Punishment (warning, strong content)

Printer-friendly version

PUNISHMENT

Yes, my love, I am the guilty one
I made you lose your cool
I came home late or

smiled at another man
Not your fault you got jealous

Of course I should have never talked back
Or failed to straighten up the house
Because I know those things make you mad

I know that you are sorry
The flowers are very nice
I believe you when you say
You would not go so far again

I would gladly take you back
As I have before
If only I could
But feel free to drop on by
And leave more roses on my grave.

up
56 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I don't understand!

Why a woman would stick with such a monster. Why, why, why don't they just up and leave. That's the hard part I don't understand about women even though I strive to emulate them every time I dress. I suppose there's this man thing stuck in my brain that screams 'Escape! Run! Hide! Don't let them kill you; don't let HIM kill you.
It's a powerful poem and it moved me but I want to know more about a woman's primordial need that persuades her to stick with a monster who abuses her to the ultimate end.
Why! Why! Why!

I can't get my head around that. When faced with the prospect of death I just ran and ran and ran!

XOXO.
Beverly.

Beverly Taff.
This is wierd. I haven't changed my password but the site wont dispayl all my thingies at the side like 'Submit Story'!

A possible answer

Shamelessly ripped from the Randa's recent story:

“Listen, baby girl,” she said, “love isn’t logical. It’s not supposed to be. It’s deep and mysterious and full of confusion and contradictions. People click, or they don’t, but whatever happens when you fall in love is too powerful to ignore. Just because it’s not ‘smart’ to love someone doesn’t mean you can just stop. That’s why so many girls end up stuck in abusive relationships. It’s not that they want to get hurt. They just can’t leave. Because when you fall in love, logic takes a vacation and doesn’t bother coming back.”

I gave her a long look, and after a minute, she nodded. “Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt – along with the bruises, broken bones, and whatever else he did to me before I ran. Even when I was gone, I kept thinking about him, wondering if he was okay. Wondering if maybe since he drove me away, he’d learned his lesson. Part of me wanted to leave the shelter and go back, see if he’d changed. But then one of the other women did just that, and spent three weeks in intensive care before she died.”

Also, it's that it has been so long, they have forgotten what real life was like and how to function normally. It leaves much more than physical damage.

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Why?

RobertaME's picture

Why do we stay?

Why did I stay when she would hit me?

Because it was my fault. Because I wasn't man enough for her. Because I was weak. Because no matter how many times she promised it would never happen again, I believed her... because I loved her. I still do. I love her to this day, no matter how many times she broke her word. Every bruise, every injury, was a reminder that I didn't deserve her... could never deserve her. Even after 22 years of love from the woman who raised me up off my knees to stand with her as an equal, I still look in the mirror and hear her voice... screaming at me... tearing me down... blaming my failure to be what she wanted me to be for the bruises that I had to hide... and yet I love her still... because I never left her...

...she left me... and I blame myself for that too.

It's all to easy for a woman to see abuse this way... to internalize it and try to excuse it. And it's all too easy for the abusers to agree, and promise to be better next time... only for new grievances to wipe away reason to be replaced with rage.

And for us to try and see past the rage and hope that this will be the last time... and even if it isn't, the pain is better than the loneliness.

At least, that's why I stayed.