Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 915.

Printer-friendly version
Wuthering Dormice
(aka Bike)
Part 915
by Angharad

Copyright © 2010 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

Once I’d stopped messing about with Simon, I quickly pulled on a skirt and top–the skirt was short, well above my knee and I wore opaque tights with ankle boots. I wrapped a fringed scarf round my neck, did a quick makeup job, some dangly earrings with butterflies on them, a squirt of Anaïs Anaïs and I was ready. No I wasn’t–I forgot my watch, and the bangle I was going to wear.

When I got downstairs, they were all waiting for me but I do like to make an entrance. We could have done with a minibus–when you think about it, there was Si, Tom, Leon, Stella, Puddin’ and the boys, Trish, Livvie, Meems and Julie–oh and yours truly. That’s two car loads in anyone’s money.

Tom took Stella, Puddin’, Leon, the boys and Julie, and the rest of us went in my car, which Simon drove. I prayed it wouldn’t break down, and my supplication must have been heard, because it didn’t.

We got to Southsea about half past one and went straight to the restaurant–The Green Room–which is where we usually eat. Of course being the owner’s family we get first class service, but then for the prices they charge, so should everyone. In real life I couldn’t afford to eat somewhere like this, even on my pay.

We agreed to go for the á  la carte, and I was pleased to see they did a roast lamb, which I opted for and thoroughly enjoyed. I passed on the sweet, although the puddings did seem particularly tempting–Simon didn’t and stuffed himself with Mississippi Mud pie. The girls opted for ice creams and Stella had a sorbet. Seeing her sorbet, I changed my mind and had one of those as well–an apple and mint one. I’m sure I have a recipe for that at home, must have a look when we get back.

Julie was in her element, flirting with the waiters and other diners–she’s going to be a good looking girl when the hormones take effect and the tricks I taught her with eye makeup, she’s improved on, and could probably teach me a thing or two, now.

She’d taken my advice and learned to wear tops which hinted at the delights within, without showing them, and she was thin enough to wear things with loads of lycra in them–today she had on a skinny rib polo-neck, sleeveless variety, with tight miniskirt and leggings with her Uggli boots. Over the top of it all she wore a large button up shirt, with the sleeves rolled up. She’d got Stella to put her hair up and I was quite proud of the way she looked–actually, I was proud of all my kids. The boys were tidy in shirt and jeans–their best ones, Trish wore a skirt with tights and her boots, a long sleeved top concluding her dress, Livvie was in pink jeans with pink checked shirt, and Meems was wearing a dress with her ankle boots.

Simon, was smart casual with his chinos and Pringle sweater, Tom his usual self, corduroy jacket, shirt and tie and cavalry twill trousers. Occasionally he wears a suit to work, but mostly it’s sports jackets and trousers and nearly always a tie.

After eating, it was by now half past three, we opted to take a stroll–the weather was cold but dry–along the sea front. It was even colder when we got back to the hotel and collected the cars.

As Simon and Tom had had a drink, I drove my car and Stella drove Tom’s home, dropping Leon home en route–so we were home first.

“Leon didn’t ride over in those clothes did he?” I asked Simon.

“No, Tom ran him home to change while we were waiting for you–if we’d known you were going to be so long, we could have had a suit made for him.”

“Me? I wasn’t that long–was I?”

“You were a bit, Mummy,” said Livvie.

“I wasn’t, well only because your father messed about while we were upstairs.”

“It wasn’t I who soaked someone with the shower,” Simon declared self righteously.

“You know, that’s quite right–but then I didn’t tickle someone until they wet themselves.” I retorted and the girls thought it was hilarious.

I’d only had time to make a pot of tea before Stella zoomed into the drive and reversed Tom’s car next to mine–then as usual, she had to move it because no one could open a door next to my car, she was so close.

Tom looked ashen when he came in, Julie was elated–Auntie Stella drives like a demon–was the comment. Tom was shaking his head, and saying something which I translated to mean, ‘never again’. I can’t believe he hadn’t seen Stella drive before–I mean her reputation does go before her–but only just, she drives so fast, and he knew she’d hit me off my bike causing me to become a woman–joke.

“Sodding pleece,” she said storming upstairs with Puddin’.

“What happened?” I asked Julie.

“We were stuck behind a police car most of the way here–Auntie Stella decided to tailgate him, and he stopped her.”

“Serve her right, so did he book her.”

“Only for a date.”

“Eh?”

“She sort of flirted with him, so he chatted her up and they’re going out to dinner next week.”

“Jammy bitch,” I sighed, but then, I wouldn’t have a clue how to flirt with someone in a situation like that, I’d be too busy stopping my knees knocking while I crawled to get them to go away and leave me and my licence in peace.

“Once we got past him, she floored it all the way here, which was why Gramps is upset, especially when she cut across the motorbike to turn in here.”

“Oh boy–I thought he knew what she was like?”

“No–he was hiding behind his hands in the end, couldn’t bear to look–it was quite funny really.”

“So you enjoyed it then?”

“Oh, like, totally.”

“You dropped Leon off?”

“Yeah, he wanted me to meet his mum–she is weird.”

“I thought you’d met her.”

“If I had, I didn’t take it on board. Is she into some sort of witchy stuff?”

“Why–did she give her cauldron a stir or jump on a broomstick?”

“No she grabbed my hand and said my lifeline had had two breaks in it–how did she know?”

“Search me–I’m a biologist not a parapsychologist.”

“Yeah–but you know things, your healing stuff an’ all that.”

“I don’t, she told me she recognised the ‘powah’ I apparently had, and benefited a little from it herself–she has multiple sclerosis.”

“What’s that?”

“A disease which damages nerves, especially motor ones.”

“Oh, like what does that mean?”

“She can’t walk very well.”

“Oh, she stayed in her seat the whole time.”

“Did she say you had a long life line?”

Julie looked at her palm and said, “Yeah, she also told me I’d marry and have kids.”

“Oh–well I suppose I have despite the odds against–she didn’t specifically say they’d be your own kids did she?”

“I can’t remember.” She shrugged as if it wasn’t important, but her body language suggested otherwise. I can’t see any way that foetuses would be implanted in male abdomens in the next twenty years–it would be too risky for both baby and the ‘mother’, especially given that implanted foetuses in biological women have a higher rate of miscarriage then normal conceptions. It’s also not going to be a priority of any researcher, and I think we as a minority group have to learn to accept our limitations–so for the foreseeable future, pregnancy, is unlikely in an XY genotype.

“I wouldn’t worry about it just yet, anyway, kiddo. I’m going to make some toasted sandwiches for tea, what d’you fancy? Ham and cheese?”

“Ooh, cani’ve cheese an’ onion.”

“Sure, Cheddar?”

“Mmm, yes please, Mummy.” She paused as I was getting some bread out of the fridge. “Mummy?”

“Yes, sweetheart?”

“She said I might get the ‘powah’ when I stop lookin’ for it. What’ya think she meant?”

“I’ve no idea, perhaps when you’re a bit older and settled down, you may discover you can heal things.”

“Things?”

“People, animals–you know, injured or sick people and animals.”

“Hey, I like the idea of healing animals–maybe I could become a veterinary nurse or something?”

“Or even a vet–you need to make your mind up and get some more qualifications, Julie, I’ve offered to get you into sixth form college.”

“Dunno if I could stand any more school stuff–didn’t like it much the first time about.”

“Well, girl, it’s up to you–just remember you’re starting as a Saturday girl at the salon next weekend.”

“Oh yeah–I forgot about that–oh poo, I won’t see Leon, will I?”

“There’s always Sunday.”

“Oh yeah–thanks, Mummy.”

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
173 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

The boys?

Si, Tom, Leon, Stella, Puddin’, Trish, Livvie, Meems and Julie—oh and yours truly.

I can't help thinking that there's a couple missing from that list. Oh yes...

The boys were tidy in shirt and jeans—their best ones.

Pair Skipped


Bike Archive

I ran out of fingers

Angharad's picture

and the cats were busy. So - maths is not my strong point!

Angharad

Angharad

Unlike Home Alone...

I suspect Cathy will not miss them when they leave. She may act a bit confused at times, but she's no ditz.

Stella's Driving

a) Helps not to misread the text...

Original text: "Stella zoomed into the drive and reversed Tom’s car next to mine."

Initial misreading: "Stella zoomed into the drive and reversed Tom's car into mine."

b) Unusual chat-up strategy...

“We were stuck behind a police car most of the way here—Auntie Stella decided to tailgate him, and he stopped her.”

“She sort of flirted with him, so he chatted her up and they’re going out to dinner next week.”

-oOo-

Now, after reading about Julie's experience with Leon's mum, I wonder how many more comments there'll be before someone mentions the old chestnut about hoping BLH will eventually change XY to XX...

.I've put this into spoiler tags as I've said it umpteen times before - as far as I know, Blue Light Healing just reverses damage done to the body - it does not create new tissue that didn't exist beforehand - or even change a person's genotype.
 
 
--Ben


There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

It's just a matter...

... of adding a little tail to the "Y"... And, you've got an "X". :-)

Oh - you're referring to the chromosome. That's a tad more complex, as the Y's slowly been stripped down to nubbins.

Bike pt 915.

Now, if Leon's Mum heals up without any direct contact with Cathy, but with Julie, would that be her 'powah' awakening?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Another very enjoyable episode

Just a family and friends having a good day together. Nothing at all wrong with that.

Is Cathy getting jealous.

Do I detect little green eyes studying Julie very closely?
Cathy seems to be taking an inordinate amount of interest in every aspect of Julie's life and dress styles.
Enjoying the story Angharad.
Cant put it down!
(Is that the right expression for a computer posting or is some imaginative genious going to coin a better phrase?"

Love it!
XOXO
Beverly.

Beverly Taff.
This is wierd. I haven't changed my password but the site wont dispayl all my thingies at the side like 'Submit Story'!

Can't browse away?

I suppose that's got to be the nearest computerland equivalent to "Can't put the book down"...


There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

I do love this story. I

I do love this story. I think Cathy is paying so much attention to Julie, not so much because of her actions, but rather how she dresses, reacts to situations and people, because Cathy never had the opportunity of being a 16 year old girl as Julie is. Cathy, sadly, can see her teen years in Julie and what she lost by not having them as a girl. Jan

The Slot Plickens...

or something...

Interesting reading of Julie's "life line". :-) I've found such readings "fun" in the past. I wonder what a TG person's line would look like (assuming this really worked). Could that be a reason for a lifeline being two parallel lines? LOL

But, now to the story. I've known folks that got really angry when they couldn't go their desired speed. One example that never made sense to me was driving in very heavy traffic, and someone decides they NEED to go faster than all the lanes - so he/she keeps tailgating & flashing lights - to get past one after another person. When there's been opportunity to see what happens (safely - for me) I've seen them end up arriving at the same time as others at toll booths, and other similar things. So, they build up steam complaining that people won't get out of their way. *sighs* Sounds like Stella has a bit of this, herself.

If Stella's driving scared Tom - I'd hate to think how he'd survive in a car driven by my old boss. (He paid his way through grad school as a NYC cabbie.)

Thanks,
Annette

Driving school

I learned how you're supposed to drive in NYC by observing the cabbies we rode with for a few days. When the time finally came that I had to drive us there, Hubby wouldn't let go of the "oh shit" handle until we were well down the Jersey turnpike. He was literally screaming long before we made the Tunnel.

I thought it was quite fun, really. I just couldn't get him to understand that apparently they call it I-95 because if you go slower than that(95 mph), the other drivers will run over you. We were halfway through North Carolina before he recovered enough to have a tantrum.

Battery.jpg

What To Say?

that I haven't said so often before like how much I'm enjoying the story line, the witty dialogue, the fact that the plot isn't transparent -- I'm never sure where we're going -- so take it that I've just said it all again.

On that last point, not knowing where the plot is going has two sides to it, eh? It seems to me that we've lost the momentum we'd built up heading toward the wedding blessing or am I just being impatient, as usual?

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

Kick off those shoes Girl, ten more for counting

I've lost count also, more than a carload x2= 10, unless there is a roof rack of course.
Nothing better than a meal you don't have to cook.

Cefin