Switching Playing Fields, Chapter 10

Printer-friendly version

Chapter 10

I soaked in the silence of the locker-room one more time.

I put on my bottoms, the skirt and pulled on the jersey. I pulled on my ankle socks and cleats.

The uniform never seemed to look cleaner. I pulled out a brush and combed my hair one, trying to make sure I looked really nice.

We were making an end of the year team photo with our conference championship trophy out on the field.

This photo was going to hang in the gym where all of the portraits of conference championship teams hung. Not in the auxiliary gym, but the big gym where the basketball and volleyball games are played, and where the boys have P.E.

If someone asked me when this season began how I'd like my picture hanging on the wall with me in a skirt, I would be looking for a rock to crawl under.

Not now. I look forward to coming back and saying "that's me!"

I took one more look in the mirror before heading across the hall to Coach Martin's office.

It was sad thinking this would be the last time I'd wear the uniform until next fall.

"Come in!" Coach Martin yelled after I knocked on the door.

"Have a seat Mr. Lacy," Coach Martin said. "You like nice. The girls are still getting ready. You know how they like to primp."

I rolled my eyes. I didn't have the courage to tell her I kinda-sorta picked up the habit from them.

"You wanted to talk to me about something?" I asked.

"Yup, I do Lucas," she said. "I was thinking about the game the other day. When Gina was tripped, she passed you the ball. You had the clearest shot on the goal. I even watched it on film to make sure. Why did you pass the ball to Jessi?"

"I thought they were about to close in on me," I said. "I didn't think I had enough time to get the shot off."

"That answer won't cut it, Mr." Coach Martin said. "I'm not only your coach, I'm your priest and its confession time. I want the real reason why you did it."

"The reason why Creekmore advanced to the championship was because they had boys on the team," I said. "I didn't want to take the shot because I didn't want anyone to say we won it because we had a boy on our team. We're a girls team and I wanted the girls to get the credit."

Coach Martin smiled.

"I thought you were going to say something like that Lucas Lacy," Coach Martin said. "I'm very proud of you for having that kind of attitude. But next year, if I ever see you passing up an open shot, I'm going to run out on the field and give you a kick in the pants."

Emily and Jessi put their arms around me as we walked out on to the field.

"Okay, I want the team to line up in front of the north goal," the photographer said.

The photographer told Coach Martin he wanted us in two lines.

"We've got seven seventh graders and seven eighth graders," Coach Martin said. "Seventh graders, I want you to sit Indian-style. We'll put the trophy in the middle. I want the eighth graders to stand behind them. I'll stand at the end of the line on the left. Coach Parker, you get on the right."

We took several photos before the photographer finished up.

"Before everybody runs off I want to remind you of the team banquet on Saturday at 6 in the cafeteria," Coach Martin said. "Each family brings a cover dish. I want everybody in Sunday best."

Emily raised her hand.

"Yes, Miss Crue," Coach Martin said.

"We waived the Sunday best rule for Lucas during the season," Emily said. "He got to wear a shirt, tie and khakis. What will he get to wear at the banquet?"

"That's his option," Coach Martin said.

Suddenly the girls started chanting "dress, dress, dress, dress!"

They clapped and cheered when I shrugged my shoulders.

"We'll help you pick out something, some of us have to pick something out for ourselves anyone," Jessi said.

"Okay, but nothing gaudy, nothing tacky," Coach Martin said.

"I'll wear a dress, but I won't wear any makeup," I said. "I draw the line on makeup."

"It's a deal," Gina said.

#####

"You never cease to amaze me," Mom said when hearing the news.

"I've put up with spandex shorts, field hockey skirts, sports bras, a homecoming dress. I guess I'll put up with this, too."

"Thanks Mom," I said. "The girls will be here in a few minutes."

"Have you got any more surprises?" Mom said. "You're not going to enter any beauty pageants or demand to join the girl scouts are you?

"Come on Mom, get for real!" I said. "I'm not going to all of the sudden want to dress in drag all the time, geez."

Putting on the dress was a way for me to bond with my teammates. It also made me look at things from a different perspective.

I also looked at it as fun. Yeah, I know I'm different.

We filed into Jessi's mom's SUV and went to a place called the "Shoppe by the Creek."

Some of the girls hunted for dresses of their own. Jessi and Kim picked out a black and white dress for me along with a pair of black shoes called "ballet flats."

"That is tasteful," Jessi's mother said trying to reassure me. "It's not over the top."

"We've got a surprise for you after we're done here," Melanie Piper said.

The surprise was a trip to the mall and to a small shop called Claire's.

"Can I help you," the young lady at the desk said.

I rolled my eyes when Jessi said "we'd like to look at earrings."

"Come on Lucas, boys wear earrings," Gina said. "Besides, you just have to wear them to the banquet."

To their credit, they picked out a pair that boys would wear, a pair they thought would still go with the dress. They were small with little diamonds, or at least it looked like diamonds.

I was led to a chair that leaned back. The young lady behind desk put them in. It stung a little, but that went away quickly.

She then gave me instructions on how to care for my ears and the earrings.

"They look really nice on you!" the young lady said.

#####

"I swear you look like your Aunt Paige when she was your age," Mom said when we got in the car. I was wearing the dress, the earrings and the necklace Coach Martin gave me during homecoming week.

"Mom, if Lucas gets to wear earrings, why can't I," my little sister Katie said.

"Lucas is a teenager," Mom said. "When you become a teenager, you can get yours pierced, too."

I rolled my eyes. I knew Katie was just trying to pick at me.

The cafeteria was packed. All of the parents, brothers and sisters were there. So were some grandparents. Some even invited friends. Some of the faculty members even came to show us some support.

"Ms. Lacy, how are you?" Coach Martin said. "Lucas has been a joy to coach. You have raised a nice young man."

"Or young lady, sometimes I get that confused" she said when I came wearing the dress carrying Mom's casserole.

"I'm beginning to get that confused, too," Mom said.

"Seriously, Lucas is such a good sport," Coach Martin said. "He has gone over and beyond the call of duty to walk a mile in his teammates shoes. I am so very proud of him."

I had fun talking to my friends on the team and meeting their parents, who were really cool about everything.

"Okay, it's time to give out our team awards," Coach Martin said after giving everyone on the team a plaque and medal recognizing our championship."

Gina, to no one's surprise, was our MVP and top offensive player. Jessi received the newcomer of the year award giving to a seventh grader each year. Kim was named our top defensive player.

"She gave up the fewest goals in the conference this year," Coach Martin said.

Then it came time for the sportsmanship award.

"I could have given this award to any player on this team," she said. "I've never coached a more unselfish group of young women...and man. They've put up with some extraordinary circumstances this year. But the recipient of this award is a special player. I'd already made up my mind to give this person the award, but nearly every other member of this team came into my office to personally nominate this person."

Suddenly I saw most of the girls turn and look at me.

"The winner of the sportsmanship award is Lucas Lacy," Coach Martin said. "He is a true gentleman, who as you can see tonight, went through great lengths this year to be one of the girls both one and off the court."

I was stunned by the standing ovation and was in tears when I went up to receive the award.

"I'd like to get all of my players over here to get a picture of them," Coach Martin said, leading us to a corner of the cafeteria.

Coach Martin lined us up. She and Coach Parker joined us while several parents snapped pictures.

I looked up and saw the banner.

"The Sisterhood of the Traveling Skirts, Conference Champs 2009!"

up
209 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

What can I say? I just liked this story!

This story is a wonderful story because...

If anyone can imagine boys & girls like in this story, then someone just might conceive raising such children.

If anyone raises such children, then there's hope for the next generation.

If there's hope for the next generation, then just maybe they'll pass it on & on & on... Q.E.D.

The most moving scene for me is when he's sad to be putting away his uniform at the close of the field hockey season. He's earned the right to wear the uniform, skirt & all.

Peace & blessings!

The Rev. Anam Chara+

Anam Chara

Skirts ?

ALISON

This is a a great story and you have produced a great character in Lucas.Well done!

ALISON

Yes, great

A real feel good story. I have enjoyed it a lot.
Hilltopper

Gina_Summer2009__2__1_.jpgHilltopper

I really love this story I

I really love this story I do hope you continue it, I wonder how Lucas will be over future seasons whether he begins to see himself as more female. looking forward to finding out thanks for sharing

Megumi :)

Yule

Bailey's Angel
The Godmother :p

Great Story and Reference Point

I really enjoyed this story. It was a refreshingly different take on cross-dressing. It's nice to see some departure in story theme and character motivation now and again!

This story is going to stand out as a reference point, the purest example to date of extended incidental crossdressing in a cis-gendered character.

Great Finish...

...which probably leaves room for both the Lucas-is-TS faction and the rest of us. I'm guessing the TS folks will say that he's in denial about the whole thing and observe that he has yielded to every escalation his teammates have pressed upon him, the latest being the dress and earrings for the banquet. (While Lucas drew the line at makeup, he was the one who brought it up, preemptively.)

I'd prefer to take his self-examination as accurate: solidarity/team spirit/bonding, the new perspective on things that it presented, and the fun of the experience.

Very enjoyable.

Eric

(I think someone ought to mention it: Torey posted a blog entry addressing the conspiracy theories in the Chapter 9 comments, which can be referenced on Page 2 of the homepage or through the author listing above.)

As one of the TS folks, I

As one of the TS folks, I would like to say that I think having a straight, male gendered character go through such adventures and still be himself is lovely, unexpected and very true to life. He was being the best teammate he could be. I liked that.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

I had a blast

Andrea Lena's picture

....Great season..great story...great fun...Thanks


She was born for all the wrong reasons but grew up for all the right ones.
Possa Dio riccamente vi benedica, tutto il mio amore, Andrea

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

A great ending

I loved it. I kinda hope Lucas remains male. The next generation of girls could use to able to find a guy like him.

DogSig.png

He is no doubt a sport

... Great young man, a real mench, not one of the blow hard rooster types, always puffing their chests out. I think any girl who appreciates what he has to offer as a person and finally lands him will be very lucky.

Yay, great ending!

Kim

Great Story

But I've got to wonder, what kind of underwear did he wear to Homecoming and the banquet?

That would tell the tale as to what Lucas' cross-dressing future might be. I doubt that he wore boxers, but jockey shorts would have worked. However if he wore panties (just to "complete" the outfit) he may have a cross-dressing future.

Can't wait 'til next season.

I was going to post a comment.

But, I think you are getting far too much attention. :)

Very nice story.

Khadijah Gwen

I've just read the whole

I've just read the whole story from 1-10 and honestly i'm hoping for more. Lucas is doing this in a much different way and much more real a person than you see in a lot of these stories and I'll be looking forward to high-school and possibly university stories.

Switching Playing Fields, Chapter 10

This is like Short Chapters, except that THAT story was about a boy going trick or treating as a girl on Halloween. Both are fun ad bring a smile to my face.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

YES!

This has been a wonderful, enjoyable story. I, too, would like to see a continuation of Mr/Ms Lucas' escapades. It's difficult to say if it will be permanently skirts at this point, but you never can tell!
Thanks again for a wonderful read!

Hugs,
Diane

Not much i can add

to all these comment's Torey, Except to say, Well done for writing a story that was different, And if this is the last chapter...Well.. It seems like a good place to finish.

Kirri

GREAT STORY !!

gothic.jpgJust want to add my name to the endless list of people that have praised this wonderful story. I am also on the group that will love to be able to read more of it, I hope you will keep this one alive and running. Thank you Torey. Kiss I.

gothic.jpg

Thank you, Torey

Thank you, Torey, for sharing this lovely story with us!
I've enjoyed every bit of it. The end certainly leaves the way open for sequel. I hope we'll see one (if your muse approves)!

Kris

Kris

{I leave a trail of Kudos as I browse the site. Be careful where you step!}

OMG! I mean, what can I say?

This is such a cute chapter, I mean the whole story is cute, but the Lady Tigers can't lose a player now that the season is over and they won the championship. I mean I agree with what Gina said in a previous chapter. "When you have worn the skirts of the Lady Tigers, you're part of the sisterhood. "...The sisterhood of the Traveling Skirts." And I so agree with that. Lucas can't hang his skirts up now, not after being one of the girls. He has to stay one of the girls, and show that he is a true Lady Tiger. Sportsmanship doesn't end when the games are over and the trophy presented. Sportsmanship is forever on and off the field, during the season and the off season. Lucas is definitely one of the girls, and should be proud of that like he was when he was playing the games. Now he should be proud to be a member of the team and show that pride everyday of his life. Lucas is a girl now, and always was. So it is now time that Lucas stayed the lady he has become over the past few weeks of the field hockey season. Thank you for sharing this very unique and very cute story of what it means to be a part of a team.

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

I liked the reason for the hand-off

I've never been a fan of the word team, but this story has a lot about what's GOOD in teamwork.

This story, for all its simplicity, gives great examples of the positive aspects of sports, of looking out for each other, of friendship, and other things.

It would be wonderful if it could have a much wider readership.

I'll echo...

kristina l s's picture

... what most others have said about this lovely story. It's a delightful and largely gentle take on a subtle TG theme. How can you not like Lucas and even as he goes with the girlie stuff to be one of the gang, he's still his own guy. Very well done Torey and I'm glad you held true to Lucas and yay the majority of the school. Terrific.

Kristina

This story I believe is about acceptance!

Speaking for myself I think that I as a TG I would all like all of us to be accepted for who we are not what we are.

This story has crystallised a boy being accepted for who he is, loving, caring, loyal, unbiased in his friendship with his team mates and their loyalty to him.

This story shows the bigotry of others who cannot and will not accept someone or something which does not confirm to their 'standards'?

We as a society tend to set standards which don't ever match up with reality, morality, or just reason?

I don't have an answer!

This story may?

LoL
Rita

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

Wow, how did I miss this wonderful story by Torey?

I sat at my computer and read from chapter one to chapter ten in one sitting and now I'm about to read the sequel (Once I get a fresh cup of Java that is, giggle, giggle).

Torey, this story is wonderful and a very unique and fresh way of story telling! It has everything and was done in a caring and gentle way that has just blown me away.

Keep up your wonderful style of writing and you have another fan, me.

Huggles Torey
Angel

"Be Your-Self, So Easy to Say, So Hard to Live!"

"Be Your-Self, So Easy to Say, So Hard to Live!"

In reverse...

I just read both of these series (Flip Side & Switching Playing Fields) in reverse order and while I might have missed hitting the 'kudos' button once of twice I'd like to say how much I really enjoyed reading them.

So while I'd love to see a sequel I want to say thanks for what you've written so far first... Thanks.

JC

The Legendary Lost Ninja

I loved this story

I just finished reading this story (and on the Flip side), and I was encapsulated and loved every word of it.

The contrast and interplay of Lucas and Beth, and especially Lucas and the Lady Tigers (an alternate name? :p ) was fantastic and enjoyable to read. Lucas is brave enough to do what I was never brave enough to do, not that our small town ever had hockey or dance as practical options for extracurricular activities...

Thank you so much for the gift of this uplifting tale, and I am sure I will revisit it several times in the future when I am feeling down.

xx
Amy

Very nice ending to this

Very nice ending to this great story. It leaves it open regarding Lucas in high school, except for Gina's comments regarding his wearing skirts on their future team. Yet, he is a 7th grader and she is 8th, so they will be separated in schools. I believe he will continue on the Lady Tigers through his 8th grade and quite possibly into his high school years and maybe even into college, if they have a team there. By the time he is completed in high school, it is reasonable to believe he will be rather well known both within the State he lives in, and possibly across the US or at least within the college conference his State falls under. Would love to see stories about Lucas and his adventures in these various schools. Would be really fun. Torey, Thank you for sharing this story with us all. Janice Lynn

Teared up a little at the end

Well done. I know I commented before, but this is a very sweet, well-written story with a lot of spirit and good feeling.

Kaleigh Way

The sisterhood of the Travelling Skirts

What a fun story. Thank you Torey. I really enjoyed it and admit to having a little tear when reading it
Well done

Once I started, I couldn't stop

Iolanthe Portmanteaux's picture

Once I started reading, I couldn't stop. This is a lovely, fun story, written with a beautiful, wholesome attitude.

Thanks for writing it.

- io

Great story!

Torey, what a great story. I saw a comment posted on BC's home page which got my curiosity up that led me to this story. Once I started I could not stop either. Very nicely done what an enjoyable read.

Wonderful old story,

and such a unique take on this.

Yes

Andrea Lena's picture

a terrific story. thanks for the reminder.

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Sisterhood of the traveling skirts

Such a quandary! I stumbled on this last evening and had to decide between enough sleep to be able to get up on time for work and finishing the story. The only upside was I then was able to enjoy the anticipation of finishing this wonderful story today.
Wonderfully done.