Team Player

Printer-friendly version

Sometimes team sports can be a real challenge for someone who isn't athletically gifted. Of course, how much fun you have could depend on the team you're on.

Team Player

Copyright 2010 by Heather Rose Brown
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

"Hey!" Mandy shouted as she leaned her bat on home plate. "You can't kick him outta the game in the second inning."

Phil pointed to me and shouted back, "He can't catch or throw for crap. We're better off without him."

"You idiot! You've just got him playing the wrong position."

"What do you know?"

"Well, if you don't want him, let him join our team."

"Sure, take him."

Mandy grinned and waved to me. The girls on the bench shifted over, making room for me at the end.

Just like that, I switched teams ... in more ways than one.

up
67 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

If it entailed all of the nice things that accompany it...

Andrea Lena's picture

...I wouldn't actually mind hearing the words, "Hey..you throw like a girl!" Oh well
 

She was born for all the wrong reasons but grew up for all the right ones.
Dio benedica la mia bella amici, Andrea

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

such a nice little

such a nice little drabble... *hugs*
Shannon Johnston

Samirah M. Johnstone

Team Player

A drabble that says a lot in a few words. :)

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Joining the Team

littlerocksilver's picture

Nice touch. Baseball was the game when I was in elementery school. I couldn't throw, couldn't catch, couldn't hit, and struck out eight times out of ten. Strangely, I still loved the game. Somewhere in junior high school some things began to click. No one would take the time to teach me what to do, they just had more fun ridiculing me and my ineptitude. So, I took it on myself to learn how to play the game. Defensively, I became an adequate outfielder, but never having had instruction, ground balls ate my lunch. I taught myself how to switch hit. By the time college came around, I was playing fast pitch softball in a church league. I became a decent hitter with no power. I played intermural ball in college and our team won the school championship. In the military, I played fast pitch for four years until I married and they went to slow pitch.

I guess, the point is, had someone really cared to take the time to at least teach me the fundementals, maybe I would have not had to suffer the abuse that I did. Most just enjoyed making fun of me. It brought me to tears many times. I can remember going to the park to play pickup games and being chosen early because I could hit. One of my team mates went on to play in the major leagues for many years. It used to be, I was always last. What a humiliating process that was. Schools should never have allowed that process. It was very cruel because you were out there being pointed out as not being worthy of being a member of the team.

Learning to play ball and golf did a lot for my self esteem; however, if someone had taken an interest early on my attitude might have been remarkedly different about many things. My feelings about my gender never would have changed, though, and that was something that no one knew. I can imagine what would have happened if they did. This was back in the 1950's and early '60's.

Portia

Portia

Struck Out

I never made it through my first Little League game.

It was one of the early innings, and there I was, standing in the one position they'll often put the least gifted fielder, right field. There wasn't much to do, and the whole experience was a bit surreal. Suddenly, "Crack!" (this was before aluminum bats), and a baseball was heading down at me from the heavens! People were yelling at me, and I could see the baseball. "Catch it! Catch it!" This wasn't anything I was great at. Why else would I be in right field?

I stuck up the glove, determined to give it my best try. I kept my eye on the ball, lining it up with the glove. It was really coming at me fast. I was a little kid, with little hands, and a big glove. I couldn't really control it. The ball clipped the glove and hit me square in the eye. I don't know what happened to the kid who hit the ball. I guess he scored. I was busy lying on the grass. People were yelling, mad I had muffed the play.

I had a black eye for a couple of weeks. Plus, they kicked me off the team. I'm not sure which hurt most.

Very Cute!

Piper's picture

Very Cute!

-HuGgLeS-
-P/KAF/PT


"She was like a butterfly, full of color and vibrancy when she chose to open her wings, yet hardly visible when she closed them."
— Geraldine Brooks


Fun story

laika's picture

Not all drabbles seem like a complete story, this one did. The promise of good times and camraderie with the girls.
A really cute drabble, Heather. Happy to see something new from you! And for some reason this reminds me of...

On Star Trek Deep Space Nine once the DS9 team played baseball against the visiting Vulcans.
With their superior speed and strength and concentration the Vulcan team totally slaughtered them,
but Sisko, Dax, Leeta and the good-hearted but essentially useless Ferengi Rom were the ones having all the fun,
laughing and enjoying each other's company while the humorless goal-driven Vulcans tsk-tsked about the illogic of it all,
until you had to feel sorry for them for what they were missing. Though I'm not saying Mandy and her team are gonna lose...
~~~hugs, Laika

AND HEY, some nice person made a ten minute montage of that episode:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZz5Mdoevi0&feature=related

Thank you!

Thank you everyone for all your comments, votes, and for reading my drabble. I think it pretty much was inspired when I read Wanda Cunningham's story, Incognito Parallel. Even though it isn't complete, it's a wonderful story and I'd recommend it to anyone. :)

Charming

And Rich with fun allegory.