and more. This is a work of Fiction. All the characters and events portrayed in this book are fictional and any resemblance to real people or incidents past, present or future is purely coincidental. An Aldoennetti Original.

 

 

up
213 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Original comments to this story

Puddintane's picture

Good story

and I'm trying to follow as close as I can, only sometimes the intricacy of the puzzles being solved by Lucy are -imho- a little too complex and a tad detrimental to the story.

Nevertheless I plan to keep with it, the story caught my interest and I love Lucy. *heh, Isn't that a famous line from one of your most famous sit-coms, across the pond?*

Jo-Anne

Get Lost

There is a lot of detail in Lucy's description of the hunt through the data that I get lost trying to follow as well. But it's interesting trying to follow the thought processes involved with this kind of analysis.

Is 50 too late to apply to the NSA or some such?

NSA? Ask Erin...

I only worked with them occasionally, not for them (nor against them either but if you ask them about that they might jokingly say I did -- it wasn't my fault, I wasn't given all the data).

1955-12y5m.jpg Teddi (when I was more than a "few" years younger, )

God Bless You All...

Early 70s

I worked for the NSA for three years in the early 70s as a translator and cryptanalyst. No contact since 1978 when my Top Secret clearance expired and they stopped asking me to come back to work. :)

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

An Aldoennetti Original

T.D.; I'm sitting here watching a "Jack Ryan" Movie "Patriot Games" with Harrison Ford and reading your story and just grinning. Oh, Still like your though. Richard

Dreams

Gee, my dreams are not that interesting! Well, not since they changed my meds. :-)

What A Dream!!!

Are you sure that the Animaniacs didn't write it?
May Your Light Forever Shine

Hi Teddi,
Why do I feel the

Hi Teddi,
Why do I feel the creep's hand (possibly working for the other side) in this information that has been passed on to the General. He did "disappear" as it was and could very well be back over there in SEA. Wonderful suspense story with love thrown in for good measure.
J-Lynn

Gosh, this is kicking my butt!

I am so spoiled! I finally did get caught up and now I can't just pop over to the next chapter to see what is going on! This is so mean of you!

At least Lucy has found a guy who is not a total dweeb. I am fearful that Lucy is not finished with him yet. I hope she gives him a gonyectomy with a dull knife! Hmph!

Ma Salaama

Khadija Gwen

Guesswork

Let me take a stab at where this is going. Lucy's Ex is involved in the disinformation and it is aimed at throwing off her TacPzlSolGrp and maybe she gets another shot at him. Maybe I'm loony but that is my guess.
Huggles All you spellbound readers
MichelleA=Chelle_MM

guesswork -- Lucy says she would prefer

a nuke so she doesn't miss. But that could be a bit of a problem considering the material (not yet specified) which the information is hiding. A nuke could just spread it around... Hummmm, can we say Biohazard here??? Which brings me to the title of the next volume, "Assorted Biologicals".

Hows that for working in the title of the next book???

See, an old dog can learn new tricks from her agent and publisher...

1955-12y5m.jpg Teddi (when I was more than a "few" years younger, )

God Bless You All...

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

Air Force Sweetheart -28

My guess is that Thor and Lucy's ex are the goons as they might have the authority to cause trouble.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Notes on Chapter 28

Puddintane's picture
Notes for Chapter 28

Military Factoids: The Colonel’s insignia is the only US military badge of rank which comes in two mirror images, because the eagle’s head is always supposed to face forward. When worn singly, as on a cap, the eagle faces to the right.

US Military Officer’s Insignias

On June 11, 1970, Colonel Anna Mae Hays, Chief, Army Nurse Corps was promoted to the grade of brigadier general. She became the first woman in the history of the U.S. Army to attain general officer rank.

Gen. Ann E. Dunwoody became the first female four-star general in military history and also became the first female to lead a major Army command on November 14, 2008. On that date she was promoted in a Pentagon ceremony and later that day she took command of Army Materiel Command headquartered on Fort Belvoir, Va. Approximately five percent of general officers in the Army are women, which includes mobilized Army Reserve and Army National Guard general officers.

Women in the US Army Official Site

The following link takes you to a picture of an Air Force Colonel’s uniform, so you'll have to imagine a different colour for the Army uniform, since our heroine is in the Army. It’s a Photoshop template, so you can poke in any appropriately-oriented headshot clipping with ease.

Make your own Air Force Sweetheart

Here’s an Army Major template:

Make your own Major

Colonel is also the only named rank in which the insignia changes completely when going from one grade of ‘the same thing’ to the next. A Major wears gold oak leaves. A Lieutenant Colonel wears silver oak leaves. A Colonel wears silver eagles, the only rank to wear this insignia. All the ranks above Colonel wear silver stars, one star for Brigadier General, two stars for Major General, three stars for Lieutenant General, and four stars for General.

This is why we see Colonels referred to as ‘full bird’ Colonels in the story. They’re often referred to by their pay grade as well, O-6, at least in the world outside the story. Likewise, ‘two stars’ is a reference to a Major General.

There is a fifth general officer rank, five silver stars arranged in a circle, reserved for command in a time of declared war, General of the Army, General of the Air Force, and Fleet Admiral (of the Navy). The Marines don't have a five star rank.

Cheers,

Puddin'

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

"Make your own Officer"

Don't give Andrea ideas, please!

Penny

Rank

Diesel Driver's picture

I am the very model of a modern Major-General,
I've information vegetable, animal, and mineral,
I know the kings of England, and I quote the fights historical
From Marathon to Waterloo, in order categorical;a
I'm very well acquainted, too, with matters mathematical,
I understand equations, both the simple and quadratical,
About binomial theorem I'm teeming with a lot o' news,
With many cheerful facts about the square of the hypotenuse.

Second verse, different from the first etc. LOL

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major-General%27s_Song

I really like Gilbert & Sullivan

Chris

She'll get to the bottom of things, this is what I've waited for

Andrea Lena's picture

My arms tighten around him again, as he places his own arms gently around me, the perfect height for me, taller, but not too tall. We stand for a few seconds, relishing the feel of holding each other. As we relax our grip and start to stand back, I quickly give him a little hug before grabbing my purse and rushing for the door.Thanks!


She was born for all the wrong reasons but grew up for all the right ones.
Possa Dio riccamente vi benedica, tutto il mio amore, Andrea

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Another great chapter in

Another great chapter in wonderful story. I noticed one General grade left out and that is a 6 star rank held by only two men. The title for that rank is "General of the Armies". George Washington was one, "Blackjack" Pershing was the other. Both these were awarded by Congress AFTER their deaths. Douglas MacArthur did try to become another one, but was turned down. Interestingly enough, Pershing was the person who created the "device" to identify 2nd Lieutenants (a single Gold bar) in 1917! Prior to that, they had no identifying device unless they wore shoulder "boards" which were blank. Because of the "gold" color, 2LTs were often referred to as "Butter bars". Jan

Dreamy

terrynaut's picture

Lucy's dream is rather tame by my standards but I liked it. Dreams fascinate me.

I loved Lucy and Randolf's reunion. It was so sweet -- definitely swoon material.

I also continue to enjoy the analysis. It seems so obvious!

Lucy's handling of Jack and Bill was wonderful. I'm glad she didn't dismiss them outright as being creeps. She gave them a chance and they passed. That's a good thing for Nora. It gives her a chance to talk more about her favorite subject.

Ever onward! Yep. I read through the next chapter last night. Now I'm going to leave a comment.

Thanks to THEM!

- Terry