A Summer of Changes - Book 1 Chapter 3

Printer-friendly version

Denise

Denise discovers one secret but is worried in case her friends should give away another

A Summer of Changes
by Louise Anne Smithson

Chapter 3

‘The hen night’

'You can wear my royal blue cardigan as
well as it goes nicely with your eyes'
- Chapter 4

Sue had arranged that she and Denise would meet Jane and her sister outside the club and so, once they arrived, there could be no further reference to Denise’s origins in their conversation for the remainder of the evening. Jane cheerfully introduced her sister Samantha to her two friends as they joined the queue to gain entry. She was an attractive twenty-year old, dressed in a short black skirt, but seemed to lack some of her sister’s self confidence. Jane collected up the entry fees from the four of them and went to purchase the tickets which she handed to each of them. As they went through the main door a woman security officer briefly looked at each of them. Denise smiled at her and was relieved to discover that there was no problem about her gaining entry.

Once they were inside they deposited their coats in the cloakroom. Sue took out the large bunch of keys from her coat pocket, but realised there would be no room for them in the tiny handbag she had brought with her. She looked at Denise but found she had the same difficulty.

‘Jane, would you mind looking after these for me for the evening?’

Jane nodded her agreement and took them from her and put them in her own larger handbag. The group walked in to the club and started looking for the other guests. All twelve of the girls had got dressed up and made up for the evening but having spent nearly the whole day having a makeover Denise was aware that she was one of the most glamorous.

‘Denise, I do like that dress, it really suits you,’ said Jane.

Denise smiled and thanked her and returned a similar compliment about her outfit. Jane then started to talk to Sue about arranging the first round of drinks, leaving Denise to talk to Samantha as they walked over to the table that had been booked for their group.

‘Do you know many of the people who will be here this evening?’ she asked.

‘No they're all my sister’s friends and workmates, I'm just here to keep an eye on her and make sure she gets home in one piece.’

‘I suspect I may be doing the same for Sue as I'll be staying in her flat tonight and she seems determined to let her hair down. If you like we can stick together as we're both going to stay sober,’ said Denise.

‘Thanks, that suits me,’ said Samantha smiling, ‘it might be useful to have an ally when it comes to persuading her to go home.’

It struck Denise that as a male Denis would never have had the confidence to make such a proposal to a woman he'd just met.

Jane introduced her sister and her two friends to the remainder of their group. Her friends were a mixed bunch of women in their twenties, a few years older than Denise and Samantha. One or two of them were decidedly butch in appearance and looked a little odd to be wearing skirts. Denise and Samantha sat down whilst Sue went to order a round of drinks. Everyone was asked to contribute twenty pounds to a pot to share the cost of drinks.


The first part of the evening consisted of general good natured chatting, and asking Jane about her plans for her wedding the following weekend and the honeymoon thereafter. One of her friends presented Jane with a bridal veil to wear for the evening which singled her out as the cause of the celebration. The two younger women joined in the festivities and jokes as best they could, but they both felt a little bit on the periphery. Samantha felt a little awkward because she did not really know anybody, and Denise was being ultra careful not to give her secret away. However her various workmates would seek to draw her in to the conversation from time to time. Sue, Jane and most or her friends were determined to enjoy themselves, but it was relatively easy for Denise and Samantha to switch to non-alcoholic drinks after the first round, without it being too obvious.

At one point Sarah got up to go to the ladies, and Denise took the opportunity to go with her.

‘How do you think I'm doing?’ she asked as they walked across the room.

‘You're doing fine my dear. I'd quite forgotten about Denis.’

‘And nobody has been suspicious of me?’

‘Not as far as I know.’

‘How does my hair look?’

‘It looks fine, but you can refresh your lipstick if you like once you've finished your business.’

Denise touched up her lips and eyes whilst she was in the ladies’ and then looked at herself in the large mirror for a few moments. She really did look like a pretty girl, and so returned to her seat with a renewed feeling of confidence. Once the floor show started, Denise felt the pressure to be off for the next hour and she could sit back and enjoy herself, particularly when Jane was invited on to the stage to join the troop of male strippers, and ended the act by undoing the laces on his thong. After the show, Helen, Mary and Sarah made their excuses to Jane and went to leave together. As they did so Helen signalled to Denise that she wanted to have a quick word out of earshot of the others.

‘Denise, you've been superb this evening, and we're all very proud of you. I don't think anyone suspects you,’ said Helen giving her a hug and kissing her on the cheek.

Denise blushed.

‘Many thanks to the three of you, for helping to make it possible. So far I've really enjoyed my day, and I'm glad to have been invited, that is as long as I can get through the next couple of hours without any mishap.’

‘Good luck for the rest of the evening,’ said Mary also kissing her, ‘but watch out for Sue and Jane in case they get any more drunk, they might give you away.’

‘I'll be careful, don’t worry.'

‘Have you completed your allotted task yet?’ said Sarah smiling as she looked across at Samantha.

‘No, I think Jane is expecting a bit much from me there.’

Denise kissed Sarah on the cheek and said goodbye to them, and returned to their table. She found that most of the remainder of the group were on the dance floor, apart from Samantha who was sitting alone. Denise was quite pleased and went and sat next to her.

‘Your boss and workmates all seem very friendly,’ commented Samantha ‘Jane has often said to me how much she enjoys working for Helen’s business’.

‘Yes, it's one of the advantages of working for such a small firm. I've not been there for very long but I was made to feel at home as soon as I arrived,’ Denise replied. ‘By the way what do you do?’

‘I'm a student at London University,’ she replied.

‘What subject are you studying?’

‘English literature, but I'm beginning to wonder whether I would have been better off going out to work for a while first’.

‘What would you like to do?’

‘I wouldn't mind working in the fashion industry like you and Jane, you get to see and try on all the new clothes.’

‘I'm afraid my job is just computerised record keeping, it might just as well be cans of baked beans as dresses,’ said Denise.

‘But you do see all the new fashions. I'm sure that when you have been there a bit longer you'll become more involved. Jane gets to go out and select clothes and she also gets to model them sometimes. With your looks I expect they'll soon ask you to do the same.’

‘That is nice of you to say so, but I don’t think it's very likely and does not feature in my job description.'

Denise sought to change the subject before she faced any awkward questions.

‘Are you helping with the preparations for your sister’s wedding?’ she asked.

Samantha sighed.

‘I offered to help, but every last detail seems to be under control. You would not believe what a "control freak" my sister is. There are lists, schedules, timetables and spreadsheets for every conceivable detail of the day itself and also for the honeymoon. The whole thing is being planned like a military campaign. I only hope the groom obeys his orders and does not bottle out at the last moment.’

Denise smiled, ‘and that he comes up to scratch on the honeymoon?’

‘Oh I suspect Jane has satisfied herself in that respect some time ago,’ laughed Samantha.

‘I know that she likes to be well organised and well prepared. By the way, are you going to be her bridesmaid?’ asked Denise, gently changing the direction of the conversation.

‘Yes, worst luck, together with my cousin.’

‘I bet you don’t really mean that,’ said Denise.

‘I expect I'll enjoy it on the day,’ said Samantha, 'it's just that every last detail has been decided. She's even bought us underwear which has to match the colour of our dresses.'

‘What colour dresses will you be wearing?’

‘Rose pink satin, trimmed with lace and with matching shoes.'

‘And underwear,’ added Denise laughing.

‘Yes, and underwear as well!’

Denise smiled to herself at the revelation and wondered what her prize would be. For a moment she wondered whether she should tell her friends of her success in performing the allotted task, but decided it would be safer to wait until the following week at work.

‘It sounds as if you'll look really nice.’

‘Nice is probably the right word. They look ok from the front but have an awful pink bow behind, which will be a nightmare to tie-up,’ she answered. ‘But I suppose that it's the bridesmaid’s job to look decorous, but without overshadowing the bride.’

‘Your sister won’t allow you to do that,’ said Denise.

‘Have you ever been a bridesmaid, Denise?’

She was caught off guard for a second.

‘Er no, I'd have loved to have been a bridesmaid but I'm an only child and nobody else in the family ever asked me,’ she answered.

‘That’s a pity,’ said Samantha. ‘Had I known you before I'd have been happy for you to take my place, but the dresses have all been made now.’

‘I'm sure you don’t mean that,’ said Denise laughing.

Jane and Sue, who were both now a little tipsy, called out to the two younger women to come and join them on the dance floor. Denise was not happy about the prospect of dancing in such high heels, but was anxious that if she did not join them they might make some comment which would give her away. She therefore agreed, and Samantha joined them. Denise found that with a little practice she could dance reasonably well, but after half an hour her feet began to ache and so she made her excuses to sit down again, and Samantha followed suit.


By midnight most of Jane’s friends had to leave in order to get home. Once they had said their goodbyes, Jane noticed that there was more than twenty pounds still left in the kitty.

‘So who wants another drink?’ she asked.

Sue was on the point of agreeing, but Samantha asserted herself.

‘Jane, I think you've had enough, and remember you have to drive up to Birmingham tomorrow. If you drink any more you'll be horribly sick in the morning. Why don’t we use the remaining money to share a taxi. We can drop off Denise and Sue on the way to our flat.’

‘Yes Jane, I think we've all had enough, but it has been a great evening, and my very best wishes for the wedding next week,’ said Denise.

Jane reluctantly agreed, but decided she first needed to go to the ladies, and was accompanied there by Sue.

‘Aren't you invited to the wedding?’ said Samantha.

‘No, I've not really known Jane for very long. I think that only Sue and Helen will be going from work.’

‘That’s a pity,’ she said, I was looking forward to showing off my pink dress to you,’ said Samantha.

‘The one with the big bow,’ said Denise.

‘The very one.’

‘I expect I’ll see the wedding photographs, so you’ll just have to make sure that someone takes one of your back,’ she replied.

‘Maybe we can have lunch together some time after the wedding?’

Denise was flattered by the invitation, but didn't know what to do. Samantha was clearly keen to prolong their friendship and she did not wish to disappoint her.

‘Alright, I’ll ring you after the wedding. Do you have a mobile number?’

The two girls exchanged telephone numbers, just as Sue and Jane returned from the ladies' toilets, giggling, clearly having shared a joke. Denise had a distinct impression that they had been talking about her. Fortunately Samantha did not seem to notice and at that point decided that she too needed to go to the toilet.

As soon as she was out of earshot Sue said in a tipsy voice, ‘Denise we were just saying what a lovely young woman you make, we'll have to take you out with us more often.’

‘Were you just arranging to go out on a date with my sister?’ said Jane laughing, ‘I hope you won’t keep her in the dark for too long.’

‘Now listen you two, if you give me away now I'll never forgive you, so please will you both sober up and keep quiet,’ said Denise quite sharply.

The warning seemed to have the desired effect, and they stopped laughing. They collected their coats and waited for Samantha, before finding a taxi together.

As she got out of the taxi fifteen minutes later Denise was kissed by both Jane and Samantha.

‘Good luck next week,’ she said to Jane

‘Remember that promise about lunch,’ said Samantha.

‘I will.’


By the time they reached her flat Sue was decidedly drunk. Denise steered her up to her flat and was relieved to remember that she had been given a front door key. She let them both in, took off their coats and sat her friend down in the lounge, whilst she went to make them both a cup of coffee. Five minutes later she returned but found her friend had fallen asleep. Denise therefore helped her to her bedroom, and to get undressed as far as her underclothes. She then helped her friend to remove her jewellery and makeup, before leaving her to sleep in peace.

She walked back into the hall and spent several minutes looking at herself in the full-length mirror, briefly tidying her hair. She both looked and felt good. All in all she felt she had a wonderful time, and enjoyed the whole day. She was also proud that, as far as she was aware, nobody had realised that she was not a woman. Eventually, after about quarter of an hour spent admiring her self and thinking about the evening, she took off her dress, which she put on to a hanger, followed by her shoes and tights and the various pieces of jewellery, all of which she carefully put away in her case. She had difficulty removing the earrings with her long finger nails but eventually managed to do so. She then took a tub of cold cream and proceeded to remove the make up and washed her face. She looked for some nail varnish remover, but could find none, but did not really mind as her nails still looked immaculate. Finally she changed into the pyjamas provided by Sue and got in to her own bed. Without a bra to control them, her breasts felt a little odd, and prevented her from sleeping on her side or on her front. However, they were not uncomfortable once she lay on her back. She was also conscious of the long hair, her long polished nails and her hairless legs. She spent a few minutes savouring the feeling of being a woman before she eventually fell asleep.

(Next time - Denise discovers she has a problem but Sue's flatmate suggests an answer.)

up
197 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Oops

Very nice story and characters.

Did Sue forget her keys with Jane ?

Denise may have to stay a girl for longer than planned !

Thanks

D

A hens night

ALISON

Just a lovely story of a shy,young man finding herself.Beautifully done with feeling and sensitivity.

ALISON

Ahhh the promise of a lunch with a friend and another chance to

The English Teacher's picture

wear some nice new outfits and best of all for free. Love these office stories especially with the fashion business, it’s even better.

As always, so much to read, so little time and only one of me :)
The English Teacher

So much to read, so little time and only one of me :)

The English Teacher

What is that saying about best laid plans?

It looks as though Denise will be in dresses longer than planned because of Samantha's eagerness to have a friend she can talk to and with. But will Denise grumble, mumble, and object? The GNO (hen night) was perfect, and realistically written. The interaction of the characters is what you would find in any circle of women out for a good time together. And Denise finding out what color underwear Samantha would be wearing at the wedding was so innocently done. Coversations among women turn to these things during a GNO (ask me and I will tell you, lol). We talk about hair, makeup, clothing likes and dislikes, period flows, and whether or not one or more need to buy sanitary supplies. I really could identify with this chapter because I have been on more than one GNO (girls night out).

So, it looks like Denise is here to stay, and I do hope it is permanent. But now we can actually say this wasn't planned by either Denise or the girls, but innocently by Samantha who wants Denise for a friend. Lovely chapter and thank you for sharing

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

A Summer of Changes - 3

Now that Denise has had a chance to get out, will she replace her alter-ego?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

The power of drink

Is Samantha gay also? Our is she just a little lonely for someone her own age.
Did Sue ever get her ring of keys back ? If not, will Denise stay Denise ?
Will Denise be invited to the Wedding, as a guest or bridesmaid ?

Cefin