HH: Interlude-02

Printer-friendly version

Hayfield Hall: Interlude-02

By: Annette MacGregor & Karen Page

Since first reading the stories about Hayfield Hall, questions have been there about where the staff came from, how they are selected, and other similar points. One example is Dr. Rachel Ruiz. We know she was NOT staff at the school in 2004 and that Kate Mayhew held her position, but by the beginning of A New Style of Education, Dr. Ruiz was established. This interlude doesn't describe how that came to pass, but it does address some of the questions, at least in part. Originally written half in jest, this interlude is included for those readers that may have also had some of these questions.


Interlude 2007, Late Autumn through 2008, Early Spring

During the rather pathetic lunch that my meager means could afford, another teacher plopped down with a similar light meal. We got talking about the morning's speakers, and I found myself telling him how worried I was about being able to retain my position come the next fall. There'd been talk about reducing staff at our school, and all of us, without tenure, were a bit worried.

He asked how far I might be willing to travel, and I didn't hesitate to say that despite liking the kids at my current school, moving somewhere might be the best all around. Whereupon he mentioned that while he was not in a position to move, but he'd run across an interesting school that might have an opening.

Intrigued, I asked about the school and upon learning it was in the UK;I asked why they would recruit from so far away. His response described a small school for talented students and that they recruited from all over, in order to have the highest caliber staff that would have the student's interest at heart while also providing as diverse a teaching staff as possible.

Not putting myself in the highest caliber bucket, I figured they'd have trouble finding someone more diverse. However, finding the idea even more intriguing, I expressed further interest, upon which he pulled out a scrap of paper and wrote an e-mail address, saying they preferred to make initial contact via e-mail.

Back at the hotel, I spent a while drafting the e-mail enquiry. I must have revised the enquiry a dozen times. I had so little information; I needed to weave a fine line between enquiring for information and actually applying for an unknown position. Whatever the case, the more I thought about it, the more I came to the conclusion that moving would probably be for the best, and across the ocean was as good as across the country as far as separation was concerned.

Despite my conclusions, I thought seriously about not actually sending the enquiry. The day had been exhausting and I feared I wasn't as coherent as I could be. I wondered if I should even not send it, or at least wait until morning. A quick search showed me that the school did not have a web presence, which I found surprising for what sounded like an exclusive school.

Deciding that second guessing, over and over again, was not getting me anywhere. I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask them for more information. After all, it was just an out of the blue enquiry…

 
To: [email protected]

Subject: Teacher Application

Dear Sir,

I am an American teacher of secondary education currently attending the New Jersey Teachers Convention. Over lunch today, a colleague indicated that your school is open to consider applications from foreign nationals. His description of your school was intriguing.

If you actually do have openings, and would consider a US national, I would like to investigate this further. Thank you for your consideration.

Respectfully,
Jean Marie Grieg

 

After sending the note, I decided to so some further digging. Interestingly I did find a few references to an orchestra from a school of that name, all over the world. I also found a ranking of the school on a UK government board that showed astonishing performance on their high level testing. I've never heard of a school achieving 100% success!. If that's the place, they certainly are successful. Then, sighing, I figured if they had a teaching opening, it was for someone with a lot more years of formal teaching experience.

Just as I was about to close down my laptop for the night, I got a mail popup. Wondering if one of my online friends was sending a note, I opened it, and was surprised to see it was a reply to my query. At first I thought it was just an automated daemon, but to my surprise, it seemed to be from the headmaster.

 
From: [email protected]
To: [email protected]

Subject: Teacher Application

Dear Ms Grieg,

Thank you for your enquiry. We have several members of our faculty that are not from the UK or even Commonwealth citizens. If you are serious in your willingness to consider employment outside the US and would consider our school, please provide your postal address, so we can forward you more information and an application.

Yours sincerely,

Quentin Hobson,
Headmaster, Hayfield Hall
email: [email protected]

 

Surprised, I went ahead and replied, including my snail mail address. I wonder if they expect everyone to keep strange hours...At least I have experience THERE. You can't get much crazier hours than onboard ship or developing software. Shrugging to myself, Well, I can at least see what comes of this.

The next morning there was a brief message stating that a package had been sent to my mailing address.

Upon return home from the conference a few days later, I found the information packet, and invitation to formally apply for a position. What I read along with the pictures they'd included seemed fascinating. As a result, I resolved to apply. It disturbed me a little that they were masking their address with a post office box, but given the exclusiveness of the school, perhaps it was not surprising.

[Author's Note: The remainder of this interlude shows the correspondence between Ms. Grieg and Hayfield Hall with little or no narrative.]

 
November 12, 2007
123 My Street
Mytown, NJ 07123
USA

Dr. Quentin Hobson
Hayfield Hall
PO Box 54123
London
EC8P 9XY
England

Dear Sir:

Thank you very much for this opportunity to apply for a position at your institution. Attached to this letter, you will find my CV as well as the application for employment that you provided. As you can see, in the attached CV, I have a wide range of life experiences which I believe prepare me well for a position with students such as you describe attend Hayfield Hall. I've taught teen and young adults in several subjects and as a result have experience in developing classroom materials and correlating information across fields into a coherent whole. Through non-educational venues, I've spent many years working with and interacting with teens.

Respectfully,

Jean Marie Grieg

 

 
20 November 2007
Hayfield Hall
PO Box 54123
London
EC8P 9XY
England

123 My Street
Mytown, NJ 07123
USA

Dear Ms. Grieg,

Thank you for your application for a position at our school. Your credentials are interesting, and your background may well make you suitable for our organisation. However, as you are a US citizen, I felt it prudent to suggest you might find it easier to look to our sister school in your country. Attached you will find contact information at that school. If you want to move forward with your application here, please forward a short note explaining why you wish to relocate to the UK.

If I can be of further assistance, please feel free to write.

Yours sincerely,

Quentin Hobson
Headmaster

 

 
November 27, 2007
123 My Street
Mytown, NJ 07123
USA

Dr. Quentin Hobson
Hayfield Hall
PO Box 54123
London
EC8P 9XY
England

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your kind response. While I was unaware that your organization had an institution here in the US, I would still like to apply to your institution. Due to personal reasons, I would prefer to look for placement overseas. My reasons are detailed in the attachment.

Again, thank you very much for the reference to your school here in the states, but if you are willing to consider a US national for your staff, I would appreciate consideration.

Respectfully,

Jean Marie Grieg

 

 
6 December 2007
Hayfield Hall
PO Box 54123
London
EC8P 9XY
England

Dear Ms Grieg,

Very well, I will commence the formal consideration process. One of the steps is an extended background investigation required by UK law. With the climate today, we are very careful about those who come in contact with our students, as I'm sure you will understand. The attached form must be filled out completely to begin this investigation process. Please return it to my office at your earliest convenience.

Yours sincerely,

Quentin Hobson
Headmaster

 

 
December 17, 2007
123 My Street
Mytown, NJ 07123
USA

Dr. Quentin Hobson
Hayfield Hall
PO Box 54123
London
EC8P 9XY
England

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your continued consideration. Attached you will find the forms you provided, filled out in detail. I've added an additional note that may clarify certain of my answers. Feel free to contact me if further details are required.

I have one request, and that is that you and your institution hold the information in strict confidence, as its publication could cause difficulties to me or others I've referenced.

Thank you again for your consideration.

Respectfully,

Jean Marie Grieg

 

 
From: [email protected]
To: [email protected]

Subject: Teacher Application

Dear Ms. Grieg,

I have received your package, and assure you that we are as serious about the security and privacy of our staff and applicants as we are our students.

I've forwarded the forms and your note, as well as your CV, to our selection committee. They will initiate the background investigation (which includes a credit and other checks, as you acknowledged in the forms). Upon completion of the investigation, we will be in touch again. This process normally takes between two and three weeks, but with the holidays we can expect it to take longer, so do not be surprised if you do not hear back before next year. I assure you that we will inform you of the status of your application, no matter the results even if there are no results.

Thank you again,

Quentin Hobson
Headmaster
email: [email protected]

 

 
From [email protected]
To: [email protected]

Subject: RE: Teacher Application

Dear Sir,

Thank you for this information. I look forward to hearing from you again in the near future.

Thank you again for your consideration.

Respectfully,

Jean Marie Grieg

 

 
From: [email protected]
To: [email protected]

Subject: RE: Teacher Application

Dear Ms Grieg,

This is just a status update. The background investigation has taken longer than normal. They tell me this is due to the complexity of your background. The interim report that was provided with the update showed nothing contraindicative, and they said they didn't expect anything to come up. Another two weeks will be required to complete the checks, and I will be in touch with you again at that point.

Yours sincerely,

Quentin Hobson
Headmaster
email: [email protected]

 

 
From [email protected]
To: [email protected]

Subject: RE: Teacher Application

Dear Sir,

Thank you for the update. If I can provide any additional information that might speed their investigation, please ask.

Thank you again for your consideration.

Respectfully,

Jean Marie Grieg

 

 
From: [email protected]
To: [email protected]

Subject: RE: Teacher Application

Dear Ms Grieg,

I have some good news for you. The background investigation is now complete, and you are being considered for one or more positions here at Hayfield Hall. Expect to receive a communication from Dr. Rachel Ruiz, on our staff, in the near future, to set up an interview. She will need to know how flexible you are as to travel, so she can schedule face-to-face interviews with several members of our staff, here in the UK. Once we know your availability we will arrange travel and accommodation.

I wish you the best of luck and I look forward to meeting you in person.

Quentin Hobson
Headmaster
email: [email protected]

 

 
From: [email protected]
To: [email protected]

Subject: RE Teacher Application

Dear Sir,

Thank you again, sir, for all the assistance you have provided. I look forward to Dr. Ruiz's communication. She is welcome to call, e-mail or write, whichever is most convenient.

Thank you again for your consideration.

Respectfully,

Jean Marie Grieg

 

 
6-February-2008
Hayfield Hall
Heath and Reach
Leighton Buzzard
Bedfordshire
LU7 0XY
England

Ms Jean Marie Grieg
123 My Street
Mytown, NJ 07123
USA

Dear Ms Grieg,

It was a pleasure speaking with you this afternoon. Thank you for taking the call so early in the morning, your time, as it greatly speeds the process. As we discussed, I've been able to make airline reservations to coincide with your school's winter break the 18th until 22nd.

Attached you will find your travel itinerary, tickets and other information needed during your visit. I will be meeting your flight at Heathrow, Monday morning, and will bring you here to the Hall where you will meet with the individuals we discussed.

I look forward to meeting you then.

Sincerely,

Rachel Ruiz, MD, BSc, MB BCh, MRCPsych

 

 
February 23, 2008
123 My Street
Mytown, NJ 07123
USA

Dr. Quentin Hobson
Hayfield Hall
Heath and Reach
Leighton Buzzard
Bedfordshire
LU7 0XY
England

Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for your time over the past several days. Having seen the school, met your committee, staff and some students, I am more excited about your institution than I was before. I sincerely hope that you are able to offer me a position. But, if not, I will treasure the days I spent visiting your wonderful institution.

Please pass my thanks on to Dr. Ruiz, and the rest of the people I met, while there, for their time and consideration.

Respectfully,

Jean Marie Grieg

 

 
3 March 2008
Hayfield Hall
Heath and Reach
Leighton Buzzard
Bedfordshire
LU7 0XY
England

123 My Street
Mytown, NJ 07123
USA

Dear Ms Grieg,

It is with great pleasure that I can offer you a position at Hayfield Hall. Full details of the offer, along with an employment contract, are contained in the attached documents. Can you please sign and return this at your earliest convenience, using the enclosed overnight envelope. Also included is a certificate of sponsorship. This should aid your application to work in the UK. Feel free to contact us with any questions. As indicated, the offer is contingent on your receipt of authorization to work here in the UK (we will work to assist you in this area) and your formal acceptance by 17 March 2008.

I look forward to hearing from you in the very near future.

Yours sincerely,

Quentin Hobson
Headmaster

 

 
March 7, 2008
123 My Street
Mytown, NJ 07123
USA

Dr. Quentin Hobson
Hayfield Hall
Heath and Reach
Leighton Buzzard
Bedfordshire
LU7 0XY
England

Dear Sir,

It is with great pleasure that I accept your offer as tendered. Enclosed is my signed copy of the contract.

I very much look forward to working with you and the rest of the staff at Hayfield Hall after my arrival at the end of the term here. Once I have travel arrangements made and have an arrival date, I will forward it to your office.

Again, thank you very much for the confidence you place in me by offering me this position.

Respectfully,

Jean Marie Grieg

 

 
10 March 2008
Hayfield Hall
Heath and Reach
Leighton Buzzard
Bedfordshire
LU7 0XY
England

123 My Street
Mytown, NJ 07123
USA

Dear Ms Grieg,

I would like to take this opportunity to welcome you to the Hayfield Hall family. Please contact my office if you have any difficulties in making arrangements for permission to work here in the UK or with any other details. As discussed, there may be temporary onsite housing available for you, while you determine more permanent arrangements.

Again, welcome to Hayfield Hall.

Yours sincerely,

Quentin Hobson
Headmaster

 

 
May 15, 2008
123 My Street
Mytown, NJ 07123
USA

Dr. Quentin Hobson
Hayfield Hall
Heath and Reach
Leighton Buzzard
Bedfordshire
LU7 0XY
England

Dear Sir,

I've completed all arrangements for my move to the UK. Thank you very much for your assistance last month. As indicated, I've made arrangements to arrive in the UK on the 18th of June, and have scheduled shipping of those items authorized to the address indicated.

I very much look forward to working with you and the rest of the staff at Hayfield Hall.

Sincerely,

Jean Marie Grieg

 

Stay tuned for more on JMG and Hayfield Hall.


Comments are greatly appreciated!

Return to Title Page

up
100 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

HH: Interlude-02

Very interesting. While it answers a few questons, it also leaves others unanswered for future chapters.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Yes very interesting!

I detect a lot of things which I'm sure will come out when I read the other chapters?

The letters were also very well done, the school was professional and prompt and organised.

Jean's letters were also well written, concise, and a bit of PR which would have created a positive image of herself, eg. not forgetting to thank everybody for their assistance etc.

Nicely done!

LoL
Rita

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

"Stay tuned for more on JMG and Hayfield Hall"

I would really love to, but wonder when I will have the pleasure to read more on Ms. Grieg as she first starts at Hayfield Hall in Summer 2008. That is more than 2 years ahead from the current story time of "A New Style of Education" which still is at January 2006, and it haven't moved much forward lately.

A big thank you to the authors, proof readers and other helpers for all the stories taking place in S.P.A. Universe. They are really amazing and well coordinated. If this interlude hints that the other stories soon more forward towards 2008 I will be very pleased.

Thanks,
Kim Hansen

An apology

I saw Annette's blog post with the title Discouraging and assumed that my comment above was one of comments she referred to as basically saying "yeah, you posted something, but when will you get back to the other bit".

If this is the case, I apologize. It was certainly not my intent to be disrespectful to any of the authors. The interlude is interesting. and by no means waste of time.

I was mostly somewhat confused and not understanding why we hear about a teacher which starts at Hayfield Hall in 2008 which is 2 - 4 years ahead of the two ongoing story series. If she had started earlier so she could appear in upcoming chapters of ANSOE or Hidden Gifts, it would be more understandable to me.

But again I apologize for any unintended discouragement or upsetting.

Thanks for all your writings!
Kim Hansen

Not at all...

Kim,

Your comment was well thought out and very much appreciated.

I'm slow getting things up, because I place my family before writing (perhaps that's why they're so supportive of me?. There's a segment of HG currently making the editorial rounds (#2 of 4) so maybe I'll do better.

No, I periodically get PMs from readers complaining that I'm slow posting. Sometimes I can take these in a positive way (they like what their reading). But, many times, I find them more discouraging than anything else. *sighs*

Your comment did "fit" the area you described, but that wasn't your whole comment, and that makes all the difference in the world.

Thanks,
Annette

P.S. I really shouldn't have written that blog. *sighs*

New Jersey! Woo hoo!

Sorry about that. As a New Jersey native, it was nice to see Ms Grieg was from there. I've been enjoying reading these interludes. It's kinda fun being able to peek between the chapters. One thing I'm curious about, though. Is there an Interlude-03? I noticed the list of stories in this series seems to jump from 02 to 04 for some reason. It's not a big deal, but I thought I'd ask. :)

Interlude-03

is not ready for "prime time"... It was drafted before a related chapter was published, and as a result needs to be updated so as to not have conflicts in information.

Interlude-02

What an interesting lead into your series and future chapters. I can NOT wait to "meet" Mrs. Greig and find out more about her. She sounds like she'll be a great teacher and familiar with some of the challenges of her future students. HUUGS!