Switching Playing Fields, Chapter 5

Printer-friendly version

Chapter 5

"Slow down, you don't have a train to catch," mom said as I gulped down my juice and shoved down a couple of pop tarts.

"Actually, mom, I do," I said with my mouth full. "Jessi's mom will be here any minute. We're not supposed to be late for the GAC meeting."

"That brings back memories," mom said. "I was in GAC in middle school and high school."

GAC was the Girls Athletics Club. Membership was mandatory for all players on the girls athletics teams at the school. I thought being a boy would exclude me, I was wrong.

"You're an athlete in the girls' athletic department, period!" Coach Martin said. "End of discussion."

I heard the doorbell. It was Jessi's mom.

"Oh my gosh, Janice!" Jessi's mom said. "I had no idea you were Lucas' mom."

"It appears they know each other," Jessi said to me.

"We were teammates on the field hockey and swim teams back in the day," Jessi's mom said. "Janice, you missed a great game last night. Jessi played great. Lucas played great."

"I wished I could have gone, Karen," mom said. "Amber had dance rehearsal. Can't be in two places at once."

"We know all about dance rehearsals at our house," Mrs. Mears said. "Both my girls dance and play sports."

"Mom, we've got to go," Jessi said.

"OK, let's get to the car," Mrs. Mears said. "Lucas, did you tell your mom about the trip to McDonald's last night?"

I shook my head no.

"He was the star of the show there," she said. "Everybody wanted to talk to the boy field hockey player."

"It really wasn't a big deal," I said.

"It was no big deal?" Jessi said. "You are such a diva!"

####

GAC consisted of every female athlete in the school. Field hockey players, basketball players, gymnasts, volleyball players, track athletes, tennis players and softball players, they were all there.

I tried my best to stay awake as they went over the minutes of the last meeting. They mentioned something about a car wash on Saturday to raise money for the teams, selling candles for Christmas, I couldn't remember everything.

"I'd also like to congratulate the field hockey team for their victory over Sullins Academy," said Coach Patterson, the girls basketball and softball coach. "Huge win for you ladies."

We stood up for the applause.

She turned the meeting over to Bayliegh Greer, a volleyball and basketball player who was GAC's president. Gina was vice president. I was amazed there was an organization where Gina wasn't in charge.

"As you all know, homecoming is in four weeks," she said. "We have to have our nominations in today, so they can get the ballots printed for homecoming queen election. As you know, each organization gets an eighth grade attendant and a seventh grade attendant, with the eighth grade attendant up for queen."

"We'd really like to make a splash with our picks this year, and show up the cheerleaders," said Betsy Wiggins, another volleyball player.

"Fat chance of that happening," said one of my teammates, Emily Crue.

"Eighth grade nominees first," Bayliegh said.

Melanie nominated Gina. She was up against a basketball player, a gymnast and a volleyball player.

We wrote down our choices. And much to the field hockey team's delight, Gina won.

"I think you've got a really good chance to be GAC's first homecoming queen in a long time," Coach Martin said.

Coach Martin, in fact, was the last eighth grade homecoming queen who was a member of GAC.

I wasn't paying attention when nominations for seventh graders began. I was too busy talking to Jessi and Kim when Gina raised her hand and asked to address the club.

"I yield the floor to Vice President Lenetti," Bayliegh said.

"All of the names nominated so far are really good nominees," Gina said. "But Piper and I've got a nomination that would really help us make a splash. And I'd like to put this nomination up for acclamation."

Suddenly some of the girls started turning around and looking at me.

"Oh my God, dude, she's going to nominate you!" Jessi said.

I slumped down in my seat. It was impossible to hide.

"I'd like to place in nomination Lucas Lacy as our seventh grade attendant madame president," Gina said.

"Are there any seconds to this nomination?" Bayliegh.

Every field hockey player in the room seconded the motion.

"The nominee is ineligble to vote, all in favor raise your hand," Bayliegh said.

Every girl in the room raised her hand.

"I'd like to congratulate this year's GAC representatives to the homecoming court, Gina Lenetti and Lucas Lacy," our president said. "Good luck Gina!"

####

I was still in a state of shock when Beth Garrison came up to me while I was drinking from the water fountain.

"Went to the game last night, I thought you did great," she said.

"Thanks," I said. "I know you guys have a game tonight."

"Yup, and I'm really excited," Beth said. "I'm starting at receiver and punter. You going to come?"

"Yeah," I said. "Jessi's mom is taking us."

"Lucas, I've got a question to ask," she said. "Our bet only required you to join the field hockey team. How come you stayed on the team?"

I laughed.

"I really dig it," I said. "Even with all that I put up with. It's really fun."

She smiled.

"I think being a field hockey player suits you," she said.

"I also think you're hot wearing a skirt," she said, winking at me."

I blushed.

"Well, how about you?" I asked. "Do you like being on the football team."

"I've loved football all my life," she said. "Play against my brothers and the boys in the neighborhood all the time. Why shouldn't a girl play football if she wants to?"

I have to admit, I admired her. And I heard she was putting up with about as much as I was. But I also heard she did so well that she had won over her teammates.

"Well, got to run, Lucas," she said. "Oh yeah...I forgot to mention...I think it's really cool you're on the homecoming court, too!"

Evidently, word had already gotten out.

#####

"Homecoming court?" mom asked.

"Yeah, I know, it's really out there," I said.

"Playing field hockey is one thing," she said. "I really hope you know what you're getting into with that one."

Truth is, I didn't, other than being in the parade and being escorted out on the field.

"It was Gina's and Melanie's idea," I said. "They want GAC to make a splash.

"Oh, I'm sure they will with you on the court," she said. "But if it's something you really want to do, I'm all for it. I think its good you're taking being a good teammate seriously."

"I appreciate that mom, I really do," I said. "I've got to go up and change, Jessi's mom will be here in a few minutes."

I was up getting changed when our phone rang.

"OK Gina, I'll tell him," mom said. "Jessi already knows? OK. But I'm leaving it up to him."

"What's up mom?" I asked when I opened my bedroom door.

"Gina wants the field hockey players to sit as a team," she said. "She wants you guys to wear your uniforms, except its going to be a little cool out. She said her mom is hosting a 'sweatshirts and skirts' party after the game tonight."

Jessi and her mom were waiting when I came down the stairs.

"I see you got the message," Jessi said.

We looked like twins decked out in our sweatshirts, skirts and sneakers.

"Gina's mom told me about the party at her house after the game," Mrs. Mears said. "I'll drop you two off there after the game and pick you up at 11. I've also got blankets in the car in case your legs get a little cool at the game."

I hugged mom and got ready to rush out the door.

"Did you ask your mom yet?" Jessi asked before we got out the door.

"Ask me what?" mom said. I'm sure after me joining the field hockey team and being selected for the homecoming court, she was expecting even more bizarre news.

"Lucas and a couple of girls from the team are coming to ballet class with me in the morning," Jessi said.

"Ballet?" mom asked.

I rolled my eyes.

"Come on mom, you know boys can do ballet, too," I said.

"Boys can play field hockey, too," mom said. "But around here, boys usually don't do either."

####

It was a little cool at the game, but we really didn't seem to notice. We were having a good time. And I guess the novelty of me wearing a skirt was starting to wear off.

I didn't get teased too much. And I laughed off what teasing I went through with my teammates. I didn't mind the strength in numbers.

I tried not to look too enthusiastic when we did the cheers right along with the cheerleaders, although the girls on the team did some of the moves they did. I did, too, but tried not to make it too obvious.

I also tried to keep up with the game as much as I could. It was pretty exciting. I heard a few insults hurled Beth's way.

"I bet you understand what she's going through," Melanie Piper said to me.

"Uh, huh," I said.

Beth was shoved to the ground a couple of times, which drew penalties. She wasn't having a great game until end.

Josh Bryan was on the verge of being sacked. We trailed by seven. Beth was the only open receiver.

He threw the ball to her. She raced down the field and scored a touchdown, sending the game into overtime.

I was trying to explain the game to some of my teammates. Athletic as they were, they were clueless about football. That is everyone except me, Gina and Emily Crue.

"We're going on defense first," Gina said to me. "Come boys, hold them!"

Each team would get the ball at the 10 yard-line.

We held them to a field goal.

"If we score a touchdown, we win," I whispered to Jessi.

It didn't look good. Josh was sacked for a 15-yard loss on first down. A holding penalty pushed us back in further.

"It's too long to try a field goal," Gina whispered to me when the boys faced fourth down.

"They've got to try a hail Mary," I said.

"A hail what?" Jessi asked.

"A desperation pass," Emily chimed in.

Josh almost got sacked. He threw the ball into the air toward a mass of players waiting at the goal line.

One of our receivers leaped amazingly high, caught the pass and landed on top of one of the defenders in the end zone.

It was Beth!

Gina was grabbing me and shaking me. Emily hugged me.

Everybody went crazy.

Beth scored the winning touchdown.

We lined up at the edge of the bleachers and congratulated the boys as the headed to the locker-room.

"Way to go 2-2!" I yelled to Beth, who was talking to a sports reporter.

"Thanks 7!" she yelled back, blowing me a kiss.

I didn't think anyone noticed. I was wrong.

"Oh...I think you two would make a good couple," Gina said.

"Oh, yeah," Melanie said with a laugh. "And she's the one who would wear the pants in the relationship."

I looked down and noticed my skirt.

I didn't really know if I'd have a problem with that.

up
187 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Gender stereotypes? What gender stereotypes?

This is shaping up to be a really good story - especially as at every turn Lucas (increasingly willingly) kicks gender stereotypes in the teeth as he integrates with his new team mates. Meanwhile, given Beth's performance in the football match, it wouldn't surprise me if she's nominated and elected at the boys' dinner.

I like how, although the tale is predominantly from Lucas' POV, sufficient insights are given into what Beth's doing to learn that she's effectively having the mirrored equivalent of Lucas' experiences. And I predicted a few chapters back, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Beth and Lucas don't end up an 'item' by the end of the tale (if not sooner!)

 
 
--Ben


This space intentionally left blank.

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Comical Gender Steriotypes.

There were many times in my life when I ran over the white line when it comes to gender steriotypes. My wife, being a rabid feminist didn't mind at all. The one relating to sport is: When the um Stupor Bowl was on, it was very hard for me to watch the men hurting each other, so I'd often flee to the Kitchen. Well, our house had a great room with a tall counter, behind which was the kitchen in a corner. So, when I fled to the Kitchen I could still see the family, but the TV not so much.

Often the whole family was there and they'd joke with me about my cowardice. Once my wife and daughter both grabbed me as I got up and made me sit down. The commercials were often very funny, but I finally managed to make it my job to prepare food while the foolish neanderthalls watched the game. They shoulda seen what was coming.

Khadijah

Another Fantastic

Torey storey. This is a great piece, please keep up your excellant work. It is greatly appreciated.

Debra Sue

This is a cute story.

I read all five chapters and found what Lucas is going through, is standard in many schools. But Lucas is girl enough to take it. Hmmm, stories like this usually have a tg plot in there somewhere, other than the crossdressing. Linda Lacy? Sounds good doncha think? Anway, I am hoping that Miss Lacy is accepted by the girls as she proves herself more and more. Thank you for a wonderful story.

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

Not Linda Lacy

Patricia Marie Allen's picture

Nah, it obvious. On boy's teams, athletes are often called by their last name. He'll be call Lacy by someone, probably on the football teem. Then it'll end up in print somewhere as Lacy Lucas. There you have, a new name without changing a thing but the order.

Hugs
Patricia
([email protected])
http://members.tripod.com/~Patricia_Marie/index.html

Happiness is being all dressed up and HAVING some place to go.
Semper ubi femininus sub ubi

Hugs
Patricia

Happiness is being all dressed up and HAVING some place to go.
Semper in femineo gerunt

Nice Story

I wish it had been me.
Hilltopper

Gina_Summer2009__2__1_.jpgHilltopper

Switching Playing Fields, Chapter 5

Love where this story is going. This story has maintained a cute factor, through out.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

"I also think you're hot wearing a skirt," she said...

Andrea Lena's picture

...winking at me..." Both Lucas and Beth are fitting in just nicely in their respective teams...and then there's this at the end
..."Oh, yeah," Melanie said with a laugh. "And she's the one who would wear the pants in the relationship."
I looked down and noticed my skirt.
I didn't really know if I'd have a problem with that.

...I certainly don't...Great story! Thank you!
 

She was born for all the wrong reasons but grew up for all the right ones.
Possa Dio riccamente vi benedica, tutto il mio amore, Andrea

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Princess??

RAMI

Was the decision to nominate Lucas to be on the Homecoming Court meant as a compliment or as a way to finally humiliate him? Up to now, Lucas might have had to wear skirts on occasion, but there was no need for make-up, jewelry or dressy dresses. He was able to associate with the girls and keep his male persona. As a Homecoming Princess, he will have to be more feminine, will likely be escorted to the party by a another male (unless Beth is likewise elected to the King's court)and therefore be open to more ridicule and harassment.

I think mom is too complacent with what is occurring, and should be warning her son of what may happen and act to protect him. Lucas is not uncomfortable being on the edges of gender bending, but he has not previously shown and still has not shown any desire to change his gender or become the "girl" in his relationship with any of the team members or with Beth.

RAMI

RAMI

Homecoming

Patricia Marie Allen's picture

I agree and expect that mom will have a sit down with Lucas and explain what goes on at Homecoming. By then, Lucas will be committed so far that he'll not sacrifice his honor and back out. It's then he'll get a true taste of cross-dressing and at the end, he'll be concerned about how he feels about it because he'll find it enjoyable. I doubt he'll admit, even to himself, that he likes it. ... that is until he finds himself wanting to do it again for no reason.

Hugs
Patricia
([email protected])
http://members.tripod.com/~Patricia_Marie/index.html

Happiness is being all dressed up and HAVING some place to go.
Semper ubi femininus sub ubi

Hugs
Patricia

Happiness is being all dressed up and HAVING some place to go.
Semper in femineo gerunt

Explanations please?

For those of us still in what's left of the Empire, can someone from over that way explain the whole "Homecoming Court" and "King's Court" business? Or indeed, "Homecoming"? I've heard the term used many times, but I don't get the cultural references.

Penny

Homecoming Court

It's part of a tradition at American high schools and junior high schools. Homecoming is a time when former students come back for school activities.
The homecoming court is sort of part "royalty", part "beauty pageanty", where a queen and her court is selected. I've actually never heard of a King's Court.
As far as escorts go...members of the court are usually escorted by a member of the opposite gender. I've seen parents do it, boyfriends, brothers, just regular friends...
But just be patient. Humiliation really isn't my thing.

BRAVO, Lucas! And I'm disappointed in Gina ...

Jezzi Stewart's picture

... and the other girls. I thought she and they would come around after the way Lucas played, but apparently they're all (since they all voted for him) still out to try to humiliate him enough so he'll quit ... unless they are willing to bend the Queen's Court dress code, which I doubt. (I also think Melanie's comment at the end was really nasty.) I'm surprised mom didn't say right off something like, "You know you'll have to wear a formal dress and heels and everything." Instead of just assuming he knows what he's getting into. I do admire Lucas though; his attitude is great, and given that attitude, I think he will insist on being the best looking and acting Queen's attendant he can be before Gina & Co. can have the pleasure of insisting he be so. I wonder if Beth will do reverse likewise if she is nominated to King's Court?

"All the world really is a stage, darlings, so strut your stuff, have fun, and give the public a good show!" Miss Jezzi Belle at the end of each show

BE a lady!

Nice and gentle

story so far, One i am thoroughly enjoying, Now i'm just wondering how long it will be before Lucas realises that wearing a skirt is, Something he might just enjoy!

Kirri

I like this one.

It's a cute story and fun to read. You did good with this one.

Hugs.

Maggie

Lacy & Beth

laika's picture

Lacy and Beth's story seems to be going exactly liked I'd hoped it would back in Chapter One.
If it doesn't continue on to them going to the prom together all happily & romantically
role-reversed that'll be okay too, but it would be so sweet. Great story so far...
~~~hugs, Laika

I like this story

very much. Sweet, fun, and well crafted. As for humiliation, in my view, you can only be humilated if you agree with those who are trying to humiliate you. What I mean by this is that no amount of name calling can make this brave soul feel bad if he can keep his head up. Its advice I sometimes need to take myself when it comes to my own fem side.

DogSig.png

Team Values as I suspected

This is the guts of the story and it is really great, the best teams look after each as there own and these girls have it!

This is really a fun story!

LoL
Rita

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

Torey mentioned homecoming at

Torey mentioned homecoming at high schools and junior high schools. There is also homecoming at colleges and universities. Personally, I believe that Lacy will arrive in a wonderful looking gown and all made up nicely. S/he will be the "Belle of the Ball" so to speak. Janice Lynn