Switching Playing Fields, Chapter 7

Printer-friendly version

Chapter 7

"Ladies, wear the skirts to practice, Coach Martin."

That was the sign that greeted us on the door of the auxiliary gym.

"Hey coach, what gives?" Emily Crue asked coach before we went to get dressed.

"CNN is here to film our practice and football practice," Coach Martin said. "They want to interview Lucas and Beth after we're done this afternoon."

"And they want to see me practice in a skirt?" I said, rolling my eyes. "Coach Martin, do I have to do this?"

Someone e-mailed them the story the local newspaper did on us. That someone was Coach Martin.

"You are an extraordinary young man," she said. "Beth is an extraordinary young lady. I think you've got an extraordinary story to tell."

She also confessed to another motive.

"We are 4-0 heading into our homecoming game on Wednesday," Coach Martin said, "yet we can't get anybody in the seats to see how hard you and your teammates play. If this gets more fannies there to cheer us on, it will be worth it."

CNN wanted to show me practicing in a skirt and Beth in football gear to get "the full effect."

"The field hockey player takes ballet and is one of the school's homecoming princesses. The star receiver for the football team holds the state record in the 100 meters for 13-year-olds and is quite a home run hitter. That may not sound unusual...unless the field hockey-homecoming princess happens to be a boy...and the football playing-home run king happens to be a girl. That's the case here at Spring Hill Middle School, I'm Soledad O'Brian and this is their amazing story."

"You know this is all your fault," I whispered to Beth. She knew I was joking.

"Oh shut up, you're enjoying this," she said. "You are such a diva!"

I was wearing my field hockey skirt. She was wearing her football practice gear. The CNN reporter was sitting in a chair between us.

The interview lasted about 30 minutes. They also interviewed our coaches and our teammates. We told the reporter about the teasing we took, the cheap shots on the field. We also told her how much we appreciated our teammates rallying around us.

"I know it may seem strange to other people, but I love playing field hockey, I love my teammates," I said during the interview. "I don't mind wearing the skirt, it's part of the uniform. It's no big deal."

It was neat listening to our teammates stick up for us, especially the ones who didn't want us on the team when the season started.

"Oh no, I didn't want Lucas on the team," Gina said. "I did my best to run him off. But he really works hard out there. He's proven to us he belongs. He's one of us. He's one of the girls, now. As for the teasing he takes, he knows we have his back."

"Beth is an amazing athlete," Josh Bryan said. "She outhustles us. She's got the best hands on the team. If she's open and I throw it to her, I know she's going to catch it. She's like a little sister to us. If someone takes a cheap shot, we'll go to her defense. She knows we'll protect her."

"OK gang, that's a wrap," Coach Martin said.

"Have you got choreography rehearsal next?" Beth asked.

"Yup, and I'm really tired," I said. "I'll be glad when its over on Thursday. I really appreciate your help with the tap routines."

"I'll bet the dances are going to be really cool," Beth said. "I'm looking forward to seeing you in the top hat, tap shoes and cane."

"I know I'm complaining too much," I said. "It's a lot of work, but its actually a lot of fun, too. It could be worse, too. The eighth graders are having to do a talent competition as part of the vote for queen."

#####

"I've never seen this many people for a field hockey game before," Coach Martin told Coach Parker when we took the field for warmups for our game against East Highland.

Mr. Boldin, our principal, told her a few minutes later that he counted 7,000 paid receipts in a stadium that was normally near-empty for our games.

"At $5 a head, you've just funded the entire girls' athletic budget for the next two years," he said. "But more importantly, I looked it up. This will be the largest crowd ever to watch a field hockey game in the history of the state. Not even the high schools or colleges have drawn this much for the game."

The entire football team showed and sat in the student section. Every one of them wore skirts, as Josh promised, except for the lone solitary player in the middle of the crowd, Beth. She wore jeans.

"She would have worn a skirt, but the guys insisted she wear jeans to go better with the theme," Coach Jackson told Coach Martin.

"Oh my God, now that's funny," Gina said, draping her arm around me. "And it's pretty ugly."

"Lacy, please take this as a compliment," Melanie Piper said, also draping her arm around me as the three of us stood in amazement looking at the student section. "But you are the only boy who can pull the look off."

"Yeah, you always look good in a skirt," Gina said. "They look pretty ridiculous -- funny -- but ridiculous."

"Thanks, I think?" I said.

"Same starting lineup as last week, except one change," Coach Martin said. "Megan's cramping up. Lucas I need you at midfielder. Jessi, you're starting at fullback. I'll rotate the three of you if Megan gets to feeling better. If not, there will be no breaks for the two of you. You'll be in there the entire game."

Midfielder, at least on our team, is an offensive position. But I knew my job would be getting the ball to Gina, Melanie and Emily. They were our scorers. I was still expected to give Jessi and the other defenders help.

We fed off the energy from the crowd. Gina took the ball from the opening whistle and raced right down the field untouched. She easily put the ball in the net.

It caught East Highland completely by surprise. Jessi stole the ball on their first trip up the field. She flicked it to me.

I made one of my best passes all season to Melanie, who put it easily in the net. We led 2-0 in the first minute of the game. We won going away,8-0. Gina played the game of the year, scoring five goals.

We were proud of Kim, pitching a shutout at keeper.

We raced off the field to a standing ovation.

"I'm so proud of you!" Coach Martin said. "East Highland is a better team than we made them look today. I want you to enjoy the homecoming activities the rest of the week. Really support Gina and Lucas tomorrow night at the show. Come back Monday ready to work. If we win next week, we're in the conference championship game."

#####

Dress rehearsal for the show was in the afternoon. The queen candidates each went out and bought dresses for the talent competition.

That wasn't the case for the seventh grade members of the court. We had three dance numbers to perform at the beginning, middle and end of the talent competition.

We had been practicing with our canes, top hats and tap shoes since we were nominated. Miss Baldwin, the cheerleader sponsor, rented the costumes.

"Sorry Lucas, I got the costumes before we knew who was going to be in the court. I didn't even remotely take into account that we would have a boy in the court."

The costume? I could have died when I first saw mine. There was a white blouse, a red neck tie and a black tuxedo jacket. Yeah, I know that doesn't sound too bad. But did I mention the jacket was sequined?

But that's not the best part. There were the matching black sequined shorts, which were, actually, well, a little short. Did I also mention we had to wear stockings...fishnet stockings?

The topper was having Mrs. Tanner, the drama teacher, apply the makeup.

"You have to wear makeup because of the lighting," she said. "Guys have to wear makeup in our shows."

That's true. But normally their makeup doesn't match the girls. Normally, they don't wear makeup with glitter, which I was told was supposed to go with the sequins.

"Oh come on, you look cute," Beth said, trying to reassure me She and some of the football players were working as part of the tech crew.

"Cute wasn't exactly the look I'm going for," I said. "Besides, everybody I know is going to be out in the audience."

That included my mother. I knew she was going to die when she saw me in this get up.

"Oh my God, look at the crowd!" one of the other members of the court said before we took the stage for our first number. She was right.

It was packed.

I have to admit I forgot what I was wearing when we went out on stage. I really enjoyed it. And to my amazement, I didn't mess up!

"Coach Martin, I think my eyesight may be going," Mr. Boldin said. "Which one of them out there is supposed to be the boy? I swear, I don't see a boy out there."

"Lucas is third to the left, and he's doing so good!" Coach Martin said. "And your eyesight isn't going. I've heard the girls on the team say he has got to be the only boy in the school to pull something like this off. It's amazing how he blends in."

She turned around to talk to Miss Hunter.

"I really don't know how he does it," she said. "I addressed the team as only ladies and girls at practice at first because I knew about there were mixed feelings. But its amazing how he fits in and has never had a problem with it. It's weird. He's not one of those really effeminate boys. He doesn't act sissy and he's a better athlete than people give him credit for. But he embraces his role. When he's at a team meeting, practice, at a game, or up on that stage, he's one of my girls."

Mom and my sister sat with Jessi and her family during the performance.

"I wish I brought my camera," Mom said. "He looks so cute out there. And my boy can really dance."

"Yes, he sure can, he's doing awesome," Mrs. Mears said. "Jessi, I know he's probably dying in that costume, but he looks so cute, not gaudy at all. And I've got a digital camera in my purse."

I rushed off stage following our second number. Gina was about to take the stage for her number. From the look on her face, she looked really nervous.

"You look gorgeous, Lucas!" she said, giving me a kiss on the cheek.

"Thanks, Gina, you know this look is growing on me," I said, hoping the humor would help her relax. "You think we can talk Coach Martin into letting us wear fishnet stockings instead of Under Armour when the weather gets cold?"

"And glitter makeup, how cool would that look?" she said before walking out on stage.

"You know her look is about as radical for her as yours is for you," Beth said when Gina took a seat at the piano.

She wore a red sequined, strapless dress. Her hair was in curls.

"I think she's glamorous," I said.

She wowed the crowd. I never knew she could sing, or play the piano.

She brought the crowd to its feet as she sang and played Gershwin's "I Got Rhythm."

"You know Hobbette, I'm so glad we're going through this together," she said when it was over.

I was really amazed when it was over. I was scared it was going to feel like a freak show.

Everyone's reaction really surprised me.

Gina and I posed for pictures together for her parents, for mom and for Coach Martin.

"Miss Hunter, will you take a picture of me and my kids?" Coach Martin said, putting her arms around us. "They did so good tonight. They've also got a big day tomorrow."

"Yes we do, baby sister," Gina said. "Mom and I will be around to pick you up early. We get to skip school tomorrow to get all dolled up for the parade and the football game."

up
199 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

An interesting comment

It's weird. He's not one of those really effeminate boys. He doesn't act sissy and he's a better athlete than people give him credit for. But he embraces his role. When he's at a team meeting, practice, at a game, or up on that stage, he's one of my girls."

Perhaps this story doesn't have to take the path well worn. Perhaps a boy can be comfortable in his femininity without having to become a girl - though I'm sure that would disappoint a large number of readers.

So far nothing to give a real clue which path will be chosen and please Torey let the story go where you want or need it to go.

The difficulty with serials is the audience wants to steer the bus instead of riding it. So as the bus driver used to say when I rode it during my school years, "Everyone sit down. The bus doesn't move until you all sit down!"

Commentator
Visit my Caption Blog: Dawn's Girly Site

Visit my Amazon Page: D R Jehs

Black Trousers

Okay, I know we're supposed to be willing to suspend disbelief and let the story flow its own way. One can't help but wonder, though, if in the real world the choreographer wouldn't have at least let Lucas find his own black trousers to wear with the outfit. Black fishnet stockings are fairly risque for 13 year old girls as it is. A bit too sexualizing, one might argue. For a boy, it seems too much to ask. Regardless of the good humor of the parents of the community, I can imagine them being uncomfortable with this.

The majorettes at my high school wore that outfit

Years ago, which served as the inspiration. It wasn't risque at all the way they did it. It was actually rather classy the way they did it.

And yes, dance studios would have the boys in black trousers in similar circumstances, but with the jackets being sequined, regular black trousers in this case wouldn't be a match.

Fishnet stockings.

By someone it was already mentioned that Torey here has decided to deride all public stereotypes concerning gender behaviour and a dress code.

Here Torey en passant was do away with our representation about fishnet stockings.Мы, in the majority, we consider their as part of "uniform" of the prostitute.

But unless only on clothes we define who before us - the whore or the "decent" woman?! Of course is not present - we do a final conclusion on behavior of this woman.

By the way you have paid attention as easier Torey has appointed Lucas homecoming princess?

You remember what fight it was required to win for this purpose Arecee?!

Yours faithfully.

I'm so glad Gina said this!..

Andrea Lena's picture

He's one of us. He's one of the girls, now. As for the teasing he takes, he knows we have his back." and then....
..."You know Hobbette, I'm so glad we're going through this together," she said when it was over.
Thanks again, Torey for a great tale!


She was born for all the wrong reasons but grew up for all the right ones.
Possa Dio riccamente vi benedica, tutto il mio amore, Andrea

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

I am loving this story!

I find myself hoping he stays a boy, but one who is comfortable with his feminine side. But I wont cry if he ends up becoming a girl either. The attitude of everybody to his crossdressing is fantastic. If only all boys who wanted to wear dresses got his level of support!

DogSig.png

This is a really cute chapter, it really is.

But I have to take exception to a comment by commentator that said; "Perhaps a boy can be comfortable in his femininity without having to become a girl..." Lucas doesn have to become a girl because she is a girl. She will need corrective surgery to make her body match her mental femininity, but right now Lucas is all girl. I would love to see the team inaugurate her as a girl by giving her a girl's name. That would be so precious. And playing to a standing room only stadium leaving the winners, the crowd could have never given a better compliment than a standing ovation. It is really cool the way Gina has accepted Lucas into the team and the way the coach addresses the team as ladies or girls, inlcuding Lucas in that. It would be so nice if Lucas continues to be a girl through school, and start her physical transition. Lucille for prom queen, anyone? I am loving this story more and more, because each chapter is just so cute and precious. But commentator Lucas is as much a girl as any girl on the Lady Tiger team.

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

Great story

I love the story but disagree with the comment that Lucas is a girl. If the author decides to take the story that way, ok but that is not yet been shown. I can't wait to see where this goes.
This is a site for transgender fiction, but if this story leaves a female that is comfortable in manly roles and clothing, and a male in feminine roles and clothing while maintaining thier birth gender, and being comfortable in either role. I would find this to be a refreshing break from the norm. Wearing a skirt while dancing around the fire, adds a wonderful depth to the dance, the same attire while splitting wood for the fire is cumbersome at best. The person wearing that skirt, however comfortable they may be while wearing it, may be transgendered, or not. I will wait to see where this journey takes us, as penned by the author of this story.

There was a time when glorious silks, velvets, brocades and yards and yards of hand tatted lace were included in the realm of manly clothes, and was a way for rich men to show thier wealth. having fine fabrics caress your skin, or yards and yards of skirt swirling around your legs is a lovely feeling, but that does not make you transgendered or gay or any other stereotype. I personally think that if all males who wanted to explore the thier feminine side, or simply wanted the freedom to explore the wealth of fine fabrics, color and clothes choices that are now only permisable to the fair sex had this type of support, the equal rights movement would suddenly find itself leaps and bounds ahead. I have friend who is a genentic female, a girly girl who loves cooking and gardening, holds a doctorate in biology, but had just as much fun redoing the plumbing in her house, by herself as she does when belly dancing. I love seeing people who are not constrained to standard roles, or inhibited by nonsensical traditions that state you can't do x becuase you are a (insert gender here) and can find enjoyment in all that life has to offer

For me, personally

Tommy Browder Tales by Randalynn seem very similar to this story. Both protagonists are comfortable regardless of what they wear.

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

I beg to differ

What Lucas is doing is being part of the team and doing what it takes to be a good team player. And his enjoyment doesn't necessarily come from 'being a girl' but rather by being a part of something bigger than himself - the team.

The activities he engages in are the result of his desire to fit in. Deciding that his actions mean he is a girl comes dangerously close to stereotyping. Lucas might be one but there is also nothing that says he won't walk away from this experience after high school remembering a wonderful time as a Hobette without a need to carry it forward. Perhaps he will but that has yet to be seen.

I'm sitting down driver.

Commentator
Visit my Caption Blog: Dawn's Girly Site

Visit my Amazon Page: D R Jehs

Sorry Barbara, But not all

KristineRead's picture

Sorry Barbara,

But not all of us need to have surgery to be who we are... Some of us are content to have time to spend letting the girl out for a while, but are happy to be husbands and fathers the rest of the time.

I don't know which way Lucas will go, that's up to the author, and she is doing a great job, and I'll be ok with either outcome. In most cases I do like to see the acceptance and the move on, but once in a while a character like Lucas comes on that simply works either way.

Hugs,

Kristy

I'm with You Barbara all the way

Lucas has been lifted into the realm of womanhood purely by his deeds and dedication and what's in his heart.

This is a plane that most males will never experience!

LoL
Rita

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

Switching Playing Fields, Chapter 7

The way that the teams are backing their special team mates is cool. And the role reversal is top notch, too.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Lucas is an awesome young man

... but somebody has to do it. Otherwise where will young women be able to find a mate who is not derived from 'manly' rough tongued, football watching, misogynous idiots?

Kim

Good on you Kimmie!

You are so Very Right!

PS.
You could also include cricket in there!

LoL
Rita

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

I predict that CNN story

I predict that CNN story will play a big part in upcoming episodes, as Lucas's dad will not be pleased with it.