A Summer of Changes - Book 1 Chapter 8

Printer-friendly version

Denise

Jane’s big day, and Denise’s triumph, but then what?

A Summer of Changes

by Louise Anne Smithson

Chapter 8

‘The Wedding’

All the arrangements for the wedding day had been well-planned in advance and verified over the last few days and so the morning could be devoted to getting Jane and her two bridesmaids ready for the ceremony. Her father had been given a few last minute tasks to perform, deliberately, to keep him out of the way. The three girls had nothing more to do than to ensure that they were immaculately dressed and made up ready for the ceremony in the afternoon. Thus the three of them were up, bathed and dressed in their everyday clothes by 8.00 am and were waiting outside the hairdresser when it opened an hour later. Jane had booked the first three appointments for their hair to be pinned up into an elaborate style for the wedding. As they left, their hair looked flawless. They returned to find a young assistant from a local beauty salon had arrived to help Jane with her makeup.

‘Alright Denise, we now have about two hours to get ourselves dressed and then we can help Jane put on her dress. I suggest we help one another get ready. As soon as you've changed into your new underclothes you should bring everything you need into my room as it is larger than yours,’ said Samantha.

Denise did as she was told and the two of them spent much of the rest of the morning helping one another with their makeup and jewellery given to them the previous evening. Samantha carefully changed Denise’s earrings for her.

‘How are your ears feeling?’

‘They're still a little sore, especially when you inserted the new jewellery but I've been cleaning the holes each morning and evening with saline and so far they've not become infected.’

At about midday the bridesmaids called in on Jane and her helper and it was agreed everyone might stop for a sandwich and a cup of coffee before putting on their dresses.


Half an hour later, Denise and Samantha were both fully dressed, made up and ready, having spent time getting each other’s bows to look just right. They then went to help Jane put on her wedding dress and veil. At last she too was ready.

‘Oh Jane! You look so lovely,’ said Denise.

‘Thank you. You both look pretty good yourselves,’ she replied.

‘But it's the bride who always outshines every one else on her wedding day — you look quite perfect,’ said Samantha.

Jane blushed, but looked truly happy.

Samantha left the room to call their father who was ready and waiting downstairs with the chauffeur of the limousine, and his nephew. After staying to hear his reaction to seeing his daughter, Samantha took Denise downstairs to meet her cousin John who was going to drive them to the church. He was aged in his mid twenties, of average height, with a slightly retiring manner but a friendly face.

‘Hi John, I'd like you to meet our stand-in bridesmaid, Denise. You'll be sitting with her at the reception tonight.’

The look of surprise and admiration on his face was quite obvious.

‘Hello Denise, I'm really pleased to meet you. I must say that you and Samantha look really gorgeous in those dresses.’

She smiled, shook his hand and thanked him for the compliment, but before there was time for any more conversation Jane appeared together with her father and everyone’s attention was concerned with her and sorting out the wedding bouquets for the bride and her bridesmaids. Denise was pleased that she was no longer the centre of attraction.


At last they all got into the two cars with Denise and Samantha travelling in the back of John’s car, followed by Jane and her father in the limousine. As pre-arranged, they arrived at the church first. Denise was quite gratified that John came to her side to help her out of the car, and passed her bouquet. He then went round to the other side to help his cousin to get out. A few minutes later the limousine arrived with the bride and her father and the group assembled at the entrance to the church. Samantha and Denise made some last minute corrections to Jane’s dress and veil and checked her makeup. Her father then gave a signal and the organ began to play and the group began to walk down the aisle with the two bridesmaids following the bride and her father, to meet the groom who was standing with his best man. Denise, who had been frightened of tripping over ever since she put on her shoes that morning, took great care how she walked. She noticed that Helen and Sue were in the congregation, with the latter taking photographs with her digital camera. As soon as the bride has passed them Helen turned her attention to herself and smiled encouragingly. Denise lowered her eyes and coloured slightly but felt good.

All went well with the service and there were no slip ups by anyone during the ceremony. Afterwards the party went outside so that innumerable photographs could be taken of the young couple, with and without the bridesmaids and other attendants, and then with each of the guests. Thus it was half an hour before Denise was able to go over and talk to her workmates.

‘Well done Denise! You were brilliant,’ said Helen ‘no-one could possibly guess about you.’

‘Be careful not to speak too soon, there's still the reception to get through,’ answered Denise smiling, ‘but so far so good. But doesn’t Jane look beautiful?’

‘Yes of course,’ said Helen ‘she's really glowing’,

‘But so do you and Samantha,’ said Sue. ‘I've got some lovely digital photos to show everyone at work.’

‘Thank you. May I have a copy of some of the pictures you are taking?’

‘Of course, I've already promised to download them on to a disk for Helen tomorrow morning. I'll do one for you at the same time. By the way, are you still intending to change back into Denis tomorrow?’ said Sue.

‘Yes, I can't put it off any longer, and, yes, I'll need you to help me get changed at work tomorrow afternoon.’

‘Alright, after all I did promise to do so last week,' said Sue.

'By the way, how are you getting back to London tomorrow?’ asked Helen.

‘By train I suppose. I'll be travelling on my own as Samantha will be staying in Birmingham for a few days with her father.’

‘Sue and I came up in my car. We're staying in a local bed and breakfast tonight. Why don’t we give you a lift back?’

‘Thank you. That'll be a great help. What time are you planning to leave?’ asked Denise.

‘We'll pick you up at Jane’s house at ten o’clock tomorrow,’ said Helen.

‘In that case you both could have lunch at my flat and we could have a look at the photographs before we change you back? Alison will be there as well,’ added Sue.

‘I'm afraid I can’t stay, but I'd be happy to drop you both off,’ said Helen.

‘I’ll come for lunch as long as you promise to help me get changed afterwards,’ said Denise.

Denise joined in the fun when Jane tossed her bouquet among her friends and bridesmaids, but she did not try too hard to catch it, lest in doing so, she should fall over. Sue caught it and was congratulated by the bride. It was the first opportunity she had to exchange a few words with her friend and after complimenting her on her dress, enquiring about the honeymoon and offering her best wishes for the future, she turned the conversation towards the younger of her two bridesmaids who was chatting to a young man.

‘So much for the ugly duckling,’ commented Sue.

‘Yes, over the last ten days she's turned into a very fine swan indeed,’ answered Jane.


An hour later the wedding party re-assembled at a local hotel for the reception. Once again Denise and Samantha were required to carry out various small tasks on behalf of the bride to ensure that she always looked her best, before being excused to circulate among the guests.

‘Denise, I didn't get the chance to thank you for the vase as we were opening the presents. It was lovely, and there was really no need for such an expensive present, you’ve helped me enough, and in any event you already contributed to the present from work,’ said Jane.

‘That contribution was from Denis, the vase was from me, Denise,’ she answered.

Jane kissed her on the cheek.

‘Alright then, but you'd better go and get yourself a glass of champagne and take your place with the guests.'

Denise was introduced to various family members and John came over to introduce her to his sister Julie, who was on crutches with her leg in plaster.

‘I was sorry to hear about your accident and that you were unable to be Jane’s bridesmaid,’ said Denise.

‘So was I,’ she answered. ‘But don’t you worry, you've made an excellent stand-in and John will have a far better time escorting you this evening than he would have done with me.’

They continued to chat for a few minutes before the guests were invited to toast the bride and groom and then take their seats. John offered her his arm and together they found their places.


Somewhat to her surprise, Denise really enjoyed the wedding reception. She found herself seated between John and an elderly male relative, who was also fun to be with, and she found herself joining in the general conversation — something that Denis rarely did. John was attentive, and treated her exactly as if she were a woman. During the best man’s speech she was even given a special acknowledgment and compliment for stepping in at short notice. As soon as the meal and the various speeches were over, some of the younger guests began to dance.

‘Would you like to join them?’ asked John shyly.

Denise shook her head but was pleased to be asked.

‘Thanks for the offer, but I'm afraid I wouldn't dare to dance in these shoes, I'd be bound to fall over and I'd be frightened that my boobs might pop out of this dress.’

John said he did not mind and so they continued chatting in a friendly manner for a few more minutes until Jane and Simon, and Samantha and Peter came over.

‘Sorry John but I'd like to borrow my bridesmaid for a little while, but you can have a drink with Simon and Peter whilst I go to get changed.‘

John concurred and Denise followed the two sisters up to a hotel bedroom that had been booked for the purpose.


‘Before we get changed, may I just say how much I appreciate your help this weekend Denise, you've been absolutely wonderful,’ she said kissing her on the cheek.

‘It's true, you've been really brilliant, and you are now quite forgiven for last week,’ added Samantha who also gave her a hug.

Denise both smiled and blushed.

‘Thank you. I'm really pleased to have been able to help. Now that the ceremony is over I can honestly say that I'm glad that you bullied me into being your bridesmaid. I've had a lovely time with you and Samantha over the last week,’ she answered.

‘Samantha and I have chosen this outfit for you as a "thank you" present for stepping in at the last moment, and so you've something to change into,’ said Jane pointing to an attractive blue dress with a matching pair of low-heeled shoes and a set of underwear which had been laid out on the bed.

Denise felt genuinely surprised.

‘My goodness, thank you so much, you didn't need to buy me anything. In fact I'm collecting quite a wardrobe of female clothing, and I'm not sure when I'll be able to wear them next.’

‘Don’t worry the cost of clothes have come out of my father’s allowance for the wedding. If nothing else, you'll need to wear something nice when you travel back to London tomorrow,’ said Samantha. ‘I suggest that you leave the clothes you've borrowed from Jane in your bedroom. I'll arrange for them to be washed and returned to her.’

‘The bridesmaid’s outfits are also yours to keep, of course,’ added Jane, ‘they were also bought courtesy of my father. Now will you two give me a hand to take off this wedding dress and unpin my hair?’ said Jane.


Denise did as she was asked and helped her friend put on a black silk dress, whilst Samantha took the pins out of her hair and restyled it.

‘How about you Denise?’ asked Jane. ‘Would you like to change as well?’ asked Jane.

‘Oh yes please. It's been good fun to wear this dress and these shoes but my feet are now aching, and besides I'd now like to join the dancing.’

Her two friends helped her to change, and then she helped Samantha do so.

‘If either of you would like a little privacy with your respective escorts, then you're welcome to borrow this room until midnight, but don’t mess up the bed,’ said Jane.

‘There's no way that I'm going anywhere out of public sight with Peter,’ said Samantha, ‘but Denise you seemed to be getting on alright with John.’

Denise blushed.

‘Maybe, but I'm not sure that we'll want to go anywhere private,’ she replied.

‘Here, take the spare key card, just in case, it's at your disposal for the next three hours,’ said Jane.

‘One other thing,’ said Samantha. ‘Do you prefer apple, banana or vanilla?’

‘Apple, I suppose,’ answered Denise. ‘But why do you ask?’

‘There you are.’

Samantha handed her a fruit flavoured condom.

‘It's just in case you get lucky with my cousin.’

Denise blushed again, this time deeply, but she also took the offering and put in her handbag. The three of them then went down to join the young men.

Jane and Sue and their partners drifted off into the crowd leaving Denise and John together once again.

‘See, I've now changed my dress just so that I can dance with you, if you still want to do so,’ she said smiling.

‘Thank you, I'm flattered,’ he said getting up.


For the first time since she had dressed as a woman Denise felt truly confident in herself, in her appearance and everything felt just right. She danced well in her new clothes, far better than John. They remained on the floor for about an hour before he suggested that they should go for a walk on the lawn outside the hotel. As they did so he put his arm round her shoulders.

‘I thought you were supposed to be the shy cousin,’ said Denise.

‘I am normally, but I've really enjoyed meeting you today and I suppose that has given me courage.’

He turned to her and kissed her on the lips. It caught her by surprise. For a moment she was tempted to pull away, but then gave way to a long lingering kiss. As she did so she felt the shape of his hard penis in his trousers and suddenly her bubble burst.

‘Look, you do know all about me don’t you?’ she said worried that there might be some great misunderstanding.

‘Yes, Jane and Samantha have told me the whole story. I was anxious at first, but now that I've met you I can only say that I wish you really were a woman, and I could ask you out’.

‘Thank you for saying that, I too have enjoyed meeting you today. It has been a brilliant climax to a great week. At this moment I share the same wish as you but I have to remember that I'm not a woman, and however I may feel about you now, I'll probably feel differently tomorrow — there are just too many practical difficulties involved.’

He looked truly downcast.

‘Can’t we at least kiss one another goodnight?’

‘I guess that'll be alright this once,’ she answered.

Fifteen minutes later the couple returned to the dance looking slightly dishevelled to be met by some knowing looks from Sue and Samantha.


Soon after midnight the party broke up. The newly married couple went up to their bedroom as they were due to leave for their honeymoon early the next morning. Denise and Samantha and their partners said goodbye and wished them well. The bridesmaids were then given a lift home in Samantha’s father’s car. Just over an hour later, after her father had gone to bed, Samantha knocked quietly on Denise’s bedroom door.

‘Hello, who's there?’

‘It’s me, are you in bed yet Denise?’

Denise opened the door.

‘I was just cleaning off my makeup. I've been getting everything ready for tomorrow morning.’

‘Can I come in and ask you something?’

‘Yes of course.’

‘I just wondered what happened when you and John went to the garden together.’

Denise gave an account of their conversation.

‘And did he kiss you?’

Denise blushed, but also nodded.

‘Yes, several times. He had been so nice that I wanted to give him something to remember the evening.’

‘How did you feel about it?’

‘I think I liked it, but I'm not sure. I feel too confused about myself to know what I want.’

‘Anything else happened?’

‘No, I thought about the condom that you gave me, but I couldn't bring myself to use it.’

‘That's a pity. Will you be seeing him again?’

‘He offered to drive to London and take me out but I said no as I've to change back into Denis tomorrow.’

Samantha looked disappointed.

‘You know you don’t have to change back tomorrow; you could continue to stay at Shepherd’s Bush for the next fortnight whilst Jane is on her honeymoon, and I'm sure they would not mind at your work. That way you could see John again.’

‘You won’t be there for the first week, and I've already arranged to meet Sue tomorrow to get changed back. In any event my life is just too complicated at present as it is.’

‘That’s a pity, I got the impression that he really liked you, and also, if you were going out with my cousin, it would also mean we could stay as friends.’

‘Won’t you be able to stay friends with me as Denis?’ asked Denise a little surprised.

Samantha shook her head.

‘Sorry, but no, I've only ever known you as Denise. I've enjoyed your company over the last week, and we've become intimate as girl friends. I'd find it too upsetting to meet you again if you were dressed as a man. I wouldn't know how to react.’ A tear appeared in the corner of Samantha’s eye.

‘Oh, I see’ said Denise in a subdued voice. ‘But I've left some of my clothes still at your flat.’

‘You're most welcome to collect them at any time you want, and also to stay with me, so long as you do so dressed as Denise.’

‘But Samantha, I have to change back into Denis tomorrow afternoon, and it'll inevitably take some time to arrange things so that I can be Denise again’

‘In that case you won’t be needing those clothes for a while. If you haven’t been able to collect them in the meanwhile, I'll arrange for Jane to bring them into work for you one day when she gets back from her honeymoon.’

‘But can’t we even keep in touch by email or on the phone?’

‘Yes of course we can, so long as it is understood that I'm keeping in touch with my girlfriend Denise and not a young man called Denis, whom I've never met, and have no intention of meeting. Believe me, I really hope that you can find some way that we can meet again after tomorrow, but I insist we only do so as girl friends.’

‘I’ll try and think of some way that we can do so.’

End of Part 1.

(Next time - Denise feels that she must now revert to living as a young man, but can things ever be quite the same again?)

up
170 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

A Summer of Changes - 8

I can se the inner battle to come. But it is up to the authoress to decide who wins. It's nice that Denise has a guy that knows and likes her, and her friends want her to stay, too. Will be fun to see what happens.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

good luck

on the abroad trip. Be careful out there. This was an unforseen twist. I didn't expect the make out party, nor the brush off.

I know you need ...

... to give Denis a reason to want to be Denise in order for the story to continue, but come ON! I mean, he's the same person, no matter what he's wearing!!! Why not give the poor guy a break? Is Samantha really so shallow that all she can see is the outside and ignore the sweet guy within?

Hmmmm ... if that's the case, maybe Denis is better off without her, as a friend or anything else.

Never mind. *grin*

Randa

Very good, very charming, very sweet and a tad disturbing

He may be convincing as a woman, with his slight, androgynous build and all but did he ever say at any point in the story he was gay or bi or had experimented? Did he admit to wanting to be a girl, that in his mind he is she? Any medical evidence of being intersexed or even a real female who has ambiguous external sex characteristics? I don't recall any of that. All I see is a 18 year old who is small for his age and a potential late bloomer. What gives them the right to make him into her?

IE the BIG question is is this a coming of age story or one where well meaning people may do more harm than good? Or have I missed a big clue and am totally off my trolley here? -- snicker --

I must sadly agree with Randalynn, Samantha comes off as selfish or to be charitable maybe she's a lesbian at her core thus cannot bring herself to see Denise as Denis, too painful for her to see dream lover as the other sex.

Great yarn so far. Definitely NOT cardboard characters. You make me care what happens to them.

Have a safe trip.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Denis/Denise

Perhaps Samantha should subsequently meet Denis somewhere unconnected with previous events and get to know him without realising he has an alter ego. Then when she discovers the truth, hilarity ensues...

Penny

Well John at the wedding reception I believe -

He was kissed in the garden by another John or was it you?

And thoroughly enjoyed it, then before returning to the reception they kissed again for 15 mins!

Doesn't this suggest he may be inclined to like his female persona?

And also he really was too submissive into agreeing to become the bridesmaid and act the part for a week?

I think Dennis will slowly fade away never to be seen again!

LoL
Rita

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

Even though the kisses

Were obviously enjoyed by Denise, that does not imply that Denis wants to turn his whole life head over heels and become a woman.

I liked the wedding and reception scenes, very nicely done.

Samantha's comments at the end of the chapter are another push to have him stay as a female, and in effect are a bribe, that he can only be friends with Samantha as Denise. To me, that level of shallowness would not induce me to become long term friends, I'd be moving on and leaving that person behind.

Continuing to Enjoy

littlerocksilver's picture

A well crafted and tantalizing tale. Portia

Portia

The next 24 chapters?

It's hard to say exactly what will happen, but at a rough guess:
* Denis returns on Monday
* The rest of the office are subdued - Denis notices their change in attitude
* The rest of the office find excuses to let Denise come out and play - including at work time
* At some point in time, Denise is seen more often than Denis.
* Eventually, Denis/Denise makes a life-changing decision.

Of course, Denis has been contracted to help with the IT systems, so it's unlikely we'll get a repeat of the situation in Melanie Brown's "Office Bet" where a corporate customer meets the alter-ego and expects them to be in charge of the project, effectively forcing the alter-ego to be around 24/7. But no doubt Louise will concoct some form of scheme to persuade Denise to hang around longer than a few days!

-oOo-

Meanwhile Lousie, is your work taking you anywhere exciting / interesting over the next few months? :)
Feel free to submit the occasional blog updating us on how life is like (outside work, for obvious reasons) in the country/ies you visit :)

 


There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Post them all now. I hate

Post them all now. I hate the wait.

And where would the fun be in that?

I hope that comment was meant in jest :)

We know the story will be finished by the time it has completed posting, so we're not going to be left hanging in limbo forever.

And I like the "drip feed" of story parts - it's nice to turn on the computer in the morning and see a new chapter of one of the two dozen stories you're currently reading posted. Besides which, posting one part at a time with a gap in between allows time for reflection and comment, whereas if all parts were posted simultaneously, most wouldn't get any comments as people would race through to the end.

 


There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Hope you can post

new chapters soon ..... This story is very addictive!!!

Kirri

Thanks very much for the

Thanks very much for the nice interesting story.

I look forward to the evolution of Denise.

D

SHY !!

ALISON

After being off line for the last 11 days it was lovely to come back and have two
chapters to read of this sweet story.As I've said all along,the shy young man
is finding herself in the nicest way.Thank you.Alison

ALISON

least i sort of get to cheat (smiles)

as I'm reading this bout a year everyone else, i get lots of chapters to read together & I"m thourghly enjoying the read

thanks

That damn girl...

...samantha makes a lot of demands for her friendship! The guy needs his head examined if he agrees to be denise to favor a girl who will not even give denis (the person he really is) a chance. His compliance with all this was as denis. Their initial regard for him was as he was denis. He is surrounded by a bunch of selfish bi*ches.

Going to miss Denise

Kind of disappointing, having Denis back, I rather hope Denise makes a quick return.
Ah well, that could be why there are more Books to go.
I think John feels the same way.

Cefin