Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 872.

Printer-friendly version
Wuthering Dormice
(aka Bike)
Part 872
by Angharad

Copyright © 2010 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

Southampton is a bigger university than ours, or south tampon, as one of our students described it. Their biology department is mainly marine oriented and is very involved with monitoring the effects of oil spillages at sea and so on. As I drove home I pondered about our meeting tomorrow. I wasn’t sure how useful I’d be not having had much to do with teaching for several months. I suppose I would be some moral support for Tom, for what that was worth.

Julie could see I was worried, and being a teenager, assumed she was the cause of it. “Don’t worry, Mummy, I will do better tomorrow–in fact when we get home tonight, I’ll give you lots of help.”

“Oh good,” I said rather dismissively–why did I take on a teenager? I’ll definitely leave the next one to freeze, or at least remember my mobile phone.

I remembered that we had to collect the girls there should be enough room on the back seat for them. I headed for the school. The headmistress, Sister Maria, was waiting with them as we walked through the playground towards the entrance. Julie had insisted she come with me.

“Juuu-leeeee,” yelled Trish and ran to embrace her newfound fellow conspirator.

“Another waif or stray?” asked Sister Maria.

“Yes, ‘fraid so–I now know how the RSPCA feel after Christmas.”

“Full house?”

“Very, that’s number six.”

“Jesus, Mary and Joseph!” she exclaimed, “And you’re not even Catholic?”

“No–definitely not.”

“Ah, ‘tis a pity, so it is. You’d have made a wonderful nun.”

“How can you possibly know that?” I wasn’t sure if I was more intrigued or horrified by her statement.

“Ah, I know dees tings,” she said in her very lilting Irish brogue.

Her accent had become more pronounced. I wondered, “Have you been away over the holiday.”

“I did indeed, so I did, went home to see me mudder and fadder. How did you know?”

“Your accent is more pronounced, as this happens with people who return to their roots or their family, I wondered if this was the case.”

“Miss Marple stroikes again,” she said and laughed.

“Oh no, more Lady Molly Robertson-Kirk.”

“Who?”

“A character created by the Baroness Orczy, otherwise known as, Lady Molly of Scotland Yard.”

“A sort of Scottish pimpernel?”

“I think she did the seeking, rather than the Frenchies.”

“Are we going home, Mummy?” asked Mima who naturally hadn’t understood the references to The Scarlet Pimpernel, Orczy’s greatest hero, immortalised in film by various stars including Leslie Howard–the other male star in Gone With The Wind, which to me always sounded like a jingle for an anti-flatulent.

“Yes, dear. Say goodbye to Sister Maria.”

“Bye,” she said and taking my hand started to pull me towards the car park.
After dinner, we cleared up and I had a short meeting with Tom, then put the girls to bed and reading them a story. Thankfully they went to bed quite easily and seemingly straight off to sleep. I missed Simon, who had returned to London, especially when I had to supervise the boys going to bed. Julie was slightly more help, but I don’t think she had much idea about anything domestic. On my enquiry, it transpired that her mother did everything for her–I’m not sure, if she wants to be a girl, she can take the rough with the smooth, and I don’t mean her bristly legs.

Later Tom and I agreed how we’d play it tomorrow–least as far as we knew–allocations had to be agreed by the Department of the Environment, by Friday. Tomorrow was Tuesday. We had our application in. If Southampton didn’t get theirs in, in time, tough tittie.

During the night, when I was sleeping alone I had a flashback to my encounters with the nasty Russian men, several of whom I’d terminated, and was now being tried for by a Russian court. I couldn’t understand the language or the charges and felt frightened and frustrated. When some Russian cop turned up, looking like Luke Perryman, and pointed the finger at me, I lost it and screamed at him. I woke up with Stella asking if I was okay.

Next thing I know, she’s in bed with me and I slept soundly afterwards.
I was mildly puzzled when I woke up with something softer than Simon lying against me and saw Stella there. She explained I was screaming in my sleep and she came in to comfort me. I couldn’t argue could I?

I pulled back the curtains, ready to go into the shower and gasped.

“Wassermatter?” asked Stella.

“We have rather a lot of snow out here.”

“What about your meeting?”

“Exactly–what about our meeting?”

“If you can’t go, you can’t go.”

“I don’t think we have any option. If necessary we’ll have to walk it. The kids will have to stay home.”

“I expect they’ll want to get off sledging,” suggested Stella.

“Is Julie up to supervising them?”

“With the boys, she should be–shouldn’t she?”

“I don’t honestly know, Stel–if I had to guess, I’m inclined to doubt it, and will the boys be a help or a hindrance?”

“Don’t ask me, I’ve got less experience than you.”

“Tom’s up,” I said, watching him from the window. “God, he’s trying to dig out his car.”

“I’ll go and stop him,” she said.

“I’ll go and get two or three lazy buggers up and into action.” I ran upstairs and dug the boys and Julie out of bed. I told them to get dressed and help Tom get his car out of the snow. Julie protested that it was a boy job. I said very quietly to her, “So are you, officially, get digging.” She wasn’t impressed.

Neither was I when I saw her messing about with a shovel rather than trying to use it properly, while Danny did most of the work. I called her in and in the privacy of the dining room, pretty well bawled her out.

“Julie, you are a lazy good for nothing and I’m sorry but you have no place in this house. I’m therefore going to try and get you relocated or sent home.”

“What? You can’t.”

“I can and I’m going to. I’ve given you several chances to show you can change more than your clothes–you haven’t. You’re just an idle good for nothing.” She broke down in tears but I carried on my tirade. “I told you that actions spoke louder than words, but you couldn’t take the hint. I have an important meeting to attend with the professor, which was why we needed your assistance. You withheld it so I’m doing the same with my hospitality.”

“I’m sorry, Mummy, but I’m no good with a shovel,” she sobbed.

“You’re apparently no good with anything. Sorry kiddo, but I don’t have room for teenage passengers. We’ll discuss when you go, after I get home tonight.”

“But you can’t, Mummy, please don’t do this to me.”

“I’m not your mother, and I can do this.” I walked away to shower and do my hair.
I left the place under Stella’s command, informing her about my conversation with Julie. She was suitably horrified. “She’s a lazy cow, and makes promises she doesn’t intend to keep, so why should I?”

“Because you’re an adult, perhaps.”

“It doesn’t work like that, Stella, and you know it.” I told her where the sledges were and agreed that she could decide if and when the kids went out with them. I would phone her later when the meeting was over and we were on our way back.

Tom and I walked into the university, me carrying a rucksack with my change of clothes, makeup and other goodies like a comb and brush. He had his suit in a similar bag on his back.

The journey was treacherous and we both fell more than once in the slippery snow and ice. It took us well over an hour to cover the three miles involved and I was really pleased to see the university getting closer.

We had some hot drinks and listened to the excuses of staff who couldn’t get their cars out–two lived closer than we did. About an hour before the meeting was due to start and I was thinking about getting changed, Tom took a call.

“They’re not coming,” he said and shrugged.

“I’m not entirely surprised, in this. According to the net, the trains aren’t running and the motorway is bedlam with accidents.”

“Och well, we’ll jest hae to run oor ain meetin’ won’t we?”

“No point in me changing is there?”

“Unless ye want make the place look mair bonnie.”

I felt the mobile phone vibrate in my trouser pocket. Pulling it out I could see it was from Stella.

“Hi, Stella, how’s it going?”

“We have a situation, I can’t find Julie.”

“Have you searched the whole house?”

“Yes, twice and the boys have even looked in the outbuildings.”

“I’ll come home, if she turns up meanwhile, keep her in view–is anything missing?”

“Like what?” asked Stella.

“Money, clothing–if she’s legged it, she’d need a few things.”

“I’ll check.”

“I’ll get back as soon as I can.”

“Problems?” asked Tom.

“Yes, Julie’s gone missing–she’s beginning to be more trouble than she’s worth.”

“I used tae think that aboot ma Catherine.”

“Okay, okay, point taken–I’ll give her one more chance.”

“Ye’re a guid lassie.”

“Sometimes,” I said back and he winked at me.

“Often enough fer me,” he smirked.

“Daddy, if you’d only kept that ancient Land Rover taxed and insured, we could have driven in,” I complained.

“Go on, ye’ll be hame in nae time withoot me holdin’ ye back.”

“I’ve got a feeling this is how Captain Oates felt,” I said donning my coat, hat and backpack. “I’m just going outside, I might be some time.”

“Aye, let me know when ye get there.”

“I will, Daddy.”

I began the long trudge home, in no time I was very warm and certainly moving faster than I had with Tom’s company. I wasn’t sure if my anger was driving me or my anxiety about what the silly child was up to. If she was yanking my chain–I’ll flush her away once and for all.

Stella phoned again–still no sign of her and nothing missing. Her nightdress was on the bed so she’d dressed in her original jeans and top. I wondered if that was symbolic–she was leaving as she arrived, more or less–taking nothing from me. If she went out in just a tee shirt in this, she’d get very chilled very quickly. As long as she kept moving she’d be okay, but once she stopped–she’d cool very quickly and become hypothermic. Shit! I tried to walk more quickly.

“Are you alright?” asked a young man as my rapid walking found a piece of ice and I went flying face first into the snow. Thankfully I was and I set off again after thanking him–I was even hotter now with embarrassment.

Finally the house hove into view, and I crawled in the door–I was exhausted. The boys and girls made a fuss of me. I had to ask them to calm down. No one remembered seeing Julie after I’d told her off. Oh great–just what I needed and that was nearly two hours ago.

I would search the place myself and if I could find no sign of her, I’d call the police and ask for their help–as if they hadn’t got enough to do. She’s got to go, my nerves won’t stand much more of this.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
159 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Did she or didn't she

do the right thing with Julie? Well, she is in loco parentis but if she is to give her up then she would need to call in the social worker first before she did a runner. However, there is no question Cathy needed to set boundaries.

What a mess.

So the answer to my question is, yes, if she is irresponsible then, yeah, tough titties so I for one vote that Cathy did the right thing. I suspect what is going to happen is that Cathy will need to save her twice before Julie finally finds that gratitude bone in her body. I suspect also that given the cold and all that stuff, she may very well be found frozen and will need to be blue lighted to save her sorry butt.

Kim

Bike pt 872.

Cathy will hopefully not rue her decision about Julie, and Julie will hopefully also learn something.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Nobody Loves Me…

…Everybody hates me, I'm going into the garden to eat worms—a classic feeling of rejection; Julie is in a tense state, having realised that she's messed up her best chance of getting help from "oor Cathy", and is probably feeling suicidal. Has she gone to see Shelley and Tracie? Does Cathy know where they live? Maybe Julie said something to Trish?

I so hope the girl is going to be okay.

Hilary.

I'm a little saddened by

I'm a little saddened by Cathy in this episode, I agree boundries needed setting but Cathy really has'nt sat down with Julie and just talked to her, Maybe if Cathy talked to Julie and explained things Julie might be better, Not once has there been any kind of instruction given it's as if Cathy just assumes that as Julie identifies as a girl she will automatically be domestic. Trish, Livvie and Meems have all had some form of instruction from Cathy whether it be Trish polishing her gramps desk or Meems how to mix things.

Cathy has done none of this with Julie, granted it's not been long since Julie arrived, but all Cathy has done since she found Julie is complain at having another child and threaten Julie with sending her away or back to an abusive life. I suspect the young man who asked if she was alright was Julie in male guise.

Julie is only 16 and may not have even finished school technically, she's still trying to get used to being a girl and finding where she fits in within the family, it must be very confusing and frightening especially with threats of being thrown out.

I think with patience and nurturing Julie would try harder to help, I doubt she's just lazy part of it I suspect is lack of experience and knowledge and also fear. Mentally and emotionally Julie is probably more Trish and Livvy's age even if her body is older. She has a lot to learn and desperately needs Cathy and the family but running away is obviously safer than being sent back to her parents, I just hope for Cathy's sake nothing bad happens to Julie.

Megumi :(

Yule

Bailey's Angel
The Godmother :p

What is more worrying

Trains aren't running, roads are for the most part impassible. Anywhere Julie went would probably have to be on foot. As if Cathy hasn't enough to do?

My adopted daughter tried my patience a few times, and got within inches of a very red backside.

But you don't give up on them. Let's hope that the hard lesson that Julie needs to learn comes sooner rather than later - and before it's too late for it to make a difference.

Great chapter, Angharad.

Possibilities...

Given the weather and Julie's attire when she left, I can imagine she'll be found collapsed in the snow, suffering from hypothermia. Cathy & co will take her back home, probably administer some blue light healing, and hopefully both can apologise to each other and agree to make a fresh start.

After all, Julie must be pretty scared of being placed with an unsympathetic family if she's prepared to run away and risk life on the streets, while Cathy has been so preoccupied with what needs doing that she has misinterpreted Julie's situation and overreacted. Before running away from her parental home, she probably had a fairly pampered life, without needing to do household chores. In addition, she's very new to the whole situation of being a girl, hence the scenes earlier when she was copying Trish and Livvie's movements, and being counselled by Trish.

Once Julie's recovered, they need to work out a plan for introducing Julie to household chores, training her up when/where necessary - with the assistance of Tom, Simon and Stella when/where appropriate. Everyone needs to recognise that Julie will initially be an additional burden until she's settled, at which point she can start taking on responsibilities.

 
 
--Ben


This space intentionally left blank.

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Follow The Footprints

Given the weather, if Julie left the property, there will be footprints. If there aren't a clear set of footprints besides Tom's and Cathy's, then she is hiding somewhere in the cavernous house, maybe curled up in a ball in the attic or basement, or huddled in the garage or shed, feeling sorry for herself.

Someone is thinking

Great idea.

I was concerned as soon as Cathy told her in the morning. Figured Julie would take off rather than face Cathy's wrath again. Hope they find her quickly, If she's missing for long or injured, Cathy will face the wrath of social services. I don't like that at all.

I didn't like Cathy refering to Julie as a boy when she said shoveling was a boys job. Better to have said that in a family it's everyone's job to keep things going and boy or girl you do what you can, not what you feel like or what you think is "your job".

I feel sorry for Julie because at 16, if she hasn't built up good habits, it will take a while to change things. Cathy seems to have very little patience for her. You can't expect to build a responsible adult from a teen in a day.

I know, I know!

She's in the balloon! ;-)

KJT

"Being a girl is wonderful and to torture someone into that would be like the exact opposite of what it's like. I don’t know how anyone could act that way." College Girl - poetheather


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

*sighs*

Mixed problems here.

Julie HAS been a lazy and generally useless "helper" - causing more issues than she's helped resolve. In her favor, she's finally living full time, in a place that caters to her desire to be female, where she has a sister with the same issue and is obviously accepted, has access to lots of money - even if indirectly.

Cathy allowed her into her house, fed her, clothed her, and hinted at and expected a lot of help. However, she wasn't completely clear as to what was expected. Cathy also has less experience with teens than she seems to think. Having a 22 yr old and a 13 year old daughter, and knowing quite a number of other teens (both male and female, though no TG), I can say that Julie's actions are not unusual for a kid her age with no background.

Julie, apparently has NO experience with any "work" related activity in areas traditionally female. She just doesn't have a clue. And, it IS work. It's a rare teen that really enjoys WORK at HOME. Add to this, that Julie has evidence that Cathy & company are far from poor. Based on the telly, if she even thought about it, she'd expect there to be "staff" to take care of things.

All that said, it certainly sounded to me like Cathy was kicking Julie out. Cathy certainly read her the riot act, and said they were getting rid of her. What is she to expect? She tried the "crying" routine - that got her out of trouble earlier. It didn't work this time. Listening to Cathy - there was no forgiveness in her voice.

There's no way for Julie to know that Cathy has this kind of temper, but that she also cools down, and is more reasonable. In Julie's shoes, I'd expect that would mean shipping back to the parents (who are ready to beat the stuffing out of her). So, what does she do? The same thing she did before - run away from her problems. It solved them once, even though it hurt. What did she take? Nothing that wasn't hers to begin with. (If I read it correctly.) So, she's out in the snow, with not enough clothing on.

Who's fault? There's plenty of that to go around. There was yet another failure to communicate in Prof. Tom's house. *sighs* The key becomes finding the run-away, and begin resolving the issue. Cathy also needs to recognize her responsibility, but also that it's not ALL her fault. Julie needs to recognize HER responsibility (hard for many teens) as well.

Thanks for the thought provoking episodes.
Annette

You said it a lot

better than I did. (and yes, I survived three teenage daughters all with very different personalities)

I love it

Angharad's picture

when the comments are better than the story.

Angharad :)

Angharad

looks to me like

the comments should suggest lots of material for the next episode.

In this oen you showed us a view of Cathy that isn't too complementary. Maybe you have to grow into being a parent of teens.

Tomorrow's episode

Angharad's picture

is largely written already and has been for a few hours. So you can see how your guesses fared against what actually happened - assuming anything ever happens in Bike.

Angharad

Angharad

I wonder if Julie

like most teenagers has a mobile with her? Okay, Maybe she might not answer, but if she is anywhere in the house you would hear it ring!.... It does seem that Cathy is having problems with Julie, But when you consider what has happened to her recently it might be a bit too much to expect change overnight, So lets hope Cathy keeps her promise to Tom and gives Julie one more chance.

Kirri

Cathy and Simon's marriage...

...will be long and happy if the following piece of research is to be believed.

According to Angeles (2009), there is a positive relationship between having children and life satisfaction. Unlike for unmarried persons, there is a large and positive effect on life satisfaction that increases with the number of children at home for married people.

So, for Cathy and Simon's marriage to be long and happy, she needs to bring Julie back into the fold. After all, the more the merrier.

Thank you Angharad and Bonzi for today's riveting installment, with yet another cliffhanger to bring me back tomorrow to find out what fate has befallen Julie.

Positive Satisfaction

Reference
Angeles, L. (2009). Children and life satisfaction. Journal of Happiness Studies. Advance online publication. doi: 10.1007/s10902-009-9168-z
Retrieved January 13, 2010, from http://www.springerlink.com/content/a34114m070112044/fulltex...

I'm disappointed

in Cathy. It seems like the main thing she has tried with Julie has been bullying her and making it more than clear that she is unwanted and Cathy is willing to throw her away. She has done the same but not as badly to Trish just recently.

It is not at all surprising that Julie has run away after being told she'll have to go back to the situation she thought she'd been rescued from. What would be surprising is to find her elsewhere than wandering through the snow thinking about suicide, maybe headed for somewhere to actually do it.

In short Cathy seems to be acting a bit like an emotionally abusive parent herself. Here's hoping that realizing this doesn't involve anyone being seriously injured or dying.

Battery.jpg

Reflex?

I wonder if Cathy is reacting to her charges the way her parents treated her? I hope she realizes it or has someone call her on it and she can return to being her wonderful considerate self.

All the wrong reasons

If Cathy took in Julie as hired help she is wrong.

If she took in Julie to help Julie, then she has some lessons to learn.

Julie also has to learn some life lessons, but she has started the journey.

Leslie Howard also had Klinefelters, he was a XXY, surprise!!

You knew the meeting would be cancelled, didn't you. Julie will show up, almost frozen, and very apologizetic, begging to be able to come back.
Cathy has to relent. However, Julie definitely needs to be bent over Tom or Simon's knee.089.JPG
Cathy this is snow, 30" worth

Cefin