The Girl in Me -20-Chapter 55

Printer-friendly version

longhair2s.jpg

The Girl in Me
Chapter 55
 
by Erin Amelia Fletcher

 
Synopsis: Morwen a witty girl, who happens to have once been a boy lives day to day with a rather unique life. She is a Witch and a Gypsy. Life's never the easiest for Morwen, even with her powers that gives her simplicities in it.

Please keep in mind most names, and some specific details, have been altered, to limit the amount of Strife within those associated within whom may come in contact with this. Similarities of the story among any other stories movies etc are purely coincidental.

"I have been meaning to ask you, also....after you left I started back drinking the next day I felt no more of a need for it and Mary...Mark and I started to get along better, would you have any idea why that is?" asked mum quizzically.


 
Chapter 55
 
 
This chapter is narrated...

I calmed down, by the time I got home. I opened the door to my house and walked in. I took off my jacket and put it on a hook next to the door, and my purse on the miny hook underneath.

Mum was doing the dishes in the kitchen, and Mark was playing some video games. I remember when we were younger playing barbies, I never realized he didn't care much for the game.

"Hey, sis! Wanna play?" asked mark as I walked into the room.

"No thanks, Mark..." I answered and looked at him and continued "Shouldn't you be practicing getting your new power under control, trust me when you get a new gift especially a dangerous one it can overtake your control if you let it".

The screen flashed red, a voice came on the same time as the words came up saying 'Game over'. Mark said "See what you made me do, gees I was hoping to beat this level today" he got up from off the couch and turned off the game.

"Sorry, didn't mean to interrupt your sloth" I replied.

He sat back down on the couch and flicked through the channels. "It's OK, I'll get around to it when I can. Today is me day, just gonna sit around and play some games and watch tv."

I rolled my eyes, and left the room. If he wants to sit around all day that is his problem not mine. I walked into the kitchen and asked "Can I help, mum?"

"Oh hi sweety, sure you can dry" replied mum, handing me a dish towel.

I began drying the odd dishes, and asked mum when we would go to the mall. She sat the last dish in the rinsing side for me and replied "I will go and call a cab, right now. You seem rather excited to go to the mall, I am surprised you don't want to use that transportation stuff of yours though".

"Oh thanks mum, I am just not in the mood for it right now" I replied.

Mum nodded, and left to call the cab. I finished the dishes, and went upstairs fixing my makeup and hair, making sure there wasn't anything out of place. I went back downstairs as Mum and Mark was getting there jackets on.

"About time you got down, hurry up the cab is waiting" said mum, shaking her head.

I put on my my purple runners, as I was worried about slipping in heels on the ice. Maybe get some winter boots with a nice size heel. I then grabbed my jacket and purse, and walked out the door, putting them on as I walked to the cab. Mark took the the drivers side in the backseat, I took behind mum's seat.

We drove for around 20 minutes, before coming to the outlet mall. Luckily the traffic was good, we were dropped off at the Walmart entrance. It is a good store, though I would much rather shop at La senza, The Bay, or even Stitches and Victoria's Secret, but it was mum's money.

"Well I have a surprise to tell you too now that were here" announced mum.

Mark and I looked at Mum, and we said in unison "what is it mum?!"

Mum got a grin on her face, and said "We are going to not be shopping in here, we are going to walk through here to get to the rest of the mall."

"But we don't have that kind of money mu..." I replied.

"That is my business young lady, don't you worry. I think it's time we try Name brand stores, don't you think?" replied mum cutting me off.

I was about to say something else, but decided not to argue.

We were entering the mall, when Mark asked "Where are we gonna go first?"

"Victoria's Secret" I replied.

"No! Not till later, first winter jackets and boots, then browsing for anything else" interrupted mum.

Mark's dropped lip became a sly smile, as he realized he may get out of having to go to Victoria's Secret. We went to The Bay across the mall.

After much arguing with mum she let me get the cutest boots, they were black leather, corsetted up the sides come to about two inches below my knees, and had a 2 inch heal. My Jacket was a long black wool, with marble style plastic buttons of black and white. Mark got short flat black boots, and a red flannel jacket. We had a killer time, trying to find the men's section in The bay for him, but we came across it in like 10 minutes or so.

Before we left Mark and I both got several outfits. I got eight dresses, 6 tops, 2 pairs of pants and a pair of capris, as well as 4 skirts. Mark got 6 pairs of pants, 8 t-shirts, and 4 sweaters. Mum got several maternity clothes for herself. Mum spent on just this one store close to $850.
I was surprised, we weren't even done yet, and she'd already spent more one trip then I ever remember her of doing all my life.

We walked past a beauty salon, and mum gave me a grin and said "I haven't been to the salon in ages, and you two need proper haircuts for court on Monday, as well as your nails and eyebrows done".

It was true, the last time mum went to a salon I was 9 and because of severely split ends and what they called dead hair, they chopped her waist long hair to her chin length. Her hair always and still is very frizzy and curly. Her work at the factory has made it naturally frizzy, and has a tendency to spark people sometimes when she touches them. It is not a power she has, its from all the machines at work, and she near something that will give a spark like wool carpet or so.

I have a reddish brown hair like my mum however it is lightened by my dad's dirty blond hair that is already has many grays. Mine is much longer than my mum's now, being waist length and nearly perfectly straight, and my mum's though these days she cuts the split ends too often is only mid back.

Mark agreed to get his hair cut and properly masculinely styled, but wouldn't get his nails or even his eyebrows done. Mum gave up with a sigh, she is definitely still getting used to our gender roles reversed, not to mention that her only daughter happens to be far more feminine than herself.

We waited for a few several minutes in the waiting area, I looked through the magazines to find a suitable hairstyle I liked. Just I wouldn't allow any coloring done, I picked a beautiful long layered look, at least they wouldn't need to add extensions. With thinned out bangs, it looked gorgeous. Mum helped Mark pick out a pop star kind of look, she allowing him to die his hair a medium dark brown. Mum was going to try to get them to give her a straight perminate, (she always hated her curly hair) and then have them cut and style it to something nice to her shoulders.

Mark was up first, a tall skinny woman came and got him she had long black hair, and dark makeup I thought she looked like Morticia Adams lost in a makeup store her name was Melissa.

Mum was called up next, it was ironic as how she has had her mood change lately one minute she seemed fine about our reversals and then not. She was being served by a 30 something year old man, his name was Phillip I will not pass judgement on him as he was rather effeminate in how he talked and gestured, but he was nice all in all. There were only two men working there him and another I heard be called Greg.

I was brought to my seat by a nice blond lady, she must have been early to mid 20's her name was Veronica. We talked about everything, that was of good nature to talk about without risking pitchforks and torches. I told her about Nathan, mum and Mark. About the coming court hearing in a couple of days, and relatives coming by. I even started to talk about Felicity, though I didn't mention her being biologically male, as that would cross a dangerous line.

Veronice told me to bring her by, and I would get a discount next time I came for word of mouth advertising. I told her I will see what I can do.

She washed and rinsed my hair, cut and styled and so forth. Then I was brought to the nail parlor section of the salon, where they got rid of the polish on my nails, and put on acrylics on my fingers. They then polished my toes a sparkly red, and fingers the same. They then waxed my eyebrows, till they were thin and narrow. I was then led to mum, I said thanks to Veronica and then we were off.

Mark had been finished for awhile, so we picked him up across the hall at the arcade. We waited for him to get beat and lose the game. Mum and I talked, while we waited for him. She had a much shorter haircut then she had before, It was straightened best they could, and the frizz for at least the moment was gone. It was just above her shoulders it looked as if it was touching, but it was hard to tell. Her hair, rounded and then curled slightly outward come the bottom. Looked rather conservative, yet pretty for a woman of her age.

"How are you doing about all the recent changes mum?" I asked, looking at her.

Mum looked back and then back at Mark, and said "about you and Mar..k, as best as can be expected I suppose. I never thought I would see the day that you would be growing breast and painting your nails, or my daughter now my son get his hair cut short without a proper reason like head lice" mum paused for a second and continued "I never thought in a million years, that you above all people would do such impossible things".

I began to cry, and I said "Nothing is impossible mum, only possibilities and definities".

"I have been meaning to ask you, also....after you left I started back drinking the next day I felt no more of a need for it and Mary...Mark and I started to get along better, would you have any idea why that is?" asked mum quizzically.

I giggled, and said "Because I cast a spell on you, mum...the night I saw you passed out in my scrying bowl drunk as a skunk with several bottles around you. I knew he needed to be taken care of and I wasn't there to do it, so I did what I could do and that was to give a little of your old self back..."

"Thank you, you know I used to be like I am now back when your father and I were together before all hell broke loose that is" said mum interrupting me.

"I know mum, I remember very well how you used to be. I remember you reading me bedtime stories, baking cookies, playing with us on the floor, kissing our sores, and even drying our tears...at least mine. Then it all stopped; no more stories, no more baking, you stopped joining in our games, if we were sore you would tell us to suck it up, and if we were sad you'd say we didn't have nothing to be sad about..... So I took up with Mark as I could I dried his tears, and kissed his sores, made his lunches, told him many tales and stories, I even listened to everything that bothered him, until I couldn't help him anymore..." I said, looking down to the floor with tears in my eyes, just as mum's.

"Why did you stop?" asked mum.

"Because of envy and self pity, I became devilishly angry with her and you especially" I answered.

"Why were you angry with us?" asked mum confused.

I shook my head in the memory of why, the what seems slightly ridiculous now, but of very good purpose at the time. I answered "Because you and Mary had the life, I should have and you's didn't deserve it one bit. You two had girl time, Mary was budding, and menstruating, and I wasn't. The moment she came to me and told me she started, I screamed inside like bloody murder, my envy got really bad. In the same sense when you took day off work and let Mary off school for the day to go first bra shopping. The night happened, and I was so angry and envious that I tried to kill her!"

Mum looked at me in disbelief, and tried to console me but pulled back. Then she asked "did you think I loved her more than you?"

I nodded and she said "Well I didn't, though every time I looked at you I saw you father, so I couldn't allow myself to get to close. You back then looked so much like him it scared me, and the flashes sparked my memories, not good ones either. I know it isn't a good reason, but it was it. I also noticed some of your nature, but i guess I was trying to tell myself it wasn't true by doing and saying the things I did to you by it. I was baptized sweety when I was born, I was not raised very religious though, however I was raised with very old fashion traditions and values. You know I lived out in the country, but it wasn't were I was meant to be, but I did learn to accept the traditional roles of life. I was wild and free when I was young and I did some stupid things as a teenager, and as a child. Things that perhaps one day will come back and bite me in the ass."

"I do love you mum" I said and hugged her, she hugged me back and replied "I know hun, I love you too"

We finished our shopping a couple of hours later, and went to the food court to grab a bite to eat before heading. I got A&W Teenburger, Mark got KFC, and Mum got a salad.

"So mum, how did you pay for all this stuff, we must have spent well over a thousand dollars today" asked Mark with his mouth full of food.

"That's disgusting Mark, your not a caveman ya know, next time close your mouth" I said, rolling my eyes and nearly gagging.

"If you thought that was disgusting then how about this joke eh 'do you like sea food?'" replied Mark.

"You know I do, so what's the joke?" I had to ask, which turned out to be the wrong move.

"See food" answered Mark, as he opened his mouth full of chewed up bits of chicken, making me feel nauseous and need to regurgitate.

"That's enough Mark, be a gentleman and more mature" ordered mum, nearly slamming her fist on the table.

"Well how did you pay for all this stuff mum?" I asked, causing her to get irritated and then calmed down.

Mum got a sly grin and then a smile and replied, "Your Father paid off the child support, now that we are rid of Richard. Well technically, he got his sister to pay it off and were finally getting a divorce".

"Aunt Barb and Uncle Justin?" I asked, mum nodded and I replied "That's great mum, how much did we get?"

"We got enough, around 18 grand" answered mum with a quirky smile.

Mark looked down to his meal, and said he was full and wanted to leave. I understood that he was upset, he has no memories of mum and dad together, but knowing they are his parents, always and still does feel they should be together. He was 2 when they separated, he heard the divorce scenario before, but it never happened and never a sign that it would so he never took it seriously. He never liked Richard, though he was a father figure for him. Unfortunately it left him confused, as he and Richard always seemed like one in the same, sometimes I used to wonder if dad's claim that mum was indelicate was true as he looked much more like Richard than dad, and acted spoke walked everything about him of many thing seemed more Richard inherited.

Mum got up to use the rest room, I stayed behind to talk to Mark.

"It will be ok Mark it is for the best, trust me" I said trying to console him with my words.

Mark didn't say a word, he just kept looking at the cardboard box, of his chicken meal. He was trying to hide his tears, with a tilted face to the table and after a moments time he replied "How would you know, I wish I could just have seen how they were together, it isn't fair you and everyone claims all these things. I have never seen them, how could I have...."

The box flamed, and like an invisible cling sound Mark was gone.

To be continued...

up
37 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

The Girl in Me -19-Chapter 55

Interesting! A few answers, and an interesting cliffhanger. This is making for a most enjoyable reading.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine